Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 450h Engine Problems

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
Having an issue under the hood? Share your story and offer advice in this discussion.

Comments

• bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    I've got about 1,500 miles now. During the first 6 weeks of driving the car, the engine shutdown when at rest was imperceptible, and the reignition only barely noticable. Lately the engine gives a shudder that briefly shakes the car when stopping, and the restart seems a little rougher than when it was new.
    Anyone else notice degradation in smoothness at transitions? It's not terrible, but enough to notice the change.
    I have not had a chance to bring it into the dealer to be checked out.
  • bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    With note to gs450h's earlier post, I have only been using premium fuel. Maybe it could have something to due with new fuel blends for summer in the Northeast? Again, I have to check with the dealer.
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    In my 450h this is a slightly noticeable transition when coming to a full stop. You can feel the engine come to rest with the electrical motor taking over before its time to take off again. Very nice imho. Always look forward to that liftoff again after a stop. Very smooth, quiet and very fast.
  • groarygroary Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone,

Anyone out there that has a Lexus GS450h 2007 and 60000 miles that has experienced a crunching noise in the engine particulary when starting the car from cold the noise lasts for 30 seconds and then disapears sounds like a timing chain maybe?? can any help??

regards John
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A crunching noise? That feels like it can't be good, even though it goes away. I'm no expert, but the timing chain doesn't seem like it would be a culprit to me (remember, no expert) as those chains would have very little play in them right? If a chain was making some kind of noise, I would imagine that it would keep making it.

Now to be like Car Talk :P ... could you be more descriptive of the noise. Is it a metallic crunching?
    the noise sounds like that the starter motor takes longer than usual to disengage when starting however i am told that the gs450h cars dont have a starter moter and that the car is started with the hybrid motor instead which is engaged continuosly so that rulles that out . the garage has told me that the noise is only presant until the oil get around the engine ???? why was this noise only just appeared?? however there is a small device which expands with oil pressure that puts pressure on the wear strips of the timming chail to stop it from rattling I wonder if this is the reason why is noisey at startup????? if there is any other gs450h users out there with the same problem please let me know???

regards John
  • sammysmsammysm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 GS 350 and I'm getting the same noise on start up randomly about once a week. Lexus tells me they can't do anything unless they can duplicate the problem. My guess is it's the timing chain. It's frustrating and not what one would expect from a $50,000+ car.
    To all i am told by lexus that its one of the petrol pumps that makes that noise on start up

Regards John