Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

SUV gas mileage - Feel free to participate

drmperaltadrmperalta Member Posts: 58
edited July 2014 in Chevrolet
Hi,

Can you post your fuel mileage? I just want to
know actual mileage from real owners and not test
drivers.

My '99 Honda Passport averages 14 MPG. I do short
distance city driving and I find this low for my
expectation.

I usually fill 10 gallons at a time and reach
about 140 miles before the gas gauge lights up.

Comments

• alexpalexp Member Posts: 70
    In the office we have 98 Jimmy 4x4 and 98 Exploder 4x4. Jimmy gets about 17-18 mpg all highway (about 16 mixed), Exploder gets about 19-20 all highway (about 18 mixed). On the short city trips you will not get good milage. I drive Dodge Dakota daily commuter 6 miles to work and 6 miles back. In the summer time I average 14-15 mpg, in the winter time (especially if I have weight on the back for better traction) I average 10-12 mpg. On the highway I average about 18-20 mpg.
  • reddogsreddogs Member Posts: 353
    You must have a heavy foot or lots of city driving, my '98 Honda Passport averages 17 MPG in SOBE and 20-22 mpg in highway driving depending if I fly all out or just set it on cruise. Also I usually dont carry or drag anything and keep the back clear of any unnecersary weight. Maybe you have a few things back there adding some weight that is affecting your mpg.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I have only filled up twice...bought it new 6/24/00. 1st tank roughly 16.7 to 17.0. (not sure how full the dealership filled it up.) Second tank I got about 17.4. I drive 19.5 miles to work...half Interstate...half city streets...but not that much traffic or stop and go. Also, about 1/3 more city street other than to and from work..so 2/3 easy city street & 1/3 Interstate. Not too bad so far. (BTW, 2 wheel drive)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0, 2 wheel drive. Several thousand miles..combination city street and Interstate...computer show 18.1 MPG. Wife's vehicle.

Both include running aircon...darn hot is Memphis these days :-(
    I rented a Chevy Metro for my cousin to take his kids to Disney World and I told him to check his gas mileage to see how much better he got than the Passport. Well to my surprise, whenever we kicked up the speeds he got almost the same as the Passport, 22 mpg for the Metro vs 24 mpg for the Passport, and to add insult to injury the Metro rode like h#ll. It sounded and felt like it was stuck in 2nd gear and had no power whatsoever, and it drove like it was dragging an anchor around. When I returned it, I asked them to check it to see if it was working correctly and they said they could find nothing wrong, it was working fine...... makes you want to go hmmm...:0)
    just in case you were thinking I was cheating him on weight....:0(
  • drmperaltadrmperalta Member Posts: 58
    I guess I have a lead foot but it felt so inviting to drive fast. My '99 Passport has very good pick-up and I always keep up even with sports cars. I'd better calm down next time and be mindful of my fuel mileage.
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I get 20 on steady freeway driving but only
    15 mpg in mixed sububan use.I thought driving
    more conservatively would improve it, but did not.
    I like the power and and I use the A/C all the time so I'll live with it another year.Maybe the
    Escape will be a tradeoff off power vs economy.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    I get 19-20 mpg in the city and about 23-24 pure highway driving.
    I drive two round trips (2.5-mile each trip) totalling 10 miles in a day. This is an inner city trip with 12 traffic lights each way. I average about 13-14 miles per gallon which I am disappointed. I hate those long waits at the traffic lights that badly cuts my mileage.
  • zr2zr2 Member Posts: 6
    I get 19-20 driving 45 miles to work and back with top speed of 54 (in a 45 zone, no lights, 15 stop signs and a few curves/hills). On freeway and long trips at 80-83 (in 75 zone) and no wind, I get 17-18. With head wind or pulling each other (97 pulling the '00), it drops to 15-16. Of course these have 10.5 x 31 tires and 3.73 rear/front ends. '97 has 73,000 and '00 has 8,000. I live in front range of Colorado (Boulder/Loveland) and love my ZR2s. Use 4-wd to get up my driveway every day.
  • wayn1wayn1 Member Posts: 69
    With 4600 miles, I get 24 mpg in mixed driving. I haven't taken it on a trip yet but I'm sure the mileage will be good.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I finally got the Trooper (2wd LS) out on the Interstate yesterday...about 200 miles plus 40 miles on regular Highways. Interstate 75 MPH..
    Ended up with 18.4 mpg for the trip. Now have a little over 1800 miles on the Trooper. About what I expected. Would not mind if it got closer to 20 when completely broken in. My old 95 Rodeo got 20 mpg on the Interstate on it's best day.
  • mrboostmrboost Member Posts: 32
    Have a 00 Durango.

It has 5.9, Ft4wd T-case(NV242), 3.92 gear with LSD, 3rd seat, rear air etc. Get 14 MPG in town, 15.5 combined and 17 MPG highway.

Seems when you buy a heavy SUV, no matter which engine you choose, you are not going to get very good mileage.

Later
  • beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    Average 24.5 Best 27.5 Worst 19
  • jetfixr2jetfixr2 Member Posts: 8
    I have a '95 Blazer LS 4-dr 4X4 w/ 101K mi. Curb weight 3800; w/ 4 adults, 150 lbs cargo, and full gas, around 4600-4800 lbs. On a recent trip across the midwest, I averaged 18.5 @ 70 mph, RPM @ 2.6K, 87-89 octane gas in the tank. V-6 Guzzler- I mean, Vortec, has to drag almost too much weight. Economy is better at lower speeds (50-60 mph) and gently driven. I have pushed 22 at those speeds. It would be even better if GM could have left out a couple hundred pounds.
  • mbatchelormbatchelor Member Posts: 27
    99 Isuzu Rodeo LS 2wd 3.2V6/auto
    City=16mpg average
    Highway=21mpg average
    98 Chevy C1500 ext-cab 4.3V6/auto
    City=15mpg average
    Highway=20mpg average
  • alexpalexp Member Posts: 70
    1 st tank, city driving - 17 mpg. 2 nd tank, not sure. 3 rd tank, mixed driving 50% city 50% highway, came up at 20 mpg. 986 miles so far.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Avg: 27.5 / Best: 30.5 / Worst: 26
    Just an update, came back from our trip to Prince Edward Island and got excellent mileage, 27-30 mpg! I usually get around 24-25 mpg in mixed driving.
    Really not bad at all for an SUV.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Usually around 16-17 mixed. Recent trip all highway driving 19.8 with A/C all the way. However, if I make short 4 or 5 mile trips only, I average 11 to 12.
  • dougpittmandougpittman Member Posts: 2
    My '97 4x2, 4.6L Expy gets 14.5 in the city and 17-18 mpg on California fwys at 80 mph. My 2000 4x2, 4.6 gets 14-16 mpg under the same conditions. Has anyone had any experience with re-programmed computer chips improving efficiency in the 4.6l Triton engines?
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    We average 18mpg with our PF. It is mixed city and highway driving. The new engine has alot of power and it is hard not to race it. On a full tank, 20 7/8 gallons, we get around 340 miles and usually have at least a gallon left.
    Hi,

I'm glad that many are welling to share their SUV fuel mileage experience. I never thought my created topic would have survived this long. Anyway, to update on mine, my '99 Passport has moved its fuel mileage from 13 to 16 MPG city driving. 13K miles here so far.
  • figmomanfigmoman Member Posts: 55
    5.3 liter V-8 2-WD 3.73 gears, 18-20 on a trip, 16-17 our average town and rural driving.
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    I hope you corrected your "great mileage" for US gallons. Canada uses Imperial gallons, you know.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    96 Trooper, 3.2L V6, 4-speed automatic, 190hp, 188lb-ft torque: over 25,000 miles I owned the vehicle here are the average/median numbers (all based on driving in 2 wheel-drive mode):

100% highway @75mph approx. 18-18.5 mpg
    100% highway @70mph approx. 19-20 mpg
    100% highway @65mph approx. 20-21 mpg
    50/50 city/highway mix approx. 17-17.5 mpg

By the way, the EPA numbers for the 96 Trooper with auto trans are 14 city, 18 highway.

98 Trooper, 3.5L V6, 4-speed automatic, 215hp, 230lb-ft torque: over 26,000 miles I've owned the vehicle so far here are the average/median numbers (all based on driving in 2 wheel-drive mode):

100% highway @75mph approx. 17.5-18.5 mpg
    100% highway @70mph approx. 18-19 mpg
    100% highway @65mph approx. 19-20 mpg
    50/50 city/highway mix approx. 16.5 mpg

EPA numbers for the 98 Trooper with auto trans are 15 city, 19 highway. I'm not sure why my 98 has done worse on gas than my 96 did. Either the EPA numbers are just off or mileage really varies from unit to unit; I don't know.

On the plus side, using the air conditioning has no effect on the fuel economy. Neither does the amount of weight loaded in the vehicle.
  • rbarearbarea Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Eddie Bauer Expedition with the 5.4 With 33k miles and using regular gasoline I average about 14.5 mpg's This is with 60% city and 40% Hwy. Hwy driving is at apx. 80 mph. My lease expires 11/5/00 and I'm going crazy trying to decide what to go into.
    Way ahead of you pal! Been there, Done that!
  • dianne1dianne1 Member Posts: 2
    26 gallon tank. This freeway and street combination.I get between 15 and 20. I can go 400 miles on a tank of gas. Im happy with this. I have 15,000 miles on my Tahoe and have had nothing go wrong.Have owned this vehicle since Febuary.Im surprise to here that some people are having problems. Great site.
  • jogibajogiba Member Posts: 27
    PowerStroke Diesel Excursion Limited .With a 44gal fuel tank I Can drive all day non stop.
  • mark_aidanmark_aidan Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 limited 4-Runner. This thing has the worst gas mileage. I get around 11-13 city and about 15 on the highway. I read some of the other columns in here, and found out I'm not alone. Many, many 4-Runner owners are disgusted with their fuel consumption. So if you people are interested in a new 4-Runner, look closely at the mileage to and from where ever... You might want to visit a Nissan Dealership.
  • scmhockeyscmhockey Member Posts: 45
    I usually get about 17 to and from work. 35 miles each way, mostly highway.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    I hardly think your problem is widespread. You are only the second person I have heard this happening to here on Edmunds (the other one is covo). I get great mileage (for a truck) with my 1998 SR5 4WD.
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    I get almost 20 mpg in light suburban commuting. No highway trips yet.
  • kyliangkyliang Member Posts: 6
    12 ~ 14 mpg local / half half commute.

17.9 mpg free ways.
  • dardsondardson Member Posts: 21
    I have been religious about keeping my milage...for some odd reason (why bother is you're gonna buy a 2 ton car). Let me say first, that I have loved this great big thing. I drive 95% city and get 11.5 summer with AC and 12+ winter without AC. Road trips I do really well to get 17 but mostly 15.5 to 16.5. That said, I am not a conservative driver. I make "jack rabbit" starts and feel free to kick in the passing gear. If I can get behind an idiot who is willing run interferance @ 95 down the interstate, I get behind and keep up. Made a 350 mile trip last week averaging 81mph (based on miles divided by time) and got 15.9mpg. I have never, once, gotten the promised 13mpg city or the 18 mpg highway in my giant gas hog. But considering my heavy foot I am not surprised. Being a child of the 60's when 8 or 9 city and 10 or 12 highway was the norm, I'm only amazed they can make 2 ton cars that get 12/16.
  • kanukkanuk Member Posts: 1
    Currently averaging 21mpg (US gallon) combination city and highway. One time best of 24. Worst 16 all city. The past few tanks have been constant at 21
  • dardsondardson Member Posts: 21
    2 posts back, I mentioned a pretty consistent 11.5 mpg on my Ford EXP 5.4V8. A few weeks ago I happened to be reading my owners booklet and noticed it said to use minimum 87 octane. I had seem on some post somewhere that reg. gasoline in higher altitudes was 86 rather than 87. Sure enough, last time I filled I noticed 86 octane for reg. unleaded. I filled with mid grade 88, checked the milage yesterday when I filled again, and got very close to 13 instead of the the usual 11.5. Interesting. Not sure it's meaningfull as I paid 10cents more per gallon, but I had no idea a few octane points made such a difference....and I have a seat-of-the-pants feel that the car is distinctly quicker. Hum???
  • tbavistbavis Member Posts: 7
    The 5.4 may have a knock sensor that causes the ignition timing to be retarded more with the lower octane. Maybe not enough improvement with 88 octane to pay for the difference, though.

I have two 3000 lb cars - a Subaru Forester, which does about 26 MPG commuting, and a Voyager, which does 23. Funny, my '73 Subaru and '77 VW only managed 26, and they were 1880 and 1800 lbs!
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    Just did a 350 mile trip this past weekend. 1st in this vehicle. Got a solid 20 mpg. Kept it mostly to 65 mph but includes a good 40 miles of crawling around town.
  • dmezdmez Member Posts: 3
    I only have about 700 miles on our new truck. Drove it to upstate NY this past weekend and maintained about 15 mpg on the highway and about 11 mph around town. Trip was about 300 miles round trip. Speed was 65 mph to 70 mph.
  • selmanselman Member Posts: 17
    City avg. approx. 13-14. Mixed avg. 15-16, Haven't had an opportunity to check Hwy. only.
    Mileage decreases about 1-1.5 MPG when pulling 1500 to 1800 lbs. (2 waverunner/gear).
  • itzkirbitzkirb Member Posts: 1
    City/Highway(SF Traffic) average overall about 21mpg. only 2000 miles on the car so hopefully it will get better with time.
  • mark_aidanmark_aidan Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 1999 Toyota 4-Runner Limited about 3 months ago and have been having a real problem with fuel consumption. The mpg was listed at 17-20 mpg highway with a tank that is to hold 18.5 gallons of fuel. Neither of these stats have held true. First, my suv will only hold 13.5 gallons and I have averaged 180 miles per tank of gas over the 3 months. Now simple math tells me I am still only getting 13.33... mpg. My questions are: 1) Have any you 4-Runner owners had these types of problems with this make/model. 2) Why will this suv only hold 13.5 gallons of fuel(this has not changed for 3 months also). And 3) Is there a recall on the 4-Runner for problems will fuel consumption, inaccurate gauges or the wrong size gas tank on the 4-Runner. The Toyota dealership says there is no problem. I fail to see it that way. I would appreciate any information that anyone could offer up to make some sense of this situation.
  • rinkinkinrinkinkin Member Posts: 35
    My 2000 GCL V8 with Quadra Trac :
    City 13.5 to 14 imperial m/g
    haven't check highway m/g yet.
  • razor22razor22 Member Posts: 4
    Automatic transmission:

City average 16.8 Imp mpg
    Combined average 21.01 Imp mpg
    Highway average 23.23 Imp mpg (Hwy 20-22 Imp mpg with 9ft Kayak on roof rack and camping supplies piled inside)

Although fuel is sold by liters up here, I always change it to Imperial gallons.

Please remember there is a difference in Imperial gallons to US gallons.

I didn't do the math conversion from the Imperial Gallon to the US gallon or to the Metric Liters.

Approximate conversions:
    4.546 L = 1 Imperial gallon
    1 Imperial gallon =1.25 US gallons
    1 US gallon = .75 Imperial gallons
  • razor22razor22 Member Posts: 4
    Forgot to mention, it is also 4X4.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    With 40,000 miles, never better than 15mpg on 100% freeway and 9-11 mpg in the city. Average in mixed mode is about 12 mpg; thank god it's regular fuel!

EPA was 14/18 mpg; EPA dyno operator must have been on coffee break or asleep at the switch when they tested this puppy.

Interesting Ford Motor Co. statement in a recent article on the new Explorer/Mountaineer coming out early next year with the 4.6L V-8 instead of the 40-year-old 5.0L V8 -- here's how they plan to increase mpg by 25% in these SUVs:

1. Increase vehicle weight by 250-300 pounds (huh?)
    2. Keep the same aerodynamics as before (huh?)
    3. Admit that the 4.6L is not that much more fuel-efficient than the old 5.0L (OK)
    4. (Drumroll - here's The Real Answer):
    a. Install 5-speed automatic instead of 4-speed
    with new model introduction
    b. Within a year after that, introduce a 6- speed automatic

In other words - gear that sucker down to where it will be doing about 1200 rpm at 70 mph, a "semi-coast" mode. Hope all you folks towing something like dropping back into 3rd or 4th gear to go up 2% grades!

Sounds like a way to fool the EPA highway mpg test - wanna bet the new numbers with the 6-speed look like "14 mpg city, 28 mpg highway"?!

JM
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Just to be accurate --

Ford is introducing their "Powershift" Auto Trans in a year or so - it's a 6-forward-speed trans plus reverse so it's called a 7-speed. Close enough.

Interesting that Ford claims this unit will improve MPG by only 6% over current AT units - where will the other 19% of projected improvement come from - solid rubber tires?

If you want more facts on the PowerShift unit, check "blueoval.com" site.

Jeff
This discussion has been closed.