Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona Brakes

Comments

• dogwaggindogwaggin Member Posts: 8
    I left this part out of my rant on the mileage issue since it has it's own separate category!! I was told that the grinding and pulsing is due to rust that forms on the rotors (front replaced twice and rear once with in the first three months of ownership on my '07 purchased in Oct). "This happens after rain or water contact". I didn't buy a brand new vehicle for it's rusting habits!! And frankly, if rust is forming in less than a 12 hour period (meaning simply sitting over night), then I have to question the quality of the parts that are being used. Having avg'd a new/diff vehicle every 2 1/2 yrs over the last 18 yrs, I have never, ever experienced this before!! Honestly, with the used vehicles that I have purchased in the past, I haven't experienced half of the problems that I am having with this "NEW" Sedona. This is beyond disappointing!
  • armyvetarmyvet Member Posts: 11
    I still have squealing, but I guess I put the radio and don't hear it. I am doing fine so far so good, my car is getting almost towards 20k...so...I guess it is how much you riding the brakes and the luck!
    :shades:
  • sh65sh65 Member Posts: 3
    I decided to give the sedona a 2nd chance and tried to buy a new leftover 2007 sedona with the rebate special they are having...guess what they told me my 2005 was worth? 7,000. I owe 16,000. I cant even get out from under the brake issue by going to their own dealership....im stuck with a lemon that they wont even pay my brake repairs for....Im considering filing a complaint with the better business bureau and writing Kia's main office to see if they will buy it back or at least promise to pay my brake work. I got my last set of rotors 3,000 miles ago....they are already starting to pulse..this is just plain ridiculous.
  • willywesiwillywesi Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I too have a 2006 Sedona with rotor warping problems. The first time was at 11, 400 miles so I was lucky enough to have been covered under warranty. This is now occurring again at 22,500 which is again only 11,000 on the rotors. I have been to the dealership and they are telling me this is not covered under the warrranty. I asked them to find out what is wrong with my brakes since rotors warping every 11,000 is not normal wear and tear. They are calling the district rep to see if he will provide any goodwill to replace my rotors. Kia needs to find the root cause of the problem instead of just putting new rotors on. I think there are still rotor issues with the Kia Sedona similar to the 02 to 05 Sedona models. More people need to complain so a TSB is issued on this problem.
  • jtilfordjtilford Member Posts: 1
    After three "traditional" - replacements or "turning" - to fix the perpetual warped rotor problem, the local dealer sold me two new parts number rotors. Same parts number as the original, but with an XXX suffix. No, I am not kidding. I asked him for them because of a KIA TSB (technical service bulletin). I begged the dealer manager and he told the parts manager and they agreed to sell the new and improved rotors to me at cost, which was a very little over $60 per rotor. I bought two, of course, and had a Meineke shop do the replacing for $170 including Meineke "lifetime" pads. Do you get the idea I don't trust KIA? But they were the ONLY source I could find for the rotors.

So far, so good. Only a few hundred miles on the new rotors and pads, but hope springs eternal in the human breast, as the smart people say.

You can do a Google search for KIA TSBs. I don't have the address now, but I recall when you get there the site is organized by problems, date of TSB issue (this one was 2007 something), etc. I printed it and had it ready to so the dealer, but did not have to do so. You might.
  • susan42susan42 Member Posts: 1
    Good God, googled Kia warrenty issues after being told my 2006 with 14,000 miles was beyond warrenty and have to pay for warped/ worn brake repairs. There are HUNDREDS of Kia brake complaints on various sites such as RipOffs etc, this is no small deal! I wish I knew someone who works for 20/20 or some other show like that. Im printing off pages and pages of complaints and Ive only been searching for an hour! When we drive into Kia to pick up the van we're plopping our big butts in a chair & plopping that pile of papers on the managers desk! :mad:
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Well guys and gals I have my first repair. I also need front brakes on my 06 with just under 12,000 miles. Now I am not furious or upset but a little disappointed with how soon. Unfortunately I think it is the nature of the beast. I believe it is a bit of a design flaw. I think they put too small of a rotor / pad setup on these van's considering how heavy they are. Here in PR I am in stop & go traffic almost constantly so I can understand how they would wear faster in my conditions. Oh yes, my rotors did not warp I am just 90% through my front brake pads.

I am not going with the dealer crappy pads / rotors. I went with this:

link title

The only difference is I substituted the semi metallic for a ceramic / organic which is the longest lasting pad they make. Waiting on the shipment and will advise once installed. If anything don't get the crap dealer brake pad that is a rip off. Go after market and get a ceramic pad that last a good deal longer. Better rotors do not hurt as well. Brakes on minivans usually last 15k - 20k so 14k is really not too bad.

Posi Quiet Ceramic pad is a good choice.
  • cru1966cru1966 Member Posts: 1
    I to am experiencing the brake issues. We bought our 2005 Kia Sedona with 21,000 miles only to find out a week later it needed front brakes. The dealer wanted over $300 to replace them and I was pissed off. I went to the AAA building next door to the Kia dealership and had them replaced for like $225 but hears the best part - AAA has a 2 year or 24,000 mile which ever comes LAST warranty compared to the 1 year or 12,000 miles which ever comes first warranty from the dealer. Needless to say my brakes went out before 2 years or 24,000 miles and I went back to AAA. They replaced my brakes for free !! AAA rocks !!!

I now have 62,000 miles on our Kia Sedona and yeap, it's time for new brakes again (4th set of brakes - about every 20,000 miles or so). I was planning on going back to AAA but I really don't have the $$ so I plan to replace the pads myself. Interesting thing is I went to Murray's and guess what - the company they get brake pads from recently discontinued the lifetime warranty pads for the Kia Sedona. They still sell brake pads but not with a lifetime warranty. I bet it's because they were losing too much money. For all of you that plan to replace the brakes yourself I would warn against having your rotor's turned unless you are having problems like bad groves, pits, etc. In the old days, manufactures made rotors big and thick, but now they make them almost as throw aways and if you have them turned it can cause them to warp even more since they are thinner and they won't take the heat as well. This happened to me with my old Honda Accord, I had the rotors turned and they warped not long after that. So my rule of thumb is if they feel smooth and you didn't have an any issues with the old pads, don't turn the rotors...just replace the pads. If there are groves, pits, etc. replace the rotors and the pads.

Craig
  • katrogkatrog Member Posts: 10
    I am having all the same brake issues with my 2004 Kia Sedona. I want to join a class action lawsuit. Does anyone have information about one? I found information about one Kia had to pay for the Spectra with the same brake problems but not the Sedona - not yet anyway.
  • 04groans04groans Member Posts: 1
    That's great they re did the 2006's, but what about my 2004 which started groaning in the rear brakes when it had less than a 1000 mi. I was told this is a normal ? thing for a heavy van. The dealer after 3 trips said the only thing they could do is to clean the pads and rotors at my expense.
    We still have the van and still have the noise with out any help or or consideration from KIA. We also needed new tires at under 30,000 mi.
    Being a believer in God I believe we are to be responsible for what we do for and to others. I pray for the KIA company
    .Perhaps I should have bought American.
  • seantranthamseantrantham Member Posts: 1
    I have the same brake problem on my 2005 Kia Sedona...plus I have the stinky AC deal.

I had the rotors replaced once at around 10K. They called it a goodwill replacement. I moved from VA to GA and now have about 28K on it and the problem is back. In all honesty the shaking was back long before the 28K, I just got tired of dealing with it. The GA dealership said that the 10K replacement was done because Kia said they were defective. Now they are out of warranty...so I am screwed. I am really tired of this, my kids' lives are at risk at this point. Know where I can find ceramic\drilled\vented rotors that will fit the current brake set up? :lemon:
    18,000 miles is not to bad for the Sedona. I picked up my break setup from eBay. Search on there and go with an high rated company. I can't remember exactly who I went with but here is the low down. Usually what warps rotors is heat. Since I live in PR and do a lot of mountain roads heat is factor for me especially. Probably slotted & cross drilled rotors would not help you unless your conditions are similar to mine.

Pads can also leave deposits on the face if the rotor leading the driver to believe the rotor is warped when it is really not.

If I were you, and wished to save money, your rotors are probably still good just have them turned and go with a ceramic / organic pad for longevity.
    Don't forget a trade off is a longer lasting pad will have less 'bite' and will extend your stopping distance. Not much but some.

The biggest help slotted / cross drilled rotors did for my 06 is elimate brake float caused by heat and the gasses that are released by the heating of the pad against the rotor.

Hope this helps and again eBay is your friend in finding companies who make rotor / pad packages. I paid just under $300 for all 4 rotors and pads and had pep boys install it. Don't go to the rip off dealer.

Posi quiet makes a good ceramic / organic pad you should be able to get all 4 for less then 100.00
    I found the company I purchased from. Here is there ebay store. Good products and good support.

http://stores.ebay.com/R1Concepts_W0QQ_trksid=p1638.m118.l1247
  • ssj0808ssj0808 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Kia Sedona and when I have brakes problems I take mine to American Brake. I think they are suppose to be nationwide. They really do a thorough job and charge alot less an hour than Kia. My rotors were frozen and they used a heat gun and separated them and if I had taken to Kia they would have put on new rotors.
  • icemanflicemanfl Member Posts: 2
    I just changed the front brakes on my 2007 Kia Sedona and now the "ESC OFF" light is on and won't go off. Any idea what causes this and how to correct it?
  • mommzmommz Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: :lemon: Hello bert12, I'm afraid we too are having break problems. Ours started about 18 months ago. We have had the rotors turned at least three times and the break pads replaced once. In the past three months I have taken our 05 Sedoa in three different times to two different places (other than the dealer) and "they" tell me the breaks are fine. Well, I too have been driving a long time and have driven many, many vehicles and have never had this problem. We have two children and I do not feel safe in this Van with me or our children. I have been avoiding the dealer as we have dealt with them in the past with other vehicles and have heard all the same things everyone else here are saying. With all of these issues the most safe decision seems to be to trade it in for the honda or the dodge. I DO NOT want to be the first "ACCIDENT" to get results. As far as information goes, if someone is serious about going after Kia, people need to post their information. We purchased our 05 Sedona at Hewlett Kia in Georgetown, TX which is now out of business. and have 40k on the odometer, our problems started at around 20k. I have to be extreemely alert when driving or we could very easily have a collision due to the poor performance of the eqipment on this vehicle. We cannot afford to risk the lives of our family, and we cannot afford to replace parts every 10k and we cannot afford to go after kia, but would be willing to offer information to anyone else who can. Good luck.
  • tntch2tntch2 Member Posts: 2
    Yep, I have the same problem many of you have. I have replaced the rear brake shoes and had the rotors turned twice. When I stop, the car makes a terrible noise from the rear brakes. I am ready to do whatever it takes to solve this problem. I think I read were someone recommended a certain type brake shoe and/or drum (drums on rear). Suggestions...
  • wendymcnwendymcn Member Posts: 1
    I had a 2005 Kia Sedona, and it became a lemon law case. The brakes were having the same issues that many people have talked about on this thread, and it happened many times. The people at the dealership all said that they had seen this many times, so I went after kia on my own. If you decide to pursue lemon law, and you still can, even if there are more than 12,000 miles on it or you have owned it more than a year, PLEASE get a lawyer. We didn't and I've seen cases where people have gotten a lot better deal than we did!!
    Good luck to anyone who tries this!
  • katrogkatrog Member Posts: 10
    We recently found out that it was the front brakes, not the back, that were causing our problem even though it sounded like and acted like the back. We had heard ceramic pads would stop the groan but the shop we went to cleaned the rotors & put gold pads on and the noise has stopped so far. I still think we should get a class action suit going since Kia chooses to ignore us. They were sued the same way on one of their other models and had to pay................
  • tntch2tntch2 Member Posts: 2
    Had the same trouble with my 05 Sedona. Rear brakes were horrible. My brother is a master mechanic so I ask him to check them out for me. After about an hour or so, he determined the rotors were out of round and he also found something loose in the right rear brake. Anyway, he had drums turned (which were out of round according to machine shop). Now brakes are excellent. So far. So good. Suggestion:have a machine shop turn drums or rotors whichever you have and go from there.
  • kimincalikimincali Member Posts: 1
    I RECENTLY BOUGHT A NEW 07 SEDONA TO TOTE AROUND MY 4 KIDS, INCLUDING MY NEWBORN. AFTER PUTTING ONLY 5000 MILES ON IT I NOTICED SEVERE SHAKING AND GRINDING WHILE APPLYING THE BRAKES IN TURNS, ON HILLS, OR JUST AFTER LONG DRIVES. I TOOK THE VEHICLE IN AND THEY SAID THEY COULD NOT DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM SO THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CAR AS IF I WAS A LIAR. THE TECH TOLD ME THAT THE SEDONAS HAVE SMALL ROTORS THAT OVERHEAT EASILY BECAUSE THE VANS ARE HEAVY. HE SAID I COULD PAY TO UPGRADE TO BETTER ONES IF I AGREED TO PAY. YEAH RIGHT, IF KIA KNOWS THE ROTORS ARE TO SMALL AND THE VAN IS TOO HEAVY THEY SHOULD PAY AND FIX IT THEMSELVES AND NOT RISK MY FAMILY OR THE LIVES OF ANYONE ELSE BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAP. I HAVE TAKEN MY KIA BACK 3 TIMES TO BE SENT AWAY WITHOUT THEM EVEN LOOKING AT IT AGAIN AND ALSO CALLED THE MAIN OFFICE TO COMPLAIN AND FINALLY TALKING TO THE MANAGER OF THE DEALERSHIP TO MEET HIM AND BE TOLD THE WEATHER WAS BAD AND THE ROTORS WILL NOT HEAT UP IN THE RAIN SO GO HOME AND COME BACK ANOTHER DAY. WELL OK GUY, IF YOU KNOW ITS THE ROTORS, AND YOU KNOW THEY ARE HEATING UP, FIX IT WILL YOU??? SO ANYWAY HERE I AM ABOUT A YEAR INTO THE VAN AND STILL THE SAME PROBLEM AND NO HELP??? WHY HAVENT WE HAD A CLASS ACTION??WHY ISNT THERE A SAFETY RECALL?? WHY HASNT SOMEONE STEPPED IN AND FOUND THIS TO BE A REALLY HORRIBLE ISSUE BEING IT HAS HAPPENED TO SO MANY PEOPLE???? DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ANSWERS???I PAID ALOT OF MONEY FOR THIS HUNK OF JUNK $22,000 AND ITS WORTH ABOUT $10,000 ONCE YOU TAKE IT OFF THE LOT... :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • ssj0808ssj0808 Member Posts: 3
    I would call the attorney general for your state. Don't know if there is an American Brake business in your town. They fixed the brakes on my 2004 Kia and are reasonable. Be sure to get a statement from them as to what was wrong. File a grieveance with Kia and also send this info to the attorney general. I have had alot of problems with my Kia and will never buy another product from Kia. If you read all the forums I don't think to many people are happy with ant Kia automobiles.
    I can tell you one thing: I invested in the drilled rotors and premium pds from R1Concepts. The best money I've spent okay? I haven't heard a squeal since and my breaks work great. I think they need that extra ventilation the drilled rotors provide. I am not saying is ok to spend 500$ on new rotors, but at least I have peace of mind and I enjoy my van, after having issues myself with squealing and ABS activation. Somebody on this site recommended R1Concepts and I did went and purchased from them -very good customer service I got a package deal for all four premium rotors, and I cannot be happier. And the dealership charged me only 200$ to install it all. Overall at least now I can say I am not having issues with my car anymore. And is an '07 Sedona.
    Hope my posting helps the other frustrated customers. Kia is not an entirely bad product, I've owned only Korean cars for many years and this is the only time I've had problems.
    Try the drilled rotors...you will see the difference!Good luck! :):)
    I am glad to see you took my advice on the pads and rotors. Great products from R1 and I am loving my setup. No more break float on hot conditions and not a single problem with my setup as well.
  • stiller12stiller12 Member Posts: 13
    Its the same in the 2006 model. I was told it was rust and that they could "sand" the rotors down for 169.99
  • kiasarecrapkiasarecrap Member Posts: 1
    04 kia sedona ex brakes have made noise and stopped poorly for a while.
    I tore them down and 04 shoes wouldn't fit, the parts houses say I have 05 brakes based on the drum size. But they are to big, but 04 brakes are to small. If anybody can help, it would be nice! or don't make me feel alone with this crap
  • adriver4adriver4 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone make a drum to disk conversion for the 2002 sedona? Drum type is outdated, also a pain to work on.
  • adriver4adriver4 Member Posts: 4
    Right now I am unsure the procedure on how to post to your response regarding drum to disk conversion. There are statements made to me I have to ask about.

While the surface area of drum brakes is larger. Is this due to the technique used on them being such ability to stop requires this? To say drum is better just because there is more surface to me does not go. While that is basically true. Are there not much other items needing to be considered?

I am a bit confused by what is meant in the second paragraph when you say e-brake setup. Also how do drum brakes not required replacement more frequent then disk?

The last paragraph you said how although drum brakes are outdated. They outpreform disk brakes of the 60's and 70's. Take a look at how long back that is.
    Yeah, thanks a lot for the tip. I wish more of the people that complain here would do the same thing -change them like I did. I am going on 6 months now and I have no squealing and very little brake pad dust as well.
    I've had a heater problem too and the service here was so nice, they took care of the problem in few days, they shipped the broken piece overnight and they installed it in 40 minutes, the warranty paid for everything. Like I said before, korean cars are not bad at all, fixing little issues here and there like with any car I would believe.
    Just give it a try, the R1 concepts drilled rotors. YOU WILL NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE!
    :)
  • onehotmama294onehotmama294 Member Posts: 2
    I just got home from the dealership where I was told my brakes were wearing out quickly b/c I brake too hard!!! I just had the rotors turned and the brake pads replaced October 2007. I was just told I need to have it done all over again when I have only put 13,000 miles on the car since I had it done the first time. I consider this a major repair and I am worried about the overall safety of the brakes. Also I wonder why people are wiling to pay out of pocket to undertake repairs that clearly should be taken care of by Kia. This looks like a pretty serious defect to me and I plan to complain to the NTSB. Sorry guys I really don't mean to knock you -- but $700.00 out of pocket to repair a defective braking system is way to much for me. I am shocked that the dealership tried to blame me. I can only suppose this is at the behest of corporate policy makers. When I questioned the customer service manager about this in more detail he did say the brake drums were too small for the car. I will never, ever buy anything from KIa again. I am just truly sorry that I bought this car. I am also having problems with the a/c and with dome lights, head lights, and the rear tail light blowing out.
  • onehotmama294onehotmama294 Member Posts: 2
    for kimincali. I have a question. How did you file a grievance with Kia? I just went to there web site and didn't find anything helpful. Thanks so much in advance. I appreciate your post!
  • kitcar4kitcar4 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Sedona. The first indication of trouble started w/ our having to show Kia our receipt of proof to the same dealership location we bought the car at that we did in fact buy that $900 rust protection unit before they would install it. Since than we've had to replace and/or repair the following: Front Headlight replaced because of condensation, Juttering feeling upon braking especially on a decline, blew us off "verbally" stating that's the way the brakes are, A/C Unit had a mildew and mold smell coming from vents, dealership did something leaving a vinegar smell (taken in 2x's), Cover to ashtray on front replaced - would not stay closed. Again Brake problems, told by the service mgr. rotors needed to be replaced they were "blue", car was kept till the next day only to be told rotors weren't replaced just machined, new pads, belts replaced (2x's) at 9200 and 24000 (At my expense). Waited at the dealership over 8 hours only to be told by the office clerk that the hold up was that the 1 mechanic actually left early because he had a dentist appt. Replacement of tires. Automatic windows motor replaced wouldn't stopped working (under warranty thank god). In these hard economical times having to pay the monthly car loan, its insurance and unreal maintenance cost to repair things unheard of for a "new" car just stuns me. I found out from someone who works in the auto business that when Kia first opened shop in Hawaii they had no qualified or certified mechanic to work on their cars. This car and dealing w/ this dealership and it's way of operating just took the "joy" out of having a new car. Why because it cost like an old car.
    Does anyone know what it means when the service mgr. tells you your rotors are "blue" and need to be replaced but then they don't replace them?
    Just so you know everybody I am not one rich girl. But if I have to wait for a big corporation to take care of my own life that will never happen or even if it will it might be too late. So I prefer to spend 700$ because is my life at stake and I need those brakes in order not to have an accident. And I had to put in balance what is more important: waiting and whining at the Kia to change my brakes or wait to die in an accident and do something about it.
    So I saved up and spent the money for a good cause: my own life. I think is the best money somebody can spend if you don't see any relief in sight.
    Obviously is not the perfect best car in the world. I've seen BMW's being towed for mechanical problems. I've seen cars that are twice as expensive as my car having more problems that I will ever experience. Is not only Kia. There are other makes of cars that have their own issues. Luckily for me mine it was fixable.
    Life is too short to wait for the big corporations or the government to fix stuff for me. I always look for solutions closer to home so to speak. If I just sit and whine about something is not necessary that somebody will come and help. I have to help myself first. I am a disabled veteran. Life is a challenge every day for me and I take a day at a time. I am trying to enjoy what I can because life is too short to sit down and whine when I can do something about it. Government and corporations don't give a rat's [non-permissible content removed] on this kind of problems. I chose to invest my energy in things that I can control rather than the ones I cannot.
    I am blessed with nice people at my dealership. I get nice treatment and most of the times they don't even charge me for the courtesy check-up. I don't know where you live but I would invite you over to my dealership in my town, Tyler TX.
    My advice: try to change your dealership and seek better customer service. Change your brakes yourself. I'm not saying is cheap, but hey, how much is your life worth? :)
    God Bless
    Try to see how many problems with transmission has the Caravan. There is no perfect car. :sick:
    If I can give you all a bit of advice don't ever go to a dealer for brake repair. They will charge you often more then double what other shops will. If the item is not warranty go to a good local service shop or brake shop. Also, get multiple quotes as often women get ripped off much more then men due to lack of general knowledge about these parts.
    I agree. In my case my car is under warranty and I cannot afford to play it other than safe. Plus, the guy that I know in service is very nice I negotiate deals all the time there. And they know I am not a "regular" woman that I know few things about cars. I think for 50$ a wheel to change drum and pads they didn't abuse me. And if something happens they will have it in their records that I did all the regular maintenance that is required by warranty. They can never say that I went to a service that they don't agree on because it doesn't have Kia certified mechanics. I am covering my behind that is all. :)
    Cheers!
  • bogie5bogie5 Member Posts: 4
    I agree to some point BUT when we had to have our brakes serviced after 3 weeks of buying it new that problem is not on the buyer but on the dealer. We own a 2005 sedona and are still fighting the brake problems. After a year and a half they wanted to start charging us for this. We have a 120 mile round trip so yes now we have our brakes fixed in town but they cannot fix a problem that is caused by a vehicle that weighs to much for the braking system. Kia has to be responsible for this but they will not recall this problem. We are in a sinking ship and no one will give a good trade value on a kia sedona made before '07.
    You probably mean 2006 as that was the redesign year. I feel you on your brake problems. I would have never touched the 05 and under Sedona personally. Even on my 06 I needed front pads at 15k. I went on e-bay purchased the best aftermarket pads available for all 4 wheels and cross drilled slotted rotors all for under $300.00 shipped then had Pepboys install everything for 150.00 bucks. Best thing in the world for the van. No more brake float, excellent stopping power and much better longevity. I would check it out for your van too if your going to keep it.
  • azbakersazbakers Member Posts: 6
    We purchased this car new in January 2008 (Model Year 2007). We liked it at first but the honeymoon started to wear out in Sept 2008 when the shifter assembly broke. The dealership happened to have the part in stock which I thought was odd but nice. Then Oct 2008 the battery died. OK so I am not happy at this point but still OK with the ownership experience because all cars have some things that need to be repaired, right? Then ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!

May 2009: Oil change at a local shop (because they are $15 less than the dealer and are much more pleasant) when they indicate the presence of leaks from the transmission pan and power steering. The van has 20k miles on it at this time. We are also having brake issues (loud squealing) that the dealer dismissed as "brake dust". They cleaned them and as I was driving off the lot that evening, it was immediately back. The power steering pump had to be ordered so I knew I would be back.
    July 2009: Pump has arrived so I return with squealing brakes and a heavy vibration. While not a mechanic, I am not the village idiot either. I knew we had rotor/pad issues. So they "did me a favor" and forced the replacement of the rotors as they were "out of spec". They cleaned everything and send me on my way and I return a whole 6 days later with the same issues. We are getting ready to go out of town and the POS (piece of sh&t) is acting up again! Well the brakes are now showing abnormal wear and rotors are glazed so they do another repair and when I read this comment on the service order it was all I could do to keep myself contained "DPSM Authorized one time only goodwill/Kia pays half of the cost of rear pads and rotors. It is the opinion of the District Parts and Service Manager ((that never even looked at the car)), based on inspection of braking system, that driving habits could be the cause of this recurring issue." OK so what this tells me is that you can't use the brakes on your van....this 2nd visit in July took 2 days since they were waiting on this Regional person to come to the dealership and I was told he never made so how did he know what the brakes looked like??
    Aug 2009: So here it is August and the car was in the shop on 7/30 and back again on 8/7 for guess what? A Dead Battery and.....BRAKES!!! So they look at them, say they look fine and I head out of town to go camping. I have never felt so unsafe in a car! The grinding, groaning, vibrations and squealing made me feel that we were all in danger. The van will now only be used for city driving and the Lemon law complaint has been filed!

Do you research and avoid these cheap cars like the plague! I had a Camry before we were forced to upgrade to a larger vehicle and all I can say it Toyota makes a good product that you have to pay for but at the same time this is as close to HELL as you can get. I honestly am not sure if I can say how unhappy I am with this van and how totally disappointed I am with the way the dealer has "serviced" the issue.
    The KIA slogan makes me chuckle (it is the only way to relieve the irritation): "The Power to Surprise". Man they sure live that up to the max...I am surprised how many times my car has been in the shop for the same issue!
    I am not sure how you guys are driving your van but all I have had to do with my 2006 is front pads at about 16K. This is because I drive 90% stop and go on a small island with not much highway use. Now I am at 26K with no problems at all.

Sounds like driver abuse. Maybe your riding your brakes or stomping on them and not breaking them in. You can't treat the breaks in a heavy mini-van the same way you can in a much lighter sedan.
  • bogie5bogie5 Member Posts: 4
    Do you work for KIA? Not saying all kia products are junk but I know that sometimes things go wrong and mechanics can be good and bad and sometimes they just don't know how to fix a design problem. I can safely say that we, and two other couples we know that own kias, will not buy them again. The heavy mini van should has a brake design to handle the weight of the load! Some people just get lucky and don't have the trouble. My wife does not ride the brakes or stomp on them and we have never quit having trouble, its better but still there.
  • jmahoney8jmahoney8 Member Posts: 1
    Biggest piece of junk ever. our 2005 sedona went in to get the rotors done 5 times in 7 months! and the last time they said sorry we arent covering it anymore. I REFUSE to get any work done by Kia. The KNOW there is an issue with their rotors and refuse to replace them with better ones. They wont reply to any of my emails either....believe me....everyone I know will NEVER buy a Kia based on what we have told them! Good Luck :-)
    I am glad to hear that I am not the only KIA owner that is miserable and honestly don't think I have had so much hate for a car in the past. I filed a BBB Lemon Law claim and immediately got a call from a rep at KIA North America who promised to follow up in the week and it has been about 3 now...likely backed off after seeing BBB respond about exceeding the mileage. The van is like a bad penny and I honestly fear it is a driving safety hazard for my family and others on the road but I can't afford to buy a new van again...this one is less than 2 yrs old. Good luck making your van last a little longer...
    I'm sorry to hear you guys are having brake problems. I know the pre 06 Sedona's are a lot heavier then the model I have and personally I would have never had touched a pre 06 Sedona with its reviews. This is neither here nor there for you guys but why not look into other options. If anything go on e-bay and look at the higher end cross-drilled rotors and nice aftermarket pads. If heat is warping your stock rotor setup then this will greatly reduce heat and extend rotor / pad life. I did this on my 06 because I live in Puerto Rico and drive on many mountain roads with long descents. The brakes are fantastic and no matter how long the mountain descent I have no brake-float whatsoever. (Brake-float is due to excessive heat) The whole package of 4 rotors plus the longest life pads they make cost less then $400.00

Think outside the box and I am sure you can come up with a solution. E-bay is your friend. Don't forget to treat your brakes easy as your vans are very very heavy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kia-Sedona-02-03-04-Front-D-S-BRAKE-ROTORS-PADS_W- - 0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem518cabbb0dQQitemZ35025241575- - 7QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
  • howdawghowdawg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Ex with ABS brakes and have had numerous problems and still do. Have replaced the rotors three times- first at 12 k miles and twice since then and the last set was with heavy duty rotors. The vibration when braking has never ceased. I just had them turned and my rear brakes adjusted and cleaned(at reccomendation of dealer). This was done Friday-got in the car and drove away with a worse vibration than before. Plan on taking it back this coming week but am at my wits end with this vehicle and Kia. Sounds like a design flaw in the vehicle not allowing enough air to get to rotors to cool down rotors. Kia needs to step up to the plate and make this problem right AT THEIR EXPENSE. I was told by a salesman at Kia that Kia had this problem early on with the sedona but had supposedly fixed the problem. Guess not.
  • terryinhawaiiterryinhawaii Member Posts: 5
    i'm new to this forum-never posted anything before. i am SO RELIEVED to find this site. for years the Kia dealership here in Honolulu Hawaii has made me feel like i'm a bad driver!!! ride my brakes? another female driver! now i know it's not me! it's a brake problem that goes back to Kia. i will NEVER recommend a Kia to anyone! the service department here in Honolulu is on its' 5th manager since i've owned my vehicle in 2004! this company is lousy! and the employees should be ashamed to work for such a deceitful outfit. every manager & their assistants have all given me the same garbage about my driving habits-up hills, etc! after reading the other posts here on this forum i feel so much stronger to voice my opinion-AND I WILL everywhere i go...
    BAH-HUM BUG ON LOUSY KIA POLICIES & MANAGEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your van is very heavy, much heavier then the redesign, and other comparable vans from that year. Check out post #154 and invest in aftermarket pads / rotors and this will help you significantly. The reason your having so many reoccurring brake problems is because of how undersized your factory setup is in relation to the weight of your van. Aftermarket is not only better quality but often cheaper then stock parts.

In your rampage about how much your van sucks just remember to mention that this applies to your model / design years. Though your may not care and desire to condemn the whole company YOU purchased this model with its well documented problems. The reviews for the 2005 and under Sedona's are horrible, especially with its incredible weight. Just keep this in mind as you desire "tell the world your story" as it is quite common for people who have bad experiences with their apples to not only call the whole bunch bad but even castigate the whole orchard, which is of course senseless.
  • terryinhawaiiterryinhawaii Member Posts: 5
    don't think you understand my post! i just found this forum & learned about the brake problems with the kia sedona-i did not know about them before yesterday! the responsibility lies with KIA-not with me! they know they have a poor design-they should correct it! not blame the consumer! so yes-the whole bunch/orchard is bad! KIA SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR PRODUCT! yes-all kia products are in question-because kia hasn't ackowledged & accepted & corrected the problems they have created & known about.
    you state that it is my responsibility to buy better aftermarket brakes/rotors to correct the problem CREATED by kia. HUH? are you associated with kia?
    even with all this information-kia is still dishonest! they still blame the consumer!
    if it walks like a duck...it's a duck! DECEITFUL!
    I'm just trying to give you an answer for your model and design years. Aftermarket brakes are the way to correct this design flaw. Oh, and welcome to reality with auto manufactures. It is not your fault the brakes are lousy on the 05 Sedona but they are not on the 2006 and up. It happens... And was well documented. Kia is not going to do anything for you on non-warranty items. My 06 is a fantastic van. But I did research before I purchased. If you want to correct the problem and keep the van there is your answer.