Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Roof Racks

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Carry plywood or kayaks on your roof? Or are you shopping for a rocket box. Here's the place to compare notes.

Comments

• dyoungdyoung Member Posts: 2
    Have a complaint with dents on my 2003 Honda Pilot. Vehicle came equipped with roof rails only. Purchased the crossbars at the Honda dealership with installation for a cost of $275 (very expensive). Drove to Florida with my cargo carrier attached weighing less than 100 lbs. Upon my return, noticed three dents on the upper side panel driver side and two dents on the upper side panel passenger side. It looks like these side panels were sucked in somehow. Honda feels this is an isolated incident and said we must have put our elbow or knee on the side panels. Honda should be embarrassed to make such a statement. I have seen 2 other Pilots on the highway equipped with crossbars and one had a Honda cargo carrier on it -- both had dents on the upper side panels. Travel a lot so this is an issue that needs to be resolved.
  • kyranorakyranora Member Posts: 2
    I saw your posting after running a search in Google. I have experienced the exact same issue with our 2006 Honda Pilot. I have stress dents on both sides of the roof. I was transporting two kayaks with crossbars purchased from our local Honda dealer. I even purchased Thule hule a-port systems for added stability in transporting the kayaks. The kayaks in total weigh less than 100 lbs.

I'm going to contact the Honda dealer, but I'm looking for any Honda Pilot owners with similar issues.
  • kyranorakyranora Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2006 Honda Pilot and transported 2 kayaks this weekend. I noticed several stress dents on both sides of the lower roof line below the roof rack. I purchased crossbars from our local Honda dealer. The cross bars and the roof rack are supposed to hold up to 150 lbs. I even purchased Thule hule a-port systems for added stability in transporting the kayaks. The kayaks in total weigh less than 100 lbs.

I'm going to contact the Honda dealer, but I'm looking for any Honda Pilot owners with similar issues.
  • gldngrlgldngrl Member Posts: 2
    Any luck finding out what to do. I am in the process of buying a car-top carrier but posts like yours and others are making me contemplate my decision. Has anyone from Honda gotten back to you to rectify the situation at all?
  • gldngrlgldngrl Member Posts: 2
    Car-top carriers....I am contemplating between the Sears and the Thule. Both, technically made by the same manufacturer (Thule) but big differences from what I have heard. Once I get through the issue of if my Pilot can even handle such a carrier without stress-denting, I would like to know if people have any opinions of one versus another. Especially if they own a Pilot.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Someone posted this link over in Vans - I'm not familiar with the company so usual disclaimers:

Low cost rack for Honda Pilot 2006
  • levetechlevetech Member Posts: 11
    I just picked up an '06 EX and decided to install the roof rack rails myself. The front plastic caps had to be removed and during that process, they broke! They are held on by really thin clips and when I pryed them loose, those clips cracked. I had to get replacement parts. Does anyone know the "trick" to get these off?

Other than that, the installation was easy. The dealer wanted way too much to do this and I was able to get the rails off the web for $125.
  • goasudevilsgoasudevils Member Posts: 2
    I just finished installing roof rails form my 06 Pilot EX and those darn clips broke on me as well :( Poor design on Honda's end! Quite easy to install the rails (which I brought from the Honda e-store--good discounts from local dealer on parts purchased from the e-store---Northwest Honda in Owings Mills, MD). Got them for $142.50+tax (MSRP is $178.00). Where did you get your replacement plastic caps? I now need to pick up a few.
    After I got them off it's easy to see how they work - the instructions should be to slide the caps forward, rather than pry off. Oh well. As for the caps, I contacted my local dealer's parts dept. They ordered them for me and they were $12 each. You also may want to check out www.hondapartsdeals.com. That's where I got the racks and they were cheaper than local. Good luck.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I just installed the roof rails myself and I had gotten the install instructions from the dealer. It tells you to use a flat head screwdriver and puch in on the little hole on the inside then slide the cap forward to remove. It was not hard at all and nothing broke. I got my OEM crossbars on Ebay for $90.00 new (after s/h). Very easy to install, took me maybe 15 mins.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • goasudevilsgoasudevils Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick response! I used the instructions I pulled off of CollegeHillsHonda.com and it said to "pry" the caps off. I wish it would have said to "slide" the caps forward like Odie posted. Oh well!
    Odie - you're the man! This goes to show you that reading the instructions is always a good idea - I must have missed that part. I just checked out your carspace spot - I think we have the same pilot (However, mine is still un-named)
    Ok - so maybe I'm not crazy - I thought my instructions said to "pry" too. Odie found the right instructions out there. For anyone else - don't pry!! :D
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    wait till you see 'The Beast' when I'm finished with it. I posted a hugh list of stuff I'm looking at adding over on the Accessories thread. As for the Crossbars, here are the before;

and after pictures;

I just had to use my leaf blower to dry the car before hand. And yes I use my leaf blower after I hand wash to dry it faster so I don't use a crap load of towels drying.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • jmac8jmac8 Member Posts: 12
    We had our roof racks installed by the dealer and on the way home I heard a noise overhead. I pulled over and sure enough the front plastic cap was broken and flapping in the wind. It turned out both sides were broken. So clearly even the dealership has problems removing those caps without breaking them. Good Luck
  • baron64baron64 Member Posts: 41
    Decided to have the dealer put on the OEM crossbars after they said they would charge me the same as an on-line price plus $26 to install. After reading several threads about stripping screws, etc., I decided to just spend a few extra bucks and have them do it. In addition, I was concerned about a few folks saying they would increase the wind noise but I have yet to notice any difference. So far, I am happy with the OEM crossbars.
    Baron64 - I am sorry that you too experienced this. It's ironic how easy it is to tell how to remove them after they've broken off. Hopefully they replaced them for you.
  • mike072mike072 Member Posts: 7
    I use the Yakima bars with the EX rails with no problems. The 58" bars allow me to put a platinum box and a 4pr ski or 2ea. snowboard rack on at the same time. I probably have overloaded the box at times but the round Yakima crossbars work great. You do need to take the rails off when you don't need them or add the wind deflector to the front bar. The Yakima boxes also have a quick lever connection to the bars.
  • sdirghallisdirghalli Member Posts: 5
    I guess this is as good a thread as any for this question. I have a 06 LX and it came without any rack at all on the roof. I would like to add a rack, but the dealer quoted me $500. I've been looking around and all I can find are the crossbars. Does anyone have any experience with installing the whole rack system? Any/all help is appreciated.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    here you go....

Roof Accessories

Just click on what ever you need, plus they have install instructions in PDF format.

Hope this helps.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • tenezateneza Member Posts: 1
    Hey i was wondering if you can give me a part number for the Yakima cross bars for my 03 ex. thanks
  • surfsidesurfside Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to install crossbars on a 2007 Pilot, have the same problem. I push in on the spring through the small hole in the front and back rail cover, but it doesn't budge. I have removed the retaining screws holding the side rail. What is the trick to get the plastic front (or back) cover to slidde off? I am missing something.
    Thanks
  • justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    There is a little retaining tab that you release with a small screwdriver. Push it in while sliding the front cover forward.
  • sdirghallisdirghalli Member Posts: 5
    In 2006 when I bought my Pilot, the LX version did not have any roof rack (rails, crossbars...anything). The dealer was happy to install one for $600 but I figured I could do better than that. Does anyone have any experience installing the rails? I have found plenty on installing the cross bars but nothing about the rails. I would think about doing the install myself, but I am also curious if any LX owner out there had rails installed by a non-dealer company. Thanks.
  • oldunoldun Member Posts: 1
    When I look for crossbars for the roofrack for the 2008 Pilot VP (which I understand replaces the LX, right?) the aftermarket places all say "fits all but LX" or something like that.

What's the difference, and can I really not use the EX-related crossbars?
  • abryce41abryce41 Member Posts: 1
    Can't remove Front Cover with falt-tip screwdriver and pulling forward as the instructions say. Any tips?

abryce41@comcast.net
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check this thread over in Vans:

pringles, "Honda Odyssey Accessories & Modifications" #540, 18 Aug 2005 6:28 pm

The van referenced is a year or two older than yours but maybe it'll help. Have no idea if the Pilot crossbars are the same as the ones on the Odyssey.
  • waterboy7waterboy7 Member Posts: 1
    Hi There...just wondering if there are any more of those $90 crossbars, the dealers here in Canada want $ 600 dollars for them
  • bananappbananapp Member Posts: 1
    Hi there. I was just wondering if you found any roof rails (I mean, the non dealership ones) that worked for you and if you were able to install them yourself. I have this same problem with the same auto, 2006 LX, and it's so annoying! Thanks-Kim
  • id_buyguyid_buyguy Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used 2006 Honda Pilot that does not have the cross bars for the luggage rack. I would like to add my Yakima bike racks to the top. I am interested in your post showing you did this. Can you provide more data on what the parts are you used?

Thanks!
  • pam31pam31 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Pilot with roof rails but no cross bars. I just bought the Thule Quest cartop bag and the instructions say "when mounting on luggage racks with side rails only, position bag so that both side anchoring rings are forward of the center support post." I take that to mean it is safe to use the bag without cross bars. Does anyone have any experience with this? We're planning a 5 hour interstate drive soon. We've never used a cartop carrier/bag before and my husband is squeamish because he has a friend who lost one on the interstate. Thanks.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/Install/2007_Odyssey_CrossBars_AII33169.pdf
    2007 cross bar only - installation - EX, EXL, Touring

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/Install/2007_Odyssey_RoofRackCrossBars_AII33- - - - 183.pdf
    2007 cross bar + roof rack installation - LX

For other years - goto above site and you can find them in Honda accessories > rack
  • lowbudgetdavelowbudgetdave Member Posts: 1
    I do have some advice.
    1. The picture looks like they are removing the front. This is incorrect. You only need to remove the back covers.
    2. Even with the retaining clip depressed, you still need to give it a good hard whack straight back (away from the van). I used a wooden paint stick and put it inside the rail groove. Tapping it with a screwdriver is not hard enough, you need to thump it pretty hard. I actually used a small rubber mallet. It did not damage the retaining clip.
    3. Do not try to pry the cover up. It will crack.
    4. Do not climb on top of the van. If it is like mine, it will dent pretty easily.

Good Luck
  • shanmarie99shanmarie99 Member Posts: 1
    I was just wondering how your trip went. I just bought same bag and have a Pathfinder with only side rails. I find the instructions confusing as it seems as if they are telling you to mount the bag between the front support and center support, but the picture looks as if the anchoring ring is BEHIND the center support. I'm confused. Ten hour drive for us tomorrow and I was hoping to figure this out!
  • pam31pam31 Member Posts: 2
    I actually bought a Thule cargo bag but I was also confused about that because in the Thule instructions, it looked the same way. I figured out that I was imagining the front of the car on the wrong end (the picture wasn't clear). I bet I read the instructions ten times! I finally figured it out by paying more attention to the fact that on mine, the zipper goes in the back so that if you unzip all the way and flip it open, the flap falls toward the front windshield. Anyway, I attached the cargo bag very tightly using only side straps (2 on each side) and it was fine for the 5 hour trip - except that it rained and it isn't waterproof. A few things got soggy. Also no problem on the drive home. Good luck!
  • vindiesel1vindiesel1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

Just bought a 2010 Pilot EX-L. I am concerned about some of the earlier posts about the roof rack w/ cross bars causing stress dents on the Pilot panels. Any more info on this. Is this a safe design? Any loading limitations.

Thanks,
    Diesel
  • petedoc1972petedoc1972 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to lowbudgetdave!
  • abzabz Member Posts: 13
    I noticed a similar indentation (top of A pillar) after driving 12 hours in my wife's 2006 Honda Pilot with a Thule box on top. I was stumped and assumed it happened at dealership during service, but had no proof to go back to them. After reading this forum, it seems the issue is related to any load (or upward force) on the roof.

Does anyone have more information? Will Honda repair this? The load in our cargo box was rather light, but the wind force must be fairly dramatic at highway speeds.