Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• djbillydjbilly Member Posts: 2
    A year ago I went with Michelin all season tires rated at about 60K miles I think (I couldn't find anything with much higher mileage as the 17" rims are "high performance"). I had Toyo OEM tires before (original from Mazda) and the vibration was terrible. Since putting on the Michelin's it finally feels like a new car and I would highly recommend this brand. They cost a little more than the cheaper ones but well worth it in my opinion.

Changing tires will do nothing for the cold weather clanky/crunchy suspension issues. I had the same issue for some time. There is a service bulletin for this issue as has been mentioned previously (see all bulletins at http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/pages.php?pageid=17) requiring replacement of the bushings on the front lower arm and/or front/rear stabilizer bushing. I had mine in countless times for front and back. This is the first winter with no problems (so far anyway!).
  • dan5678dan5678 Member Posts: 28
    Add me to the list of new antenna owners.
    Hmmm... maybe Cerberus should get out of the business of trying to make cars and just sell antenna masts?
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    At this point in time your a truly correct my friend.....LOL!
    Did anyone ever find out or resolve this ocassional coolant smell? I get it once in a while but nothing seems to be leaking, at least not enough to leak under the car. Has anyone experienced, smelled, or gotten this resolved?
  • 5_more5_more Member Posts: 43
    2008 Mazda 5, 15k miles, <11 months old...

-- lots of fun to drive

-- vibrates at ~50 mph

-- plastic creaking noises from base of windshield

-- rear suspension creaking noises started yesterday

Have any of these been successfully addressed by Mazda?

My dealer, while polite, has been less than helpful.
  • holly4holly4 Member Posts: 2
    I have experienced that smell periodically. Would love to hear how others have acted on it and what resolution was offered.
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Possibly it has to do with this TSB? It may be "evaporating" before reaching the bottom...

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/01-047-08-2000.pdf
    I did see that TSB, but I never see leakage so I never thought anything of it. I am out of warranty so getting it covered is out of the question but I will be changing my spark plugs here soon. When I do and remove the engine cover I will take a look at it to see if I see any dried up coolant remnants under that valve. If I do, I may just replace the gasket myself as well as the thermostat and do a coolant drain and refill.
    Sounds good, it should be a very minor leak if you don't have to refill coolant nor you see drops around...
  • bolvobolvo Member Posts: 5
    STAY AWAY - From MAZDA We bought a used 2007 Mazda 5 it's NOW ASHES !
    2 weeks ago yesterday my 2007 Mazda 5 with less than 45K on the odometer caught on FIRE. We called Mazda to report it and their response was: Report it to your insurance company - we can do nothing; the same type of response from the dealer and so on. My wife is very upset. We have maintained the vehicle w/ care and diligence. Oil Changes, Repairs done at the Mazda dealership and the vehicle passed inspection less than 2 weeks prior to the fire. THERE IS NO REASON FOR THIS TO HAVE HAPPENED. NEVERTHELESS IT IS SAD FOR US TO SEE HOW THERE'S LITTLE THE MAZDA DEALER, CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SERVICE ADVISORS HAVE DONE TO TRY TO GIVE US A REASON OR INVESTIGATE. That was the last Mazda Vehicle we owned. We are going straight to a TOYOTA dealer. NO MORE MAZDA's for me or my family. No more fire hazard.
  • bolvobolvo Member Posts: 5
    STAY AWAY - From MAZDA We bought a used 2007 Mazda 5 it's NOW ASHES !
    2 weeks ago yesterday my 2007 Mazda 5 with less than 45K on the odometer caught on FIRE. We called Mazda to report it and their response was: Report it to your insurance company - we can do nothing; the same type of response from the dealer and so on. My wife is very upset. We have maintained the vehicle w/ care and diligence. Oil Changes, Repairs done at the Mazda dealership and the vehicle passed inspection less than 2 weeks prior to the fire. THERE IS NO REASON FOR THIS TO HAVE HAPPENED. NEVERTHELESS IT IS SAD FOR US TO SEE HOW THERE'S LITTLE THE MAZDA DEALER, CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SERVICE ADVISORS HAVE DONE TO TRY TO GIVE US A REASON OR INVESTIGATE. That was the last Mazda Vehicle we owned. We are going straight to a TOYOTA dealer. NO MORE MAZDA's for me or my family. No more fire hazard.
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    Sorry man....
    My cousin had a Toyota. You know what happened? It caught fire! On the freeway. He managed to pull off quickly and managed to put the fire out. I once saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee burn to the metal in front of a gas station. All the extinguishers in the gas station could not put it out. It's just sad. They keep making them out of flammable materials.
    You know what doesn't burn? A horse. (or maybe I'm wrong) Did any of the Yugo's burn?
    Now, Mazda could have handled it better. They could have pretended they're interested in "learning". The car was out of warranty. You bought it used. Who knows? It's not like Mazda Mazda5's are burning out there. Yours was an accident. The insurance company is the proper place to call. I hope you got some money for it!

From what I read and experienced, Mazda does not have the most helpful customer service out there. But they&#146;re not the worse. I'd say average. I heard Honda is excellent, but their cars put me to sleep.
    Let's not forget they're a small company. There is some risk in buying from a small manufacturer. They can't be too generous. Their bottom line is rather thin. But then again, that risk is alleviated by the small price compared to quality/performance of the product.

I would not blame Mazda for the fire, or suspect that Mazda cars are prone to fire. Squeaking is another story.
    Is this unprecedented?
    The time for the new model year came and went (almost), there is no inventory of MZ5 left, dealers cannot order it (any year) anymore and Mazda is mum about it!

Does anybody know anything?

I am waiting to buy one, but if this drags for too long, I'll have to just buy something else. I have a pregnant wife and a kid. Walking would work for a short time only.
    The Mazda5 is not Mazda's best selling model so it has been never overstocked around, especially as it is only built in Japan (except China, they get their own plant). That and C4C basically depleted all the inventory around.

Having said that since 07 Mazda has been always late for launching the Mazda5 in the US (and Canada) so I doubt there are any 2010 around yet...

Now, using Autotrader (which allows to search them nationwide at any distance), brings 194 available nationally, all 2009, so there are some, but none are 2010 yet...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?doors=&systime=&position=top&mod- - el=MAZDA5&search_lang=en&style_flag=1&start_year=2009&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&- - search_type=new&highlightFirstMakeModel=&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1253580575040- - &drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&end_year=2010&sho- - wZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&- - body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=&max_mileage=&address=61455&color=&max_pr- - ice=&awsp=false&make=MAZDA&seller_type=b&num_records=25&sort_type=yearDESC
    Yes. There are a few MZ 5 even in my area, SoCal. They're all above 24k-29k. Basically all that's left are the very expensive ones. And even those are not in any significant numbers. 1-2 per dealer. Galpin has 6.
    This situation is stagnant since the early August. That must affect the sales figures. I mean if I could have found the car I want, I would have bought it.
    SO since then (middle of August) dealers told me there are no more 09 coming and the 2010 are not coming either. Why is that? If the 2010 is not ready to be introduced, make more 09.
    I know a great deal of planning goes into what goes into production and what not, but I think this is a huge gap - two months and growing - without the car in showrooms.
    As much as I love this car, if it doesn't come soon, I'll have to find a vehicle somewhere else.
    Ford is advertising a "sun and sync" 319/mo lease for a Edge with pano moon roof and sync.
    VW is having 0% 7 years loans on almost everything. I mean, c'mon!
    That's not what I want, but I have to be able to make the doctor appointments and so on.
    How much would you like to pay for one?

As I understand, post C4C, dealers are having serious difficulties to move their inventory (no surprise there) so before you move on submit offers to each of the dealers around you and see their responses, I'm sure they want to sell the leftovers before the 2010s arrive :)

If you like at the prices paid around very few have really paid MSRP for them
    I thought that they will discount them....
    What's C4C?
    We have a few iron clad requirements:
    -interior has to be "sand" leather (cannot be black)
    -exterior cannot be black
    Because of the way Mazda groups the interior and exterior colors, our choises narows the selection.
    The only qualified car in SoCal is a Red GT with an MSRP of over 29k (I don't know what they put inside that car).
    I was looking for pay around 21k for a GT, so no nav, dvd or sat.
    Most of the cars left have black interior. We have a CX-7 with black interior and that's it for us. Our previous Freestyle had sand leather and it was MUCH easier to keep clean (babies and milk spils, etc.)
    So there. At some point, probably they'll sell the 29k for 21k, but I don't think that they'll do that this soon.
    Plus, what if the 2010 has the new engine? I also REALY want that. I'd like to see what that car looks like... since I've been waiting/dreaming for years for this car.
    My bad, C4C stands for cash for clunkers. Yeah, everybody has different requirements, I own 2 Mazda5s and both are 5 Manual Transmission Sport with the popular package (that is the best extras I could get for a Manual). Wife and I love MT. I also had some challenges finding them, but once I found them it was easy to get them, manuals don't move fast in my area which is good.

BTW, here are the specs for the 2010, not many changes. The new model might come until 2011 (with a new engine I believe):
    http://www.mazdausamedia.com/content/2010-mazda5
    Oh, Thanks a lot! That helps!
    So just the DSC. I've seen parts of that PR on other websites, but it seemed that they just re-used the last year review.
    Good! I want a manual tranny, too, but Mazda has reasons to believe that the leather on the seats gets cought between the gears.... :shades:
  • unhappycanadaunhappycanada Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Mazda 5 was out of warranty in August and I have had no problems with it. I took it in for a routine maintenance (61,000 km) and oil change this week which cost $1256: front brakes and rotors, rear shocks, transmission flush and oil change. Nothing was done while under warranty of course. So much for saving money on gas! Had to buy new tires at 40,000 km. Paint scratches very easily too. Neither the dealer nor Mazda would offer anything.

Feel like trading it in now. Beware.
    If the things you are listing were common "tear and wear" the warranty would not have covered them anyway. The maintenance indicated on your owner's manual has what is needed, plus the dealer's courtesy inspection given to you on every service should tell you how things are wearing and what might be needed, I'm sure not all of it started wearing off just after August 2009, when the warranty expired.

But hey, don't trade it now, you just put CAN $1256 in it ;)
    I agree. Plus, the price is really high. I understand that not everybody wants to get down on their knees and fix the car by themselves, but you can get a much better price then this by going to independent shops.
    Usually a transmission flush is 100 tops, an oil change can be 40 (high). Let's say 300 per shock. That's 740. That leaves 500 for replacing the rotors and pads? There is nothing to adjust, deglaze or turn. Everything is new. Three screws out, three screws in.

Besides, my cousin has a Camry. By the 40.000 miles she had master cylinder failure, rear break piston failure, a set of tires and other scheduled maintenance, plus some interior ickies. How does it compare?
    Uuu! And a battery, too.
  • jpmmazda5jpmmazda5 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2012 Mazda5 Sport/Automatic in May of 2011; and in 2 months I have put 4,000 miles on it, and my wife and I love it more and more each day. I have noted that most of the negative comments about the car (performance, styling, gas mileage, etc.) are from non-owners. Here are my observations...

Best Car Ever for small families or empty nesters! I see the "emply nester" ads for the Toyota Venza, but I believe the Mazda5 has it beat--if for nothing else than the 6 seats rather than the usual 5. And then there's the difference in price! The options on the seating/hauling are excellent! The main reason I first considered the car was for the 6 seats. Yes, the back two are best for children, but my 6 foot son climbed back there to check it out. As he put it "I would't want to go on a family vacation back there, but it wouldn't be all that bad to go across town to dinner." My sentiments exactly, as you can't take 6 people if you don't have seats (and seatbelts) for 6! It works! And for four adults, each has their own seat with armrests and cupholders, and a bunch of room for luggage--much better than almost any other small car. But you do make a choice for hauling stuff--it's either 6 passengers and no stuff, or more stuff and fewer passengers. This last week I went with my son on a family vacation, and went out with 2 adults and 1 child, and a lot of tents, chairs, food, etc. I came back with 2 adults and 3 children, but less stuff--but I still brought back an ice chest, 2 chairs, a tent, 2 sleeping bags with bedding and pillows! And for those who care, I got better than 30 miles to the gallon on the trip with the air conditioning on!

Lets talk about mileage. I am getting 20 to 23 miles per gallon in town (Southern California) with the air conditioning on. It's more like 20 if I really put my foot into it, but always at least 20 and most often 23. The 5 speed automatic is just astonishing. If you are trying to save gas, you can get all the way up to 50 mph with less than 2000 rpm's on the tach. More normal acceleration is easily attainable with 2500 rpm's. The interesting part is if you put your foot into it, you can go over 4,000 rpms in each gear, and get very fast acceleration. I bought the automatic sport as I thought I would be using the "manual" shifting option a lot based on automatics and sticks I have owned over the years. But I actually am using it very little, as the transmission shifts right where you would want it to, depending on the acceleration you want to achieve--when you let up a little on the accelerator--perfect, smooth shifts! The car actually down-shifts automatically as you accelerate out of a corner or on a hill without jamming your foot down on the accelerator--just as you would want to do if you had a stick. Very impressive.

I purchased the Sport Automatic model, as it has all the options I really needed. My car looks great without the spoiler and the lower body moldings. Yes, I would have liked leather, but the nylon seats are really nice! You slide in and stay put, with easy to maintain fabric. It feels really good! Beyond that, the car has cruise control, power windows, power door locks with remote, vanity mirrors on both sides, a nice stereo (that can plug into my smartphone), temperature-set automatic heat and air conditioning (it works great), excellent power steering, 4 wheel disk brakes, and mag wheels. I would like to note here that some reviews complain of a harsh ride on the Mazda5, but with the Sport's 16" wheels (rather than the 17" found on the the Touring models), I believe I get a better ride with the deeper tire profile--you'll note that both tire outside diameters are the same. The handling is great (especially for a wagon), the sliding doors are super nice for adults and kids alike (even adults with disabilities can get in the back seat easily). All these features are "options" on many cars, I don't feel like I'm driving an "economy" car at all.

I would highly recommend this car to all who need it's multi-talented features. As one of my kids said "This isn't a car -- it's a Transformer!" It has economy or plenty of power--you choose. It can haul a lot of stuff or a lot of people -- you choose. Great quality everywhere; it's solid, comfortable (high seating positions) and easy to drive. The only other Mazda I ever owned was a second-hand GLC wagon many years ago. Mazda ads said the "GLC" stood for a "Great Little Car". That car was indeed a "GLC", but I believe the Mazda5 is an even better "Great Little Car". If you have questions, I will answer them to the best of my ability at mccrjk@gmail.com.
  • ben70ben70 Member Posts: 16
    Just took delivery on a 2012 Mazda5. After 20 years of driving Hondas and working on cars myself, I never realized what an excellent vehicle Mazda makes until now. My wife and I really enjoy driving this car. We hope to keep it for many years to come. The dealer has been wonderful! Handling is excellent; engine & transmission (A5) are perfectly matched. I know cars and I must say that the Madza5 is one of the best; others aren't even close.
  • krainfokrainfo Member Posts: 5
    Welcome to the Mazda5 fan club. I've also been driving a Mini and a Prius, and our Mazda 5 is still my favorite for handling and versatility.
    We needed to bring 5 people, a dog, and 5 bicycles on a 5000 mile trip. We bought a very light 4x6 utility trailer and had someone weld a frame to hold three bike racks. There was room under the bikes for four big plastic bins, a cooler and propane bottle. With two bikes on top the Mazda5 as well, we were quite a sight. We towed with no apparent problems. (Yes, we know it's not recommended). The only problem towing was in the highest part of the Rockies.
    We had problems getting a tow hitch for the Mazda5- they were consistently backordered. We also had problems when we towed the trailer loaded with 2 canoes and no other cargo until we learned about loading the tongue heavily to balance the canoes hanging out the back end. Since we were novice trailer folks, it took awhile to learn to balance the load over the axel.
    I wish I could post a picture here. This has been a great way for us to carry light loads long distances.
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    Hello, just wanted to annouce that after 2-years of being gone from the Mazda5 board I am back. For those that don't remember or do...I used to own a 2006 Strato Blue Mazda5 Touring Auto which I traded for a 2007 Galaxy Gray Mazda CX-9 Touring.

Well....I still have my, or should I say our CX-9 which we only use occasionally for those long family trips full of luggage. However, I missed my old Mazda5 so much that I was able to afford and pick up another used 2006 Mazda5. This is one though is a lot better...

"2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda5 Touring 5-SPEED Manual w/Navigation"

Yes I know that the Mazda5 is not perfect with its rear suspension noise, tire eating appetite, frozen sliders, et. al. but neither is any other car and I totally love my Mazda5.

By the way, for those that would like to know...Auto vs Manual trans is like night and day difference. This little wagon should have been offered only in manual, it comes alive and it never feels lethargic.

Anyway, nice to be back!
  • rdb66rdb66 Member Posts: 1
    Our previous car was a 2004 Honda Pilot. We live in a big city, so 1 car is really all that makes sense for us. The Pilot was a little too big (OK, a lot too big) and not very fuel efficient for driving in the big city, but it was paid off and running great. We planned to run it into the ground. Unfortunately, the guy driving the GMC Envoy who ran a stop sign at 30 mph, T-boning me right in the driver's door, decided to put our Honda Pilot in the ground well ahead of schedule. With very little time on our insurance rental car coverage to find a new car, what were we going to do?

We didn't want another Pilot -- they have only gotten bigger, uglier and more expensive. While our experience with Honda had been superb, we found they really didn't have a car that suited our small, urban family--the CRV has too little seating, and the Pilot and Odyssey are WAY too big and WAY too expensive, especially since we were getting only $12,000 for the totaled Pilot (a fair settlement, but the downside of totaling an older car). We needed something kind of in between, so that we could haul the family, plus kid's friends and/or stuff. My mom wanted us to get the Odyssey, and she wouldn't stop going on about until I told her it was only 1" less in length than the interior of our city garage. Enter, the Mazda5!

My wife was completely skeptical before we test drove it. "It's too small!" When we got to the dealership, and I opened up the sliding doors, the 9-year old leaped into the 2nd row captain's chair, reclined the seat, and proclaimed "this is it!" My wife was quickly won over, too, when she saw the 3rd row seats and the flexibility in the 2nd row--being able to recline and move the seats back and forth is a real plus. The test drive was flawless -- sometimes a car just "fits" you to a tee, and it's obvious from the start. We test drove a few other cars that day, but we couldn't make it back to the Mazda dealer soon enough and buy the Mazda5, a GT in clearwater blue.

That was 1 month ago, and we are very happy Mazda5 drivers. I am only now beginning to get my driving time in, after recovering from the injuries caused by the accident that did in our Honda Pilot. It feels great to be back in a more reasonably sized vehicle. The interior layout and design make the Mazda5 surprisingly fun and comfortable to drive. Although the car IS small, the front seat interior is well designed enough to avoid most of the elbow clashes my wife and I usually end up in when driving smaller cars. The only point of contention is the location of the front seat cupholders -- too low, too far to the rear, and too close to the seatbelt buckles. The quality of the interior work is impressive, the climate control works great, and the moon roof is fun. I'm impressed by and enjoying the "manual" transmission function. We ARE still waiting for the fuel economy to improve -- we drive almost exclusively in Chicago, and we have seen it tick up slowly, but it's still well below the advertised mileage, at least according to the dashboard computer.

As others have said, this vehicle has a flexibility and utility that are unmatched, without the extra price and size of virtually every other SUV and "mini"van on the market.
  • leewanleewan Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone loaded up their 5 and hauled all their stuff to Florida?? We are trying to decide between a 5 and Sienna. Coming from a T&C which we fill up for the trip each year we are afraid the 5 will not have enough room. Willing to cut back some as we loved driving the 5 in our test drive.

Thoughts??

thanks
    I've owned an older Sienna (2000) and a Mazda 5 (2008), and loved both of them. When we took the Sienna to the Grand Canyon, we got a canvas bag that sat on the roof and attached to the roof rack with velcro. Since we needed all the seats in, there wasn't room for much beside the five of us in the van.
    With the Mazda 5, we've always been amazed at what fits inside, love driving it, and love the gas mileage compared to my Sienna. There's no comparison between the responsive steering in the Mazda5 and the sluggish, oh-did-you-want-to-turn-here? steering on the Sienna.
    Good luck with your decision!
    The MZ5 is a great little what I'd like to call "Microvan". Comparing the Sienna to the MZ5 is like comparing apples to oranges. A better comparison would be between a Sienna and an Odyssey. Having said that, if you are planning on using all 6 seats in the MZ5 you will definately need to invest on a roof rack and/or luggage carrying device that will mount to the roof. When all 6 seats are in use you have only pillow/blanket stash room behind the third row. Also, with all this loaded (luggage on roof and six occupants) you will definately feel the difference in power. You'll eventually get to the speed limit but you wont get to it quick. On steep inclines (if you encounter any) your best bet is to move to the right slow lane just to avoid getting ugly stares and the ocasional bird. However, if you are only using 4 seats, then you have tons of room when the third row is stashed away, obviously 5 occupants will diminish interior luggage room but you'll be able to fold one side of the third row to use for luggage.

Anyway, hope this helps. Even with all of the above mentioned, I love my MZ5 and I would never trade it for a "Minivan" (Sienna, Odyssey, et.al)
    Thanks should have said, it is just the two of us going south for the winter

chuck
    In that case...you should have bought yourself a MZ5 long time ago. The Sienna is just too big if its just the two of you. With just the two of you, you will have tons and tons of room with the second and third row folded down. Enjoy your trip on your new MZ5 (if you decide to get it)... :shades:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2011 or 2012 Mazda 5 who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 31, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Well we did it, 2012 Red Sport 5 spd auto. Hope it works out, thanks to all.
    Congrats!! You'll love it. Enjoy!
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    We have a luggage bubble on our 2010 Mazda 5 and love it. When you need extra stuff it holds about another 15 cu feet--the same amount of space in a mid-size sedan. That way you can hold 4 people and huge amounts of luggage or even 6 people and moderate luggage on a trip.

Plus we now have a hitch in back installed so that we can put two bikes in back.

Overall enjoying our Mazda5 a lot. It's a lot of car for the money. Love the smooth shifting manual and the sporty handling.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Just got back from a 410 mile trip (now 534 miles on the car) and got 26.9 mpg running 68 to 72 mph and some city mixed in. SO I am happy, but will be checking again. Just got a scangauge e and we are off to Florida in two weeks, 1700 miles and it will be loaded, we will see how that comes out.

So far really like the car, we moved down from a Town and Country.

Nice to see Mazda #4 in reliability ahead of Honda and Toyota, M3 best small car which I&#146;m guessing has the same engine and transmission as the 5?
    So last Monday (10-17-11) went home for lunch to enjoy a nice hot meal and the prosperity of my house. Headed back this lady on my left side was not paying attention because she was yapping her mouth away on her cell phone try to avoid a rear end collision ahead of her and instead veers to her right and hits me... :mad:

Front bumper cover, left fender, left mirror, left front and rear wheels, and left rear quarter panel, rear bumper cover... :mad:

$4300 in total labor and parts. I am still so pissed off!!! I had just bought my new to me 2006 MZ5 that I looked for a long time to find...a clean white manual touring and not even a month of ownership this happens. :cry:
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Bummer!! Shi**

Hang in there. What about getting a new 2012? Mazda loyalty bonus of $500. 1.9 apr. And sometimes you can get steep discounts on the manuals.

My local dealer had a screamer ad for a 2012 Mazda5 manual at $4000 off list. That would put it at about $16300. Freaking lotta car for the money.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Well, I got my girl back on Friday (10-28-11) and she looks better then before. Unless you are a body repair man, you cant even tell anything happened. So it looks way better since it got a full outside detail (polished and waxed) and an alignment that I was planning on doing anyway. So it is as good as new and I am happy she is back...Thanks Caliber Collision San Bernardino
  • kensanramonkensanramon Member Posts: 3
    Yes, the Mazda 5 has the same 4 cylinder engine as the Mazda 3s models (except for the new Skyactiv G engine on the Mazda 3 only in 2012) and the Mazda 6i models. The 2.5 liter engine is new to the Mazda 2012 Mazda 5 but has been on the Mazda 3 since 2010 and the Mazda 6 since 2009. Prior to that all three cars used a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine .................the new Skyactiv G engine has a much higher compression rate and will get 40mpg highway on the sedan and 39 mpg highway on the hatchback (Mazda 3 in 2012 only) so hopefully this engine migrates soon to the Mazda 5, Mazda 6 and possibly even the Mazda Miata. The Skyactiv G engine also debuts on the new Mazda CX-5 crossover CUV in 2012 likely as a 2013 model ..................
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Anyone hear about the Skyactiv coming to the Mazda5?
    Bob: Keep in mind that the Mazda 5 was just introduced as a new model. Since it was released in the spring of 2011 it is a 2012 model and thus this model year will last 1.5 years. Mazda is not going to introduce a new engine in the middle of the initial model year so you can be assured it will not occur until at least the 2013 model year. Also, the Mazda 5 is a niche vehicle (20K-25K/year sale volume through the past several years but supposedly increasing this year) and they don't spend much of any marketing dollars on it (the Mazda 5 has no direct competition since the Kia Rondo was discontinued, Ford elected not to bring a gas version of the C-Maxx on the same platform as the 5 and GM is not bringing the Orlando (hinged doors) to the US either.

Thus, with the upgrade to the 2.5 liter engine not occurring until this year I think it would be at least 2014 before Skyactiv would come to the Mazda 5. It would be strange to have the 2.5 liter engine for only 1 model year on the Mazda 5 (2.3 liter 4 until this new model -- Mazda 6 had this engine through 2008, the Mazda 3 had the 2.3 through 2009). Also, the long-term goals for Mazda are to make the SkyActiv the mainstream 4 cylinder engine on all its cars. As the Mazda 3 makes up more than 50% of total sales in the US it is likely they will discontinue one of the two engines (likely the Mazda 3 base 2.0 liter engine -- the 2.5 liter is on the higher models) and ramp up SkyActiv production. The Mazda 6 will also get the SkyActiv engine and has had the 2.5 liter engine since 2009 (for 3 model years). It is confirmed in Car and Driver December 2011 issue that the Mazda 6 will get the DIESEL Skyactiv engine option in about 18 months (turbo diesel but same skyactiv technology) and the new 2013 will get the SkyActive engine standard first (gas) and the diesel engine (later) ..............note that the Mazda 5 is also the last new model introduction to use the Nagare styling (smiley face) -- all new models will have the new styling that comes out first on the CX-5 next spring (2013 model) ....
    Some thoughts on the new M5 after 1700 mile trip, Minneapolis to Englewood Fl, One 6 hour day, one 13 hours, and one 7 hour day.

First the seats which felt so form fitting and firm, took a bit of adjusting and still need something to make them really good, my wife in the passenger seat was really uncomfortable half way though the first day. Second the area from where the windshield meets the hood back to the outside of the driver side mirror is a bit of a blind spot for me even with the little window, especially at night, it might be where I am sitting and should get better as I get used to it. Third the brake peddle has too much &#147;play&#148;, when coming off cruise control, the cruise cuts out immediately but the peddle feels like it has too far to travel to get to serious braking. I am going to talk to the dealer about that. Also when I floor the gas sometime the transmission takes a bit of time to find the go gear, sometimes has to search for the right gear, a bit disconcerting when trying to hit a closing window of opportunity. The cruise control works great, the speedo is a little off relative to the gps, at 70 gps 71, at 75 gps 77, you might want to check yours.

Sounds like I had a lot of problems with the car, not so , we really like the car. It drives like it is on rails, you have to pay attention all the time (a good thing) we felt safe and made adjustments to the above which I am sure will get better with time.

Now for the really good stuff. We got all our &#147;go to Florida for the winter&#148; stuff into the car without blocking the rear window. The car had about 900 miles when we left. The trip was 1688 (odometer) and we used 57.5 gallons for 29.3 mpg. I am really happy with that. Mileage was taken off the trip meter, each tank filled until the first click turned off the pump. Speeds were 72 for first part of trip, 77 for second half, air was on for only the last 4 hours.

One note about the Scangage e, going up hill under hard acceleration pushed the gauge to read 9999 mpg, like we were coasting, shortly after it read abnormally high mpg on a flat road, it did readjust after a while.

A happy M5 owner

chuck

Would have posted a picture of it loaded but too lazy to figure out how
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    That's too bad if you're right, because MPG was one of the main reasons I never ended up buying a Mazda5. I had a Freestyle that would get in the mid 20s MPG and upper 20s MPG on the highway, as will an Odyssey or Sienna, so with the Mazda5 being so much smaller, I'd expect more like mid-30s highway MPG at least, which is what I was hoping the Skyactiv would bring.
    Bob:

Everyone that likes Mazda vehicles is excited about the SkyActiv engines (currently just added as an optional engine to the 2011 Mazda 3 and will be the standard engine on the new 2013 (spring 2012) Mazda CX-5 compact CUV).

However, keep in mind that the Mazda 5 was just updated and it is a niche vehicle (sales in the 20,000 range) in the US. So, this engine will make it to the Mazda 5 (as the 2.5 liter engine and the 2.3 liter engine before it were shared with the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6) but the Mazda 6 will get it first (and the diesel variant of SkyActiv) as it up for a new redesign in 18 months.

Honda has only recent Acura models (TL this year) with a 6 speed automatic (even the new 2012 Honda Civic redesign stuck with a 5 speed automatic and was panned) and has zero cars at this point with direct injection (Hyundai, Kia are leading this race but came in 3rd in a new Passat/Camry/Sonata comparison in the December 2012 Motortrend (in 3 separate tests for the 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder and fuel efficient models -- Passat is TDI diesel not hybrid) to the Passat .................

Note that Ford is introducing the C-Max (a direct platform cousin to the Mazda 5) this year and it has the same sliding doors (but power option I think) and can seat 7 (has the seat insert option in the 2nd row). Ford, however, backed out of offering a gasoline version in the US (Hybrid and plug in hybrid versions only) and I am not interested in a hybrid at this point (I have kept my 1990 Mazda 626 hatchback for 21 years and a hybrid won't last that long).

I am interested in the SkyActiv (both gas and diesel) down the line ............
  • knobbytireknobbytire Member Posts: 2
    I bought a used 2008 Mazda5 with just under 36,000 miles on it. This is my first Japanese branded car and in summary, I'm unimpressed.

This replaced a 1996 Olds Cutlass with 185K miles on it. The Mazda's engine seems OK and gives some nice zip for a 4 cylinder, but my 6 cylinder Olds gave smoother power and fuel mileage. In comparison, the Cutlass averaged about 26 MPG. The Mazda does about the same. The Cutlass' parts wore out at intervals one would expect. I'm finding the Mazda to be a lower quality vehicle and I'll likely not buy another.

Immediately after purchase, I had to replace the rear shocks which improved handling. I made the replacement myself and observed that the shocks are pretty dainty - they're long and skinny similar to the hatch pistons. There's not enough mass there to sustain the vehicle so I expect that they'll require replacement again at about 60,000 miles.

Mazda soon after had a recall on the power steering pump which improved steering greatly. I'd suggest that any Mazda 3/5 owner make sure that this recall has been completed.

This past summer, I had the Mazda dealer flush the transmission. Since then, I've noticed on warm days over 90 degrees F or driving in the mountains that the transmission has a hard shift between 3rd and 4th gears. I believe that this is more around transmission cooling than the transmission itself. Similar to the rear shocks, Mazda engineers may have underspec'd the cooling for the transmission. My next step will be to try a transmission flush to see if it resolves the shift issue.

One of the rear hubs seized up and I replaced this myself, again observing that the part was dainty. In the case of a hub, I believe that it just doesn't have enough mass to cool warm bearings.

I'm at just over 60,000 miles now and the front struts are in need of replacement. I'll probably replace the front struts and rear shocks at the same time. It won't surprise me if they're undersized, similar to the rear shocks.

I've always driven GM cars and ran them to about 200K miles with standard wear/tear issues that one would expect. I bought the Mazda hearing how much better Japanese quality is, but I'm not seeing it. Instead, I see a vehicle with very questionable engineering quality.

After this experience, I'm unimpressed with Mazda specifically and will further question Japanese brands' quality in general.

Engineering quality: :cry:
    Build quality: :)
    Fuel economy: :(
    Overall: :lemon:
    There is a reason Olds does not exist anymore...nonetheless to each its own!

Shocks = normal wear and tear part
    Bearings = normal wear and tear part
    Transmission shifting = there is a TSB make sure it is done already

Wow really?
    :cry: + :) + :( = :lemon: ???

GM= :lemon: 's
  • knobbytireknobbytire Member Posts: 2
    The 7 GM's that I had over the past 30 years would run 80K to 100K miles before I had to replace struts and I've never had hub go out. Again, the GM's have run 80K to 200K miles with very few issues.

I agree that they're normal wear & tear parts, but they seem to wear & tear faster on Mazda since they're undersized.

The tranny has been to the dealer's shop 3 times now with no resolution.

My 2 year experience with my single Mazda isn't impressing me as much as my 30 year experience with the 7 GM's I've owned.