Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Blazer GMC Jimmy Transmission Problems

Comments

• timprobtimprob Member Posts: 1
    My 97 Jimmy , automatic 4x4, won't shift until it winds out past 3000 rpm's. This just started. It drives fine if I use 1st, second, third then Od manually shifting. It won't shift on its own. I don't want to take it to a transmission shop, because here in Michigan, they are notorious for ripping people off. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Tim.
  • my97jimmymy97jimmy Member Posts: 15
    Tim, I know nothing about transmissions, however I had a very similar problem with mine. I was told to disconnect the positive battery cable and wait 10 minutes for the computer to reset then reconnect it, start it up, and take it for a drive. I've put 500 miles on it without a hickup. I was told that the computer has to re-learn how to shift. Also, check the trans fuse on the fuse panel on the side of the dashboard by the drivers door. It's a red 10amp fuse. Good luck! Keith
  • repairdogrepairdog Member Posts: 948
    Sometimes that helps but when was the trans filter and fluid last changed - at least every 50k miles is the norm. Hope that clears it up or possible shift solenoid sticking (one for each gear). Fuid level to full. Also possible TPS on the throttle body has a dead spot (resistance changes as throttle opens/closes) so PCM does not know where the throttle is and then trans shifts at internal default point.
  • mkobmkob Member Posts: 10
    I have a 99 Jimmy 4x4 with 125k miles and just the past few days I have heard a low ticking noise when I put my Jimmy in reverse or drive. This is a different noise than what I am use to hearing and don't know what the cause can be. I have had my transmission serviced within the past year and still under 50k miles. Could anyone please tell me if this is a bad noise?
    Depends where the noise is from - have to narrow it down alittle. Is it trans, lifters (oil/filter clean and no water loose - if res drops possible lower intake gasket leak starts with a lifter tap), idle or tensioner pulley, alternator bearing going, PCV, etc.
  • mkobmkob Member Posts: 10
    I have replaced the idle and tensioner pulley, alternator, changed the oil within 100 miles, the intake gasket is new, the fan is new, the spark plugs have been changed out, the PCV has been replaced - I think that is it. I was parked on a slight hill and it only made the sound when I put it into reverse and drive. I opened the door and it was coming from the engine portion of the vehicle, not under the vehicle. Without having someone standing there with me that is the best I can do at the moment.
    Was the AC on when you heard it?
    How about the water pump - have a helper put it in reverse and you listen - see where its from - watch the hands when its running.
  • ramdodge1ramdodge1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy, it shifts fine and even into overdrive... but after a few moments after, it comes out of overdrive and back in. It will do it more frequently when tranny is cold. I have been told that it may just need adjusting and I have been told it cant be adjusted. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
    There is a solenoid for each shift and convertor lockup accessed thru the pan, but the first thing is the fluid full and has the filter been changed - could just be crap in the system. Then there is a throttle posion sensor on the side of the throttle body that tells the trans throttle position and shift point based on that can go bad (dead spots its just a cheap resistor pot).
  • ramdodge1ramdodge1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply repairdog, I will get the filter changed and then go from there. Talk with ya soon.....Thanks again!
  • dbarishdbarish Member Posts: 1
    CHANGED FLUID AND FILTER IN TRANS 99 GMC 4.3 V6 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON. PARTS STORE GUY SAYS TRANSMISSION CELLINOID. WHAT IS IT HOW HARD TO REPAIR. ANY ONE KNOW
    HELP OUT A SENIOR CITIZEN TRY NOT TO GET ROOKED :cry:
    What was the code? What was it doing? All the solenoids are accessible thru the pan but could be other parts. Most trans shops will analyze for free and give an estimate. After a high mileage trans filter change I use the newer Valoline high mileage trans fluid which changes about half of it as rest in the convertor and have to drive about 100 miles to strip any residue buildup off the internals.
  • shantel1shantel1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Jimmy and after traveling for at least 20 minutes, it will start to jump really hard into first gear when pulling off from a stop sign or red light. If I cut the truck off it will stop and then start again after I have driven for 20 minutes again. The engine light also comes on and then goes off. Does anyone have any suggestions on what they think this may be?
    So, if its the trans hard shifting get the filter and fluid changed and that helps most. Crap gets deposited in the valve body and solenoid valves and trans senses and raises pressure to compensate so hard shift.
  • ctrudellctrudell Member Posts: 1
    I recently noticed my 93 Jimmy is leaking transmission fluid from a line under the hood. This line is located in the back of the engine compartment on the passenger side. The line seems to be some kind of vent line or something of that nature. It is coiled black plastic with a movable cap which runs to the transmission.

What is this line and why would it leak transmission fluid?
    The trans and the transfer csae are bolted together and a seal between. Is the vent on the transmission or transfer case? Check fluids in each. Both Dexron red. THe 4wd has a 3 port vac switch on the pass side so look at the lines and see if all connected. The transfer case vent is Teed into the front axle vac line vent port. The transmission also Tees into it and the vent usually runs up the dipstick so no water gets in. Finally that seal can go between cases and the transmission pump can blow fluid into the transfer case and out the vent.
  • 20blazer0020blazer00 Member Posts: 28
    I just bought a 2000 blazer LS 4x4 4.3l.
    Ive noticed that while driving,that it blows hard on take off( blowing hard= you can hear the air blowing hard from motor),will shift into 2nd and quiten down at around 2000.
    it does fine through rest of gears. But if youre on the interstate, it shifts in and out of overdrive. No other strange things noticed. Just in and out. and this gets worse if running the a/c with cruise.
    Hope someone can help me here, or tell me this is normal and its in my head.(LOL) :)
    They all have the heavy duty type fan clutch and when hot out it starts up in a locked or full on mode but should stop after less than 1 minute. Yours could be bad if it stays on for extended time unless your engine is getting hot (temp gage should be below 210 normally).

As for the trans is it shifting in/out of 4th gear or overdrive or is the converter locking/unlocking. To see go like 50 mph and put it in 3rd gear and the rpms will jump up as it downshifts. Then back to D or 4th and the rpms will decrease and then a few seconds later drop again as the torque converter locks up - then you know the diff.
    Trans filter should be changed at least every 50k miles and requires dropping pan but under $100.
    the fan or the heavy blowing sound does go away. But, it starts every time from take off.
    as for the tranny,it shifts fine most of the time. But,it does come in and out of OD when on interstate, while in cruise, and gets worse with AC on.
  • thesweetrosslgthesweetrosslg Member Posts: 28
    Ok i just started to have some tranny trouble today
    i checked the fluid its only got 18k on the fluid i had it flushed at 115k 116k i think it was around there
    the fluid is not burnt
    here is the trouble i am having
    all of a suden i noticed it on the way home erlier i dont have alot of power on the get go
    when i first put my foot on the gas i real just hear it reve then it slowly starts to move ones i get moving for a second then i get power but no hevy foot to gas power just semi power
    it runs good its not giving me major ger problems i think the only reason im not getting this is becouse
    when in OD it only wants to be in one gear it dosnt shift then if i manuly shift it it dosnt shift into any gears other then 2nd so i guess D and 2nd is the only 2 gears it works in
    am i in for a [non-permissible content removed] load of trouble and money ?
    or could it be simple like a sensor perhaps
    thank you
    If you have no reverse, 2nd, or 4th then you broke the sun shell in the trans - the weakest part and caused by heavy towing or jerking when stuck or pulling someone or something. The TCI site shows you this part and its a total rebuild - if you lost all 3 of these gears.
    sorry i forget i still have revers
    i just took it to a tranny shop today they looked at it and the guy im not shur if he knowns exactly what hes talking about but sayd somthing about a sylonoid
    i never knew that there was a sylnoid in the tranny i know they are there for the engine but he sayd in the tranny and its gona cost 200 to fix it im taking it in tomarow im just hoping there isnt gona be more trouble about that after they fix it
    In the pan each gear shift has a solenoid and also the converter lockup. Thats good as a rebuild is $1500.
    so dose that mean that they will have to drop the pan and drain the tranny fluid and put new fluid in also ? is that why its costing 200 i didnt think that a part could cost that mouch for a sylanoid maybe they are chargin me for a fluid change also forgot to ask them that ? should i ask them whyll they have the pan out to change the filter also ?
    Yes, pan drop requires like 5 qts fluid and they should be replacing the filter also as it comes in a kit with the pan gasket for like $20. Trans holds like 10 qts and rest is in the converter and unless nasty and burnt not needed to be changed in a total trans flush - some reports say these hurt as much as help and cost another $100 after the filter.

$200 for repairs sounds good as norm for just the filter is $75-100.
    cool i just drove it up and droped it off thismornign becouse i had to get a ride home
    its like 275 total that includes the 75 they charged to diagnoisis sayd he was giving me a little bit of a discount on that becouse i have a van there right now that is getting a total rebuil for like 1400 and he did my lincoln a few years ago did the tranny in my continental for like 1450 2 years ago and i was told that was a real good price i think he sayd if i need a full rebuil it would be like 1400 i dont have to pay taxes becouse my nabor ownes a car lot and i use his tax license so that saves a few hundred right there
  • lndiana0utlawlndiana0utlaw Member Posts: 1
    you could do this at home yourself for about half that 200
    your right i could do this at home myself if i where not disabled i can not get under the car i had back problems and have begining stages of MS and i dont have any tools and id rather right now also pay a shop to do it that way if they mess somthing up there insurance will cover it i dont have 1500 for a tranny rebuild if i messed somthing up
    ok I have figured out my prob. Its the trans selector, thats messed up. The 3 button selector for 2Hi- 4hi-4 low.
    I just happened to see it on the way home mon night. The thing shifts in and out of 2hi by its self. I dont know if it goes into 4 wd or not. But, the light will go out, and thats when the trans acts up. It drives fine when it stays in 2wd.
    That would bog things down. Maybe the switch or a bad sensor, 3 port actuator, encoder motor on transfer, or the TCCM (4wd PC) that receives diff voltage signals from the switch to shift.
    Ok I took it to the dealer today, and they decided to be nice and fix it on them. After waiting for 5 hours, the manager told me, that It was a mess I had. Turns out, that they found out, atfer they relaced the switch, that actually I have a bad electrical problem in the differential.That they would be keeping it over night, and Ill get it back tomorrow.
    As we were talking I just asked, what if they just unplug the 4wd option and just let it be a 2wd. He being honest, said that that was a last ditch option, but it was an option.I mean I wouldnt ever us the 4wd anyway. Because I dont live anywhere I would have the chance to use it, and by
    the way it has street tires on it anyway.
    Think you meant in the transfer case or possibly the front diff. There is an encoder motor in the transfer that shifts the case and these can rust or fail. Then vac swirches and on the front diff an actuator pulls a cable that couples and uncouples the pass side axle. All controlled by the TCCM or 4wd computer in the cab pass side kick panel.

If its in 2Hi then you could pull the 2 fuses for the 4wd and that should keep you in 2wd forever.
    Well, the dealership has had the blazer for 4 days now.
    I called them yesterday, to check on it, because the manager told me that it should be ready then. Its not!!!
    Then he dejectivly told me quote" We have no idea, whats causeing this problem, and probally wont know". That doesnt sound good at all. So, what to do? Would it hurt it to "unplg" the 4wd on it and let it stay in 2wd? As I need this truck, for daily trans. If that wont hurt it, then, I guess thats my only option. Untill I can take it some where else to give another shop a shot. Anyone have any ideas?
    You have a 2000 LS model so assume 3 buttons on teh dash and NO auto function button - if so this is the np233 case part time so that dealer is not very good- this is the easy case. If a 4 button autotrac case np236 its more involved.

I can't recall if you ever stated the actual problem that started all this. Its either the TCCM (4wd computer - pull the battery cable for 30 min and reboot it)and these also have had moisture in the connector and they do fail, the encoder motor on the transfer case that steps in to engage the front diveshaft and also 4lo if selected, the 3 port vac switch, a bad vac line, the sensor on the transfer case, the sensor on the fornt coupler, the front coupler, the front actuator, or the switch. Also 2 fuses to check.
    Ok I got it back!!!!
    The dealer said two things had shortend out, one being the encoder, and another thing(cant remember what it was). But that they couldnt figure out what or where made them short out,so, I got them to pull the fuses for the 4x4 part so it will only run in 2wd.( just hope that by pulling the fuses, that it doesnt screw up the truck).
    Thank you for your help with this.
  • bmorabmora Member Posts: 1
    Note: New Fluid/Filter changed about 2 weeks ago. Computer has been reset since then. 4X4

Went for a drive yesterday. Got on the interstate. Very soon after reaching the cruising speed of 60-65. A very unhealthy sounding and loud noise began coming from in or around the transmission. The sound is a little hard to describe but I'll give it a shot. It was kind of a grinding metal gear noise. Kind of what I would think it would sound like if you put a vehicle into park at 60 mph. This "Noise" did not effect the speed of the vehicle or make it bog down. When it started I just took my foot off of the gas and coasted over to the emergency lane while lightly applying the brakes. Once I got down to about 10 miles an hour the sound stopped completely. I got out and saw some tranny fluid coming out from near the Torque converter Dust Cover. It dripped for maybe 30 seconds then stopped (vehicle still running). Got back in and drove 2 exits to see if It would do it again and it did. So getting off at this exit once I came almost to a stop the sound stopped. Continued to head toward my house and was going about 50-55 up a medium incline and the sound started again. So I again stopped and the Fluid did the same thing. Leaked for under a minute then stopped. I made it home the rest of the 8 miles with no problem. Only other time I noticed Fluid leaking was. Once I drove a little to far down the driveway and went over the edge of it so i put it in reverse and had to give it a lot of gas to come back up over the edge. Keep in mind that this edge is only about maybe 1 inch high and its a slight downgrade. Once I got out I noticed Fluid leaking.

I am fairly experienced with the 4L60-E. My S-10 has the same tranny in which I rebuilt myself about 7 months/15,000 ago. Reverse went out then shortly after it would not shift on its own.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I am not a trans expert but possible front pump seal leak - is the trans overheating (radiator good and side cooling section). Vent os on top so maybe coming out there.
  • gmcrichgmcrich Member Posts: 6
    I have a Jimmy W/140K miles and it started acting like it was slipping/jerking ONLY when I was in reverse and heavy on the throttle. I changed the filter and made things worse. Now it only seems to have 2nd gear (40mph)and still jerks when I am in reverse. Prior to changing the filter I didn't have any issues with forward gears. I had a hard time squeezing the pan in and out of the exhaust. Could I have damaged or unhooked something by rubbing the pan across it? If I can regain my forward gears I could get by for awhile. Any ideas on what could cause these problems? Any help?
    I have a Jimmy W/140K miles and it started acting like it was slipping/jerking ONLY when I was in reverse and heavy on the throttle. I changed the filter and made things worse. Now it only seems to have 2nd gear (40mph)and still jerks when I am in reverse. Prior to changing the filter I didn't have any issues with forward gears. I had a hard time squeezing the pan in and out of the exhaust. Could I have damaged or unhooked something by rubbing the pan across it? If I can regain my forward gears I could get by for awhile. Any ideas on what could cause these problems? Any help?
    You probably hit the wiing running thru beneath the valve body and may have nicked it or disconnected a solenoid.
    Is there a way of checking this through the computer codes? Does Autozone or Advanced Auto have a diagnostic machine for transmissions? How many solenoids are there and what do they look like? I just need to regain all of my forward gears and hope reverse lasts for awhile.
    Thanks,
    Auto stores don't scan transmissions. Each gear shift has a solenoid. Most trans shops will hook up their scanner and give an estimate for free or low cost to get the business.
  • r8r_n8shnr8r_n8shn Member Posts: 1
    Hi all...I am a complete idiot when it comes to cars so PLEASE be easy on me. Anyway...my wife has a 2000 blazer. The tranny is shifting hard from 1st to second. It only does it when it is hot outside. My first thought was that the tranny is overheating. Is this possible and how would I go about fixing it. We had it in the dealership last year and the put in a new part that I can't remember what it was...like I said...I am a car idiot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also she just told me that the light on her push button 4x4 switch also goes out and seems to do so at about the same time the tranny acts up. :mad:
    The part may have been the TCC in the trans as it effects the hard shift. Usually a new filter helps as any crap in the trans gets in the valve body and the computer adjusts the pressure to compensate. But if the 4wd is acting up the PCM/omputer adjusts shifts and pressures in 4wd so that would be a reason - see if the dash switch is fully connected or plugged in, and as you said you are not a car person so take it to the dealer to determine which other of the many sensors etc for 4wd is bad.
  • shantel1shantel1 Member Posts: 3
    Can someone tell me what code P1870 is for a 99 Jimmy? :confuse:
  • lauchonlauchon Member Posts: 1
    :sick:

Hi, my blazer almost got burned twice, first time in summer in a long trip, oil came out of the transfer case, leak over the exhaust system and burned all the electrical wires. The mechanical said that a malfunction of a seal between the automatic transmission case and the transfer case, allow the oil from the transmission filled up the transfer case. The seal was replace.
    Two days ago, again oil came out from the automatic transmission and almost burn the car again, but I saw the smoke come out of my car and stop the engine on time. Now the mechanical can't figure out what happened, they said that a a little device call "Quick Down" present a failure that's making lose oil again. truly I don't believe them anymore...

Any ideas (besides selling my car)?

Thanks, just for reading my rusty english. :sick:
    That seal could have been bad and the transfer case will then fill up and overflow out the top at the 3 port vac switch for the 4wd. Transmission has a vent on top also so check the fluid level and make sure its not over full (when hot at idle in park check dipstick. Then is the cooling system OK as the trans fluid goes thru the pass side of teh radiator and if it overheats will expand - are you towing something in D which is really overdrive?
  • ddealddeal Member Posts: 1
    I have recently noticed a exciting new noise coming from down below. I believe it is coming from the right front and my wife said she could feel it in the floor of the passenger's side. Let me give you a history. In April it had the front end bushings and CV axles replaced. I took it to a reputable 4x4 shop, so I trust the work. Now, three months later this. If I had to describe it, it is kinda like someone is taking a hammer to the floor. Not constant. It's not too loud and doesn't seem to be linked to the tranny. 4WD works with no change in noise. Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.
  • ldtdldtd Member Posts: 4
    this sounds like something I'm having issues with and could use some advice/help. My 4wd 98 Jimmy (just over 200k mi)has had 4 transmissions in it since July 2006 - I have a 2yr warrent. on it. Needless to say I'm a bit miffed at the shop for all this hassle. I never tow anything, but they seemed to the the tranny was overheating so with the last transmission they added a tranny cooler to it. Well that was this spring.
    This past week I noticed that when I was re-accelerating between 40 and 50mph, and typically when going uphill, the Jimmy seemed to hesitate almost like a couple before it settled down. So I took it to a shop I trust - they put it on a reader and got nothing, we drove it on the reader - it acted up just like always - but no reading. So he sent me to another transmission shop. They found the tranny stick 1 1/4 low, fill it, and then test drove it with me. No hesitation on this short drive. When we get back to the shop they check the dipstick again - and it's low. So he fills it again and schedules me for a better inspection the next day. I took it in the next day - they tell me I have a leak in the transfer case and that I should take it back to the tranny shop where I have a warranty. So when I take it back to the original transmission shop the mechanic takes me out while its up on the lift and shows me the gasket between the transfer case and the tranny - there's not a trace of oil..or anywhere else on the transmission. The only transmission oil is under the plug on the back of the transmission case where he tells me the previous shop let the extra transmission fluid out of the transfer case. He then tells me it's a seal on the inside of the transfer case that's allowing the transmission fluid to fillthe transfer case and that's not covered under a transmission warranty. He'd fix it for $175 - the first transmission shop said they'd fix it for $275. So finally I take it to Tuffys - and tell them the whole bloody story, they put it up on the rack, check the radiator fluid for foreign fluid, look at the underside, check the transmission fluid on the stick and in the transfer case - and find NOTHING WRONG! However, since the fluid had recently been topped off they suggested I drive it for 50 miles or so and bring it back for a 2nd look-see. I've been told by 2 shops that the fluid in the transfer case can come out the vent if it overfills and shoot onto the exhaust and start a fire. So now I'm confused, and frustrated and do not know where to turn.
    Does anyone have a similar story, or suggestions? PLEASE? I'm a girl who's just now learning about her car, so any information about this would be very very helpful. thnx
    :sick: