Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Transmission Problems

Comments

• befuddled2befuddled2 Member Posts: 111
    Thats just it you don't. I don't know how to do it any other way. I can't cut and paste it onto here. Others have done with no problems that I know of. It's just a case of do you want to take the chance. Have a good one.
  • starsprite1starsprite1 Member Posts: 6
    Alright..well here is one that I use sometimes and isnt my main one so should be okay. starsprite45@hotmail.com . Could you go ahead and send me a link or something about the 2009 one or if you know of how to get the 2010 one I would appreciate finding out how.

thanks again!
  • 09taco09taco Member Posts: 33
    I was wondering if anyone knows how to disconnect or remove the downhill assist feature from a 2009 Toyota Tacoma auto, V-6 TRD offroad Package, I don't use it, I never go off road, and I do believe this is why the transmissions have the annoying down shifts and not knowing when to shift correctly...maybe just a reprogramming issue? I don't know, but I really hate the way the transmissions hunt for the right gear to be in....any help would be great..thanks...
    I went right to the dealer and they reprogrammed the transmission and it seemed to fix the problem, however it don't fix the downhill assist feature.. I still get a transmission that hunts for the correct gear, and get the occasional hard down shift. when going down a hill around 40-50mph. I have the 09 double cab 4x4 TRD offroad.
    The dealer told me this is the correct way the transmission is set up..
    We have a 2010 Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab 4x 2 V6 longbed with the TRD package. Would it have the downhill assist feature, since it's not a 4x4?

Also does anyone know what they mean by a Prerunner?? Even the salesman didn't know.
  • tognettitognetti Member Posts: 1
    Could you please send me the TSB0703-09 fix notice.

Thanks

sunnski@pacbell.net
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited April 2010
    Toyota began installing a new automatic transmission design that improved FE back in '98 with the introduction of the RX300. The design was seriously flawed in that it COULD NOT support two gear changes in quick succession. Let up on the gas lightly, slightly, the transmission will upshift. Then reapply gas pedal pressure fairly quickly and you will encounter as much as a 2 second delay/"hesitation" before the required downshift can complete.

The best the new reflash can do is alleviate a few of these downshift delay instances by detecting, MAYBE DETECTING, the driver's future intent as/when the gas pedal foot pressure is removed. No "upshift" for cruising, no downshift delay.

Slow release of pressure will imply to the transmission control computer that the driver's intent is to simply enter cruise, cruising mode. Quickly release the gas pedal and the transmission will assume a need to coastdown using the current gear ratio.

Ever since the widespread premature transaxle failures of the '99 & '00 RX300 due to this design flaw they have been struggling to find a full and complete FIX for the inherent design flaw.

On the other hand, Ford, having the VERY same problem with/in the new Edge, immediately stepped up to the plate and revised the flawed design, OBVIOUSLY flawed design. Ford adopted a variable volume ATF pressure pump so the line pressure could still be sustained at a sufficiently high level even with the engine at idle. And then still be able to change, incrementally, to a lower and lower pumping volume to conserve fuel as engine RPMs rise.

Just another instance of the Japanese societal culture of not admitting mistooks due to the possible SHAME. The flip side of the societal culture of "keep your head down" (least you get it chopped off). NEVER point out mistakes for fear of inadvertently embarressing someone "above".

But I still find it hard to believe, VERY hard to believe, that Toyota has adopted this flawed, terribly flawed, automatic transmission design to the heavier product line, pickups, etc. The FE gain must be much more serious then I have imagined.

By why not make use of teh Ford technique..?? NIH..? Reluctance to admit the mistake???

Weird, just weird.
    What an interesting synopsis. I don't know what FE is but my wife has a 2007 RX350. The transaxle had to be replaced within a month of our getting the car. Since then it has worked quite well. However, my 2009 toyota Tacoma dbl cab 4X4 had the problem you described. The fix TSB0709-09 fixed the problem. I don't know about the Japanese culture not admitting mistakes but I sure know that the American culture sure won't admit it. Whether Japanese or American is irrelevant. It is just plain business. They entice us with new gadgets and we buy it thinking how cool it is that we have this without regard to the fact that we are the guinea pigs to determine whether or not these gadgets will work. For that we have only to blame ourselves. Perhaps we should insist on proof that these new methods work as claimed before we buy them? I agree that Toyota has handled this issue and many others they are suffering from right now very poorly. Our government agencies do not do what they are supposed to do either in protecting us. Name me one that does? Unfortunately, it's still buyer beware just as it's always been. We are such slow learners. NIce piece though.
  • ianc435ianc435 Member Posts: 10
    I have a new sr5 trd sport 1200 miles. If I stop at a light and shift in to park or neutral(2minutes) shift back into drive wait for the truck to roll forward (now in drive) and then step on the accelerator I get no response until the computer catches up(2-3seconds), then the engine races to the appropriate referenced pedal postion. This caught me off guard a few times. It happens only half of the time. Brought it to dealer ship. Tech recognized the problem but told me that that was normal in his report but looked for a reflash/tsb anyway. 2009 SIENNA'S had problem tech told me. If it normal why did they look for a tsb????? Why does it happen sometimes?????
    Bet you a dollar to a donut the problem is in the computer. Gut feeling only but that seems to be where a lot of the problems lie.
    Yeah most likely, goes from throttle pedal(module) to ecm to throttle module. Not to mention everything else that talks to each computer. Probaly twenty or so inputs before my car can go forward. Whats wrong with a throttle cable?????
    It works! Remember the old adage, If it ain't broke break it.
    I have a 2009 TRD off Road double cab. And I have the same report. I took it back to the dealer, and they said , that's the way it is.. I told them this is not right. there should not be a delay at all, when you go from neutral to drive and hit the gas and nothing happens for a 2-3 secs. I'm really glad I'm not the only one with the same problems
    We have a 2010 TRD double cab, two wheel drive. I responded up above about my husband and I just buying this truck and having the transmission problems. What we did was he called the Toyota National Hotline at 800-331-4331 and told them about this site and the TSB# TSB0703-10 and the problems he and others were having with the transmission. They said there was definitely a TSB on it and gave him an incident # in case he had any trouble with the dealer. The next day he took it to the dealership we bought it from, armed with copies from this thread and the TRD# in hand (did not have the printed off TRD though) and asked to speak the manager of the service dept. Showed him these responses, mentioned the TRD #, the guy said "yes you are right, there is a TRD about the transmission", hubby insisted on showing him so took him out in it and it did it a little bit while the guy was in the truck, but he did not insist on my husband showing him. The actual flashing of the computer only took about 10 minutes and now it drives much better (according to hubby). I have not driven it yet. (I am the computer person and found info on the truck and this site and the problem). Yeah Me!!! So, there definitely is a problem and there is definitely a fix and a Toyota dealership should fix it for you with no arguing!!
  • akonakon Member Posts: 1
    i have a toyota tacoma 1996 model , i tried changing the transmission fluid and filter , after changing my transmission is not shifting properly again , can some one help on what to do,
  • supermanmjlsupermanmjl Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have an 09 Tacoma dble cab, trd v6 truck and I'm having the same issue has everyone has been having w/ the tranny issues. Could you send me a copy of the TSB0709-09 report please? would this fix the vibration I'm feeling when the truck is just idling? thanks! email is: michaelmjl@yahoo.com
    No, it won't fix the vibration. It is intended to reprogram the computer to remove the lapse of getting into the correct gear following the apex of a turn. Yes, I'll forward the TSB to you.
  • ew_bew_b Member Posts: 1
    TSB to fix low speed 1-2 / 2-1 shifting characteristics. TSB 0393-09

TSB 0393-09 deals with this specific issue. IT WORKS! Just as many on this blog have discussed low speed "gear- hunting" problems, I too had them. There is a lot of chatter on this site about TSB 0703-10 to fix this, There is no such TSB and the blogs citing this TSB number are creating confusion.

Inform your dealer of this fix. It involves re-flashing the computer with a revised program specifically for the A 10 model transmission installed in the Toyota Tachoma 4X4 and 4X2 6 cylinder models. It does NOT deal with vibration or banging issues described in many of the blog messages.

IT Works!
    question? Does anyone know what the TSB # is for the correction in a auto transmission that hunts for the correct gear about 40-50mph,. mine seems to shift up and down at these speeds. and also the trans. shifts down hard, only at times. I'm thinking the downhill assist control mod. is doing that.. anyway to disconnect this feature..???????????
    I believe others on hear have used the -10 on their 2010's. This is the first I've heard of there not being such a version. I have the -09 and have assumed from others on here that the only difference of the two TRB's is the year make of the vehicle. Can anyone there confirm this? I want everyone to get this problem fixed if possible and don't want to pass out erroneous information.
  • jbastidejbastide Member Posts: 1
    Running into the same problem with my 2009 tacoma 5spd, 4wd, regular cab. Noticeable clunk shifting from 1st to second and 2nd to third. 'Crunch' when going into 2nd. I don't even have 4,000 miles on the truck.

Going to bring it in to the dealer next week and have them take a look. I drove another 09 tacoma this week and the transmission felt like butter compared to mine. Hopefully I haven't wrecked or significantly worn the tranny.
  • creaky123creaky123 Member Posts: 6
    I'm glad to know I'm not crazy. Been having the same transmission problems. Service dept. at dealership told me the was no problem according to their computer read out. Please arm me with the TRS so I can get this problem fixed. Thanks.
    If I understand your statement correctly you want a copy of the TSB right? In order to do that I need your email address which they request that we do not do here. However, I know of no other way to do it.
    email address for creaky123
    fredcooper05@comcast.net
    will someone please send me the TSB 0393-09. fredcooper05@comcast.net
    I think you'll find the slight bump forward while stopped is indeed the compressor kicking on or off. It's annoying isn't it? See if it still happens when a/c is off and remember, the compressor is also on in the defrost mode too. Ment to remove moisture from cab to help clear windows.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    We ask that you not post your email addresses in your messages - we have no control over who will use them, as they are then visible to the entire internet. To contact each other, go to the Forum Preferences link at the top of the right-hand menu and make sure your email address is set to "public" (look under the "E-mail Settings" heading at the Preferences page). It will then be visible to members who click your username link in your posts. It will not be accessible to those who are not logged in or are just viewing from a search engine link.

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • maddog721maddog721 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma, 4x4, Crew Cab, 47K miles and automatic transmission. I was traveling on business and the truck was parked for three weeks and when I returned, the shifter lever was very stiff, difficult to move from Park to Drive. After a day or two of normal driving, the shifter moved normal but I’ve noticed when ever it’s parked for an extended period of time (> week), the shifter is stiff to move.

Any ideas what is the problem?
  • that_other_guythat_other_guy Member Posts: 3
    In pro offroad events like the Baja 1000 and so on, racers are allowed to pre-run the course to learn it, but they are not allowed to do so in their prepared race vehicles. So they build lesser-equipped or less capable vehicles as "pre-runners." Hence the term pre-runner. The Toyota PreRunner is 2WD, thus a "less capable" vehicle than the TRD 4WD. To me it's an odd marketing ploy, but it does offer some semblance of logic to those who know something about off-road racing and the like. Hope this helps.

That Other Guy
    I've been reading all this with interest since I've just bought an '08 PreRunner 4DR short bed. Bought it with 6k on the odo and have put on another 6k. I've been looking into various performance chips to pick up a couple of mpg and firm up the shifts to help what I perceive as too-soft, slippy shifts, and it's done the not-engaging-after-shifting-into-drive thing once that bothered me a lot. I'm glad to see that there is a possible official factory fix for this problem!

To get the text of any particular service bulletin, enter the number into the google search box on your browser and hit enter. Among the hits will be the official listing of the bulletin with all the text, charts, graphs, form numbers, etc. Just print it off and take it to the dealer. Thus, we won't need to e-mail copies all over the place and worry about forum policy regarding publishing e-mail addresses and so on. If you've got the bulletin number, you can print it off directly yourself. FYI.

Hope this helps,

That Other Guy
    If TSB 0393-09 will fix this transmission problem will someone please email me the information I need. fredcooper05@comcast.net
    sorry about posting the email address. go to creaky123 profile in the forum prefferance link at the top right of the page for listing of email address
  • cgbuchcgbuch Member Posts: 1
    The truck I brought from my brothr-in-law for my son and it is in perfect shape he bougth it new and was ALL highway miles..
    Problem:
    Transmission when cold start with shift into reverse real hard (Choke on) when firts drive off for a few miles each gear shifts hard after warms up shifts fine??? Took truck to dealear to have tranny flushed any recomendations would be appreciated....
  • justmedldjustmedld Member Posts: 4
    I'm curious if anyone else here has reached out to Toyota Corporate. Granted they are slammed with contacts right now. However I did reach out to them when my truck started slipping gears and they have gotten back in touch with me. So far they only wanted the VIN number........however it does give one hope that SOMEONE is looking into this issue.........anyone else?
  • tacomaryetacomarye Member Posts: 11
    2009 Tacoma.

My truck will shift hard when it first starts up. It revs high when its cold but will quickly get to a normal RPM within a minute or two. If you try shifting when its cold, it will definitely shift hard.

As for slipping gears, my truck had a update to its computer system that is supposed to help the computer know when to shift. Since this is my first truck, it is difficult for me to tell if its shifting normally for a truck or not. Sometimes it can be rough, but i suppose I have gotten used to it.

I have contacted Toyota corp. regarding a few issues, since it seemed like my dealer wasn't doing much. They say the same stuff. "We rely on the dealer to tell us if something is wrong". Then the dealer will say "it is performing as designed".

You should contact Toyota Corp. As you will be directed to a regional rep that can hopefully help you out.
    I suggest you read many of the postings in this forum and see if the problems stated herein fit yours.
  • rocco11rocco11 Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same problem. I have a 2009 Tacoma Prerunner 2x4 with 19,000 miles. The transmission slips at low speed. Sometimes it feels like I am being rear ended. I took it to the dealer twice and they told me there was nothing wrong. They told me it was the air conditioner condenser turning on and off.

So I drove it with the air conditioner off and it still does the same thing. I took it back to the dealer again and they said the transmission is fine and of course it would not do it when they drove it. They said there was nothing the could do.

Any suggestions
  • joncab5joncab5 Member Posts: 8
    I am a Toyota fan, always have been, but I only owned my 2009 Tacoma Pre-Runner Double-Cab for 1 1/2 years. I was tired of the surging at low speeds from the Transmission. The dealer said that is the way a truck is....well I don't believe that. This was the 3rd Toyota truck I have owned and the older ones did not make me afriad to own. My truck was made in Tijuanna Mexico...which is not the best city in the world and I am not sure what Toyota has become.

I have friends that work for Toyota and I know Toyota is involved in the community in Torrance, CA....where the US headquarters is located. That is all great but the Tacoma is outdated, too expensive and the TRANNY is horrible.

I finally found a link from this Forum for a Service Bulletin to get the problem fixed since the dealer could not find it or figure it out. It was fixed, but still not perfect, so I gave up and bought a Kia. Yes I did.

I only hope Toyota gets better and stops making short cuts. Redo the Tacoma and completely re-engineer the Tranny.
  • x4gottenxx4gottenx Member Posts: 1
    I have also had that problem twice.... I have an 05 extended V6 6-speed 4WD. I had it happen to me once when I first bought the truck and just recently this week. I was wondering when this happened to anyone how where you driving your truck and maybe an explanation because the stealership keeps doing the run around like the always do! I was towing two honda sport atvs up one of our colorado passes and it just dropped a whole bunch of oil from on top of the transmission/transfer case. Also I have a CDL and have been driving this pass for years ... so I know that is wasn't the way I drive and the two place trailer wasn't too much weight.... so if anybody has anything please let me know ... my warranty expires the 28th .... and I HAVE TO PAY 90$ just to let the mechanic look at it and see if its under warranty (its a "bumper to bumper" warranty) ... after this probably never buy another toy again :( thanks
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I have an 08 Tacoma Double cab TRD and It does the darnest things. If I am at a red light I swore that someone bumped into me because the transmission shifts while sitting still. Sometimes I will go to take off and it will be sluggish and then take off like a bat out of hell. It shifts weird and unpredictable. I have 17,000 miles on it and will not let my son or wife drive this thing. Until the competition can build a 5 passenger truck that can tow 6500 pounds and get 21mpg I guess I am stuck with it. Are you listening Ford??????
  • ragingmadmaxragingmadmax Member Posts: 1
    Greetings, was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on why my 99 Tacoma's automatic tranny suddenly started redlining be fore finally shifting up (HARD). Fluid is fresh and clean and no lights have lit on the dash... 160k miles and have never had ANY tranny issues before (believe it or not). Hoping for some insight, thanks in advance.

-Max
    Man, I wish I could explain it. The more stories I read and hear about autos anymore the more convinced I become that electronics on automobiles is not necessarily a good idea. The reliability factor of computers and sensors is not there and therefore dangerous. I wish you well.
    Not sure if this will help on your Taco, but it's almost a sure-fire fix on older domestic transmissions. The symptoms indicate either a vacuum leak between the intake manifold and the transmission's shift modulator valve or a faulty shift modulator valve in the transmission (diaphragm or o-ring, possibly). Check for vacuum leaks first at the manifold and transmission then along the vacuum hose between the two. Usually, just replacing the old vacuum line will do the trick.

Hope this helps,

That Other Guy
    edited June 2010
    Sorry, SOP, YOU'RE the one at fault.

These days with fuel prices as high as they are, and along with the emissions issue, it would be UTTERLY STUPID for an automotive engine and transmission, drive train, manufacturer to continue to maintain ATF line pressure at a high level when the transmission is placed in neutral or park. Shift the tranny into a drive position with the engine idling and of course it might take 1-2 seconds to build, re-build, enough ATF line pressure to satisfy the valve body operational requirements and then enough additional pressure to actually engage, fully and firmly engage, the necessary drum clutches, 1st gear, HIGH torque, drum clutches.

And all the while, of course, the engine remains at idle regardless of gas pedal position.

Either buy a stick shift, stop complaining, or learn to live with the issue. Your vehicle was not designed to be shifted into neutral in those circumstances. The new torque converters equipped with lockup clutches have such weak torque coupling charactoristics with the engine at idle that the FE gain using your shifting procedure is probably negligible.
    "..What's wrong with a throttle cable.."

Ask that of an owner of a 99 or '00 RX300 that has had the transaxle replaced prior to 80,000 miles, maybe even 2 or 3 times and the latter ones often at least partially, if not altogether, on the owners nickel.

With the abolition of the old style ATF pump, pressure relief spring valve and pressure holding accumulator in these new transmissions to improve FE the engine MUST be held at bay, IGNORING the gas pedal position until such time as a newly selected gear ratio's drum clutches can be fully and firmly engaged.

The early RX300's did not have DBW so the engine RPM would rise in direct response to gas pedal position, all the while the drum clutches were in the process of being "meshed".

By '01 Toyota had somewhat alleviated the problem by reprogramming the engine/transaxle ECU firmware in order to sustain the ATF line pressure at a somewhat higher average level. The transaxle premature failure numbers declined accordingly.

What we got, owners of '01 to '03, was ATF that was so overheated that the recommended maintainance schedule for an ATF drain/flush/refill went from infinity (life of the vehicle) to ~15,000 miles or signs of ATF degradation, whichever cam first.

The RX330 came with DBW and its own set of problems as a result. 1-2 second re-acceleration delay/hesitation soon became the NORM throughout the Toyota/Lexus/Scion fleet.
    edited June 2010
    "..there is definitely a fix..."

No, there is only a PARTIAL fix. Only some instances of the 1-2 second re-acceleration downshift delay might be eliminated, mostly those wherein the driver "knows' the future, immediate future.

See post # 510 for a definitive explanation.
    What you are most likely experiencing is the "new" coastdown engine "fuel-cut" procedure/technique now in more widespread use to improve FE. Basically the engine will be COMPLETELY starved of fuel during coastdown as long as the transmission can be downshifted enough to keep the engine from stalling. Obviously this technique must be discontinued before, substantially before, you come to a full stop. The "lurch" forward, feeling of being bumped from behind, is the result of the "upshift/surge" once the technique is discontinued. The downshift into first gear will then not occur until you have come to a full and complete stop.

In my '01 RX300 the transmission makes a final UPSHIFT (lockup clutch release..??) as the road speed declines to about 10 MPH.
    I'm not a mechanic and obviously not aware of all these computer driven techniques of operating a automobile (perhaps the wrong term anymore). With all the problems I and others have experienced one has to ask is this technology really buying us anything? Like all things computer driven they are not reliable and very expensive. The reason for all this??? Better gas mileage? Are we really getting it?
    edited June 2010
    SOP ?????

Find one other vehicle on the planet that exhibits this same condition. One of them was an 07 sienna. Yeah and that conditon was fixed (right out of the toyota techs mouth.
    You don't sound (read) like a nice person???.
    edited June 2010
    The factory shop/repair manuals at techinfo.toyota.com indicate that a shift from neutral to reverse or drive will take 1-2 seconds. Toyota began using real time control of ATF line pressure back in about '98. With this capability why would the manufacturer not improve FE and reduce ATF heating by dropping the ATF line pressure to zero with the shifter in park or neutral..??