Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan: Tires/Wheels-Road Noise

tmelichertmelicher Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Ford
I have a 2006 Milan and I am having a problem with this horrible road noise comming from the right tire or somewhere in that area. I brought it into the dealership and they told me it was the Characteristics of those tires. I am wondering what you people think and if anyone else has had this problem. And one more thing i was woundering what type of tires are on your cars so i can get back to the dealership. I have michelin tires on mine Hopefully i can get this solved and thanks for the help to all.

Comments

• tmelichertmelicher Member Posts: 4
    this sound only happens in speeds between 30 and 45 mph
  • barbara383barbara383 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there! I had a very similar problem with my brand new car. I took it back to the dealership three times and on the last was told the loud whining noise I heard from 30 miles an hour was a characteristic of the Milan. my reply was, you can tell me Mercury made a mistake when they made my car, but don't even try telling me that a loud whine that sounds like a woman screaming is a characteristic of a brand new car. I then went to the service desk and asked them to look for hot fixes on the computer. I recieved a call from Joe @ the service desk at Holman Ford Lincoln Mercury, saying that a very obscure little dealership in some way out place had found a fix for the problem. They asked me to come back in, and they tied down the drive shaft, with parts sent by Ford. I have had not one peep out of the car since then and it is now a pleasure to drive. DO NOT TAKE NO for an answer. Have your dealership call Joe Brodey @ the service desk at Holman Lincoln Mercury in Maple Shade, NJ. Though they still insist it was a characteristic noise, why would they fix it if it was? There is no such thing as a characteristic noise in a new car. And let me tell you, I came within an inch of selling the car back to them and telling them I was going to start a website for dissatisfied Milan owners. Good Luck and don't take no for an answer!
  • brewski4brewski4 Member Posts: 5
    I just purched a 06 milan v6 with michelin 225/50r17 tires...It rides hard but holds the road good I checked the air pressure and it was 38psi...what should they be set at :confuse:
    Have you had any noise comming from you car at all?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    There should be a sticker either in the glove compartment or on on of the door frames that lists the cold tire pressure that the manufacturer recommends. I don't own a Fusion or Milan, but these are the standard places that manufacturer tire pressure is posted on Ford/Mercury vehicles.
  • brewski4brewski4 Member Posts: 5
    no thank god.... it has 600 miles on it now and runs quit and smooth..It came off the assembly line early june.
    there is a sticker on the divers side beam when you open the door that tells you what the tires should be filled at
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    You need to contact your dealer and make sure they did a PDI on your car before you took delivery.

Tire presures are set High for shipment so flat spots don't happen in transit. (extreme cold drops tire presure)

Always check your tire presure when the tires are COLD.

Mark
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    When in doubt use 32. 38 is far too hard and you risk damage to tires and suspension as well as the stiff ride.
  • dlangdlang Member Posts: 59
    While I agree about 32 because the ride is better, most tires have a cold psi range printed on their side and they go upto 44. Since tire psi goes up when driving you may not want to start cold at 44 but 38 shouldn't damage the tires.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    While I agree about 32 because the ride is better, most tires have a cold psi range printed on their side and they go upto 44.

The 44psi is the maximum pressure allowed for that tire (note on the tire it says MAX Pressure). It would only be applicable if the tire was under it's maximum load capabilities (which will never happen on a normal passenger car). The recommended tire pressures for your particular car, are on a label on the driver's door pillar. Some require less for the rear, than the front (more weight in the front). The most common pressure is 32psi for passenger cars. My label says 32psi front, and 29psi rear.
  • mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    I am 'considering' a Fusion with an I4, but was concerned about engine and road noise in the cabin. I have to confess that I have NOT yet taken one for a test drive, but:
    1). I have a Mazda Tribute with the Ford I4 Cyl engine and the road and engine noice is terrible.
    2) Consumer Rpts notes that sound is an issue with the 4 Cyl.

Should I just stay away, and concentrate on the Nissan Altima or Hyundai Sonata with their 4 Cyl engines?

Thanks.
    I sell both Fusions and Altimas and IMHO, the engine noise is the same for both. Road noise is not a problem.

Both of these engines use chains so the noise is kind of a higher pitch than on previous 4 cylinders with belts. Honda and Hyundai probably use a belt. Big repair cost.

Quiet is much much better than 07 and previous Escapes.

Mark.
  • wwqqedmundswwqqedmunds Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 07 Milan V6 Premier with Moonroof two days ago. I noted some weired noise during highway driving. The noise sounds like some vanes of a fan are vibrating. But it's not the A/C system since even after I turn A/C off, I still get the noise. It also sounds like some window glasses are not fixed firmly. When I make a turn at high speed, I hear that the noise comes from one side of the car. However, when I drive straight, I feel the noise comes from under the manual break/transmission part.

I am not sure if this is just some kind of wind noise or shows a much bigger problem. Shall I take it to the dealership for repair?
  • bl465bl465 Member Posts: 2
    The OEM tires with the 2006 Milan are P225/50R17. I want to replace them due to damage on one and treadwear but finding they are expensive at Costco, BJs, Sears and not many choices. Costco has 4 Michelins over $200/each and one BF Goodrich at $149. BJ's has none stocked. Sears has 11 starting at $189. Some tire sites, like Sears, show you can use P205/60R16 instead which have much more selection (23 stocked at Sears) and lower prices starting at $54.96.

Any issues going with a different size tire? Do the 2007 and 2008 Milan and Fusion also use this expensive size tire? :surprise:
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Yes, they're the same. You can change the tire size as long as the overall diameter is close. But you can't go from a 225/50R17 to a 205/60R16 unless you change the 17" wheels to 16" wheels.

For less expensive tires try Avon Tech M550 A/S or Yokohama Avid series. They're available in the OEM size and they're less than $130.
    This is SECRET info.

Go to www.tirerack.con. Find the tire you want. Print out the price. Then call local Ford /LM dealers until you find one that has the price match guarantee for tires.

Take the tirerack price down to the dealer and insist that they match the price. Speak to the manager if you have to.

Mark
  • bl465bl465 Member Posts: 2
    Because I'm leaving shortly on a long road trip, I didn't have time to shop around nor did I know 17" P225/50R17 tires are harder to find in stock. I ended up at Costco with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S at $200 each as they were the only ones in stock and they checked 4 other warehouses. Takes 5+ days to special order tires. All others were higher than $200 except a new BF Goodrich one at $150. Wasn't any cheaper at TireRack when you add in the road hazard warranty that Costco includes. Didn't go with a local dealer since I'm traveling to NYC and FL from Boston and can go to any Costco if needed.

While I only bought a pair, good news is the car rides so much better and noticeable gas mileage increase, almost 5 mpg increase so far. Seems like the Milan OEM tires may be causing the lower city MPG. Mine were also Michelin, don't remember which model. I did have a Mercury TSB done 2 weeks ago to update the computer but didn't notice much MPG increase until adding these tires. Wonder if using 4 would be even better.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I think the TSB that you had done accounts for most of your MPG increase. Two new tires would not come close to a 5 mpg increase unless they replaced two flat tires. What condition are your two old remaining tires on the car in? If they have a lot of wear I would replace them as well. More for safety then mileage gain.
  • gw463gw463 Member Posts: 1
    I put Yokohama Avid on my '04 Camry and love the tires. Got them on-line at TireRack.
  • ddlpacddlpac Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2006 Fusion with allegedly new tires...I got 6 months of heavy highway driving...and they needed replacing. So I did, with Nokians, I4's I think, anyway, 6 more months and 18 k miles and another set of tires is ruined...any one have similar problems...I figure this is 3 sets of tires on the car with 60k miles on it...under highway conditions.
    Are the tires wearing evenly? Are you rotating them? 20K miles on a set of tires is not uncommon. Do you have the 16" or 17" tires? 16's might be cheaper and might last a bit longer but you'd have to change wheels if you have 17's now.
    The Nokians were 60K mile treadwear...and yes, rotating...not every 6k as suggested, but rotating. I've never had a car NOT get the reccomended treadwear the way I drive.
    Assuming the tire wear is even across the tread, the only thing I can think of is to have the alignment checked - specifically the front toe-in. That's the only thing I can think of that would affect normal tire wear.
    Very Good...you appear to know what you are talking about. The toe was off...and subsequently re-aligned...I guess I am wondering...will I continue to blow through tires?
    No guarantee, but it should definitely be better than before. When the toe-in is off the tire is basically being scrubbed sideways when you're driving straight.
  • vmax1948vmax1948 Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 Fusion SEL (30,356 miles) has been developing a terrible road noise. It is coming from the rear. My dealer says its worn tires but I had them rotated and the noise is the same. The tires look fine. The noise is much worse above 60. It has Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 P225/50R17

Is there a fix or maybe someone has had better luck with different type or brand of tires.
    Could definitely be the tires - some are worse than others. It could also be a wheel bearing. Try jacking up the rear and spinning the tire (in neutral, parking brake off of course - be sure to block the tires so it can't roll). If it's a bearing you should hear something on just one side.
  • have1merchave1merc Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a set of Dunlops from the tirerack @ 141. a piece for the 225 50 R17. awesome deal. i didn't bother with the local dealers, they are way over priced.
  • dumbledoredumbledore Member Posts: 3
    I bought an 08 Milan back in Jan. I have a 2000 camry and the road noise is quite a bit more pronounced in the Milan. My Camry is a CE, nothing special but it is quiet. The Milan is just a loud car. Its like its just not as tight as the Camry. I like it...I guess. For the money it wasn't bad and it does look good. I think I wish I had bought another Camry.... :(
    And that includes a print out from TireRack.com

Most dealers do participate.

Mark
  • rgag081499rgag081499 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue... 06 V6 46,000 miles the noise was comming from the rear till i rotated them now its is comming from the front. also noticed since the tires are new (Toyo tires) the tread pattern looks like the toe might be off do to raised tread pattern...
  • vmax1948vmax1948 Member Posts: 2
    My problem was the tires. I talked to several Fusion owners and several had the same problem and they blamed the tires. I replaced the Michelin original equipment tires with Bridgestone HP550's and the noise is completely gone. The tires are quite and handle well. I am done with Michelin's, at least for the Fusion.
  • blumsteinblumstein Member Posts: 38
    OTOH, I have an 07 Milan V6 Premiere with 22k miles and do not have Noisy tires. Mine are also Michelin, but I don't recall what size off hand. Perhaps it is a size problem or a batch problem.

Paul
  • lyndablyndab Member Posts: 1
    I don't know whether I am asking this on the proper board or not but here goes. You can yell at me later. We bought a 2006 Fusion and love it...but, in wet weather the rear tires slip sideways, mainly on asphalt skin patches (used to repair cracks on the highway). Dry weather, it corners beautifly. It's a little unnerving as you feel like you hit an icy patch and you could go into a skid. Never experienced anything like this before. I know motorcyclists complain about those skin patches. We have quite a few patches on our main highway into town. We've had the tires rotated and they are Michelins. Thanks
    Not sure there's anything you can do about that - the Michelin tires have plenty of grip. If it doesn't do it on normal pavement I'd say that you'd get that with most any tire. However, something like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S might do a little better - but you'll pay for it.
  • GenoHGenoH Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem -- I have continental ContiProContacts. 2007 4cyl FWD.
    Gets even worst in ice/Snow- almost undriveable. Rotated Tires, bought two new ones for front on dealer recommendation. Didn't really help. Only 18k on originals. Also, had alignment done - didn't help. Also, dealer has suggested to try new ones on back - no real change.
    Slip on skin patches, man-hole covers, bridge expansion joints -- very unnerving. Mostly slip toward the traffic side which even makes it more interesting.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
    If you're routinely driving in ice and snow you really need winter tires. Michelin all seasons might do better but not much.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    I have the Michelin original equipment and they do a very poor job on the snow and ice. Has anyone else noticed the flatspotting that happens when it gets cold? It does go away after a few miles but it has been a long time since I noticed that in any of my cars in the winter time. Won't be driving it much for awhile.
  • neile457neile457 Member Posts: 65
    Another Newbie here. I have a 08 Fusion SE 4cyl with the Conti tires. Really bad road noise. I am looking for a tire that's ________, in this order. Any recommendations.

1. High Tread life
    2. Low Rolling Resistance
    2. Quiet

Don't care about ice and snow traction. I am thinking the Avid from Yokohama. Any ideas.

I also saw from CR that the Dayton Grenadier PLE is a good choice, but I can't find anyone that sells it. Thanks in advance.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    I have the Avid H4S on my V6 Accord. Terrific tires, very quiet, decent fuel economy without the extreme compromises I've seen with super-high-mileage (80k) Bridgestones etc.
  • blumsteinblumstein Member Posts: 38
    I have a 2007 Milan V6 Premier. I have 17" rims with a 50 aspect. Your choices will probably be different, but let me tell you how I solved mine. I went to tirerack.com. They have the results of tire tests and customer surveys. They will give you recommendations for your car or you can look up your size and figure it out for yourself. I wanted great treadlife & wet & dry handling as well as being okay in the snow. I ended up buying Kumho Extasy (sp?) LX Platinums and so far love them. (No snow yet to test them there). Tirerack will show you that it has a slightly hire load rating than my original Michelins. They warn you that might be too harsh. It isn't.

Tire Rack sends the tires to you or your installer. They have a directory of installers that don't hassle you about buying over the net and guarantee their installation prices. Works for me.
  • jeff_hjeff_h Member Posts: 20
    I've ordered 3 sets of tires from tirerack and their prices are good, the only complaint I've seen from online reviews of installers is that a mounting price per tire is $11.99 (for example) and the customer found out that the installer charged $20 (or so) per tire, saying that the price listed on tirerack was outdated. So if you take this route, call the potential installer yourself and verify the price before handing over the keys.

The OP also noted that you can have the tires delivered to your house or directly to the installer. I guess this is preference, but I alway chose to get delivery at my house and taking them with me. It is a small amount of legwork but ensures that there are no mixups on your tire order and that your nice new tires didn't get put onto another car the day prior.
  • hickorychickoryc Member Posts: 25
    I ordered a set of 4 Michelins for my Expedition. Wanted same as bought for it over 5 years ago as the ride is excellent, the tread is great, the miles on this set is 70,000. Ordered from Sams Club on line. You do not pay up front. Took the order confirmation to Pep Boys. They have a sign up that they will beat any advertised price by 5%; and they did. Currently they have a sale: buy 3, get 4th tire free. Right down the line, Pep Boys beat not only tire but valve stem, install, road-hazard, everything by 5%. Now I mail off the receipt and the rebate form and I will receive a check for $135 (the competitive price of the LTX tire). In the end, the new set will cost me the same as I paid Sams Club five years ago---for the same great tires.
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    I am looking at a '10 Hybrid....Tires are 17" Michelin v-rated...I am hearing they are terrible in the snow(I live in Mass. we get snow) I need feedback !!! :confuse:
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    I think part of the problem is inherent due to the fact that it is a relatively low profile, wide tire, (50 series)..you gain better dry handling and summer, dry traction with these tires but they come at the expense of a generally harsher ride, poorer gas mileage, thread life, snow traction and higher replacement costs... just compare the replacement costs of a base, (S model) fusion tire which is smaller and offers better epa gas mileage, (34 vs 31 hwy) with the larger tires that come with the higher trim line models...
  • neile457neile457 Member Posts: 65
    OK, I just got new tires. Only 1 day of use, 120 miles, combined city and highway. Tires I weren't even looking at until I looked at the rankings at tirerack.com.

Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity with 70,000 mile warranty. I know it's early. But these are much better than my Conti's that they replaced, so far. Good ride, and quiet.
This discussion has been closed.