Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

SUV gas mileage - Feel free to participate

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We could use a good bourbon after the pois pigeons! :-)

tidester, host
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Steve:

I'm guessing you always fill up your tank during the coldest part of the mornings too.

___Not really … The underground tanks hold the fuel at just about a constant temperature throughout the day or night so I go where it is usually the cheapest and a busy station so it is continually refreshed. My BP, Shell, and Speedway Credit Cards come in handy as I always save a few cents vs. retail and all 3 are within an easy driving distance (BP from home) or are the closest stations (Shell and Speedway) that I pass right by on my way home. At my work location, the BP and Shell are right next to one another so Shell gets the nod because its 5% rebate is better then BP’s 3% and these two stations are always the exact same price. When I need gas, I just fill her up ;-)

___A small tip to go with the above although I stretch this much of the time, I run from an absolutely full tank to an empty one. The time and multiple runs to the gas station add up over the life of the vehicle and refueling is about the worst gas use imaginable. If you can fill up later in the evening when no one is around, so be it. Coast into your fuel pump like a hybrid, fill up max and don’t come back until you really need it the next time around. Have I run out of fuel? Sure have. 5 tanks ago I was pushing the Ranger to find its maximum after Low Fuel Light and ran out not 3/4 mile from the Speedway. I was doing ~ 57 mph with a slight incline and decline afterwards. I made it to the Speedway as I pulled into the gas station at 8 mph. Jeeessshhh, that was close ;-) If you are far from home and do not know the area, don’t push your tanks like this as you might actually run out of fuel in a place you really don’t want to run out of fuel at if you know what I mean.

___All, do not forget the number one fuel saving technique for highway driving in my experience. Well besides the low kinematic viscosity oils, high pressure tires, slowing down, and drafting when and where possible. It is called ”Driving with Load”. What it does is locks the ICE to a load % instead of a particular speed. In a nutshell for those of you without a game gauge, as you approach an overpass at let’s say 55 mph, you lock your throttle angle with your right foot. What you will see is as you are climbing; your vehicle will be bleeding off speed (exchanging Kinetic for Potential). As you hit the crest, you are at a speed of lets say 51 mph. You maintain your throttle angle at the exact same spot and as you begin your descent, you will find by the time you hit the bottom, you are again back up at 55 mph. If you don’t use this technique, a hybrid w/ a game gauge shows at steady speed up, same speed at the crest, and same speed at the bottom a fuel cost up to a .2 to .3 mpg hit for each overpass as you traverse them over a 10 mile test run. The MDX and Insight have game gauges (Instantaneous graphed fuel consumption) as shown in the pic I linked on the last page. With one, you will do the same but instead of concentrating on locking up the throttle angle, you will lock in an instantaneous fuel consumption of let’s say 27.5 - 30 mpg in the case of the MDX. You want to maintain this fuel consumption as you come into the overpass, up the ascent, over the crest, and down the descent until back to 55 mph. It is a little more precise because you have actual fuel consumption for feedback to adjust to but locking in a throttle angle with your foot is still a pretty good estimate to maximize FE through rolling hills and overpasses. It won’t work up mountains of course because you have only so much kinetic energy to give up but for small rises and falls in the roadway, it will improve your FE by a healthy margin. Once the technique becomes second nature, you can actually tell by the sound and feel of the ICE as it begins its small labor during the climb and the ease after peaking the crest. This sound/feel will help you hone the DWL skill for a particular automobile almost to the point of one with a game gauge if you are really paying attention. The Corolla and Ranger lack game gauges and the technique works almost as well for them as it does with the Insight and MDX because of the feel rather then the Game Gauges real time feedback.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    xcel-

Can you use the RPM as a lock indicator, keep the RPM constant going up a hill?
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    good tips...

one of the most common goofs in FE I see is the idling of the engine for longer than 1 minute...even though the driver knows its going to be long. Of course, this may be necessary if one is in a very cold climate...or very hot....but we see people idling for long stretches everywhere...
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    ...in an SUV mpg topic? LOL!

;-)

Let's see...who's here? Oh no!

Hi tides, long time no see. Just dropping by...doesn't seem like too many SUV mpg metrics are being posted. Maybe they all get 40 mpg now ;-)
    Hey, LI_S! How's it going?

... doesn't seem like too many SUV mpg metrics are being posted.

It must be because oil's fallen back below $46/bbl! ;-)

tidester, host
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    16MPG City (I have a heavy foot)

24MPG Highway @ 70MPH
    must have no where to go...so comes over to flame this board ..... ;-)

You should stay a while, and check out how to save gas, instead of wasting it with lead foot driving.... ;)

YES , for many SUV owners, saving gas is one of their concerns too. Together with utility and other needs and conveniences....
    tried driving slow and pretend there's an egg between the accelerator and floor....

wife thought I saw a cop !? ;)

it's nice to see how smart driving can really extend gas usage.....
    Getting around 21.5 in town, still 26 highway @ 75 MPH.

I've been using some of the tips presented here; we'll see how it goes.
    Hi All:

___Don’t forget, it’s not just the egg between your right foot and the accelerator, it is imagining you are driving without brakes that really makes the difference. Your traffic awareness will increase 10 fold under this scenario and with it; your FE will improve immensely. You will begin paying attention to traffic and lights at least ¼ to ½ mile out and with that, your chances for maintaining momentum through a given traffic condition will increase. No one will ever hit 100% of course but if you can improve to 66% vs. your previous 30 - 40% or less, you will see your City FE in particular improve with each passing tank. This technique costs no time as you are still in place as you were before but you are moving as the traffic begins to move instead of sitting stopped and at idle waiting for the light/traffic in front of you to begin moving.

___Another tip … I am sure everyone has heard the football discussion that ½ the distance to the goal line again and again and again will never get you to the goal line right? Well when coming up to a red light with traffic backed up, you can always cut your speed by ½ of your current over ½ of the distance to the automobile in front before you have to stop. You can continue to cut your speed in this manner until the traffic begins to move. In most cases, you can maintain some momentum no matter how small as the light turns green and the car directly in front begins to move no matter how slowly. Acceleration is the biggest killer of ones FE and if you have a moving start no matter how small, it will save fuel in whatever you drive.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    I tried to do that today again....preserved momentum when the light was still red, and got there when it turned green...so less fuel used to bring the car up to speed...

will let you know how the mileage will be ...going down to LA for weekend..

have a great Christmas and Happy New Year..to all.
    Hi Stevedebi:

___Are your local speed limits actually 75 mph? That is going to hurt no matter what you are driving. Remember that the CRV’s highway EPA estimates are based on a top speed of 60 mph with an average of just 48 mph in fact. The following is a graphical representation of the EPA’s FTP 75 highway test cycle:

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    Uh, I plead the 5th Amendment when asked if the speed limits are actually 75. Of course I always obey the posted 65 MPH limit here in LA. However, the limits on the interstate are 75 in some areas of the southwest; 70 MPH here in California.

I have noticed that the mileage does increase at 60-65; I actually got over 30 MPG at those speeds once. But I consider going below the speed limit a bit dangerous, since people come up on your bumper.
    Hi Stevedebi:

___Do all the 18-wheelers in the LA area drive at 70 and 75 + as well? What happens when an automobile comes up on one of them?

___I posted this in a “FE has the future arrived …” thread here at Edmunds yesterday of my exact experiences on the Interstates in and around Chicago just 2 days ago. If you actually log what the safer professional drivers are doing, not many are driving 70 + mph. Some are as I have seen that thousands of times as well but not all by any means. This was also my experience in and around LA when I was driving through the California’s back in August of this year while visiting relatives, Yosemite, San Francisco, Vegas, Phoenix, etc.

___Here is a repost of just the details for your reading pleasure or displeasure depending :-D

Chicago traffic … A day in the life.

Hi All:

___A bit of detail as to why today’s vehicles FE has arrived and more professional’s are taking advantage of this fact as Gasoline and Diesel are produced from > $40.00/Bbl crude …

12:22/2004 ~ 01:15 - 02:30 PM:

#1 I-290 (Eisenhower Expressway) and I-294 (Tri-state Tollway) southbound on I-294 to I-55 (Stevenson) interchange. Speed limit Min 45/Max 55.

CSX Sea Van: Trailer #TSX2671594 - Tenn. Plate # V46027 49 - 54 mph over this ~ 15 miles.

#2 I-294 and I-55 (Stevenson) toll booth southbound on I-55 to weigh station before Weber Road. Speed limit Min 45/Max 55.

Swift Tractor/Trailer rig: Trailer # 533038 - OK. Plate # 350-3DG 50 - 58 mph over this ~ 15 miles.

#3: I-55 weigh station southbound to I-80. Speed Limit Min 45/Max 65.

Metropolitan Trucking Inc.: Trailer # N/A - Tenn. Plate #Z10590 51 - 57 mph over this ~ 10 miles.

#3 and ½: I-55 at Rt. 52. Speed Limit Min 45/Max 65.

U-Haul converted to private called Road Runner Moving: Trailer #: NA - IL. Plate # 5322 F. 48 mph. To bad I wasn’t in the Insight ;-) Passed to pace #3 above.

#4: I-55 and I-80 southbound on I-55 to Des Plaines River Bridge. Speed limit Min 45/Max 65.

Werner Trucking: Trailer # 30686 – Nebraska Plate # 141743. 57 – 61 mph over this ~ 2 miles.

#5: I-55 and 2 miles past Des Plaines River Bridge to Exit 233 (Reed Road) southbound. Speed limit Min 45/Max 65.

7-Up Logo’ed Tractor Trailer # 248062 – Tenn. Plate # T446407. 58 – 62 mph over this ~ 10 miles.

___We can all drive whatever we feel comfortable at and I would not ask that this right be taken away from anyone but there are speed limits and making excuses that no one else is following them is not exactly entirely the exact truth in my experience.

___For those that want to improve their FE, why not just for a change drive in the right hand lanes of whatever interstate, State Route, local two lane, etc. that you happen to traverse on a daily or occasiaonl basis. I am sure you will come upon automobiles and tractor trailer rigs actually following the speed limits and with that, it is only your decision to get somewhere a few minutes faster or save Fuel, output less emissions, lower your automobiles wear and tear, save $’s at the pump, have less chance of a higher speed collision, lower your actual distance traveled with similar perception and reaction times let alone the actual braking distances of a higher speed event in case of accident avoidance or heaven forbid an accident if you were ever involved in one … etc.

PS: Steve, I know you always follow the speed limits and so do I. Wink - Wink ;-)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • ford_ownerford_owner Member Posts: 23
    Ipreviously owned a 2003 ford expedition with a 5.4 engine. i averaged about 14 MPG in town and 18 on the highway. i just purchased my second ford expedition a 2004 eb expedition with the smaller engine. my mileage has improved. i now get 16.5 -17 in town, and 19.5 to 21 on the highway. The way i drive is i accelerate to cruising speed very slowly. When going up hills i back off slightly from RPM's this slows my speed down, but i save gas, I try to keep the Tach under 2000 Rpm's usually around 1800 or so, and i dont back off to much when going down hill, but slightly, do not acclerate going down hill, you take advantage of the Energy of the weight of the vehicle on downgrades.One other tip-in city driving dont do jack rabbit starts, most of the idiots i see doing this i usually catch up to them at the next traffic light side by side, they actually sit their and idle with foot on brake longer than i, because of their jack rabbit starts. remember slow acceleration and start decelerating long before you get to the place where you are stopping. Also keep the tires properly inflated. Beleive it or not how insignificant it may be, but keeping a vehicle clean reduces what they call parasitic drag. you can actually inprove mileage by having a clean and waxed vehicle. also a combo of snythetic and regular oil. ford states a 5w 20 this gives the best mileage. I do all these things and over a years time , have added bucks into my pocket. hope this helps
  • hkjcrvhkjcrv Member Posts: 84
    2004 Honda CRV EX Auto, purchased in July, 7000 miles

Just had my first tank of gas that fell below 20 mpg. I was getting sick to my stomach when it was falling below 22 mpg, and now I'm at 19 mpg. I'm astounded... this cold weather is KILLING me. It is going to be one hell of a winter if I keep getting mileage like this. This sucks.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    hkjcrv... look at it this way, how many miles do you drive? could be insignfigant. try a higher grade gas. might work out a bit better. i get better 'mileage', so it doesn't hurt as much. costs more, though. overall, it's better than walking. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • hkjcrvhkjcrv Member Posts: 84
    It's pretty significant. I used to be able to get 300 miles out of a tank of gas and now I usually get between 230 and 250... definitely a significant drop off. I was getting away with filling my gas tank every 12 to 14 days and now it's more like every 6 to 9. Sucks.
    Hi xcel:

It was pretty good reading your posts over in the ""the future of fuel efficient vehicles, have you missed it"" forum . I saw that one poster tried to tell you that it is the vehicle, not the driver...

I have been having similar discussions with this poster about the many factors in fuel efficiency...including the driver factor, which IMO is a very important component in conserving fuel...as well as in safety. Also, you have proven what most of us know....that driving style affects fuel economy...and thus it is on topic for the people who think they can buy a small car and drive like its the INDY 500 and still get good gas mileage....that always cracks me up...LOL.....

Size of vehicle also matters....but it is not the only factor in fuel efficiency. It is possible to get relatively good gas mileage in larger vehicles.

I just got back from LA....and tried some of the techniques....I got 20 mpg for the cayenne , going about 60 mph for over 60 miles...with a full load, some drafting, and using lots of electricity.

thanks...and a Happy New Year to all !!

guess for some people it will always be the vehicle ..... ;-)
  • brihambriham Member Posts: 33
    Ours gets about 18 city 22/23 highway depending on how hard it is being pushed. With a 15 gallon tank and a low fuel light that pops on at 13 gallons the cruising range is awful. PUT A BIGGER GAS TANK IN IT!

We have a Pacifica that is a hog in the city, 15 mpg but does 21.5 highway. With a 23 gallon tank the cruising range is fantastic. The Pacifica is a joy to drive on the highway, I really love that rig on a long trip.

Here is a piece on improving fuel mileage

How to improve gas mileage:

http://www.automedia.com/autoCare/ccr20040801mt/ccr20040801mt.asp- ?affid=
    i'm sure the physical size of each vehicle has something to do with the gas tank size.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    If you are driving 345 miles (23mpg x 15 gallons)without stopping to use the bathroom/eat (that is about 6 hours when you are traveling at 60mph)then you are pretty tough :)

I guess I like to stop every 4-5 hours to stretch, get a drink, and fuel up :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I like to have range so I can go for more than 7 days between fill ups.

Also, it allows you to get gas for lower prices when you have more time to perhaps get to an area where gas is cheaper.

I'm not talking about going out of your way to get gas, but instead you could just fill up whenever you are below half tank, and still have useful range.

So more range is good.

Foresters are pretty good, 15.9 gallons and 30mpg highway, so 477 miles. But that's only if you use those last two gallons that noone likes to use up.

-juice
    cayenne has 26 gal x 17 mpg = 442 mile range...

but we stop every 2-3 hours to stretch and munch.....

suburban has 44 gal x 16 mpg = 704 mile range

all assuming you are driving to maximize mpg....

spirited driving ( and speeds greater than 65 mph) causes fuel economy to decrease. :-(
    dc... a couple things, the escape is my wife's vehicle, so i seldom drive it. furthest trip for me was 75 miles one way. we usually take my explorer, which on a long trip gets about 19 mpg and has a 22.5 gallon tank. that being said, i don't like to stop unless i aboslutely have to.

you might have to wait 350 miles :)

highender... i would love to have a vehicle that had a 700 miles range. less stops at the gas station, get to work on your tan while filling it up!
    Hiya explorer :

How goes it ? Suffering any IDLSUVWDY withdrawal ? ;-) I did...kinda miss those friends...er...guys....ahem.

LOL....yes, it does take that long to fill up.

When I am in line at the pumps, I choose the lines with the vehicles with the smallest tanks....like geo metros, etc....

Waiting behind a suburban, or worse, a motorhome, could be cause for mail forwarding . :-)
    highender... good to hear from you. a 44 gallon tank! how about filling halfway up, then pull back around back in line so the geo can put their 10 gallons in, and fill up the rest of the way after that?

maybe we need to start a new thread; 'idaccttwdy?'

"i drive a crew cab tanker truck, why don't you?" :)

staying 'ot'; drove the escape in the snow for the first time. used the locked mode from stops. worked pretty well(no tire spin). will have to wait to see the effect on mileage.
    maybe we need to start a new thread; 'idaccttwdy?'

Don't tempt him! :-)

tidester, host
    we just fill it close to half normally, since no need to haul all that weight around....

filled up to top on longer trips...

Hmmm...start another thread , eh ???
    LOL...

hey tides...I wouldn't do that to ya.... :-)

how about

ILKK WDY ?

heard that KKs were inflating their sales figures, and stocks been going down....er...we have to start another thread to keep KK sales up... :-)

got 20 mpg on the cayenne on a straightaway...flat land...going 60 with no others in car...
    got 20 mpg on the cayenne on a straightaway...flat land...going 60 with no others in car...

You must have had a pretty stiff tailwind! ;-)

Re: KK - inflating sales figures seems to be SOP these days!

tidester, host
    44 gallons, yowsah! At least you don't have to do it that often.

What does gas weigh? About 7 lbs per gallon? If so that would be 308 lbs, like having 2 female passengers with you at all times.

-juice
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Well water is 8.3 lb/gal. Gasolines specific gravity is 0.739 lb/gal, so that puts it at about 6.2 lb/gal.

And you implication that it is less efficient to keep your gas tank full is correct. The vehicle's heavier hurting mpg, and the brakes, suspension, and tires are all working harder.

Unless you're going to drive 50+ miles, you should probably keep your tank at 1/4 full. But then the gas stations would be crazy.
    I hear ya. At least the weight is sprung.

-juice
    hi tides... don't worry. one of my resolutions for '05 is be a kinder, gentler machine gun hand(to paraphase a song).

btw, how do you decide who presides over these discussions? also, do you ever trade them(i'll give an active suv thread for a hybrid and a forrester thread)?
    Hi, Explorer!

btw, how do you decide who presides over these discussions? also, do you ever trade them(i'll give an active suv thread for a hybrid and a forrester thread)?

These are user led discussions so no one presides over them but if you're asking how hosting assignments are made it's just by category so, e.g. Steve and I get all the SUV discussions. But swapping is an intriguing idea! :-)

tidester, host
    tides... i should have written 'hosting' instead of 'presiding over'. guess it's not like where i work; when things are going bad they get changed around. when things are going well they get changed around. :)
  • phillyfrontierphillyfrontier Member Posts: 17
    If you live in the North, then October is about the time they change the gas formulation for emissions. It doesn't make sense to have a cleaner burning fuel that reduces efficiency, but then again its the government. I live in Philly PA and my mpg always is 2-4mpg less Oct-May then in the summer.
    Is this the reason (changing gas formulation during cold months) that people complain about getting worse gas mileage in the Winter? I have heard this complaint, but grew up in Florida and never understood it. Now that I live in DC, I am interested in learning more about this. Could somebody explain why and how they do this?

Thanks!
    I always assumed this this was just the engine trying to idle higher to get the engine warmer (at startup) thus burning slightly more fuel. I also would think that people have their defroster/heater on thus consuming more electricity/fuel.. But 2-4mpg lower seems more than just slightly to me...
  • crimdoccrimdoc Member Posts: 36
    I just bought a brand new 2005 CRV LX ... I'm getting about 20-21MPG from mostly highway driving.

This is far short of the EPA 29MPG highway, but then again I drive about 75-80MPH, live in Michigan, and the car only has 1200 miles or so on it (still well within the break in period).

I take it then, that I shouldn't panic about the low fuel economy?
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The CR-V is actually fairly aerodynamic for an SUV, but it still has a large frontal surface area. Estimates from a while back claimed that about half of the fuel used by a car when driving above 50 mph is used to overcome wind resistance.

Speed really does matter.
  • kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    Is your poor mileage connected with your Pulling To The Right (PTTR) problem?

While I agree with varmint that speed really does matter, I believe that you have a problem.

(I hope that your problem is NOT connected with your right foot :-) ).

("Right Foot Problem" - (RFP) defined as a condition when the driver can't help himself and push on the gas pedal :-) ).

At no time had I such poor mileage - not during breaking period, not when I was speeding on highway (I usually don't), not in a cold weather, not even in heavy traffic!

BTW, tire pressure is very important too.

I keep my tires @ 34 psi, I have CR-V EX 2003, my highway mileage is about 28m/Gal + .
    Kizhe,

I don't know if it's connected ... I doubt it, but anything is possible.

The tires are at the recommended 30PSI ... I can bump it up to 34 and see what happens.

I drive pretty smoothly (not a lot of rapid starts and stops) ... but I do confess to typically driving about 10 MPH over the speed limit.

We'll see if things improve as the vehicle breaks in.
  • kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    If your driving style is pretty smooth, as you described, then you have a problem, I believe .

Your poor mileage and Pulling to the Right problem might be connected. Point that out to your dealer and be persistent. Keep us posted.

Good Luck!
    Speed does matter, my wife typically gets +2mpg compared to me, even on the same trip. She only goes 55 or so while I'm pushing 70.

-juice
    i can't blame you just keeping up with the other traffic. isn't the speed limit on I-94 75mph?
    I agree that many freeways have a 75 mph speed limit...meaning many are going at least that fast....and some are going 80 plus...

Higher speeds causes more usage of fuel, no matter what vehicle...

even no-SUVs....

;-)
    I'm really curious what type of real world numbers small SUV drivers are getting in the "great white north" (Michigan in my case).

I've heard some conflicting advice whether the 20MPG out of my 2005 CRV is something to worry about (its rated at 23c/29h).

I'd be interested in numbers from anyone driving an Escape, Santa Fe, Rav 4, etc.
This discussion has been closed.