Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Blazer GMC Jimmy Transmission Problems

Comments

• nyenexnyenex Member Posts: 3
    Please let me know what the cause/cost of this repair was. I just experienced the same problem and I am about to park my 98 Blazer with 99k miles in the lake.
    Any input/reply is greatly appreciated.
    the previous message posted was in regard to louie1999's post about a Blazer which lost reverse without warning. The only additional note is that I can hear clunking in neutral too...
  • mrdimuziomrdimuzio Member Posts: 1
    pull the starter motor and sheet metal cover. Using a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt turn the motor to the next bolt. There will be 3 of them in there. Be sure to disconnect the battery before you do this as not to accidentally start the engine.
    You will need to unbolt the tranny from the engine to get the torque converter out. Hope this helps
  • pinkkitty72pinkkitty72 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 chevy blazer and it will not change into 3rd gear. It just started this issue yesterday. I did recently replace the battery. I drove it this morning and it changed into the gears fine. Does anyone have any idea what my problem might be?
    It is probably a shift selenoid within your transmission. We just had a similar problem with a 98 blazer. Make sure to hook it up to a code scanner to find out if that is in fact one of the errors.

The bad news is (in our case anyway) that not long after having that repair done, we started to lose reverse as well. So after years of dumping $$$ into that vehicle, we got rid of it 2 weeks ago. What a relief! :shades:
  • jbnurse43jbnurse43 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Chevy Blazer with 90,000 miles on it. I have been telling the mechanic I felt the Transmission was going on it for over a year. I took my car in again today and requested another checkup for the vehicle as it seems to be running rougher. the upshot is, they say the Transmission needs to be replaced and it will cost me.?? or purchase another vehicle.
  • duntovduntov Member Posts: 133
    A rebuilt transmission will cost about $1600 including labor. Can you get another car that is dependable for that much? I will never buy a new car again because they are too expensive and depreciate too fast. Three years after you buy a new car all you have is another used car but you still have new car payments.
  • bigd23bigd23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy,auto,4x4. I have changed the filter and fluids but nothing has changed. I can put it in reverse and drive and has no slippage but when it is in drive it will not change out of first. I can go 20 mph and let off the gas and it seems like it is in neutral. Does anyone know what it could be?
  • bellasmom522bellasmom522 Member Posts: 1
    The same thing is happening with my 98 blazer, has almost 90,000 miles. We took the truck to a shop and they rebuilt the transmission. It was shifting harder than before and when we took it back they replaced the computer. bare with me as I do not know that much about cars. It is still shifting hard when it is hot and we took it back for a third time. They rebuilt the transmission again (no charge) wich took four days instead of two days the first time we took it. The blazer is STILL shifting hard feels like the tranny is going to fall out! I called the shop and told them we are taking it to the dealer for a second opinion the guy at the shop got mad and told me there is nothing wrong with the transmission there has to be something else wrong with the truck. I am taking it to the dealer today, any idea what it could be?
  • blazergirl73blazergirl73 Member Posts: 1
    my truck would not go in reverse, it was ok in drive, but slipped at times. Tried to add tranny fluid, now it wont go anywhere in drive or reverse. Is the transmission blown or could there be another answer? If tranny most likely is blown, is it a very expensive fix? Just happened today. :sick: help!!
    It could be a linkage adjustment. Take it to a auto repair shop that DOES NOT rebuild transmissiions or sell and install rebuilt transmissions. That way you will get an unbiased diagnosis of he problem and if it is just an adjustment, that shop will propbably be able to do it.
  • jlt90jlt90 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 97 blazer as a gift. i knew it needed work but i have no idea how to fix this... Going down the road if you push the gas lightly you can get up to speed as long as your not on a hill, but as soon as you press the gas to much there is complet loss of power. it will keep running but it basicly boggs out. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem???? :confuse:
  • mustang67mustang67 Member Posts: 2
    i have the same problem did you find out what it was
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Couple of things to check. Air filter, fuel filter, would be the first place I would look. You said you got it as a gift. If it came from a family member, see if there are any maintenance records. These things will run with really bad spark plugs, so we won't go there first.

If it were mine, and there was no evidence it had been done, I would go with the two filters mentioned above. Neither are expensive, and both are easy to change. If you have never done an inline canister fuel filter, get help. It can be messy, and you will be dealing with gasoline, so be careful.
  • mustang67mustang67 Member Posts: 2
    my 99 blazer when in 2wd and at 65 mph a load noise starts then when put in 4hi it stops any ideas
  • 2004_jimmy_zr22004_jimmy_zr2 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 jimmy with a transmission problem, it seems like there's not enough power when accelerating and when it shifts it feels like its pulling back. When I turn on to a down hill street and let off the gas i can hear a clunk. it feels like the transmission gears are loose if that makes any sense?

I dont know very much about cars at all and i dont want to take it to a transmission shop and get ripped off so i need to know what is going on first

please help me if you know whats going on with it

thanks
  • lifbrngrlifbrngr Member Posts: 1
    For all you people having issues with your vacume line for your 4x4 check this out... turn it into a posilock. check out this AWESOME LINK
  • jmhan222jmhan222 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1996 chevy blazer with over 157,000 miles on it. i had to have it towed today. i think it is the transmission. it startd out not wanting to go into reverse then i could not even drive it because it would not go. just wondering what type of cost am i looking at and if it would be worth getting it fixed, any help i would appreciate it
    Well, with those kind of miles on it, anyone who opens it up will want to rebuild it. Keep in mind that there are several companies online that will ship you a rebuilt unit with a warranty for $1000 to $1200. Changing it out isn't that difficult, so if a local comes up with $3K be aware that there are cheaper alternatives.

S10Warehouse down in Florida has this used one for sale:

4L60E

I have dealt with them in the past with very good service.
  • jmccannjmccann Member Posts: 11
    I have a 93 Blazer that had a transmission problem about four years ago, I pulled the transmission myself and decided I couldn't put it back in myself and had a local shop tow it to their shop to do the repair. It cost a little over $3,000.00 and after about a year it went out again but they repaired it under warranty as they did the next 2 times it went out, the last time the engine rpm started running away when in cruise control and being on any slight rise that made ther transmission kick down, this time they took it to the trans shop and he turned up the pressure on it, it now shifts very solid and has picked up a couple of miles per gallon in fuel economy. If I knew what I know now I would have put the money into a newer vehicle, probably with a standard transmission and been much happier. Mine has 209,000 miles on it now, it had about 187,000 miles on it when the first Transmission went out. I don't drive it very much.
    I had a auto repair shop remove, rebuild and replace the transmission in my 1998 F-150 Ford pick up and it cost $1600 including a new torque converter and I thought that was a little high. I paid it anyway because the shop was recommended by a person who had a transmission replaced there. The cost of removing, rebuilding and replacing any model of passenger car or pick up transmission is about the same price. A price of $3,000 is far too high. You can do better than that at neary any repair shop. I have never heard of a rebuilt transmission costing more than $1800 including a new torque converter. The additional labor cost for removing and replacing a transmission is from $200 to $250.
  • rustysblazer87rustysblazer87 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1987 gmc jimmy full size that i was driving down the road and will not shift out of first gear.have checked the fluid, changed the filter and unhooked the battery to see if i could get the computer to reset.can anyone give me some advice on where to start to fix the problem.
  • rustysblazer87rustysblazer87 Member Posts: 2
    was wondering if you found out what was wrong with your jimmy,i have an 1987 jimmy doing the same thing.i read on here to disconnect the battery for about 10 to 15 minutes sometimes its in the computer.let me know if you found out what your problem was. thanks.
  • mkc716mkc716 Member Posts: 2
    As it was explained to me by a mechanic, there are stainless steel rollers in the transmission that roll up and down on a 'track'. The 'track' is made of aluminum, the rollers have carved out a groove and are now stuck in this. I had to trade mine in, he said I would have to replace the transmission. Which I didn't have the money for. This is also a common 'problem' with GMC and Chevy Blazers.
  • tcroft49509tcroft49509 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2000 BLAZER 4X4 2 DOOR ZR2. I JUST REPLACED THE TRANSMISSION. IT WORKED GOOD FOR ABOUT AN HOUR. WAS DRIVING IT DOWN THE ROAD PUSHED ON THE GAS TO PASS SOMEONE AND IT JUST STOPPED. THE TRANSMISSION WONT GO INTO GEAR NOW. POSSIBLE PROBLEMS?
    2 hours ago - 4 days left to answer.
    Additional Details
    ITS THE AUTOMATIC 4L60E
    2 hours ago

WHEN I SHIFT IT THE LEVER MOVES INTO ALL THE GEARS BUT WHEN ITS IN GEAR IT DOESNT GO ANYWHERE.
    2 hours ago

AFTER I INSTALLED THE TRANSMISSION, I DROVE IT FOR ABOUT 20 MILES, IT SHIFTED REALLY GOOD, SMOOTH. AND THEN I STOPPED, AND DROVE ABOUT A BLOCK WENT TO PASS SOMEONE, AND THE TRANSMISSION JUST STOPPED. I PARKED, TRIED ALL THE GEARS BUT NOTHING. I LOOKED UNDERNEATH, I SEE THE FLYWHEEL AND TORGUE CONVERTER TURNING CHECKED FLUID LEVEL, SHIFTS INTO ALL THE GEARS BUT NOTHING HAPPENS.
    1 hour ago

WENT OUT DISCONNECTED BATTERY FOR TEN MINUTES STIL DOES SAME THING, ALSO CHECKED TO SEE IF FLUID IS GOING THROUGH THE TOP LINE INTO THE RADIATOR, NO FLUID BEING PUMPED... ANY IDEAS???? PLEASE HELP
  • lynn72lynn72 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Blazer the started shifting weird about 2 weeks ago and had a weird vibration starting off and slowing down and finally wouldn't move past 2nd gear. I have up to aprox. 25MPH and then it just slips can keep it barely moving if you run at a high rpm. If I stop and start again I can get up to 25 mph and then it goes again. After this started transmission fluid was really low but there is no leak anywhere on the ground. Reverse is fine. Prior to this happening (for a few months before) we heard a hissing noise but we find no leaks of vacuum or fluid. Any help is really appreciated. Thank you

TCC was replaced still no luck.

It is the 4L60E transmission.
  • bbarnerbbarner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Blazer and it was parked for about 8 months when I parked it everything was fine. Now when I drive it, the transmission shifts through all of the gears and when it gets to overdrive it shifts in and out constantly and the tachometer jumps all over the place from 1400-2100 RPM at 50-55 mph. I checked the tranny fluid it is full I don't know if this tranny, 4L60E has an electrical lockup converter or what, or am I looking at replacing the tranny. the Blazer has 163,000 and runs great. any help or ideas would really be appreciated, thanks.
  • chevyman27chevyman27 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1997 s-10 blazer one night after work i got in it and it wouldnt start i got it to start but now i have no radio and my air bag light is on ,my speedo dont work and its hard shifting out of first gear itll shift if u stick it to the floor. i found a blow fuse that fixed the airbag light but still have no speedo or radio or any go power
  • sherriusherriu Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 blazer for four year and have had no major problems til now.It started when it would rain it would idle high and not shift.Ive put new cap rotor wires and plugs.She ran fine but today I got in and she runs great but now when you come to a stop and take off she doesnt want to move.After she gets moving she runs fine but doesnt do it all the time just once in awhile.Is that the tranny going out or what could it be.Thanks for any input.Dont know what to do next.
  • rickyomerrickyomer Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 1997 S-10 blazer, 4.3 v/6. I have had it a couple of months, the mileage is just over 163,000. The tranny has been shifting fine but this morning the check engine light came on and the tranny did not want to down shift back into first gear. I could manually shift fine. I talked to the guy I got it from and he said it had done the same thing. He changed the fluid and filter less than 1500 miles ago. It then sat for about 6 months and the battery was dead when I bought it from him. I read the other forums and disconnected the battery and let set for about 30 minutes. The check engine light is gone and it shifts great. I would like to know what I can do to prevent this happening again. Thanks, Ricky
  • joe_h1joe_h1 Member Posts: 2
    My 1996 Chevy Blazer's check engine light came on and read for the shift solenoids. So i dropped the pan and replaced all of the solenoids along with the Manifold Pressure Switch, Internal Wire Harness, all Check balls, and put a new transmission filter kit and now it will not shift into any gear at all. If anyone has any idea on what i could of hooked up wrong can you let me know. And i am pretty sure i hooked up the shift linkage right and never touched the clutch
  • pocitypocity Member Posts: 7
    If you changed the torque converter lock-up solenoid too then you possible installed it 180deg out or you put one of the check balls in the wrong place.
  • joe_h1joe_h1 Member Posts: 2
    OK thanks i will have to try the torque converter lock up solenoid i am sure all the check balls are in the right place have a map of the vavle body that shows where they go
  • kinnaird83kinnaird83 Member Posts: 1
    I dont know if you received an answer yet but i had this same problem with my blazer... mine was parked for about 3 months because the motor blew up. Anyways there is a SPS shift position sensor on the transmission that goes bad and cause it to do this. Mine did the same exact thing yours is doing.
  • 2manytoyz2manytoyz Member Posts: 7
    Engine, Transmission, Transfer Case, and PCM from a Totaled (rolled a few times) 1997 (red) Blazer, have been swapped over to another 1997 (brown) Blazer. The Transmission had a remanufactured sticker on it, so I suspect it was lower mileage and in good condition. It certainly had clean fluid in it, when pulled. The truck was driving on the highway when rolled.

The engine would not start on the Brown Blazer and was found having low compression on a couple cylinders, which is why the swap was performed. After several headaches and setbacks, I was able to get the engine started yesterday. However, the truck will not move in forward, or reverse. Another (minor) setback; the shifter will not shift out of Park, without depressing the bypass switch physically located on the shifter assembly (thanks to whomever identified that in a previous post).

So, I can; start the engine, run up to 4000, or so, rpms, bypass the shift lock and enter all gears. The truck goes no where, the engine doesn’t seem affected by any gear shifting. I can tach 3500 rpm and shift thru all gears with absolutely no movement of the truck, or hesistation of engine rpms. It feels like the engine isn’t even connected to the tranny. I suspect the tranny, torque converter, wiring harness to the -transmission, or –PCM, Vacuum Issue, or perhaps something else to be the culprit. Anyone know what causes this tranny to engage in gear?

Yes, there is plenty of tranny fluid and it looks good. Yes my brake lights illuminate when depressing the brake pedal, I hear a relay under the dash or console, when I step on the brake and try to get out of park, but the button won’t fully depress. I don’t think this and the lack of tranny movement are related, but not sure if there’s some switch in there that could cause this to happen. No relevent PCM codes. (I think one was for an O2 sensor, the other was engine related, but I'll have to double check).

It's to my understanding, to get a transmission trouble code, it must complete a bunch of requirements, such as send 12v, and ground, and so forth. If not all these requirements are met, then no trouble code will be issued. If I have a broken wire, I suspect all the requirements might not be met, and the truck will not throw a code. I'm not sure though. I've had very little luck accessing any diagrams. (free, via link, or whatever). I have a Chilton, but that's sorta helpless at this stage.

A previous set-back, was a pinched wire harness going down to the transmission. I reconnected all those wires with butt connectors and that fixed one of my problems (couldn’t crank engine; neutral safety switch wire was pinched). Tranny also, has a new neutral safety switch.

Also have a mystery wire off the PCM that’s been cut (brown blazer), with speaker wire spliced into it. Not sure what it was, were it went, or anything else about it, but it’s been disconnected. I’ve reconnected it, but still that helps nothing. The truck was like that when I purchased it, so I don't know if this could be a preexisting problem.

Does anyone have a diagram available, of the PCM wiring? Transmission Wiring? Can a wiring issue prevent my transmission from locking up (if that’s the technical term)? Does anyone know what wires coming off the PCM go to the tranny?

Suggestions anyone? Thanks
  • starterguystarterguy Member Posts: 2
    HI I have the same problem can you tell what fixet your blazer.

Thank You
  • starterguystarterguy Member Posts: 2
    HI Can you tell me what was wrong what your blazer my blazer is doing the same thing.

Thank You
    I just posted that today. I'm not in a hurry, but I'll get it fixed sooner or later. If you get yours figured out, holler back. let me know.
    :o)
    Still haven't fixed it yet, but I got some additional info. Not sure, but I hope I'm on the right track.

I suspect my shifter, or at least a switch on the shifter has gone bad. I suspect it is, or is part of, the BTSI switch (brake transmission shift interlock). I believe, but am not certain, that a signal from this switch, goes to the PCM, which then sends a signal to a solenoid in the transmission. This solenoid operates an exhaust valve, which is normally open. While open, tranny fluid pressure is bled off, maybe back to the tranny pan, and prevents the transmission from engaging in any gears, other than park.

I believe this was an electronic safety feature installed because some mid 90's dodge vans were launching forward, or backwards, while in park. So, if my shifter switch is bad, and not registering anything other than park, the transmission will not engage in any gear other than park.

I brought home another parts truck two days ago. When I get some free time (maybe next year), I'll try swapping out the shifters and go from there.

In the meantime, if anyone has any useful knowledge to share, ideas, or what not, feel free to contribute to this conversation.

If anyone needs any parts, I just parted out one blazer, have a bunch of parts lying around still, and have another one to piece out. Anyways, I'll keep this thread updated as work progresses along.

• boilermaker78boilermaker78 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what was causing this? My blazer is doing the same thing. thanks..
    Not yet. I suspect it's the BTSI Switch on the shifter, but haven't had a chance yet. I probably won't have a chance to tinker on it for another couple weeks, but I'll repost my progress. Holler back if you get yours figured out in the meantime. Good luck and happy holidays.
  • chevy119chevy119 Member Posts: 2
    ok so i just joined to see if someone can help.

i have a 99 jimmy 4x4 with a 4L60E transmission that is acting up in park no problem.
    when i put in reverse it engages but it jerks the rpms just bounce i go to neutral it stops. i put it in drive a it starts back up and if i put in D1 or "LOW" it dose it worse and kills the motor. please if you can help email me at chevy119@hotmail.com thanks chris

:cry:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    email me at

Let's keep the discussion here so everyone will benefit. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • chevy119chevy119 Member Posts: 2
    ok thats fine
    Okay, I've swapped out the shifter, BTSI Solenoid, and the Brake Pedal Switch. None of that fixed my problem and the shifter button would still not depress. I crawled under the truck and fondled the plug that goes into the Neutral Safety Switch and was momentarily able to depress the button. Another attempt wouldn't depress. It was off and on. Everytime I jiggled and tried to repush in the Neutral Safety Switch Plug, I would momentarily get it to work.

However, even while the button would depress and I could shift the shifter out of park; my truck would still not go forward or reverse at any rpm.

I've not yet ruled out this being an electrical issue, since I still believe the PCM needs a valid signal from the Neutral Safety Switch to provide an output to the TCC solenoid, which is keeping a tranny fluid exhaust valve open, preventing and fluid from building up which would allow my tranny to engage in any gear other than park. I'm not certain, but that's what I'm pursuing now.

I've got a great parts truck. A 1997 GMC Jimmy with only 82k original miles. It was wrecked on the driver side (between the doors, damaged the pillar) in 2004-2005. It was parked in a garage and never put on Non-op. So, with 5 years of back registration fees and penalties, the DMV officially killed that truck, which is why I'm parting it out.

A few days ago, I removed the harness from this parts truck and sometime next week I intend to install it in my 97 blazer; if it still won't engage in forward or reverse, I'll have to swap the tranny out.

In the meantime, I got a great parts truck if anyone needs anything. It's black, leather, billet grill, etc. ran great until I pulled the harness a few days ago. It'll be on Craigslist in the SF Bay Area in the meantime. I can also list parts on eBay and/or accept pay pal if you need something mailed out.

Best of luck everyone.
    Well, it sounds like the TTC is locked. Acts sort of like a clutch in a manual tranny. That, or the torque converter itself has failed and is in a locked condition.
  • fixingitallfixingitall Member Posts: 1
    :mad: i got this blazer about 4 months ago and it had no reverse and hesitated between 2nd and 3rd gear i just got a good transmission out of a 98 blazer($1100 from a neighbor's brother that rolled hiswas working fine for him) and put it in the only thing i had to reuse it the nuteral safety switch and i replaced it with a new one and i still have the same problem... any help will be apprshate
  • nicksarnicksar Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    when i push the 4x4 button on my 98 4.3l 4x4 blazer, i hear a clicking noise under the dash on the passenger side. the button lights up (no light on the instrument cluster (is there one?)) but front wheels will not turn (tested it on the recent snow) clicks sound like bad axle bearings. Any thoughts?
    Thank you.
  • jmccannjmccann Member Posts: 11
    When the 4WD button is pushed it activates a vacuum actuator located in front of the Battery box that engages the front differential, I suspect it has partially failed and is trying to engage the front end and causing the noise you refered to. Changing it out should cure your problem and give you four wheel drive again.
  • skstn34skstn34 Member Posts: 3
    I appreciate this forum for being here!

I have a 1997 Chevy Blazer, recently purchased with 175,000 miles. Very nice, clean, practically perfect for its age and mileage. Here's what's developed as of late and hope that someone can tell me what might be the problem.

This truck runs perfectly, until I am on the intestate, and hit a decent incline, going 70, and sometimes midway, the truck will kick into that higher gear (overdrive maybe?) and of course the RPM's go up slightly.. This issue has just started. The "Check Engine Soon" light comes on, blinks, and it's not like the RPM's jumped a great deal either. It sometimes will kick back down to normal once I've cleared the hill, "Check Engine Soon" light stays on, is still on.

Also, alot of the times, the RPM's will not kick back down at all, as if it is stuck in that higher gear. Eventually the transmission will have a short jerk from 1st to 2nd, taking off from a stop light.

This seems to happen only when I'm going at a higher rate of speed on the interstate, rather than a 2 lane highway going 55 to 60 mph.

It seems to 'reset' overnight, and as long as I don't go that one interstate route, everything's cool, no problems in town whatsoever.

Anyone know what could be the problems?

Thanks!

Skstn34