Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Acura TL Type S

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I've always felt that FWD should get you thru 85% of the situation you may encounter in an urban setting, even though you may have to exercise some skill and caution. When the white stuff starts piling up, ground clearance, rather than FWD traction, may be the limiting factor.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,674
    Agreed re: FWD & ground clearance and the "snow plow" effect. But, not in the case of the TL. I'm no stranger to driving in the snow (as I'm sure you're not either!) as a life-long New Englander and skier. It was the tires, a combo of size, tread and compound probably.

As I said, I always got there on the Turanzas, just with a little more TLC. If I can just get up my driveway with no drama, the Versados will be declared a winner!

I've always driven FWD w/all seasons (without incident, knock wood) so as not to have to purchase/store/rotate snow tires. Lazy and less efficient, well yes. What can I say. But again, no issues.

I am considering a RWD for my next ride, so I will be going the snow tire/separate rims route if I do so. I've just too often seen RWD cars not being able to get there from heah, when my FWD indeed could.

Not quite ready for snow, yet... Hang on, summer!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• pv2pv2 Member Posts: 37
    Have my 07 TL-S since late Dec. '06 and only had small snowfalls of 2-3" in Jan-Mar and drove with no problem. Also had an '03 CL-S previously and drove in snow with no problem. HOwever, if the roads haven't been plowed and it's 6" or more I'd take my wife's Durango. Also had a 2000 BMW 328 coupe but after a scary ride in snow, I got a set of winter tires/rims.
    Jack
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    My 2004 TL 6-speed, with the "high performance" tire package (Bridgestone W rated Potenza's) sucked in the snow. Replacing with a better rated perfomance tire has helped, but it still doesn't handle snow with the confidence of my old 1995 Nissan Maxima. I don't know for a fact, but I would assume the 2007 TL-S tires are likely to be a summer compound, as well, at least with the 6-speed version.

I don't know how much winter driving through the snow you are planning on doing, but an extra set of winter wheels and tires may be adviseable if you expect to encounter 4+ months of snow conditions.
  • duckmantlsduckmantls Member Posts: 1
    Do the 6-speed. Let me repeat - 6-SPEED. It took me about a day to get used to the shifter after having driven an automatic for the last 8 years (I too am 35, kids, etc). I tell you, I wouldn't change a thing in this car. I even like the torque steer. Makes the car feel alive.
  • willis3willis3 Member Posts: 76
    I concur!
  • fulerwegfulerweg Member Posts: 1
    Please help!!

I leased a 2007 TL Type-S at the beginning of September and have less than 1,000 miles so far. Unfortunately, about 2 weeks and 300 miles after I got it I noticed gas was pouring out from under the car on day. I had the car towed and the dealership said there was a cut in the high pressure fuel line. They didn't know the cause but replaced the line (or so I am told).

Now I go to get in the car yesterday and after starting it up my wife tells me gas is pouring out again. I turn off the car, pull my son out and call Acura TLC to have the car towed again! :mad:

At this point I refuse to take back the car. This isn't some silly rattle or door closing problem it is a death risk! Questions for those out there...

1) Have any of you heard of this issue (I assume it is simply a manufacturing flaw...hopefully limited to a couple cars)?

2) Any advice on what to do? One cigarette butt from a neighboring car tossed out the window at a red light and I am dead. I don't know how the lemon laws apply, but I sure as heck am not about to give them a couple more tries with the fear that the next time I don't catch the leak in my driveway. (I just finished the first month of a 36mo lease)

I love Acura/Honda, I have a MDX and my previous car was a 2004 TL (and before that an Accord). This event makes me want to run for the hills. Thoughts?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Well a cigarette but won't actually ignite gas. You can throw a lit cigarette right into a pool of gasoline and it probably won't ignite.

That is besides the point though as this is still dangerous. Call up Acura's customer care center or whatever they call it. Tell the person who answers the phone the story and when they try to down play it ask for the highest level person available at the time. Tell them what happened and just keep telling them. We had this happen to a LR3 several years ago and the guy called the fire department to his house. One or two calls to Land Rover and they took the car back very quickly.
    Unfortunately, about 2 weeks and 300 miles after I got it I noticed gas was pouring out from under the car on day.

Define "pouring". I once had a cut/break in my fuel line and it only dripped. And, if I'm not mistaken, the fuel pump had some sort of automatic shutoff in the event a leak was detected.

It sounds to me like your dealer blew the original diagnosis and/or did a poor job of fixing it. But I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet. If there is a visible leak that is "puring" gas, it should be pretty easy for them to fix or replace the fuel line system completely.
    "You can throw a lit cigarette right into a pool of gasoline and it probably won't ignite."

Really??! :confuse:

So I should be able to safely ignore all those signs at the gas stations and light one up while I'm re-fueling?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, if you decide to do that, hope you can will let us know how it works out.
    lol....no, I don't think I will try that experiment despite what british_rover said! :P
    :)

No offense br, it just seems like a pretty scary thing to contemplate!
    I'm with you on that, pat! It's just that what british_rover said seems to fly in the face of what I thought was undisputed fact. (Or maybe he was just being facetious and I misunderstood).
    No its true a lit cigarette probably won't ignite a pool of gasoline. I wouldn't try it myself and advise against it but most likely the lit end of the cig will miss the fumes and be smothered by the liquid gas when it hits the surface.

My college roommates Uncle, and yes I know that makes it sound like an urban legend, used to do this trick all the time. He was an old school race car driver that raced in the IMCA series and I remember him doing this at his shop quite a few times.

They used it as a kind of hazing ritual for the new guys on the team. He said 9 times out of 10 the gasoline would not ignite. Still a 10 percent chance is a 10 percent chance so I wouldn't risk it. I guess the conditions really need to be ideal for the gasoline to ignite.
    You know, I think probably the hosts have a responsibility to test this out to either debunk or confirm your theory once and for all, since all members are no doubt keenly interested in the results! And afterall, it's only a 10% chance! ;) :P
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    I'd be glad to... but, I don't smoke.. :shades:

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Neither do I - anymore. :blush:

Bodble2 is the one who put this out there. I'm waiting for him to tell us what happens. :P
    Umm....huh...what are we talking about again? :blush: :P
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    The mythbusters already did this, in one of their movie myth episodes.
    A lit cigarette will not ignite a puddle of gasoline.

With that being said, I have no intetion of parking a TL or any other car with a gas leak on or near a lit cigarette.
    It just goes against everything that little "keep me safe" voice in my head is always telling me.
    Will a Pinto or Corvair ignite a puddle of gasoline??? :surprise:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

One of my first cars was a 1978 Green on green Ford Pinto.

I spent more time watching my rearview mirror than I did watching the road ahead of me. :P
  • sebastian1sebastian1 Member Posts: 4
    I am deciding between a AWD Infiniti G35 and Acura TL. I live in the northeast. I would be curious to know how the Acura TL front wheel drive performs in the snow. thanks
    Get snow tires LOL

Being that you posted in the Type-S thread, I assume you're looking at the Type-S?
    You'll need winter rubber, and a skill to drive in the stuff.

I had the same decision to make and ended up with the G35x.

Do yourself a favor... drive both before deciding.

I was pretty much sold on the Type-S until I drove the G and then never glanced at the TL again.
    There are many TL owners who can say the same about the G.

Only you can decide that... but one thing is for sure.
    The G35x is leaps and bounds better in the white stuff than the TL...type-s or not.
    Ah I figured they would have done this.

Still a gas leak is a serious safety problem even if you don't have to worry about lit cigarettes.
    I compared the same two cars as Scott, but went the way of the TL because my needs/wants/desires were best filled by the TL just as the factors Scott sought were with the G35x.

My (non-S) '05 TL was rather poor in the snow due to, I hope, the Bridgestone Turanze EL42 tires. I made it through the last two Boston winters without incident, just a lot more TCS and ABS (as well as caution) action than I've ever had in the snow before. Turanzas are gone, we'll see how the Toyos handle the white gold.

I've driven FWD all my life to the mountains of New England. Never really had a problem with FWD/all season tires....until the TL.

Can't speak to TLs with other tires, but given equal treads, AWD will give you better traction through the snow. The question is, do you want to (or care about) carrying the added weight and complexity of AWD all year long?

If I cared that much about the extra few pounds, I'd use my $1,500 rowing machine more often! :P

Even with the AWD, I'm seriously considering winter rubber on dedicated wheels anyway.
    I may put my Tirerack order in as early as this weekend.
    Like any decision, pros/cons. AWD, of course, offers each...

So, you do use the rower occasionally? My Nordic Trac skier (which really is a great workout) has died of loneliness. Especially since I unplugged the treadmill it shares a room with... :sick:

I have a 2004 TL 6-speed that came with the "HPT" summer tire package. Bridgestone Potenzas in place of the universally despised Tourenzas. Great dry pavement handling; absurdly bad snow performance.

My former hometown gets 100-120 inches of snow a year. If I was to move back, I'd still be hard pressed to get an AWD sedan. I think you can do just fine with the right set of winter tires in FWD or even RWD.
    I have bad knees and the doc said one way to releive some off the pain is to work the leg muscles with some sort of zero tolerance exercise.
    He suggested an eliptical machine, but I feel retarded on those things.

The rowing machine is awesome and it does one heck of a full body workout.
    I use it on a fairly regular basis, but the wife will never think it's used enough, no matter how long I spend on that thing.
    I should spend less time washing cars and more time rowing!
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    I would be curious to know how the Acura TL front wheel drive performs in the snow. thanks

We live in the snow-belt and have 3-4 months of exposure to snow/sleet/ice. Have had many fwd cars, and rwd, in years past and always mount 4 snow tires on the cars for the winter. Have an 04 Acura TL and have had dedicated alloy rims with Dunlop "50" series snow tires. Got these at TireRack. Live in a rural area with a long uphill drive. The TL has been very good in snow, ice, slush condition. As with any vehicle though, the limiting factor on getting through snow is ground clearance. Knowing that the TL is not a high-standing suv, one must be prudent in attempting to drive through freshly fallen snow that is close to ground clearance dimension in order to not hang up.

I would never consider driving a vehicle in snow or ice with "all-season" tires. For sure, not with summer tires. Once got caught in an early snow with summer Pirellis on a Honda and it was nearly impossible to move or control.

With Infiniti G35 awd, what are penalties in extra weight, poorer gas mileage, and handling (in the dry) vs a rwd?
    With Infiniti G35 awd, what are penalties in extra weight, poorer gas mileage, and handling (in the dry) vs a rwd?

Yes, but not enough to keep me from owning one.
    It's heavier, a little more hungry and not quite a nimble on the dry roads, but it's still an insanely fun car to drive.

I was also on the TL Type-S/G35x fence, and I'm glad than I fell in the direction that I did.

Both are super cars and I wish I could own both, but I had to make a decision and with 2 little ones being brought to school each morning, I figured the G would suit me perfectly.
    Safe handling awd "Dad's car" when the kids are with me, and sport oriented speed and handling when alone.

I also opted for snow tires, even with the AWD.
    Tirerack has Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's on clearance for $99 (now down to $93)... and I had them mounted on dedicated 5 spoke aluminum wheels.
    Came to less than $800 and they look awesome (for snowtires)
    In the long run, it actually saves money, with the summer rubber being in the garage for 4 months a year.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    I also opted for snow tires, even with the AWD.
    Tirerack has Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's on clearance for $99 (now down to $93)... and I had them mounted on dedicated 5 spoke aluminum wheels.

We have had WS-50's on our Ody minivan since Nov 2000 in winter time. They are great in snow/ice, "but" they are kind of spongy in the dry. Can kind of toss the Ody around a little with regular Michelins in summer/fall in the dry, but have to be very careful with the WS-50's.
    The rephrase a bit... they are spongy in the warmer dryer weather.
    If it's cold (Below 35), they're not as bad.

Most dedicated winter tires are this way, due to the softer compound.
    The Blizzaks are a little more noticable though, yes.

Mine will not go on the car until the temp drops permanently, and will be off as soon as the temps start to hit above 40 during the day.

Very good point though... thanks
  • mikes8mikes8 Member Posts: 3
    Why is cruise control bad on a new car?
    Using cruise control is bad on a new car, because you'd want to avoid going at a constant speed for an extended period of time on a green engine.
  • inwi99inwi99 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I've been looking at some low milege TL type S's with 6MT. Looks like they are selling on eBay in the 31-32 range. Good prices or not? Anything to look out for? What's the story on the struts, is there a range of VIN #'s to worry about?
    Thanks
  • mpragemprage Member Posts: 2
    I have a manual 2007 TL type S and occasionally I have trouble engaging 3rd gear and reverse gear. When I try to shift to those gears, it feels like the stick is encountering a physical barrier and it pops back into neutral. Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong and does this warrant a servicing?
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I know the TL-S with ebony interior also has a black headliner and black carpets.

The TL-S can also be had with a taupe interior and black carpets. Does the taupe interior TL-S also have black headliner like the ebony version?

Any opinion on which interior looks better with a Kinetic blue or Carbon Bronze TL-S?
    I have a Carbon Bronze TL-S with the taupe interior. The headliner is taupe and the floor carpet is black and I'm very pleased with the car and color combinations. I was unsure about the exterior because it can look gray at times and brownish at other times depending on lighting. My prior car was a 2003 CL-S and all black so I just wanted a change. Also, the dark chrome wheels and trim look particularly good with the Carbon Bronze color. Good luck.
    I like the contrast of the black and taupe on the door panels in your color combo pv2. I think it is striking. Nice looking car you have there!
  • sicktls4mesicktls4me Member Posts: 30
    Looks like I'm not the only one having this problem - 3rd gear. Though downshifting to 3rd gear is not a problem. Do you have a problem with downshifting? Not sure when it started, but, I've noticed it more for the past couple of months. I've had mine since mid-Apr. I don't have any ideas on what's wrong, but, it should be under powertrain warranty. Even if I do know the problem, it's best to take it to the dealer. I just hope this can be fixed!! At least with mine, it does not happen all the time. There seems to be no pattern on when it happens - I've tried slow acceleration, moderate and fast. Good luck!!
    A good place for price comparison for your interest in TL-S, 6MT, would be CARMAX. Not sure what you consider low mileage. Good luck!!
    I have a Kinetic Blue with Taupe interior. As a designer, this combo looks great. The light color interior makes the interior look more roomy, Plus, it looks and feels like luxurious furniture. With the Taupe int, you (at least, I can) can appreciate the quality of the stitching, especially on the door panels. The Taupe should also look great with Carbon Bronze. Personally, I'd stay away from black interior. Unless, you like to look at dirt/dust most of the time. The only negative thing about light interior color is if it gets stain - so beware!! I don't eat in my car, so, that solves the stain problem.
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    I have the Kinetic Blue with black interior and I love it. I considered the taupe but decided against it as it was too light and would show dirt much more so than the black. My previous car had the beige interior and that required a lot of cleaning and upkeep. Also, the black in my opinion is very sporty and adds to the car's sport appeal and feel. Both colors combinations are beautiful, just depends if you mind the additional maintenance that will be required with the taupe interior.
    As with everything, there are pros and cons to every choice.

Good Luck with you decision.
    Thanks for the opinions on interior colors - both taupe and the black are nice.

I have 2 kids in car seats so leather is a plus. If the black carpet in all TL-S models is anything like our Odyssey Touring, it may get dusty but it hides stains well.

To add to the temptation my dealer called to offer invoice pricing plus 2.9% financing on the TL-S. I want to pull the trigger but spring '08 would be better timing wise for my finances.

Also considering a used RL but I think the TL-S is a very nice deal.
  • inwi99inwi99 Member Posts: 3
    Bit the bullet. Got an '07 MT with 3500 miles. Have noticed a few things, rear deck/subwoofer rattles. I had a problem with the third gear issue twice, I think you have to shift it like it's a gated shifter, make sure you move it into the correct location. No problems since understanding the way the linkage works. I've been/still driving MT V6 Taurus SHO's forever (still have 2) , this is a nice car. Moroccan Red w/ black and grey interior.
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    If you have 2 kids in car seats, I would NOT get the Taupe interior. I had a BMW with the sand (dark beige) interior when my kids were in car seats. The BMW Sand Color interior is a lot darker than Acura's Taupe interior. I spent an awful lot of time cleaning the back of the drivers and passengers seats as well as the rear door trim. Taupe is a very nice color, however, it would NOT be my choice if you have two young kids, unless you don't mind spending a lot of time cleaning or don't mind having the appearance of a stained or dirty trim.

Just my 2 cents worth...Good luck with your decision

Spyder.
    Thanks for the heads up on the Taupe with kids.

They do kick the back of my seats in my 2005 Accord Hyrbid and I hate cleaning the scuffs off. Scuffs do bother me. The TL has less rear leg room than the Accord so there would only be more back seat kicking!

The deals are great right now. If I can I want to wait till Spring to pay cash and I think the deals will be as good or better once a prototype 2009 TL is shown in public.

It is still mighty tempting to get the TL-S now. It has everything I want and need right now.
    Agree on taupe not being ideal with kids; but fine for two adults. One of my two grandkids is still young enough to occasionally scuff the seat back but it's getting rare and we don't allow the kids to have food in the back.
This discussion has been closed.