Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

SUV gas mileage - Feel free to participate

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    He didn't say anything about Tahoe being 4WD. Tahoes come in AWD and RWD form.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, but then what's the point? ;)

Fit it too radical of a downsizing, I think you'll feel very cramped, even though it is space efficient for its size.

-juice
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,294
    you have to figure out how much you drive. can the difference between what you sell the tahoe for and what you buy be justified by gas? just buy a small car to bang around in and keep the tahoe.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    A friend traded in a Dodge Ram for a Honda Accord, and he drives a lot of miles (owns 2 properties about 3 hours apart). He said what he saves on gas is almost enough to make the whole car payment!

-juice
  • brown3brown3 Member Posts: 26
    In addition to my new Pathfinder, we also have an '06 Avalon. BIG difference between an SUV and the Avalon.

One reply included the statement:

"Toyota AValon is not much better on gas than the Tahoe"

You wrote you're getting 13 city/17 hwy with your Tahoe. Our Avalon is getting mid to upper 20's overall MPG in what I'd term "hill country suburban" driving. Pure highway is 30+. Judge for yourself if that's "not much better . . . "

Anyway, try and figure in ALL the costs when you're buying a new car . . . in my opinion, seldom will it pay to replace a decent vehicle with a new one just to improve fuel economy, once you figure in the additional cost, lost interest on your money, etc.
  • rknopp1rknopp1 Member Posts: 6
    Vehicle is based in Las Vegas, NV
    3500 city miles
    Max A/C (otherwise A/C won't cool if vehicle is driven slow or at a stop)
    running on #2 fan setting most of the time.

Overall so far 21.6 mpg
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Vehicle is based in Las Vegas, NV
    3500 city miles
    Max A/C (otherwise A/C won't cool if vehicle is driven slow or at a stop)
    running on #2 fan setting most of the time.

Overall so far 21.6 mpg

I feel bad for people who spent all that money on the Hybrid and get less in return than a simple gasser Honda CR-V gets.

2005 CR-V EX manual, 26 mpg city with no A/C, 24 mpg City with A/C on.
    Your idea of "city" is probably different from his. You sure you're not driving in the 'burbs?

-juice
  • tamarastertamaraster Member Posts: 107
    I get about 22 mpg in all city driving with my CR-V (mainly an 8-mile commute on normal streets to work every day). That's still as good as this report on the Escape Hybrid. Perhaps the Escape will improve as it gets broken in and/or when it's not so hot.
  • jimesqjimesq Member Posts: 7
    I own a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE. I am getting about 17-18 mpg in mostly city driving. On a pure highway trip I averaged just over 20 mpg. Hope this helps.
  • jg88jg88 Member Posts: 59
    Lately, just driving around town, not much highway driving, getting 15 mpg. Best highway mileage was just south of 20 mpg. Usually get 18-19 on the highway cruising @ 75 mph.

Overall combined average this year is 16 mpg.
  • daedae Member Posts: 143
    Since most SUVs give you the option to switch from 4x2 to 4x4 with a manual control knob, do you get the fuel economy as EPA posts (ex. 2005 nissan Pathfinder 16/23-4x2, 15/21-4x4)as a 4x2 when in the 4x2 mode?

No, as you still have to spin the transfer case gears, and the disconnected wheels still need to spin driveshafts and differential, unless you got manual hubs, even when disconnected at the transfer case.

Not as bad as a full time system with the center differential, but not as good as a 4x2.
  • timcobtimcob Member Posts: 3
    I only have my 07 FWD escape 2 weeks and have only gone 250 miles so far in mixed driving - 25 mile commute in the bay area. But so far my combined city/highway driving is 36.5 mpg. This coming from a K2500 Suburban where I got 10-11 mpg in similar conditions. With the tax credit my hybrid cost 300 less than the sticker of a similarly equipt V6. Without the credit the breakeven point over the V6 model is 34,000 miles @ $3 per gallon (that would be cheap around here).

Tim C
  • wmbigswmbigs Member Posts: 2
    The Suburban gets 18-20 highway. Jeep Commanche gets 17 town and 22-24 highway.
  • chitown777chitown777 Member Posts: 13
    I have a limited edition with 10k miles. I get about 21 mpg in the city
  • burbmanburbman Member Posts: 4
    Anyone driven one long enough to comment? I just bought one for my recent college grand and she loves it. Its not like my other Cherokees? This one drives like a dream. Just wondering what yall know about fuel rates.
  • thefullmontythefullmonty Member Posts: 3
    Best SUV ever made if you really USE an SUV (off-road, pack it, camp in it, the seats that turn into a bed are a nice touch for those heavy down-pour nights, load it up with gear and go) (from 2000 on, they're not the same). BTW, mileage is with vehicle over 100k miles.
  • spg5782spg5782 Member Posts: 7
    I have an 06 XLT 4 Dr 2.3L V6 Engine Ford Escape. I have a 20-25 mile one way commute I have drive 5 or 6 days a week. I mainly drive on the freeway, rarely city. I fill my tank every 4 days. I usually average 300+/tank. And in San Francisco, it usually cost me between $30-$35/tank. A friend of mine owns a Honda CRV and she does a lot of freeway driving and she told me her CRV averages about the same mileage and gas. Hope this helps.
  • seahorse1seahorse1 Member Posts: 9
    I recently bought a horse, so I'm selling my 2006 Prius to buy an SUV (not planning to haul a trailer, just equipment). Most of my daily driving is city with traffic (idling).

Based on real world MPG: Any suggestions on which SUV to go for? Don't want another hybrid they're not worth the extra cost for what you actually get -- but I'm just about convinced I'm gonna buy a 2008 2.4L 4 cyl Toyota RAV4 Sport.

I'd like to hear from other SUV owners out there if there are other models I should consider?
    Thanks! :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think most of the RAV4 owners will tell you to get the 6 cylinder for the extra pep, with not too much of a mpg hit. And for toting a bunch of horse tack around, my guess is that a 4 banger would struggle a bit. You gonna be hauling lots of bags of oats and stuff too?
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Two of my friends have RAV4's with the V6 and it seems to me to be about the best FE around with good "scoot" power. I was considering the HH but with the tax credits now gone, the extra cost would never be justified as far as economics are concerned.
    How heavy does the trailer get when it's fully loaded?

Honestly, I think a 4Runner would be better suited to that task.
    Thanks for the input, I'm not sure I need / want a 6 but will test drive both the 4 & 6 to be sure. The most feed I'd be hauling at one time would be two 50 # bags, so it's not like it's gonna be loaded with stuff.

If I could afford to feed it, I'd get a Tundra so I could also haul a trailer. But whatever I buy will be my every day vehicle, so no Tundra for now.
    Hi
    Not hauling trailer with this vehicle -- but depending on whether I got an aluminum or steel trailer, it'd probably be upwards of 5000# with horse on board.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If I could afford to feed it

Feeding a horse will definitely cramp your style when it comes to feeding a truck. ;)

There's 3 horses within a block of me - the owners all try to work some overtime now and then, lol. They all have trailers and big honking pickups too.
    No trailer, in that case you'll be fine.

Plus, if gas hits $8 per gallon you can just ride the horse to work. :D
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I have 2 of the best SUV's available.A 2004 Toyota Highlander V6 which averages
    21 mpg and a 2006 Honda CRV AWD EXL (wife's car) which only does slightly
    better at 22 mpg.On a trip the CRV does 27 mpg and the Toyota 24 mpg.I think
    the CRV is slow when merging but the Toyota is fast by comparison.One thing
    I wish the CRV had is Automatic Climate control it is not even offered.If I could only
    keep one it would be the Highlander cause of better everything.Of course it's MSRP
    was $36k vs the CRV at $26k.You get what you pay for.If I could have gotten another Highlander for $26k I would have.
    You can get a very, very basic Highlander for that sort of price.

Lemme do a quick check...fitzmall.com has them for as little as $25,581. Of course that's FWD and not many options...
  • idahoidaho Member Posts: 4
    :) After the first 1500 miles I consistently get 18.5 mpg around town. Haven't had it on a trip yet so not sure what the highway mileage will average.
    It's just a matter of time until I get the trailer -- & the truck. I've had two Silverados in the past will likely take a look at them again when the time comes. For now I'm begging friends or hiring a professional hauler to move my horse when needed....
    :D
    If only I had a place to park him at work, I'd ride my horse there now!
    :)
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    idaho,

Please keep us informed on your mileage as well as the type of driving.

I'm considering a Pathfinder 4WD.

Thanks,
    Kip
  • jg88jg88 Member Posts: 59
    Gas mileage on recent 3,500 mile round trip: 17.2. This includes one tank in a city where we got 14.5. This is a 4x4 EB with the 5.4 engine. Mostly set the cruise @ 70 mph. Full load with 4 passengers and a lot of luggage/gear.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    City MPG is around 31.

Highway MPG @ 65 is around 32 MPG.

This current tank is all in town, presently at 33 MPG.
  • faisal56faisal56 Member Posts: 2
    hey i got a same kind of expedation bt idk for sme reason i dnt get same kind of milage u get. i have a 5.4 engin 2.
    peak: 34 mpg
    low: 22 mpg
    avg: 24-26 mpg usually, with mostly around town driving

Took a trip and in a friendly competition my wife got 30.0mpg in one direction, while I only managed 27.0mpg coming back on the same path.

Maybe I was going uphill. ;)

She'll probably never let me hear the end of it. :D
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    I just noticed this forum - I have an almost 1 year old new Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8 and did a bunch of extensive testing on the Jeep Grand Cherokee Real World MPG forum last winter/spring using both regular gas and E85. I am a prior Jeep owner and needed 4wd for MN winter country driving and also to pull a medium sized boat trailer. I have been happy with both Jeeps over the past 8 years (good quality despite problems some have had with the brand mostly in the 99-00 models). My concern before purchasing this was mpg so I'd done a cost of ownership analysis for other mid sized SUVs like Highlander Hybrid, Saturn Outlook, Hyndai Veracruz assuming gas would be $5 by 2011 and the Jeep won hands down. Of course we are headed to that price earlier than 2011 but I'd also hoped perhaps optimistically the US would get it's act together on price competitive cellulosic ethanol in 5 years. Here is summary of mpg for those who do need this type of vehicle:

Gas- on a fairly level stretch of I-90 and in 40 miles got 20.0 mpg (no wind, not using AC). In Wisconsin where the interstate is 65mph I actually drove that speed and got 22mpg. I get around 14-15 in what I'd call summer suburban driving. [Winter using remote start warmups drops to 13mpg in the city].

E85- MPG varies from around 13 in town to 17 on a hilly 60mph 2 lane road.
    I got 16mpg 70 mph freeway that measured earlier at 19mpg w/gas which works out to 16/19 or 16% less than gas. Net: I am slightly ahead with E85, 8% savings or on a $150/mon gas bill I save $12. Not a big deal and still harder to find stations.

If you want more details see posting 85-86 of the above mentioned Jeep forum
    naatz1, "Jeep Grand Cherokee Real World MPG" #76, 2 Dec 2007 3:26 pm
    Oh yes, you can get super deals on these now even $1-2k lower than the Chrysler supplier discounts and rebates we got last Fall, so if you -need- it for safe winter driving and your hobbies (boat or camper pulling, backroad hunting) don't give up.
  • sam914sam914 Member Posts: 1
    You should use the Horse Power, since you bought a Horse!!!!
    City, 31.5 MPG
    Highway @ 68 MPH, 33.3 MPG
  • arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    Someone in Edmunds message moderation please make separate topics for real full size SUVs and toys, like Ford Escape. Escape should not even be mentioned under SUV topics as it is not much bigger than a Toyota Corolla.

Make topics for 8, 6 and 4 cylinder SUVs separate so we don't need to be reading smart a.. comments/posts of small toy truck drivers under the real full size SUV topics.

In my opinion Ford Escape is not a SUV. It is like raised up Dodge nitro.

Arrie
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We already have individual gas mileage topics for each make and model (about 360 of them). This Forum simply compares them. At an average posting rate of about five per week in this topic, I don't think many will have difficulty distinguishing the "toys" from the "real thing." :)

Nevertheless, we are open to comments from others regarding a split.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    SUVs come in various sizes and perform various duties. While a 2wd Expedition is quite large, and will comfortably carry a greater number of people, doesn't make it any more of an SUV ( "Real thing" ) than a smaller one. In reality, it is not a true SUV at all. It is in reality nothing more than a tall large station wagon. ;)

A friends Expedition with it's 5.4 liter V8 simply will not go some of the places that our much smaller 4WD CR-V will, with it's 2.4L 4 cylinder. Our CR-V won't do the same job as our son's Grand Cherokee, with it's very sophisticated 4WD system.

To say the largest are true SUV and the smaller are simply toys is like saying only Great Danes and other dogs that size are "true dogs" while the smaller Pit Bull, Rottweiler, and German Shepherds are not. :sick:

True SUVs were designed to extend to family haulers the ability to carry more people and gear, more comfortably on and off road than units such as the Jeep Wrangler and a couple of others. Emphasis on Utility. Although Jeep introduced some earlier "SUV" models, before the phrase "Sport Utility Vehicle" became popular, the Cherokee was by far the most popular. It's drive train was pretty much identical to that of the Wrangler sized Jeeps. Many came with 4 cylinder engines.

A big roaring V8 doesn't make a vehicle more of an SUV. Smaller size doesn't make one a "Toy". It is simply more efficient at certain jobs.

Maybe we need to toss out anything that is not a 4WD, instead of discriminating because of size. :shades:

Kip
    "In my opinion Ford Escape is not a SUV. It is like raised up Dodge nitro."

I suspect you drive a large body-on-frame SUV. I'm a bit surprised you compared a Ford product to a Dodge product. :confuse:
    "We already have individual gas mileage topics for each make and model (about 360 of them). This Forum simply compares them. At an average posting rate of about five per week in this topic, I don't think many will have difficulty distinguishing the "toys" from the "real thing."

Nevertheless, we are open to comments from others regarding a split. "

Well, here is my comment. When the manufacturers stop calling them SUVs, then people should stop posting here. The auto companies now use the term CUV when it is in fact a Crossover, but they still call my Escape (and the CR-V, and the RAV4, as examples) SUVs.

I suppose you could make three discussions: small, medium, and large SUV gas mileage. That would be fine with me, and might narrow the comparisons for people interested in mileage.

I almost asked that person who complained if he/she drove a huge SUV by him/herself, and was getting the usual 10 MPG city / 16 highway. But I chose not to pose that question... :surprise:
  • arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    I guess I have not been reading all topics but I have not seen anything else than "SUV gas mileage, feel free to participate".

Yes, I drive a full size Tahoe. In my opinion it is waste of time and topic space to compare 4 cylinder "toy trucks" to full size trucks under the same topic. We all know, I hope, what for example Ford Escape use a lot less fuel than a Tahoe. Why talk about them under the same topic.

I always thought that this forum site is meant to be helping the users. It would help much better if there was only full size SUVs under one topic, middle size under another and small ones under their own so people interested of hearing others of what they have done to help fuel mileage could benefit from it. Now it is just a big mess under one topic and all I see the small toy truck drivers bragging about their 30+ MPG performance on those 4 cylinder engines. Go pull a 20 ft trailer with it and see how it does... Tools and toys are separate issues.

Myself I would be interested hearing from other full size SUV drivers what they have done for gas mileage improvement or what they think about it but current "Feel free to participate" topic does not serve for this.

It would be very good if there was Full, Mid and Small size SUV topics, i.e. for 8, 6 and 4 cylinder engines.

Arrie
    The numbers of big body-on-frame SUVs are dwindling so quickly this topic would get no traffic.

Sorry but that's the plain truth.
    >"Ford Escape use a lot less fuel than a Tahoe. Why talk about them under the same topic."

For the sake of comparison.

>"It would help much better if there was only full size SUVs under one topic, middle size under another and small ones under their own so people interested of hearing others of what they have done to help fuel mileage could benefit from it."

For those like yourself, there is a Tahoe Real World MPG forum. If that isn't good enough, you can start your own thread within this forum or even start a new forum. You could entitle it Real world MPG for Large Gas Guzzling SUVs Only.

You could go even farther and in the first post list the Vehicles and equipment that are allow to participate.

Go for it. ;)

Kip
    :D

Then they'd be too embarassed to post at all.

Having said that MotorWeek just tested the Durango hybrid. They got 19mpg. Their Tahoe hybrid managed 20 mpg.

$45 grand for the Durango hybrid, and $50 grand for the Tahoe hybrod. Ouch.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Just came across this thread and see arguments about full size and toys. Well, for me I am indeed interested in all the different models. I drive a FULL size SUV but watch regularly what the smaller ones are doing. I need to tow 3500# (not all that much, just my tractor or jet skis), I need 4wd (live on a hill in snow "at times" country) and I wanted size to haul the family (8 on vacation). The Expedition does that for me. However, I would give my Expedition to my kids who don't commute far, if I find a suitable smaller SUV that has good FE. So far only the hybrids and diesels look desirable and with the price of diesel, the Escape looks like it's on my short list. For 90% of my driving (like many people) I don't need a SUV. I want to have at least one large one in the family but it needs to be where it is needed the least.
    The Chevy 20mpg offerings is a good step, but I'm looking for a giant leap.
    Before you make a purchase, do yourself a favor and investigate the Honda Pilot.
    DRIVE ONE !

It is rated to tow 4500# and seat 8 people. The 4WD models are primarily FWD but the rear wheels kick in if the front slips. This is done with electric clutches. If real slippery the two rear wheels can be locked together with a button, for super traction at low speeds.

Our 03 (with 4WD) is great on gas, considering it's size. It doesn't have the variable displacement feature like the newer ones. It runs on 6 cylinders all the time.

I'm a conservative driver. Locally the Pilot delivers 17-19 mpg. On the road the mileage varies with speed.

A trip of nearly 400 miles with 4 people and luggage at 80+ mph yielded 18 mpg.
    Return trip the next day with the same load but at 60-65 mph yielded 26+ mpg.

A round trip of nearly 1100 miles at 60+ MPH with me and the wife yielded 27+ mpg. I was really trying hard for mileage on this one.

Most trips at 70 MPH with the two of us and AC generally averages 23-24 mpg.

Yeah, I realize that is considerably more than the EPA ratings. But we get it. Odometer is correct within 1%.

Just drive one. :)

Kip
This discussion has been closed.