Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona Brakes

Comments

• steve1000steve1000 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I bought my Kia Sedona Sept 2005 new, almost from day 1when I am coming up to a stop the rear brakes groan. Unfortunately this problem is intermittent so of course when I took it back to the dealer I couldn't recreate the noise. It has been in and out of the dealer I bought it from about 10 times but they blamed it on dust in the rear hub which they wanted to charge me for to clean it out. I cleaned the rear hubs myself but it didn't solve the problem. I have now changed to a different dealership and managed to get the service engineer and mechanic to hear the noise. They put it on a rolling road and when both rear breaks were applied together the groaning happened, but when they stopped the rolling road individually the noise didn't occur. This has now been going on for 17 months they have changed the rear break shoes and cleaned them out and greased all the bearings. The noise is still happening and is worse when there is 3 or more people in the car so it appears weight related or when greater breaking is needed. Please can anyone help or has anyone had the same problem?
    Thanks Steve
  • kreakrea Member Posts: 4
    Hi Steve,
    I am in the same boat(or Car). When I read your email it was like reading my own words. I had thought maybe I had put the email in and forgot. Needles to say I bought my 2005 kia in feb of 2006 and since june 2006 I have had the front brakes replaced, rear brakes replaced, cleaned front and back three times, and I just had it in last wed 2/28/07 for the same problem and i did not even make it to sat. The noise was back. I have never been charged for any work, but the tech that I take it to is having a problem with kia. they say mine is the only one that they have heard of and since I have passed 20,000 miles it should be my responsibility. My tech is really working with me on this.
    This is pretty sad for a car that is ranked top of the line in safety features that this would not be considered a safety factor.
  • danny1981danny1981 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Steve
    I am have the same problem with my rear brakes. They groan every time I stop at a stop sign and the more weight in the van the louder they groan. Kia ONLY wants to charge me and it has been going on for a year now. If you find anything that helps please post it.

Thanks
  • ybirdsflyybirdsfly Member Posts: 1
    I spoke to Kia's complaint dept. this morning and I am furious!! They are not going to do ANYTHING for us unless we sue them in a class action suit. They are catagorically denying that theres a problem. This joker even had the nerve to ask me why I "think" others are having this problem.... because I can read!!!
    I have had to replace and turn the rotors twice in 20,000 miles. The dealership mechanic told my husband this is a problem with the 2005. They made the van heavier for safety but used light duty brakes, and that they fixed it in the 2006 model. As well the mechanic also warned us to NEVER tow anything because the brakes are likely to fail, even though our owners manual says we can. We need to all unite in this fight and get others to do the same. I bought a Kia because of their safety rating...brakes = safety....right? Yvonne who will be looking for a good class action Lawyer tomorrow. Wheres Erin Brokovich when you need her!
  • jbautijbauti Member Posts: 6
    My brakes on my 2004 Kia Sedona EX, which we bought brand new, have been making this loud HORRIBLE groaning sound when I come to a stop. I can write a book about this. This problem started at 13,000 miles now I have 59,000 miles on it and it STILL makes this horrible sound. It began after I had the recall done on the Wheels. It has been in the shop so many times and like everyone else, it is only me having this problem. They always tell me that they can't find anything wrong, it is just accumulation of brake dust, or they need to tighten up some bolt. They even had a guy from Kia in Chicago and come down and look at my van. And he tells me there is nothing wrong. This is plenty wrong. They cut the rotors, changed the rotors and gave me new pads, then I got a letter from Kia Corporation stating they would like to reimburse my mileage and time for all the times I brought the van in the shop, which is an hour drive for me one way. The letter stated they would give me $385.00 since my van is fixed now and wanted me to sign all this papers waiving my right to sue or take them to court about my brake issues. I never signed the papers because I told them NUMBER ONE- my brakes are not fixed, like you state. I am totally "burnt" out with dealing with them. But now I have 59,400 miles on it and I am giving it one last shot and I am taking it to a different dealer on Monday. I am trying to record the noise, so they know exactly what we are going through, and yes, the noise never happens when they are driving it. Kia knows very well this problem exists. I find myself totally embarassed to stop at a light or stop sign because everyone turns and looks at my van because of the horrible sound it makes. My husband wants me to get rid of it but we paid cash for it, using much of our savings and we don't have a car payment, now if we get something different we will have a car payment.
    Joanie
    Illinois
  • dtate19dtate19 Member Posts: 3
    they do have a new brake and rotor system approved they finally put it on our 05 van it has made a world of difference so far. if kia doesn't want to help try calling 1800 my lemon. they are very nice and will be able to help hopefully. worked for us!
    can you tell me does this new brake and rotor system for both front and back?? I was told by a tech that this was just put out on the 25th of april.
    Katie
    Do you mean Kia has a new brake and rotor system for their vans that have brake and rotor issues???? We have a 2004 Kia Sedona ex with 61,000 but are problems were well documenting since 13,000 miles.
  • 05sedona05sedona Member Posts: 4
    I have had their "revised" rotors placed on my van. Is this what you are referring to when you talk about a new brake system? Mine came directly from Corporate and now with about 5K miles on them, these are warped as well. Can't tell much difference. Does ANYONE have more information about this "NEW" braking system. There need to be something. :cry:
    They are having so many problems with these brakes it is not even funny. We are going on our 6th set of rotors in about 30K miles. KIA will not fix these any longer under any sort of warranty and will be happy to charge for a repair that will only last a few months. They keep telling ma I am the only one with this problem.

I had a short protest in front of my local dealership and it was quite surprising the number of people that stopped with the same issue. Most are just going to sell their vehicle and pass the problem on to someone else. KIA did offer a buy-back for my vehicle b/c I protested, but after a signed deal was exchanged, there was no follow through. The latest message from KIA corporate was asking for a couple of weeks so they can review my information.

KIA needs to stand behind their product. :lemon:
  • smulveysmulvey Member Posts: 139
    I have posted before that I have had excellent service frm my 2002 Sedona brakes, non- ABS.

I suggest you put your energy into buying good third party front rotors and pads and installing them.

You need basic hand tools and a large C Clamp that opens a good 10 inches from Home Depot. This is the gently press the Disc Brake piston back up into the Caliper bore.

This type of brake job takes about 2 hours in your driveway.

There is a pair of screws on the rotors that are tiny and delicate. You need to be able to get the old ones off before you can remove the rotors. I bought them at the dealer for about $ 1 each.

I would shop for your rotors and look at Wagner, Bendix AC DELCO and such as that.

Any pads will do, since you will want to monitor them and replace them at about 25K miles . Then your rotors will last much longer.

There are many cars where the standard service parts are not up to the needs of a customer. You always have to upgrade.

My dad wasnot car savy.
    His 1965 Ford Galaxy had bad spark plug wires that never worked right.

The dealer replaced them 6 times with more of the same bad wires.

Finally he traded the car on a Dodge Monaco.

If I had been older I could have saved him many unhappy visits to the Ford dealer.

I put a parts list of all the parts I used in an earlier post.

Once you get your good parts on you will be very pleased.

Also if you are in the MOUUNTAINS you might want the CERAMIC pads and the DRILLED rotors.

Check rock auto dot com and see what you think.

They cost about $ 125 each but if you tow or haul maybe it is worth it.
    I think we get the idea that we will need to replace the brakes. what we are trying to get KIA to understand is that this was a new car I drove mine off the lot with 5 miles on it within 6,000 miles I had to replace brakes. then again at 12,000 and now again at 22,000. 10,000 miles later I have apx 30% of brakes left on the front, because they cannot figure out how to fix the back braking problem. It is not the fact that the brakes do not work, it is that for the time we have them on the car with normal driving they work too hard. The Van is too much weight for the braking system on these cars(2003-2005) to handle. And this is mostly found on the LX. This is why the caliper in the rear doesn't stay calibrated to help adjust the weight when braking.(this comes from a tech)And in return the front brakes work harder to stop the vehicle.(causing heating and warping). KIA tells us that this is not a safety issue. I am here to tell you IT IS a safety issue when my brakes do not work. So, we can by good third party brakes but if we do not solve the problem in the rear the front will always be over worked. This would be why they put 4 wheel disc brakes on the 2006 vans because they knew this was a problem in the 2003-2005 vans. So all of you who have been told they have not heard of the problem and were not aware of this, I ask, Why were the brakes changed in 2006??? and no, I do not work for Kia I am a consumer with the same problem and doing a lot of research on how the van was made. Put this back to KIA and see how they react.
    Katie
  • kweatherbeekweatherbee Member Posts: 1
    Starting around November 2006 and at about 9500 miles our 2005 Sedona's brakes started making a loud groaning noise when stopping from around 20 mph. It was internittent at first, but gre int happening every time we braked. The groan is the loudest right before the van comes to a complete stop. A few times it felt as if the van was not going to stop, and letting up on the pedal in the slightest bit would lett the van move forward significantly. We took it to our local dealer with 12227 miles on it, and they said they inspected it and test drove it and found nothing wrong with it. I asked them about the Kia TSB# KT2007042401, and if they had accomlished it. They said if the technician finds nothing wrong in the techs opinion, they do not check for TSB's. The TSB does state,"In the event thata a customer reports this condition both the front brake pads and discs SHOULD be replaced with new parts". Needless to say this did not happen. They say at the dealership that Kia does not dictate how the vehicle repairs should be done. I picked the vehicle up leary of their response. I tried 10 stops and thought it was OK, with no groaning noise. my wife and I then went to dinner and when we left less than an hour later, during my first stop, the groaning noise was back. It is like it was when it first started last year, and happens about 50% of the time. We own and tow a pop-up camper, that is why we bought this van, as we were told it is the perfect van for it. I am now very hessitent about towing anything with this vehicle, let alone drive it in thick traffic. Someone needs to make Kia wake up and realize the brakes on the 2005 Sedona need to be recalled, and also have Kia redeucate the service departments on TSB's. :mad:
  • yokweyokyokweyok Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a new Kia Sedona. We have had intermitted problems with it. The engine surges and acts as if the acceleration is locked. We've taken it to the dealership several times and they can't find the problem. Last Thursday while at a stop sign, this happened. I lifted my foot of the break to roll forward a little (like you do at a stop sign) and the engine surged and I immediately applied the brake but the car didn't stop! I hit the car in front of me. Thankfully, it was a car I hit and not the large group of 50+ Junior High School students that usually cross in front of me. The car has been at the dealer since last Friday and they can't find the problem. This problem has caused the brakes to wear prematurely. I also have had a problem with my horn not working all the time. Of course, the dealership can't find the problems. I've had the recall work done on the acceleration cable. The dealership changed out the cruise control in hopes that would fix the problem but still... there is this occasional surge! I am scared to drive the car! The dealership is taking this last incident more seriously but still, I don't know what they are going to do about it. I have a documented history of this problem (although the service department didn't note every time a reported this problem there are at least 4 notations). Coorporate office has been contacted and I am hoping they will handle this situation appropriately.
    Love teh design but this problem needs to be investigated and corrected as it's a mechanical design flaw.
    :lemon:
    if we can get more on this, I have an adjustor on my case I have filed a formal complaint. By putting this action in motion we can hopefully accomplish a recall. You can also go on the web site and look at other people that have had the same complaint. You are not the only one out here. You can put your complaint in as a phone call or a written on the web page. www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hotline or call 1-888-327-4236CALL,CALL,CALL,CALL,CALL,CALL,CALL,CALL,CALL. I can only speak for myself and I truly have a lemon. :lemon: :lemon:
    I called National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Last Week!!!!!! See my previous post. Horrible Loud Groaning Rear Brake Noise since 13,000 Miles. I have 61,000miles on my van now and the noise is worse!!! Love to talk to people with same problem!! I love my van- 2004 EX but it has been in the shop 8 times- can not find anything wrong!! I am burnt out dealing with this brake issue.
  • smulveysmulvey Member Posts: 139
    Yes-Your Rear brakes do 20 % of the work in an unloaded
    van.

Your fronts do 80% of the stopping. These numbers are the
    generally accepted proportions in the industry. My van has rear DRUM Brakes so my experience is different.

Almost EVERY car I have seen with rear disc brakes has STINKY real world results. Maybe they work good on the test track but they stink in the real world. I base this on 100s of thousands of miles of service experience on Chevy Luminas, Dodge Intrepids and others.

At this point if you like the van you should take it to a real brake shop and have them develop and approach to the problem.

Maybe there is a" proportioning valve " that can be adjusted or maybe if you carry a 50 pound bag of SAND in the cargo space it will settle the rear more so the rear brakes can do more work. My van has a switch on the frame with brake lines on it and it senses the weight over the rear wheels and increase braking I think when I have weight there.

I bought a fiberglass storage box at Pep Boys that is narrow and sturdy and I keep a bunch of stuff in there and maybe that is helping my braking.

It is a known fact that station wagons always stopped in a shorter distance when slightly loaded than when fully empty.

Also - since you are in this situation- there is a driving monitor the kids buy for hot rodding that shows your accel and deccel rates. Maybe you could get one of these to record your driving style and further your case with KIA.

If I was as unhappy with you I would write to Car and Drive or Consumer Reports and volunteer to do a expose' on the problem and see what they think.

Len Hunt a Kia VP will be on Edmunds Wed at 6 PM for a live chat.

You might want to set aside that time to ask he send you a development engineer to fix the existing product before he designs a " new improved" product.

Good Luck.
    Kia is aware of the problems with brakes, however, they do not have a fix for the problem. We had a two day protest in front of our local dealership so that Corporate would take our calls. Six weeks later we had a buy-back and a Chevy Trail Blazer. You MUST get their attention. They will be happy to let you go with a lawyer and drag it our over 9-15 months. I'll be happy to share more info.

There is no "standard" as to how long Rotors should last, this is why they will fight your claims to them wearing our prematurely. We had 6 sets of rotors in 30K miles. Kia was okay with this until we publically called attention to the problem. A buy-back was negotiated in a couple days and closed in 6 weeks.
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • stev1stev1 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 Sedona EX and also love it. We have experienced the loud groaning noise when braking from a few thousand miles after buying it new, however, the noise has come and gone and wasn't bad until after having the car about a year. In the last couple of years when we drive out of the Phoenix valley to places like the southeast, midwest, or even recently Albequerque the noise has become almost deafening. I am embarrassed to stop in traffic with such a loud noise. But then we returned to Phoenix and it just about went away. I can barely hear it still but not enough to demonstrate how it sounded on our recent trip to the service tech. We took it to a dealership (not the one I bought it from) and they were nice enough to clean and adjust the rear brakes and reported the presence of rust but didn't charge us. They maintain they never heard of the problem. Just after purchasing the van when the noise just started , but wasn't too bad, I reported it to the dealership where we bought the van and one of the servicemen said it was a design problem and they couldn't do anything about it. At that time the noise was bearable. I now have 46K and am hesitating about putting money into it for tires and some other routine maintenance.
  • vannervanner Member Posts: 47
    2005 Sedona, one with a history of warped rotors and resulting "shudder". Recent trip with two 500 mile highway legs, four occupants and about 300 pounds of "freight". Highway speeds around 70-75 mph. 28K miles on the van.

This van has been through the "rotor wars" and the last dealer warranty service the rotors were replaced with what they claimed to be the "new" type not prone to warping. Pads were changed, too. No expense to us.

No problems at all with shudder or apparent warping and under these conditions, with a couple of "immediate action required" braking incidents, I'd have expected trouble as before. None this time. Before, any hard stop at highway speeds, like under-estimating a ramp or a panic stop, the old rotors were cooked and warped in one stop.

Maybe, just maybe, they have sorted out the problem. I'd love to give you a part number but there were none for brakes on the slip. Heck, maybe they just went out and bought them at a NAPA?
  • werbowerbo Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2006 Sedona. The day after we got it home the rear brakes would squeak only in reverse. Everytime we pulled out of our driveway or a parking lot the brakes would squeak....very loud. we took it in three times over two months and everytime they said it was due to grit in the brakes. Finally they decided to replace the rotors but next day still squeaking when put in reverse.

Today we got are van back after the fifth visit and the maintain that it is dirt that is causing the squeak. The sales rep dropped off our vehicle in our drive-way. He then phones me to tell me that the problem is fixed while standing in my drive-way. Meanwhile my wife decides to back the van out of the drive-way to see........and sure enough it starts squeaking. I ask him if they cleaned all the brakes and he said yes.....My question to him then is "If it is grit that is causing the problem and your service tech cleaned the brakes THEN WHY ARE THEY STILL SQUEAKING" He then begins to tell me that it is my wife's fault because she is to light on the breaks. I say BS ... he then replies that they have this problem with all Kia Sedona's with disc brakes......

WELL WHY DIDN"T THEY TELL ME BEFORE I SPENT 35K ON IT.
  • coastycoasty Member Posts: 3
    7/31/07

Katie, I also bought a new 2005 Sedona. I also experience the same brake problem. I have two other friends who are experiencing the same problem. The dealerships are so quick to WANT TO REPLACE BRAKES which of course is costing an arm and a leg. I am taking my veh. to another dealer. The service manager there believes the problem is not the brakes rather some type of "flange" issue that may be bent or defective. If it is then I will be having KIA pay for the repair. More to follow after tomorrows service.

Terry :)
    Dishnerm21,

Ditto, I bought brand new an 05 Sedona. I also have the same problems. I've replaced brakes and rotors. If the problem is not taken care of I am directed to contact the DMV, State's Attorney Generals office and BBB then Kia international. We are still FIGHTING THIS ISSUE. :mad:
    7/31/07

We have an 05 Sedona with the same problems. We've had the brakes replaced to no avail. The "technitions" do whatever the computer tells them to. The problem still persists and no solution has occurred. It is going in the shop again tomorrow for the same problem. The service manager seems to think it may be a faulty "flange" on the axle somewhere.

I will let you know what happens tomorrow.

coasty :mad:
  • xv1100xv1100 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there kweatherbee,

Am driving a 2004 Kia Carnival II with the same problem as yours i.e. rear brakes groaning when coming to a stop. Found out by accident that the problem is not caused by the rear brake shoes or brake drums but would you believe it or
    not, its caused by the rear wheel bearings. When I dismantled the rear left brake shoes where the groaning was coming from. I spinned the wheel hub and noticed a slight vibration which was not present on the right wheel hub.

Instead of replacing the brake shoes which was still good although I've clocked about 58K Km, I decided to changed the rear wheel bearings on both wheels instead of replacing the brake shoes. Once done I test drove the van and believe me the rear brake groaning is completely gone. Last week I've taken it on a long drive about 500km roundtrip and sure enough the problem's solved QED. Cost me about USD85.

Check and change your rear wheel bearings if required.
  • kiasucks07kiasucks07 Member Posts: 2
    hello: i am currently involved with the lemon law with my 06 sedona. i have 17000 and had to have by brakes replaced five times. please e-mail me with some information. i had a court date on monday the 17th. of sept. my e-mail address is accountthisstuff@yahoo.com i would really appreciate it. thanks jenn
  • kiasucks07kiasucks07 Member Posts: 2
    i am going to go to court on the 17th of sept. to try to get a buy out for the kia sedona 2005. if anyone can help me with any information i would really appreciate it. my lawyer said if i get two or three people just to write a little e-mail and put there words into it i could have a good case. i have 17000 miles on my car and started the lemon law about 9 months ago and finally have a court date five rotor and brakes replacements later. please help. thanks
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Just copy and print out the posts that are already in this discussion.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • sedonasuckssedonasucks Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 has done the same thing. I have had the rotors replaced or resurfaced 4 times and they are in need of it again. I also had to have my brake pads replaced. It usually happens about every 8,000 miles. The service manager stood right in front of me one day and told me it was my driving. I told him right back that I have been driving for 24 years (at the time) and I have never worn out rotors on any other vehicle. The main Kia customer service is worthless also. I refuse to take my car back to the dealer because they are now wanting to charge me to do the rotors. I would pay somebody else twice as much rather than give them a nickle. Has it done any good to replace with non Kia parts? It is not just the sedona because I know other people with Kia cars that have rotor problems also.
  • gottathrowgottathrow Member Posts: 1
    Got a name of the Chicago guy? We are having similar problems and are dealing with a regional sales rep in the Chicago area. Just wondering if it's the same guy.
  • jenn11jenn11 Member Posts: 2
    :lemon: just starting my battle with KIA. New warranty info just came out. kia is no longer doing any break warranty work after 12 mos or 12k miles PERIOD. I have had the rotors changed break pads changes and thr rotors have been turned at least 4 times. Just contacted an attorney any info would be helpful :confuse:
  • bert12bert12 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have been reading these emails and OH my Gosh does everyone have the same brake issue? I am going to a meeting with the attorney general tommorro 10/30 so if anyone can email me letters that would be great my email is
    Bertjo@Roadrunner.com
    I am fighting for all of us.
    Before I bought my kia in 2005 I did all the back up work w/ 5 children I wanted them as well as my husband and I to be safe. I checked consumer reports #1 in test crash rating airbags and steel frame. Perfect no one ever said anything about the brakes. Mine have been changed 7 times as well as warped pads and them basically telling me it's my driving I told them I been driving for 35 years never had an issue I had a Pontiac Transport for 11 years never had an issue.
    I am very angry w/ Kia I have brought my car back and forth over 10oo miles to them to fix and it's one excuse after another. I also thought maybe cause I am a woman so I let my husband take it in. They had the rep come in their is nothing wrong one of the service manager even came out and asked me are you sure you are hearing noises and moans. like I was either 1 crazy or 2 lieing. I was very offended. Just because they don't hear something does NOT mean it does NOT exist. PLEASE HELP ME!!!
    Bertjo@Roadrunner.com
    I am fighting for a safe vehicles for us and our children. I bet if someone got in an accident and sued them they would fix the problem!
    Thanks for reading!
  • charles1987charles1987 Member Posts: 1
    I contacted my Kia dealer and told them I was experiencing a grinding sound when I pressed on the brakes. It was coming from up front. Well, they said that could not duplicate that sound. They heard nothing. I was starting to feel like I was an idiot--and I said, "But it's been going on for days!" So FINALLY, I got out of the guy that he'd "felt" vibrations but not "heard" them! Talk about worming his way out of the issue!!! Something is fishy here. My car has 27,000 miles on it. Now they are turning the rotors at a cost of $135 to me, after I mentioned (and I know nothing of cars), "Could it be the rotors?" I was thinking, "Why isn't HE coming up with the solution? Why didn't he offer this as a solution up front?" I am really confused. I feel like they're playing me somehow. Can someone tell me if I am being "had" here? What should I do? Thank you! from Chuck's wife
  • jenn11jenn11 Member Posts: 2
    There is a service bulliten from may 05 from kis stating that rotos are bad. this came up after I paid for a break job in April and it went bad one month later. And dince I have had the breaks machines several times and just recently another new break job. this is a mess. I have an attroney for lemon law but i do not qualify becasue breaks are only warrantied through kis for the first 12 mos or 12k miles whichever comes first. I do fall under the federal law and will get some kind of settlement but now stuck with a vehicle that has breaking problems and I travel with my children all day long. There should be something that we can all do. I wonder if we can get a class action suit against kia? any thoughts. my advice stay on top of the service department and demand to drive with the service tech, I did and it worked.
  • armyvetarmyvet Member Posts: 11
    I just got my Sedona few months ago with 16k on it and the brakes squeal like crazy. Went and checked them twice, they say is a normal noise!!!! Then today I have the worse griding feeling when I pusehd my brakes. I am scared to drive....anybody has the same issues on a 2007 (made in 2006) EX? :cry:
    on the sterring wheel, pulling mostly when I make curves....I love my car, but I had no idea that it will have issues with the brakes and direction...I don't know what to do anymore! :confuse:
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    You were most likely to hard on your breaks and because the van is heavy like they all are your pads and rotors are warped a bit. Go get new pads and have the rotors turned and learn about how to break in new breaks so they will last. Unless some other part failed then it is almost for sure driving habbits. You have to baby breaks in a mini van for them to last 35k before service.
    Actually I got the car with 13000 when I bought it so I do not know who drove it before. Anyway, I went to service and they told me I still have 80% of my brakes. I will save money to buy new rotors and pads and replace all and then I'll start fresh. So far so good, knock on wood, not even squealing!!! :shades:
    Yeah, sounds like the previous owner was hard on your breaks. You don't need new rotors, they are thick and can be turned or shaved several time before they are bad. If the van pulls, shudders, or just not feel right when breaking just do the pads and have the rotors turned for under 250.00 is what it should cost you. Go to like Pep boys and get the high quality pads and do the rotors like I said. To break in new breaks you just have to be really easy on them and avoid real hard stops. Do this over 500 miles and it wears the pad in ideally.
  • imonelckyldyimonelckyldy Member Posts: 1
    wow this must be a problem with all these vehicles. i bought my sedona end of year in 2005 at 8000 mls had it back to dealer for break problems. after 2 months my brakes went bad again. a grinding noise i've already through been 5 sets of pads i know have 40000 miles on it and i was just told my rotors are bad. but kia said they had replaced them. anyone with a law suit please keep me informed on how it goes.
    The brakes and whole van were redesigned for 2006. The new model is a lot better then 2005 and below. Actually the brakes stop quite good in the 06's + There seems to be a design flaw in the 05's with brakes not lasting. Though this is a common problem with vans that are heavy wearing down quicker. Could be that the rotors are to small and warp easy due to heat. Don't forget the 06's are almost 500 pounds lighter. If your going to keep your van consider upgrading the rotors and put good pads on there yourself and you should extend the stopping power and longevity of your 05. For breaks to last you really have to be easy and spend the time to break them in properly.

My breaks have been great. Stop good and make no noise. But also I spent the first 500 miles breaking them in really easily with very few sudden stops. I think for your 05 sense it is pretty heavy you should upgrade the rotor and pad for the fronts and just put high quality pads on the back. You get what you pay for when it comes to break parts. Always go for the high quality pad it is better all around.
  • huerohuero Member Posts: 5
    well i dont know if this is something you want to here but i have 2005 sedona and i changed my brakes now 3 times my self not sure if that alot or not i dont know what i do know that probally is the easiest thing to change on there
  • fedupkiaownerfedupkiaowner Member Posts: 4
    They replace my front rotors at 9,000 miles. That was the last warranty service the dealer agreed to do. Since then I had to replace the front brakes and rotors at 27,000, and purchase new tires at the same time. Now the dealer won't service the car at all because we took it to another service provider when I couldn't get it in with them. The warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.
    Sounds like this is between you and your own Kia dealer. Normally rotors and pad are NEVER covered under warranty. In your case your are having problems but the vast majority are not. I understand you are unhappy with your van but please keep the sweeping ignorant statements down to a minimum. Nobody wants to hear some retarded comments that Kia's are bad because you have a crappy van & who knows how you drive it or what it has been through. The 2006+ was totally redesigned and is nothing like your 04.
  • johntilfordjohntilford Member Posts: 1
    We're about to get our fourth front brake repair at 36K miles and plan on taking the 2005 Sedona (we bought new) to Pep Boys. At least they are cheaper, and probably better, on turning/truing the rotors. I just hope there's enough metal left, the rotors on now have been turned/trued once already by the Kia dealer.

But enough of history - Does anyone have anything new on this issue? Like, recall news? Third party replacement rotors (maybe with better alloy metal) that cure the problem? (Lord knows, there's a market for such a product!) ANY magic cure that you could tell us about?

Please contact me with anything that works. Other than the brakes, we like the vehicle. John W. Tilford at johntilford@insightbb.com
  • jimjimjjimjimj Member Posts: 5
    Just wanted to add my two cents, as one poster has pointed out the 2006 model is lighter and completely redesigned; true, but at least mine has rotor issues too: only 12,800 miles, almost all highway (read, little braking, certainly not "hard") as we use it mainly only for family trips and not commuting, rotors were warped and had to be replaced. Was told would have been covered if under 12,000 miles or less than one year! Gotta wonder...

Anyone else with 2006, 2007 model also with rotor issues? Otherwise love the car, but Kia Minivans must have some rotor issue...
  • sh65sh65 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2005 Kia Sedona minivan brand new with 7 miles on it. Since I bought it I have had to have brake work done it at 6,000 miles, 24,000 miles, 35,000 miles, 47,000 miles and now I need it again at 59,000 miles. I have owned 12 cars in my life, including trucks and large full size conversion vans and have NEVER had problems with brakes like this. I have only been able to get the Kia dealership to pay for the first brake job. This falls under the catagory of a Lemon by definition. I have complained til I was blue in the face. I have been given every excuse in the book from its the way I drive (BS) to the fact that I live in the mtns(more BS) to a poor brake pad product (again, more BS). The fact remains, the van braking system is poorly designed and this issue should either be corrected for free or I should be allowed to trade to another vehicle. No vehicle should need 5 brake jobs in 59,000 miles. I drive on city roads, with hardly any stop and go traffic, and I dont go on gravel roads, I dont ride my brakes, and I dont go up any mountains on my way to and from work. I am sick of being accused of being a bad driver at the age of 43 with my 13th vehicle Ive owned. Its insulting. Now that I need more brakes at 59,000 miles, I am sure they are going to give me the runaround again at the dealership this week. I am considering contacting the media. Maybe they would do something with some media attention in their face. Because frankly, Im sick of it. No vehicle needs brakes every 10-12 thousand miles. :mad:
    I think what it boils down to is the size of the rotors / pads in relation to the weight of the vehicle. This is very true of the 05 and under models. Have you looked into getting an oversized rotor / pad kit? I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear but it is a problem in the 05 and under Kia Sedona. As far as the 06 goes I have not heard that this is a problem. I am getting close to 10,000 on my 06 and it is 99% city stop and go miles on my van. I live in Puerto Rico and very little highway miles; just not how you get around here. Stop and go and lots of little hills. I have had no problems with my brakes so far.

Clearly the equipment on your 05 is not cutting it and all I can think of is going with a larger rotor / pad setup. May be more expensive in the short term but if you like the van otherwise and wish to keep it then it will pay off in the long. Another option is go with a cross drilled rotor because they vent heat excellently, that is if excessive heat is warping the rotors which could be a good possibility. Sorry to hear about your troubles and good luck.
  • typer_801typer_801 Member Posts: 29
    For all those with brake warping problems, invest in better pads. That's the problem. Fairly common issue on many cars, leving uneven deposits of pad material on the rotors creating the pulsation in the brakes. Remedy is simply getting better, more aggressive brake pads. I know EBC offers Green Stuff pads for the models through 2005. I'd give those a shot. Don't even need to turn or replace rotors, simply replace the pads.

Here's more info from StopTech. - link title