Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Questions

Comments

• dieseldemon1dieseldemon1 Member Posts: 1
    You are at the wrong port the port you want is at the back by the air cleaner 134A only
  • crittersdadcrittersdad Member Posts: 2
    what do you mean by 134A only?
  • geetmonkeygeetmonkey Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2010
    1997 3500 4X4 diesel Automatic and I have this scenario: Out of the blue, my truck will softly go into gear but it will not move forward nor backward. When you accelerate (while in gear) the RPMs run as if you are holding down (locking) the brakes as the truck tries to move, but can't. If you floor the accelerator it will creep forward as if something was holding it back. Does anyone out there know these symptoms?? Any help is greatly appreciated!! Relays were checked. Front and Rear bands have just been adjusted.
  • truckeron48truckeron48 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    I need a detailed list of the Cummins Turbo Diesel 360 engine's specifications. Particularly the bearing diameter. I'm pressed for time, so please help me!
  • truckeron48truckeron48 Member Posts: 2
  • gnewmangnewman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 3500 5.9 cummins and have had nothing but trouble since buying this truck 3 mo ago. trans hung up in 5th went to shop that was recommended in there for a wk and 2,000. dollars later ran it for 2 wks same thing again back to same shop wound up having to replace top plate everything worked good for about 3 days now it jumps out of 5th and only goes into reverse when it takes a notion. HELP Please
  • firedog23firedog23 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    i have a 2002 but 01 body style with cummins the truck is bucking and show engine codes i know what the codes are but dont know what they mean or what to look at
    :sick: the engine codes are p1698- no buss msg received from pcm
    p1693 MLT FLT in companion module
    p1694 no engine buss message received

HELP PLEASE THANK YOU
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Your PCM (Powertrain Control Module, aka computer) is not communicating. You either have a wiring issue at the PCM or a computer that's about to die.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • thegnwthegnw Member Posts: 1
    I had an '04 2500 with, what sounds like, the same problem. It turned out to be the shift governor inside the Trans. If you drop the pan, it's not too hard to replace.
  • pirklepirkle Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem on my 2000 3500 I disconnected both neg battery cables for one minute resets computer If this corrects problem then install a 30$ BD diesel noise isolater per instructions Good luck Mine now works fine
  • sbellsrsbellsr Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 2500 Dodge diesel with an automatic transmission. At times it will shift back and forth when it is in the final gear. I have disconnected the battery cables and reset the TPS. It seemed to work for a while but the problem re occurred. This time I replaced the TPS and the there was no problem for about 2 weeks. It has started again. What should be my next step?
  • sbellsrsbellsr Member Posts: 4
    What is the BD noise isolater?
    You may want to try the Dodge Ram Transmission Problems discussion, as this one is intended for problems with the Cummins engine itself.

• greasymotorgreasymotor Member Posts: 5
    i have a 98' 5.9 cummins and i need to replace the pedal position sensor its a tough part to get ahold of but i also need to know where to look for it on the truck (this needs to be done ASAP!!! and i don't have a manuel) PLEASE HELP!!!
    thanks!
    you can also turn that on / off manuelly in the mean time
  • oly2oly2 Member Posts: 10
    If you are talking about the CLUTCH PEDAL POSITION SWITCH it is mounted on the clutch master cylinder push rod. I hope this helps.
  • wheels20wheels20 Member Posts: 3
    I have a late 04 3500dualy,it has an electrical draw,with a test light between batt. post and clamp there is a pulsing draw,and when the stereo amp(factory)fuse is pulled the the test light gets brighter (draw increases) as it is still pulsing. I haven't put a scanner on it yet but pulsing draw?
  • wheels20wheels20 Member Posts: 3
    sorry Beardadpsp,I didn't notice that my question was answering your post,anyway I have the late 2004 3500 dualy with the draw that pulses and when you pull the stereo amplifier fuse the pulse goes faster and brighter.
  • axle1axle1 Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the input on a tranny kcram. Now I found one to buy but it came for Phoenix and I am questioning the heat down there if it would wear out the turbo or pistons faster. Is there any way to check this before buying. Plus 90% chance that is was city driving (carfax shows it registered in Phoenix all of its life) and the heat isnt good for diesels is it. It has 33,000 miles.
  • kenenderskenenders Member Posts: 2
    i have a 92 power ram 350 4x4 cummins with a getrac 360 that pinched third im wondering if a mv4500 will bolt up to the bell housing and transfer case before i order it HELP....PLEASE
    If the truck was maintained, the outside temperature won't affect it. I have a number of friends who are Cummins owners in Arizona, and they have not reported any heat-related engine problems. A good diesel mechanic can determine if the engine has suffered any abuse, so as you would with any used vehicle, get a trusted mechanic to check it out.

• rdd2121rdd2121 Member Posts: 1
    DOES A 2500 CUMMINS DIESL 95 HAVE 2 FUEL FILTERS I AM LOSING POWER I CHANGED THE ONE IN FRONT BUT I WAS TOL THERE IS ONE UNDER THE STARTER?? PLEASE HELP
    THANK YOU
  • 11bear11bear Member Posts: 1
    where is the chip located
  • mopar1254mopar1254 Member Posts: 1
    i want to put a cummins in my 95 2500 4x4 ram what do i have to do? and are the trannys the same the motor is out of a 91 350 power ram 4x4
    I have a 2006 cummins and I was wondering if I were to install a cold air intake (S&B) and took out the cat. converter if that would be enough for more power, I like the factory sound and don't want it loud. Is the Hypertech programmer worth a look at as well. Thanks.
  • lovehate2lovehate2 Member Posts: 4
    I also have a 2006 ram 3500, 73000mi, man tranz (6 spd). I have installed k&n intake filter and Magnaflow 4 in. SS exhaust -cat back only. (Summit racing ~$370 + sh). The sound is just a touch nicer than the factory to my ears. also has a little more (Louder) reasonance at 65 on the highway when under load. I often have load on or pull a goosneck trailer so I use my truck for what it was designed for and I not only have never wanted for more power than the engine can provide. I still average better than 22 mpg , with unloaded tops out around 27mpg with these minor changes to the intake and exaust system. My rig weighs in at around 7000# + normaly. If you take out the cat you will probably increase the sound level considerably and pesonaly I like not smelling the normal stink of diesel without it. I have seen HP cats but don't know if they reduce back pressure any better than stock.
    Don't know much about programing or chipping, interested to hear what you find in that area but only to increase milage.
    good luck,
  • ramenlaverniaramenlavernia Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 04 RAM 5.9 CUMMINS WITH 240000 MILES IS BURNING OIL THE ENGINE SOUNDS GOOD JUST A LITTLE NOCK IN THE HEAD ,IT STARTS GOOD AND STILL HAS THE SAME POWER WHEN PULLING,THE SMOKE THAT COMES FROM THE BREATHER LINE SMELLS LIKE BURNING OIL AND THE FUMES FROM THE EXHAUST IT SMELLS JUST LIKE DIESEL ANY SUGGESTION. THANK YOU.
  • pedro14pedro14 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    when my 97 dodge 2500 4x4 cummings starts and is cold the voltage cycles from 12.2 to 13.8 until the truck warms up. Is this normal. you can hear the change. I read that the intake manifold heaters cycle, but i have burned through 2 napa batteries in 18 months. The alternator is 4 years old and is also napa. Does it sound like something is wrong
  • longranger1263longranger1263 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 Dodge with 5.9 cumming and auto. I was traveling normally and without warning the truck shut off and would not restart. Checked and found no fuel pressure from lift pump. and put scanner on the truck.. Trouble code P1688 was set. I ordered and replace the fuel pump and now have good fuel pressure to injector pump. I can reset the code but it resets when I try to stsrt... Help please
    The cycling is normal (yes, it's caused by the intake heater), and lasts about 3 minutes.

If you're going through batteries that quickly, you need to check for a drain somewhere, or make sure you have sufficient amp ratings (never use less than 750 CCA).

I have an 06 cummings and every now and then i will get a puddle of something on the floor. I cant tell want it is, its not engine oil looks like tranny fluid and water mixed has no smell. But there is a hose that is exposed that looks like it is supposed to drain this. Is this normal.
  • tatsr2tatsr2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 dodge diesel that will not start .It has a new lift pump ,neew tps ,the fuel shutoff solenoid is working ,It will start with starter fluid sprayed into intake but will not continue to run.What else can I try?
  • red777red777 Member Posts: 22
    could be too much fuel pressure going to the pump, some 24 valves ; after being rebuilt have to have a 8 - 10 pound fuel regulator put in the line between lift pump and rotary pump. NOT 100% on the 12 valves but maybe it will help.

Can be picked up at local auto parts store for around 10 bucks, 2 water clamps and one splice and your in shape.
  • cmprjimcmprjim Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible for the heater to melt and collapse into the manifold if the relay contacts weld shut, and batterys drain completly?
  • 01ram0101ram01 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2001 cummins with auto trans. I had the same problem 2 years ago. I have 144,000 on the truck now and no more problem. I thought the problem was the tranny or throttle position sensor, which is $400+. It was neither. I found out from a mechanic from California and $35, that it is a grounding problem. The transmission is doing what it is told. I cleaned the grounding posts on both batteries real well and this fixed the problem. If the computor doesn't have a good ground, this will happen. I didn't think the posts looked bad at all, but after the cleaning it worked fine. Hope this helps if you haven't fixed it all ready.
    01ram01
  • lovehate2lovehate2 Member Posts: 4
    I cuurently have a head lamp on the rt side out only low beam. I assumed that the bulb was gone but after replacing still no light. Checking voltage at bulb outlet plug I get 10.3v between high and low beam lines but nothing through grounded leg sugesting that the ground is bad. However, high beam works just fine and reads correctly 12+ v when high beam is energized. Iremover the pcm (fuse pannel and attached circuit board) and checked all connectors without finding any obvious shorts or other signs of damage. I though that I read on a previous post something about wiring issues in loom /harness above fender and am suspecting that there may be a problem with the wiring from the light receptical to the pcm. I will need to find the correct wire at the pcm and check continuity to light recept.
    If anyone has some additional info that might direct me in a dif direction I certainly would appreciate it, I don't think that I want just jury rig a wire from the left light if I can correct the problem correctly.
  • kadoozeekadoozee Member Posts: 1
    Did you replace the bulb with a mopar bulb? Check the continuity of the old bulb before tearing into the truck to far. The pcm monitors the resistance of the bulbs very close and will not work with many aftermarket bulbs. This will also set a soft code if you have access to a good scanner (not just a obd unit). A good scanner will tell you the condition of the circuit with out tearing open the truck. and dont jumper left to right as the circuits are separate from the pcm and the extra load will cause havoc.
  • wheretootravelwheretootravel Member Posts: 6
    i have a 2003 3500 ram an it won't start unless i plug it in for awhile enen though its in the 40's at night? anyone have any idea what is going on thanks linda
  • handymenhandymen Member Posts: 1
    Driving along engine died 3 days ago. 1/4 tank fuel no pressure at lift pump, scanners reads no error codes. Engine cranks no problem. Can some one help me? have 225,000 miles on engine, purchased vehicle 2 years ago with 140k miles I don't have maintenance history prior to purchase. I This is first time it has left me stranded any where, pull 32 ft 5thwhl up over wolf creek pass Colorado last year this truck is all stock.
  • ramchargerramcharger Member Posts: 21
    Are you waiting for the start indicator light to go out? Your truck should start with no problems at that temp. Your intake preheater may not be working up to par. If your truck runs ok once started and starts easily when warm, that's where I would look good luck
  • dh56dh56 Member Posts: 7
    chances are that your alternator is not properly charging your battery or, your battery needs a replacement cause it sounds like your battery is charging off the outlet when you are plugging in over night.
  • dh56dh56 Member Posts: 7
    it sounds like your engine control unit (eng cpu) is not getting the right signal from your block heater sensor at times and knowing Cummins you should always turn your key to power on first for about 30 seconds and let your ECU and truck CPU run the self tests that are neccassary and then turn it over to crank. if this is not the issue then see if the dealer will "REFLASH" your CPU's for you and go from there. This way you know that you have the most udated software in your truck CPU's and then if it remains then you can start looking at replacing mechanical parts. Let me know what comes out of it.
    thanks i will check that out
    thanks i will check this out also
  • garrett6garrett6 Member Posts: 1
    hi,i have a 2006 bighorn diesel everytime i put it in park the panic horn goes off..also my door power mirrows wont work i change the fuse but it keeps blowing out.
    hi i had a 2003 ram diesel got ave 11-12 pulling an 20-22 solo have heard that the new ones are not getting that good of mileage can anyone tell me what they are getting on average? thanks wheretootraveler
    finally the replaced the heater temp sensor undre the battery started right up thanks for all the help an that it took so long to find the problem.
  • yogibear00yogibear00 Member Posts: 2
    1997 Dodge 2500 12 valve. 313,000 miles automatic trans. 4x4. Never had any mechanical problems with this truck, original cummins and transmission. Doing farm chores yesterday morning started early, truck fired right up fine. shut her off to load wood, fifteen minutes later tried to start and only got a click from relay mounted on driver side inner fender well. Checked all the fuses and wiring on battery to relay and to starter soleniod and found nothing wrong visually. Checked battery voltage(13.2 volts) both batteries, only about 6 months old. I have noticed 1 thing for the last month or so, when starting, the engine does not seem to turn over as fast as it usually does, but the truck always starts. When i turn the key to start i only get the clicking from 1 of the relays on the inner fender well, anybody have any suggestions on what to check next? thanx in advance!
    Hard starting leading to an eventual "click" usually means your starter has called it a career.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host