Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

MAZDA3: Official 2007 U.S. Info

2»

Comments

• Options
    daniel99daniel99 Member Posts: 13
    Just FYI: I sent a complaint through the website yesterday and they responded early afternoon. They said the correction would happen ASAP.
    Since it has not happened yet, I guess it will occur next week.
  • Options
    dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    I found it pretty odd that neither trim of the MS3 offers a sunroof as an option? What's up with that?
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Possibly because the frame has been stiffened for better handling, making it not possible for a moon roof.

The early WRX's never had a moon roof either, for that reason.
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    I can think of a few more reasons:

First, no sunroof keeps the weight and cost down. (and the added weight is at an awkward location).

Second, fewer options (you'll notice virtually NO factory options outside of NAV in the Grand Touring model) means simplified assembly line.

Third, Mazda probably figures (correctly) that initial demand means they'll have no problem selling every unit they make, regardless of whether or not it has a sunroof. If they were trying to unload 25k units, yeah, a sunroof would probably need to be an option. But they're only looking to sell 5k units for the '07 MY. I would not be surprised to see the sunroof appear as an option next year (assuming the Speed3 comes back for '08).

IOWs, if you don't buy a Speed3 due to a lack of a sunroof, there's probably 3 guys in line right behind you who don't give a rip.
  • Options
    gottabgtogottabgto Member Posts: 95
    Got the 2007 GT auto hatchback in white over the weekend in the San Francisco Bay Area. The dealer experience was bizarre but enjoying the car none the less. Trying to break it in slowly - already have over 400 miles. Fun car for sure!
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Member Posts: 13
    Excellent! Just to confirm, you bought a Mazdaspeed3 and not a Mazda3? I haven't seen any MS3 even close to coming in the southeast.
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Just to confirm, you bought a Mazdaspeed3 and not a Mazda3?"

Speed3's haven't been released in the US yet. And white isn't even a Speed3 option (they'll only be available in red, black, silver, and something called 'cosmic blue').

GT is simply a Grand Touring. It is available on the regular Mazda3. And Speed3's won't be available with automatics.
  • Options
    johnnyvjjohnnyvj Member Posts: 112
    Saw an '07 5-door in the flesh yesterday, in a parking lot in Foster City (SF Bay Area). It was a case of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly:

1) The Good: The color was really nice! Looked like that new Galaxy Gray folks were talking about. Very pretty indeed, though I have my doubts about the new 'True Red' being as good as the old Velocity Red.

2) The Bad: While the 5-door I saw did still have the (nice!) slat-grill and not the crappy mesh-grill, I'm pretty sure I was looking at a Grand Touring model. And no, it was definitely not a Speed3.
    I definitely get the sinking feeling, from the articles & photos I've seen, that the crappy mesh-grill is going to be forced on the lower trim levels of the 5-door. Which will SUCK.
    Sorry, no other way to say it... slat grill > mesh grill. Which is why the MazdaSpeed 3 has the slat. When I want a chain-link fence on the front of my car, I'll let you know.

3) The Ugly: The new '07 rims are, in a word, lame. This is such a poor, braindead decision on Mazda's part... the old 5-spoke alloy rims were great, no need to 'fix' something that had such a great, simple, classic sporty look to it.
    The new '07 rims, in real life, just look kitsch and chi-chi and stupid. The five friends I was walking with had much the same reaction. I guess I could see warming up to them eventually and thinking they were almost 'okay', but they are a definite DOWNGRADE from the '06 5-spokers. Confirmed in real life. Thanks Mazda. Not. :sick:

Do I still want a 3? Well, I guess it depends... how much longer do you think dealers will stock the '06 rims, and how much do you think they'd charge me to swap? As the Brits say, oh bugger.
  • Options
    claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    Since when do the Mazda3's get the mesh grill on S models? They have always had mesh grills on the i (available in sedan only in the US). Have I missed something?

I have seen pictures of a hatch with a mesh grill, but I thought that these were pictures of models for other countries that offer the 2.0 on the hatch.

Is there any confirmed new that states the US will get mesh on lower level S (2.3L) hatches?
  • Options
    johnnyvjjohnnyvj Member Posts: 112
    If the mesh grill remains confined to the i sedans and non-US 2.0 hatches, I will be VERY happy. :)

Well, except for the rims, anyway.
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The mest grill will only be on the Mazda3 i model. The 5-door has the sport grill, same as the Mazda3 s sedan.
  • Options
    mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    Has anyone seen the news from Mazda global concerning the special edition of the 3 for the upcoming year. One new color (moist silver metallic aka Liquid Platinum) and some upgraded materials like chrome accents for door handles, new beige/black interior leather trim for seats. Sounds cool.
This discussion has been closed.