Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

SUV gas mileage - Feel free to participate

Comments

• kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    That is Horrible milage on the Pilot.

My 03 LX averages 17+ around the house. Most of that is a 7 mile trip to work which involves 3 Stop signs, 4 traffic lights, and 6 different roads. Not exactly a formula for good gas milage.

With a bit over 5k on the engine my wife and I drove from Atlanta to Indianapolis and averaged 28.2 mpg for the highway miles and near 27 for the entire 1100+ mile trip including sight seeing while there. Air was running about half the time. Speed was the posted speed limits. Tires are the Goodyear Integra with 34 #PSI. Terrain about half hills some flats and one mountain range.

Another trip was Atlanta to Myrtle Beach SC. Air running most of the time, heavy rain both ways. Tires at 34#, speed keeping up with traffic and trying to not get passed by 18 wheelers, to protect visibility. A lot of 70-80mph. Average for entire 800+ mile trip including sight seeing 23.4 mpg.

Last trip was recently with 4 adults, to Myrtle Beach, and keeping up with traffic (70-80 mph). Air running constantly. Tires at 34#. Entire 800+ mile trip averaged 23.3 mpg.

Obviously speed and driving habits can contribute to fuel milage. For the Pilot owners here is a neat trick that I learned right after getting ours in Feb 03. Our Pilot had a rough idle and had flat spots at times at different speeds. Some times the tranny seemed to be confused about shifting. Fuel milage averaging in the low teens.:cry:

Dealer said everything was OK and problem would likely go away with more miles driven. :mad: I posted the problem on a forum and was sent an email of how to "FIX" the problems.

This is supposed to be done by the dealer as part of the "Get Ready". Although sometime it doesn't get done. I got this from a Honda service bulletin web sight. (Can't find it now.) Any way here is the info..

IMPORTANT: Be sure everything is turned off. Radio, air, fans, lights, wipers, etc...

The engine needs to be cold as it would be after not running for 5+ hours.

Disconnect the battery for about 1 minute. This will require you to restart and reset the radio later. (The "HOW TO" is on that little "Radio" credit card looking thingie in your owners package). Don't panic because you are going to have to do this when you replace the battery. Might as well learn how now.

re-connect the battery.

Crank the car. Do not touch the gas.

Let the car idle until the radiator fan comes on at least twice. (On a cold day you might be staring at that fan for a half hour or so). Watch it, because you may not hear it.

That is it! This procedure sets up the computor with the proper smoke and mirrors to properly run the engine.

After doing this the problems all went away. :D

Kip
  • fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    I have a 1995 GMC Suburban SLT K1500 4x4 350 ci TBI. It has about 145,000 miles on it. For true highway driving irrespective of load, A/C, mountains, or speed (60-80 mph) it gets 15 mpg +/- 0.1 mpg. In town it usually gets 13 mpg with some variability to the down side. This vehicle weighs 6000 lbs and has a 42 gallon tank giving it a highway range of 630 miles. I use synthetic engine oil, synthetic trans oil, all other fluid synthetic, K&N filter, throttle body spacer, Michelin X Radials (275/70/R16) at 35 psi. I love this vehicle, but have replaced it with a 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L. Similar room and comfortbut with 27.1 mpg (800 miles) on my first highway trip without really being broken in.
    Also, I had a 1990 Isuzu P/U, space cab 2 wheel drive 5 speed. The best mileage that I ever got in it was 22 mpg and with the A/C on it would drop to 18 mpg. When I got rid of it it was getting about 15 mpg so I did not feel as bad driving the Suburban.
  • iburnh2oiburnh2o Member Posts: 1
    You're off to a good start, but there are other things you can try for better mileage. For me it was cheaper overall to make the most of what I had instead of getting another vehicle. More info here:

http://fueleconomytips.com
  • ekalakaekalaka Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Suburban. Love it.

18 mpg at 75 mph. No problem. Worth every bit.

I have a 2001 Impala. My son's car.
    29 mpg highway. very nice car.
    radio reception sucks. That's my only problem with it.

I have a 1996 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4
    18 mpg all day long. 135,000 miles and no troubles.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have large SUVs but might rent a car to save on gas when going on long trips. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, April 6, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    i'd like to see if anyone responds. seems like it is pretty tough to justify based on saving gas.
    we use ours as an alternative to flying.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    we use ours as an alternative to flying

But some still say that flying is the safest means of transportation. :)

tidester, host
    i'm guessing you looked at some of my pictures posted on 'carspace'.
    i should mention that both of my kids were sleeping. one woke up and said 'did something just happen?'. we woke up the other just before it went 'piggy back' on the wrecker.
    Thank goodness no one was hurt!

tidester, host
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    We use ours as an alternative to flying as well. With 4 kids the cost of flying is prohibitive.
    But I don't see anyone renting to save on gas. My Burb gets 18 mpg HWY, I would need to rent a minivan or at the very least a full size sedan with 6 pass seating. I could expect around 26 MPG from a minivan, or maybe 30 MPG from the sedan. There is no way to make up the cost of the rental. Even if you drove some insane distance like 3000 miles, you'd only save 66 gal in the sedan, even at $3 per gal that's only $198 difference in gas. And then you also would be driving those 3000 mi. with your kids crammed in a smaller vehicle fighting. No Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Now in the Rearview Mirror: Low Gasoline Prices (NY Times - registration may be required).

"Our lifestyle is designed around the car and cheap gasoline. There's very little we can do about it to reduce our dependency on our automobiles"

That's a quote from our own Juice, long time member and Community Leader here.

Steve, Host
  • ricksterqricksterq Member Posts: 45
    I have a 96 Pathfinder SE 4x4. I drive about 300-350 miles per week with about 250 of those as freeway miles. I'm averaging right around 18-19 mpg. That might have been acceptable when gas was $1.25 or so, but not now. I'm selling it and buying a 4-door sedan. I really like the utility of my SUV but I can't justify buying another one with gas prices where they're at now and no decrease in sight.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Thanks Steve. It was the front-page article in the Business section this past Saturday, and they included my photo, too. :)

-juice
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Yep, only way I see you could come out is if you are avoiding going over your lease mileage and avoiding paying the overage or maybe want to extend your warranty by reducing miles on your vehicle.

Of course some folks don't make real good decisions. I know someone that had a 2.5 year old Envoy XL. Last year he complained about how much he had lost on depreciation and how much gas it was using. Traded it in on an HHR to get better mileage and of course sealed his loss on the Envoy. Bottom line would probably have been better to ride the Envoy for 5-6 years so the depreciation would level/spread out over time and paying $5 a week more in gas would only be $250 year. I think he really WANTED the HHR and was trying to justify it.. Did not make sense to me, but it is his money :-)
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ....endless upward spiraling gas prices, I think we're going to start seeing more SUV's parked in driveways and collecting dust sitting on dealership lots than on the highways. That's fine with me. They're more of a hazard than anything to me in my little Corolla. I doubt too many people are going to be willing to part with a C note once a week to keep their behemoths on the road.
    For a few, maybe, but I don't see the type of person that bought a 12mpg vehicle in the first place parking it for that reason alone. Plus, with most of these $30k or higher, it's not like they can't afford $4 gas.

-juice
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "....endless upward spiraling gas prices, I think we're going to start seeing more SUV's parked in driveways and collecting dust sitting on dealership lots than on the highways. That's fine with me. They're more of a hazard than anything to me in my little Corolla. I doubt too many people are going to be willing to part with a C note once a week to keep their behemoths on the road."

The trend I've noticed is SUVs going slower on the freeway. I don't know if they are trying to save fuel or what, but it is a bit of an inconvenience. :surprise:
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    My Burb gets 18 mpg HWY

Man you must be driving down hill (LOL). My 2000 Suburban 4x4 (65k miles) averages around 16mpg on the hwy when crusing @ 70. Best tank ever netted 17.4, but we had a nice tail wind the whole way. I've taken the burb on many 700+ mile trips and most of the time I get around 15-16hwy, 12-13mpg in town. Towing my 4,800lb boat and I get 10-11mpg @ 65mph.

I agree you can't beat the space. We only have 2 kids 3 & 7, but they each get their own row and they don't fight (priceless) and all our stuff easily fits behind the 3rd row.
    I drove up to the NY show with Bob, and while it most certainly is not an SUV, his WRX wagon managed almost 28mpg going 75-80mph the whole way. Incredible.

It's probably as quick as a Grand Cherokee SRT-8, too.

-juice
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    The 18 mpg Burb must be 2WD, I know some people who easily get 18 mpg on their 2wd Suburbans on the Highway. I do notice though that the 4WD versions get lower mileage, my Honda Pilot AWD( or is it 4WD?) gets 22 mpg highway, real world, however this SUV weighs almost 1000 pounds less than a Burb and several feet shorter, and for all practical purposes cannot tow anything for fear of blowing up the transmission , 99 percent of Honda Pilots do not have Tow hitches. The GM 99 to 2006 Tahoe/Burb models are what I should have bought.
  • edwin10edwin10 Member Posts: 32
    Gas prices are not making me change my driving habbits,
    simply because I do not drive much. I have a big car
    that get 18 mpg city, and 29 hwy ( real figures off my
    dash computer ) that I drive 70% of the time, and a
    3/4 ton Suburban that I drive the other 30%. Between the
    two I drive about 7600 miles per year. Can not trade my
    Suburban, I use it for what it was really made for,
    hauling heavy loads. Two weeks ago I had 20 bags of
    concrete in the back that weighed 1600 lbs, Suburban
    barely knew they were there. I haul lumber, metal,
    all kinds of equipment. My Suburban does not cost me,
    it makes me money. Do not really like pick up trucks,
    because no way to protect load, and with a Suburban you
    can fit a 10', or even a 12' board in it, and close the
    back hatch.
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    Why would a slower-moving SUV be any more of an inconvenience than say, a slower-moving econobox? Or am I misinterpreting your comment, in part based on the fact that you didn't explain in your previous post (which I am replying to) who or what exactly is being "inconvenienced" by a slower-moving SUV on the freeway. Or for that matter, what did you mean by "slower"--slower than the speeds you have typically seen them driven at? Slower than normal flow of freeway traffic? Slower than a non-SUV? ;)
    i am mostly concerned with 18 wheelers. suv's are nothing to worry about. just depends on your situation.
    The concept of a traditional SUV and worrying about MPG is a bit of a contradiction... :confuse:
    The concept of a traditional SUV and worrying about MPG is a bit of a contradiction...

Not really since the word "worry" does not appear in the title. Apparently, you surmise people are worried about it. :)

tidester, host
    "Not really since the word "worry" does not appear in the title. Apparently, you surmise people are worried about it."

OK, semantics. The point is that SUVs are not expected to get very good MPG. How many times do we need to see that a large, heavy full-sized SUV is getting 13 city / 17 highway?

Each car forum has a MPG topic...
    Everything being relative, there are some vehicles that are best in class.

Read up above and you'll see multiple posts from Forester and CR-V owners that might influence someone who subscribes to this thread to consider some of those more efficient alternatives.

-juice

PS 25.1 mpg 9 year average, peak 30.4 mpg, low 17.3 mpg while towing with my '98 Forester (165hp, 166 lb-ft)
    is that it is not unusual for minivans and suvs to get similar mileage. my definition of an suv is something that is close in size to a minivan, which aren't so 'mini' antmore.
  • rwrsrrwrsr Member Posts: 4
    I have about 6500 miles on my '06 Pathfinder and am averaging 18 city and 21 highway.
  • brown3brown3 Member Posts: 26
    Over the first 1400 miles I've averaged just under 18 mpg on regular 87 octane gas. I'd describe my driving as mostly "hill country suburban" which means winding, highwaylike, 50-60 MPH roads with periodic stoplights, along with some stretches of residential streets having a 30 MPH speed limit. Lots of grades and hills. (Coasting down a hill doesn't make up for the extra gas you burn getting up the hill.)
  • pduddypduddy Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone comment on or have an idea as to when/if the SUV price collapse is coming? I'm patiently waiting and wondering who is dumping inventory ... XC-90's, Explorer, Land Rover, Sequoia etc... any thoughts would be appreciated.

Looking for a great bargain...35k range...$400/month lease range
    "Truck and SUV sales were down 10 percent. Even GM's 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe, which has enjoyed a sales boom this spring, was down 5.5 percent in May...Chrysler said its truck and SUV sales fell 14 percent. (Ford's) SUV sales were down 21 percent...Nissan Motor Co. said its sales were down 7 percent." Forbes

Avoid Toyota/Honda and the crossovers and it should be a buyer's market starting now. If you're looking for a collapse, start following the Delphi bankruptcy reorganization and if the judge hammers the employee package, get your financing lined up. (link) ;)

Steve, Host
    Today's news from Business Week:

"Auto sales in May sank, with all three U.S. companies down and looking warily at a summer selldown of 2006 models that could force cutthroat discounting, especially to move increasingly unfashionable and impractical SUVs and trucks." link

Steve, Host
    "especially to move increasingly unfashionable and impractical SUVs and trucks."

Have to disagree with this statement. SUVs are very practical - probably the most practical of any car sold. However they are not fuel efficient. The sentence reveals the bias of the author.
    Definitely a poor choice of words. Perhaps he could have said "expensive to fuel up", to be more to the point.

-juice
    big discounts make me think about getting a bigger more luxurious suv. i don't see myself without one. i think a lot of the small car sales are add-ons, not replacements for suv's. mine was. ;)
  • thegreatozthegreatoz Member Posts: 39
    Hmmm..."unfashionable"?

Don't tell the NBA homeboys with their pimped-out Escalades!
    :wink:
  • pduddypduddy Member Posts: 4
    thank you all so much
  • mhumble73mhumble73 Member Posts: 4
    I have a question for anyone out there, I have a Hyundai Santa Fe and was wondering if lowering it would provide better MPG? I've seen a few in town that are lowered, they look cool, would probably lower rollover risk, but I'm also wondering about possible mileage improvements?
    Thanks.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I have a question for anyone out there, I have a Hyundai Santa Fe and was wondering if lowering it would provide better MPG? I've seen a few in town that are lowered, they look cool, would probably lower rollover risk, but I'm also wondering about possible mileage improvements?
    Thanks.

And how would you go off road with a lowered SUV?
    You might get just a tad less aero resistance, but I doubt it would make a measurable improvement. It certainly won't pay for the cost of a lowering kit.

Funny thing is narrow tires would help more. Wide tires create more wind resistance.

So if you have a 225/50 and swap to a 205/55 (same overall sidewall height), you'd probably notice a bigger improvement.

Looks dorky, though.

-juice
    Funny thing is narrow tires would help more. Wide tires create more wind resistance.

Narrow tires also have lower rolling resistance.
  • ppinoskippinoski Member Posts: 1
    you're right about the lower rolling resistance. This site, gas-mileage-enhancers.com/gas_mileage_enhancers-tire_care.htm gives some good info about that. It covers tire choices, air pressure, and wheel alignment issues.
  • aflick2104aflick2104 Member Posts: 1
    Since most SUVs give you the option to switch from 4x2 to 4x4 with a manual control knob, do you get the fuel economy as EPA posts (ex. 2005 nissan Pathfinder 16/23-4x2, 15/21-4x4)as a 4x2 when in the 4x2 mode? in otherwords, does the 4x4 capable suv, when in 4x2 mode, achieve the gas mileage of 16/23(4x2) instead of 15/21(4x4)?
    I don't think so, no. Because the 4X4 adds weight and drag. There's the heft of the extra equipment, not to mention bigger tires (usually) and more aerodynamic drag from a higher stance (in most cases).

-juice
  • mcdaniel4mcdaniel4 Member Posts: 9
    I usually ride in my Tahoe by myself, kids are gone from home.Big decision to trade to a car. Haven't had one in years. However, when it costs me 70$ to fill it up, that's a chunk of change. 13city/17hwy. Doesn't change much. 2003 model. I have enjoyed it, but think about the better gas. But where will I put my fishing poles, nightcrawlers and all the extra stuff I always carry?? Decisions, decisions.
    Any thoughts from someone who has made the move to a car would be appreciated.
    I usually ride in my Tahoe by myself, kids are gone from home.Big decision to trade to a car. Haven't had one in years. However, when it costs me 70$ to fill it up, that's a chunk of change. 13city/17hwy. Doesn't change much. 2003 model. I have enjoyed it, but think about the better gas. But where will I put my fishing poles, nightcrawlers and all the extra stuff I always carry?? Decisions, decisions.
    Any thoughts from someone who has made the move to a car would be appreciated.

Check out Honda Fit, it has as much room inside as the CR-V (smaller SUV) but gets 38 mpg. Toyota AValon is not much better on gas than the Tahoe. Plus the fishing rods will be a problem with a sedan. You need a hatchback, Fit fits alot of stuff. :-)
    Avalon's V6 is actually pretty fuel efficient, over 30 mpg on the highway.

But...it is a big change to suddenly go to a FWD sedan. You're giving up the 4WD and the big cargo area.

I'd suggest a good wagon, or even one with AWD. It would be a lot less of a shock for you, and mileage can be be pretty good. Lots of choices - any number of Subarus, the Mazda6, the Passat, some Audis, Saab SportCombi, Benz, BMW, one to fit any price class.

Wagons also have the roof rack, so if it don't fit inside, tie it to the roof!

I've hauled 5 sheets of plywood on top of my Forester, no problem. I get 25mpg and still enjoy AWD.

-juice
    "Check out Honda Fit, it has as much room inside as the CR-V (smaller SUV) but gets 38 mpg. Toyota AValon is not much better on gas than the Tahoe. Plus the fishing rods will be a problem with a sedan. You need a hatchback, Fit fits alot of stuff."

Don't be ridiculous. The Fit has about 1/3 less room than the CR-V, and WAY less cargo room. I had a CR-V and my mother in law just bought a Fit. Not even close in size. I also suspect that the Fit doesn't have the payload capacity of the CR-V, and AWD isn't offered.

I like the Fit - it is cute and practical. But it is not designed to fulfill the role of an SUV.
This discussion has been closed.