Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Maintenance Policy and Service Experiences

gottogogottogo Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Hyundai
I'm hoping someone can help clarify. I was planning on buying a new Sonota and I got a pretty good quote from a dealer that is about an hour from where I live. I then talked to the local dealer...who told me his dealership would only service cars that were bought at his dealership -- so if I bought the car elsewhere they wouldn't service it. This gave me a bad feeling and I am now considering going with the Camry. Has anyone else heard of such a thing? And does anyone have an 800 phone number for Hyundai so I can verify if this is company policy? Thanks for any info or response

Comments

• bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I suggest you check with the dealerships service department. Service department income is quite important to any dealership. I think the salesman is giving you a line of BS as added high pressure sales tactic.
  • mossman11mossman11 Member Posts: 10
    Refusing to service a car from another dealer would be illegal, but from my experience any dealer making a statement like this should be avoided. Keep in mind that in case of an emergency, a service manager would give preference to his own customers first.
  • bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    The salesman IS BS'ing you. I actually talked to one of the salesman at our local Hyundai dealership. He told me that Hyundai does NOT have any such policy and that it is illegal for their dealerships to have this policy either.

I've run into this attitude before at GM dealerships. It is just a sales tactic.

The big money at any dealership is in Service Work. It would be foolish for any service department to turn away business, even it the car was bought elsewhere. That's not to say that a Service Manager can't Prioritize service work based on whether or not you bought the car there or not, but they shouldn't refuse to service your car because it was bought somewhere else. Years ago, I did deal with a Service Manager at a Dodge dealership that would give first priority/preference to cars bought from his dealership, but he didn't refuse to work on other cars.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Illegal? I think businesses generally can refuse service for any reason except the specific reasons that are protected by law (like race, for example). But if this were to happen, I would hope that Hyundai corporate would find it "illegal" in their eyes and smack 'em good.

Gottogo, if you want to, you should be able to talk to a service advisor at the dealership (withOUT the salesman) and check it out. Sometimes one slimey salesperson does not represent the overall attitude of the dealership (and sometimes it does!).
  • gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    "Illegal? I think businesses generally can refuse service for any reason except the specific reasons that are protected by law (like race, for example)."

You may be technically correct, but refusing to honor a warranty without a valid reason would not sit well with the State Attorney Generals in most states. The warranty is through Hyundai and the dealers represent the manufacturer. For a dealer to refuse service just because you didn't buy the car from them could be considered failure to honor a valid warranty claim which may in deed be illegal in some states.

If a dealer tried to pull that stunt on me, I'd have complaints filed with the manufacturer, BBB, and the State Attorney Generals office so fast it would make their head swim. Dealers don't want that kind of attention focused on them.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Hyundai Customer assistance 1-800-633-5151
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I think the dealer is giving you a line of B.S. We bought hyundai's from one dealer and had them serviced at another with no problems. They told me they have to honor warranty work no matter where you bought the car. They are trying to get your business and hopefully you will buy a car from them. They also make alot of money from service.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "I think businesses generally can refuse service for any reason except the specific reasons that are protected by law (like race, for example)."

I agree that no automaker or dealership can legally bypass civil-rights legislation, but this issue is universal since there're existing FTC provisions that come into play, pat. Under the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Act, no company franchised to sell product and perform authorized warranty work in the United States can discriminate on the basis of where the product was purchased. Such an exclusion policy would be interpreted as a prohibited "tie-in" provision under that legislation. Hyundai recognizes and alerts its owners accordingly in the warranty supplement booklet included in the fold-over vinyl document pouch:

"Deliver the vehicle during regular business service hours to any [emphasis mine] authorized Hyundai dealer to obtain warranty service."

Honda's similar statement in its warranty supplement booklet is:

"You should take your vehicle, along with proof of purchase, date, to a Honda automobile dealer during his normal service hours."

There's nothing about being excluded from any authorized dealership or being forced to return to the selling dealership for a warranty claim in either case. I suspect all other automakers doing business in the 50 states covered under Magnuson-Moss have similar provisions.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm in no way saying that any Hyundai dealer is justified, nor should it get away with refusing warranty service. (Did you folks read all of my post?)

I made a comment that it's not likely that refusing warranty service is illegal. Then I went on to say that I would hope that Hyundai corporate would go after any dealership that did so. I think that's what should happen and I think that's the remedy.

I will freely admit I am not exactly familiar with the intimate details of the Magnuson-Moss Act, ray_h1. But I find it hard to believe that a business is legally restrained from refusing service of any sort for the sole reason that the product was not purchased there.

Of course I could be wrong - it would be far from the first time! ;)
    is a toll-free call to the nearest FTC field office. ;)
  • coachk1coachk1 Member Posts: 8
    The Sonata comes with a 5 yr warranty that, according to the salesman, covers almost everything except tires, brakes, & normal wear & tear. Anyone have issues getting repairs under the warranty?
  • oinktrntoinktrnt Member Posts: 22
    I don’t think anyone posted this URL:
    Contact Us
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Hyundai's warranty is a manufacturer's warranty and is valid at any authorized Hyundai dealer - as per Owner's Manual.
  • reader0518reader0518 Member Posts: 6
    I am considering a sonata and that's why the question. I think to some extend hyundai's rather generous warranties have influenced buyers' decisions. but do the dealers actually walk the walk?

also want to confirm that any hyundai dealer has the obligation to honor warranty requests.

thanks.
    )) "also want to confirm that any hyundai dealer has the obligation to honor warranty requests." ((

Any dealership in the U.S. or Canada is obligated to perform warranty service without charge under the terms of the Hyundai vehicle warranty as spelled out in the warranty suplement booklet packed with the owner's manual and other literature in the glove compartment at delivery regardless who the selling dealer was. (Translation: you're not joined at the hip to your selling dealership for warranty claim service.) Americans and Canadians traveling or residing in the other's country also enjoy the same rights while out of their home countries. The dealerships do have the right (and obligation) to verify that there's a warrantable defect before proceeding with a repair and subsequently submitting a payment claim for materials and labor charges to Hyundai, though.
  • ultcarultcar Member Posts: 24
    A friend of mine purchased an Elantra from Canada, and while on a trip here in the US, had his transmission failed. The whole thing was taken care of by Hyundai warranty here in the US. The car was towed by Hyundai, and they replaced the transmission as well.

I think Hyundai's pretty good with warranties in general. I once had a "lemon" flavored XG350. Over the two years of ownership, I had to replace both fog lights and both low-beam headlamps. They also had to work on the wiring because my radar detector (which I used before on my other cars, and which I still use on my new Sonata) happened to burn out the fuse several times. Each (one-at-a-time) occurrence was spreaded out over a period of time such that I could not file the car as lemon. But with each replacement and service, I didn't have to pay a single cent. (glad I got rid of that XG, btw)
  • eric39eric39 Member Posts: 15
    Hi

Probably a dumb question but last night I blew a tire on the hiway. My 06 has 7,770 miles on it and I have Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires. Is there any kind of warranty or do I have to eat the cost of the new tire. Can I only buy 1 new tire or do I have to buy 2 for consistency? I have a nice tare/hole in the sidewall.

Thanks

Eric
    Somewhere buried in your owner's manual portfolio there's a Michelin tire warranty foldout that details the terms of the tire warranty. You may be entitled to road hazard consideration to ease the "pain" of replacing a tire. Additionally, either a Hyundai dealership or a franchised Michelin dealer should be able to clarify the issue for you, too.
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    Tires do not come with road hazzard. I think you'll be buying a new tire if there is a tare or hole. A tire dealer is the best person to ask as to whether you can get away with buying a single tire. With only 7700 miles, I think that would be my choice unless you are very hard on your tires and they have excessive wear.
  • dano13dano13 Member Posts: 15
    If you bought the extended warrenty they will replace it for free it also covers the wheel and other items worth $4.00 a month i used it with only 600 miles on my car tire could not be repaired so hyundia dealer put on a new one and there like $145.00 each.
    Exactly...IF you bought an extended warranty.........
  • orevergreenorevergreen Member Posts: 1
    We are the original owners of a 2000 Sonata. We've complied with all required maintenance to maintain the warranty, but it the last "scheduled maintenance" at 50,000 miles cost $1568 at the dealer. My question is whether I have to have this scheduled maintenance done at the dealer or can I go to a trusted mechanic (who may charge less)? How can I find out what Hyundai requires be done for the 75,000 mile checkup?
    By-the-way, the transmission failed at 69,906 miles and was replaced by Hyundai, but we had to pay $1085 for a "transmission control module, Bank 1 sensor, 1 oxygen sensor" and labor to install them. The dealer said these weren't covered by the drive train warranty. We've also had to replace the headlights regularly.
    I realize it costs money to maintain any car (especially a modern, computerized one), and I'm glad the warranty covered the transmission, but I drove a little Dodge import for 13 years without paying out this kind of money. We were thinking of buying another Sonata when this hits 100,000 miles, but now we're not so sure. Anyway, if any of you know the answer to my question about the 75,000 mile scheduled maintenance, I would appreciate your advice.
    Thanks!
    I think you really need delve into your vehicle document portfolio that was placed in the glove compartment at delivery and read both your owner's manual and warranty supplement booklets regarding what is and is not covered. Mine (2003 Sonata) states that certain not-covered items will be covered if they have to be replaced during the repair of a covered item/assembly - you may be entitled to some unreimbursed expenses during the trannie exchange. You might need to contact the Hyundai National Consumer Assistance Center for help in obtaining reimbursement from the servicing dealership after verifying with your warranty supplement booklet that you were improperly charged. As to the "75,000 mile" scheduled maintenance, look in your Owner's Manual. That's the ONLY definitive source for what is actually required to maintain your warranty rights. I find it continually perplexing that people allow themselves to be hoodwinked by unscrupulous dealership sales tactics with the monthly coupon mailings of makework service "specials" that have no basis in reality with what automakers require. (Hint: my '03 Sonata's manual lists ONE required service at 75,000 miles - replacing the serpentine accessory belt that drives the P.S. pump, A/C compressor, and alternator on the V6 motor. Hate to tell ya' this, but the only thing close to a "50,000 mile" scheduled maintenance in my '03 Sonata owner's manual is an inspection of that same serpentine drive belt at 52,500 miles - you could've done that yourself just by lifitng the hood and checking for cracking or separations in the belt. Betcha your owner's manual is identical or very similar on these periodic services...) You nice folks got ripped to the tune of $1,568.00, but I'll bet the cashier who processed your credit card was real polite, huh? Finally, free warranty repair work always has to be performed by a franchised Hyundai dealership service department. But, periodic routine procedures that you pay to have done can be performed by either the dealership or any independent shop you choose. Just keep the dated receipts as proof that the work was done. You can even perform routine maintenance yourself if you wish and not jeopardize your warranty rights as long as you keep receipts for materials - oil, filters, spark plugs, etc. and write a brief summary of what you did and date it as evidence that the required work was done on a timely basis. These rights are guaranteed under Federal law in the U.S. - the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1965 and administered by the Federal Trade Commission if a dealership attempts to bully you into believing otherwise. Your new vehicle 5/60 basic and 10/100 powertrain warranties were issued by Hyundai, NOT your dealership. Hyundai Motor America, not any dealership mailing or person, is the final word on warranty issues if there's a conflict with what the dealership tells you. Always make 'em show you in your owner's manual that the service is required. If your selling dealership refuses or can't do that, walk away and drive to another dealership - your selling dealer is not your friend

(Now, gird up your loins, and go forth to do battle! ;))
  • myjeepsucks96myjeepsucks96 Member Posts: 2
    I bought mine used (2002 in late 05). It came with the remainder of the warranty up to 60,000 mi. At 58,000 mi, 6mos after I bought it, it had problems starting. My boyfriend took it into the dealer for me for an unrelated electrical issue- which they corrected at no charge- and they said the fuel filter needed to be replaced. I figured no problem, I've changed those before. Well, I go to buy a filter, and it is ONLY sold as a fuel pump/filter combo. To top it off, it is located INSIDE the fuel tank. The part is $150 + $400 labor. I see this is recommended or scheduled maintenance at 50k odd miles. I've never come across something so simple made so difficult.....anyone have a suggestion? Should this have been covered under warranty?
    Unfortunately, many manufacturers are placing their fuel pumps inside the tank to keep them running cool. It sounds like, based on what you stated, that the fuel filter is a part of the pump assembly. With Hyundai, and every other manufacturer not warranting normal maintenance items (and the fuel filter is a normal maintenance item), it sounds like you're about to spend $550.00 :cry:
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    AND not have to worry about the fuel pump going out.
  • fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    I would check the fuel pressure prior to changing out the fuel pump and filter. Unless you are having fuel delivery issues I would not be in a hurry to change out the fuel pump and filter. Since this item is not like an air filter which you have to look at to see if it needs changing, you can have your fuel pump tested from the fuel rail or computer diagnostic.

Yes, changing the filter is noted in the manual but due to stiff regulation of gas stations and refineries there is a slight chance of getting trash into your fuel system. Depending on where you live most stations have/are now required to have a special tanks in the ground that also uses filters in order to prevent spills and waste (contamination). And because gas is normally transported and delivered using a sealed delivery method there is a small chance of contamination (trash) getting into the gas.

This is only my opinion...
    )) "...they said the fuel filter needed to be replaced. I figured no problem, I've changed those before. Well, I go to buy a filter, and it is ONLY sold as a fuel pump/filter combo. To top it off, it is located INSIDE the fuel tank." ((

Filters (any type) are considered routine replacement items, so are not covered after the first year or 12,000 miles of operation. My owner's manual states that the fuel filter is to be replaced at 52,500 miles, so yours went a bit above and beyond the call of duty. According to the 2003 Sonata Shop Manual I own, 6 cylinder models have an in-tank, coarse strainer and a chassis-mounted fine debris filter mounted just forward of the fuel tank on the driver's side of the car. Look for a cylindrically shapped device roughly 3" in diameter and 3 1/2" - 4" (my best guess on the dimensions from looking at the diagram) in length with threaded fittings at either end. The shop manual is unclear whether this physical arrangement applies to our generation 4 cylinder Sonata models. If your car is a 4 cylinder model, the fine filter may, indeed, be mounted inside the tank.
  • sonataloversonatalover Member Posts: 10
    I was in the habit of changing my fuel filter every 30,000 miles on my '99 GL. At 30,000 miles I asked my local dealer service manager about replacing the fuel filter on my '03 LX. I was told that, because it is located in the fuel tank, is not designed to be changed unless there is a problem. It's nice to work with a dealer's service department that is honest and not looking to pad their pocketbook at my expense.
  • debbie257debbie257 Member Posts: 2
    I had trouble with my car and took it to a private mechanic. I called Hyundai Corp. and they said I could have taken my car to any dealership. So I think you're being jerked around and don't want to by from that dealership. You might want to report them to Hyundai Corp.
  • dave868dave868 Member Posts: 64
    This is my first experience with Hyundai. I bought a Sonata Limited V6 with nav a month ago. I have experinced some initial issues which I have detialed in another post. It's not so much that issues that bothers me. its the service experience that has concerned me.

I wanted to involve my salesperson, since it involved initial quality issues. It took 6 voicemails over the course of a week just to schedule an appointment. It seems that once I made the purchase, their involvement was over. Now that I have made the appointment, I have had to reschedule, since a loaner car would not be available.

I am hoping that this is not indicative of Hyundai service in general.

Does anyone else have any noteworthy experiences with their dealer? Either good or bad.
  • retsabretsab Member Posts: 10
    I purchased a new GLS 4cyl and had difficulties the first two days with shift lock release on the transmission. The car ended up at the dealership for 32 days, difficul diagnosis and time required in obtaining parts from S. Korea. Just received word that through BBB Lemon Law procedure that I would be supplied a replacement vehicle, which is to arrive in a few days, almost 4 months since I took ownership. Throughout the month of diagnosis and repair and a few return trips for other issue, I could not have been happier with the treatment I received at the Shults Hyundai dealership in Jamestown,NY. They initially had difficulty with the problem as I described it, until they recreated the situation, overnight time period, and experienced the same problem. The service writers, service manager, and mechanics seemed to take an interest in my problem and seemed to go the "extra mile" to make the best of a poor situation by obtaining loaner vehicles ( 4 over the month long situation) quickly, giving me updates and detailed explanations of the steps and difficulties they were having. The only problem, the first day they came to my home with a replacement vehicle and took my car, then returned it six hours later "all fixed". For this "repair" there was no work order writen, which came up at the Lemon Law procedure, it did not impact the result as the determining factor was the excess of 30 days out of service. A Word to the wise, Document everything in the beginning!
  • psu621psu621 Member Posts: 1
    Newbie here. Appreciate any advice.Should the spark plugs on a 2006 Sonata V6 39,000miles,be covered under the factory warranty?I know they are a "wear item" but are fouled due to a coil pack problem.I was getting a CEL light every so often for the last few months. After repeated trips to the dealership they finally diagnose the problem P0300 code as a random misfire and replaced the coil pack.My position is the plugs are fouled due to this problem and should also be replaced under warranty. Thanks for any help.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Since the plugs were likely fouled by a problem covered under warranty, I think it's reasonable that the plugs be covered also. What did your dealer say about it? If they say "no", you can take it up the chain to the Hyundai factory rep (dealer can get you in touch with them) or call Hyundai Customer Service about it.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Spark plugs should be covered also. It's not really a wear item anyway since they are supposed to be guaranteed to last up to 100k miles. In any case, when you replace the coil pack the rule of thumb is to replace the spark plugs also due to coil pack causing misfire. Report them if they don't replace them.
    Spark plugs ARE a wear item and are not "guaranteed" to last 100k miles. They are certainly not under warranty for 100k miles.
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    Once the plug fires it will clean it self and be as good as it was before the misfire occurred
  • jamesw1971jamesw1971 Member Posts: 2
    I'm on active duty in the military, I bought my 2003 Hyundai Sonota at Earnhardt Dodge/Hyundai dealership in Phoenix, AZ and my stepson crashed it into a wall in 2004. The entire front end of the vehicle was smashed in clear back to the windshield.
    We were told by our Statefarm rep that the car was $50 short of being totaled and that they would pay for it to be repaired as long as we had it fixed at the body shop located either next to or on the dealerships lot (can't remember if it was part of the dealership or not but it was on the same lot)
    It took 3 months to repair, this after we were told it would only take 1 month.
    2 months after we got the car back the molding that holds the windshield in place came apart on the expressway and we had to have it fixed.
    1 year after the initial repair the car wouldn't start. It could not be jumped and had no charge to the ignition system.
    We were told that the aftermarket anti-theft system the dealership had installed was locking out the ignition system and that the dealership disabled the anti-theft system to fix it.
    I was transferred to a new base in Texas and approximately 1 year later the car wouldn't start again. We had the car towed to Star Dodge/Hyundai in Abilene, Texas.
    We were told there was a crankshaft position sensor circuit bad and that it wasn't covered under the original insurance claim from the crash and we had to pay approximately $500 to have it repaired. The car did this a couple times while stationed in Texas, once we were told it was a battery problem (not covered under insurance).
    A couple years went by, we were transferred again and ended up in Illinois where the car refused to start again. I attempted to get it towed but no longer had insurance with Statefarm and they refused to tow it as did Hyundai as it was past the 5 year warranty towing insurance they had initially provided.
    I waited 24 hours and the car started up on its own and I let it go, thinking it was a fluke, and the car was fine for 1 year without ignition problems.
    1 month ago the car wouldn't start again, I waited a few hours and it started up just fine, but this time repeated the process over the course of several days and I was able to drive it to Brown and Brown Hyundai dealership in Bourbonnais, Illinois. Similar to all the other cases it would be running fine, I would stop for gas or to go into the store and it would not crank when I tried to start it again. Each time I'd wait a couple hours and it would start just fine.
    The check engine light would come on and the same code keeps coming out P0335 for a crankshaft position sensor A circuit. The same sensor which was replaced for $500 when I was in Texas in 2007. The same sensor I was told would fix the problem of the car just deciding to not start after changing the battery and disabling the antitheft system didn't fix the original problem.
    The only other major problem I have had with the car is the radio will be turned off, I will hit a bump and it will turn on on its own. Or I will be listening to the radio, hit a bump and it will swap to the CD on its own. I noticed in other complaints that there have been a lot of issues with Sonata radios doing this, at first I thought it was connected to the crash but I think I might just have one of them defectively designed radios.
    There is a recall for the door handles which have the metal covering coming apart and cutting my hands and the wheel well covers which have come apart and have rubbed on my tires. I was driving to work one day and the covers just came apart and were rubbing really hard on the tires, I had to cut the covers away on one side because they were so defective and destroying the tire. Both the door handles and wheel well covers are supposed to be covered under different recalls but I haven't heard anything from the dealership on them fixing them.
    The current dealership representatives name is Mr. Miles, he refuses to speak with me. He told me he thought I was blaming him for all the past problems with the car and I attempted to explain that I blamed Hyundai and my Insurance Company and it didn't have anything to do with him. This guy told me I needed to treat him with more respect and he hung up on me. I neither cursed or yelled at him and yet he won't talk to me on the phone and my car is sitting in his shop with no work being done to it. All I wanted was for the dealership to look further than just the sensor in trying to troubleshoot this problem, maybe do some wire tests or something but they refused saying their technician didn't want to get that far into it.
    Statefarm refuses to pay for the repairs even though I have attempted to argue the point that there is some serious wiring issues at play here, more than likely directly connected to the crash 6 years ago since the car has had a consistent track record of refusing to start for no reason, then starting up after only a few hours with no maintenance actually having been performed to the car.
    The current fixes for the car not starting have been
    1. Disabled antitheft system
    2. Replaced battery
    3. Replaced crankshaft position sensor
    4. Or no repair, the car just decides to work after sitting for a couple hours???

Now Brown and Brown Hyundai wants me to pay $600 to $700 to replace the same crankshaft sensor which was replaced when I was told would fix the ignition problem 3 years ago.
    Am I expected to pay Hyundai $600 plus dollars every year to two years replacing this same sensor because they refuse to diagnose the most probable wiring problem in the engine compartment? They have not troubleshot the wiring because they have said the computer gave a code for the sensor and that is all they are going to replace. I asked if they had access to maintenance records from the repair done in Texas and was told that Hyundai does not have a central database, save for warranty work and these repairs were not covered under warranty. They did nothing to attempt to verify the repair I had had done previously on the same sensor. This is how I'm treated being on active duty in the military and have to deal with mulitple dealerships in several states with a problematic car.
    I was an aircraft mechanic for the first 15 years I was in the military and I am confident there is a wiring problem associated with this issue that is not being addressed. Statefarm should have demanded it was repaired from the getgo and Hyundai should be honoring the repair work they did in Texas instead of telling me I have to pay $600 more dollars to replace the same sensor AGAIN.
    I won't even comment on the treatment I have received from the service department at Brown and Brown Hyundai. Respect is something that is earned and the way they have treated me and my family is not deserving.
  • rick7739rick7739 Member Posts: 1
    Somewhat similar warranty question. I am on a lengthy work assignment in a state
    other than where I purchased my Sonata ( new ). I have 22,000 miles on the vehicle, so I took it to a Hyundai Dealer since the maintenance manual calls for an oil change, inspection and tire rotation. The dealer called advising me to get a power steering flush and a fuel system flush as well as a front end alignment. I understand the many factors that could dictate the need for a front end alignment,
    but a power steering and fuel system flush at 22,000 miles ? I said no, thinking that service would be more appropriaye at the 30,000 interval. Now I'm second guessing.
    Those are just preventive maintenance services that the dealer is selling you. I work at a dealer and we usually don't recommend those until the vehicle's 30k mile service interval. You can wait until then, it's something that won't void your warranty if you don't have performed.
  • stan28stan28 Member Posts: 14
    Took my Azera in for 30K service to Browns Hyundai Manassas. Figured they would be doing the services recommended in the owners manual like Transmission Fluid change. 7K miles later I had it in at another dealer who asks me if I had the 30K
    service cause my transmission fluid is brown instead of red. Call Browns, they
    say "Oh, that's not part of our 30K service" even though the manual calls for
    fluid replacement at 30K. So basically all I got for my $411 was an oil change,
    the brake dust blown away, a pcv valve and a can of STP thrown into the gas tank. I suppose if my transmission had crapped out they would have blamed me
    for not maintaining my transmission. You have to watch these crooks.
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    That is a rip off and those guys are crooks. The dealer 30k ,60k services are mostly useless junk -b`cos all they have is a list of inspections and very few actual services. And all those will any way be inspected at any regular oil change. If I wanted the 30/60k services done-- I would get each service done ala carte-like Tranny flush,brake flush,coolant flush etc.. So get all these 4 flushes to be done and ask for a discount as you are getting all of them done at one time.Hope this helps.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I do not ask for the mileage service-I go for a oil /filter change. They do an inspection and let me know what is needed-It is alot cheaper that way.
  • lolakittylolakitty Member Posts: 4
    JUST HAD MY FIRST OFFICIAL SCHED MAINT TODAY. LUCKLY IT WAS ONLY $95. ALL MY PREVIOUS CARS - NEVER WENT BACK TO DEALER AND THEY ALL WERE FINE FOR 13 AND 17 YEARS!. NEVER EVEN CHANGED THE TRANNY FLUID NOT ONCE. NOW IM"HOODWINKED" INTO THESE UNNECESSARY VISITS EVERY SO MANY MILES. WHEN I WAS BUYING ALL THEY SAID WAS OIL CHANGES NO COST. NEVER UTTERED A WORD ABOUT THE REST OF THE BS. WHAT CAN I DO TO PROTECT MYSELF AGAINST THESE OUTRAGEOUS ANTICS AND BECOME EDUCATED TO THIS GAME? RETIRED SENIOR CITIZEN
    You can have your Hyundai serviced anyplace you choose. You can even do the maintenance yourself, if you have the time and skill and desire. Just be sure that all parts used are up to the factory specs, and keep all receipts and a log of all maintenance, just in case you ever need to make a warranty claim and Hyundai asks to see evidence that you followed the maintenance schedule.
    You should follow the maintenance guide provided in owners manual. If you think their trying to get over on you, than ask why that particular service is not stated in maintenance guide and why they're recommending it.
    Thanks for sharing Backy. I got a laundry list of useless and to me "inspect only" items for the 15,000K visit. Do you know what a BG Deposit Control Serv kit is? that's what i got charged for yesterday. Its on every scheduled dealer visit coming up.... So if I get oil changed at "Quicky lube" how can I be sure they use the oil thats in the manual? Should I ask them to document it on my receipt? . If I return to dealer for next oil change and just want that - will they report i did not have any sched maint done? This is alien to me as all cars I had I never went through this BS. Thanks Again !
    Hi Lashawn

I am going to do just as you suggested......and hope I don't labeled a
    real #@)*$&!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Would you really want to do business with a service center that gets irritated by you (politely) asking them to explain why they feel you need a particular service? I mean, you wouldn't let a doctor just tell you he recommended minor surgery without telling you why. You wouldn't pay someone to replace the roof on your house before it needed replacing just because they said you should. No shame in questioning your mechanic!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Do you know what a BG Deposit Control Serv kit is?

No. When you take a car in for scheduled service, bring the service schedule from the owner's manual with you, show it to the service writer, and say "These are the services I want done. Don't do anything else unless you clear it with me first." But be sure you have at least the manufacturer's specified maintenance done while the warranty is in force... if you want to avoid problems with warranty claims later, should you have one. That's true for all cars, not just Hyundais.

So if I get oil changed at "Quicky lube" how can I be sure they use the oil thats in the manual? Should I ask them to document it on my receipt?

Yes you should. And show them the oil spec from the owner's manual and have them confirm they'll use that spec or better. Also be careful on oil filters--they are not created equal. If I didn't get free oil changes on my 2 Hyundais from the dealer, I'd buy Hyundai oil filters (and the oil plug washers) for them and bring them along for the oil change. Most places will give you a discount if you bring your own filter.

You've never been through this, but I'll bet you never had a car with a 10-year warranty before, eh? ;)
This discussion has been closed.