Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica NAV System Questions

2»

Comments

• wzakaraswzakaras Member Posts: 9
    more detail please. when you turn the ingition , does the crysler logo appear on the screen? if not - start there. you may have display problems and not nav problems.
    did you check your fuses for the nav?
  • ddunkleyddunkley Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm new to this blog. I need a bit of information. I own an 06' Pacifica and I'm having problems with my navigation system. I'm getting an error message on the screen and I've also been "told" by the machine to check the disk. Upon checking the disk there is nothing wrong with it. There are no scratches on the disk or anything. I'm looking at this problem like that of a DVD player. I'm thinking about spraying some air in it to see if this may clean out any "dust" that may be in the machine. Has anybody encountered a similar scenario and/or has a solution for this??? I would greatly appreciate any feedback. :sick:
  • thunderdthunderd Member Posts: 1
    Is there an aftermarket Navigation CD for an '05 Pacifica. My current disc is the original one
  • keruibokeruibo Member Posts: 1
    dcarrigan,

Same thing just happened to me today. While driving (& using nav system) got error "unable to read speed sensor" (or something like that). Cycled auto power, the system booted up (got chrysler logo), but that boot just got blank screen after. Next car power cycle nothing displayed at all...that's the current situation.

Anyone experienced this before? What are my chances that the dealer won't be quoting me a $2K repair bill?

Thanks!
  • abercrombiejimabercrombiejim Member Posts: 1
    dude. my nav stopped working as well. took it to the dealer and all they said was that I needed an updated disk and a driver ( i assume they meant the driver disk - program). Anyway - i cleaned the dvd and put it back in even though it was clearly very clean anyway. Wouldn't you know it -- it came back to life. Or so I thought. I could get it to read the disk and show on the screen... but it still did very little. couldn't show me where I was - said I was in one town, but i was in another.. and it very rarely moved even though I was driving. My next idea is to actually clean the unit with a dvd player cleaner. IF YOU GUYS HAVE FIGURED ANYTHING OUT LET ME KNOW! Just bought this 04 pacifica and the dealer won't cover it cause my 60 day warranty is up. lovely.
  • nuruc7nuruc7 Member Posts: 98
    Gee, too bad I did not extract my NAV DVD player from my 2005 touring as I had installed it in preparation for the day when I would install all the other NAV components I got off aof a wrecked 2005 - but I forgot to do that. Sort of sounds like the DVD player is on the blink.
  • ponchcponchc Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,
    Can someone tell me how much room there is in the dash of the 2005 Pacifica please? I would like to install the Panasonic Strada CN-NVD905U and would like to know if anyone has gone this route (pun intended) before.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • wzakaraswzakaras Member Posts: 9
    No Chrysler logo on Boot

after a minute it says

Please do not turn engine off

never leave that mode

thiis happened when attempting an upgrade from ae to af dvd

will this require a factory reset ?
    what does that entail.

rmoval of dvd player or something else??
  • montez1montez1 Member Posts: 1
    Nav system was working last time I had it on, then today when I turn it on it tells me it is loading CD Rom. After this idles for extended period, I eject disc and re-insert. Now it just says it's "loading" Does this mean that my disc is out of date (2005 Model)? Will an old disc simply stop working at some point in time?
  • molyneuxmolyneux Member Posts: 31
    Because of an operation, I was not able to drive for six weeks. Before going into the hospital, the nav system worked perfectly. When I started it up, after the six weeks of sitting, I got the message that it could not read the DVD-ROM.
    The Chrysler logo comes up and I can use the "step" button to change the display on the dash as well as the mi/km button, but no navigation system. I tried blowing out the drive. Also, I disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes to try a "reset". That didn't help I did take the disc to a computer and the computer shows that there are files on the disc.

Any Ideas..................Please?
    Montez1.............

I have just had a similar experience with my 2004 Pacifica. The message says "loading cannot read DVD-ROM".

Did you ever get a solution to your problem?

Thanks

molyneux
    As a follow-up to my post of Aug 19, today, I went to my Chrysler dealer. They had another DVD. We tried it and the same message appeared that it could not be read. So, it would appear that the problem is not the disc but is the disc drive itsself.

So, has anyone had any luck in repairing or replacing the DVD drive?

Sort of irritates me - car is a 2004 -- yes, 5 years old but I only have 31,000 miles. Seems the system should last longer than 31,000 miles.

Thanks, in advance, for answers.
  • rd818rd818 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a used pacifica - very satisfied with the ride experience. The only problem I can't figure out how to change the language from spanish to english. Can somebody help me?
  • rd818rd818 Member Posts: 2
    I bought this pacifica with low mileage and great ride experience from a Toyota dealer in California - the only thing is we can't figure out how to change the language from spanish to english. Hellp me figure it out please. Thanks.
  • dittiditti Member Posts: 1
    The dealer said I needed a new dvd for the navigation system. That 99% of the time this is the root of any problems he'd experienced with Chrysler navigation systems. I never had him check it out to make sure. I feel like such a dummy. I paid $202 for a new dvd. It is NOT the dvd, but most likely the drive. My brother is proficient in computers and suggested I yank out the drive (in the floor at the rear hatch area) and he'd take a look at it. I haven't tried it yet. He is thinking the drive could be the same as in a computer and those cost about $40.

Does anyone know if they are indeed the same before I give it a try. I'm now convinced it is the drive gone bad. Anyone know if this might work?
    Fortunately, I went to the dealer first and had him try another DVD in my drive. I got the same error message with their DVD.
    Fortunately, I had purchased the extended warranrty when I bought the Pacifica in May, 2003. Turns out the DVD drive was covered under that warranty. I got a replacement for the $50.00 deductible.
    I asked what it would have cost me if I did not have the warranty - they said about $1,000.00.
    Hope you either have a warranty or your friend has good luck. If neither, you can get a 4.5 inch Tom Tom for $150.00 that can be updated periodically with your computer.
  • anna7829anna7829 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2006 pacifica in base version. I'm thinking about upgrading it and installing navigation. I saw on ebay that they have speedometer clusters with navigation. Is it doable to just replace my entire cluster w/o navigation with the new one with navigation? Has anybody done a similar replacement?

Please, advise.
    When my factory installed navi system in my 2004 Pac died, I went ahead an had it replaced since it was under warranty. I only had to pay a $50.00 deductible.
    However, if it had not been under warranty, it would have cost be about $1,000.00. That was just to replace the DVD drive unit. Nothing was wrong with the display in the dash.
    You mentioning the instrument cluster - that's only part of the system. I would suspect, before it's all said and done, you'll be spending over $1,000.00 for a system that is not nearly as good as buying a Garmin or a Tom-Tom for a couple of hundred dollars. Yes, it's nice to have the screen in the dash, but for the difference in money, I can handle a unit stuck to the winshield that will work perfectly well.
  • radsrads Member Posts: 5
    I can share one other thing that doesn't work: I was getting the same error message, cannot read DVD, and asked my dealer what to do. He did suggest a Tom-Tom or such, but also suggested buying a cleaner disc at W/M, which I did, to see if cleaning the laser reader might fix it. Nice try, cheap enough, doesn't work. Next I'll try Radio City and see if replacing the DVD with an aftermarket unit fixes it. It DOES seem to be the DVD unit which Chrysler must have paid $2.00 for, really should last the life of the car. Mine is a 2004, bought new, 89,000 miles.
  • vic_vinylevic_vinyle Member Posts: 34
    I just bought the latest $200 update (AH) for the navigation system from Navtek. There is no visible difference in the display or accuracy in our area. However, we will find out later this summer when we drive to Boston whether it now knows that the Big Dig is now done. Last time, it didn't!!
  • carlsbadacfcarlsbadacf Member Posts: 2
    rads, did you even purchase the radio City DVD? If so did it work? We're having similar problems with our 2005 Pacifica Nav System.

Thanks.
    Yes, I replaced it through Radio City for about $300 - much less than Chrysler - and it works fine. They also suggested that because there's a mechanical part (scanning arm?) which simply wears out the more you use it, and I had mine on almost constantly for the first 90,000 miles, don't use it all the time, just when you need it or think you might need it. They say it'll last much longer that way. Too bad. I liked the looks of it being on.
    The turn-around time was only a few days. They exchange your unit for another rebuilt unit.
  • johnus43johnus43 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased from an individual a 2006 Pacifica Signature AWD. The navigation system usually works well at first. After a few turns it gets a little off, like you are driving off the road, then the screen will start doing a wild 360 degree rotation. The only way to stop this is to turn it off. The DVD disk looks good to me and the unit usually works at first so I don't think it is the disc. I am sure the dealers will want huge money to fix this problem. I talked to my regular dealer and they never heard of this problem. I sure would like to fix this as it is one of the things I liked about the car. Has anybody else had this problem? Suggestions?
    I have no idea what would do this, but you're probably right, that it is not the disc itself. I got good advice and a rebuilt dvd from my local car radio repair shop, give that a try.
  • reprahnekreprahnek Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a '07 Pacifica with Nav...no disk. From what I understand, I need a disk that is identical to the one it most previously had or one version up (I read you can't skip successive versions without problems). How do I find out what the most recent version used was. All i get on the screen now is "searching for DVD" msg. Is there someway to get to a screen that will give me the information I need? Also does anyone know if the manual is available for download anywhere.

Thanks
  • carlsbadacfcarlsbadacf Member Posts: 2
    Rads, Thanks for the update. I can't find a radio city on the internet. Is it a store local to you? Please advise. I'm anxious to get my system up and running. Thanks again.
    Radio City has several shops in Maine, but they may otherwise be a local car audio shop. I would think that any car radio/audio shop near you should be able to handle it, since CD and DVD players are in their area of interest/service. Try 207-783-9555 (1009 Center St, Auburn ME 04210) If you don't have any luck locally. If you're handy enough to remove your unit and install a refurbished one, they may help. But getting it done locally would probably be better.

Good luck.
  • khmrizekkhmrizek Member Posts: 2
    hi i have a 2004 pac with nav. yesterday my screen was blank. i was wondering if the Chrysler logo is stored in the dvd drive in the trunk or in the instrument cluster , also i would greatly appreciate if someone is able to disconnect the dvd drive in the trunk to see if there is a message showing or some backlight in the screen . cause i have no clue what to change: cluster w nav screen, wiring, fuse, dvd drive???

I Would appreciate any help. thanks

Isabelle
    Refer to my previous note # 79: I left this project to a car audio shop here in Maine, phone # provided in # 79. I would suggest finding a local car audio shop where you are and turning this over to them for a diagnosis. I don't know where the Chrysler logo is stored, but if your screen is blank maybe they can help decide if it is the DVD (usually is) or something else. Sorry, best I can do. My local Chrysler dealer could have fixed my problem, but at an estimated cost of $1100, hence turning ( in my case) to Radio City.
    I would agree with message #81.
    I lost my Nav ststem in my 2004 Pac, However, I still had the Chrysler logo and the screen was active - it just said that it could not load the DVD. I went to my selling dealer and the DVD drive unit was replaced under warranty. (I had the extended warranty with a $50.00 deductible.)
    My point is that the electronics are now so complicated that your best bet is to bite the bullet and go to a professional, such as the audio store or a Chrysler dealer.
  • khmrizekkhmrizek Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your help guys!! i think i am following your advice and going to an audio store so the can diagnose the problem. thanks again
  • russamusrussamus Member Posts: 1
    Some times I get a message on my 2006 Nav system that I am entering an area that does not support turn by turn navigation (or something like that). I have a portable Magellan in my other car that does not give that message in the same location. Is there possibly a newer version of the software that I need to purchase to avoid this situation?
    I get the same thing, not only on my Pac Nav system but also on my Honda Nav system. The same company sells discs for both systems.
    They will be happy to sell you a new DVD for $200.00, that is supposed to be more up-to-date - ? ? ? ? ?.
    I bought a $150.00 Tom Tom that does a much better job and is much more up-to-date. I can move the Tom Tom from car to car as well as take it to Florida and use it in a rental.
  • jmetajmeta Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought used 2004 chrysler pacifica and navigation system has not been updated by previous owner since he bought the car first time. I know that it costs roughly about $200 to buy 2009 navigation dvd. Is there any other cheaper, reasonable way to download or buy this? Help is really appreciated.
    Thanks,
  • bats1bats1 Member Posts: 1
    hey it seems i have the same problem with the car i got a new back unit meaning the nav dvd drive and i hooked it up no power so iunno what to change i checked for power lines there seems to be one line where im getting a shortage of power
  • jlandsawjlandsaw Member Posts: 2
    My son borrowed my Pacifica and when he returned it the "Step" button on the control panel was damaged. It looks like it was pushed so hard tat the support under the button snapped. I am now unable to scroll through the "menu" to reset anything or change the readout on my dash. Has anyone else had this happen and if so can this be repaired or do I need to replace the module? I am not very happy right now. The nav system still works I just can't reset anything. :(
  • mmcrittermmcritter Member Posts: 5
    Interested in finding out if you ever found a solution to this problem? My 2007 PAC'S nav turns on, lets me program, etc... however, when I am driving, it continuously tells me to do a U turn and is off route - it seems to be in the vicinity of where I really am... however is usually going the wrong way! I have ordered an update disk (last year's for only $50 because it has the original disk, and I don't want to invest a lot chasing after the wrong answer).

My other problem is that the voice sounds like it's constantly cutting/shorting out and the volume is VERY low (although set at 5). Any suggestions?
    I have set my voice settings at 5 (highest) however it is barely audible and what you CAN hear sounds like it is coming from a busted speaker or that has a short in it. Any suggestions as to where to start troubleshooting?
  • jmetajmeta Member Posts: 2
    i am still looking for a disk to update to current version. can you send me a link from where you bought a disk for $50??
    Thanks.
    When the Nav stopped working in my 2004 Pac, it was under warranty and the system, in the rear storage area, was replaced. Since then it has continued to work. Now, when it comes to updating with a new DVD for $200.00, I refuse to do that. I consider it a "rip-off". It's just a money maker. I have purchased a TomTom for under $150.00 which stays up to date and has more features than the Pac in-dash system. If I go to a rental car, the TomTom goes with me. If Chrysler drops their DVD price to, say, $25.00, then, maybe - but not at $200.00.
    I found it on ebay.com - it has a letter I at the end of the disk code... most recent one is J
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    E-bay is a pretty good source.
  • gsaonlinegsaonline Member Posts: 1
    The navigation system on my Pacifica '04 is not working - dealer said to buy new disk, I did but still not working- returned disk to dealer, they said the unit is dead-- need to buy a new navigation system for $450- plus new disk $200! anyone know if they can be rapaired? where? I am in Los Angeles, California
    My Pacifica is also '04. My navi died while it was still in warranty. Dealer tried new disc first - didn't work. They ordered new unit for me. Cost me a $50.00 deductible (and didn't include an updated disc). They told me if not in warranty, would cost $1,000.00.
    Even now, with it working, I won't pay the $200.00 for an updated disc. For $150.00 you can buy a nice 5" TomTom (or other) with lifetime updates. An updated disc for $200.00 is a ripoff.
    @johnus43 (quote: er a few turns it gets a little off, like you are driving off the road, then the screen will start doing a wild 360 degree rotation. The only way to stop this is to turn it off. The DVD disk looks good to me and the unit usually works at first so I don't think it is the disc. I am sure the dealers will want huge money to fix this problem. I talked to my regular dealer and they never heard of this problem. I sure would like to fix this as it is one of the things I liked about the car. Has anybody else had this problem? Suggestions? )

Did you ever find out what was causing the 360 rotation? I have an 07 Signature edition - on occasion, the same thing happens to me. The screen can't seem to figure out where it is or where it is going. Did anyone make any suggestions?
  • johnus43johnus43 Member Posts: 2
    mmcritter,

I never was able to get the navigation fixed. The Pacifica is a horribly made car. I sold the car taking a big loss just to get rid of it. The last straw was when the engine mounts broke and pulled the radiator hose out causing the car to overheat and leaving me stranded on a ski trip up north. Broken engine mounts!!?? Headlights would burn out every few months. Car went through 3 sets of tires in 70,000 miles as it would not stay aligned. Inner hubcaps would fall off all the time. My advice is to sell it as soon as possible. Chrysler pulled the plug on these fast because they are lemons.
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Thanks I appreciate it. I too have some broken motor mounts... hmmmm... but, I have to say (knock on wood) that all else is going well...

@imeta - I bought an update disc on ebay... didn't work for me. #garbage
  • ericwindowericwindow Member Posts: 1
    Alpine told me about this company, United Radio that does repairs for them. They want $225 (includes return shipping) to refurb the Nav System electronics/DVD-ROM drive. You can call them or just fill out the form on their website and send it in. Website: [http://unitedradio.com/automotive/]. To remove drive you must unscrew the rear compartment and unbolt the drive....it's not that hard to do.