Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    "I have a 2002 Trooper and I can't remove the spark plug boot. Help please. I don't want to break it by force. "

If you get the coil pack off the top and the boot is stuck on the plug...try using compressed air, even one of those little jobs you can keep in the trunk. A hand air pump might even work. Use one of the little tapered adapters if you have one and shoot a little air down the center hole. The boot should pop right off. I did that on my one stuck one when I changed plugs a couple of years ago. One little burst of air from the compressor and it popped right off.

Bill '00 Trooper in Memphis
  • jake1216jake1216 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you very much for the ingenious and BRILLIANT idea. I had several mechanics tell me I can destroy those boots trying to pry, twist and wrench out of the spark plug hole. They are extremely expensive to replace. I was told to you an electrolyte grease on the re-installation of those boots to prevent future melting or adhering of the rubber in the spark plug hole.

I will try your suggestion tomorrow in the 9 degree freezing weather predicted. I'll let you know....Thanks again
    I have a 02' Trooper and cannot locate the transmission dip stick. Is there a transmission oil level indicator?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I wrecked 3 boots before realizing to use the air. It works.

-mike
    Nope, it's a sealed unit.

-mike
    Paisan,

I was lucky...I drove around for 3 days with 5 new plugs and 1 old one before thinking about using the air pressure...was really surprised how easily it popped right off as soon as I turned on the little compressor...I got the kids to get me a real compressor the next year for Christmas :-). I feel lucky that I did NOT ruin that stuck boot...the $150 replacement would be a little painful since you apparently have to buy the complete coil-pak to get the tube :-(

Bill

BTW, I'm hoping for the forecast 72 Sunday...golf in short sleeves perhaps.
  • hermanceusmchermanceusmc Member Posts: 4
    I have an 02 trooper with a 3.5L engine. I cannot find a haynes manual for that year. Does anyone know where I can download some instructions? Thanks.

Also, as far as the spark plug boots ripping, Auto Zone sells the boots seperate for around 8 bucks apiece. You do not need to order the coil packs.
  • christianakeychristianakey Member Posts: 1
    My 1988 Trooper is acting very funny. I just moved to a caribbean island and bought this car from a local a couple weeks ago. He said it was a piece of crap when he got it but he worked on it enough to run smoothly, and very smoothly it did run! Yesterday, however, I started up the car [engine running just fine], but when I put the car in reverse, it just rolled backwards on the hill with no help from the gas pedal. I put it in drive, and I can rev up the engine, but that won't make it go. It just feels like it's in neutral when it's in anything other than park.

I was having problems with my brakes not working, but a little bit of fluid fixed that right up. Same thing with all other fluid levels: as soon as we filled them up, the car ran quite beautifully. The transmission fluid was the only one that didn't need a refill, actually. I have had absolutely no problems with this since I've bought it, not even symptoms. Can it just go out like that immediately? My dad's thinking the transmission filter might be clogged and we'd like to know if we can DIY that job. Does anyone have any pictures or instructions on changing the transmission filter? :sick: :sick: :sick:
    Yup I got a new boot and coil sitting on my shelf I think from when I had to do it!

-mike
  • ectrooperectrooper Member Posts: 2
    I am in the same boat. Just bought an 02 Trooper w/ 91,000 mile. I have been having problems with the keyless entry / anti-theft system. I assume it is the door switches as previously posted by another member. I also have the low idle problem and occasional stalling when I come to a stop and put the trans in neutral or park.

I have not been able to locate a repair manual for this model year. Any suggestions on locating one are appreciated.

Finally, thanks to all for the great forum!

BJK a.k.a. "ectrooper"
  • marshallamarshalla Member Posts: 1
    I've owned an '86 Trooper 2 for 15 years now; recently acquired a second one on ebay for $60. Love the cars. I'm using the one to help me rebuild the other. But I have Lots of questions for the experienced Trooper 2 mechanic: 1) is there a trick to removing the heater core on the 86? As far as I can tell I have it unbolted but the sucker won't budge. I'm afraid to use persuasion (mallet or pry bar) for fear of damage. Any ideas?
    2) I'm getting ready to pull the engine. One source "Haynes" says to pull the tranny first. Another source "Chilton's" doesn't seem concerned with the tranny. Neither one mentions the power steering lines. I'm wondering what else they have failed to mention...I can get everything disconnected ok, but would like to know just what procedure works best. Thanks.
  • mouthychiky3mouthychiky3 Member Posts: 1
    my torque on demand two wheel drive light is flashing and now the check light flashes with it. what can it be and what about would it cost to repair...
  • romleromle Member Posts: 3
    I have an 88 2.6 W the same problem. I have found that the plug in back of the alt has three wires going to it the white wire w a green stripe is the signal. with the plug in the alt jump 12v to that wire then start the motor it should start first shot and run without all the warning lights beaing on n :confuse: o stalling .the signal wire it tells the alt to turn on. ck to see if all three wires have 12v unplug it and w a multi meter ck for 12v at each wire w the key in the run position. dont crank the motor.
    First ck to see if your alt is working. when all your warning lights are on the alt prob wont be charging. speed up the motor when the lights go out the alt should be putting out. I still havent traced out the whole problem it just happened to me. seems like a relay or something mot shure yet
    88 trooper detailed ignision diagrams needed please help. :(
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Online Repair Manuals guide has some sources. If you can get access to the Auto Repair Reference Center, it has wiring guides and firing order diagrams for the 88 Trooper, and info on the two types of electronic ignition systems found on those Troopers.
    So, if you have a transmission oil leak...how do you monitor it?
    We live in the Northeast and get our share of snow. My wife drives our '02 Trooper 90% of the time and occasionally she will engage the 4WD by switching on the TOD on the dashboard. (She doesn't like to use the 4WD gear shift).

A few weeks ago during a sunny February day, we decided to take the Trooper on a day trip to Rhode Island (about 40 miles from our home). While driving back on the highway we heard a disturbing "clunking" sound from the under carriage that we did NOT hear on the trip down. In fact, this was the first time we EVER heard any kind of noise in the 5 1/2 years we owned the vehicle; we were somewhat perplexed..

I pulled over to check out all four tires thoroughly including kicking and shaking them but did not find anything unusual. The clunking continued as we slowly made our way back home.

The following day I told my wife I would drive her to her appointment and then see my mechanic to check out the noise, which had not disappeared. On the way there and while sitting in the passenger seat she gazed over to the dashboard and noticed that the TOD switch was still engaged. She pressed the switch on the dashboard to dis-engage it and VOILA...the clunking stopped...immediately! Better yet...it's been two weeks and NO MORE CLUNKING!

I write this for anyone who may have or have had transmission problems in the past. Who knows....it just might be due to the TOD switch being engaged. I certainly was relieved to think I saved myself an unnecessary repair job and being gouged out of plenty of DOUGH. Hope this helps someone else.
    when is the last time the valves were adjusted? good chance.
    We live in the Northeast and get our share of snow. My wife drives our '02 Trooper 90% of the time and occasionally she will engage the 4WD by switching on the TOD on the dashboard. (She doesn't like to use the 4WD gear shift).

A few weeks ago during a sunny February day, we decided to take the Trooper on a day trip to Rhode Island (about 40 miles from our home). While driving back on the highway we heard a disturbing "clunking" sound from the under carriage that we did NOT hear on the trip down. In fact, this was the first time we EVER heard any kind of noise in the 5 1/2 years we owned the vehicle; we were somewhat perplexed..

I pulled over to check out all four tires thoroughly including kicking and shaking them but did not find anything unusual. The clunking continued as we slowly made our way back home.

The following day I told my wife I would drive her to her appointment and then see my mechanic to check out the noise, which had not disappeared. On the way there and while sitting in the passenger seat she gazed over to the dashboard and noticed that the TOD switch was still engaged. She pressed the switch on the dashboard to dis-engage it and VOILA...the clunking stopped...immediately! Better yet...it's been two weeks and NO MORE CLUNKING!

I write this for anyone who may have or have had transmission problems in the past. Who knows....it just might be due to the TOD switch being engaged. I certainly was relieved to think I saved myself an unnecessary repair job and being gouged out of plenty of DOUGH. Hope this helps.
  • dravin21dravin21 Member Posts: 4
    my 88 trooper does that when the battery is low (offroad lights don't help ).. try a night on a battery charger before getting out the wallet
  • dravin21dravin21 Member Posts: 4
    check alt. connections ... and fuseable links (in fuse box) mine did that .. found a loose wire on alt fried fuselink ..... next time all lights went out alt. belt broke and the computer didnt realize it was running... if all of the lights are on and no blowerfan check anything alternater :sick:
  • alby2alby2 Member Posts: 3
    It has a 2.3L in it, was 400mi to the qt. before rebuild,found exhaust valves tuliped,bottom end checked out great but re-ringed anyway,cat is bypassed,smog pump is gone,a/c is gone.( when I got this vehicle it had a 91 amigo head/intake/exhaust manifold,and carb on it. ) I installed a 86 trooper reman carb on it with the correct shape plug thinking it might help ....Still about 400m to the qt.
    (also, exhaust manifold has a 02 sensor in it that is not and never was hooked up and I couldn't find where it would connect)
  • janispjanisp Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2000 trooper and the TOD light came on last week. Just had it checked by my long-standing mechanic and here's the deal...codes showing are 12,14,24,and 28. Vehicle needs 2 speed sensors at transfer case and a TOD ECU. To the tune of $1200.00. Apparently the 4 wheel drive will not work without these repairs. I have chosen to be a 2 wheeler for a while. Janisp
  • m120m120 Member Posts: 1
    i am new to this forum, and it seems like you know your flash codes pretty well.is there any chance you might know what 4 flashes pause one flash means as well as six flashes pause two flashes?, i dont have a code reader and cant find any liturature that lists the flash codes into dtms .im struggling with an 88 trooper that starts and idles for about 10 minets and then dies and wont restart untile the engine cools,
    thankyou for any assistance you might add
    I don't have a repair manual for a 88 but you can get one free at a library and the the codes should be in it.good luck
    can anyone send me a pic of the engine compartment of an 86 trooper so I can see where the 02 sensor wire connects? or tell me? thanks
  • ghost329ghost329 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 99 trooper. Last year I burned out the engine. When I got it towed back it would still start but now it won't take a charge at all, any suggestions on what could be wrong. I just want to get it started so the mechanics on my military post can diagnose the engine problems and give me an estimate.
  • guavateguavate Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Trooper that after 92,000 mile is giving slight problems when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It doesn't affect the accel. but you can hear it slip. This only happens when hard idling from stop. If run on slow accel. won't happens. My mechanics told me that it only needs trans bands adjusting.?? Does the dealer honor the 10/120 power train
    warranty?? PD. I change the filter and filter the old oil plus add a trans treatment plus less than a quart of high mi. trans. fluid. :)
    If you are the original owner, the 10/120 Power train warranty should still be in effect, assuming you can still find an Isuzu dealer. If you are not the original owner, the warranty is only 5 years, 60K miles I believe.
  • DReynoldsDReynolds Member Posts: 17
    Hi All. I have a 1995 Isuzu Trooper that has a hole in the flex pipe section of the exhaust. I've been told by a shop that it will cost me $2500 for the y pipe and pre catalytic pipe (roughly $2100 just for the pipe). This seems outrageous to me, yet I've been unable to locate this pipe online anywhere. Can anyone help me?
    Is this pipe made out of gold or something? What gives?

Thanks in advance.
    Dwayne 'loud pipe' Reynolds
  • janispjanisp Member Posts: 2
    After 3 weeks with the TOD light flashing "check", and my mechanic quoting 1200.00 to fix it, the darn light went out and all is back to normal!!! I don't get it. I am aware of the multitude of electrical issues in troopers as this is my second and the 93 I had was an electrical nightmare. so, what do you think? Were the sensors just wet or something?? Janisp
    Probably corrosion in the sensors or in the actuator. Make sure to change between AWD/4WD and 2WD 1x a month to keep it lubed.

-mike
  • rearwheeldriverearwheeldrive Member Posts: 140
    Codes are good history reports, but will go away if problem does go away.

My Q-45 was having a bad miss and knock sensor code came up. Three quick flashes and four slow ones,code 34. Well that's what would happen when I'm running on seven cylinders instead of eight . I actually had two ignition coils failing intermittently. Car has 8 coil packs. I checked the both knock sensors when I replaced the coils and one of them was testing good and bad when I moved the connector, so iI replaced it too. I always seem to get an EGR code 32, three quick flashes and 2 slow ones. Im not sur why but I leave my egr ehaust tube hand tight, because they can rust and be hard to remove if necessary. I now got a tube of anti-seize for this.

I went for a smog test and it didn't pass, but just barely. Idle speed HC's are 40-ppm too high. I looked into the problem and checked for codes again. One quick flash and one slow for code 11. I remember the car almost shutting off when under a load a few weeks back so this might have set off this code for bad crank sensor. It runs all the coils and your ignition timing. Then I did a compression test, it indicated the RH bank all 20 psi less on compression than the left. A timing chain change got them up 10 psi to 170 PSI, still below the max of 185PSI. The car passed smog and my code light has not come on for the last day. I left the crank sensor alone, if its still running don't fix it motto.

Doing the chain change, I had to replace all my intake seals, there's eight of them too, and I think that might have been contributing to the slight miss at idle. A big vacuum hose broke in half it too could have been cracked on the curve under neath where I wouldnt see it. It connects to my air filter duct and gets removed regularly when Im troubleshooting my engine. It can make the engine run too lean causing a small miss thus sending HC's out of acceptable limits for smog test. That is raw fuel passing through engine from a cylinder not completely burning all the gasoline, either because its too lean, or weak spark compression. Lean is a low CO reading on the smog test.

From this history you can see only one code ended up causing me to change that component and that one dose not effect normal running perimeters. All others were intermittent and not currently affecting the running of my car. My codes erase after 50 starts, if he problem is not there at that time. Or if I disconnect the battery.Then you have 24 hours to get it out of the backup memory.

This is a pretty sophiticated car for its time, 1990. The only codes to check fuel injectors is codes 45,and 51. Ignition system (coils) is not self dianostic, no codes for testing. Most cars give sensor data through these codes. Throttle postion code43,oxegen sensor 33, ignition signal 21, mph sensor 14,coolent temp 13,air flow meter12. These are my cars codes,most cars are the same.

Code 55 is no malfuntion.
  • mrcanoehead224mrcanoehead224 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '92 (4 door) that I took to Midas last week. they quoted me just over 800 for everything from the manifold back. As it turns out, I didn't need a new catalytlic converter so it set me back just over $500 (Canadian).
  • nickalvrznickalvrz Member Posts: 1
    So I have a 1988 isuzu Trooper II and I just bought this, but I missed something when I bought it...the top of the driver side tire is leaning inward quite a bit...what could this be? I was guessing a tie rod, Ball Joint, or axle or something along those lines. Any suggestions?

Photobucket
    Tire inward on Isuzu?

If its tilted in at the top it most likely the rubber bushing that support the tire and rim to the frame are gone or very worn out. My old F-100 had this problem and was not easy to steer.

Camber is the tilt in and out of the tire at the top.Toe-in is just that. Turn your feet in and thats what toe-in does. I always align my own cars by putting the steering wheel straight and getting on the ground to see where the front tire sidewalls line up to the rear tire.It should be visible on the inside (the rear tire) and just out of sight on the outside.
  • llangusllangus Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone changed a 4 cylinder to a 6 cylinder? I have a Trooper II with a bad 4 cylinder and wondered how hard it would be to change to a 6 cylinder? :sick:
  • llangusllangus Member Posts: 2
    I did the same thing on my cousin's Trooper II. Check to see if you have all the intake tubes connected. once I put them on, it fired right up. :)
  • d_jrayd_jray Member Posts: 5
    I recently replace the left turn signal bulb on my 2000 Chevy Venture Van and now when I turn on my signal and apply the brake, it blinks erratically. Even when I don't have the turn signal on when I apply my brakes, both arows light up, but they do not flash, but they all light up on the back of the van. Any suggestions.. How can this happen by just changing the bulb? Never had any problems before. :confuse:
  • tambratambra Member Posts: 5
    I have the problem of oil leaking into my spark plug wells....I know there are new improved wires to keep the oil off the spark plugs, but I can't find them anywhere. Do you know where I can get these? I have found the part number on myisuzu.com, but no part. I have searched and searched the internet, part stores and dealership, no one seems to know what I am talking about. Thanks for your help.
    Id go back to the beginning get the part number for the bulb and then check it against your van. Autozone should have these manuals to verify part number.
    Theres no such thing as sealing plug wires. Your valve cover gasket is old and needs replaced.
  • tambratambra Member Posts: 5
    Yes there is...there is a flaw in the engine design so Isuzu made a better wire that has a bushing on the end that prevents the oil from seeping up into the spark plug wire....I know my gasket and rings are bad on a couple, but not really enough to go through the expense of changing it all out. The vehicle only has 100,000 on it. Getting the wires is an upgrade that is needed anyway and will be a solution to the problem for awhile. Thanks for trying to help though. Take Care.
    Hi sorry for telling you no such thing exist.
    It sounds like someone is giving you the run around, but you mention something about gaskets and seals . I dont work on these vehicles but responded because my email gave me an alert for this vehicle probably from a past topic.

I went on Autozone site for manuals. They group the repair under one heading for all Isuzu vehicles so Im guessing you have the V6 3.1 or 3.2 liter. Again I cant even make out the pictures but it looks like distributorless ignition like my Q-45. The coils mount right on top of the spark plug. There is no wires in this type of ignition usually. Without seeing it in person I guessing oil is on this part. I replaced the O- rings on my Q-45 when I saw oil on this part. It required the valve cover removal I done a bunch of these over the years and is a great do it yourself repair if you want to save yourself a lot of bucks$$$$. Someone will eventually respond to your specific problem who is more familiar with this vehicle.
  • jellyfish2jellyfish2 Member Posts: 1
    HI out there...................
    I have the above Trooper with the 2.6 liter 4 cylinder, when I start it up it will run for awhile but then if I shut it off It will start but not stay running, and only run for a couple of seconds. I just put gas in it because I thought that was the problem but it is still doing it. I read down the line and it sounds like the same problem that someone else is having but I am not sure. Do I need to change out some sensors? I think I saw something about CO sensors?What is the ECM and what does it look like and could there be some error codes in the brain box(ECM?)??Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jellyfish2
  • kunle1kunle1 Member Posts: 1
    This car was bought a used car and was imported into Nigeria, Africa last month. Since it was bought, i've been experiencing overheating problem, so i had to change the Radiator from single cell to double cell; still, the problem still persists. i noticed that the fan rolls clock-wise while the 1994 isuzu trooper rolls anti clock-wise. I also noticed that the fan is not blowing air into the engine but out. Could it be that the fan is wrongly placed or it is not the fan for the model? (2001 Isuzu Trooper)
  • climbermanclimberman Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1996 Trooper and the there is a ticking noise. I have changed the oil twice put in additives no change and I switch to synthetic oil. Everyone is saying that you can adjust the valves is there any instructions on how to do that?
  • WindPigWindPig Member Posts: 1
    Need Help ASAP
    Hi I have a 1991 V6 Isuzu Trooper Auto. I need to replace the water pump cause it is leaking. Can someone tell me what size star socket I have to get to take off the bolts holding the water pump on. I have not done this on a trooper before what is the process and do I need any special tools. Also do I need to replace anything else ( hoping to use the belt cause I think they are pricey) while I have the pump off? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • cmartman46cmartman46 Member Posts: 4
    Not sure of the size of star socket,probably a 12 mm. Drain,antifreeze,Remove hoses, remove radiator,fan stroud, fan and pully.Serpenten belt removed. Air condition and power stering pump and brackets move out the way.Remove all bolts and nuts..Tap on pump with rubber mallad.Match pump to new one. Clean all mating surfaces real good.And assemble in reverse with new gasket.
    Get a manuel if in doubt.Good luck!
  • scottpodscottpod Member Posts: 1
    Is there a replacement part avaialble for just the plastic/nylon rollers that the regulator arms pop into? These rollers roll in the track that is attached to the bottom of the window in my 1996 trooper with power windows. One of mine are cracked and it makes it so one of the arms pop out. If it is an entire unit, can you suggest a source for the entire unit.