Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Questions

Comments

• johnnybravo4johnnybravo4 Member Posts: 2
    There is a pump behind the passenger side battery?
    Question is this suppose to stay on all the time?
    What is it and what does it do.
  • houdini52houdini52 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am having almost similar problem with my 04 3500 suddenly dying at freeway speeds and/or stop light and can't seem to find an answer. It always starts right up but I never know when it's going to shut down. On one occasion it took 6 attempts to start. Each time running a couple of seconds and dying until 6th try kept running. If you don't mind sharing what you find out with me it would be greatly appreciated. All my best. Dale detailsbydale@yahoo.com
  • ddwcddwc Member Posts: 5
    i dont know what your problem is but i have similar problems nobody can tell what it is mine cuts out at any speed even at idle its getting worse i just shut it down and hope it starts sometimes its takes 2or 3 times to crank backup but it straightens up runs fine but i can always predict when its fixing to scew up its starts running better few days later it screws up hadnt found that right shop or mechanic to tell whats theproblem im about ready to hash it out with dodge and tell them to either fix or buy it 2003 -2500 cummins allstock buy the way i get about 7-9 codes from brand new ecm same codes from old ecm
  • dieselbaddieselbad Member Posts: 3
    Thanks. When this first started, I checked with the local Atlantic Cummins shop, who said that they did not have the Diagnostic Computer Codes (starting in 2003) to work on it. Right now, I'm waiting to hear if my car insurance company will pay (good luck, huh); but they say the entire fuel system has to be replaced. Which I can do myself, but I'm back to being held hostage by 2 Chrysler dealerships. I'll check into algae remover additives; all I want to do is get it running and get rid of it. WRT other questions asked, I can only answer w/ my symptoms. When the vehicle is hard to start on cold mornings, it could be the lift pump which if unchecked will cause the common rail pump to fail. Recommend adding a electric (keep fuel out of cabin) fuel pump gauge to monitor the lift pump. Also FASS makes a lift pump with 2 extra fuel filters, same cost as stock. Either way add a separate fuel water separator filter. WRT engine stalling, missing and smoking - symptons of my common rail pump failing. BullyDog makes a electronic display system that monitors alot of items (incl. high pressure fuel output) for about $600.00. WRT engine shutting off, remove the fuel filter housing top and verify the color of the fuel. Diesel fuel new, is skyblue. If the fuel is yellow or green, it is contaminated. Does anyone know if it is possible for the fuel injectors, to replace parts of it (say tips that are water contaminated?
  • truckfindertruckfinder Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a Dodge Ram. I have only owned non-diesel Dodge trucks up until now. I am trying to find a website that can help tell me the value of some of the trucks I am looking at. I have always used KBB to get an idea of the valule, but I am unable to find anything that tells me about diesels. Any help would be greatly apprecitated
  • ramchargerramcharger Member Posts: 21
    That is your vacuum supply pump. It will run most of the time the key is on. It will quit if no vac. is needed.
  • bb5862bb5862 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 ram 2500 diesel, automatic transmission. The engine runs fine, but it dies when you put it in revese or drive. When you do get it to run it runs great on the road and does not die. Has a new lift pump, ecm checks ok, STUMPED
  • nuts4koinuts4koi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ram 2500 that recently developed a problem. When I first start it, it will take 3-5 minutes for the volts to come up above 14. If I try to drive it before it has reached 14 volts, there is white smoke that comes from the exhaust (like a cold start) and there is no power. There are also times, especially when I maintain a constant speed, the power will drop off, and the rpms fall. If I put the clutch in and put my foot on the floor, white smoke comes out of the exhaust and then the engine picks back up. Any Ideas?
  • lconnelllconnell Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2009 Dodge 3500 with a blown engine with 148,000 miles on it. Dodge will only pay half of the replacement engine. How common is this? Where can I find info on the number of 6.7 liter engines have failed?
  • cummins123cummins123 Member Posts: 1
    have you checked you fuel filter yet, when you do , change it and buy a couple of them to keep with you
    How do you change the fuel filter on a 2004 Dodge 3500? Have not done this on my own. Do I risk getting air in the line if done improperly?
  • grizwald1grizwald1 Member Posts: 3
    What causes the P1389 code, no communications between the PCM and the Automatic Shut Down relay, and how do you clear it?
  • jcarrizalesjcarrizales Member Posts: 2
    any one have this problem I got a 2001 whit a 5.9 cummins when is cold start good after run for a while turner off , try to start aguien take little while to start try to shift on gear and die on me also when accelerate on park blow white smoke, any help on that thanks.
  • ssaarissaari Member Posts: 5
    check to see if head gasket is leaking water could be the reason for the white smoke
  • piano_man49piano_man49 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Dodge 2500 with the diesel and automatic trans has erratic torque convertor lockup and unlock that I believe is caused by RFI. Please tell me more about this problem and how to isolate the cause.
  • splinter19splinter19 Member Posts: 1
    have you figured out the problem my 2000 ram 3500 is doing the same thing. now i have stacks right behind the cab straight piped and i noticed when in drive or reverse with your foot on the brake completely stoped it idles up.
  • nano74nano74 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 was the same and we notice the fuel leak. I changed out all the steel fuel lines and the problem was actually the "O-ring". I haven't had anymore problems with a hard start since. My hard start started with 1/4 tank fuel and when we replaced the lines it was at just under the full line I would start haveing the hard starts.
  • shorbshorb Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 Cummins and had to replace the transfer pump and injection pump. The transfer pump stock one should only cost u 200 tops. Bad thing is the injection pump is aluminum and is lubricated by your fuel so if your transfer pump goes out 99% of the time it will score your injection pump and u have to replace it also. An injection pump runs around 1100 bucks. My advice is to put a FASS transfer pump on cause the stock ones are junk they don't keep up and if u chip them, u might as well forget it. The transfer pump was the one big flaw with those years of Cummins. I went through it and it sucks. Also get a fuel pressure light put in so u can tell when your fuel pressure is low and u can get off the throttle and save your injection pump.
  • shorbshorb Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 Cummins with a Bully Torque Dog chip, 65hp. I was wondering if I can stack a Superchip Flashpaq Tuner with it? And if so do i need to get bigger injectors? I have a FASS system on it and know it will keep up and I don't plan on running both chips on high, just for racing purposes not everyday driving.
  • cumminsman123cumminsman123 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    i have a 01 2500 cummins and have never had any problems but i was drivng to work last night and it just died it would not start back so i unpluged my quadzilla chip and plug it back in still nothing after bout 4 time it started so i took off and noticed my check engine light was on my rpms were not registering and i had no power at all so i pulled back over completely removed the chip and put the truck back to factory but no change still no power at all check engine light is on and the rpms are not registering any one got any answers
  • cumminsman123cumminsman123 Member Posts: 2
    i posted comment741 with a problem and i found out that some how my camshaft sensor come unpluged dont know how but its fixed
  • dieselbaddieselbad Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! After replacing the lift pump, then common rail pump, then told the fuel is contaminated and tank/fuel lines had to be purged, then the fuel injectors were bad, then the common rail pump was bad again, then they found contaminated fuel again - I now have the truck sitting in my driveway; dead as a door nail. It appears that the Dodge Technicians only know what to replace when the computer tells them, and if it is wrong, pass it on to the consumer. As someone who has worked in the Software industry (Systems Engineer, Software Developer, Software Tester); computerized systems (unless it involves someone dying) are not throughly tested as it is too expensive. If the computer is right 70% of the time, the system is produced. So now I'll get the bad fuel inspected, using Atlantic Cummins Fleetguard Go/No Go fuel testor, then figure out what to do. Chrysler Star network says to replace all fuel components - again for $12K. Anyone got a totaled 2003 - 2006 Ram Diesel for sell cheap? :lemon:
    Any info/sources to convert my diesel 3500 to diesel?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Give this discussion a look: Biodiesel/WVO in HD diesel pickups

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • brncntrybrncntry Member Posts: 1
    I have an '01 3500 Cummins Dodge. Recently had the clutch replaced. Now, the truck makes a sound like a loose bicycle chain in 6th gear, and at times (especially when towing) makes a horrible clanking, clattering sound, kind of like a metal fan blade would, only a lot louder. We've checked the universal joint and it seems solid. Anybody care to take a shot?
  • EventerEventer Member Posts: 4
    My 03 3500 is blowing alot of black smoke when the pedal is punched. I had an E-test done and the truck failed badly. I checked for any codes and P0837 Four Wheel Drive (4WD) Switch Performance / Rationality came up. Does this code have anything to do with the smoke? I had the injectors changed within the year. Is there anything else I should check or change?
    Black smoke is unburned diesel fuel reaching the exhaust. Somewhere in the fuel delivery to the engine, it's giving more fuel than the engine wants. Have those injectors checked for leaks, along with the fuel rail and fuel pumps.

Thx for the advice. I have put $19800 into my truck since I bought it new in 03.
    The truck has 270K on it. I have done the front end 3 times, 6 injectors($7500 with diagnostic ), fuel pump, rear end, plus regular maintanence, is this normal for an 03. One of my trailer deliverers ( if that is a word )has 1.2 million miles on the same year of truck and says he has changed the injectors once and the front end twice. What am I doing wrong??? I love the engine but it looks like another expensive repair. I would like to keep the truck, but how much more am I going to have to spend? Unfortunately my truck is only worth $10K on trade. Do I buy a new Ram??? A freind of mine bought a new one last year and is having troubles with his truck.
    Hard to say. I have an 05, and it's been trouble-free for 5+ years.

For your engine work (since you're out of warranty), I'd recommend a Cummins shop - sometimes they have a better handle on an engine that they see all the time.

• ssaarissaari Member Posts: 5
    I have a 350 with the 5.9 when I bought it dealer redid the front end etc.
    I personally have had any problems at all, I bought it used in 07 I can`t complain on this truck mind you I 150,000 KMS on it
    I talked to my local Cummins shop and they said they would be able to plug in. Any thing newer than an 03 they would need a dealer to run a diagnostic on it before they looked at it. How long of a warranty should there be on my new injectors? I guess what I am asking is, do I take the truck back to the dealer to do the diagnostic and hope it is an injector (if that is the problem) and hope it is still under warranty or just bite the bullet and take it to the Cummins shop? Is your 05 for sale? HaHa
    If the dealer did the injector replacement, yes, bring it there to be checked. Once you have the diagnosis and estimate, then call the Cummins shop and see if they can do better before you authorize any work to be done.

• archangeltxarchangeltx Member Posts: 1
    Can't figure out why the 10 amp mini buss fuse labeled engine under the dash keeps blowing. Put a meter across it and it registered almost 15 amps across the contacts. Fuel pump and auto shut down relays check ok. Wire fron fuse block to ingnition switch is ok. Engine will turn over but not start. Was running great and them BAM!! No start. 1995 Doge 2500 4x4, 5.9C Cummins Turbo Diesel with 215,103 miles. Any Ides?
  • khigginbothamkhigginbotham Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 2500 dodge with cummins. When I am going around 40 to 45 MPH and not gaining or losing speed I feel a cut out. Its like it is jumping in and out of gear. Doesn't feel like an engine miss. Any thoughts on this.
    NEVER post personal contact information in the forums. They are visible to the entire internet. This is noted in the Membership Agreement (link at the bottom of the page).

• szuehlszuehl Member Posts: 2
    I can drive for 2 or 300 miles............ the truck runs great. all of a sudden you lose power when you press the foot feed. the truck never dies, if i shift down it picks up again. i have always changed fuel filter. I had the lift pump changed. never has the check engine lite or any other light come on to indicate a problem. when i check the p codes i get p1639, 0522, 0216. I can't find these codes listed. the truck has 85000 miles on it. it is a quad cab 6 speed manual transmission. it seems like something shuts the fuel down or something won't advance.
  • planbinplanbin Member Posts: 2
    I had the problem with my 04 2500 @ 289,000 Miles A new TPS Fixed the problem

Hope this helps
  • szuehlszuehl Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response. Now what is a TPS.
    Throttle Position Sensor.

• gxploregxplore Member Posts: 3
    I have an 04 Dodge Diesel with approx. 200k miles. Recently it began loosing power when the fuel level reached 1/3 - 1/4 tank. It acts like it is starving for fuel. I have maintain the truck through out its life and changed the fuel filters regularly. Believing that I got some bad fuel I changed the fuel filter several times and treated the system with Sea Foam but the problem still persist. Any ideas?
    You need to check the lift pump. (The in-tank fuel pump didn't start until the 2005 model year.)

Any idea why the problem only occurs when the tank is 1/3 - 1/4 full?
  • crittersdadcrittersdad Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 dodge cummins diesel. In hot weather I feel that the ac should be blowing out colder air than what it is. I bought one of those refill kits, located what I believe is the low pressure port on the passenger side front corner of the engine compartment however the fitting on the can is too small for the port. Am I in the wrong spot or is it even possible for the do it yourselfer to perform this task?
  • red777red777 Member Posts: 22
    97 Ram, 3/4 ton Cummins. Cut down the fuel plate years ago, aftermarket air filter, 4" from downpipe to cab then 5" pipe into 5" stacks. My issue is my EGT's. . . in town NOT towing i run around 600 degrees. Just got in from a 2 hour trip on the interstate up and down hills, no extremely long grades, and on every hill im running 1000 topping out. Took it off cruise for a while and ran it off my foot, get it spooled up at the bottom pushing alot of air and still having to throttle down to keep the EGT's under 1200. Ran the truck at 800 degrees the entire time. These temperatures are all with no load, i don't even want to mention what they are pulling my log trailer. Need ideas, suggestions. . . anything.

Rear gear is 3.54, automatic transmission and i think that is all the info on the truck. Thanks ahead of time.
  • hooveyhoovey Member Posts: 1
    I just got an 02. 2500 5.9 cummins and when I try to accelerate I have to floor it, it down shifts and then will accellerate again.are there more than 1 fuel filter because I just changed it.
    As the lift pump tries to pull the fuel from the tank, it can lose pressure as the fuel level drops (trying harder to get what's left). This is usually the first sign that it's starting to wear out - once you start stalling from total loss of fuel pressure, it's dead and needs to be replaced pronto.

Thans. I will give it a try and let you know.
  • ship660ship660 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find what the problem was? I have one doing the exact same thing. Same codes and acts the same way. Seems like when you push the accelerator it surges and won't hold any steady rpm.
  • 73charger173charger1 Member Posts: 3
    i have installrd a flex a lite electric fan and when fan comes on it makes the truck shutter like it does when the intake heater cycles and also if you cut ac on it will do it worst
  • 73charger173charger1 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 07 2500 and it does the same thing and has done it since day one