Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Transmission Problems

Comments

• 09taco09taco Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for the website info. I'll be looking into this site.
    I need to get as much info as i can. I do believe its a problem and an error in the design of this vehicle. Not sure what the fix could be, I haven't found anyone with the right answer. If anyone has that answer I would like to know
  • tacomashanetacomashane Member Posts: 27
    Can someone provide the email address for Toyota HQ and their mailing address to report this problem? My transmission is still not any better, though I am only at about 2400 miles. Mechanic told me it takes 5000 miles for the computer to learn my driving habits. My biggest mistake was buying this truck without a test drive (they drove it in from another dealer). I bought it based on its excellent reputation and many friends who have slightly older models. I will never make that mistake again.

I would also like to know if there is anyone reading these messages who does not have an issue with the transmission? Anyone have a 08 or 09 model with over 5000 miles with no issues? We need to all be reporting this problem. As someone said earlier, apparently the Camry's had an issue with the transmission and they had to swap out the computers.
    If I find an email address I'll pass it along. What you went through to get your truck is pretty much exactly the way I did it. I did my research and my buddy at work at the same truck but a 06 standard trans with no problems, so i ordered mine from another dealer, never test drove it, The truck was in the show room when I picked it up. I bought it based on the excellent reputation Toyota has. I agree with you, never do this again..5000 miles is a bunch of crap! Who ever came up with that number, /driving habits!
    Next thing they'll say, your truck's trans. has a computer virus, and you'll need to do a virus scan on it every month or so.
  • dbysdbys Member Posts: 6
    I talked to another mechanic outside of toyota (one of my old mechanics) and he told me that the clunking when you put the break on is the drive shaft and it needs to be taken apart and greased again. I asked them how to make them do this and he said just walk in and tell them to do it. Since i reported it while it was under warranty, i should not have to pay for this service. Going to try it.....
    LOL! I agree, they are saying that on telivision sets now....LOL!
  • casteebcasteeb Member Posts: 13
    Here's an update on my 2009 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 auto shifting problem.
    Toyota called me and listened to the problem again, they said really all they can do is open a ticket with Toyota National .(Wahoo! a new ticket ) and basically said they can't do anything about it until enough people complain....
    Meanwhile you can manually shift the automatic (which is stupid, but makes you feel like you are taking charge of the problem) or you can continue to complain and start searching for what you're going to trade the stupid Tacoma on (probably a Nissan...)
    Which is...wel...to bad, because aside from the transmission shift pattern problems and (lack of) paint / finish , the truck is decent.
    Ben
    So again I ask, does ANYONE know where we can send a formal complaint? A contact #, an email with Toyota National? This won't be resolved until enough complaints are received. My truck is slipping and/or getting stuck in gear 2-3 times a day now when slowing down and turning onto another street! I am so sorry I ever bought this Tacoma!
    Try
    toyota_cares@toyota.com

Ben
  • fishalotfishalot Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 09 tacoma dbl cab SR5 PU. My nephew also has the same problem, his is new as well. Went to the dealer and had it test driven by the shop manager, he verified the slipping and told me it was normal and there was nothing he could do. He would file a complaint for me. They also gave me an 800 number to file my own complaint. I called yesterday and they took all kinds of information and gave me a case number. I told them I wanted it fixed or they should buy the truck back. Here is the number 1-800-331-4331. If I don't get any action I will be contacting the States district attorneys office and file a complaint, this trucks operation is unsafe.
  • jodyg69jodyg69 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the number...just gave them a call myself and everyone else should. If we all complain in droves, this issue will be taken alot more seriously and resolved much quicker. Does anyone here have an idea why it's the 2009 models?...seems like everyone having a problem owns an '09 model...what the hell did they do different in the '09s?
    Just made my formal complaint through the 800 #. The Toyota representative told me this was the first he had heard about any problems with the Tacoma transmission..............
    No telling how many reps they have at that office...word will get around...i think the issue is going to be dealt with with enough complaints
    Thanks also for that toyota number, I'll be calling also, with some questions.
    I do have a 09 with only 900 miles or so, and having the same issues as everyone else. I did notice that when I drive in town and doing alot of stop and go, I put the auto.trans in 4th gear and it seems to work better, not shifting as much, When I'm on the highway I put the trans in D which is overdrive. Maybe its just me, but I'm going to give this a try and see how this works out. If anyone else tries this and it works better Please let me know.....maybe we can compare on how this works
    the number. i too will be calling and filing a complaint. maybe if enough of us do this - they'll do something...
  • kevin144kevin144 Member Posts: 8
    The transmission problems are probably linked to HAC and DAC features. I was planning on purchasing a 09 tacoma but will go with a 08.
  • gjlaxgjlax Member Posts: 3
    I test drove a brand new 2009 Tacoma at my dealership the other day and experienced the same engine rev while accelerating from a slower speed. The chief mechanic at Balise Toyota in West Springfield Mass told me that it is most likely a design issue. He reset the computer and told me to drive around town for 15 minutes before getting on the highway. After following his advice I am STILL experiencing the same issue. I am going to file a complaint with the 800 number given in one of the e-mails.

thanks for the correspondences.
    I tried the " putting it in 4th gear in town" and what a difference. It hardly clunks anymore. Still does on highway, not as hard or bad. I'm frequently on the freeway. I also got all email address's and phone numbers - will be calling and emailing for all complaints. Will keep you in touch - by the way, i'm the one with the 2006.
    Wesley Chapel Toyota here in Tampa area test drove my truck yesterday and said it was normal. However, the mechanic reset the computer and told me to do the same thing, drive around for about 30 minutes with many stop and go's. Guess what, transmission still acting the same and hesitating when stepping on gas after decelerating. He said it will take about 1,000 miles for the computer to learn my habits (a different Toyota dealer mechanic had told me 5,000 miles). To top off my frustrations, now I have a vibrating rattle coming from the passenger side door. Panel over door lock and window controls.
  • tacoma1958tacoma1958 Member Posts: 21
    I'd like to see where the "1000 mile" benchmark is mentioned in any Toyota publication. And if the truck is normal why would they reset anything. That just doesn't ring true.

B
    Does anyone know if shift data (gear # /rpm/ speed) can be retrieved from the truck's computer? If so, I'm hoping that be evidence of a flare. Any help appreciated.

B
  • chiweihochiweiho Member Posts: 51
    Well.. mine is finally screwed....after 125k it died. I had the same problem as you guys since 2001, the slip, clunk, the dealer mechanic and Toyota Office of the president "go screw your self" speech, if you guys have the problems now, please make sure you document it and stay on it, after a year the dealer will blow you off.

"this is the first time i heard about it" from Toyota is bogus, i called since 2001 about my transmission. "computer to learn my habits" is bogus too.
    Chiweiho, was your transmission run by a computer?

For everyone else, here is an update on my Tacoma. Since I took it back to the dealer and they reset the computer, it seems to be better as it has not slipped or had that hesitation to engage the gears when I slow down and turn onto another street. Still not a smooth shifting pattern though like my 2000 Nissan Frontier. My Nissan transmission is still like new and I barely feel any shifting to this day and it has 150,000 miles on it.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    After reading all the problems on the 09s I bought a new left over 08 tacoma double cab TRD and I am happy to report after 1800 miles it is still shifting fine. I also got it for $6000.00 under sticker.
    Traded in my 09 Tacoma TRD Doublecab (crap) for an 09 Honda Ridgeline RTS...WOOOWWW!...10x the truck..may not be an off road machine but man its smooth going down the highway..and has a trunk!(or in-bed beer cooler):-)..hope someone at Toyota reads this..your quality control and customer support has gone to hell!
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    not sure in a few months if you are going to be happy with that Ridgeline. Maybe you should of researched the government site for recalls and service bulletins, seems Ridgelines have a bad design on the windshield (crack for no reason) and water from the bed runs under the carpet inside the cab. It has no frame so you can't haul or tow anything. There was a number of issue's and then there is the bad gas mileage. If I were you I would trade that thing in for a Nissan Frontier.
  • ferbferb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Tacoma, when the engine is not in gear all is ok. But when put in gear, i get this whirling noise. Sounds to me like the pump, but i'm not sure. Any suggestions?
  • befuddled2befuddled2 Member Posts: 111
    I see many posts here and elsewhere describing the hesistant transmission problem on Tacoma's with automatic transmissions. I've talked to some people with the problem and some without. I've called the Toyota National Hotline (800-331-4331) to document the problem. After 3 weeks resolution has not been forth coming. Apparently, Toyota considers this a characteristic of the vehicle and therefore not a problem. It is a safety hazard as while you wait for the computer to decide what to do the potential for positioning you in a situation of a T-Bone accident is very real. Since I see no resolutions to this problem posted here I recommend everyone with this problem call the number above and document it with Toyota. In all reality the problem won't get fixed until enough of us register our concerns.
    I last posted on May 20th to let everyone know that my transmission was operating smoothly since the computer had been reset. Well, for the past two weeks it has gone back to its old tricks of hesitating, etc. I am convinced this is an issue, but Toyota will not acknowledge it. I have already called the 800#, but may do so again. Ridiculous!! To top it off, I now have two rattles/vibrations coming from the passenger side door (the window and door lock panel) and from under the glove compartment. Driving me nuts. Guess Toyota was right when they issued a statement a few weeks ago that their overall quality had declined in the last few years.
  • wabbitzwabbitz Member Posts: 1
    590 miles in..
    and the tranny drags coming out of overdrive
    its a lease so its going in for a checkup
    i guess ill report back on the service i get
    I have filed paperwork for arbitration concerning the transmission problem on my 2009 Tacoma. The company that is conducting the hearing is hired and payed for by Toyota.I was given the options of either presenting via oral presentation or via documents only. I chose the latter. I do not have hopes of winning but am keeping my fingers crossed.
    Maybe we should be doing a class action law suit? Start a petition on-line and see how many owners will join? If we have enough, maybe we can find a way to file.
    Ben
  • texas14texas14 Member Posts: 1
    I will! I HATE driving my 09 Tacoma. Sickens me to know I traded in a great vehicle for this piece of crap.
    Whom did you fill the paperwork with for arbitration. I think all of us with this problem should do the same. Thus far I'm being tossed from one person to another within Toyota and the dealership. I believe it to be a problem with serious repercussions. Keep posting so we can stay on top of this. Thanks
  • djwtarheeldjwtarheel Member Posts: 14
    I must say that as I am currently looking for a small/medium size truck to purchase in the next few weeks, I will not be looking at the 2009 Tacoma any further with so many problems reported. I had narrowed my choice down to the Tacoma and Frontier and these posts just made up my mind for me...maybe if they start losing sales, they'll take notice and fix this serious problem. I hope you all get resolution to your problems...good luck...
    Well, surprise surprise. A manager from Toyota called me today to state that it appears that Toyota's position on the hesitation problem is going to be considered a characteristic of the vehicle and therefore they will do nothing. Hog wash. Consider me in if anyone wants to start a class action. I still consider it to be a safety issue. If, I can't count on the accelerator and transmission to react when needed I am therefore put in the position of being T-Boned because I couldn't get out of the way. That's a serious problem and I don't want to be dead right. I'm working up a list of agencies to get involved in this. Anyone with ideas please share. Have a good one.
    I, too, consider it a safety hazard. I no longer drive my truck. It has been parked for a month or more. The only agency I know of to contact is NHTSA.DOTGOV. I filed a complaint via their web site.
  • pesteele1pesteele1 Member Posts: 5
    I've been lurking for awhile but thought I'd share this re my 2009 Tacoma standard cab automatic 2WD. I purchased this vehicle in mid-April & now have ~1,150 miles.

The automatic transmission is largely electronically controlled & has a known software issue that Toyota has already issued a TSB for. Unfortunately, the TSB seems to have made the problem worse, at least in my case, & Toyota doesn't seem to have another fix in the works. For now they'll at least admit there is a
    problem but are stalling on what if anything they'll do about it longer
    term. I sense the dealer is frustrated as well & the service advisor said
    he was sorry but until Toyota stepped up and addressed the problem, he
    couldn't really offer a resolution. Toyota for the time being seems to be
    holding to the line its not a safety or driveability issue at least in the
    sense the vehicle can't be driven.

The problem first manifested itself at around ~400 in my case with a coarse vibration /shudder on deceleration. Evidently the torque converter locks up early and often (to increase fuel economy) but then doesn't want to let go. This is a bit like lugging a manual in a lower gear than it wants to be in. The vehicles I test drove (&
    mine) are silky smooth until the this issue develops. I never would have
    bought the vehicle if it had driven this way at the outset. The TSB (a
    software download that reflashes the ECM) simply moved what was originally a
    shudder/light vibration when coasting at around 25-30 mph to a more severe
    vibration at around 20 mph, now present on light throttle as well. Another
    issue (potentially a NHTSA concern) is the vehicle will maintain speed and
    even slowly accelerate with your foot completely off the gas on level
    ground - feels like cruise control is on but my vehicle doesn't have it
    installed. The TSB also killed the tight, smooth shifting & turned the
    transmission into a 'slushbox' with dead spots around 1,500 - 2,000 rpm
    where the engine will start winding up but the transmission doesn't really
    respond. At other times it will drop down & grab a lower gear when it didn't
    need to. On other occasions it will feel like it is being manually
    downshifted on deceleration as you would on a long downhill, with slight
    but noticeable engine-braking, followed by the transmission completely
    releasing.

If you're doing your research, you're aware that the Tacoma is
    class-leader in terms of features (especially safety) & overall design.
    Build & material quality is good. Mine has one clink/rattle somewhere in the
    suspension or the body-frame connection which I could live with. Less
    impressive is the audio which is going in next week to be replaced under
    warranty - intermittently turns itself off on its own, display goes out,
    controls don't work, etc. Evidently Toyota got a whole bad batch from
    whoever the supplier is but at least here there is no argument on replacing it - service advisor said most of the ones from the fall 2008 build are failing this way.

So, good luck but I'd stay away. You'd think Toyota, of all manufacturers, would realize that their perceived quality & reputation is their single most important asset & that burning customers w/ a poor design and quality and then refusing to address the problem isn't going to work well for them in the long run. I can think of a couple of recent examples of what eventually happens.....
    Very good description. I've noticed the feeling of downshifting when coasting as well. Didn't really associate it as being part of the problem but I suppose it could be. I agree to pursue this issue with the NHTSA. Don't know if a common trait with this problem is where it is made. Mine was made in Mexico. A question to be asked also is other vehicles by Toyota employ the drive by wire method as well. Doesn't seem to be near the problem with them. What's the difference in the systems?
  • tacomaryetacomarye Member Posts: 11
    I have noticed this performance issue as well. When I spoke to the dealer technician about it, he told me that the 5 speed auto transmission (v6) is a "busy" transmission. I have found it to be quite jerky at times.

It seems to shift to first gear when I turn corners. Which makes the truck seem to jump a bit. Then it shifts to second. Is this the problem in which you are speaking?

Also, I first noticed that when I brake, I feel the vehicle would shift and it seems to make the braking a bit more difficult. A few times I had to press the peddle to near the floor to get it to stop. I spoke to the dealer about it, they claimed my rear brakes needed cleaned and they also tightened them. It has seemed to fix the problem (or i just adjusted my driving habits)

As for the transmission, If the computer does learn your driving habits, I feel the amount of shifting has decreased as I am now at 6000 miles.

I am new to the forum and hope that what I learn from my vehicle can help others.

I enjoy the truck and have found it handles better than most. Just thought the transmission was tricky.
    pesteele1:

I have not heard about a TSB for the '09 Tacoma. I would much appreciate the number if you have it. I have made multiple trips to the dealer and even met with 2 regional reps from Toyota and they made no mention of a TSB.

B
    I don't know what the TSB # is either. Hopefully, it will show up here. I currently am waiting for the Regional rep to look at the truck. I want to say that I find this rather silly that this is proving to be such a challenge. Don't know why it can't be resolved nor why Toyota is apparently so resistant to tackle the problem.
    Yes, good question what it the TSB number. I've sent 4 people to the Nissan dealer in the last 2 months who were considering Toyota Tacoma in Florida, You would think they would wake up one day and realize that fixing this could not possibly be as expensive as loosing their reputation in the small truck business. Apparently they don't get it. The funny part is, about the time they figure that out, it will be too late.
  • pesteele1pesteele1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Everyone & thanks for reacting - I wish Toyota would do likewise.

I'm looking at my service invoice & it states:

"Test drove vehicle. Verified concern. Found TSB #0096-09 pertaining to concern. Recalibrated ECU per TSB. Test drove - passed." Obviously I don't agree it passed but I can't fault the dealer, I think they are trying but Toyota is just looking away and pretending none of this is happening.

My suggestion to the group is to:

- Keep at Toyota at every opportunity - start a case #, send emails & calls as appropriate. I've read some other posts where folks report Toyota Customer Care and dealers claim they've never heard about a compliant about this - I'd take this excuse away from them.
    - Keep posting here - I'd guess someone from HQ lurks here to see how restless the natives are getting.
    - Post on the review pages on Edmunds, Cars.com, Yahoo, Epinions, etc. Drive their satisfaction numbers down & scare shoppers away.
    - When someone at work or in a parking lot says 'Hey - sharp truck - howdya like it?', tell them. I bet I've already killed a couple sales for them.
    - Answer your Consumer Reports and JD Powers surveys if you get them. My 90 day anniversary is coming up and Toyota better pray JD Powers doesn't sample me.
    - File a complaint w/ NHTSA re inappropriate shifting - I don't want to run down a pedestrian in cross walk because the truck whimsically decided it wanted to drop down a gear too many. Likewise, I did a long 3-4% uphill and it would not shift down.
    - See what recourse you have in your locality re lemon laws, state attorney general, consumer affairs, etc. Probably not much chance here as these are pretty uniformly stacked against the consumer, but you could at least make some noise.

I'm a realist and I've got Toyota's truck and they've got my money and not much I can do at this point. Sad thing is, I like the truck & if they'd address the transmission issue fairly, I could be retained as a customer (& send some more their way) if they'd quit this GM/Chrysler-like behavior.

A wise man once said better to make $100 from a customer ten times than $200 once. Balls in your court Toyota.
  • ccl1961ccl1961 Member Posts: 4
    After reading all this, they have lost a customer for now. I will wait and see what happens but only for a month or so and then here I come Nissan!
    Seems from the posts that at least word is getting out to potential customers about this issue. My truck now has around 8300 miles on it and still the transmission gets hung up when turning corners, downshifts a little rough when slowing down around 35 mph, and is jerky at times when accelerating. I have also just recently noticed that at around 25-35mph when the transmission starts the downshifting, if I lightly touch the gas, the truck will shudder until I adjust the pressure I am applying to the gas pedal. I have spoke to several 09 Tacoma owners now and everyone I have talked to has experienced the same general issues with the transmission. Problem is, they have not taken any action to complain! I have urged everyone to bring it to the attention of Toyota. And as much as I like everything else about the truck, each time someone asks me how I like it, I tell them about the transmission. Wake up Toyota. You are losing customers. I will not be completely satisified with my truck nor will I be a future Toyota customer unless you address this issue.
  • bishtacobishtaco Member Posts: 3
    I too have the same tranny issue. Vibration from 25-10mph deceleration and a slip at 10mph. Service says it's normal. Started around 400 miles, now have 1500. Had I known I'd have this issue I would have bought a ridgeline. When toyota fixes this I'll give a posting. Mine is an 09 prerunner four-door SR5. Very frustrating for a new truck. I'd expect this from Ford, not Toyota.
    I would not count on Toyota fixing this for you, they haven't for anyone else. I believe we will have to organize a class action suit to get them to do anything about it, they show no interest in the problem.

Ben
  • disappointed23disappointed23 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2007 fully loaded Tacoma Manual TRD. There's always been reasons to take it into the shop, though a big one was for a squeaky manual transmission that ended up being replaced after about 20k miles. Since then the front passenger side suspension started squeaking, which the dealer cant find a problem to. I dont offroad. Bigger problem is that when I press or release the accelerator (even turn off and turn on the cruise control) there is a lag and a knock...feels like the engine mounts need replacing. knocking started after 30k service, maybe coincidence, but its not been long after transmission replacement. Second time out of dealer for the knocking last week and dealer refuses to admit there is a problem.

Overall, though I have tried to ignore it, it appears that I have bought a lemon. I cant find similar problems to mine on the internet, and it does appear that all my problems have been related to car assembly rather than component manufacture, which apparently occur in USA and Japan, respectively. Not finger pointing, just trying to state observations, all of which are up for challenge.

I hope that some of you have some useful opinions, and even recommendations, but my current state of mind is that i have to sell this tacoma. I had hoped to keep for a few years, and I did do my research which did show that I would spend a little more but get reliability. But I cant trust the truck, I cant trust my dealer, and I dont know when this truck is going to fail again because my conclusion is overall lack of quality during assembly.

I hope you can help me decide one way or another, either I sell it (and lose my investment money from buying new/cash), or I get dirty with Toyota, which will cost a lot of time and anguish..and probably low expectation of success..and what is success?..they solve the latest transmission problem....and then overall lack of quality yields a new problem in 6 months..?

Looking forward to your input,
    Disappointed23
  • ccl1961ccl1961 Member Posts: 4
    Sounds like you have dealer problems more than assembly problems.
    What an excellent description of the problems. I had the Toyota rep look at my truck yesterday and apparently they can't see the problem. Therefore, I filed a complaint with the NGTSA today. I get the feeling this is going to be a long hard road. A necessary one however for safety reasons. Everyone with this problem should file a complaint. Hang in there.