Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

124»

Comments

• speakerfacespeakerface Member Posts: 4
    Yeah, that's what I've been finding. Admittedly, the only problem I've had with the G6 is that blasted power steering light. This is the model with the fly-by-wire PS, opposed to the hydraulic, so my best guess is the problem lies with a sensor of some sort. What the GM garage did the two times I took it back was to "reset the steering wheel position". Whatever they did was a temporary fix, because no sooner than 5 days later, the light came back on.
  • pontiacgirlpontiacgirl Member Posts: 3
    they will honor the terms of the lease. I have an '07 G6 also and made sure to double-check with my dealer on this as well. As you might already know, they estimate an end value for the car when you sign the lease, based on the mileage plan you take. The amount financed is the car price, minus this amount. If the car is worth less at the end, usually because of damage or mileage overage, it's best to just walk away and get a new one If you are over the agreed mileage, you will also owe the mileage fee. I am on my third smart lease and have always traded the car in at the end (i get bored with my cars after 3-4 years). Technically, if you don't want to keep the car and finance the difference, they are supposed to charge you a disposal fee of around $250. I have never had to pay this, since I've always gotten another car at the same time. They will usually just dismiss the fee. You walk away, and start the new car from scratch with a down payment, etc.
    I've never had an issue with the amount they estimate on worth of the car. I don't think they've ever even test driven it or inspected it when I traded them in; whatever the contract says is what they've worked with. I've also traded my cars in sooner because I didn't want to go over mileage; if you do this, you owe whatever months are left on the lease. Oftentimes they would offer to pay off whatever months were left on the lease or part of them. GM runs offers like this too periodically. I'm not worried about having an issue in Aug 2011 when my lease is up; I just don't know what I'll buy next, since I'm such a hardcore Pontiac girl!
  • pfinepfine Member Posts: 15
    Hi -- I'm looking at a new car, including the G6. There is a model called the "Value Leader" G6 being offered but there is virtually no information on what the model includes as features. The Pontiac site is virtually devoid of information on the version. Does anyone have any info or experience with this version?
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I would highly recommend you seeking out all other cars before deciding on the G6.

You also might want to look within the G6 forum to see what others are saying about the car if you haven't already.

This is not to deter you from getting this car, some have issues with the G6, including newer models. Some have also had no problems at all. The car offers a great package for the money. However, this is an old car, older technology. Pontiac is phasing out. Having rebates on the car only bring its value to near where its supposed to be now.

I have an 08 G6, I love it, but have had engine issues since new. Luckily I lease it. I just don't want you to make the same mistake. If you want the car, make sure to have the car fully inspected, test drive several cars, even on a new car. I wouldn't buy used. Then go for it. With rebates out, you can get the car for an amazing deal.

Just do plenty of research, look at all cars within the price range. If you keep coming back to the G6, then get it. Getting the right car from the start is key to be in it longer. Just be very careful though. :)
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    The G6 is based on the same platform as the Malibu and Saturn Aura. I believe the 08 $22000 (approx) G6, Malibu and Aura have a used trade in value (with avg miles ) of about 10k, 11k and 11k respectively.(kbb.com) This is what the $22000 09 will be worth in 12 months.

Almost certainly great deals were to be had this summer on the G6 and malibu but the " Cash for clunkers" deal from your govt propped up the price $3000 or more, and the stock sold off.

Yes virginia, the dealers raised the price by $3000 or so and people bought the cars for about the same price after the gov't money as they sold for a month earlier. Possibly even more given funny money lease and other finance deals. Straight from the gov't to the dealers and manufacturers. Worse, it appears most of the money went to foreign nameplates rather than the Domestic's, to which 80 BILLION of your tax money has also been sunk into.

A G6 that could be had for under 14000 in June. couldn't be touched for under $17000 for a while, without a (highly specific) clunker. With the stock sold off and the clunker program re-funded till Nov., prepare to pay much more than $13000 for a lefftover 09 (and discontinued nameplate?) worth about $10,000 in a year.

Good luck
    --jjf
    Thanks for the info but has anyone ever owned one? It seems to be stripped below even the base model and is not even mentioned in the Pontiac brochure or website. (Some info is buried in the website but only under certain categories one must search for.) We'll see. Set to talk to a dealer this week. Only a few of this model is available in the area and may be had for a significant discount. They are the ugly duckling loss leaders and perhaps they will be cut down even more than others.

And as for the C4C benefiting foreign makers, you can thank certain redneck congressmen of a certain party who changed the original legislation to force that into the law. It was originally supposed to be for US Big-3 auto company products only. Amazing what having a Hyundai plant in your state's backyard, and your back-pocket, will do to a legislator's decisionmaking...

Still, "among manufacturers, General Motors Co. had the largest share, accounting for 18.7 percent of new sales, followed by Toyota Motor Corp. with 17.9 percent. Ford Motor Co. was third with 16 percent of the sales. Detroit automakers represented 45.3 percent of the total sales while Japan's Toyota, Honda Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co. accounted for 36.5 percent."

Good for GM.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    This is a disasterous program for the consumer. Prices are higher than a year ago for closeout models for 95% of folks without a (very highly specific) "clunker". Perhaps the stripper value leader may be had for $14000-$15000 this year. Terrible. And another $3 billion in waste, and $5 billion or more in jacked up prices for consumers.

If the program would not have been extended to "import" nameplates, numerous trade agreements would have been violated, not to mention retaliation of various "clunker" programs in Europe being limited to non GM or Ford models.
    Find new sources of information.

The program should have sixed, or scrapped after the first billion. Billions sunk into a dying domestic industry shedding a million or more workers over a decade or two.

What a joke
    --jjf
    Yes, what a cruel disaster all those people buying cars. Disasterous I tell you, disasterous.

I hear it also kills old people and will take our guns away.
  • temperanttemperant Member Posts: 1
    I wasn't originally in the market for a Pontiac, instead, I was intending to purchase a Toyota Yaris Sedan with a full TRD package. It was going to be a custom order.

Due to issues with the salesman being well, for lack of a better word, an [non-permissible content removed], we went to the GM dealership where I was looking at a G5.

The salesman obviously knew I wanted something 'shiny' So he pointed out the 2008 G6 GXP Street Edition.. In white. I'm not a fan of white, but after test driving it, I was scared to look at the sticker price. It was 32k.

The dealership was running a promo on it, (Since it was a new 2008, and we were in 2009 already) After working out a deal, a rebate and a 4k trade in on my 05 ford focus, we got it down to 17.9K. That included the sales tax (5% in Wyoming). It was a Deal.

Driving it through town in the big ol metropolis of Casper, WY, we got turns and stares right and left. This car was indeed a fancy bit of steel and muscle. The 'don't mess with me or I will eat the road under you' front to the 'I can Iron my muscles on this hammerhead' spoiler, trimmed and decked in chrome, leather seats, sun and sound package. It was any man's ego waiting to be driven... By me. A woman. My husband is still jealous, since two days before we bought him a slightly used Impala LTX.

I drove back to my itty bitty small town, and I've noticed since then, that most of the younger generation (16 to 25) keeps asking me where I found the car, because they have never seen a G6 with the full street edition package, let alone in a sedan. Yes, this baby is a sedan.

Someone told me that they didn't make a whole mass of them for release in 2008. Let alone with the sun and sound package. Frankly, I am enjoying the monsoon speaker system and 6 disc changer.

I feel I got a great price, more so since I researched from the pontiac website in customizing, and it was right around the same price the sticker was for at the 32k.

Going from a yellow Ford Focus ZX3 manual tranny to this, I'm quite impressed, even though I said I would never drive another automatic tranny ever again. The VVT is easy to handle, though I do laugh at the fact it auto downshifts for you. My husband calls it the 'Woman's Stick Shift' I call it the 'Lazy Man's Stick Shift'

Now if people would just stop asking me if I put a molding kit on it..
    Great Job! That is how you work a deal! That is exciting, because this is basically where the car should be priced right now. Considering the brand is dead, and the values of most GM cars a pretty low now!
  • whoosierdaddywhoosierdaddy Member Posts: 76
    Search the G6 thread at Edmunds and other sites before buying one. If you can get a screamin' deal, OK. Otherwise, let's just say there are better choices out there. (p.s.- avoid the 4cyl.)
    Good Point! haha! Exactly. At this point it would have to be a very screaming deal to get one right now. They are not "bad" cars. Really they are quite solid and quiet, even more so than my old 06 Accord I had. I am actually impressed. The engine, where a car's soul lies is nothing to get excited about. It really has no soul. I don't get in my car and feel good about its power and engineering like I did with my 06 Accord. Rather, I get excited only when I have my roof open and using all the features it does have. Which is a lot! Its loaded. But, I really can't show off my engine or have fun with that, because that is what lacks...Big time!! I would call the engine a piece of crap. Especially mine, with its messed up transmission. In a way, I wish it would go completely out, so the dealer would see that I am just not feeling things, but then again that could hurt me when trying to get out of it. So, I am keeping it quiet about that topic.

Not a bad car, but GM gave up on the car years ago, they create a project. Do it about 70% and and move on to a new product. Buyer Beware before moving forward with any GM product now. A pretty face is not a reason to trust. :) :lemon:
  • tarvwtarvw Member Posts: 1
    Good Morning,
    I currently have a 2006 Pontiac G6 and my lease will be up around June (4 year lease, pmts of $276). I plan on just returning it because I cannot stand the car any longer. It seems in the past year, everything has begun to slowly fall apart on it (known issues by Pontiac, such as the lack of slack on their tubes for sun rooofs, etc.). Also, the trim on the car doors is very poor.

Does anyone know, if with a lease, there is any trade-in they apply if you plan to buy a New car? Or, is it like buying a new car with just a down payment and no trade in? :sick:
    Hello!

I am thinking that there is no incentive to trading in your car. But, please check before doing so. At this point, you could break even or have some positive equity in the car. Now, I would highly advise you to look at a different company all together before settling on another GM product. You might find much more value and quality in the car. There are so many others cars that are holding their values, and show much more quality and will so years later too. Example: The new Malibu is made up of many parts from the G6. Obviously, GM is not wanting to try that hard.

Consider this your chance to get out! Get a nice car with good value to back it up.
    I will be curious to see what your car gets on trade in.

I also drive an 08 G6, plan to trade in the Spring. No issues recently, but has had a new catylic converter, new front brake pads, new fuse(so I could roll my windows down, 2 times replaced, new door window switch to fix that issue, their is a more obvious transmission problem now. Starting to show symptoms more often, consistently=it jolts/slips between 1-3gears somewhere.

Love my car for its design concept and for the memories in it, but not for the car itself. Engine is a big let down.
    Trade in: I am thinking about what I should do about trading in my car!

I have about 27,000 miles on it and the lease allows 39,000 miles. Expires: 07/11
    Therefore travel about 1,000 miles per month, I will have about 36,000 miles by december of this year. Then, I am bordering on going over. Which is not good!

Either way I know I will have some negative equity, but will it be better now? or later?
    Over on miles? or under miles, under on lease.

I am thinking that when I get my next oil change soon, that I'll ask my dealer abut what I should do. And see if I can get some realistic numbers. Because, I honestly, do not know what I am dealing with.

Last time, I went was last Spring, and I was roughly $6,000 negative, but that was only 1yr into the lease, this time, I will be 2yrs. But, now my trade in value could kill me.

Coupled with incentives, I could get out decently perhaps. People trade all the time. I'll push for it. Maybe when the snow clears up! :)
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi bvdj84. While I haven't researched the trade-in values of Pontiac vehicles lately, I have a sneaking suspicion that your G6 will be worth no where near its purchase option price at this point. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say that chances are that you will end up spending big bucks to get out of your car at this point.

You will probably be better off waiting until you are closer to the scheduled end date of your lease to do something.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Thanks Car_man! Yes, It would be a good option to wait too! But, considering how much lower will my value decrease as well with age and mileage. I am willing to check with my local dealer where I leased it from. They might be able to work out something with me.

Swapalease company might have a program to get me out too. That would be so awesome, this option would get me out, walking away clear of owing anything!! But, that is getting someone to want my car! It has great options,

Both Options:
    but however, with the transmission acting wierd...they would inherit the issue. I would feel bad about that! However, I would disclose this to the dealer, only after I trade, because why should I have to take a hit for "GM"'s problem? Not my car right?! I am sure there have been many other cases like this. But, I am sure the dealer will not disclose the issue to the new owner. It happens all the time.

I just want out!! Either to a VW or Honda product! I just feel that continuing putting more miles on it, already over what I should be at this point in the lease by about -4-6,000 est. So this will hurt me later too!
    You're welcome, bvdj84.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • petersoncpetersonc Member Posts: 1
    Two questions :
    1. Fram makes a cabin air filter for this vehicle, but I cannot find the cabin air filter. Any help?
    2. 18k miles on vehicle and I'm getting a burntoil smell through the air vents. Not losing any noticeable amounts of oil and cannot find a leak.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Hi petersonc..

Welcome to the forums!

This discussion is for questions about leasing a G6 (or at least, it used to be).. You'll probably have a better chance of getting an answer to your questions in the general Pontiac G6 discussion.. Just click on the link to go there...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host- Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.