Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Transmission Problems

167891012»

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited June 2010
    The TSB "fix" for the Sienna involves a 1-2 second re-acceleration downshift delay/hesitation, not the now "standard" delay shifting into drive.

See posts # 510 and 551.
  • ianc435ianc435 Member Posts: 10
    So let me get this cleared up.

When I shift my truck to drive and the vehicle starts moving forward (in gear) The pedal partialy responds and then when line pressures are satified the computer will reference pedal postion no matter where it is. and apply engine response thus leading to an unitended and undesired accelaration to anyone that it not aware of the problem. That (my opinion) is dangerous. I nearly drove up the backside of a car the first week I had the truck. What puzzles me is the 09 08, 07 do not exhibit this "characteristic". This could be easily overcome by anticipating transmission function by ways of the brake pedal.

I also came across a thread about undersized torque converters for thes trucks??? any thoughts.

Thanks
  • bikerchic49bikerchic49 Member Posts: 1
    This is what my truck is doing... when you come to a stop and remove your foot off the brake to continue, it lurches forward, all the other shifting is fine. My truck only has 67K miles.

The reason I'm here and asking, is that I've taken it to three different mechanics with 3 different answers...see below.

I was told I have 1) bad motor mounts
    2) I needed a 4WD service... even though it's a 2WD?
    3) that my fluids may be low, which I checked, all are within range

Has any one else had this issue or suggestions?
  • befuddled2befuddled2 Member Posts: 111
    You say you checked all your fluids. How did you check your transmission level?
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    My '09 Tacoma radio is having problems also. This is intermittent: Start up my truck, the radio comes and and ejects all the CDs, no display or a bunch of odd displays. After a few minutes of pushing on/off button, the radio works fine for a few days. this has happened three times now. the next time it happens I'll stop by dealer to see what they say. My truck has 30k miles on it now, I hope to keep it for 8 years, so glad I purchased extended war. No trans. problems yet, still getting 20-22 mpg. dbl-cab, 2x4. w/TSB shock upgrade.
    Hill Assist..?

Easy to inadvertently "arm".

The way I read it if you press slightly harder on the brake pedal AFTER coming to a full stop the Hill-Assist is armed. Arming the Hill Assist results in all four brakes being lightly applied in order to prevent the vehicle from rolling on an incline. Once you subsequently apply, re-apply, pressure to the gas pedal the brakes are released and shortly thereafter the engine will respond to the gas pedal.
    happens when i shift from park or neutral to drive.
    My radio had faulty display this morning, (4th time in several months), but other wise working OK. I didn't touch it and drove straight to dealer. Showed them the display, the rep. said he would order a new radio. I turned the truck off and radio went back to normal. Glad I didn't touch a button,,,,,,
    Got new radio installed and front floor mats today. Took 50 minutes. They said it would take 45 minutes, I'll give them the slack:)
  • gypratgyprat Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    Bought a new 2010 Tacoma, manual transmission, 4 cyl.
    Transmission is very hard to shift. 1st gear can only be engaged if truck comes to complete stop. It takes a lot of pressure to get it into first, it almost feels like breaking a chicken bone. I do press clutch all the way in and had driven many cars with manual trannys with no issues. It's hard to drive this truck in a stop and go trafic where the speeds are too slow to engage the 2nd gear and the 1st gear can not be engaged. I have to shift into second and burn the clutch to accelerate the truck to above 15 MPH.
    Shift pattern from first to second is very notchy, sometimes with a loud clunk. 2nd to 3rd is better but sometime I hear a clunk too.
    Reverse is another problem. Shifting into reverse is very hard. One morning I could not get it into reverse at all. I had to move the truck forward slightly and then use a lot of force to shift into reverse. I wonder if braking the shift lever is covered under Toyota warranty?
    Does anyone have similar problems? The dealer said everything is normal (like everything else with Toyota vehicles warranty claims. It sure seems like it).

I'm very dissappointed with the quality. Especially with the fact that rear differential had hardly any oil in it since new. I described this problem in a defferent post under the OIL thread.
  • nasincalinasincali Member Posts: 15
    I think toyota is going down . Their quality and problems just wont stop. We should have never bought a toyota tacoma or any toyota and dont think we ever will again , and dont think anyone should . They are risking peoples lives with their product and dont even care. We bought a 2010 tacoma. Its been in the shop twice and its going back again with under 450 miles . The first time they said they didn't find anything and sent us on our way like we were crazy. The second time we brought it back they kept it for 5 days and couldn't find the problem so they replaced everything to the # 6 cylinder. I think its still doing it. Its a safety issue. When its starts mifireing it wont even excelerate. It happens on the freeway also. Plus what damages are happening inside the engine. They just want us to be the test pilots of there product. dont even want to drive it or take my family in it . Its unsafe.
    They kept the gas pedal thing under wraps till a family died .Kept saying its the floor mats. Toyota needs to get it together . I would buy a frontier or titan if I could do it again.
  • tacomashanetacomashane Member Posts: 27
    I agree that the quality is not there any more. My 2009 Tacoma had to have a "fix" downloaded to the computer to address the auto transmission that constantly slipped, which did fix the problem. However, the transmission is still not smooth like it should be for a new truck. The engine is noisy and rattles, and very noticeable when sitting at a bank drive through. I have noticed blue smoke come out of the exhaust a few times over the last month when I first start the truck in the morning, and I only have 32k miles on it. The radio has freaked out on me a few times. The air conditioning fan has made noise a few times, as if it was losing power. My dash board lights dim when I turn on my headlights. The body is soft and dents very easily. Not too worried about all of these items, except the blue smoke which I will have checked out on my next service.
    I too agree with this statement. I wish I could say that other manufacturers were better but over the years I've learned otherwise. It's a shame. The articles we read that rate the vehicles and tell us of the best ones lose credibility as well; as we can't trust what they say. So guess what? We are still guinea pigs and we pays our money and takes our chances. Nothing has changed. It's just life.
  • ryoung08ryoung08 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am brand new to this message board stuff, so please bear with me. I have an 08 Tacoma which I believe has an issue with not shifting back into overdrive from 3rd (Drive). When I go up a steep hill, the truck automatically shifts into a lower gear, even without me touching the shifter. However, when I crest the top of the hill and either go down hill or go on a flat road, the transmission does not go back into overdrive. I can even try lifting my foot up and down on the gas, but it stays in the lower gear. The only way for me to get it into OD, is to move the shifter over to 3rd and back over to overdrive. Does anyone have a clue? Is it me? Thanks!
    edited August 2010
    Yaw sensor senses whether traveling up hill down hill and around corners. Could be a learned attribute of the computer. Is this a new symptom or has it always done it. Shifting to a lower gear going down hill might be part of the engine braking. Hoped that helped

Make sure the brake pedal is not engaged at all. Pull up on it with your foot will driving and see if the tranny does anything.
  • ryoung08ryoung08 Member Posts: 2
    Up until 4 months ago I really never drove my Tacoma very far, just around town, but now that I am driving long distances and over some steep hills I am noticing the issue. I can't say if this issue has been here since I bought the truck or if it only showed up in the past 4 months.
    It does not shift into drive (3rd) on its own except when going up hill. I just don't understand why it won't go back into OD after I crest the hill on to a flat surface or going down hill.
    I will try the brake pedal tomorrow when I am on the road. Thanks!
  • 123hunter123hunter Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2002 tacoma dbl cab, have not had any problems with it until now. Sometimes when I am driving down the road, or backing up, the engine revs up as if I am in neutral. The truck is still in gear and moving. It has happened 3 times now. I don't feel it shift out of gear or anything it will all of a sudden lose power and the motor revs up. Tranny problems??? I have an automatic and the engine is the 3.4 V6
    Thanks
  • jdavis1816jdavis1816 Member Posts: 1
    Please send me a copy of the TSB0703-09. My '09 Prerunner is experiancing the hunting after decelerating.

Thank You!
    [email protected]
  • bhcaplebhcaple Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an '07 Tacoma 4-dr. Pre-Runner 6 mos. ago from CarMax in Arlington, TX that does the same thing. I had 30 days to report any problems and get them fixed for free. Their tech gave me the same response everyone else has gotten from Toyota: "That's just how it's designed." He said the same thing about the automatic 'downshift' around 30 mph. The first time I experienced it, I thought I'd been rear-ended. Fortunately, I'm not experiencing the delay in acceleration like the guys driving the '09.

Reading through the posts, it doesn't sound like there is a solution. However, I have discovered that if I drop the gearshift lever into neutral as I approach a stop, it doesn't do the 'clunk and jerk.' I usually shift back into drive after I've been sitting still for a few seconds.

My first 4 cars were Toyotas: '74 Corolla, '85 Celica coupe, '79 Supra, and '85 Celica GT-S. Those were some sweet rides - the body went bad before the drivetrain wore out. I spent the next 18 years with Ford products - not a lemon in the bunch.

This is my first experience with the new Toyota, and I'm greatly disappointed. I can't believe Toyota would design an automatic transmission that has to be shifted manually to maintain a smooth ride.

For an extra $400 I could have gotten a brand new Ford Ranger loaded. I opted for the Tacoma with 44,000 miles. Wish I'd bought the Ranger.
    edited December 2010
    These "problems", symptoms, are now industry wide.

Most manufacturers have now adopted the new coastdown fuel cut technique, the "abolition" of the ATF line pressure accumulator, and the "dithering", continuous up/down shifting, to use the most optimal gear ratio for conditions, all to conserve fuel.

Our only "escape" is the stick shift.
    Are you sure that what you're experiencing is not the new "hill start/hill hold" feature..?

Since the torque converters are not so robust as yesteryear the vehicle will often creep on an incline. To prevent this many manufacturers are including the hill-start feature, automaticlaly apply the brakes until pressure is applied to the gas pedal. In the meantime DBW is used to delay the onset of engine rising RPM until the brakes are released fully.
  • curbocyclescurbocycles Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 tacoma pre runner with the same issues. It doesnt want to shift into top gear, especially when cold. It isn't as bad when its warmed up. I bought the truck with 15K miles and it now has 60k and i think the problem may be a little worse now, but its always been this way. I will shift down to 4th and then into Drive to get it to shift.

Let me know if anyone figures out whats wrong and how to fix it!
    SOP.

The engine/transmission ECU control firmware is designed to not allow top gear, OD, use until the transmission fluid and the catalyst have had time to heat up to operational temperature.
  • mlachapellemlachapelle Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2005 Toyota Tacoma in 2008 with 15k and the transmission needed to be replaced at 22k because synchros went in third gear, which was covered under warranty. After 23k more miles with the new transmission there is the same issue again. I had the dealership that installed the transmission run a road test and they found that there was grinding between 2nd and 3rd gears and that the transmission needs to be replaced AGAIN. The warranty on the transmission has run out and the dealership is not willing to replace it under warranty. I called the Toyota customer experience hot line and filed a claim. I spoke to a representative and my claim was denied because the transmission is not under warranty. I should not have to replace the transmission after every 23000 miles and would like Toyota to stand by their product and help in some way, since the issue I am having seems to be a factory/installation issue.
    edited February 2011
    If your Tacoma is 4WD then Toyota has no reason to trust that it has not been run with 4WD engaged, inadvertently even, in non-slippery conditions.
  • mlachapellemlachapelle Member Posts: 2
    Yes my truck is 4wd, but the issue has nothing to do with 4wd, but thanks for your thought!
    Why do you think/say that..?

If your truck was run in 4WD on a non-slippery roadbed for as little as 30 miles, inadvertently or not, many of the driveline components, transfer case and transmission, gears, gearing would have been subject to an extraordinary level of overheating.
  • graydonfgraydonf Member Posts: 1
    I recently got an '04 Toyota Tacoma that was said to have hauled a camper beyond the recommended weight and whenever I stop it feels like there is slack in the chain thoughts?
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Just made a deal on a new Tacoma 4 cyl. manual after lots of research. Hope the problems you have experienced don't occur. I have driven manual transmission vehicles all my life, to include a few real sports cars. I have never shifted a moving vehicle into first gear and very, very seldom into second.
    As for competitors - there aren't any. Frontier is closest, but costs more and not as well equipped and generally lower rated.
    Have a '97 Ranger and after 50,000 miles, it's been one $300-500 problem after another and three tows to the garage. In fact for last 5 years, we haven't driven it more than 1,000 per mile due to fear it would break down.
  • 09taco09taco Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2009 Toyota Tacoma, TRD 4x4 Double cab V-6 Auto. I've been checking my gas mileage and notice I'm only getting around 12 MPG. This is a stock truck, no mods. with only about 25,000 miles on it. I do mostly city driving. before I would get around 15-16 in town. and around 20 on the hywy. Anything I can do or change.?... Can the dealer check anything, when I don't have a check engine light on.>
  • rthrasher12rthrasher12 Member Posts: 1
    My friend has a 2008 Toyota Tacoma with automatic transmission.. We just changed his oil put 6 quarts in and a new oil filter that I did lube the thread and everything that your supposed to do with it. After we changed we give it gas with no response of the gears just the truck revving up itself then it would all of a sudden kick into gear. He did say the other night he had it in 2nd and was on a dirt road messing around. But the question is would that oil change have anything to do with why the trucks transmission is messing up all of a sudden? It wasn't having this problem before the oil change.
  • melissaoctmelissaoct Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 Automatic, not a 4x4. At around 3,000 miles the trans started shifting from 1st to 2nd extremely hard. The dealership could not find the problem so they ordered me a brand new trans and dropped it in. It was perfect for about another 3 to 4,000 miles and it is doing the same thing all over again. My question is, why does it keep doing this? The only change I made with the truck since I bought it was a 3 inch lift and mud terrain tires, which was recommended for this truck. I do not pull a trailer or haul anything heavy.
  • rawman2rawman2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm still dealing with my Tacoma with similar synchro issues. I bought my 09 new in 2009, its a 4x4, trd off road, v6 sr5, 6 speed. At 4500 miles the transmission locked up, synchros were found worn and made the transmission stick in 4th. Transmission was replaced under warranty. At 30k there was grinding from 2nd to 3rd, synchros replaced and transmission rebuilt under warranty. 34500 the clutch blows up, Toyota tried to make me pay for the clutch until I found the clutch TSB online while looking for performance clutches. At 60000 there was grinding between 3rd and 4th gear. Again the synchros were found to be shot, and transmission rebuilt under my extended warranty. Now at 78000 the tranmission is doing the squeaky throwout bearing thing as well as lurching back and forth sometimes while starting out on a slight hill after parked for an hour or so. They are apparently in the process of checking with Toyota to see if they'll cover it under warranty as the throwout bearing is not a covered part under my extended warranty. I'm not sure if the throwout bearing would cause the lurching, probably another issue with the transmission. After this repair I'm throwing in the towel and going lemon law on their asses!
    Sorry I can't offer any advice but I sure do sympathize with you. Extended warranty and all these issue's? May the good lord be with you.
    The only "duty" the synchos serve is during shifting....

Were I the dealer I would begin to question your proper use of the clutch...

Are you sure you know when to NOT have the front drive engaged...?

Sorry if this is too "in your face" but the useful lifetime of stick shift transmissions is very much the result of driver use...or abuse...

Plus your post jumps out at me as being ONE of ONE.
  • melissaoctmelissaoct Member Posts: 2
    Hey: Thanks for responding. It is a automatic not manual. So I assume the trans knows when to shift. The problem seems to come and go. I just put it in drive and drive. So I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, I just step on the break or gas. You said my post jumps out at you as being One of One, I'm sorry I don't know what that means, you have never heard of a trans that jerks when it shifts on its own? I am just looking for someone who may have knowledge with transmissions. I thought maybe when I changed my tires out to Mud Terrain that maybe the computer needed to be reset or something. I am a girl so I don't know much about the inside of an engine. Thanks for your time and any helpful advice. It hasn't done it in a few months. I just don't want to have trans problems when my warranty is up, who would.
  • vangoughvangough Member Posts: 1
    My truck is doing the same thing and it also revs really high going up and down hills; it's particularly bad going downhill. I've been into the dealership 3 times for this issue and Toyota keeps telling me that they cannot find anything. They tell me that they can't even get it to do the high revving. Well this morning on my way to work while going downhill on a major freeway I pushed on my brakes and the gas pedal went down and the RPMs went way up. My truck doesn't shift down when it should either and often it will shift gears hard. :confuse:
  • amerieagle40amerieagle40 Member Posts: 1
    just changed my oil 2008 tacoma for the first time today the trannsmission done the same as yr friend what did you do
  • junkyarddog4junkyarddog4 Member Posts: 1
    Working histories and lessons learned ? would you listen or read and believe ? Ive lived next to a junkyard my whole life. Both co-owners lived out their lives after military mechanical carreers and 40 plus years private biz.. long and short one nieghbors son was doing the Vo tech thing and took grandpa's impala wagon out of the garage and took it to class to do the transmission flush service filter crap class.....You guessed it.. it slipped same day and was declared dead dead dead....junkyard being next door the routine was followed twice in succession ....same result only one around the block the third was in the shop class ...... two more dead , lol trans..... On TRYING TO GET A THIRD USED TRANS from the yard the owners had realized each had allready swapped once each for the "nieghbor" Now these men, with over 110 years of experience IMMIEDIALTLY put one and one together, looked at the kid with the transmission and GUESSED the problem first time.....Votech high school ! they explained to the dad of the school kid the trans out of used vehicles have the Life Blood and body of the cluch disks floating in the used fluid. Once this blood is exchanged out for Fresh New Fluid they slip most everytime. Course of Order with THIRD and FINAL exchanged trans was to drain pan. place new filter, pour back in original fuid. The old junkers knew their stuff, the old wagon still runs fine on that junker tranny and the old fluid ! The kid even took the wagon to the prom years after instead of his custom reman camaro SS with a lesson learned from the OLD PROS. As an Aside when the kid built his 327 with ten to One ratio pistons he followed the old builders advice to pull the car down a mile in high gear turning the fresh built engine with the fuel pump disconnected . Once she fired all gassed and running the order of the day was 7 miles out and seven back as fast as she could go..... the old guys built and warrented out of their wallets and to this day that engine was :BROKE IN ... just like they made their living....Full speed to the Limit....
  • nouzridnouzrid Member Posts: 1
    My wifes 2004 Tacoma had the same problem. The Kick Down (Detent) cable broke. We were referred to a local transmission shop and he found the problem as soon as I raised the hood. The cost for replacing the cable was $305.00 tax included. :)
  • queen6413queen6413 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 tacoma v6 4 door with the exact problem been to the dealer 5 times they say they can't find anything
  • lazyfarmerlazyfarmer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 tacoma...had the problem where it would be hard to go into reverse. Then it stopped going in for good...the dealer would look at it when they had an opening two weeks later. Something has to be very poorly made in the transmission for this to happen. I have a 97 tacoma with 475k on it. Have never had trans or clutch trouble with it. This truck the clutch feels like it's wearing out and now I notice the oil from the clutch hydraulic cylinder is leaking in the cab.
  • indyemmettindyemmett Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Check your transmission and then the oil dip stick. I bet many of these poster accidentally drained the transmission fluid instead of the oil. $20 says the transmission fluid is low and the oil level is 2xs the required amount.

Under the Tacoma it's easy to get the oil and transmission fluid pans confused.

This would explain the whining noises and the funky shifting.
  • valmont_shawnavalmont_shawna Member Posts: 1
    My '98 Toyota Tacoma SR5 (4-cyl, auto, column shift) has been having transmission problems now for a while. It started as driving in all low gears (1-3 only) and would down-shift the moment it could without red-lining. I added some transmission treatment fluid to it and it settled out some and started opposite problem, riding in all high gears. It would not use the lower gears hardly at all, and third stopped in general, shifting down to 2nd if turned off OD and never down-shifting from 4th even if floored accelerator, and reverse started giving me problems too around the same time. If I shifted it to Reverse, the truck would shake and rattle apart almost before it would catch and start backing up. Now it has stopped working in 4th gear, driving in 3rd constantly, and Reverse has ceased to work at all. Anyone have any ideas what may need to be done to fix the problem?
  • saklaussaklaus Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Tacoma 4x4 Auto trans.186,000 miles. Bucks and stutters slightly when decelerating at any speed, and even slowing only 1 or 2 mph. Also slight clunking when making a somewhat quick stop. Transmission? I changed motor mounts, tranny mounts and u-joints. Fluid level is up. Just an annoyance or perhaps something serious?