Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Acura TL Type S

Comments

• ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Methinks that the MSRP he quoted referred to a "regular" TL without Navi.

Good question- wrong thread ;)
    Good luck in working a deal for the 07. I think for a few months the dealers are going to rape customers as much as they can on the 07's i.e. until all the 06's are gone and the new G35 not yet being released.

If you can wait a few months you will have alot more bargaining power. Good luck and let us know how it works out ;)
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    If you can wait a few months you will have alot more bargaining power. Good luck and let us know how it works out

Go in and negotiate in the week before Thanksgiving or the week just before Christmas. Should do OK.
  • starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    I doubt there will ever be much bargining power on a Type-S. With the limited stock in dealers...expect to pay MSRP.
    "Go E39!"

haha...dude...i think the e39 forum is that way ~~~~~~> ;)

Yeah, it probably would happen in Japan before Europe but what's the deal w/ SMG in BMW's?
    IMHO paying MSRP will last a few months and then dealers will start discounting them.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Yes, it's pretty much the same car as the 06... but I liked it alot... to the point that I've pretty much made up my mind.

I like the slight style changes on the outside and love the new switchblade style key.
    My 06 MDX was brand new in May.
    The keyfob already looks 4 yrs old, and the only key on the keyring is the ignition.
    The new style is a very welcomed improvement.

I'm waiting until Spring to purchase and will give a good look at the new 07 G35 first.

But, knowing the past issues with the Acura TL, and comparing those to the issues Infiniti has had... I'm very much leaning toward the TL.
    I think it offers a lot for the money, even in the Type-S model.
    I'm not crazy about the wheels, but it's not so much the style but the fact that they're painted.
    I don't like painted wheels, but that's just my opinion.
    The tires now protrude past the wheel's edge, so hopefully that helps to protect from scratches and scrapes.

The Moroccan Red Pearl on Black is very nice. :)
    scott,

did you get to drive it? if you do get the type-s, are you going to get auto or manual? maybe you can get the factory rims on the regular TL and sell the type-s rims or maybe trade the dealer and get the a-spec rims?
    Ya know.. they offered me MULTIPLE times to take it out, but for some reason I cannot explain, I chose not to.
    I did put the key in and fired it up... sounds nice without being boy-racish at all.
    Seems quiet until the gas is mashed.

I'm dead set on the manual.
    I really thought I wanted the Auto, but I drove a 06 Auto for 2 days and decided it lacks the control they claim to offer.
    This model I looked at last night was an auto.. so I passed on the test drive.
    They have a stick coming in this week, but it's already sold.
    My testdrive of a stick shift is scheduled for Dec 1.

I thought about the wheel options.
    I think I may go with the Type-S wheels and get a lesser set for winter tires to be mounted on. This will extend the appearance of the S wheels, I hope.
    I really try not to hit curbs, but they do seem to jump right out in front of you at times.

My sales guy said he had it out the other day on the highway, in the middle lane, doing 80.
    A BMW came up in the left lane who must have been doing over 100, so he said hit just floored it as the BMW was on it's left side....
    He said the car just let out a nice exhaust note and jumped to 120 like nothing.

I can't wait to drive one, should've last night.
    Still not sure why I didn't. :confuse:
    I have looked at a couple of 07 Type-S TLs in the past 2 weeks.
    Both had Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires on them
    The optional performance tire is the Bridgestone Potenza RE030.

I'm thinking about the Type-S in the Spring, and I'll be going with the Michelins.

Yes, the Bridgestone is a High-Perf rated tire, but it's not comparable to the Michelin when it comes to longevity, and only offers slightly better traction....on dry roads only.

Also, the Michelin is a more expensive tire.
    Why pay more for the lesser Bridgestone? :confuse:
    Why did a Mod move my above post to this forum, when it was clearly answering the question asked by "newcarman" in the TL forum?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Because newcarman was asking about "TL non type S" tires and you were talking about tires on the TL-S - weren't you, or did I misunderstand?
  • 07buyer07buyer Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know what invoice price is on an '07 Type S w/ automatic and Michelins? Thanks!
    No... You did understand correctly.
    "newcarman" posted in the wrong place, but he did ask a question and I just wanted to answer it.
    If he doesn't come to this forum, he won't see the answer of the question he asked in the forum he posted to.. that's all.

As for 07buyer's question, unfortunately, Invoice prices have not yet been posted by Acura.

Those should be out soon, but I'd plan on spending close to MSRP until Spring sometime anyway.
  • newcarmannewcarman Member Posts: 55
    Hey guy thank you for the response, yes i think i posted in the wrong forum but thanks anyways for the answer. What you claim is that the type S has michelins on them?? thanks.

Also what about the Wheels?? Do you think that i can get the same wheel from the Type S to the regular TL?

Would you say that the 07 Tl non Type S wheel is somewhat different than the 06?? looks like 2 spoke??

Thanks again
    The new wheels on the base TL look very similar to the optional 06 18" wheels (Style-not size)

I doubt you can get the Type-S wheels on the base TL... unless you're willing to pay for them.
    I haven't asked the cost cause I'm not interested in the base TL.... but if I was, I like the wheels it comes with.

I know the Type-S is $5,000 more, but after you consider the fact that Navi comes standard (assuming you want Navi), the
    Type-S is only $2,000 more and I personally feel it's worth it. It's also the only way to get the 6-Speed manual.
    The 06 A-Spec package cost more, and didn't offer any additional HP.

I'm liking the Type-S
    From a value perspective IF you can get the TL-S for around invoice in a couple of months (roughly 3k off of MSRP), I still think the car offers alot of value for the money.

My local dealer here in Tampa just got one in and if it is still available I want go drive it to gauge the differences between it and my 05.
  • starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    Most dealers around here want 2-3K above MSRP for a Type S. I advise to wait.
    That's ridiculous!!! Yes, definately WAIT. ;)
  • jay_hawkjay_hawk Member Posts: 10
    I just negotiated the TL-07 S to $1000 over invoice in the Chicago area. I made it clear I was almost indifferent between the infinity (g35), Lexus (IS250/350) and BMW 228i. I told him I was basically going to let price decide, and he came back with $1k over invoice (with options of molding, mats, wheel locks, splash guard was $36k).
    Could you tell us what the invoice is for the TL-S?? I can't find those numbers anywhere and I am sure others would like to know what it is well.
    With the navigation system, automatic, it was 34,450.
    I never actually saw the invoice, but was taking the salesperson at his word. I know several people that have bought from him, and have no reason to not believe him.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Jay Hawk: What Chicago dealer did you buy from?
    The one near golf and waukegan.
  • vroom5vroom5 Member Posts: 8
    Here's my review of the TLS, after buying it last week and driving it for a few days.....
    First, the driving experience:
    Handles very well. Feels very substantial....a bit heavy but solid. I'd challenge the RWD purists to take it on a test drive. I only really feel the FWD pull on sudden acceleration from very low speeds. Engine is powerful. Cabin is quiet. Transmission holds you back a bit...seems geared for a sport mode. I think my gas consumption is the same as my 98 Audi A6. I was hoping for better, as the Audi was AWD, but Acura is going for performance with the TLS, not fuel economy.
    Second, some design opinions:
    I really like the rims. But I think Acura should have offered 18 inch rims in the same style for a reasonably price option. I think the designers did a great job with almost all the other minor cosmetic changes. The smoked chrome looks great and blends with the rims, grill mesh, and everything else. Even the quad exhaust is darkened chrome. It, along with the wheels, gives a more understated appearance and lets you appreciate the sharp design of the car itself. I bought the silver/black two tone interior and think it looks much better than the Taupe. Again, it blends with the rest of the interior. The seats are one of the best things I like. They are firm, yet the leather is soft. They are better bolstered (slightly) than in the TL. And the stitching is sportier. I think the paddle shifters are cheap. They are flimsy plastic, not aluminum like in the BMW's. The big design flaw in my mind is the bulky mirrors. They look like they have bumps, or warts on them due to integrating blinkers (who cares about having blinkers in the mirrors?). I'd rather have sleeker, smaller, balanced looking mirrors.
    Third, a few comments that probably also apply to the 07 TL:
    I love the voice command capability. Using the bluetooth phone works great this way. I use the voice command for nav functions, audio changes, and climate changes....all without taking my hands off the wheels. The rear back up camera is a great enhancement over 06, not gimmicky. The XM radio is crap. No service at my house or my parking garage at work. The XM radio happened to play a song that I also had on my attached Ipod, so I could quickly compare. The Ipod sound quality was vastly superior, I think due to the new Dolby Pro Logic built into the 07's. Except for the radio, the audio is just fantastic. Acura should improve the MP3 interface by allowing you to turn on/off, shuffle songs, and view song titles and album art on the nav screen. Currently the only controls you have is volume and equalizer. Carpeting is OK, but of lower quality (not as dense as Audi). I wish the car had split seats and the BMW smart key start. The one touch start is nice, but it would be great to push a button while keeping the key in your pocket. I'm glad they at least went to a switchblade key, but its slightly bulkier than those from VW/Audi. Finally, I am a bit disappointed in the interior dash. Coming from an Audi, where the fit, finish, and design was first rate, the Acura dash, particularily to the right of the nav screeen, looks clumsy and a bit cheap. My wife thought the metal trim was plastic. Brushed aluminum would be better, or real wood. Acura needs to take a lesson from Audi and Lexus on interior design.
  • cadreamncadreamn Member Posts: 56
    Does anyone know if Acura plans to offer an A-SPEC package for the TL this year, or not since Type-S is out? I'm thinking this might be a way to get some more sportiness from a base TL without perhaps some of what may be less desired design elements, such as the Type-S wheels, pedals, etc.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I would think the Type-S and A-SPEC would have too much overlap for Acura to offer both.
    I have read that Acura will be offering an A-SPEC package for the TL-S w/ 19' wheels! I can't see why Acura would offer it for the TL-S and not the TL.
    Follow up----

I went to Acura.com and the front, side and rear underbody spoilers along with the A-SPEC rims are available. I did not see the suspension upgrade though.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "I have read that Acura will be offering an A-SPEC package for the TL-S w/ 19' wheels!"

I suspect you meant to say 19" not 19'. But either way, that is just plain nuts.

My former 2002 Honda S2000 with 16" wheels and tires outhandled a base Boxster with 17" wheels and a BMW M Roadster with 18" wheels. But one could remove the tires of a RWD BMW 335i and ride it on the rims and it would outhandle a FWD TL with 19" wheels.

Oh well, I guess Acura is now catering to the image over substance customer. Maybe I should get a set of 22" rims for our MDX. :confuse:
    WHY in the world did you buy a TL w/ a manual tranny?

I bought mine because it was a good blend of performance, luxury, technology and value- NOT because it would out handle or beat the 3er, IS, G and everything else under the sun on a track.

I stopped driving cars like it was stolen about 15 years ago. Whenever I see people drive like that the word "jackass" comes to mind because it's unsafe- bottom line.

The TL has plenty of "substance" and most people who buy the A-SPEC model want that "look" and 19" rims only further cater to those tastes.

If you want 22"s on your MDX- knock yourself out.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I bought my TL 6-speed for exactly the same reasons as you - good blend of performance, luxury, technology and value. And I'm very happy with it - for what it is.

So excuse me, but when I see Acura offering - and some people buying 19" wheels on a FWD family sedan - a similar word comes to mind for me. Or maybe more diplomatically, "sucker". The summer tires that came with my 6-speed lasted 17,000 miles with me driving it like a family sedan. That's less than I got out of my Honda S2000 (16") and probably less than I'll get out of our 911 (19"), although I still didn't/don't play Mario Andretti with either.

So if someone wants the "look" of 19" wheels on a TL, I'll agree that that's their perogative. I'd ask that you agree to show no sympathy when they post a complaint that they need new $300+ 30-series W-rated tires in 6,000 miles because of front plowing wear and other issues that Dr. Porsche or Enzo Ferrari wouldn't be able to overcome in a 62/38 weighted FWD family sedan.

The TL does indeed have a lot of "substance" and I apologize for my excessive criticism of their catering to the image demographic. But I know it's not an M5. And I'm too old to embarass myself trying to get it to "look" like one. Sometimes less is more, if you get my drift.
    "I'd ask that you agree to show no sympathy when they post a complaint that they need new $300+ 30-series W-rated tires in 6,000 miles because of front plowing wear and other issues that Dr. Porsche or Enzo Ferrari wouldn't be able to overcome in a 62/38 weighted FWD family sedan."

Agreed. I will speculate that those who choose to put 19" or greater size rims matched with low profile tires will definately be from a younger breed without having high expectations of extended tread wear.

"But I know it's not an M5. And I'm too old to embarass myself trying to get it to "look" like one."

Agreed.

"Sometimes less is more, if you get my drift."

Agreed as well but different strokes for different folks...
    I bought my TL-S on Tuesday. The car drives very well. I have driven a BMW since 1997, and taken 2 BMW's to the race track for a couple weekends of learning how to race (Road America in Wisconsin). There is no question in my mind that the TL-S handles just as well as the BMW's. I could barely tell it is FWD (unlike when I drive a Maxima). I am sure there are differences when going around a turn at 50 MPH, but for most of my driving now, the car is a fun ride, and handles as well as I will need. I am hoping to take it out on the track next summer and see how it performs there.

Only thing I would change is to make the call AWD or RWD (although RWD may not be good in Chicago). I like the navigation system, and how everything is integrated, and love the ride. I was really worried I was taking a step down from my previous car, but after a few days, don't worry about that anymore.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    "I bought my TL 6-speed for exactly the same reasons as you - good blend of performance, luxury, technology and value..."

Ahem. I believe that you forgot to mention the TL's fabulous exterior styling and handsomely functional interior! :D

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• vroom5vroom5 Member Posts: 8
    I love driving my new TLS, but after only a week with the car, I just noticed highly visible scrape marks on one of my wheels. I've been careful and don't recall hitting a curb. The rubber isn't even marked, but the smokey paint/finish on the wheels scraped off and it looks terrible. Anyone know how this can be repaired? Are these rims are coated with a paint or something else? Anyone else scrape their wheels?
  • pommipommi Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I'd like to hear from anyone having moved from an A4 to a TL-S, in particular about experiences going from AWD to FWD.
    Thanks.
    I knew those painted wheels would be an issue :mad:
    I hate painted wheels...
    I'd love to see anodized wheels, but painting them makes no sense at all.

Any idea if you can get touchup paint from Acura for the wheels?
  • rw66rw66 Member Posts: 1
    Initial impressions: Color is the Kinetic Blue. This color is nicer in person than pictures show. Would prefer a little darker though. I'm not a fan of the wheels, but, like the color, they are nicer in person than pictures show. Torque steer is not an issue - I think Acura is limiting the torque on take-off. This could cut into 0-60 times though. Speaking of which, here are my guesses... 0-60 in 5.6. 1/4 mile in 14.3. The car pulls more once it gets moving. A later test with my g-timer will confirm these numbers. One thing of note is the sound system. It is AWESOME. Listen to the sample DVD that comes with the car and you will be sold. Fit and finish is nice. Handling is good but they put these junk Michelins tires on stock (I was hoping for the Potenzas). Might swap those out soon. XM and NAV are of high quality and work better than most. That's all I can think of now. If you have specific questions, let me know!
    "Listen to the sample DVD that comes with the car and you will be sold."

Don't fall for that trick! My experience with my '04 TL is that the sampler DVD sounds better than almost any other DVD-A disc currently commercially available. :cry: I have a tough time detecting the sound quality difference between the DVD-A discs I've bought, and a regular CD (depending on the artist and songs).
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .....Ya know.. they offered me MULTIPLE times to take it out, but for some reason I cannot explain, I chose not to.

I'm dead set on the manual.
    My testdrive of a stick shift is scheduled for Dec 1.

My sales guy said he had it out the other day on the highway, in the middle lane, doing 80.
    A BMW came up in the left lane who must have been doing over 100, so he said hit just floored it as the BMW was on it's left side....
    He said the car just let out a nice exhaust note and jumped to 120 like nothing.

I can't wait to drive one, should've last night.
    Still not sure why I didn't.

....similar experience here, 123....(fine post, by the way)

When I mentioned the recent vtec.net review(including clutch improvement details) to the salesrep, he said his card has his e-mail...................so I linked him.

My test drive will follow yours.....really appreciate y'all posting some clutch feedback!!!

My current AV6 6M is a dandy car.....but that clutch!!!

best, ez..
  • gammachakagammachaka Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone happen to know if it is possible to get a standard white TL with the Taupe/Ebony interior? Took a look at an S-type, and really liked that--however, don't really care for the rest of the S-type add-ons.
  • pommipommi Member Posts: 7
    gammachaka,
    check with an Acura dealer for additional confirmation. According to acura.com and a 2007 TL brochure I have, TL's don't come with Taupe+Ebony, just either-or.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    One thing of note is the sound system. It is AWESOME. Listen to the sample DVD that comes with the car and you will be sold.

It was crystal clear, but it didn't have enough juice when the windows were down or the sunroof was open IMHO. I had a 2005 TL. I was assuming Acura was going to put the RDX's 410 watt unit in the TL. I guess they blundered and didn't do it. I hope your expereince with Acura, is better than mine. They make a great product, but had the worse service I ever got.

Rocky
  • ledwingledwing Member Posts: 31
    I have had the TL-S for almost a month now. I probably would have passed on the navi if i had a choice, and WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN. The voice activation stuff is beyond cool (short of my daugther hollering at it from the back seat), the back up cam is worth its weight too. Have been pretty conservative on driving it so far (400Miles), but cant wait to stab the gas. A couple of friends have the regular TL, and they just melt when side by side. The S has many more little trick and tools that are subtle: The little tail fin, better light array front and back, cool tubes for the exhaust, better info system, upgraded navi, daytime running lights, different headlights altogether. the paddle shifters (that i wont use much) have the regular TL guys in a tizzy too. There is a load of difference between these two cars, and if you can handle the look and cautions of the TL-S rims, spend the extra cabbage and make yourself happy. The around town gas mileage aint so hot, but if you nurse it on the highway the display says 30. on my 400 miles i am closer to 20 combined :shades:
    Oh yeah, i almost forgot to mention THE BIG FAT MOTOR in the TL-S over the standard also brings a few teardrops to the guys faces. Still have not seen one on the road, except some old timer was buying one just like mine at the same time. now whats an old guy like that doing with a cool car like the TL-S? Did they run out of RL's?
    Congrats on the S. What did you pay for it? Also, what color combo did you get? Finally, I am assuming you got the automatic since you mentioned the paddle shifters?
    36.8K, since it was a bit harder to get. Auto, reg tires, silver with the black seats and silver inserts. Have a friend looking at the 6sp, and i had that on my previous car. glad i have the auto tho. the dealer had both.
    "now whats an old guy like that doing with a cool car like the TL-S?"

He was probably buying it to impress his twenty-something girlfriend. ;)
    "better info system"

What's that?

"if you can handle the look and cautions of the TL-S rims"

Wonder if the dealer could swap the Type-S rims for the regular rims? I think they are the exact same specs.
This discussion has been closed.