Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe New Owners

Comments

• lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    Amen!!! This forum has been invaluable to me as well. I thought once I purchased my SF, I wouldn't visit here any more. Obviously, I'm still here and I, too, appreciate the polite replies. I will continue to visit this forum almost daily!

On another note, the weather here has been really nice the last couple of days. I want so badly to go cruising with my sun roof open; but I can't see wasting the gas and money right now. I love my new SF!
  • jimsistjimsist Member Posts: 62
    when i got mine it came on a plastic ring with a number in white not like the 05 i had which was a on metal. i throw mine away not knowing what it was. if you are worried call hyundai and get a case number and then fight to have your locks changed. now does anyone know if the fog light kit on ebay will fit my 07? my 07 is a gls with sunroof pkg. now checking the fuse box and i found that there is a relay and fuse already there for the fog lamps but could not find the connectors. can any one help me thanks jim 07 white santa fe :)
  • davesuvdavesuv Member Posts: 149
    Love to drive,

Life is too short to not enjoy a beautiful day when you have the chance. For about $3 you can go cruising for 20 miles with that sun roof wide open. Stop and have some ice cream and walk it off on that trail at your nearby park. Don't forget to take your camera :) (You can always post a picture of your beloved Santa Fe on your CarSpace).
  • mleone7mleone7 Member Posts: 7
    Hi gllund,

Please also let me know when you have a copy of this TSB as I am also interested in getting this fixed. I've hit brick walls with my dealer and Consumer Affairs, both telling me they will not honor a fix for this issue. Thanks!
  • lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    Hi davesuv:

I did go cruising last night (Sunday) and got some ice cream. I didn't take a walk, though; I just kept on driving! I'm sad I don't have my car today because it's beautiful again. My husband took it for it's first oil change. That's a good thing, especially because it's free!
  • powerman5powerman5 Member Posts: 6
    I just had mine programed and they did it under a warranty item. I would check again about having it done under a warranty item. Good luck!!! :shades:
  • kontentkontent Member Posts: 12
    After one year of wanting this vehicule, it finally happened. I got the 5 passenger, deepwater blue GLS (Canada) with remote start, trailer hitch and two front windows tinted. All of this is leased at %599 per month for 25,000km per year, with %1000 down (including licensing, taxes, delivery and first payment) for 48 months. This included the grad rebate and the add on features were free. After I agreed to the deal, another dealership offered me $585 per month with $1375 down and the grad rebate wasn't even included. It's too bad I already made the deal or I would have taken that one and it could have got down to $575 per month with somewhere near $1000 down. I'm still happy and have no remorse. This vehicule is amazing! The map lights come on when the door is open too! Only problem is the stereo only plays MP3's and not wma's???
    Congratulations on your new Santa Fe!

I wonder if they use a different radio unit on the Canadian Santa Fe's. Mine plays WMA files without any difficulty. Of course, I don't have XM radio :( . Mine was built on 8/1/06. I took delivery the beginning of October here in Ohio.

2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD with Premium and Touring packages
    Dark Cherry Red with beige leather interior
  • pdmikepdmike Member Posts: 1
    I just got a new 2007 Santa Fe SE and I've had it for about a month. A couple of days ago, I just got some ice cream and I was getting out of my SUV and when I shut the door, the driver side back small window blew out. Right now I have a giant 4 in hole. 1. Is anyone else having a problem with this issue? 2. Hyundai refuses to cover it under manufacturers defects because they believe i did it purposely. 3. I don't know what to do. 4. does the car have enough pressure when closing the door to cause the window to blow out?

Thanks for any help!
  • 4pmg4pmg Member Posts: 12
    Have you had the map lights fixed yet?
  • kmwilsonkmwilson Member Posts: 17
    I unfortunately have not had good luck yet with this issue. I bought my vehicle from a dealer in KY and I live in Indiana. I had to call them practically everyday just to check on the order for a cargo cover and to get my headphone set back. One was broke when i bought the car. I had them check on the map light issue and of course they came back and said they checked with service and nothing could be done. So at this point, I am done dealing with that dealer and I am going to take the issue up with a dealer in my area that seems to be more customer service friendly. I am hoping that I will get somewhere with them. I am with you though....I would like to know if anyone has gotten them fixed. I have seen a few replies indicating that it was so. I am going to print off the replies and take to the dealer here to help my case :)

If anyone has gottn the map light fixed, this would be useful information to take to the dealer.

Thanks,
    Karen
  • car57car57 Member Posts: 12
    Hello,

I just read your message about contacting Hyundai corporate to get a fix so the map lights will come on when the doors are opened. Would you mind giving me the Hyundai contact information? My Santa Fe was built in November 06. It is a limited AWD in natural Khaki and we really like it. Thank you very much.
  • gllundgllund Member Posts: 29
    Go to this link and read about dome light fix. I've got my parts on order. Gord
    http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t11768-st-80-dome-light-wtf.htm
  • drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    I read the link above from gllund, looks like all those getting the map light issue fixed are in Canada. I called Hyundai USA, was told that it is a different company in Canada, and that there is no fix for this in the US. They did open a file and will look into it some more, and the customer service person did say they have received other calls on this issue. But I won't hold my breath.
  • 4pmg4pmg Member Posts: 12
    I received a a phone call from Hyundai's Consumers Affairs office today. They have ordered the parts to fix my map lights. In fact, they called me three tomes today to make sure they had the right color and trim codes. I'm not sure what parts were ordered but I do know it includes a new map light fixture. I'm not sure if they are going to just run a wire or actually remove the headliner. I will let everyone know as soon as the map lights have been fixed.
  • kmwilsonkmwilson Member Posts: 17
    4mpg
    Who did you contact to get the information. Is there a phone number where you called to start with? Did you contact Hyundai Consumer Affairs? Also are you located in the US or in Canada? I would like to try and call. It seems that some people are getting somewhere by contacting Hyundai directly.

Thanks!
  • santalovingsantaloving Member Posts: 5
    Folks,
    It is amazing to note how much this forum has influenced me.The reason I ended up buying a Santa Fe is the awesome reviews that people had in this forum and my test drive proved nothing less. Anyways..long story short..I am a 2 weeks old owner of the Santa Fe..and loving every minute.

A big thanks to the nice folks here.
    Cheers.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats on the new Santa Fe!

Please post some pics of your new ride on your CarSpace page too.
  • pedro6pedro6 Member Posts: 12
    I received a call today from Hyundai USA, they will fix my map light to turn on when I open any door like it should, they told my dealer wil call me to set up a time.
    Welcome to the Santa Fe family. Your Santa Fe is identical to mine. Check out my CarSpace for photos of mine. I picked mine up last October and have over 8000 miles on it now. It's still the best purchase decision I've made. I love it!

Mods: trailer hitch, mud guards
  • bloodclawbloodclaw Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2007 Santa Fe SE/AWD premium package XM , Slate Blue w beige interior, My wife and I love this SUV we traded in our 04 that was a great SUV , but loved the 07 once we saw it and test drove it. :shades:
  • hppd432hppd432 Member Posts: 6
    Recent owner of 2007 Santa Fe and love it would be an understatement! It's Silver Blue in color and an SE with the V6. I test drove other SUV's as well as trucks and learned as much as I could before going to a dealer. Went back to Bob King Hyundai in Winston Salem,NC and purchased my new ride where I had purchased my first Hyundai in 2003. After just telling the Manager what I would give I ended up getting 4'200.00 off sticker :-)

Now more research to add on a few things to my new vehicle. Any websites anyone knows about would be appreciated. Looking at mainly exterior add ons.

Ok, I am still smiling :-)
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    A couple of weeks ago I made the decision to leave my job. Believe it or not, one of the toughest considerations was the fact that I'd have to return a 2-month-old Volvo XC90 AWD. (It was a company car that I got to order to my own specs.) Anyway, I decided to leave the job and return the car.

We were left with my wife's daily driver (2006 Mazda 3) and my weekend toy (2005 Corvette). It didn't take long to figure out that, although I'm keeping the Corvette, I definitely don't want it to be my daily driver. Not only that, we really wanted to have an SUV to replace the Volvo. No way were we going to buy anything nearly as expensive (or big) as the XC90; in fact, we set our sights on a Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD. We took one for a test drive and were quite impressed with it. Not only that, but the dealer had one that was equipped exactly the way we wanted it. It could have been so easy!

Just for the fun of it, I walked across the dealer's lot to their row of Santa Fes. Within a few minutes we were test driving a Limited AWD. As nice as the Tucson was (and it was very nice), the Santa Fe blew it away for just a few thousand dollars more. We left the dealership quite convinced that we'd end up with a Hyundai SUV - we just weren't sure which one.

Over the next week I did my due diligence by doing a lot of on-line research, kicking tires, and taking test drives. I drove the Chevy Equinox, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Honda CR-V, VW Rabbit, to name a few. My only hesitation with the Hyundais was their lack of available factory navigation systems.

In the end, it came down to the Santa Fe and the Grand Cherokee Limited. My wife and I both liked it with its V8 (we drove a 4.7 liter V8, not the Hemi) and luxury touches such as standard power passenger seat, power adjustable pedals, memory function for driver's seat, outside mirrors, pedals, and stereo, and available navigation. Still, something was missing in the Jeep. The interior was dull and dated with Chrysler's rather boring blue-green lighting. For such a large vehicle, I thought the rear seat accommodations would be generous but they're actually quite tight. Even though dealers are giving Grand Cherokees away (they're easy to buy at or slightly under invoice AND there's a $4500 rebate!), one without navigation would have still been $4000 more than a Santa Fe Limited AWD with Premium Package. Combine that with the Jeep's considerably worse gas mileage and higher insurance cost and it makes a solid case for buying a Santa Fe instead.

This past Friday our local Hyundai dealership notified me that they'd just received a Santa Fe that was configured exactly the way we wanted it - Limited AWD, Steel Gray/Black, Premium Package, carpeted mats. To top it off, it also contained the $20 "official" Hyundai first aid kit! We looked at it that night, then went across the street to test drive the Grand Cherokee. The next day (this past Saturday) we bought the Santa Fe and drove 'er home. We paid invoice + $0, less the $1000 rebate.

Though I've only put around 100 miles on it since picking it up, I'm very impressed with this car. It has a very high-quality feel to it and everything works perfectly. In fact, and this is a strong statement, my new Santa Fe is every bit as enjoyable to drive and feels every bit as high-quality as the $46,000 Volvo XC90 I just turned in! Two weeks ago I'd have never imagined making such a statement but today I make it without hesitation. The Santa Fe is truly impressive in both its design and its build quality. Interior materials choices seem to be excellent. The car provides excellent ride quality and it's tight as a drum. I'm especially impressed with how quiet it is inside, regardless of speed. Everything about it exudes a high-quality feel.

The Santa Fe is also much more comfortable than I expected it to be. Not only are the front seats great, but the back seats are, too. (Mine is a 5-passenger.) I'm 6' tall and with the driver's seat in my optimal driving position the rear compartment still has plenty of leg room - much more than the Jeep. Add to that the reclining back seats and you have a vehicle that can accommodate 5 adults in genuine comfort.

If I could make changes, they'd be few and minor:

Make navigation available. (Rumor has it that it will be a factory option on U.S. models for 2008; if so, hopefully the unit will retrofitable to 2007 models.)

Provide a dash or stalk-mounted switch to turn on all interior overhead lights at once. (Luckily, my just-built car has the front overhead lights that illuminate when the door is opened.)

Automatically turn on front overhead lights upon removing the key from the ignition.

Provide exterior repeater lights on the outside mirrors or front side fenders.

Illuminate the power mirror controls in the driver's door.

Do something with the rear bumper-mounted red light lenses! (Why not use them as rear fog lamps in U.S. models?)

Make the power passenger seat standard.

Provide an intermittent cycle for the rear window wiper.

Offer HID (xenon) headlamps.

Offer the upgraded audio system as a stand-alone option.

Provide back lit illumination for the overhead map light and sunroof control buttons.

That's pretty much it. Hyundai has clearly hit a home Run with the Santa Fe. I'm proud and feel very fortunate to own one. :D
    I feel the same about my Santa Fe. After 8000 miles, it's still as tight and quiet as when I first picked it up and is a joy to drive. By the way, my rear window wiper is intermittent. When I turn it on, it wipes about 5 times continuously, then automatically switches over to intermittent mode. Just the way you'd use it in the real world! The engineering in the vehicle is amazing.

2007 Santa Fe AWD Limited with Premium and Touring packages
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    By the way, my rear window wiper is intermittent. When I turn it on, it wipes about 5 times continuously, then automatically switches over to intermittent mode. Just the way you'd use it in the real world!

That's good to hear, Dave! I'll have to check mine out. Thanks for the info.
  • newyorkmbanewyorkmba Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I have a 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD. Same issue with the front map lights, they fail to go on when a door is opened.

Can you advise the number you called for Hyundai USA?

Lastly, does anyone find that the rear turn signals on the Limited are too dark? Motorists behind the Limited have a hard time seeing the turn signal when it is on, the entire light is red, not yeloow like other Santa Fe's.

Thank you,

Rob
    Hyundai Consumer Affairs phone number is 800-633-5151 and e-mail is consumeraffairshmausa.com

I'm told mine will be replaced, but I need to set it up.

I agree about the rear turn signals. Yellow is much easier to see. I recall seeing a posting about an after-market kit that replaces the low red reflectors with working lights, but I don't recall if they were just brake lights or turn signals.
  • canuckercanucker Member Posts: 19
    I also noticed that the small corner turn signals are barely noticeable during the day particularly if the sun is shinning directly behind the vehicle. I’m now in the habit of braking first then turning on the signals so that the car behind me backs off. I personally feel that it’s an accident waiting to happen and a major design flaw on Hyundai’s part.

That being said, you can get the Euro taillights (yellow turn signals) at Korean Auto Imports but I’m not sure they are legal in the US/Canada because although there is a red lens around the outside of the taillights I’m not sure they light up at night.
  • musky1gfmmusky1gfm Member Posts: 36
    People in USA that have had modification done by dealer to turn map lites on and off with opening/closing of doors,PLEASE RESPOND!
    Hyundai Corp. told me last week there is no such mod.out to do this,that it's all a rumor on webb.
    If some one has had this actually done,please provide any info you may have.Such as mod.#,part#,something that we 1st gen.owners can provide dealer with.
    If you don't have this,please provide dealership info that did work.
    I have 14000 miles on my AWD Limited,and except for light issue,and recent false readings on my outside temp.display,really like my S.F.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    Not a Rumor...

the phone and ext # at Hyundai usa is 800 633-5151 ext# 54204-Barbara . She has been a pleasure and contacts the dealers to get the parts ordered for you.

I have the parts on order and the then dealer called to confirm that I do not have a sunroof (different dome light) and they were ordering the kit Friday .YES IT IS IN THE USA west coast.

Dealer confirmed 1) new console, wire harness, and new dome light. The reps name is Barbara at HyundaiUSA. Parts were released at the end of last week from wjhat the dealer said and it is all being done at no chg. You are speaking to the wrong people or have old info. They gave me that line 2 weeks ago too!

There is also a TSB on the temp issue that is also listed here on the forums some time back. I had it done in march and there was a wire that had to be moved in the fuse box. My dealer knew nothing until i gave him the TSB...do a little hunting in here....you will find it
  • ravenfan50ravenfan50 Member Posts: 14
    I called Hyundai's Consumer Affairs yesterday. The rep. was very nice and told me that she heard of people inquiring about the Map Light issue. She says there was no TSB and it was not a Hyundai fix. She suggested I just work with the dealer to get this fixed.

Would you be able to share the cost that your dealer is charging? I think based on cost, I will determine if I should continue pursuing this fix.
    Very strange...did you call the rep at ex 54204 and get a case #....barbara is her name?

I was told there was no charge for the fix (dealer confirmed this also). I will post when it is completed, hopefully next week. This is not a TSB but some type of field warranty fix. I wish they would get their story straight. I got the same type of mess until last friday

NOTE: the dealers knew NOTHING about this until I got it from consumer affairs....

The part # for the light kit in GREY with no sunroof is
    00325-92800J4...dealer confirmed Warranty work (NO CHG) authorized by Hyundaiusa! it should be in this week...we shall see. Note there are different part numbers for the different trims!

There was a TSB for the temp indicator on the computer though
  • ravenfan50ravenfan50 Member Posts: 14
    No, I did not talk to Barbara. I originally sent an email, but got a response back that I had to call 1-800-633-5151. After all the choices (ughhh), I finally got a rep.

Was that the number you called for Barbara?

Yes, please post when you have your map light completed. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    That is the correct # 1-800-633-5151
    Then ask for a rep and ask for ex 54204 barbara.

if she is busy, get a case # opened anyway and tell the rep you are speaking with, that barbara is aware of the issue and to please contact her for you...it is a pain since you cannot dial directly. If you have to, ask whatever Rep that does not know about what that part number I gave was for :) Hint: It is not for a toaster!!! of course if your trim level is different than mine, your part number will be different..You must be persistent because the reps are either last or second last to know!

If you can find them, some of my posts show SEVERAL DIFFERENT responses from the different reps throughout this ordeal....it was not until Friday when barbara called after researching the issue that things started to happen. There is also a post somewhere in here about someone else that has had it done already....so it is definitely real, especially in light of the part # I gave you etc.
    Several others here have also mentioned her and that extension. Barbara called my dealer and the dealer immediately called me!

I spoke with my dealer this am and she said the parts will be expected this Thurs...assuming no backorder...uggh) I am lucky and my dealer is smart and COOPERATIVE. She also got part numbers for all trim levels so she does not have to go thru this again...she was embarrassed especially since she remembered I had to get the TSB (from this forum) to correct the temp indicator problem (that they were not informed of)!!!!

I will definately keep you informed and should be finished with this sometime next week!
    I finally spoke to Barbara today, and the parts are now on order for me, also. She said my dealer should contact me within 7 days to schedule installation.
  • newyorkmbanewyorkmba Member Posts: 5
    I found that some of the Hyundai Consumer Affairs people are nice but unhelpful.

Here is the deal: call Barbara (specifically) at Hyundai Consumer Affairs at 1-800-633-5151 x54204. She is handling my file # for the map light issue. Very nice & helpful.

Apparently the first 4,000 2007 Santa Fe's had no issue with the map lights, then somewhere on the line something changed. Hyundai is not contacting all owners (they should) but those who call are getting a "retro fit" kit for the map lights at NO CHARGE via a dealer install.

Barbara said the retro fit parts will get to the dealer in about 2 weeks, I should expect a call from the dealer to set up the appointment.

Lastly, to repeat, I was told there will be NO CHARGE for the install & parts. Don't accept anything less!

Good luck! - Rob M
    I wish there were some way to get Barbara's efforts recognized.

The rep that told me they just added another dome light was way wrong.(that was after numerous calls to reps that said there was NO FIX and they had no idea of an issue!)

Barbara actually went back and reviewed the file and called me to give me the correct info and apologize for the company...

I HOPE SOMEONE FROM HYUNDAIUSA IS READING THIS FORUM....THEY ACTUALLY ASKED ME FOR THE URL! WITH MORE PEOPLE LIKE HER AND THE GOOD PRODUCTS THEY ARE NOW TURNING OUT....WINNER X10!!! THIS LADY IS CUSTOMER SERVICE PERSONIFIED!!!!

This forum has been invaluable in getting the correct info out to us owners...THANKS TO THE SPONSORS!!!
  • gwillygwilly Member Posts: 51
    Identical phone call and same results, phone call and 7 day scheduled appointment for my map lights. I just hope I don't have to deal with the grumpy unfriendly service person at my local dealer on this issue.
  • dz302dz302 Member Posts: 26
    Mine must be one of the first 4000. Picked it up Aug. '06. I'm going to talk to my dealer first, and see if he looks at me like I've got two heads. I'm in Canada, so it sounds like I can work directly through my dealer, otherwise, I'll call Babs.
    Thanks for the info. Great site! Luv my S.F. ;)
  • meflowermeflower Member Posts: 5
    We just bought a SF SE with arctic white color this week. We thought about SF, VUE, Escape, Equinox and finally decided that we would go with more airbags and stability control. So far we are very happy about this car. I like the look and the handling.

But there are few things here.

1.Rear Mirror. Did anybody ever notice the passenger-side rear mirror adjusted differently from the driver side? It doesn't go up when I hit UP and instead goes to "up-right". Um, we did not notice this at the dealership. When the passenger-side rear mirror moves, it moves with a triangle axle instead of two axle along horizontal and vertical. That's weired.

2.Antenna. Do you have an antenna on your SF? We don't have one! Just wondering if it is a standard for SF SE.

3.What's in the back organizer underneath? We have a few tools but not sure if we miss something there. Can I find a list somewhere?

Thanks for sharing your experience. This forum is awesome!!!

;)
    I haven't noticed anything weird with the mirror, I'll have to take note of that next drive.

With the XM radio, the antenna is on the roof, at the rear just above the rear door.

I never noticed a list, but I do recall that there appears to be a lot of extra spaces for tools in the storage bin, but it looks like everything you would need to change a tire is there.
    Thanks! Our SF may not have a XM radio. Let me double-check. :confuse:
    Our antenna is missing! I'd call up the dealer to see what they say.

Gas mileage is so low now. about 11miles/gallon! I'd move to another thread to see what others say.

Luv SF!
  • jimirljimirl Member Posts: 31
    I have had my Santa Fe for almost 3 months now. I am in the NY/NJ area. I am starting to see more Santa Fes around and I always give them a once over to see if there are any differences or ideas other people have for them

Well I was at a light today and looked across the intersection at a nice Santa Fe. The woman driving was looking at mine as well and when she noticed me she put on the biggest smile and waved :) and I waved back.

I used to own an old corvette and I have had a few motorcycles in the past. Both of those vehicles usually get a nod or wave from a fellow owner. I almost forgot what that felt like until today. I guess there are more and more happy Santa Fe owners around.
  • boatman1339boatman1339 Member Posts: 16
    Glad to hear that you like your Santa Fe I own an 06 and just love it. Haven't had any real problems, other than a mess that the deler mechanic made when doing a transmission flush, and a bad throttle sensor. but man its a nice vehicle. I'm in Florida, and drive alot for my job, and I've also taken it back home to Ohio. Just a sweet ride, even thru the mountains!
    I'm going to order a trailer hitch in a few days, and eventually a bike rack. I wish Hyundai would come out with some more accesories. I'm guessin you have an 07, I really like the improvements they made on it, especially the console, and the hood design. I'm on my third Hyundai, and my next vehicle will most likely be a Hyundai. I do see a lot of hyundais on the roads here, especially the Santa Fe> Good luck with yours.
  • pedro6pedro6 Member Posts: 12
    I now see pop out keys for sales for all cars, like the mercedes keys. Any ideas where I can find one for a 2007 Santa Fe?
  • sduff68sduff68 Member Posts: 52
    I traded in a 2005 Scion XB for a 2007 Santa Fe SE.

The XB was a great little car; it got great gas mileage, had an incredible amount of interior room for its size. It also had some great safety features for its price range (ABS, Traction Control, and Vehicle Stability Control).

Unfortunately it lacked features like cruise control, had a well designed interior, unfortunately it was all hard cheap plastic (for some reason no one ever mentioned this in the glowing reviews), had a rough ride, and little sound deadening. I felt like I was driving an entry level kid’s car. (I am almost forty years old, and I felt like I should be enjoying my drive)

The recent reviews where it got poor impact ratings concerned me too. I have two little boys that I often drive around and if we were in an accident I want to ensure they have maximum protection.

When my wife finally gave me the green light to purchase a new vehicle I decided to go with a Hyundai. I had read the recent reviews of the Sonata Limited, and I knew it had all the Luxury features I wanted at the same price as an entry to mid level Camry or Accord. I was not seriously considering an SUV because I wanted good gas mileage.

I had my heart set on a white or silver Sonata. Unfortunately the dealer I went to only had the Platinum Edition Silver Sonata Limited with the monotone black interior. In my opinion the two tone interiors along with the wood grain are a big selling point and it looks luxurious. I was looking for something luxurious looking without paying a big luxury price. The only two tone interior Sonata in a color I liked (gold) had a two tone brown tan interior with natural wood grain. I was willing to settle for gold, and I liked the interior; however I have a two year old and a 5 month old, I was seriously concerned about how well that light colored tan interior would hold up.

Just for GP I decided to look at the Santa Fe’s on the lot. I had seen them on the road and I was really impressed with the appearance. I had never liked the bulbous appearance of the older Santa Fe’s. However the new ones impressed me. They looked like a cross between a Nissan Murano, and a Lexus 350 however unlike those vehicles they had a really reasonable price.

Well, the rest is history. I test drove the Santa Fe and I loved how it drove. Unlike the Sonata it had a firm European ride with minimal body roll when you cornered. Like the Sonata it was remarkably quiet, and it felt like a much more expensive car. I had traded in a Ford Explorer for the Scion and I missed “riding high” and the feeling of security it gives you. They also had it in silver with the dark and light grey interior and the faux grey tinted wood. (In my opinion the grey tinted wood looks a lot more realistic than the brown wood). My wife drove the Santa Fe as well and she preferred it to the Sonata. She prefers larger vehicles (she drives a silver Toyota Sienna) and she was not used to a vehicle that “jumps” forward when she eases of the brakes.

I made a deal I could live with and drove a silver 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe SE home. (I would have liked to have a limited but my trade-in was upside down and I could not afford it. Also, the SE had every feature I really wanted except for leather). It has been one month and I am happy with the vehicle. The XM radio was a pleasant surprise. I had never seriously considered it and now I can’t imagine not having it. My wife liked XM so much that I bought an accessory unit and installed it in her Toyota Sienna.

The car’s interior is beautiful. The blue interior lighting reminds me of the VW Passat or the Jetta which I have always loved (until I saw the 07 Santa Fe Volkswagen was the standard for a affordable vehicles interior, and I have always liked the interior of German Luxury Vehicles.. The interior design is very similar to a Mercedes, or BMW SUV (I know, I have looked at their interiors to compare). The car is so quiet, it is quieter than my wife’s mini van, and most car reviews call the Sienna the “Lexus” of mini vans. The transmissions are equally quiet but the Sienna has a little engine growl that the Santa Fe lacks (I actually wish the engine or the exhaust had a little more growl, but the lack of noise only makes the vehicle seem more expensive).

The dual exhaust is a nice aggressive “manly” touch, and unlike the competition the new Santa Fe does not look like a “cute ute”. I went to JD Power and 52% of the purchasers of the Toyota RAV4 and 53% of the purchasers of the Honda CRV are women; 56% of the purchasers of the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe are men! Despite comparisons to small SUVs the Santa Fe compares equally to the Toyota Highlander or the Honda Pilot for a lot less money and I think it looks a lot better to boot! More guys buy the Honda Pilot (63%) however, and the Highlander is about equal (55%).

My only complaints are you cannot turn on the fog lights without turning on the headlights (I like being able to drive with only the fog lights), I cannot believe there is no MP3 auxiliary jack, and of course the gas mileage. While the Santa has good mileage for a SUV/CUV it is still not as good as a car.

I am not worried about reliability because I know that Hyundai has improved and their warranty is second to none. Re-sale is another matter espcially since I am already slightly upside down because of my trade-in and I know Hyundais dont have great resale...yet. However, I plan to drive this vehicle for the next ten years...I think it is that good.
  • proudnewdadproudnewdad Member Posts: 12
    I have owned my 07 SF FWD Natural Khaki for 2 months and now have 2000 miles on it (off the break in period!!) I am now driving it a little harder then before, and do notice some torque steering when accelerating quickly from a stopped position and turning to the left or right. The car wants to go straight, you can feel "pulling" in the steering wheel when your in the middle of turning and hard acceleration. I think I noticed it more in the SF because of the 18 inch rims. Every FWD car is going to give you some torque steering, I don't consider it to be a "serious flaw" but something you should be aware about. I am a firm believer of knowing the boundaries of the car you drive, and in a safe place, experiment with your car so you know all the little quirks. P.S. My wife and I love our SF and get compliment on the color all the time - Natural Khaki.
  • proudnewdadproudnewdad Member Posts: 12
    Turning the wheel quickly at highway speed is not torque steer, your feeling the inertia of the car going in the direction of the steering wheel, dangerous on any vehicle you drive. torque sheering comes into play under hard acceleration of the vehicle.
  • rvanremorvanremo Member Posts: 3
    Anybody know if it's 'safe' to remove the front license plate plastic bracket from the bumper? After unscrewing the two upper bracket mounting screws, the lower part of the bracket is being held onto the bumper via two small plastic sleeves that resist easy pop-out. Is it OK to tug hard on them to get them to release or would I destroy the bracket and/or damage the bumper if I did? Thanks for any thoughts. We don't use front license plates here in AZ, so I'd rather go sans bracket on our Santy (2007 AWD Ltd)
This discussion has been closed.