Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 Tires and Wheels

Comments

• gdclnfngdclnfn Member Posts: 3
    I just had my 15K service done on my '06 XC90 2.5T. Shocker, the tires needed replacing. Wear is even, but tires are bald. Dealer called and said that Pirelli would replace the Scorpions with Pirelli STR's for no charge. The caveat is that I will have to pay the dealer $120 for an alignment. Yes, I'm happy that Volvo and Pirelli recognize their tires are not suitable for this vehicle, however, I don't feel as I should be required to pay for an alignment on a vehicle with only 15K miles. Am I wrong for feeling this way?
  • nelaconelaco Member Posts: 6
    I had my tires replaced under warranty and I did not get charged for alignment nor installation/balancing. Go to a different dealer or better yet, call Volvo directly.

Nelson
  • jccai1jccai1 Member Posts: 113
    It's been a while since any new postings here. Any opinions on this GY tire? I noticed it on TireRack and it's one of the few all-season tires available in 235/60R18. Much cheaper than the Michelin. Load factor is compatible with the XC90, too. Customer comments on TireRack seem mostly positive, but all of them seem to drive sedans. Just curious what XC90 owners think.
  • jccai1jccai1 Member Posts: 113
    I posted this question on the other tire thread also. Just wondering what people think of this tire.

I saw this tire on TireRack. It's V-rated with a load index compatible with the XC90. It's all-season touring, with AAA rating and a tread wear index higher than that of the Michelin. And it's available in 235/60R18. I didn't see any comments on this tire from any mid-size SUV owners on TireRack. Most sedan drivers praised this tire.

I don't usually like GY tires, but at $144, it's much more affordable than the $217 Michelin, which won't last more than 25k miles.
  • 44ad44ad Member Posts: 12
    I've now had this happen with two different XC90's. Our 2005 T6 (replaced 10/06 under CA lemon law due to untraceable electrical drain problem)needed new tires because of bad outside wear at front at about 12,000 miles. I paid 25% of cost, Volvo paid 75% that time (and those were Michelin's, not the Pirellis). Our 2007 V8 (otherwise a much better car than the 05 T6), had the right front wear show up at 7,500 miles, also Michelin's. First dealer blew me off entirely, so as soon as I have time I'm headed back to dealer who did the 7500 service (at about 6,200 miles, no problem reported then) and who took care of me on the other car. Either way, I'll need four new tires due to tread depth differential.

Having had it happen on two different cars, I'm convinced that even by the tire-eating standards of most SUV's this is a design defect. Volvo should own up to it and provide free tire replacement at least up to MFG warranty point, and better yet, for life of vehicle.
  • rman75rman75 Member Posts: 1
    I too, have experienced bearing problems and tire wear. My 2005, V8 XC90 has now had the 2nd set of wheel bearings replaced. After the first set, I knew the telltale sign was the sound of driving on snow tires. And one of my 4 tires (Michelin's) has severe tread wear in the center. Another tire is not quite as bad, and the other two are Ok.

So now it seems my two year old car, with 46,000 miles should be quickly dumped before I have more trouble. How do we all band together so that Volvo supports us?
  • go_canesgo_canes Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the Michelins on my wifes XC90 with only 12,000 miles. Was yours our anyone out there replaced for free (Warranty).
    My dealership (Volvoville LI) will not honor any waranty on the tires and they say I have to pay for them?? That is ridiculous I bought this vehicle for my wife to drive our children in because of it's outstanding safety record. My Volvo dealership say's: the way the tread on my Michelins is worn is because they are improperly inflated maintained?? BS
    Someone have any advice?

Thanks

Frank
  • frog_powersfrog_powers Member Posts: 2
    I recently hit a pothole and subsequently had the car checked out. They could not find anything wrong with the car but when I drive the car, the front left tire seems to be very noisy. it makes a sound as if the rim is warped. The car does not pull to any side and the steering is still very stable. Has anyone ever experienced this? Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Are you noticing any loss of air pressure in the front left tire?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • frog_powersfrog_powers Member Posts: 2
    I have not experienced any loss in tire pressure.
  • lostchildlostchild Member Posts: 17
    Maybe one of the weights fell out and you need to rebalance the tires?
  • icequeenicequeen Member Posts: 1
    Holy cow! Reading this forum on the XC90 and it doesn't look good. The main complaint of brakes, rods, suspension, bearings, is a expensive journal being written. And the amount of miles ....shocking.
    I own a 2004 XC90 turbo with 20k on it right now and I love the car. I have had some problems that were unexpected for a $45,000+ BRAND NEW CAR, that should never been an issue. Living in New Hampshire, and having to drive 100 miles+ round trip to the nearest dealer tend to make me cranky, but the dealer took care of the issues at their cost.
    My tires were shot at 14k. I was just doing research for tires and came across this forum. All I can say is thank you to all that have posted their issues and I am now tossing the ball around with the idea of S E L L I N G. I am on a fixed income being retired. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on repair of a new car, the time and travel for repairs, and fighing with the dealer every step. I too damn old.
  • lovnthevolvo1lovnthevolvo1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 Volvo XC 90 had to have new set of tires at 15,000. Now at 37,500 I'm told I need another new set. Any idea of a really good make/model of replacement tires for longer wear?
  • dontevendonteven Member Posts: 4
    I have new Michelin tires after 18K on my XC90. This will be my last Volvo purchase after attempting to get new tires with Volvo and Pirelli. As of 9/25/07 Volvo America states that you will be partially reimbursed based on tread wear, it must be less than 3/32 and under 24K mileage. I don't care how long these companies have been in business and what kind of products they have produced in the past, they are sending a different message by jeopardizing your safety and not owning up to it.
  • cdofilcdofil Member Posts: 1
    I have 2006 XC90 2.5T with Pirelli Scorpion installed and I agree with most of postings on this thread that it is highly unusual to have tire replacement at early stage. I somehow feel lucky that @ 28,000+ miles only then that I got notice from service that I should replace my tires the soonest. Mine has some "uneven" capping issues but I would equate this to several incidents that I had to do emergency hard stop thus screaching my tires. I have asked the dealership service about the tire wear issue and they said that Pirelli tires are "softer" tires giving more grip on the road and the XC90 safety are rated based on this. They gave me advice that if I ever consider buying other tires that are "harder" (which equates to longer thread life) I should also take into consideration the safety aspect where it affects the stability control of the vehicle. I am now shopping for a new set of tires that are between "soft" and "hard" probably a thread wear grade of 350+. Thanks to the users who suggested several brands and models - I'm looking at Bridgetone Dueler - we'll see then. :shades:
  • jim314jim314 Member Posts: 491
    Which model of Michelin tires were OE and what model did you replace them with?
    My tires are Michelin MXV4 Energy. This was recommended by Just Tires as well as NTB. I just checked on the Michelin website and these are also recommended along with another tire. This is for a softer ride. So far so good, no weird sounds, etc. These tires are expected to last around 35K or so.
    My 2004 V70 base model 2.4L 168 hp came with Michelin MXV4 Energy (195/65-15) and three of them now have 30 kmi on them. I don't have a tread gauge, but the tread is getting near the minimum. The 4th tire (rear pass side) is only about a year old because of an unrepairable puncture in the original tire when this car was being driven by my wife. My wife picked up a roofing staple outside Discount Tire's repair zone. If I had been driving this car, I would have tried to plug it and if that had worked I would not have to worry now about how many tires to buy when the tread on the three originals gets too low.

My wife's 2007 XC90 3.2 came with Michelin 4X4 Synchrone (235/65-17) and they only have about 5500 miles on them so I cannot say how they will wear.
    On the Michelin site the MXV4 Plus Energy is touted as promoting fuel efficiency and being longer lasting, starting tread is 10/32". My 04 V70 gets great highway fuel economy, up to 34 mpg on IH. Maybe your mpg (esp highway) will increase with these tires.

The 4X4 Synchrone is described as having superior all weather traction, starting tread 13/32".

"Energy™ MXV4®: Get More Miles For Your Money; Enjoy A Quiet, Comfortable Ride; Go Farther With Each Tank Of Gas; 400 A A

http://www.michelinman.com/michelinman/action/tires/find-by-tire-size/compare/

"Plus 4x4 Synchrone®: Experience Grip In All Seasons; 380 AA A "

Both tires are rated at 51 psi max and I set them at 40 psi cold despite the fact that the tire placqards recommend a somewhat lower pressure. The MXV4 Plus is rated at a higher load-- 1984lbs. (at 51 psi) vs 1804lbs. (at 51 *psi) for the 4x4 Synchrone.
  • martyfmartyf Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2004 XC90 3.2 and have had good luck with the tires. I had over 30,000 miles on the original tires -- 4X4 Synchrone -- with good tread left when I had a flat that could not be fixed. I didn't want to buy 1 new tire, especially the expensive Michelins so I bought a set of Bridgetone Duelers. With about 5,000 miles to date they have been very good, although I also did not have any problems with the Synchrones.
  • louharrylouharry Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I purchased a used 04 XC90 and have had the vehicle for less than a year. After 3 months, our front tires outside tread, Michelin Pilots, wore down to 2/32. We have had 3 alignments and numerous appointments with Volvo and Discount Tire about the situation. We have just been informed that the back tread is now down to 2/32 and we haven't had the vehicle a full year. We are past the warranty and now have to pay out of pocket for a new set of tires. I would like to know if anyone has any recommendation's? There has to be something defective with the vehicle.
  • paul234paul234 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a 4 season tire (17") for XC90 and not impressed with winter traction of OEM tires. I am considering the following:

Nokian WR SUV
    Goodyear Fortera Triple Tread
    Michelin All Terrain (in the 17" size it has an LTX M&S hybrid tread pattern)

Any recommendations by those that have driven them on the XC90 would be appreciated. Interested in your comments relative to handling, noise, ride and wear.

Thanks
  • allaboutcarsallaboutcars Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 V8 XC90 and have the same problem. My wife got into an accident a few years ago and I thought the wear was caused by it. I had the truck aligned by a local shop first and then decided to take it to Volvo after I felt the problem wasn’t resolved. To this day it's still doing the same thing and causing the same odd ware pattern on the outside of the tire. I’m looking for a new set of tires and I don’t even know where to start. It seems like all of the tires made for its 235-60-18 size are all terrible. Any advice?
  • sarduccisarducci Member Posts: 4
    What was the mileage when the wheel bearings went? Did they replace them for free? Thanks.
  • miamibeachmiamibeach Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Volvo XC90 is the worst car I have ever had. My car has under 24K miles and needs new tires already, as many other people have written about. It has also had to have replaced 18 months later corroded and rear rotors and bearings. I originally took the car in to check out a rubbing type of noise in the front column that after reading others' complaints seems to be a common problem. How it turned out to be corroded rear rotors is beyond me, and them for that matter. First they claimed we must have had the car submerged under water (while the rest of the vehicle remained in pristine condition with no evidence of water). Then they suggested we had the car up north in snow conditions. We live year round in Florida. Deel Volvo of Coral Gables FL expected us to pay for it ($3,000+). We refused to pay and said we would leave the car with them and start litigation. They ended up footing the bill and told us "it was a one time courtesy" repair like they were doing us a big extended favor. I just took the car in for its 3rd 7500 mile service and they rotated the tires (which by the way they mentioned nothing about the tire tread until I asked them about it) and now the tires make a lot of noise as if I am driving a jeep wrangler with the top down. They said to me before I left, "you will hear a "whirring" noise from the tires, it's nothing." The steering, brake system, wheel system on this car is terrible. If you want to give yourself a huge headache, spend loads of money on constant repairs and labor rip offs, get this car. Volvo corporate is no better, offering no solutions or help in answering questions. Their roadside assistance program is slow, with rude and unprofessional site employees. I did not receive any response from Volvo when I sent a complaint in about one of their roadside assistance service guys. I cant wait to get rid of this car and unfortunatety have another 18 months to go. If you ask me Volvo is hiding a lot, and the safety of this vehicle is at question. :mad: :lemon:
  • jpixjpix Member Posts: 4
    I was about to purchase a new XC90 on the 24 month/24000 lease plan. I'm kinda' worried that I'll have to replace the tires before lease end. May be enough to make me buy some other car.

What brands of tires are brand new XC90s equipped with and are they any good?
  • ipeteipete Member Posts: 1
    My wife have a 06 Volvo XC90 which she purchased new. After about 4-6 months, I notice an increase in noise coming from the tires. After numerous complaints to the service department, they changed the tires. Again, after about 6 months, the noise returned. This time they said that it was normal because of the type of tires. I continued to complain and they changed the tires again. She have put about 15,000 miles on these tires and the noise is back again. I called the dealership last week to request an appointment and the service manager quickly asked me how many miles did we have on the vehicle which is 38,000 miles. He said that Volvo will not give me any more new tires. I told him that I was never interested in new tire, I am interested in finding and fixing the problem that is causing the abnormal tire wear. He said he did not know what was causing it to wear and that they have seen this in other Volvo XC90's. Additionally, he is very rude and have never been a custormer friendly manager. I sent a note to the BBB last week and still waiting to hear from them. The very reason that my wife choose Volvo was her expectation of better customer service, however so far at least with this dealership, this has been far from the truth. We are comtemplating our options at this point. I am highly disappointed with Volvo service department. :mad:
  • skymetzskymetz Member Posts: 1
    I live in Anchorage Alaska. I own a 2004 Volvo XC90. I have 46,000 miles on my vehicle (6 months using Nokian Hakapalitta's studded tires, 6 months of michelin Pilots that came with the car, over the course of 46,000 miles). The Nokian studded tires are in much better shape than the tires that came with the vehicle. I have outer wear on all 4 tires that came with the vehicle. Does anyone have any recommendations on what tires to purchase that will last at least 30,000 miles with the XC90 in summer conditions such as Tampa Florida because that is where I am moving to this summer. My Volvo has handled like a champion on snow and ice! With that being said this is a list of issues with my XC90, 12,000 miles they had to replace the sway bar assembly $1200(covered by warranty) because it felt like my power steering had gone out. I noticed very slight play in the steering wheel ever since, took it to Volvo they said it is fine. Had to have stereo replaced because it stopped working. Replaced front brakes at 40,000 miles(Volvo replaces all parts including metal parts when brakes are fixed). When I stop slowly (every now and then) my brakes squeak. Volvo checked my brakes again and said they were fixed properly (said they could not reproduce sound). 46,400 mile mark heard noise in rear of vehicle (they replaced the rear wheel bearings). When they fixed the bearings they called me and said did you notice that your car turns like a truck in low drive. I said "I told you guys this before and you said everything is fine". Bottom line is that my fuse went out that aids the power steering. They fixed it right or so I thought, at the dealership when the attendant brought my vehicle around he said that the fuse crapped out and it must be the computer tripping it. So they are rushing a new fuse in for me. Bottom line is that I love the XC90 especially in winter, but it has had problems. If you do buy one BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY! These vehicles are not cheap to fix. They hold an excellent resale value so I will keep it until I hit 100,000 miles then it is Surburban Hybrid time. Good Luck, Sky
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I have outer wear on all 4 tires...

It sounds like you're driving with your tires underinflated. Have you checked that possibility?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I have an extended warranty but will trade this car in after the warranty is up. I wouldn't recommend this vehicle to anyone. The new tires I have are Michelin Energy MXV4 recommended by NTB. The old tires were replaced after 18K, Volvo and Perelli would not replace these unless your tires are bald. Nice safety promotion, right? Our next vehicle would be hybrid also.
    Anyone interested in drafting a letter to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration?
    I do not lightly go against the manufacturer's recommendation on tire inflation pressure, but it seems to me that the recommended pressures for US models are too low for smooth pavement. I inflate to 40 psi both in my 2004 V70 (Michelin MXV4 Plus Energy 195/65-15) and in my wife's 2007 XC90 3.2 FWD (Michelin 4x4 Synchrone 235/65-17), and I see no uneven tire wear. Both of these tire models have a max infl press of 51 psi, but 40 psi should still be OK in tires rated to 44 psi max.

I wish there was more informed discussion on the rationale for tire pressure recommendations. I do wonder if I could be reducing the tire contact patch, but until I read something authoritative which recommends against this practice or see some excess wear in the center, I am going to continue this. Excessive inflation could cause excessive wear to suspension components, but where we drive we are able to avoid potholes and don't have to just drive through them.
  • kylechoffmankylechoffman Member Posts: 79
    Took my XC in on Friday for 22500 mile servicing. Front pads were toast so spend 190 to have those replaced. Rear pads are at 8mm so those should be good for a while.

I asked about the tires at 17K and again on Friday and they said the fronts are at 3.32 and the backs at 2.32 - Not exactly sure how the rears would wear more than the fronts since this is a FWD suv most of the time but in any event, I didnt question the dealer since they have been great on service with me. Dialed up Volvo north america and filed a complaint this morning about an hour ago. Service guy from my dealer called me a few minutes ago and stated that Volvo NA will pick up 50 % of the cost on the tires and labor, replacing the tires with the same michelins that are on my xc. Service guy stated that the tires run 240 a tire plus 75 for labor/ install plus 45 for alignment so I would have to cover the alignment costs plus half of everything else - Just under 600 bucks.

I asked the service guy to contact Volvo NA to see if there were better tires that I could replace them with since im not entirely happy with the Michelins. They ride terribly and I dont go off rroad, in snow at all and it rarely rains here (San Diego). So for me, I want the quietest, smoothest ride for 30K miles.

Just updating all of you that you can still get a discount from volvo NA.
  • oldjim3oldjim3 Member Posts: 13
    Anyone on the forum knowledgeable about XC90 rear wheel alignment?

I have a 2004 XC90 T-6 with 85k miles on it. I have had what I consider good tire wear for most of it's life, but all of a sudden I apparently have a rear wheel camber problem and am eating up the inside of the rear tires. The problem seems to have developed in a short time period.

The vehicle is infrequently driven on very rough mountain roads but was recently subjected to this environment.

The weight load on the vehicle is normally a single person but I also always carry approximately 300 lbs of equipment in the rear of the vehicle. The last alignment check was at approx. 45k miles and no adjustments were required to the rear at that time.

The rear wheels have always previously set very square on the road regardless of the load being carried.

How is the camber of the rear wheels controlled?

Is there a torsion bar or other part that ages or might have failed?

Other thoughts?

Putting a new set of tires on the vehicle this week and want to promptly correct the problem.

Thanks for all help.

- OldJim
  • oldjim3oldjim3 Member Posts: 13
    This is additional feedback for those who read my discussion above regarding XC90 rear wheel alignment.

My dealer was able to immediately identify the problem and correct it. The problem was not camber (which is not really adjustable - you normally replace worn parts) but Toe instead. The rear tires were toed out and the inside of the tires were being scraped off at a very alarming rate.

The problem was identified as bent Toe Adjustment Bars. There are individual bars for each of the rear wheels and both of them were significantly bent in the approximately same relative location. It did not take long to recognize that some force had been applied to each of them that produced the bend and resulting Toe adjustment error.

The mystery was solved when I remembered having AAA tow the car to the dealer (you always tow an XC90 AWD on a flatbed) for service approximately one month earlier. The untrained tow truck driver apparently secured the car to the truck by chaining it down using the Toe Adjustment Bars instead of the tow attachments.

Once again a story of expecting experienced service personnel to know what they are doing, only to find that they cause more damage than they solve. Because of the location of the Toe Adjustment Bars, I suspect others will have a similar experience. Hopefully this note will prevent at least one instance.

Kudos to the Towing company that admitted their error and paid for an expensive repair and re-alignment. It would have been nice to have had the tires covered too but they were coming close to the end of their life anyway.

- OldJim
  • dvenodveno Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at the Michelin Latitude Tour HP as the replacement tires for my 2006 XC90. Any thoughts about replacement tires for this vehicle?
    Donna V
    The Michelin Latitude Tour HP would seem like a sensible choice in a Michelin, but I personally would try a Kumho, especially the Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 with rating 104H, 600 A A, at a much lower price than the Michelins.

Here are reviews from tirerack.com. See this.

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD
    Kumho Road Venture APT KL51
    Miles driven on tires: 7,500
    Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
    Driving Style: Average

Initial Review, 7,500 Miles on Tires
    April 15, 2008

Great value in this tire. Replaced the OEM Michelins after 35K miles for half the price and frankly it seems like these Kumhos were made for the XC90. Tires are unbelievably quiet and smooth. Driving in heavy rain is not much different than driving on dry payment as the tire displaces the water efficiently. Cornering is pretty good, but then again, I'm not taking tight corners with an SUV. Some have complained about the sidewall being unattractive. I think it's fine. Nobody is looking at your tires anyway. Treadlife rating is superior and so far after 7500 miles no real sign of treadwear.

2005 Acura MDX
    Kumho Road Venture APT KL51
    Miles driven on tires: 3,000
    Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
    Driving Style: Average

Initial Review, 3,000 Miles on Tires
    April 13, 2008

The Kunho's transformed my MDX, for $400 less than replacement Michelins would have cost. They're quieter, much better riding with sharper turn then the Michelins. I wouldn't have supposed tires could have made such a difference. I was going to trade in the MDX, but decided to try the new tires instead. Such was the change they made that it's now my vehicle of choice, even around town in preference to my TL.
  • sshalitasshalita Member Posts: 12
    The biggest challenge I have seen is that for 18" rims there are very few choices for tires. Michelin's have probably been the best choice of the bunch - at least for 18" rims - there are more choices if you have the 17"s. But now I believe that there is a real alternative. I needed tires for my 2005 XC90 V8 and found this post. I bought these tires (Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 - 18") based upon this post and doing some additional research about comments on the tire and the company.

Granted, it has only been a week since I had them installed, but they are great. VERY REASONABLE in price - at least 1/2 the cost of Michelin's. Handling is very good, they generate less road noise than the Michelins did, and I think they feel better. Some people have commented that the sidewall is ugly, but to me it looks like any other tire. In general a very good experience. If you are in the Bay Area, I would recommend Redwood General Tire in Redwood City. They got them in 1 day and they were priced below Tire Rack out the door with exceptional service and workmanship. By the way, NONE of the companies listed as dealers on the Kumho web site had them on their web (you could not price them nor was the Kumho logo featured).

Good Luck and thank you to jim314 for the posting.
  • cliffk4cliffk4 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same 2004 XC 90; sounds like a similar whirring noise. If it is the wheel bearings, how soon do I need to get it fixed; is it dangerous?

Also, what is the cost per wheelk?

Thanks,
    Cliff Karchmer please reply to email below as well

e mail: [email protected]
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    yes, if the bearing is making noise, you should get it fixed ASAP. Noise means friction, and friction means heat, and heat means an impending failure.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jfgxc90jfgxc90 Member Posts: 7
    This my 3rd Volvo, so I am not used to cheap tires, BUT the rear tires on my XC90 completely burnt up in a matter of 3,000 miles. No...I am not a road warrior. I commute 10 miles a day back and forth to work.

The volvo dealer says that it is an alignment problem, but I find that hard to believe since the excessive wear is only on my rear tires. Oddly enough, this wear did not start until after my last scheduled service which was 3,000 miles ago. At that time, the dealer replaced a brake booster and rear spring isolators.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what may have caused this sudden wear on my rear tires? The front tires have very little wear and I have the tires rotated every 3,000-4,000 miles.
    Hmmm... no strange noises or vibrations? I would look into the bearing issue stated above. They are a common failure on the XC90s.

The dealer isn't completely off... you CAN have rear wheels out of alignment independent of the front wheels. But I think it would be odd.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

When I picked up the vehicle from the last service, I noticed right away that the suspension seemed looser than it had been. They told me that it could be the air in the tires, but I checked the pressure, and it was ok.

I did have a noise which the dealer identified as a sway bar. I had that replaced yesterday.
    On most vehicles with independent rear suspension (like the XC90) the rear wheels can be out of alignment and the front ones in alignment.

Is this a FWD or AWD XC90? What was the wear pattern on the worn rear tires? That is, were they worn preferentially on the inside edges? the outside edges? all the way across? cupped?

Has the vehicle been towed recently? On this forum, I believe, there was a case of suspension components getting bent due to improper securing of the vehicle to a tow truck. In that case the towing company reportedly paid for the damages.
    The wear relatively even all the way across, although the outer edge is slightly worse. I have not ever had the car towed, but I am curious if something could have been damaged while they were doing one of the other repairs.

I just have difficulty with the thought that the car could have suddenly went out of alignment and chewed through the tires in a matter of 3,000 miles - especially when the majority of those miles were driving at speeds less than 50 miles/hr. All while there is no noticeable change in the steering of the vehicle (ie no significant pull in either direction).

I get that it is POSSIBLE...but is it LIKELY...
    See http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=4&.

Is this a FWD or AWD?

If FWD I have no idea other than misalignment of the rear wheels, e.g. excessive toe in of the rear wheels would scrub the rear wheels and maybe selectively wear the outside edges of the tread.

There are implausible ideas like the front brakes are not being applied strongly enough so that too much of the braking is with the rear brakes. But the diagnostics should detect that.

Take it to the dealer for an alignment or to an independent alignment shop.
    We might be getting somewhere...I had my front pads and rotors replaced on my last service as well. How do I find out if the brakes are applying correctly?
    The on board diagnostics should indicate if the front brakes were not working, and you would notice a huge increase in stopping distance. Maybe 80% of the braking forces are suppplied by the two front tires and brakes. And if all the braking were being done by the rear wheels, then the rear pads would show extreme wear.

The most likely explanation is that when the rear anti-sway bar ends or bushings were replaced the rear wheels were gotten out of alignment. How many miles were on the tires when the service was done? Could it be that the tires were nearly worn out at that point and then 3000 miles later they were definitely worn out?

Is this a FWD or an AWD XC90?
    Based on your response, I would not expect that the problem is the brakes. One thing I love about this vehicle, is that it will stop on a dime. I haven't noticed any change in that aspect.

The tires were new in October and November. I have them rotated every 3000/4000 miles and the front tires that were just rotated off the back show very little wear.

I believe the vehicle is all wheel drive - it is a T6. How do I know for sure?
    How do I know for sure?

It'll have an AWD badge on the tailgate.

it is a T6

Uh-oh.

Well, I believe AWD is standard on the T6. But so is a crappy transmission. :(