Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Keyless Remote

dgrimdgrim Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Honda
I just purchased a '98 Accord LX 4cyl/4Door, and it came with a Keyless Remote with 4 buttons, one of which is marked "Option" - what does the "Option" button do?

According to the owners manual the button in that position pops the trunk lid, but this button does nothing by itself afaik.

I've tried holding it for several seconds to see if it might toggle the audible/inaudible operation when locking/unlocking but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    IIRC, the LX didn't come with keyless remote from the factory. I wonder if it was a dealer accessory.

My 98 EX had 3 main buttons. Unlock, lock, and trunk. There was a small red panic button as well.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The "option" button was on our 1998 Civic EX Coupe. Pushing and holding it (until the LED lit up) changed whether or not the horn beeped when locking/unlocking. Yours is definitely aftermarket (as Keyless wasn't standard on LX Accords until 2003), so I doubt if the option button does anything. You might ask your dealer next time you are there if they know.
  • dgrimdgrim Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response(s)!

There is no LED on the remote, and pressing & holding the "option" button seemingly does nothing.

The remote has 3 buttons plus a small red "panic" button. Also has Honda markings stamped in the plastic and stickers on the back indicating an AHM part, so I don't think it's aftermarket, maybe the dealer knows - I'll check next time I'm in for service. In the mean time, the alarm and lock/unlock functions work perfectly.
  • bjhutchinsonbjhutchinson Member Posts: 1
    Before I take it to the shop, I would like to see if there has been more situations.

I have the keyless entry key and after only driving for a short period of time (15 mins) and when I pull the key out of the ignition - the metal portion of the key is extremely hot to touch..

Does anyone have any ideas? I would greatly appreciate it..
    I find that is the case with both my Accords (1996 and 2006)...often less than 3 miles down the road I park and find my key hot, almost too hot, too the touch. It is summer though... Beats me!
  • medicmelmedicmel Member Posts: 8
    I am the second owner of a 2003 Honda Accored EX V6 with Nav. Recently I discovered that I am unable to lock the interior doors with the lock/unlock switch on the drivers armrest console. It will unlock the doors but wont lock them. Also the remote key wont set the alarm system or lock the doors. The remote will unlock the doors and the trunk will pop but I am unable to protect the car from theft since I can not lock the doors.

I called the Honda shop I frequent and explained the problem to the service advisor and he said check all 4 doors. I almost said "hey genius I did that before I called you." I have an appointment on Thursday. I wonder how much this is going to cost. :confuse:
    Hmm. This is a long shot, but I have to ask (i'm not trying to be insulting, just covering ALL bases). Are you trying to lock the door with the button on the driver door while the key is in the car (I know, dumb question, but I have to ask) because it won't allow you to lock them if the key is in the ignition. Can you lock the doors manually? (you should be able to).
    ZIP, Zilch, Nada! I have always locked the doors with the button on the door after car was started and running. Plus the only door that will lock with the key on the outside is the driver's door. :confuse:
    Well, to lock your car in a parking lot, you can do that manually, right (reaching to all 4 doors until you get the problem fixed)?
    Can't do that either. Nothing happens when you turn the key to the right. I can hear what sounds like the actuator attempting to do something but nothing happens. If I turn the key twice to the right the windows come down. :confuse:
    I.'m talking about pressing down on the lock tabs on the interior of the doors.

The windows coming down is supposed to happen. You should also be able to do this by pressing the unlock button twice on the remote, and holding it the second time.
  • haleemondryhaleemondry Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same excat problem in my 2003 Honda Accord Ex. The locks weren't working one time and so we thought a door wasn't shut all the way. We slammed all the doors and the locks worked again. Then, a few days later they didn't work again and then a few days later started working again, and now they don't work and I don't think it's coming back. It's so weird though because the locks unlock, but just don't lock. I can lock them all by hand and then I'm able to set the alarm, but it's so annoying to accidentally unlock all the locks and then have to lock them all by hand. Let me know what you find out on this. I was told the same thing, that it's time consuming because you have to figure out which door it is and maybe replace the actuator. I'm so frustrated. I have had more problems in this car!
    Hello,

They ended up replacing some control module which was time consuming due to the fact they sent the wrong part the first time. The repair was 330.00 dollars but I was smart enough to purchase an extended warranty and my deductible is 100.00. I can honestly say the quality of this vehicle is nowhere near the quality of the 94 Accord I previously owned.
  • cocolo2kcocolo2k Member Posts: 18
    Any reason why I cannot lock/unlock car with the key fob if i have the valet ket inside? my old 97 accord allowed me to do this?

btw
    How much does it cost to replace the valet key?
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Any reason why I cannot lock/unlock car with the key fob if i have the valet ket inside?

By "inside", I'm assuming you mean with the key in the ignition. The remote won't work with ANY key in the ignition.... regular or valet.
  • happybunnyhappybunny Member Posts: 2
    HI,

Found the FCC ID should be: KOBUTAH2T
    Honda wants $110 to replace. I found a place online
    keylessremotesonline.com that has it for $38 and I program it myself.

Anyone heard of that website or can direct me to another company to
    buy my OEM New replacement remote for cheap?

Thanks,

Jackie

00 accord ex v6 black
  • hondamelonhondamelon Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,
    Just found this site. It's very informative. I have 2005 Honda Accord with only 55,000 kms on it. I have replaced battery & starter already. Now, I'm having a problem with the keyless remote and the power door windows doesn't work. But the sun roof powers up. The funny thing is that the power door locks do not work on the driver's side but can lock & unlock on the passenger side.
    I'm just wondering if anyone of you experienced car fanatics have had this problem or heard of this.
    Please any advise or solution will be greatly appreciated.
    I am so sick of making appointments to bring my Honda in the dealership.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    You are more apt to find a response to a maintenance question in this forum:

http://tinyurl.com/2t8zun
  • hondamelonhondamelon Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Blane! For directing me to the correct site.
  • tiff27tiff27 Member Posts: 3
    I also have a 2003 Honda Accord EX and I am having the same problems with my door locks. The unlock works but the lock doesn't work and it went out gradually I didn't know what the problem was. Is anyone also having problems with their driver's side window? When I use the automatic up, it goes up but it comes back down?
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    This is the proceedure for resetting the power windows (7th gen). You can totally reset the windows, or only the auto up/down (starting at step 11).

Thank you soo much I will try this.
  • powerbarsk8powerbarsk8 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, Elroy5:
    I tried to print out your step-by-step to reset the power window, but it looked fuzz and small, could you give a hint as to how to read it clearly? Thanks

John
    Haha, that's funny. I think this is a problem you and your printer need to work on. ;) My printer and I don't always communicate well with each other either. I will try to find it again, and see if I can make it larger/clearer.
    I will try and re-scan the page tomorrow, and make it larger. All I got was fuzzy when I tried to zoom it like it is.
    I hope this works. :blush:
    Thank you soo much that looks good.
This discussion has been closed.