Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Test Drives

2»

Comments

• rradinarradina Member Posts: 5
    I removed the cover a couple days ago and there's really nothing much to see. Nothing particularly attractive, nothing particularly ugly. It's not a "rats nest" as I had feared. The wires are rather neatly wrapped in what appears to be a cloth tape.

Rather than the cover, Hyundai probably could have cast a large flat spot on the intake manifold, machined a nameplate into it and polished it. I suppose this would have "branded" the engine and perhaps they are trying to keep it generic for use in Kias.
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    Was it a big deal to remove? I plan to take a look myself. Any tips before I attempt it?
  • cliffymoncliffymon Member Posts: 5
    Been researching cars to find the right one for me. Been considering CRV, Ford Freestyle, Jeep Compass, Toyota Highlander, Mitsubishi Outlander, Buick Rendezvous. Using Edmunds and other sources. Friend told me he loves his 04 Santa Fe and has been looking forward to newly redisigned 07. So I researched it on Friday night and at 3:30Pm on Saturday went to local dealership to "see" it. Nice salesman showed it to me and offered test drive. Well, I fell in love instantly and this place had me out of my trade-in and in a new Santa Fe SE in less than 3 hours with financing and everything. The car rides amazing. Solid, quiet. Just ideal. Commanding view and feel of the road. I used to own a Subaru Legacy Outback and I just get an even more solid feeling in this Santa Fe. And is Pearl White car gorgeous. This color was worth the extra $200. Everywhere I went today, my first day of ownership, I got remarks on this car. Other than the Subaru which was so reliable, I've made some bad decisions on cars before. But I just know that this is the best decision I could ever make. I thank the research tools at Edmunds and elsewhere for pointing me in the right direction.
    Congrats!
    Good choice. I have not seen one in Pearl White. Please post a pic.

Good luck and enjoy!
    No problem to remove. There are six fasteners. To in the back, two in the middle, two in front. If I recall correctly, I believe the two in back and the two in the front are nuts that thread onto studs. The two in the middle are bolts. I believe all were 10mm.

Other than covering the engine for "looks", I don't see any purpose served by the cover. It might keep splashed water from pooling in areas on the top of the engine or getting other things on the top of the engine wet. However, since an engine is hot and any water splashing around it generates lots of steam, it would be prudent on Hyundai's part to design all aspects of the engine as water resistant. That leads me to the conclusion that the cover is just to provide an appealing engine compartment for the average person to peruse.
  • pmg1704pmg1704 Member Posts: 2
    Just did a test drive on a 4wd SE last night. Also looking at the CRV/RAV4.

Overall impression was positive. Great looking car. Can't imagine anyone over a dog fitting in the third row seats. Great layout nonetheless.

My two concerns are:
    1) Sudden stop caused an angry crunching noise that was not friendly. Dealer suggested car had to be broken in. My comment was it sounds like something is already broken.

2) Engine pickup from a stop was slow. It took a second or two to kick in, not immediately responsive.

Anyone else have these issues?
  • stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    I also recently test drove the SE model. Had same thoughts. Also considering CRV. Lots for the money. Rode smoothly. Also slow on pickup.
    Had Many in stock. dealer had tons on the lot. wanted to sell. I just wanted to drive. Asked the famous question . (What will it take?) I gave him a very low price including my trade. He got angry when I didn't take his offer. Told him I still had others to drive. He said again, What will it take? (I love a good comedy)

I'm still not convinced. Been a Honda/Acura person for 25 years. Old habits die hard.
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    I noticed that pickup was a little slow, but overall it's plenty fast for me. I think they could have done a little bit better with the gearing. I hope they switch to the Aisin 6-speed in upcoming years like the new Veracruz though. Aisin makes some pretty smooth transmissions.
    Was the "crunching" the sound of the ABS? Did you stop suddenly enough to cause wheel slippage? Every car's ABS usually makes an awful sounding noise as it works against the pedal to keep the wheel from locking up.

Regarding engine pickup, I agree on the slow response but after driving my 07 for just over 2,000 miles, I don't have a problem from a standing stop. It's usually when I'm cruising in the top gear. When floored, it takes a few seconds before the transmission and engine get on the same page. However, it definitely goes once it realizes you are serious about wanting power. Even after it decides to go, when the RPM reaches the shifting point, up shifts are slow (smooth, but slow) and rob more performance. I have not tried moving the shifter to the right and using the manual shif feature. I have read that this at least gives the illusion of making the shifts more responsive. Perhaps after I put few thousand more miles on it, I'll try giving it a beating with the manual shifter.

But I wholeheartedly agree that it should be more responsive but I'm not sure it's the transmission or the engine. It seems like the computer control is involved because I don't think it delivers full throttle fuel to the engine until the transmission is finished shifting gears. It's a very odd few seconds. The cars indecisiveness is not unlike the Chevrolet Malibu I drove for two years. The Malibu had traction control and unless it was disabled, when floored in a corner the car lumbered along until the turn was finished. Any sign of wheel slippage and it would practically kill the engine in an effort to ensure the wheels did not spin. Very strange feeling especially when you expect the car to be responsive and it feels like it's out of gas!

If the computer is at least partially to blame, I wonder if an aftermarket BIOS upgrade would improve the situation. Of course such a move may void the warranty.
    I have the 3.3 Limited AWD. Disable the ESC and traction control is gone. I can chirp the front tires with no problem. Now engage the sport shift and it becomes a beast if you know the sweet spot. ( 4000-4500rpm ). Very respectable for an SUV pushing 4000lbs+ and only 242hp. I agree on the delay issue. However, duration is under 2 seconds. Hyundai needs to work on this. The throttle is electronic. No cable. Many of the features within this truck are driven by a data network. Additional information can be found in the online shop manuals and tutorials on the Hyundai webtech site. Makes for some very interesting reading...
  • proudnewdadproudnewdad Member Posts: 12
    I am planning to but a SUV this Spring. I have sat in a lot of SUV's over the last 4 months and went to the Detroit Auto Show and sat in a bunch more. The one thing I notice about midsize SUV's are the front arm rests. I am 6'2 and 220lbs, the driver armrest in the SF is shared with the passenger. I have found this to be the most comfortable. Other cars like the VUE, highlander,CRV and others have their own armrest for driver and pasenger. I find my arm dangles over the armrest and is not comfortable. After all SUV's I've drove, I am liking the SF.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    When I test drove the AWD 07 Sante fe w/2.7 engine, I was not that taken. Perhaps it was that car, the tranny, or my mindset. A few days later I drove the 3.3 SE model and bought it. It was much quieter and more comfortable than the other brands I had driven, felt solid and generally had more bang for the buck IMHO.....Just took me a while to get used to the fact that I was buying a Hyundai...old reps die hard....

Mind you, I did not need the extra power of the 3.3 but from what I had read, it was a better engine with better technology and MPG....the SE had the towing pkg and perhaps a different suspension??? Anyway it felt better to me.

Normally I try to stay away from the "option pkgs" but I just did not want the 2.7...thus entered the SE model
  • g8trgrlg8trgrl Member Posts: 9
    I test drove the SF FWD GLS today - and the CRV EX model. No comparison. The SF had lots of plusses....incredibly quiet (as compared to the CRV), much better pickup, and absolutely no comparison in the engine. Now I'm torn reading all your posts about the SE - and having seen someone else's post in this area about picking up an LTD for $24K (which is the sticker price with the option package I saw today).

I found a dealer in the suburbs who seems to have a ton in inventory - I think heading away from the city (Chicago) will net me a better deal...if I can get the SE, from the sounds of it, for what I was planning to pay, I think I'll go for it.

Other loves: big back window, nice seats and comfortable viewing angles...can reach the stereo and feel like the leg length works (I'm 5'8") and really dug the cargo area in the back (no third row for me).

Any thoughts on what I should expect to pay for an SE right about now???

Thanks- :confuse:
  • rangersrockrangersrock Member Posts: 21
    It depends on which option packages you want. I saw a number of posts in which people got Santa Fes for over $5,000 off MSRP. I was able to get a 2007 Ltd with the touring package and floor mats for $22,800, plus tax, title and license.
    By the way, we considered the CRV too, but we wanted the additional room of the Santa Fe. So far, so good.
  • bperotsbperots Member Posts: 8
    This past Saturday I test drove the GLS and SE. The GLS' engine seemed to be missing something with pickup and power, but that was put aside when I got behind the wheel of the SE. It felt GREAT.

I am going with a Slate Blue SE w/ premium, if dealer can find one. Good luck.
  • rwm2rwm2 Member Posts: 11
    The poster of #21 mentions "all wheels providing power". As I understand Hyundai's AWD system, it is actually only a 2WD system during normal traction situations. The rear wheels are driven only after the system detects loss of traction by the front wheels, or if you push the lock button and your are doing less than 25mhp. This seems to be a common system used on many cars, but not my audi, which actually does provide power to all four wheels all the time. It is useful to remember that as you are driving down the (dry) road in your AWD Santa Fe, only the front wheels get power. I would be happy to be corrected if my understanding is incorrect.
    You are correct. Thats why many people choose this type of system. Under normal driving conditions you dont need the traction. Its my understanding FULL time awd uses more gas.
    I think I prefer power to all wheels all the time. That way, the fronts are less likely to lose traction in the first place because power is going to four patches of tire rubber instead of two. The 'part-time AWD' approach attempts to recover gracefully upon traction loss, whereas the 'full-time AWD' helps prevent traction loss. In practice this may be a fine distinction, but sometimes fine distinctions make the difference between losing control and not losing control. Audi will argue that their design does not use more gas. Anyway, people seeking high MPG will probably not be looking at the Santa Fe. I am considering the Santa Fe, but am having trouble justifying the extra bucks for the part-time AWD system.
    Santa Fe? Why the step down? Why are you not considering the Q7?
    Audi's are great cars, and I've owned them since 1981, but the Santa Fe will be our third vehicle. Variety is the spice of life!
  • edmac1edmac1 Member Posts: 36
    The Q7 must be a damn good car since it costs about twice as much as a Santa Fe.

If the latest Consumer Reports Annual Auto Issue is any guide, Hyundai is making great strides in its efforts to produce top-quality vehicles. In the Reliability section (the one with all the little black and red circles, dots, etc.) the 2006 Santa Fe is rated "much better than average" in every category.
  • jvanasekjvanasek Member Posts: 3
    Can someone please tell me who is the manufacturer of the XM radio components in the '07 SantaFE?
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    Interesting question that AFAIK hasn't been asked here before. I'm sorry I can't help with an answer; out of curiosity, why do you ask?
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    Delphi supplies the Santa Fe's audio system, including the XM receiver.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    You are an amazing source of great information, Oscar! :)
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    It helps to have friends in high places! :D
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    I would SUGGEST etrailer.com
    http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_Hyundai_Santa+Fe.htm

then add the oem plug and play from the dealer (about $86)

I got my drawtight hitch and it was a perfect fit. I bought the plug and play from the dealer (stealership) to avoid any possible warranty issue + it was easy and I am lazy! :) .

Easy installation...I just used a small jack to position the hitch and tightened in the 4 bolts...done in about 15 minutes. Then added the plug in harness in another 15 minutes...voila...nice and neat. About $210 spent.

30 minutes was my total and a lot of that time was hitch positioning (heavy) and routing the harness neatly in the under carriage. You should find the oem plug connectors on the driver side under the rear tire fender well...funky looking connectors on 2 wire looms. (capped to protected the wiring.....)

There is a large thread if you search these forums on these hitches!

SURE BEATS THE STEALERSHIP PRICING! :shades:
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Article comments for Full Test: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited - Focus on those real-world chores and it's easy to see the new 2007 Santa Fe as an all-star. By making the Santa Fe wider, longer and more powerful than before, Hyundai has created a suburban multitasker that does almost everything so well it blends into the background of everyday life — and we don't mean that in a bad way. (more)
This discussion has been closed.