Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• beancounterbeancounter Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for your reply. I am glad to finally hear some good news on the subject. Was hoping a brake job might take care of the problem, but your post is the first I've read to actually say it. I've put almost 1,000 miles on since the brake job, and I don't see near the brake dust on the rear wheels. I'll take that as a good sign. These pads are from NAPA. I considered letting my local dealer take a look at them, but I didn't want to get soaked if they weren't covered under warranty, and based on everything I read, they were out of warranty. Still wondering why Ford would use those pads in the first place. What are they putting on the new Taurus's?

And, how do you like your 500 after that many miles?
  • 01taurussel01taurussel Member Posts: 43
    It's my folks car......I live near by, and drove it for a day while my 500 had some work done. Its pretty solid and been reliable for that many miles. Mine has 70k on it, and both feel very similar (solid!)

I think it has a motor mount shot - it vibrates pretty bad (compared to when it was newer/my 500) when the AC is on.

Don't bother trading in - not worth a penny. Drive them til the wheels fall off and take care of it.
  • tharrountharroun Member Posts: 8
    Did you ever find ou how they fixed the "bucking"?
  • vocomdudevocomdude Member Posts: 3
    :sick: while I agree with another post that we have to live with our choice to purchase a vehicle from a company with a history of products that are worth a mere pitance of the purchase cost, look at any three year old Crown Vic, the 500 cannot even make it to 100,000 miles. Congrats to you that got past that number. It reminds me of the cars of the late 60's that were scrap at 100,000.

This has been the most disappointing car purchase I have ever made. This is only second to the Pontiac Grand Am which at least made it to 90,000 and six years before I started having any major problems and I could deal with those. This car has been a headache from day one especially with that annoying vibration. OSHA has a standard for vibration in a tool that causing your hands to tingle for hours after using it. I had this problem with the steering wheel when I first got the car. I don't notice it now but I had problems in the beginnig.

Now the car jerks dangerously to the left when it shifts into third gear and it threw me into the other lane. Thankfully the driver in the other lane saw me an averted disater. What the hell is this. I see that no one else seems to have had this problem so obviously there will not be a recall but I want to warn owners of this vehicle so that there loved ones are protected. Be careful when going around sharp turns at speeds greater than 40 mph. The reaction from the front steering can cause you to lose control.

I will not be buying another American vehicle. I am proud and have tried to buy American all my life. This lack of care that the dealers give and the product that is sold to us it ashame. I have said it for years, their failure was going to happen. We should not be bailing out companies that put out such crap. I love the room the car provides and the comfort. But the reliability is garbage. I am open to suggestions on a great car. Don't even try and tell me how wonderful Ford is. I will not buy it.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    You may have a broken motor mount and/or transmission mount. Have that checked.
  • vocomdudevocomdude Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your time to reply. I appreciate it.
  • randy99randy99 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue with my 2005 Montego AWD with the instrument gauges. I bouth this car used back in march out of Florida and love, however after a few months, noticed that the darn gauges kept going off and on, and while off, the AC stopped working too along with funny things going on with the back-up sensors. Just today, the instrument cluster went off again, but this time stayed off for most of the day. When it finally returned, it left a check engine light. I stopped my at my local repair shop and they took the code which showed a "board" behind the cluster to be bad. He called a Ford dealership and they admitted that this is an issue with the Montego's and 500's. Waiting to hear now what the cost will be and whether Ford will subsidize since they know they are having issues ... which I doubt. More to come.
  • biggdog2808biggdog2808 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Ford 500. The brake lights appear as if someone is "riding" them. Has anyone else had, or heard of this issue?
  • joan63joan63 Member Posts: 1
    I am taking my 2005 Montego to the Ford dealer tomorrow for a very similar problems, only with associated cruise control problems. About a year ago, my cruise control would cut out while I was driving. Usually when that would happen, it would not be reset. The next time I drove it, it may or may not work. Then for the last 8 months or so it worked fine. About two weeks ago, it went out completely. A coworker told me yesterday, after driving behind me, that my brake lights were on all the time! No wonder the cruise won't work. A year ago the estimate was $900 to fix it, so I said forget it. A year ago they "thought" it might be due to the brakes. Does your cruise control work?
  • enor34enor34 Member Posts: 3
    I am having an issue with my cruise control that I wonder if anyone has any answers at first it worked fine, then I replaced the front rotors with aftermarket rotors and my cruise would work for a while then it work turn off electrically and maybe restart or not. Now I have no power to it at all and it refuses to get any power at all. Any suggestions as to a fix.

Thank you
    Did Ford fix the problem and what was the fix I have the same problem?

Thank you
    Hello,

I just got on a website called Ford Forums.com and read a post by someone that had the same issue and I now have just found that I have the same issue to, brake lights on going down the road, his solution was that the gap between his brake light swith and his brake pedal was a little to large, he adjusted his brake light switch gap in a little bit and this solved the problem. He has not had a problem since. I know it does not make sense and I am an old auto mechanic and it does not make sense to me either, but have the dealer try this you have nothing to loose and it is a very inexpensive repair. I am trying it on my own 500 to see how it works.
  • mrp85mrp85 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 05' Five Hundred used with 30,000 miles on it...i've had the car for about 9months and it's having problems galore. When i turn my wheel it makes a real loud annoying whine sound. It's been to 2 mechanics and they said they can't find anything wrong with it. My top dash board has bubbles. The car kicks at about 40 mph, and now when i break the freakin car rumbles. All this just happened at once. The car is going to the Ford shop this week, but i just think all of this is out of pocket. You should really hear the damn steering wheel!
  • lostalotlostalot Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used ford 500 LTD with approx. 82k miles on it just over a month ago. The dealership knew I needed a dependable car because of all the traveling it would be put through. The second day I had the car the check engine light came on, three day the instructment panel went haywire, took it to the dealership and they said drive it it will be fine, 1100 miles from home, the cruise control stopped working, then it started losing speed, then it completely died. It would not start back up and I had purchased an extended warranty with roadside assistance which the dealership had not activated nearly two weeks later so I had to find a way back home to get someone to go get the car and into the shop.
    They informed me that my cat convert wasnt working and it had eaten a hole in the manifold. They said they replaced it all but they didnt have time to fix the instructment panel after a week when they knew I had to leave out again. They said it was fixed as I headed out. Got away from home and then the check engine light (which they told me was due to the instruct panel wouldnt go off) went off and then check transmission light and the wrench light came on. Parked it called roadside assistance, they came and got the car this time but only would pay half the tolling bill so I had to cover the other half. The nearest dealership that said they could fix it was 30 miles away so I had to wait another week to get the car back and they would never get me a rental car so I had to hire a taxi to take me where I needed to go. That dealership told me the problem was the preivious dealership didnt put a gasket on it. After the second one charged the first one with the repair charges, they call me and tell me it is rdy. I hire someone to take me to get it but two or three miles from the dealership they call me and tell me that the check engine light came back on and they had to take it back in. The next day they call me and tells me that my ERG value needs replaced but my extended warranty wont cover the repair (which it is with the emissions system so this I dont understand) and it would cost me another 300.00 dollars to get this fixed. I told them I would come get the car if I could drive it until I got paid to get it fixed. I was told the check transmission light didnt come back on at all. Yesterday, after two days the light comes back on and it starts losing speed. I am at my witts' end as to what to do to get it fixed.
    One good thing the cruiise control hasnt, as of yesterday, went back out after the cat convert was replaced.
    Could someone give me any suggestions as to what to do to get it fixed and running at least halfway right so I can get back home?
  • jrwolfjrwolf Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have news on the bucking situation i have a 2005 500 AWD with a cvt and have been battling this problem since we bought the car. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
  • hemingway1hemingway1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 ford 500 with power adjustable pedals. My cruise control does not work, my brake lights are on constantly. When I lift up on the brake pedal from the backside with the top of my foot the brake lights go off. I haven't tested to see if this makes my cruise control work or not, I'll do that tomorrow! But, it makes sense to me that there is a problem in the way the brake light switch works. I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on this problem because a good ol' guy at a "dying because the econony is the dumps" car repair shop on back street USA can adjust this and will work with it until it's right if this is the fix.
  • hemingway1hemingway1 Member Posts: 2
    In regard to your whinning turning I had same. My mechanic sprayed WD 40 on the big rubber gaskets that sit at the top of the struts and it went away! Ha --- I paid him $20 but he didn't want to take anything for it. P.S. He sprayed a lot of that stuff on them and bounced them up and down a bit to get it into the crevices. It came back once when it had rained a lot but then it shortly went away again.

I also had problem with braking...terrible dragging sound. I took to dealer with just a smidgen of over 36000 miles and he said he was going to have to turn the rotors. I INSISTED that I had never had rottrotors turned on any vehicle with less than 60,000 miles on them and I've had more than a few autos and I should not have to put up with turned rotors on a car with 36000 - they can only be turned once these days and he install new rotors.
  • ctrygirlctrygirl Member Posts: 1
    So when you adjusted the brake light switch and the brake pads did that solve your problem with the brake lights being on constantly? And it was inexpensive at the repair shop? So you didn't have any problems with your cruise control going down while going down the road? Cause mine is doing that by going down while moving and the brake lights stays on too.
  • rosy2rosy2 Member Posts: 1
    2007 FORD 500 LIMITED I HATE MY CAR /// the word limited really means you can only drive your new car for a limited amount of time. a piece of junk every thing goes bad,, in shop over 70 days total since i bought it new, is it just my car ? Just a few things, oil leaks, trans, molding, seats, seat heaters, windows, brakes, all clusters, trunk, tires, door entry, car alarm, exhaust, a/c etc... :lemon:
    rather drive my 92 dodge ram van
    i'm lost as to what to do, i can not get past ford customer service who said sorry your case is closed. is there anything else i can do for you today. AS FOR THE BRAKES I NOW HAVE HAD THREE SETS OF PADS AND ONE SET OF NEW RODERS. :lemon: my car is in the ford dealer at lease every two months. if you can believe this one the service manager said to me " you are to attuned to your cars needs. most people don't even hear these sounds you are talking about. the one sound he was talking about is from the first week i bought this car i heard a noise coming from what seemed to me was maybe by the trans. it was a very soft rumbling. the car went back and fourth to this shop many times for this noise and they could never find it saying well must just be you , we believe you do think you really hear it. then after 42000 miles when i drove it in to the shop building myself they finally heard it well by this time it sounded like a truck. the muffler system never , never was put on the car correctly it was suppose to have had a weld. it never had this weld from the factory. the mechanic said that this was the first time ever they have seen this. i guess my question is has anybody ever got a buy back from FORD and how did they do it. oh i also had to buy an 1800,00 extended warranty.
  • dees227dees227 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2005 montego aswell, I had to take my car in to the dealership they said it was front strut suspention causing the winning sound. It too happened over night.
  • 54brian54brian Member Posts: 1
    My 500 Limited driver seat heater failed. When I turn on the seat heater, the dashboard switch high and low indicators blink twice and go off. The local Ford dealer has no record of a service bulletin. Can you help identify the bulletin?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    TSB 09-4-8

03/09/09
    INOPERATIVE HEATED SEAT(S) - BUILT
    BEFORE 12/14/2007

FORD:
    2005-2007 Five Hundred, Freestyle
    2008 Taurus X, Taurus

MERCURY:
    2005-2007 Montego
    2008 Sable

ISSUE
    Some 2005-2007 Freestyle, Five Hundred, Montego and 2008 Taurus, Sable and Taurus X vehicles built before 12/14/2007 may exhibit an inoperative heated seat(s). This concern may be caused by an intermittent open element in the heated seat mat.

ACTION
    Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

The heated seat system is controlled by the heated seat module located underneath the front passenger seat cushion. The heated seat switches are part of the heating ventilation air conditioning (HVAC) module but the heated seat system operates independently from the climate control system. The heated seat module regulates seat temperature by monitoring resistance of a thermistor type thermostat located in the cushion heater mat. The heated seat module is designed to remain on, heating the seat and maintaining temperature until switched off. For vehicles built before 5/1/2006, the module will time-out and switch off after 10 minutes.
    1. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-10 for pin point test on inoperative heated seat(s).

a. When testing the heater mats resistance and circuits for an intermittent open, technicians should sit in the seat while testing the circuit resistance, move the seat in multiple seating positions and apply pressure to several areas of the heated seat mat to ensure the mat element is not open intermittently.

2. Refer to WSM 501-10 for heated seat element replacement when an open electrical circuit has been identified.
  • c2c35c2c35 Member Posts: 37
    Im up in the air right now with my 05' limited. I love the car but now i have a bunch of maintenance things to take care of. like the cvt service that i cant get a straight answer from any dealership on how much its gonna cost, to fuel filter, i have a really loud creeking noise comming from the front end when i put the brakes on ect. or i actually found the exact same car with less than half of the miles than my car has. oh by the way i have 83323 miles on it. I could either use the 1000 bucks to put down on the other 500 limited with 40,000 miles and a warrantee. So any advise out there?
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Are you trading in your car? if so what difference do they want? If the difference is reasonable I would go for it. The CVT is a problem. Lack of technician experience with this transmission is a concern.
    i decided against trading in the car, plus someone else jumped on it! i guess its time to shell out the 375.00 for the cvt service. I do have a very good mechanic at a ford dealership who i do trust. I'm also going to look into some things to possibly up the performance of my ltd. If anyone out there has any knowledge of performance parts for a 500 please let me know! :shades:
  • robertsmeetsrobertsmeets Member Posts: 4
    I have had this car since Jan. 07 and really have not had too many issues with it and the ones i did have were typically fixed under warranty, the one remaining item was the problem with the trunk not releasing, it would take several clicks and a simultaneous pull to get it to open. I noticed on the 09 Taurus Ford had incorporated a new design on the trunk strike, it now has a spring activated finger that will push the latch/lid up when it is released. After several tries we finally got the right part in at the dealer, i picked it up today and installed it, it takes about a half hour to install/adjust and seems to work perfect, but will know for sure after the trunk has been closed for an extended period, the trunk now lifts about an inch when released. The parts costs about $16 and you will have to remove the rear interior trunk trim to install it, for those interested the part number i have in front of me is 6G1Z-5443252-A. You can also look at the new Fusion in the show room i believe they use the same style, so does the 09 Sable (not sure about the 10 Taurus), Good luck!!!
  • computergurucomputerguru Member Posts: 1
    Is this a good idea? Gosh, after having reviewed the 18 or so pages on the forum, it sounds like it may not. My dad is considering one - and will meet with the existing owner tomorrow morning, and will then proceed to his mechanic to have the vehicle inspected.

The mileage is 38,000.00 and the private owner is asking $11,000.00.

Is this a good deal?

It seemed like most of the issues were with the 2005 model, and after having reviewed Consumer Reports Buying Guide 2010 - the overall repair history is average, with the brakes being below average. Many of the discussions centered on:

1. Rear Brakes - a nuisance - but repairable.
    2. Gas Cap
    3. Instrument Cluster - Mercury Montego - Mainly
    4. Bucking - Gosh, in some instances it was serious enough for the dealer to recommend replacing the transmission.
    5. Rear trunk latch - this was repairable.
    6. Heated Seats
    7. Driver's window.

Any thoughts about this from existing owners of 2007 models would be much appreciated.
  • abcde6abcde6 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 Montego purchased used in late 2008 with 10k miles. I purchased the vehicle instead of a Toyota Avalon, which was 25-30% more higher in cost with more miles and fewer options. I like the car a lot, even though in hindsight I overpaid for it. I have put 24k miles on it in 18 months. The standard brake pad problem was taken care of under warranty, I have some slight bubbling on the lid on the dash compartment lid (unrecognizable to everyone except me). The trunk release problem resolved itself on its own. All of these issues are referenced by other owners in other posts.

I get lots of compliments on the car, but of course no one knows what it is. The rear seating and trunk compartment are huge. The car came loaded with every available option other than a moonroof and I plan to drive it til it isn't reliable transportation - hopefully to 150k miles or more. Sounds like purchasing one of these is like getting Forest Gump's box of chocolates. But I'm happy with mine. Good luck.
  • jbubbajjbubbaj Member Posts: 1
    I also have a '06 Five Hundred with the same issue. Were you able to repair the heated seat? If so, what was involved?
  • phylisspphylissp Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 Limited Ford 500. I am at 18,000 miles and my warranty expired yesterday. Just yesterday I started hearing a grinding noise from the rear when applying my brakes. I called the dealership only to be told the warranty would not cover the brakes anyway. Never in my life and I have owned lots of cars have I had to replace brakes at 18,000 miles. I will not be buying another Ford - too bad because this is my 3rd Ford from this dealership. If they have a known problem with the brakes then why the heck don't they correct it???????????????? I wouldn't buy one.
    I thought Ford extended the warranty on the rear brakes. Do a search and I think you'll find plenty of discussion on the topic. You're not the only one. The Five Hundred has a real issue with pre-mature brake wear in the rears. I had the same problem. Took it to my mechanic (it was beyond even the extended warranty) and had the problem taken care of. I think they did pads (a good set of after-market pads) and turned the rotors. That was about 25,000 miles ago. The problem with premature wear should not recur. The problem with heavy brake dust build-up on the rear wheels is also eliminated. Unless noone is taking their cars back to your Ford dealer, he should be well aware of the problem with these cars. You can also Google "Ford Five Hundred rear brakes", and probably find the Tech Service Bulletins issued by Ford about the problem. Get the brakes fixed and I think you'll fall in love with the car again. I love mine. (2007 Limited)
    I had same problem with my '07 Ltd. Was lucky it happened just before warranty expired. Dealer replaced the Drivers seat bottom heater and the Heater module.
    I love my '07 Ltd despite the issue with the rear brakes and problem w/ heated seat. Both have been resolved. I have 64,000 miles on mine and hope to go to 200,000 or more. (249,000 miles on my Sable, which my daughter is now driving) I love the interior, especially the rear seat leg room. One thing I wish it had tho is better performance at highway speeds. It is underpowered and downshifts way too easily. Drove the new Taurus and loved the performance, ride, and handling. But, I would have to give up all that great back seat leg room. If you get the 500, I think you can also expect faster than average depreciation, which is why I will probably keep mine to 200,000 or so. (If I didn't need a roomy car for 4 adults, I also liked the Ford Fusion and Merc Milan with the V6)
    I just read your message and i hope yur dad bought the car. It seamed like a real fair price. I have a 2005 ltd awd and i love it! I've never heard of the car ever "bucking" I bought mine a few years ago with 31k on it and i commute and i have now 86k knock on wood the only problems i've had has been changing tires and brakes! o yeah finding a good dealership to do the cvt service. other than that it's a great buy! :)
    just wondering if anyone out there has changed the plugs on their 500 yet? I was told I have to buy new replacement seals. :)
    You know I would love to get a little more kick out of my ltd also mine is a 05 with 86k all highway. I have just tested on 2 other cars and one of em is a ford escape is those bosh plugs with the 2 prongs. Both of the vehicles 1 is a dodge caliber and the escape both are commuters and both drivers tell me they deffinitely feel and see a big difference in power and fuel. There is another plug that bosh makes that is a 4 prong witch i was concidering but, the prices for the 2 prong bosh plus the replacement seal package costs about 77 bucks and i think for the 4 prong add about another 10 to 15 bucks (thats with the seals)! Gotta love the LTD'S! I have also installed a k&n air filter that i saw a proven difference, my friend has an 06 ltd and we went head 2 head and i was able to get em off the line easier. Plus it gives a little somethin on the highway when passing. I am like you though when it come to the depreciation i'm gonna be in it for a while but it doesn't mean we can't have some fun in comfort! :shades:
  • coloradobjcoloradobj Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2005 LTD... I bought it new (bought the extended warranty since it was a new model year but haven't had to use it)...

With all the recent rebates, I wondered about getting a new vehicle and went shopping... Thankfully I live in a smaller town (about 60,000) and the people at our Ford Dealership here they are very honest and straight forward...

I asked the sales person about trading this car and getting something for about the same payment (I've got another year of payments)... of course he asked me what I wanted and after thinking things through, it turns our I want pretty much what I've got... my car has all the bells and whistles (sun roof, heated seats, leather interior, it goes on and on)... I added Blue Tooth and GPS after I bought the car, I put on beautiful chrome wheels, a spoiler (that changes the look of the car greatly, from a plain sedan to a sporty car) tinted the windows, put on a billet grill (again, it goes on and on)...

My dealer was very honest with me... he told me, I should keep what I've got... he said this engine should get me 200,000 to 250,000 miles and the transmission (CVT) shouldn't have any problems...

I took his advice, put $150 into having it detailed (it was brought up to "show room" new) and I couldn't be happier...

I've had the the brakes changed (note the rear break recall earlier on) and I did have a problem with the driver side seat heater - it tried to burn up my seat (literally)... they replaced that (I had about 5,000 miles on the car at the time)... that's it !!!!

This had been a great car and I don't regret buying it... I intend to keep it until I drive the wheels off of it...

My two cents... anyone considering buying a Five Hundred... just because they don't make it, don't let that stop you... in fact, take advantage of the fact that the price is so low (and that's ONLY because they stopped using the name Five Hundred - it's now Taurus)

Still lovin' my Five Hundred...
  • coloradobjcoloradobj Member Posts: 7
    BTW, I've got just shy of 56,000 miles on my car and keep up the maintenance religously...

I expect my car to last another 15 years minimum... and I'm completely "ok" with that...
    well last night I was searching through google looking up ways to find if there was any recalls on my 05 LTD that my dealership just never told me about. Well I found one! The site is called ALLDATAdiy.com I couldn't believe all of the info that I found. Yes it's one of those pay sites but, I didn't spend dime one to print out all of the recall notices which include the recall dates! Well tommorrow i'm gonna have a little talk with my dealership and bring this list with me. I will post another message with my outcome.
    anyone out there changed the spark plugs on there 500 ltd yet? I can see that it looks like a pain!! I've been told that you have to not only get the new plugs of course but also get new gaskets. I was just wondering while im at it should i change the wires in the back? Im not planning on getting rid of this car any time soon. I really wish that ford didn't screw up with the names of these cars maybe they would be worth the money that we owners who love em believe they should be worth!!! :shades:
  • dale64dale64 Member Posts: 1
    After a diagnostic at the dealer, I replaced the EGR & fuel filter. The car will not shift unless the gas pedal is released. Another mechanic said it could be the EGR coil, what is this? This car has a CVT transmission that was serviced in 09/09.
  • swarferswarfer Member Posts: 1
    I bought the car new and just had a rear brake issue occur at 29500 miles. Having read the postings prior to bringing the car in to the dealer, I knew what to expect. My vehicle was made in January 2008, the pad material was changed late in 2007. I first noticed a scraping sound during braking at very low speed in reverse similar to worn out brake metal to metal contact. The braking of the car felt "different" with the pedal going down a half inch more than originally with a definite two stage effect. Also the the car seemed to nose dive more than originally in high speed heavy braking situations. The parking brake would no longer hold on a steep driveway. The rear rotors were scored and the visible pads seemed worn down. Like everyone else, my experience is 3 to 4 front brake jobs for every rear.

My dealer, Cogswell Motors, Russellville, AR, did an excellent job of working thru the problem. With new pads and machined rotors, braking is fully restored to original. I examined the old pads. The outside pads were 50% worn, the inside pads less so. Apparently Ford setup the 500 with extra rear brake bias to reduce dose dive which it does very well until rear brake job time. My front brake pads and rotors are still in excellent condition. There was no metal to metal contact, just sounds like it. Bottom line: Instead of replacing front brakes more often than rear, its simply the other way around. When the rear bakes wear and become less effective, more braking is shifted to the front which is really normal with most cars. Little or no braking is actually lost, just feels like it. Now that I understand what is going on, I don't see this as a big problem.

Overall, I really like the 500. Its big, roomy, lots of glass and gets decent gas milage (last trip 26.5 mpg @ 75 mph with some mountain driving and 10% alcohol gas). For what I paid, it was and is a real bargain. I can hear the car salesman when your trying to trade your 500, "Gee whiz buddy, you got a reeel brake problem there, I'm gonna have to offer ya $1500 less than you think she's worth. I'm taken a chance here, ya know brake problems are reeel tricky."
  • 51yrsgm51yrsgm Member Posts: 2
    I have all the exact problems you have , on my 07 500 I also purchaced very high quality, expensive touring tires didn't help at all.
  • nan1947nan1947 Member Posts: 1
    i purchased a 2007 ford500 limited about a month ago....
    i drove to mpls mn which is about 90 miles west of where i live...
    while in mpls a message comes on stating the quality of oil is at
    1 % and should change oil soon....the sticker in the window stated that the oil should be due for changing about the time i came back home...my question is can i drive the car until i get my oil changed a week from today...???? what exactly is the message saying....
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    The message has nothing to do with the quality of the oil. It is timed for six months or 5000 miles. if you left it in the driveway for six months, the message would still appear.
  • elastinelastin Member Posts: 1
    Ive got almost 90k miles on a 06 500. Almost time for the major service. Does anybody know when the timing belt has to be changed. Or is there a timing chain?

Only problem that Ive had with this was a broken motor mount (the middle one) at 75k miles
  • tictoc1tictoc1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Did you ever find a solution to this? It is very scary.
  • mikew2214mikew2214 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 fivehundred SEL and I have a little issue when im in gear and just lightly tap on the gas and under thousand RPM my car hesitates do anybody have any suggestions as to why this could be? Im just over the 100k mark and i have had the 100k tune-up so i have no idea what to do :confuse:
  • dbgobblerdbgobbler Member Posts: 1
    had 22000 mi. on the ol'500 when i changed the back brakes, but instead of using the normal stuff i went with aftermarket, EBC brake pads and slotted,vented rotors, now at 55000 mi, i still have a good chunk of pad left, paid under $500 to have them installed, and no rusty rotors, vibrations, or problems check them out at EBC brakes website, pep boys also does the ordreing and installation but they are expensive. on the other hand it beats having to change the pads every 10-20000 mi ;)
  • spikeenixspikeenix Member Posts: 1
    i got my five hundred last year but anyway my dad works on cars and i have a timeing belt look where u fill up your oil that is the chain inthere the car should never have to be timed