Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Transmission Problems

Comments

• befuddled2befuddled2 Member Posts: 111
    With the similar problems we're experiencing it should be noted that other sites are posting this problem as well. This comes from TTORA. See posting athttp://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124719 . This what it states.

09 Tacoma Transmission Slipping/Shifting Strange
    I just bought a 2009 Tacoma Prerunner 4x2 V6, AT, double cab. I have 797 miles on it as of today. My transmission is acting funny and though I have found similar posts on the net regarding my problems, NO ONE has posted anything definite regarding possible causes, even after taking to the dealer.

Issue #1: When I have come to a stop, after about 5-10 seconds, it feels like the truck moves forward slightly, like someone has bumped me. I notice the RPM's jump a little when this happens. Some say this is related to the A/C.

Issue#2: The transmission slipped twice today, while slowing down and turning on to another street. It is like it was downshifting and got stuck for a moment in another gear. It happened quick and it is possible I hit the gas right while it was downshifting (even though that should not matter).

Issue #3: When I take my foot off the gas, to start slowing down in a lower speed zone, the transmission seems to get hung up around 35mph, then downshifts around 20mph. I can see the RPM's move up and down as it shifts. It is not as bad as it sounds, but it is not a smooth slow down. To me, I should not feel anything but a smooth coasting, like my former Nissan Frontier. If I am braking to slow down, it kinda feels like the truck has a few surges forward.

I dropped off at dealer today. Of course they said they had never heard of any of this, but I have found plenty of posts on the net that are similar. Service manager stated that it is all electronic now days and they will check it out.

Anyone else experience these issues? Any ideas as to what is going on? The dealer had the truck driven 270 miles to their lot, all on Interstate. I am wondering if the constant speeds caused a problem. Service manual says do not drive at a constant speed for excessive amounts of time in the first 1,000miles.
  • casteebcasteeb Member Posts: 13
    Yep...just sent mine back to the dealer today - 2nd time - they claim everything is normal. I have asked to see the Toyota rep. - they quoted me 3 weeks wait for that.
    However, the lemon law here requires 3 trips to the dealer to file ...so I'll make one more to satisfy the law...and then file for protection.
  • bishtacobishtaco Member Posts: 3
    I had the dealer reset the computer on my taco. Mine has around 1700 miles and it appears as if the lack of gear catch at 10mph has gone away, for the most part. It doesn't hesitate as much and catches better. Also, starting RPM seems to be a bit less which is good. Service said to give it a week. I got mine with 300 miles because it came from another state and the computer must've learned the porter's driving habits instead of mine. So, for now, looks as if it worked. If it doesn't, I'll let everyone know.
  • tacoma1958tacoma1958 Member Posts: 21
    I also filed a complaint via the NHTSA web site. I also returned my truck for repair on 3 separate occasions. They reset the computer, then checked the fluid and, on the third visit, did both. I then met wit 2 Toyota service reps that said there was no issue. The truck performs as designed. You have no claim. I filed for arbitration. The company that heard the case in on Toyota's payroll. I lost. I will now trade or sell my truck because I can not stand to drive it.

Hate it.
    For all interested, there is now a Facebook page dedicated to Tacoma Transmission problems. Please join.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=99286344693
  • harris42harris42 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2004 4wd Tacoma 4 door TRD limited with 52,000 on it. Whew, that's a mouthful. Anyway, I also own a 95.5 Tacoma sx 4wd with a manual tranny and have put 300,000 miles on it. The newer Tacoma is only the second car I've ever had that has an automatic, and the problems you are experiencing are similar to some things I've noticed about the 04, but are issues that I wrote off as what I've never liked about automatics--that is, they are just quirky to drive compared to a manual. For instance, the lurching bump downshift when coming to a stop--it actually feels as though the truck is pulling against the rotors until it finally decides to drop the last gear. At first it was bothersome, especially because I'm used to doing the shifting, as well as being used to the engine braking I get from my 95.5 manual, but now I'm getting used to it, and I don't think it is a catastriphy waiting to explode--Toyota just over-engineered the tranny, having it computer controlled instead of otherwise. You will probably also find that if you manually shift the truck up from D1 thru D that it doesn't shift with the lever movement--there is a bit of a lagtime as the computer catches up to your input and all the other issues that it is monitoring. Does this mean that your truck has longevity issues? I doubt it. My 95.5 had a tranny growl at 55mph when I bought it new, and it still has it 300,000 miles later, and I have never changed the clutch or even (and I hate to admit this because I'm a professional mechanic) the tranny fluid. In short, it's a quirk. Obviously this "problem" that you mentioned has been a Toyota characteristic for at least 5 years, and they haven't changed it, so I'm guessing that it really isn't an issue other than a feel preferrence. Would I prefer to glide to a stop without the sparatic drop shift bumps, yeah, but is it going to get me to hate my truck? Nope. I'll tell you something more irritating--Toyotas with rack streering, have rubber bushings keeping the rack anchored, and the wear out fast. Theresult is a certain amount of play and "hunting" in the steering, especially at highway speeds in a strong breeze. Yota doesn't sell the complete bushing kit, (only way to change the main bushing is to buy a complete rack) which is actually fairly easy to change in the garage, and so you have to go aftermarket. Why Yota hasn't addressed this issue is beyond me, steering is the biggest issue when looking into how an aging vehicle holds up. My 95.5 is still tight, but I credit that top a steering dampner I added when the truck was new--95.5 were undersprung in the rear (a recall I believe) and it caused a bit of steering wheel shimmy. Anyway, I hope this helps rest your nerves. Peace.
  • ccl1961ccl1961 Member Posts: 4
    I don't think the trans problems is happening on 05's to 08's. I haven't seen a post one other than 09's doing the trans thing.
  • tacomashanetacomashane Member Posts: 27
    Doesn't calm my nerves much at all. Maybe a little with regard to the lurching downshift. Do you work for Toyota? I am disgusted with the constant slipping/hesitation of my transmission when slowing down and subsequently accelerating when turning onto another street, when making a U-turn (not only does the engine rev but so does my heart with on-coming traffic), and when simply driving over a speed bump. If you make frequent stop and go's (i.e., do a lot of city street driving), this truck will drive you nuts! Mine is an 09 Taco automatic TRD Sport Pkg. with 9500 miles on it now. Had the computer reset once, helped for a while, but now it is still the same if not worse as when I bought it. Toyota told me the computer has to learn my driving habits and it could take 1-5K miles to do so. BS! This is the most idiotic statement I have ever heard. What other computer has to learn a person's habits? My home computer, my washing machine, my dryer, my dish washer? NO. Then they tell me that if my wife drives the truck too, that could cause problems because then the computer is trying to learn her habits which are different from mine. So I guess these trucks are meant to be driven by one person only? That is a major design flaw. NEVER will I buy Toyota again. This is a cheaply made truck as the slightest bump of the body causes a dent. I have two panels that cover my door and window control levers which vibrate (have tried to fix this with felt lining, guess I will have to glue them down). I have a buzzing sound coming from under my glove compartment (sounds like a bumble bee caught in paper and I cannot find the source). My air conditioning fan started making noise one day, as if it was about to die (fortunately has only happened once). I feel like I bought a lemon.
    Thank you Harris42. Sounds like well thought out reasoning. The transmission problem in reality for getting used to I can live with. It's the very real possibility of it not reacting in an emergency situation that bothers me most. I want the truck to move if I need it too and as things are I don't trust it to do just that. Thereby, leaving me and or others open to getting T-Boned and being dead right. Thanks again.
  • kevin144kevin144 Member Posts: 8
    I have been shopping for a 2x4 double cab long bed tacoma for 6 months. I have test driven the vehicle on 5 different occassions. The test drive was impressive. I called Toyota regarding the transmisson problem they have no such complaints. Is their any Toyota owners not having any problems wth the 09 toyotas ?
  • tacomaryetacomarye Member Posts: 11
    When I first got my 09. It did have some odd shifting behaviors. However, it seemed to improve the more i drove it. I hear that the computer system learns your driving habits and adjusts accordingly. I spoke with the dealer regarding the transmission and they told me that the 5spd automatics are a 'busy' transmission. I have a 4x4 double cab 4 liter. Its a great truck, and everyone who rides in it, or drives it says it rides real smooth. As the primary driver, I do notice the transmission at times.
    Well my friend if Toyota is telling you they have no complaints that is an outright lie. But then why would they. There are other posting out there like Edmunds with complaints like you see here. There are some out there without this problem which begs the question what is different? When I pose the question to them all I get for a response is it is a normal characteristic. That is an acknowledgement of the problem in itself. You can ignore it if you want. I'm begining to think Toyota is over rated. It's plain they have no intention of addressing the problem. Good luck
  • pesteele1pesteele1 Member Posts: 5
    Kevin,

To be as charitable to Toyota as I can, they are flat-out lying to you. Not sure if you are referring to salespeople at the dealership or Toyota national. Either way, its a real stretch to believe everything here and at Cars.com, Consumer Reports, etc. is simply made up and fabricated & if so, to what end. Ask them why they have a TSB & they are going to arbitration if there is no issue. Personally, I've got things I'd much rather do than blog about Toyota transmissions

Your choice, but if they're treating us this way, how do you think they are going to treat you after a thousand miles?

PS - the 2-3 trucks I test drove operated beautifully (as did mine until 400 miles) so caveat emptor.
    Toyota national has no such complaints regarding their transmission, I guess keep reporting. I did notice their are 12 complaints on the NHTSA site. I am waiting to see whats new for 2010 tacomas.
    edited August 2011
    I don't know about Toyota "National", but Southeast Toyota had at least one complaint. It went to arbitration. At the very least, I'd call that a complaint. I traded my Tacoma on a Frontier. What a relief I don't have to drive that ****** anymore. It's a shame, too, becasue besides the transmission issue, it's a good truck.
    You mention it went to arbitration. What was the result? I've applied for arbitration. Be sure to post the result please.
  • dboatrigdboatrig Member Posts: 1
    Many of the descriptions of tranny problems here sound exactly like our '02 Lexus es300. The dealer and Toyota corporate responses are exactly the same (computer will learn, need computer update, etc). They eventually acknowledged it was an issue and sent notices to owners to have the dealer perform an updated computer mapping, but it did not fix the problem. If this is really an issue with the Tacoma also, they never will fix it either. Don't worry, you eventually get used to the hunting, jerking, over-revving, delayed shift response, etc.
  • fflewisjefflewisje Member Posts: 1
    When I am at the stop light and then start accelerating away from the light, the back tires start to spin (normally when it is wet outside). I notice that initially there is little power for acceleration but then the truck "all of a sudden" accelerates, which normal causes the tires to start spinning. I wanted to know if anyone else is having this same problem, if anyone knows what the issue is, and how to fix this problem.
    Sorry fflewisje, don't know what the problem is however, it certainly sounds like a computer problem. I'm becoming more and more convinced that the fly by systems developed by Toyota leave a lot to be desired. Like my problem keep posting here when you find a solution. Beware the phrase "normal characteristic". Good luck my friend.
  • ccl1961ccl1961 Member Posts: 4
    I have to post this. I have bought a 2009 Tacoma about a week ago and during the test drive I made turns like described and every turn I got the truck to do what is described. And has done it since. Let me say this much. IT IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THE TRANSMISSION!!!! All that the trans is doing is downshifting into 1st when it's supposed to be in 2nd and I am sure there is a good reason for this. But there is NOTHING wrong with your transission!
    ccl1961,

Trying to understand your hostility and why you would even take the time to post your message if it is a normal characteristic? How do you know it is a normal characteristic? Have you surveyed every single 09 Tacoma owner to know how many transmissions are actually behaving like this? Are you saying that every 09 Tacoma does this? Sounds like you work for Toyota. Apparently you don't mind a transmission that slips and gets hung up and revs your engine while it searches for the next gear. Would you call that smooth operation? Wait until you pull out into traffic and your tranny activates its NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC!
    ccl1961,

"All that the trans is doing is downshifting into 1st when it's supposed to be in 2nd and I am sure there is a good reason for this. But there is NOTHING wrong with your transission!"

And your above statement means there is nothing wrong "when it's supposed to be in 2nd"?
    Befuddled2: Sorry to take so long answering your question. My case went to arbitration. I elected the "documents only" format. I sent my paperwork in as did Toyota. I presented service tickets, copies of complaints to the NHTSA web site, a copy of the TSB issued for Camry transmissions, and a DVD with a short video of my dashboard (speedometer and tachometer) during a transmission slip. The arbitration team (who is on Toyota's payroll) denied my request fro re-purchase. They said I failed top prove my case with reasonable proof. I don;t know what, if anything, would have convinced them otherwise.

"normal characteristic": It was also a normal characteristic for Pintos to blow up when struck from behind. It was normal characteristic for Explorers to roll over when there tires had a blow out.

+
    If I may add a note here. First off, the term "Normal Characteristic" is one used by the Toyota people. It defines their belief that it is not a problem and that is the way it is supposed to work. Not all of them do it. Hence the question what is different that makes this occur to some and not others. We have two Toyota products. The one the wife drives employes the same technology only under the name of Lexus. It does not do this. In fact, the transistion from one gear to another is barely discernible at all. My personal concern is that on roads that I drive visibility is a real problem. There are times when you commit yourself to go and at that point another vehicle appears from nowhere. I want to be sure that when I step on that accelerator to go it does. The computer taking it's time to decipher what gear it wants to be in could leave me or someone else being dead right. Not knowing whether it will react tends to make one more of a defensive driver out of necessity. Even so, you could end up dead right. It is my belief that this is a fixable problem and Toyota won't tackle the problem. It has definitely left me with ill regard for them. Good luck.
    Thank you sir. My oh my, you did go to some trouble to prove your case. I wondered who the arbitrator might be. Obviously, an arbiter from an interested party tends to yield unfavorable results. The more things change the more they stay the same. We're still paying to be guinea pigs aren't we. All the best to you.
  • blacktactacoblacktactaco Member Posts: 5
    It might be normal to some trucks, but that does not mean it is normal. What DB believes that when your coming out of a corner and the motor reves while the converter does not lock up putting you in perils way is a moron !

There is something wrong and it needs fixed. My 09 does it too !
  • usedcar3usedcar3 Member Posts: 5
    Oh ! I have same problem like you but have not any idea. :confuse:
  • vannelksvannelks Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find anything out? I just purchased an 07' prerunner crew cab TRD Sport. It does the same thing your describing here. Let me know if you found out anything, Thanks
    Not as yet. However, there was a gentleman on here that went to arbitration and lost. Turns out the arbiter was Toyota itself. If that makes sense to you I got a truck to sell you. Keep pursuing it as it is only through persistence that issues such as these get changed. Good luck my friend.
    Still fighting with Toyota to get a fix for this. Now we wait for the week when a Toyota rep is available to "look" at the problem. It is maddening that they won't own up to this problem.
    You're only waiting a week? I had to wait a month.
  • djwtarheeldjwtarheel Member Posts: 14
    I posted back in June that I had narrowed my search for a small/midsize truck down to the Tacoma and Frontier, (with the Toyota in the lead) but given all the transmission problems posted on here and other web sites (and Toyota's lack of response), I am happy to say I purchased an 09 Frontier. I have owned three Toyota products in the past (including a Tacoma), but decided to give Nissan a chance given all that I've seen on the web. While there are positives and negatives for each truck, I'm happy to say that after nearly 2500 miles, I have had no problems at all with the Frontier (the transmission is very smooth as a matter of fact). My point in posting on here is so that Toyota will see they are in fact losing business and severly hurting their reputation. I was a loyal Toyota customer due to their reliablity (and I know Nissan's rep. isn't as good overall), but I couldn't risk putting up with all that you all are dealing with. I hope you all are able to find resolutions soon...best of luck...
  • pesteele1pesteele1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Everyone,

Haven't posted for awhile - no resolution for my tranny issues, problem persists & I'm beyond expecting Toyota to address. I've written the whole experience off as a bad purchase decision and will dump the truck as soon as I find the least painful and costly to do so. Needless to say, this has been my last Toyota.

I don't expect Toyota to come begging me to reconsider, apologize or even fix the damn thing, but it truly puzzles me why, after they can see what has happened to GM and Chrysler, they persist in committing corporate suicide right out in front of everyone. It's almost like watching an addict continually refuse to acknowledge how their behavior is affecting them & how its perceived by others.

FWIW, the NUMMI plant at Fremont where my vehicle was built is being shut down - it's already started.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I have an 08 Double cab TRD and do not seem to have the transmission trouble that alot of people are having. I am an old guy who drives easy and most of the time is in no hurry. I have 5500 miles on this truck and get 21mpg all the time. a few weeks ago I was driving with a heavy foot and started to notice the transmission searching for a few millie seconds and I could feel the hesitation so I went back to driving it easy and smooth. This might be something to try if your truck is driving you nuts but from what I understand it will take your trucks computer several thousand miles to learn your new driving style. Is there anyone out there that drives very easy and smooth and still has this problem?
    Well sir you don't say how old you are and I myself am not a spring chicken anymore. I do believe that I also drive easy and smooth. I suppose that could be debated till the cows come home. Perhaps we should look at it this. When Airbus came up with the fly by wire method of operating an aircraft and went to show it off at the airshow; they had a major problem on the flyby which if you remember ended in tragedy. Why? The computer was convinced the plane was landing and the pilots were trying to gain altitude and airspeed. The computer won out and you can see the result. I believe we have the same type of scenario here. Problem is the computer cannot see the same ambient conditions of the road as we do. What pray tell do you think the eventual result is going to be? GMA had a story which played last week about Volkswagen and their gear box. It is developing into a similar type situation. Don't get me wrong for the most part I think the truck is just fine. This issue of the computer controlled transmission is still in its infancy yet to be realized by the public as a whole. Problem is getting Toyota and the auto industry to realize it before and fix it before it is the cause of deaths on the highways much like the old Pinto story. Have a good one.
  • tazzy2000tazzy2000 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2009 Prerunner -- after 150 miles I had to have it towed in b/c the check engine light came on, the engine lost power, and the air conditioner went out -- turns out a couple of the spark plugs had not been tightened down completely -- at the same time I complained about the slipping of the tranny -- 3 people apparently test drove the truck and found nothing wrong -- the truck continued with the slipping at below 10 MPH going from first to second gear -- I tried to replicate it but it took another 1400 miles before I sort of figured out when it would feel like it was slipping -- I took the truck in to have someone ride with me while I tried to get the truck to slip -- even before I took it out with "Tony" he told me he knew what I was talking about and he understood the complaint, we took the truck out any way. He felt the slipping and told me that's normal --- that's the way the computer/truck/emissions/gas mileage work together -- I bitched about what a piece of crap it was and Tony finally asked if I wanted a Toyota rep to test drive it with me -- I don't know what a rep is going to do about it, but I am now waiting for the appt with the rep. I can't believe this is "normal" unless EVERY 2009 Prerunner does the same thing!!! And I don't think they ALL do it???? I HATE DRIVING MY TRUCK!!!!
    I feel the same as you. Ridiculous the way my truck drives!
  • davidirndavidirn Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a new 09 TRD prerunner. The day after I bought it I took it back complaining that the transmission slips at low RPMs between 1st and 2nd gear. The service manager for Tracy Toyota said that the transmission needs to get to know you and my driving habits and that everything was fine even without doing any diagnostic testing. I now have made at least 5 complaints to anyone in the dealership and Toyota who will listen to me. They all deny any problems. My last complaint was made yesterday I stated if I do not get any satification I am going to ask to take this to arbitration or try to get the truck declared a lemon. Is there anyone who has successfully done either?
    Well, my good friend welcome to the club. I recommend that you view through the pages of this web site at the number of complaints that you are espousing. You are not alone. Many of us have and are experiencing the same thing. My case found the dealer sympathizing with me and saying they were helpless because Toyota would not tackle the problem. After pressing the issue Toyota finally claimed it to be a "Normal Characteristic" of the vehicle and therefore they would do nothing. I found it amazing how quickly Toyota and the dealer closed ranks against my argument. The dealer is not your friend. Unfortunately, the arbitration is not by a disinterested third party but by Toyota itself. Lemon law is not as easy as you may think. It boils down to buyer beware just like it has always been. I've proclaimed this to be a safety issue and we all know that safety issues require the loss of many lives before they are addressed. Good Luck my friend.
    I can't believe Toyota will not own up to problem that keeps on happening. Normal characteristic - not normal at all I never read so many complaints against Toyota. Their is no complaint registered at Toyota Financial because Toyota deemed the transmission problem a normal characteristic. I wonder how many customers felt the transmission slippage while test driving the vehicle. The 2010 Toyota tacoma is just a carryover from 09. What a shame.
  • geobaygeobay Member Posts: 1
    Dont know if this is the right forum, but my 06 taco 4x4 trd has gone through 3 sets of axle seals. The dealer says I need to have my axle replaced -$3,000.00!
    The truck has 180,000 km on it (in Canada) which is about 114,000 miles. I tow a cargo trailer, and again the dealer says that may be a problem, but i am nowhere near the 6000lb towing capacity... Any ideas?
    Thanks
  • joanrichjoanrich Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2009 Toyota Tacoma 4 door Prerunner.
    I am experiencing the same problems as every 09 Tacoma owner is, plus more.
    Transmission sticks/hesitates when accelerating after de-accelerating; especially when turning corners under the speed of 15 mph and when yielding. I have contacted the dealership and Toyota headquarters with this problem and have voiced what a safety hazard it is.
    I am waiting for the third (3rd) radio to arrive and be installed in the truck. The first two cut on and off by their self. The display cuts on and off by it self. You can not change radio stations at times. If you try; sometimes the whole radio will cut off. Sometimes the radio will not work at all.
    I have an annoying noise in the passenger rear door. Sounds like an empty can was left inside the door before assembly and now this can rolls around at free will.
    I have never been so stressed with any vehicle. A person is supposed to enjoy driving their automobile - I am so far from that enjoyment; it's sickning.
    I have issued a complaint with NHTSA - everyone with same/similar problems please do the same. http://www.odi/nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints
    Complain to your dealership. Complain to Toyota 1-800-331-4331.
    As a consumer, we should not have to pay for Toyota skimping on their quality. I do not believe they can claim the honor of quality in their manufacturing any longer. The 09 Toyota Tacoma's are junk. If they were only man enough to own up to the defects; especially safety defects, but they continue to advise everyone to say this is normal. These kinds of defects come back on every automobile company out there; the same will happen to Toyota. I won't buy another and I will pass my opinion on.
    I feel you brother.... I met with our local Tallahassee Toyota rep today (after waiting over a month) to voice my complaints about the transmission shifting problem and shaking under acceleration .
    Bless the man, he doesn't build them but he is our interface and the only one we have really. I drove the truck with him in it to him show exactly what the problem is. He nodded and claimed that he really hasn't had people complaining about the 09 Tacoma transmission ...but he has heard of the issue. OK - fine what can we do?
    There is truly nothing a rep can do for you.
    He does however claim that Toyota monitors the Edmunds and other websites for feedback and thinks there must not be enough people outspoken about the problems ot Toyota would be addressing it..
    When Nissan finally gets some Frontier inventory into the South, I will resolve this problem ....but it will be very expensive and a lesson I will long remember.

I have since Feb. sent 3 people to Nissan that were looking to buy Tacomas.
    Maybe they will get it when we are all driving Nissan and laughing at Toyota's attempts to regain confidence in the small truck business. I would guess they will have a hard time regaining ours...

Ben Casteel
    Tallahassee, FL
  • zook3zook3 Member Posts: 2
    pretty sick right now. just traded my ever reliable 97 Avelon in for an 09 tacoma. thought it was my imagination the first time my transmission slipped, in a turn, between 1st and 2nd. after about the fifth time (in addition to getting a combined 15.5 mpgs) i decided to check the web for help. sorry that i did. I have and appointment on friday to take it to the dealer. also experiencing the same downshifting problems when i take my foot off the gas. mine was a dealer demo with 2600 miles so i guess the general manager and i have different driving habits. my wife has and Expedition that gets better gas mileage. I'd also expect my V6 2WD to get better gas milegae than my friends 09 Tundra. Hope that we all get a resolution to this problem or i for one have purchased my last toyota product.
    Thanks for posting gentlemen. I believe this is the only way Toyota is going to pay attention. It's not fun to feel snookered when you buy a product rated everywhere as the best you can get. Just goes to show that marketing and so called magazines can still mislead us. Will we never learn? P. T. Barnum was right. Just wait till Obama care kicks in.
  • davidirndavidirn Member Posts: 4
    My complaint is #191 on this site. I have made a complaint online to the NHTSA I did receive a call back and they did take my statement. HOWEVER I called a Toyota dealer other that the one I bought my truck from and I did get some additional information. No Toyota service department will take and put your complaint into documentation about the transmission problem. If they do document your complaint then the must fix the problem and while Toyota is stating this is a normal characteristic then there is nothing to fix. The second thing I found out is that the NHTSA has looked into this problem with the transmission and found it to be just as Toyota had stated a normal charactestic. But if the NHTSA get enough complaints they may have another look. OR if someone is injured or killed then they have to. Good luck
  • tennesseeman1tennesseeman1 Member Posts: 11
    I have exactly the same problem with the transmission of my 2009 Tacoma as everyone else has mentioned. It hesitates at low speeds after slowing and then accelerating. This is very dangerous and I have had some close calls when turning left in front of oncoming traffic. It also does not coast to a stop, but seems to downshift to a lower gear. The service manager at the dealership told me that Toyota had been aware of the problem and was working on a computer solution. I am angry because the salesman should have told me about this problem before I bought this defective vehicle. I have filed a complaint (online) with the NHTSA . I also called NHTSA today and asked how many complaints they had on file. They only have 18 complaints on file as of today. Everyone needs to either file a complaint on-line or call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236.
    In short, Most of us have ....and from what my Toyota rep says, you better be blogging this son, it 's the only thing that Toyota really listens to. Consumer Reports and car websites.
    For anyone with even a little programming experience you know it just can't be that hard to rewrite the byte code that needs to be uploaded to the CPU that controls the tranny. My guess it they must have hard-wired something and don't want to go through the expense of the recall.
    Exactly what I've been trying to get people to do concerning this problem. Thanks for posting. I've not received any further communication from the NHTSA since sending in my documentation. We need more people to do so. I still consider it a safety hazard and have since the begining. I pray that no one is killed because of this. Encourage others to follow your path.
  • rocker59rocker59 Member Posts: 1
    Hello.
    New member here, a little too late it seems.

I purchased a '09 Tacoma exactly one month ago. I have been experiencing the same problems with my transmission as most of you. I kept trying to make excuses for the bizarre behavior. In fact, I wasn't worried about it at all because I assumed if there was indeed a problem the warranty would cover it.

Then, Google-ing 3 words changed my perception of Toyota... Toyota Tacoma transmission... I hope this will not be an ongoing nightmare, but it sounds like I'm in for it.

Has anyone successfully fixed the problem?