Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Wheels and Tires

jt2000gtjt2000gt Member Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Ford
I am finally putting a new set of wheels on my mustang gt. I have chosen to put 18" Diablo wheels on it, but want to increase the tire size from a P245 to a P265. Will their be enough room?

Comments

• filofilo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 Mustang that I THOUGHT THE FUEL PUMP FAILED. When I checked the connections at the tank I DIDN'T HAVE ANY POWER.I replaced the fuel pump relay and still no power. I need help on what to check next.
    filo
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    You did check the fuse, first - didn't you?
    As long as you keep the outside diameter the same size it won't be a problem. Tirerack.com has a good chart that shows the diameter for different sizes. This will tell you what series you need for a 18" 265 to keep it the same size as stock.
  • u04601u04601 Member Posts: 5
    Bought a new 2006 GT during the Thanksgiving weekend sale. After a week, after I washed the car, I checked the tire pressure and found all four tires were at 25psi. The tire specification for the Pirelli P235/55 ZR17 98W M+S said the maximum pressure should not exceed 51psi. What is a good pressure for everyday driving?
    Why don't people read their owner's manual? There is a placard or sticker in one of the door jambs that will tell you the correct pressure.
  • u04601u04601 Member Posts: 5
    Attually, I had read the owners manual, but did not find the recommended pressure. Thanks for pointing out the sticker on the door jamb. It recommends 32 psi, far below the Max psi and 25% higher than where I received the car at.
    Of course, having Ford recommend a lower psi than the Max shown on the tire reminds me of the Explorer fiasco. Hope there are no issues here.

:confuse:
    Nobody ever recommends the max on the tire. That is the absolute limit of safety and should never be used as a recommendation. You can usually go a little higher than the recommendation since that's normally a compromise for ride quality. 32-26 should be fine - just depends on how you like the ride.

The owner's manual tells you where to find the sticker.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Dealers underflate tires to make the ride seem smoother on test drives. :shades:
  • merinofrmerinofr Member Posts: 2
    I currently own a 2001 V6 Mustang with custom 17" chrome wheels. I am looking into buying a 2007 GT and would like to keep my 2001 Chrome wheels. Will my 2001 Wheels fit the 2007 Mustang? A little help please.
  • riverronriverron Member Posts: 26
    NO,,,,, the 05-07 Mustangs use a completely different back spacing than the 04 and earlier cars.
  • olehounddogolehounddog Member Posts: 5
    Just put factory 16" (off a 2003) on a 2000 that had 15's. How much does this affect the speedo and what has to be replaced to fix it?
    Could be a lot, could be not at all. It's not the size of the wheel, it's the diameter of the tire. As long as the tire diameter doesn't change much you're ok. Do a google for a tire calculator or check tirerack.com.
  • jirasjiras Member Posts: 2
    I currently own a 1999 mustang and I have 20" rims on it. I should have payed more attention when i have to break because I sometimes smell a burning or heating up of the rotors when i go to break sometime suddenly in California traffic. Should I worry about this or should i rethink long term affects? Thanks for any replies. :sick:
  • jirasjiras Member Posts: 2
    Thanks akirby for your help and I will check that out!! Thanks again! :)
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    This is the stupidest statment that has probably evern been posted on this board and this is not the first time it was posted.

DO you really think that dealers have somebody go around and back pressure out of all the tires on the lot? Who do you think they would be able to bill for that?

ALL cars are shipped with the tires at higher pressure then recommended for regular driveing to prevent flat spots durng shipping.

At the dealer, the service department preforms a Pre Delivery Inspection. I suppose at that time the tires could then be under inflated but that would mean you have service personal doing something they know is wrong on purpose and therefore assuming the liability.

Mark
  • nancy49022nancy49022 Member Posts: 6
    i bought a 95 mustang with 20"s on it kronix ekos , i heard that if you drive long on tires it will tear-up your transmission is this true? and can you travel long dist on the highway? are they rough rideing? any answers WELCOME i havent drove it yet!!image
    Why would you buy a car without driving it?

i heard that if you drive long on tires it will tear-up your transmission

Almost everyone drives their mustang on tires. Driving it on the rims is definitely not a good thing.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Not sure if the big-wheel questions were answered, but...

Running 20" wheels will indeed cause more stress/wear on your brake pads. Mostly because you're adding more weight/rotational mass to your car with those big boys, and also because as your stopping distance is increasing, you'll be on the brakes more often.

You might want to look into some heavy-duty brake pads that resist wear/fade.

As for how they ride, the answer is bad, and your performance will drop. Also, you're going to be shelling out huge amounts of money for new tires. But if you're comfortable with that and you like the look, then enjoy!
  • dm20048dm20048 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97' GT w/ 17 alloy wheels i desperatly need new tires, the current ones are offbrand and i would like to replace with good reliable tires. BUT i dont have alot of cash ie: not looking to spend more then 150 per tire.

any suggestions?
    Avon Tech M550 A/S (tirerack.com) or Kumho ECSTA ASX.

You might have to fudge a little on the exact size but as long as you're within 5% of the OEM tire diameter it's ok. Maybe even 10%.
  • grumpy76grumpy76 Member Posts: 9
    Just traded in my 2006 GT Mustang for a 2007 GT Mustang. I had some American Racing Rebel 18 X 10" wides on the rear and 18 X 9" on the front of the 06 and wanted to mount them on the 07. Now the dealer tells me it is not possible unless I spend another $700 for low air pressure sensors and rings that are like what came on the 07.
    My question is: What will it do to the computer if I don't use the low pressure sensors and rings?
    Any input on this subject will be very appreciated.
    Take the sensors out of the wheels that came stock with the 07. You don't need 2 sets of sensors unless you want to beable to mount the stock wheels with say snow tires.

Mark.
    Thank you Mark, I am in need of the stock tires when I need to put on chains. I'm not familiar with these sensors, are they easy to switch back and forth?
    If I had known about this problem I would have kept the 06 but it had an electrical problem, the Shaker 1000 kept draining the battery when it was parked. The dealer still hasn't been able to fix it. But it's their problem now.
    Fords first TPMS used sensors mounted on straps that were strapped to the center of the rim like a rubber band. To my knowledge, this was unique to Ford.

Everone else puts the sensors on the inside of the valve.

Ford realized that their first idea was stupid from a cost standpoint as well as sensors were getting ruined by people who didn't know what they were or that they were there. I think it was the strap more than the sensor getting ruined but I digress.

Accordingly Ford is in the process of abandoning the straps and going with valve mounted sensors.

THAT is why the sensors on your 06 are not compatible with your 07.

Mark
    There was a TSB about this, and it boils down to you have to shut the radio off when you shut off the car.

Mark
    Boy am I glad to find you, as I have a difficult time communicating with my service manager where I used to trade. You notice I said "used to".
    When I went to start my 06 Mustang with a dead battery for the 4th time, I took my 10 amp battery charger and attached it to the battery and the radio came on for about 10 seconds then shut down. After having it towed to the dealership again they kept it all the next day and all they could do was charge the battery. I picked it up and drove it straight home, pulled into the garage and turned off the radio then the ignition. It sat for 3 days and when I returned home and opened the door and the door glass did not drop and the map lights did not go on, dead battery.
    Hence, the 07. To my knowledge, they still can't find anything wrong with it so they are going to put it on the lot and sell it.
    When the weather warms up a little I'll go out and take a look at those sensors and try to make up my mind on what to do.
    I could be wrong but I don't think the 06 had any sensors on it as I used to change the wheels back and forth and never seen any signs of warnings or such.
    Thank you Mark for all the info, I really appreciate it. I hope I will be able to help you someday.
  • easyrider20easyrider20 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Mustang V6
    I purchased Saleen wheels 18X9 for the front and 18X10 for the rear.
    I also want to lower about 1.8"
    What size tires do I need and will I have to do any other modifications?
    Any potential problems with this set up??
    I used BF Goodrich G Force TA KDW's. The front is 255/45 ZR 18 and on the rear is 285/40 ZR 18. This combo has the same diameter as the stock tires.
    I had some more road noise with these so I turned up the radio.
    Don't know if that combo will clear a 2000 Mustang especially if you drop it 1.8".
    Allot will depend on the back space of your wheels. Good luck.
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    I think you are going to have issues. 1.8" drop is a lot plus, the drop will be even more over time. Alignment is going to be a [non-permissible content removed] too. You will need to align the car most likely a few times as the car settles to get the tires to wear correctly.

You can get some nice looking tires on that 10" rim. I have 10.5 and run 315's on mine, but I have 17" rims. The biggest things that you will notice is that the ride and performance of the car will suffer. The added weight of the bigger wheels and tires is going to act like a ancher. Sure, it will look cool, but don't plan on racing anyone and your brakes will wear faster too.

Also, the sidewalls will be a lot stiffer which will hinder traction a lot. You will want to drop the pressure on the tires to about 25 lbs just so you don't feel like you are driving on ice.

I am not impacted by the added weight so much as I have 4.10's on the back and 400 rwhp.
  • easyrider20easyrider20 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I thought as much. I'm not much into racing with my 6cyl. I'll have to settle for cool. I'm open to any and all advice.
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    Cool is good too! There is always a faster car out there.....no matter how fast someone builds one. But none are ever as cool as the one you own.

Make it the way you want it.
  • harrylewis01harrylewis01 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2007 Mustang GT
    I put a set of snow tires on the stock rims that came with the car, and I want to get a summer set of wheel/tires.
    Can I but another set of TPMS sensors online and install them in my summer set of wheels, or will my car only recognize the set that came with the vechicle?

Thank You.
    Gee Harry, your asking the same questions that I have been trying to unravel. From what I have learned (and that isn't much) is the TPMS sensors do have be programed, but I don't know if it's to the cars computer or the sensors themselves. Plus, there are two types sensors but I think the 07's have a common part number.
    My biggest question is: Can I run wheels that don't have any sensors at all and what will it do to the computer?
    Maybe Mark @ mschmal can shed a little light on this subject.
    As an owner of an 07 Mustang GT I would like to run (2) set of whhels (summer & winter)
    Can I purchase another set of TPMS sensors and install these on my summer set of wheel and will they work with my car or is the set that car with the car married to it?
    Ok
    I called over to thetirerack.com.
    I was told the you can buy another set of sensors and mount these on another set of wheels.
    The sensors (I was quoted $80 per wheel for sensors & bands installed) are all the same and are not married to the car.
    Hope this helps anyone looking to answer the same question. :confuse:
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I just bought a set of 17" Bullitt Wheels for my sons 96 V-6 Mustang. The tires are bald and I was wondering why the back set is 275/45-17 and the front is 245/40-17 Is there reason to this madness or can I put a matched set of 245/40-17 all the way around?
    I'm not sure about that year Mustang but I would suspect that it is for clearance so the front wheels can turn from side to side. I suggest you use the same size that are on the front all the way around. Unless the back rims have more width to them than the front rims do. Bare in mind, be careful with the diameters, they should be the same diameter as the stock wheels are or at least the same as the back tires on the car now. Speedometers like it that way. LOL
    This web site is not used at all, I wonder how many years it will take to get a reply? Now back to the subject at hand, (TMPS) are not needed if you don't have any or don't want them. The red light on the instrument cluster will not function, if you can handle that, your good to go.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    have to program news sensors to the car.
This discussion has been closed.