Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Blazer GMC Jimmy Transmission Problems

1234568»

Comments

• billy19702billy19702 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '95 Blazer 4.3 Vortec, and everything seemed to be fine until recently the transmission started to slip. It seems when you gas harder on it it does not slip. There is also an approximate 2 or 3 second delay when shifting into drive...anyone have any suggestions?
  • jmccannjmccann Member Posts: 11
    I think changing the filter might take care of the problem for awhile.
  • rcbusinessrcbusiness Member Posts: 1
    try filling the truck with 93/94 octane for 1 or two tanks. i had the exact same problem whenever the truck tried to auto shift down. while USING CRUISE CONTROL, , as i started up the highway incline at 70 mph and the speed started slowing down, when the truck rpms at 2k didnt match up with the over drive speed it tried to shift out of overdrive, the truck started sputtering like it was running on 4 cylinders, or loss of compression the service engine light comes on, etc etc.
    next week i only used 93 octane, and octane boost (once) to clean out the engine. It worked,
    same highway, the truck slowed to 65 on the same hill while in cruise control. It made the hill at 65 without any problems.
    if the truck is not in OD it doesnt seem to happen. ANy way. its a defect with the truck, but its a cheap fix.
  • dne_thompsondne_thompson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer 4dr LS 4X4. I am the 2nd owner and knew the 1st owners, an elderly couple that lived next door. I bought it in 2006 with 33,000 miles on it and have owned it for the last 7 years. Last year, my transmission went out with no warning, just slipped a couple of times, and poof, I suddenly lost my D & 3 gears, but still had R, 2, &1. I was in a rural area when it went, so by the time I got anywhere near civilization, you could definitley smell it burning. At the time, it had 117,000 miles, so I thought that it had earned the right to go. However, was a little disappointed that it didnt last longer, considering I've had the local GM dealership doing all maintenance on it as did the last owners! Since it had that many miles and due to age and limited budget, I purchased a salvaged transmission with a 1 year warrenty. All went well for 13 months, then again, in the middle of no-where, the vehicle starts doing its familiar "missing" which was actually the tranny slipping. Again, sure enough, this transmission as well as the first, both burnt up with little to no warning at 130,000 miles. I again, due to budget, mileage, and age went with another salvage tranny, and it immediately slipped and burnt up at 135,000. Keep in mind, I do no towing with vehicle, it is driven around my little city and I am single, so there is no hauling of anything but me. I am now on tranny #4 and would like to try and figure out why these trannys keep burning up. A friend of mine told me that the radiator on some vehicles help aid in cooling the transmissions. I dont know if its true, but it kindof makes sense to me, because mine always has smelled like "hot" antifreeze everytime a tranny has went. I also have always checked fluids in the vehilce regularly. They are always full and the color they should be, no leaks have been noticed or found, as it it always parked on pavement. Any words of advice????
  • realmccoy70realmccoy70 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 chevy blazer that is 4x4 automatic! the transmission will not shift automatically but if you shift it mamually it does fine! it only pulls on its on in low and second! if you try to take off in 3rd or overdrive its like its in neautral! have to take off in low or second and manually shift thru the gears! changed the solonoids and fluid and filter and didnt change anything! NEED HELP PLEASE! REX [email protected] :(:(:(:(
  • 00chevyblazer00chevyblazer Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 00 Blazer. drove home ok just shifted hard from 1st to 2nd. Next day shifted fine then it wouldnt go into 3rd then nothing. on startup i can get it to 1st and 2nd for few mins then it wont go into any gear but park. i can shut off and restart and it will start process over. what can cause this?
    This is just an educated guess but it might be your filter getting plugged up from debris from clutch wear in the oil pan, try changing the filter, you might get more life out of the transmission that way. Is it too late to get out of the purchase or have them repair it? If there is debris in the pan most transmission shops will try to sell you a rebuild and it probably needs it but just changing the filter might give you a working trans for many years. a fresh rebuild could improve your gas mileage depending on how bad it is slipping.
    I'm up for the challenge! lol time to go buy a filter.
    ok changed the filter and now when in drive it stays in 1st so i have to manually change to 2nd. when i try for 3rd it acts like in neutral still. what's next to try????
    edited February 2013
    Well, the filter was my only suggestion, I looked at some forums after replying to your message and there was talk of solenoids there, was there much sediment in your oil pan?
  • lkempflkempf Member Posts: 1
    Check the transfercase to see if it engaging run it through neutral 4hi and 4 lo and back into 2hi
  • bmx_guy125bmx_guy125 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    i have an 02 chevy blazer xtreme that seems to rev up to 3000 before it shifts like if its in nutral anyone got advise
  • abritton1abritton1 Member Posts: 1
    When you are replacing the transmissions are you also keeping the original transmission control module or using the one on the used trannys? I ask cause I have had this issue on many older vehicles not just a chevy blazer and an transmission shop told me that my control module was bad and they will keep burning up trannys till you replace them. I did that and footed the bill for a new tranny with a 3yr 36000 mile warranty on my blazer and other vehicles and no problems since then for over two yrs on my blazer
  • gclabaughgclabaugh Member Posts: 1
    as I am driving, keeping the pedal held down slightly, it runs and shifts fine. If i press the pedal down about 1/3 of the way, the rpms drop and coasts. if i push the pedal to about 2/3 of the way, the rpms pick back up and moves forward, but with less power than normal and i have to let off the pedal for it to shift.. Also when i stay at a constant speed, the transmission slips. If i press the pedal down any farther, the rpms go up but there is no acceleration.
  • timdiligencetimdiligence Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the process of buying an 01 blazer. I found spilled transmission oil in the interior in the back of the truck. The dealer said it was for another vehicle. Then I see all the comments on this forum. Hmmm.. im going to call my bank now.. Abort! Abort!
  • kevinking1kevinking1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 97 jimmy with the 4.3 v6 and auto trans!! I'm having tranny issues I only have 2nd and 3rd gear!! I've already replaced the selonoid and the throttle positioning sensor!! What else could be my problem???
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,737
    What codes are setting KevinK? Has a tech driven this with a scan tool to monitor the inputs and outputs from the PCM?