Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe New Owners

Comments

• ahuberahuber Member Posts: 5
    Hi, hope this isn't a stupid question. I am in correspondence (via email and phone calls) with a dealer, and we are discussing options, etc., on the 2008 Santa Fe SE.

He is using two terms: "with MG, CF" and I can't get an explanation about what they mean.

Any clues?

Mary N.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    MG Front and Rear Mudguards
    CF Carpeted Floor Mats (5-Passenger)

Invoice on the mudflaps is $76 and the mats invoice for $107.

You can see more at Edmunds. If that link doesn't work, just go to the New Cars tab above and drill down to the SE prices for your zip code.
    Thank you so much, Steve, for your incredibly fast reply. I appreciate your help!

Mary Huber
  • happydaisyhappydaisy Member Posts: 1
    i just got my sf yesterday. i am loving it. only problem i am having it putting my butterfly plate on the front of the suv. The holes do not line up. am i just having an off day or is there something else that i need to attach a plate to the sf? please help thanks
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    What's a butterfly plate?
  • anbrayanbray Member Posts: 2
    I want to install fog lights in my 2007 santa fe gls. Currently i need the harness connector for the bulb (881) and the harness connector for the fog light switch assembly. The dealor can't provide these to me. anyone know where i can get them?

thanx
  • rich123rich123 Member Posts: 31
    Just got a 2009 Santa Fe SE. On the driver side rear bumper, there is a plastic access hole about the size of a silver dollar with a down arrow on it. What is this?
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    It's for the tow eyelet in the cargo area's tool storage. It is described in your owners manual under towing.
  • luvwowluvwow Member Posts: 11
    I had the expel system on my 99 van on front and my headlights what a great system my car looks great at the time in 1999 when we bought it my husband and friend put it on was perfect but it took time unless you are patient have help let the professionals do it when I purchase my next car will be getting it installed on it as well.
    Just got the 2009 Santa Fe FWD with the 04 premium package. I notice the red alarm light on the dash. Our insurance company says we can get a 15% discount on our policy if the alarm is passive. Any other alarm is only 5% discount. Can someone please tell me if our alarm is passive or some other type?
    I was reading my manual on my new 2009 Santa Fe. It says that we have 90 days from date of purchase to withdraw from arbitration. Has anyone done this? Are we better with arbitration if a problem arises? I do not know how fair the arbiter would be. Please advise.
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    Please read the following and make your own decision. I did what it advises:

http://ohiolemonlaw.blogspot.com/search/label/Hyundai
    Hi Denver,
    Thanks for your response. I read the link but I am still confused. I realize that I can send a request via registered mail to opt out of the arbitration. I am unclear as to what the upside and downside are. If you can simply opt out by sending a letter to the Hyundai dealer, why do they make you sign it in the first place. If I do opt out, what is the downside? Is Hyundai still required to honor all of my warranty completely? The link did not make that clear. Is there any dealer or Hyundai reprisal for opting out of the binding arbitration?
    Please advise.
    I'm not a legal expert by any means, but here's my uneducated opinion.

I don't believe there's a downside to the consumer. In fact, by opting out of mandatory arbitration, you are restoring rights that would be otherwise limited. Your warranty is still in effect, you're just increasing your options under law.

By the way, the letter has to go to Hyundai USA, not the dealer. All the dealer does is sell you the car. Warranty issues go back to the importer/distributor/manufacturer.

If I'm wrong on this, hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in. To quote Charles Barkley, "I am often wrong, but I am never in doubt." ;)
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    Ask your Insurance Agent! - they normally should check the VIN # and what features you have on the car anyway.

Most Santa Fe's were equipped by the dealers with an additional key operated Ignition disarm feature (an add-on feature they try to make you pay extra $ for, of course!) as well as the standard Hyundai alarm system,that flashes on the top dashboard, that may be what they are referring to.

If so equipped, you should have an insertable plastic "key" (not the normal Ignition key) which is inserted into the "lock" under the dash below the steering wheel, which, when removed, does not allow the ignition to complete the circuit to start the engine.Therefore the engine is made in-operable unless the key is inserted.
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    Gee, lawyers recommending not to use arbitration. What a shock!
    It's probably safe to say I'm not a big fan of the legal profession, but they may have a point. Check this out:

http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourworld/law/articles/the_issue_can_mandatory_arbitrat- ion_clauses_in_nursing_home_contracts_be_waived_.html
  • jnojrjnojr Member Posts: 5
    I just got an '09 Limited with Navigation (which I did not want, but thanks to Cash For Clunkers, I had to take to get the color and interior I wanted... Deepwater Blue w/ black leather) and I had Bluetooth added.

I really, really like it so far. It's hard to not really goose the gas and have some fun (I'm trying to follow the manual's 500 mile "breakin" recommendation). I probably could have done perfectly well with a Tucson Limited, except for the gutless 2.7L engine. Once I tried the 3.3L, I was hooked.

So far, so good. Steering and brakes feel very good. I haven't "tested" the handling yet, but it too seems like it'll be perfectly adequate. My only problem is that I got a book for the wrong nav system, so I haven't been able to figure out the radio presets yet.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Congratulations on your new ride! Keep us posted on your experiences. You may be interested in sharing your thoughts on the cash for clunkers program in our Cash for Clunkers - Does it Work for You? discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • arthursimmons1arthursimmons1 Member Posts: 4
    Just brought 09 Santa Fe like it except varied noises when driving which I can live with just now. The fact that there is no backup system bothers me immensely. There should be a backup camera and or sensors. It makes no sense that it is not an option. Parking without seeing the bumpers is crazy. If they dont want to help they should have made it so aftermarket could help. If anyone has overcame this please let me know. Otherwise vehicle okay.
  • air2karlair2karl Member Posts: 16
    I just consulted my lawyer friend, and they feel it is unnecessary to opt out. They say, the chance for a lemon to happen for a new car is very slim and most often the manufacture would honor it. I really can't decide what to do. Plus, anyone knows cases that a new SF turns out to be lemon and has to be replaced. What is the odds of that? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • curiousalcuriousal Member Posts: 1
    Can this be fixed or do I have a lemon?
  • eebromeebrom Member Posts: 5
    Hi:

Hope this might be the right place to post my question.

So far, very happy with our new car -- seems to have all the bells and whistles, but...

The available car didn't have an OEM navigation/audio system installed so we took the dealer's offer of a Pioneer x710bt with bk/up camera, Sirius radio, iPod, usb,etc.

Does the car come with its own (10, I think) speakers and amplifier installed? I think so, because they seem to be there. But the lowest audio system sounds demonstrate the sub-woofer is not operating separately either through the Pioneer amplifier or the OEM amplifier. Installer person sort of gave imprecise answers when questioned about the lack of separate sub-woofer control from the head unit. He talked about difficulty of getting proper connectors, etc, but that everything should work fine.

Question: Does anyone know if the Pioneer x710bt can actually operate an installed oem sub-woofer independently? The Installation manual would suggest it can. So I wonder why they wouldn't have made the proper connections.

Any help appreciated before I go to ask more questions. Anybody used to hearing the full sound-spectrum knows when a separate sub-woofer isn't operating independently from the others.
    AFAIK, there is no subwoofer in a Santa Fe. There are four two-ways (one in each door) and two tweeters on the front door pillars. The Pioneer head unit has pre-outs to connect a subwoofer, but you'll have to add a sub w/box and an amplifier. Hope this helps.
    Hi denvertrakker:

My sales blurb says...

"Radio: Infinity Logic 7 AM/FM/6CD/MP3 Audio System
    Includes surround sound, (10) premium Infinity speakers: (2) 25mm front door-mounted tweeters, (2) 16cm front door-mounted woofers, (2) 16cm rear door-mounted coaxial speakers, (2) 10cm tailgate-mounted midrange speakers, (1) 20cm rear quarter-panel-mounted subwoofer and (1) 10cm dash-mounted center midrange speaker. 55W x 11 channel (605W Max.) Infinity external amplifier. Infinity supplies the Logic 55 W x 11 channel (605 Watt Max.) surround sound external amplifier and speakers. Autonet supplies the head unit."

So I am assuming the subwoofer is probably there, or should be. Then, according to the x710bt installation manual, there are instructions to connect straight through to a subwoofer or via the external amplifier.

So it's a bit baffling to me why the subwoofer should not be operating independently according to the head-controls -- that is, on the head-unit I can turn the subwoofer on or off, and there is no difference in the low audio. I can reverse the phase and level, and there is no difference in the low audio.

Sure, the low audio can be set powerful but it is like an ordinary good system with bass control, not the exceptionally distinct low audio from a separate, proper subwoofer.
    OK, I called the installation folks again, and it appears that to get the good, separate subwoofer sound he would either need to put in a separate amp wired specifically to the subwoofer, or rewire the inside of the Infinity amplifier. Of course, only the first option would be his sensible recourse. What the heck, for a couple of hundred bucks, I think it's worth the added enjoyment -- only I wish they had told me first.
    Sorry, you didn't mention that you had the Infinity system - that's a whole different animal. There is no need to do anything to the inside of the Infinity amp - a car stereo installer with the proper training and information should know about a device from Metra Electronics called a "differential convertor", which drops speaker level to line level for the amp, and supplies a "turn on" signal to the amp. This ONLY applies if you had the Infinity system originally. As far as connectors are concerned, the factory connector that originally supplied signal and turn on should be able to be re-used. I strongly suggest you find an installer who's comfortable with this - it can be a nightmare, especially since the Infinity system has problems of its own.
    Thanks so much, denvertrakker. Trouble is, the consumer, like me, has to become an expert (almost) in order to recognize an installer who really knows what he should know. Before I proceed I'll phone around to see if there might be someone who at least gives a better impression that they know what I'm wanting. It seems simple to me because the installation manual says that the Pioneer x710bt can be connected directly to a subwoofer without using an auxiliary amp -- or not, by a switch(screen press) on the head unit. I'm supposing their difficulty is using the Infinity amplifier separately for the subwoofer without interfering with the controls for balance and fade and level.
    "Trouble is, the consumer, like me, has to become an expert (almost) in order to recognize an installer who really knows what he should know. Before I proceed I'll phone around to see if there might be someone who at least gives a better impression that they know what I'm wanting."

A good start would be to look for a shop that's MECP certified (Mobile Electronics Certified Professional). Not a guarantee by any means, but certainly likely to be more knowledgeable.
    Thanks again, denvertrakker.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Just wondering if anyone has seen the new restyled 2010 Santa Fe on a dealer lot yet? I'm wondering if Hyundai added hinged glass in back like the Tucson has. Hinged glass would make all the difference in our garage with being able to access stuff in back like groceries, without needing the space behind the vehicle to swing the tailgate up.
  • ramos5ramos5 Member Posts: 5
    Hi every body ,I am new here. I am planing to buy a used 2009 santa fe 2.7 cc, I heard so many terrible stories about the transmission problems around the net ,pls some body tell me his or her honest opinion or any other problems u encountered while having a santa fe 2009 . tx for your help I would appreciate it :confuse: :blush:
  • dz302dz302 Member Posts: 26
    First off, don't buy the 2.7 liter engine, get the 3.3 liter. Much better engine, much better performance. We've had our 2007 SF for just over 3 years now, and never had any tranny trouble with it. It has 56,000 kms on it. (About 35K miles).
    Actually, other than a right lower ball joint(under warranty) we have had no trouble at all with our SF. Been a great vehicle so far. You only tend to here the bad stuff in this forum. Never when people AREN'T having any trouble. Kind of like no news is good news, if you know what I mean. I can tell you we love our SF and would buy another one in an instant.
    Tx for your replay:

Unfortunatly in my country the only option I have is the 2.7 engine .which is quite weak for such a heavy vehicle , the other choice I have is Kia Sorento 2009 , with 3.3 liter engine can u give me any advice on that , I would again appreciate any comment.
  • dz302dz302 Member Posts: 26
    Funny that the Kia gets the 3.3, but the Santa Fe only gets the 2.7. Consumer Reports gives the SF a good review and recommends it. Not so for the Kia Sorento.
    "Choppy and unsettled ride" and "Reliablity much worse than average" are some of the comments. Of course the final tally is up to you as to which you prefere. Test drive both and choose the one you like best. Take your time in doing so.
    Good Luck!
    thank u , I love the look of santafe and I know it is a great car but not with 2,7 engine as u also mentioned
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    I am looking for a good vehicle to tote my 2 large dogs, and the Santa Fe is one I am considering. I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

First, I read that some owners of the Hyundai Veracruz had complaints about the headlights - not being very good and also misaligned. What are the headlights like on the SF? I'm not getting any younger, and I need good visibility at night. ;)

Also, the SF does not have a backup sensor, so how easy is it to see out the back? Also, are there significant blind spots when passing or merging?

Anything else you could tell me about the pros and cons of the SF would be appreciated. I would probably like to have the SE version, but those are hard to find.
    Hi, Doggrandma,

Sorry to take so long to reply; just saw your message. We have the 2008 Santa Fe SE (it has larger wheels than the GLS and also automatic trans). The headlights are excellent (we have had poor headlight illumination in other cars, so we know good illumination when we see it, ha, ha!).

The backup lights on the Santa Fe, in our opinion, do not illuminate very well at all, so we installed a really good wired backup camera. Wireless would probably be fine, but we live in an area of much electronic "noise" from computers and cell phones, so the wired camera was a choice, as it eliminates interference. The backup camera is fabulous -- we can see all the way down the street when we backup in the daylight AND in the pitch dark. The 7-inch-wide color monitor is wonderful. Also, even when mounted on the dash, it does not obstruct view out the windshield. It is easy to pop off when parked to hide it from view of those morons who would break into your car to steal stuff.

We are volunteers in a Border Collie rescue transport mission, so I can assure you that the SE fits two medium crates (31" long x 22" wide x 24" high). They fit easily in the back, side-by-side, and a taller crate would fit, also, as there is plenty of headroom left above the 24" crate height. There is also plenty of room for the dog ramp, and a third dog would fit easily behind the front seats, if necessary.

By choice, we do NOT have the third seat option -- wanted the flat floor area for the dog crates. The crates might still fit with the third seat folded down, but I am not positive about that. Maybe someone else could comment.

We do not find that there are significant blind spots when passing or merging.

It is somewhat difficult to see out the back. However, with our backup camera left on all the time -- whether driving or backing up -- we have an absolutely perfect, wide-screen view of what's behind us all the time -- much better than the rear-view mirror. Our big fear has always been not seeing a small child behind the car in a parking lot -- the camera assures us that EVERYTHING is visible.

Good luck with your search! Mary Huber
    Thanks so much for the detaled reply. I appreciate it. I don't know if my spoiled dogs will ride in crates, but I do have safety harnesses for them that I would like to attach to a tether.

And God bless you for helping out with a rescue group. You must be good people. :)

Do you remember where you purchased your back up camera or what brand it is?
    Hi, doggrandma,

Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad to hear that your dogs are tethered in the car -- it keeps them safe, which is why we crate dogs when we are rolling down the road. Our dog is used to the crate -- we fed him in it for a long time so he got to love it, and we keep the door open on the house crate so he can come and go. It's his little "cave."

The only time the crate door is closed is when we're moving in the car -- and he just goes to sleep -- I would, too, on his crate mattress -- it's one of those memory foam jobs that I covered with heavy-duty cotton.

We seriously researched the best backup camera possible because we had one in the van that was useless. The one we bought is called 4UCam, available in wired (requires some serious installation) and wireless (easy to install). We purchased it from Amazon.com -- free shipping and no tax.

It is called the 4UCAM 7" LCD Truck RV Backup Rear View Camera with Color LCD monitor + Night Vision.

Priced at $229.95 -- and it got great reviews.

The description says it's for trucks and RVs, but many reviews we read said people use it in their SUVs with great success. When mounted on the dash, it does not block our vision.

Hope this info helps you!

Mary
    Thanks again. I may get this rear view camera for my son and his family. They have an SUV and small kids, so I worry about the possibility of what has become an all too frequent tragedy - little kids being hurt or killed when someone backs out of a driveway not knowing a child is behind the vehicle.

Our Lab might not mind the crate, but for some reason our GSP hates them!
    You're quite welcome. If you get the camera (or any backup camera) for your son and his family, remember that it's a wide-angle view camera. Therefore, remind them in the strongest possible terms that objects that appear on the screen are MUCH closer than you would think. As you are backing up, anything that appears on the screen must be evaluated for closeness. It's a question of getting used to it -- as it's the same issue with the side-view mirrors -- you see the same little warning on them.

One of our huge fears is backing into a small child in a parking lot -- too many parents tend to let their kids wander in a parking lot -- like it's a playground! -- or they're distracted with putting packages in their car and don't pay attention to the child. A parking lot is an extremely dangerous place for children -- so many of today's SUVs simply don't have a decent view out the back -- that's one of the main reasons we bought the camera -- it shows images right down to the pavement. Ours is mounted just above the license plate.

Good luck!

Mary
  • counselor4444counselor4444 Member Posts: 47
    I'm so aggravated. We bought two brand new 09 Santa Fe's this year. One is 2 months old and today the check warning light went on. I hope this isn't a sign of bad things to come.
  • counselor4444counselor4444 Member Posts: 47
    UPDATE: I brought it into our local dealership on Friday with 2660 miles on it. Turned out to be a faulty 02 sensor. It was replaced quickly and hassle free, all under warranty. From the above posts it sounds like there was a bad batch from the factory.
  • brink56brink56 Member Posts: 2
    I bought an '09 Santa Fe Limited in January, and I'm not entirely pleased with the Infinity system ((605-watt Infinity Logic 7 Surround Sound, In-dash 6-disc CD/MP3 Changer, 11-channel External Amp, IPod/USB, 10 Speakers). I like the interface and the steering wheel controls, the tuner, CD changer & XM receiver work fine, but the sound is just average, in my opinion. I'm thinking needs more low-end punch. I don't want to add an external enclosure, but would replace the sub-woofer that's there if it would help.

My 2000 Accord has a 10-year old Clarion RDX665Dz head unit and 4 Polk EX693A speakers, and it sounds great, better than what's in the Santa Fe, I think. I want to improve it, but not sure how to go about it. Will a better sub-woofer make a difference? Should I replace the other speakers too? Is the head unit a limiting factor? I don't want to rip out and replace everything, but I'm OK with spending a few hundred bucks to improve the output. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Denvertrakker, I hope you see this and have some ideas, I've read some of your posts, and you seem to know your way around the Santa Fe and car audio.

Thanks.
    Brink, I have no direct experience with the Infinity system, but you're the first person I've seen complain about the overall sound - everybody else has that annoying whine (which I presume you DON'T have). My feeling on OEM systems is that the weak link is always the speakers, not the head unit or the amp. If you really want more low end, my suggestion would be to add a bigger sub in an external box. I realize that's not what you wanted to hear, but your low end is limited (no pun intended) by the existing sub in the side panel. It's probably only a 6" - maybe an 8 - and it likely has no enclosure for it to work against. My call would be a 10" in a slot-load box. Stick with better brand names - I've had good experience with Memphis and Street Edge among lower-priced names, but there are a zillion decent ones out there.
  • brink56brink56 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestions Denver. I haven't heard the whine, fortunately. I should clarify what I said about low end punch: I guess there's enough power, but the bass is muddy and boomy. I want to feel it through the seat when it's cranked, but it should be crisp and clear. Although my experience is limited, I agree with your comment about OEM speakers. That's the first thing I'm going to look into. The Infinity package says it has 10 speakers, but I can't find the sizes of them in the manual or on the Hyundai website. I'll contact the dealer for more info. Any recommendations for installers in the St Louis area? The big chains (Best Buy, etc.) seem to have much of the market here.

Thanks very much for the input.
    First of all, I would not recommend you go to BB or anybody similar. You need a dedicated car sound facility, with installers who are certified by MECP (Mobile Electronics Certification Program). They have the knowledge and training to do it properly (and to make the correct recommendation. Don't bother asking the dealer, they probably won't have a clue.

Regarding your comment about wanting the bass to be "crisp and clear", let me change my recommendation for a box. A slot load box (otherwise known as "band pass") will give you MORE bass; a SEALED box will give you MORE ACCURATE bass - which is what it sounds like you're going for.

Given the fact that the Infinity is already an "upgrade", you really need the advice of a knowledgeable car stereo shop. You don't necessarily have to buy from them, but talk to them and see what they have to say. It may be that all you need is a sub+box, and not change-out the door speakers, if all you need is better bass.
  • tdysontdyson Member Posts: 5
    I just bought the Santa Fe SE FWD in Venetian Red. I was very skeptical about Hyundais (given their past performance) and never thought I'd buy one. After researching SUVs (this is my first one), I decided to give the SF a test drive --and ended up buying it that day. I thought for sure that I'd buy a Toyota RAV-4, but the SF impressed me, especially since the price of a brand-new SF SE was similar to that of a 2008 RAV-4 V6 but had a much better ride, more power, more cargo room and good fit & finish. So far, I'm pleased and I hope I will continue to be well into the future. All I can about Hyundai is "who knew?" Kudos to Hyundai for making such a huge turn-around in quality.
  • bainerbainer Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new (2010 ) Santa Fe limited AWD November 9 (3.5L). I have 3000 km on it so far, and the fuel consumption is horrible. Most of my driving has been highway, and the best I have had from a tank is 9.8L/100km, but average has been around 11.7. This is a long long way from the estimates. Anyone have any input?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.