Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Acura TL Type S

Comments

• louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    News: Acura brings TL Type-S back for 2007 - Car News
    After a three-year hiatus, the TL Type-S is back with even more power.
    BY JARED GALL, August 2006

For 2007, the Acura TL line will sprout a Type-S boasting a more powerful engine and a sport-tuned suspension. According to The Boston Globe, power output grows to 286, a gain of 28 hp, and torque rises 23 lb-ft. to 256. Previously, Acura offered a TL A-spec handling and appearance package, although it offered no bump in power. While the A-spec was a dealer-installed kit, the Type-S is a factory-produced regular model.

Of course, a sportier car has always entailed more than under-hood muscle to Acura, and this latest Type-S is no different. Suspension firms up all around and gets capped with Type-S specific wheels. Astute observers will notice the Type-S wears a mesh grille, a subtle spoiler, and quadruple exhaust outlets. Others will be clued in by the more obvious Type-S badging.

Inside, the Type-S invites shenanigans with sporty bucket seats boasting hearty bolstering, stainless steel pedals, and carbon fiber trim. A five-speed automatic will be standard on the Type-S. Thankfully, a six-speed manual also will be available. Pricing on the new Type-S should begin around $39,000.

link title

Pricing on the new Type-S should begin around $39,000.

Does that mean the $39K is WITHOUT Navi? I seriously hope that C&D is wrong on this, otherwise that'll be the stupidest move ever made by Acura.
    And here's more...

For more pictures here's the link...

Complete 2007 TL-S Pictures
  • ohmrwilson13ohmrwilson13 Member Posts: 2
    Even with $35K out the door price the TL-S is right at the 3er/IS/G price range.

Are you kidding me? The G and TL should be considered in the same price range, and the 3 and IS in another. The G currently goes for about 3-5K off MSRP, and even better deals can be had because the 07 model will be out in November. A nicely optioned G sedan with nav & prem can be had for $33K-34K. I know this because I was at the Infiniti dealer last week. if you don't believe this, check the TMV pricing on edmunds yourself. The IS350 is about 39-40K with the same options, though with the technology package, it goes over 41K. Again...was cross shopping last weekend. There are hardly any discounts on the IS, and the same goes for the 3er. Acura needs to make sure the pricing is competitive otherwise they will be a lame duck with the new G rolling out (306hp and everything else we know about).
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Thanks for the pics/link. I enjoyed them. The TL-S looks great! Happy to see that Acura moved their fog lights, updated the interior w/ a better looking instrument panel and steering wheel, cleared out tailights, lane change indicator lights on the side view mirrors, updated leather seating surfaces, mean looking dual exhaust and IMHO I like the sport look of the wheels, They look like they will hide brake dust pretty good. All in all, it's everything I expected and it's what Acura needed.I look forward to the re-design with AWD.
    When the new G comes out this November its price will be right up there with the IS and 3er.
  • booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    I like the sport look of the wheels, They look like they will hide brake dust pretty good.

Maybe. But try cleaning those wheels. 10 prongs. Thats 20 sides to clean. Ouch.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    yep, auto designers rarely think past how the car looks "show room new". Once it gets dirty and needs a bath, wheels like this become a royal pain to clean!
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Acura should offer the new 3.8l v6 in the type-s. i'm sure at least 50 more horses will be there. 30 more than the 3.5l v6.

-Cj :shades:
    Answer: The rims!!!

Judge it yourself...

The side mirrors with signals. The Acura name and the A insignia. Not much else.

-Cj :shades:
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Careful with that extra HP talk. You'll stir up the FWD/torque steer dissidents.

Plus - who needs 350hp in a family sedan?
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    ummmm, the ELS in the RDX is a 410 watt system, unlike the wimpy 200 something watt ELS in the TL. :sick:

Rocky
    I need more than 350 hp. in my family sedan. ;)

Rocky
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I need more than 350 hp. in my family sedan. :)

350? I need at least 360!
    LOL. I was only kidding. I think the 335i engine will be enough for me if I decide to go that route. ;)

Rocky
  • bman33bman33 Member Posts: 85
    Does the standard TL offer a LSD? I didn't notice the addition of one on the type S, so I'm hoping that the standard TL already included one.
    LOL. I was only kidding. I think the 335i engine will be enough for me if I decide to go that route.

I was too, I have a 166 hp Accord!

The BMW 335 engine is only available on the coupe, isn't it? The 325i has 215hp, the 330i has 255 hp, only the coupe I believe comes with the 300+ horsepower twin-turbo Inline-6. I could be wrong though
    There will be a 335i sedan to for 07 MY.

BMW is dropping the 330i and 325i and replacing them with 335i and 328i for both coupe and sedan.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Rims on 07 TL-S are awful. Style like that maybe would work on the discontinued Pontiac Aztek. At least everything would be harmonious - all ugly.

Anybody buying the 07 TL-S will be looking at TireRack web site for replacements or will try to work something out with dealer for good looking rims.

Best rims are 5-spoke that came standard with ordinary 04-06 TLs. They complimented the body lines.

Looks like Acura/Honda will do what so many other mfrs do to try and "update" an acclaimed excellent design (04-06 TL) - they screw it up. Could the Mona Lisa be updated and improved.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "Does that mean the $39K is WITHOUT Navi? I seriously hope that C&D is wrong on this, otherwise that'll be the stupidest move ever made by Acura."

Yeah, if the 39K price is without NAV, I think they've got a problem. But what I'm reading elsewhere suggests C&D is mistaken about that.
    BMW is dropping the 330i and 325i and replacing them with 335i and 328i for both coupe and sedan.

Ahh, didn't know that. Thanks for updating me! :)
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "Best rims are 5-spoke that came standard with ordinary 04-06 TLs." Agreed!
    "Looks like Acura/Honda will do what so many other mfrs do to try and "update" an acclaimed excellent design (04-06 TL)" Agreed x 2!! The original design was so good, so perfect, right out of the box that any tweaking will only screw it up!

You took the words right out of my mouth on both counts! :shades:
    I nominate the Rl and Bmw 5 as the vehicles with the best headlamps in the Midsize car class and the Scion tC in the compact coupes. I was hoping acura applied the Rls headlamps to the Tl-s but i guess that will wait until 2009. :(

-Cj :cry:
    Thanx pal for taking the question and answering it while I was gone. :) Yes the 335i will also be a bad to the bone Sedan. ;)

Rocky :shades:
  • bearvpbearvp Member Posts: 10
    I'm sure there will be options on the rims. They probably wanted the photo-op to be with the new rims but I am sure the old styles will be available too. I honestly don't see the point in buying a Type-S unless they made it with AWD or RWD. More horses on a FWD doesn't mean as much as it would on a AWD/RWD. And anyways, the only Type-S I would get would be on the RSX if I was into the little ricer cars.

The base TL has enough power for anyone and until the AWD version comes out who needs the extra horses?
    I would definitely get Accord Type-S if I am in Japan or Europe. RSX-S looks good to me too, although a little bit too ricey for my taste.
    Yes the 335i will also be a bad to the bone Sedan.

Bad as in styling. 3 series grilles are OK because of traditional face, but rest of car (side and rear) could easily be mistaken for some kind of Asian import like Kia, Mitsu, Hyundai, Suzuki. In fact when I see the back end of current 3 series in traffic, have to look hard to realize that it is a 3 and not a cheapo compact. Actually, I think that EPA categorizes 3 series as a compact car.

Acura TL (04-07) has BMW 3 beat on styling from all angles. Not even close. 3 series styling should be compared to compacts from Asia.
    3 series suffers from a puckered rear, and profile, especially around C pillar, always reminds me of Civic sedan about 3 generations back. :cry:
  • bman33bman33 Member Posts: 85
    "More horses on a FWD doesn't mean as much as it would on a AWD/RWD."

I disagree. 30 more horsepower makes a huge difference, regardless of the drive wheels. More importantly, the torque increase on the TL-S is huge. When I test drove the base TL, the lowend torque was weak compared to the Infiniti G35. This increase makes it much more competitive.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the RSX Type S is derisively categorized by bearvp as a "little ricer car", but the TL is OK? I didn't think anyone driving around in or considering a TL would be so snobbish - or zenophobic - but nothing surprises me nowadays. :confuse:
    Every Honda/Acura with "Type-S" emblem on it looks ricer to me. :P
    Every Honda/Acura with "Type-S" emblem on it looks ricer to me.

Um, that means the RSX Type-S looks like a ricer... There are no other Type-S vehicles currently on sale. The older "Type-S" CL and TL really don't look different, other than slightly different wheel designs.
    LOL, true. Let me rephrase it...

Every Honda/Acura with "Type-S" emblem on it FEELS ricer to me.
    Every Honda/Acura with "Type-S" emblem on it FEELS ricer to me.

I'm not trying to find fault with ya, I promise, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by it "feels" ricer... Are you referring to how it drives? Again, I'm not trying to be a pest, I promise!!! ;)
  • jmcmbzjmcmbz Member Posts: 43
    That's wierd, and I always thought the TL copied the styling of the previous E46 BMW. I'm not saying it's not a nice looking vehicle (I happen love Honda's) but check out that side profile shot with the character line. Total E46 copy. :D

I don't like the E90 rear styling as much as the E46 but if you can envision the white area as blending in the rear (esp. on light colors) the shape of the tail lamps are similar to the old style E46.

The new 335i coupe is particularly stunning while not breaking major new ground like the E60 5-series. Speaking of, Toyota may has well have just hired Bangle instead of ripping him off! New generation BMW styling is showing up everywhere especially Toyota, whereas Acura still copies the old Bimmers. Ha! :)
    Oh yeah, no worries...

When I say feel it's just the general feeling. Like whenever I hear something something "Type-S" or something something "Type-R" the first thing pops in my mind is...ricer.

I know it's weird. :D
    Ok, I gotcha now... I was completely mistunderstanding what you were trying to say... the fault of trying to converse via-internet I guess. You mean the 'moniker' of Type-S feels ricer. I understand. Like if it was a "TL Sport" it would be nicer; not necessarily referring to the car itself. Sorry I misunderstood!

And no, it's really not wierd. I personally dislike the fact that many carmakers took away names for cars (I think it sounds cooler to drive an Acura Legend or Vigor than a TL or TSX). I'm weird too!
    I wish Acura could come up with something else to resemble its top of the line TL. I like TL Sport way better than TL Type-S.

Suggestions anyone?
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    See, now I just don't get that. The same character line on the E46 also appears on the 1996 Civic. In fact, I think the E46 has more in common with the old Civics than it does with the TL. (I'm not saying they look like one another, they just have more common details/shapes.)

Depending on which end you're looking at, I see more common design cues between the TL and a few of Alfa's cars than any BMW.
    I personally don't see any resemblance of E46 in the TL.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    >

Well, maybe, but I am looking forward to the auto mag tests of this baby. With more HP/torque, I think "torque steer" is likely to be a problem with this front driver. While the TL is (and has been) and very nice car, I doubt that it will be a serious contender for enthusiasts in this market space who will also be looking at the new G and the 335.
  • gonein60secgonein60sec Member Posts: 56
    Was at a local Acura dealer this weekend and the saleman was showing me a brochure with the colors for the 2007 Acura TLs. In the brochure, it mentions Sports Edition, which I presume to mean the Type-S, will have the option for a two-tone Ebony/Silver interior.
    Was at a local Acura dealer this weekend and the saleman was showing me a brochure with the colors for the 2007 Acura TLs.

When will the 07's be in dealer lots/showrooms? Any word on MSRP's?
  • gonein60secgonein60sec Member Posts: 56
    No definative word on when 07's will be in the showrooms. Word is production of 06's will continue until mid-Sept. Couple of dealers mentioned late October early November before 07 TL's hit the show room. No word on MSRP, but destination charge has already gone up from $615 to $670 for all TL's after August 15, 2006.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Hey all,

Acura.com now has TL-S on its website.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Now that I can see it on the Acura site... I'm kinda liking it.
    I'm still leaning toward the IS350/G35x options, but I will certainly give this a nice beat run before deciding!

Acura definitely did a great job making it look great on their site, and I like the new blue :D
    My prediction is the TL-S will not sell well. The modifications, IMO, are too insignificant to justify the additional cost. And it looks too boy-racerish. The power boost is significant, but as far as I can tell, not too many current TL owners wished for more power (unless it came with RWD or AWD).
    You said it well....Only a diehard Acura enthusiast will find this new car a must have. ;)

Rocky
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "My prediction is the TL-S will not sell well. The modifications, IMO, are too insignificant to justify the additional cost. And it looks too boy-racerish. The power boost is significant, but as far as I can tell, not too many current TL owners wished for more power (unless it came with RWD or AWD)."

I'll take your side of that bet, as well.
    My prediction is the TL-S will not sell well. The modifications, IMO, are too insignificant to justify the additional cost. And it looks too boy-racerish.

I agree. The large photo of it at acura.com makes it look un-glamorous. The grotesque wheels are especially highlighted in the photo. Hopefully, Acura/Honda did not screw up the basic 07 TL. I think that TL buyers have good taste and appreciation of fine design are drawn to the elegance of the basic 04-06 TL. They will judge the 07 Type S to be garish. Think that BMW handles styling of their M's much better than will be Acura Type S. However (IMO), Acura TL still outclasses 3 series in overall styling. The 3 series has too much of the look of compact sedans from Korea or Japan.
  • dacurrymandacurryman Member Posts: 1
    "Looks to me the intended target for the TL-S are 20-30 year-old man with around $90K income. I know there are some of those out there but the problem is how many of them are going to buy a FWD car at around $40K."

I am exactly in that demographic and I would consider paying $40k for the TL, but ONLY if it had the SH-AWD. I wouldnt consider it for that price just for the hp...def not as a FWD car.
This discussion has been closed.