Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Tahoe Electrical Problems

Comments

• I have been having this same issue for over a year. First it was the door actuators on 3 doors and the o2 sensor which were all replaced. Now the last door actuator isn't working and the car goes haywire and dies and comes back all by itself. Took to get the battery tested and its fine. the hard shift the car is make scares the hell out of my kids and myself. Husband just took it to the dealer and they said it was some wiring harness and are charging us $385. Why should we have to pay if these are obviously KNOWN issues by GM. I almost don't want to pick up my Tahoe. Won't be buying ANY GM products in the future.
  • Good morning nowen1,

We're sorry that you've had these difficulties with your Tahoe, but it sounds like your dealership has found a resolution for the electrical concerns you had been having. If you would like for us to check into anything further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details, including: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I purchased my 2012 Chevy Tahoe in May. I have had problems since the first day with it. The first morning I went out and tried to open it with Key fob it took over 10 minutes for it to work. I have brought it to the dealership twice now for it and the first time I was told the key fobs were bad and so they replaced them. Here it is now and still have the same issues and they are getting worse. After 10 minutes of trying to open the vehicle, now once I get in it won't start, so after another 15 minutes of trying to start it, it thens has my sensors going crazy. It says to service them and then tells me they are off . I brought it back and was told that they found 25 error codes and reset them and can't seem to find the issue. They think it is a grounding issue. I put a call into Chevy today and told them I am not dealing with this and I want another vehicle. I was given a reference number and was told they will call me back. I have videos of me trying to get in my vehicle in the morning. I just hope Chevy replaces my vehicle. I can see other people have had the same issues and are still having them years later. Of course when you talk to the dealership you get the "I can't duplicate the problem". I am very frustrated and also concerned for my safety and my children. I Hope Chevy does the right thing and takes it back, but if they don't I guess that is what the lemon law was made for.
  • Good morning tiggerbad1,

We're very sorry that you've had these difficulties with your new Tahoe! It sounds like you've contacted Customer Assistance already - did they set up a Service Request for you? If not, and if you would like for us to do so, please email us more details at socialmedia@gm.com (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and approximate mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• Read the lemon law at http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon. There are so many attempts that a car dealership can do before they are required by law to buy the car back. My advice to you: If you just bought the car and are having these issues - more will come as one electrical issue is often tied to another. Do work with GM Social Media gal to see if the problem can be resolved. However, make yourself familiar with the lemon law and what your rights are in terms of returning the car and getting another new one. My sister had electrical problems with a brand new Hyndai and after five visits, they eventually bought the car back under lemon law and returned her money.
  • To any GM/Chevrolet representative monitoring this forum: My 2008 Tahoe, for which I paid more money used than I have EVER paid for a vehicle, has more problems than any other vehicle I've ever owned. First it was a dead battery at 2 1/2 years old, then when a new battery was installed, a random, intermittent, not starting problem that could sometimes be solved by jiggling or loosening, then retightening, already maximum-tightened battery cables. Then, lo and behold, the not starting problems stopped (and I mean stopped for the past 2 years), and were almost immediately replaced by failed door locks. Let me tell you it's great fun in Florida running to my car, unlocking it with my FOB (so the alarm won't go off when I manually unlock the driver's door) and then getting soaked while I manually unlock my driver's door to get inside. But.........thank God I have one door I can actually insert a key into to unlock, because when we take guests in our 6-seater vehicle, I have to drop the front passenger seat all the way back and crawl into the back seat (at the age of 53, I don't think a 70-year old would be able to do this) to unlock the door behind me. Yes, the driver's door won't lock, and the rear passenger door won't unlock!!!!

Oh, and also when the car no longer had starting problems, it was also replaced by a front speaker not working, as well as the back-up indicator and "open door chime" volume going all the way to almost inaudible. Except for when my husband drives my car. For some reason, 9 times out of 10 when he drives, the volume goes back to loud, which by the way is what it is set at. Yes, I have read the manual cover to cover and I know how, and have set the volume to loud. Doesn't matter when you're dealing with a haunted car!!!! You must have some incredibly talented programmers, or some incredibly inept technicians. Oh, and there is also the matter of now my dome light doesn't work when I open my car door. Yes, that was great fun a few weeks ago when my father was dying, and I had to make several trips to airports to pick up family members and back and forth to his residence at night to be with him as he passed. Is it too much to ask for the dome light to come on when it's dark outside and I open my car door???? It comes on if I turn the button, so it's not out, right? Oh, and the timer doesn't work on my display indicator control panel, or the DIC as it's called in the manual. So yeah, I'm glad I'm no longer getting stuck with my engine not starting, but I really expected more from the most expensive car I ever bought.

The "badness" or "crap manufacturing and parts" of the 2008 Tahoe is all over the Web, and yet GM/Chevrolet does not and will not own up to it. I'm sure you must realize how incredibly patronizing you sound on these forums as you state over and over and over, ad nauseum, "have you contacted customer service?", "I'm sorry to hear of your problems with your xxxxx car; we strive to provide the best customer service ever...blahblahblahblah" - do you seriously think that people don't read all that when they are trying to figure out how to avoid paying $800 to have two stupid door locks fixed at a dealer? Electric door locks have been in cars since the 60s, for gosh sakes - it is not rocket science - and 99.9 percent of us never had a problem with them previously, and certainly didn't have a problem with them when the car was only three or four years old.

So, once and for all, can the GM rep who monitors this forum please tell me how you are going to fix the obviously global problem with these cars, or are you just going to leave ALL these people, who obviously represent only a fraction of those experiencing these problems, with no recourse other than to NEVER buy a GM product again in their lifetime? I can tell you I was turned against Ford when I was eight years old (hole in floorboard that I feared I would fall into the road when small) and Dodge (bad first year Durango) and I will never purchase another one as long as I live. People develop strong feelings for the vehicles they trust their lives to every day, and you and your company would be well-advised to remember that as you try to earn your living from those vehicles. I am anxiously waiting for your reply.
  • If that's what you do, then why hasn't anyone in these 360 posts had their problem resolved? What a crock of &@$". After I've gone back and printed all of these 360 posts, I see that your response is nothing but a standard phrase that you copy and paste. Guess that's a pretty good business. You sit at home reading all of our problems, probably thinking "Ha, you poor bas&@&@! You won't be finding a fix in this lifetime!" As you copy and paste your standard bs response. :sick:
  • Exactly. Well said. It is dangerous for these vehicles to be on the road. MY Tahoe will loose all power while I am driving it. I will never buy a Tahoe again. They should have had a recall a long time ago. They don't want to spend the money to ensure the lives of their customers. Very poor customer service. I will never buy a Chevy again in fact.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,166
    llb57,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to post your concerns and frustrations with your vehicle. I understand your position. We are not mechanics and cannot diagnose the vehicle and its concerns. I understand your confusion and I would like to take the time to explain our position on the forum and what it is that we can do; as well as what we are trying to do, but it has never been and will never be to patronize you guys.

General Motors realizes that their customers are using outlets such as Edmunds and Facebook to share information from vehicle concerns, dealer concerns, as well as questions; therefore we have been sent out here to connect with you.

When it comes to problems you are experiencing with your vehicle, prior to our involvement on these social sites, the only way these concerns were documented was if the customer contact GM Customer Assistance directly via the 800 number. In participating on these social sites and gathering information, we have been able to document the different concerns and experiences from customers who were not calling the 800 number. Our purpose out here is to connect with customers, gather information, and assist to the best of our abilities with the resources we have. Granted this does limit what exactly we can do. As you have stated there are many posts, and in engaging with them they have been documented; and cases for those who contact me directly via the email address. The number of the same complaints is monitored and kept track of. We count on you to keep us informed of the situations and concerns you are having so we can continue to track and monitor these as well as step in where we are able.

I understand our responses seem very generic, and I do apologize; but there are only so many ways we can ask you to send us the information we need to set up a case and start the ball rolling, and this goes for apologizing as well. Sarah and I are real people here and we do understand the economy, your frustrations, and sympathize with you. We have very specific conversations with management and dealers on your behalf. We would like you to know that these concerns are heard and every word gets documented for General Motors. Each case is individually handled based on a number of factors and we do our best to work with the dealers and provide you the best customer service we can and a fair resolution.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    2008tahoe1,
    Thanks for your post. I would like to clear up your confusion. Dealers are independently owned and operated; they are the ones that charge the diagnosis fees. GM dealers are contracted with General Motors, they are our eyes and ears in the field; this is why we need you to have the vehicle diagnosed and why we cannot wave the diagnosis fee. I apologize for any frustrations. Have a great day!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • So the story goes on, They took my truck for about 7 days and it did the same thing to them as it did to me, not opening the doors and not starting and then service codes. They decided to replace the body control module and I got it back on Friday. Here it is Tuesday and all weekend the same thing. I called the dealership and of course I get, bring it in. I have now made two phone calls to Chevy customer service and I have not received a call back. This is insane to be going thru this with a brand new vehicle. I am calling the attorney general today. Will keep posting the progress. I am guessing they will not just willingly give me a new truck.
  • mhal1mhal1 Posts: 3
    If they gave you a new truck it would just do the same thing. When we bought our Tahoe in 2009 it was brand new also. Have had trouble with it ever since. I would never buy a Chevy again.
  • mhal1,

Have you had your Tahoe looked at for these electrical issues you've had? If you would like for us to follow up on any diagnostics performed at a dealership, or work with you along side the dealership to have diagnostics performed, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealer).

• bran164bran164 Posts: 13
    Ok, so I have posted on here routinely about the work I have had done on my 2008 Silverado. I have had similar problems to most others on here, dealing with door locks cycling, stabilitrak disengaged, radio cutting off and on, reseting radio channels etc. Thus far I have replaced the 175 amp fuse, ignition switch, BCM and most recently battery cables. I just got my truck back from the dealership and they told me "Scan found DTC C0900 stored in the BCM. Found document PIT4816 which described customers symptoms. Ran a voltage drop test on the positive and negative battery cables and found 217mV on the positive cable and over 900mV on the negative. Discard is 200mV. Replace both the positive from the battery to the starter and the negative cables. " Essentially they told me my battery cables were bad and replaced them. Not sure if this is going to work but we'll see. Any one else on here had the battery cables replaced and problem persist?
  • Dear Sarah at GM,

I have called the 800 number and got a reference number. I have also called back 3 times to GM since my vehicle is now back at the dealership for the third time and no one will return my call. I have spoke to a Sam and a Paul and now being told Leo is handling this but yet no one will tell me what they are handling because they won't call me back. This is poor CUSTOMER SERVICE. I assume sending you my information would also do me no good. I will be contacting the Attorney General tomorrow and also an attorney because I can not get an answer from GM. I do not want this truck, I do not feel safe in this truck and the dealership under the direction of a tech from GM is grasping at straws at this point, asking me if I installed any accessories in the truck. Also asked if I had installed a remote start? Doesn't GM know that they come standard in a 2012 Tahoe LTZ. So let me get this straight, I don't even work for GM and I know more about the standard equipment then the tech's? I assume GM is trying to put the issue on me some how. Again, just seems like a lot of games to me and they can answer to the Attorney General because they sure won't call me back. How hard is it to pick up the phone and say I'm sorry we can't figure out what is wrong with the vehicle so let me get you a new one. No, they would rather avoid talking to me and hope the dealer can fix it and send me on my way. Well I am not backing down and I will not drive a $60,000.00 vehicle not knowing if it will open or start or shut systems down. VERY FRUSTRATED!!!!
  • So, the dealership has informed me that there is a field engineer coming to look at the truck and they are not sure when he is coming. I called customer care again today and no one will return my call. I have made 5 attempts and 2 live chat attempts and I keep getting the same standard answer. I'm sorry that you are going through this but if you would like to leave a message for Leo he will get back to you. I have been hearing this for 2 weeks and still nothing. I have filed a formal complaint with the Attorney General and I am so done trying to contact customer care. It is the worst CUSTOMER SERVICE I have ever dealt with. My advice to anyone going to buy a Chevrolet is DON'T, even when it is under warranty and the lemon law, they will avoid you at all costs.
  • It's time to start reading up on the "lemon laws." Find this online at: http://www.carlemon.com/ or: http://www.bbb.org/us/auto-line/state-lemon-law/ to search by state.
    Basically, if you keep bringing the car to the dealership for the same problem or similar problems.. ie: electrical, mechanical, safety matters, etc. .... The dealership is required by law to buy the car back and give you a full refund. It's time you begin reading about these lemon laws to fully understand your rights. The question is: How long are you going to wait for them to fix a car that should have been working fine in the first place?
  • So, I have a 2005 Suburban, bought it new and have never had any electrical issue until last week. The first time I noticed this issue is when I was leaving for work. Went to start the vehicle and during the start sequence I had a small (quick) pause in the starting cycle( I lost power very briefly/quickly). Starter never disengaged and vehicle did start. I did notice after the vehicle started my clock reset to 12:00 am. With this in mind, I never had an issue during any other starting cycle again(so far). The clock on the other hand has randomly reset many times, both while the vehicle is running and when it's parked and off. This has been going on for a little over a week now.

The kicker is while coming home from work today, my dash lights went into test mode twice within 3 minutes of each other. This test is the same test you would see when you turn your key to accessory before starting vehicle and all of the dashboard light eluminate to ensure they work. The second random test left my battery light on the dash, which went out when I turned off vehicle and re-started. I have no codes or other abnormal lights on dash. Battery is fully charged. Altenator is good.

Three hours later, I went to troubleshoot my electrical issue only to find I had no power to anything; lights, locks, ignition. I managed to gain access to the engine compartment to see if anything obvious was at fault, no luck. Everything seemed fine and in working order. I went to give my wife the concerning news and while I was explaining that I couldn't start Suburban cause I had no power, I pressed the door unlock button only to hear a familiar chirp. My power seemed to have come back on all by itself. That is where I'm currently at with this issue. A lot of questions and no answers. Hopefully there is someone with an answer or a direction. I am currently hunting down a schematic of the wiring for my vehicle. Figured, I might be able to troubleshoot better if I know the names of the electrical parts.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,911
    edited October 2012
    Here's one place with free wiring diagrams for most cars. BBBind.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Many thanks to steve (HOST), used the url that he provided and found that it also provides access to the Tech Service Bulletins that GM issues and one of the issues they address is "Loss of High Speed GM LAN Communications, Intermittent No Crank, IP Gauge Fluctuation, Intermittent Door Lock Cycling / Chime Operation, Various IP Warning Lamps Illuminated, Trans May Not Shift", which sounds like what many posts on this thread are addressing.. And also has the potential to impact some of the other posts that are in here.. So might be wise for anyone making a trip into a garage to have some of these issues addressed to have this bulletin in hand. Hopefully it will help..
    edited October 2012
    TSBs can be a bit tricky and just because there's a TSB out doesn't mean the manufacturer or dealer will use one to resolve a problem (or at least not resolve it for free).

"These bulletins differ from recalls in that they are not considered safety or emissions issues and they usually apply only when your vehicle is in its warranty period (whereas a recall is "open" until the work has been performed). TSBs frequently (but not always) address a recurring problem and include illustrated instructions for repair, a list of the parts needed, the warranty status and the labor charge."

How Can a Technical Service Bulletin Help Me?

• I absolutely agree, (I have a 98 GMC that had a windshield wiper motor problem that was recalled on most other GM vehicles, but the garage pointed out the recall didn't specifically call it out for my VIN).. But I was just thinking that since so many of the posts indicate that the technicians seem to be at a loss for where to search for the problems, having this TSB in hand could be very helpful in possibly getting at least the problems fixed, and most of the things addressed in this TSB were far cheaper to address than the $300-$3000 for new parts and labor costs some had encountered.. One also needs to be careful when attempting to have "recall" work performed, I've seen dealerships (admittedly, somewhat less than reputable) try to tell people that the timeframe for addressing the recall had passed, so they could fix the issue but the cost would have to be at the owner's expense. So by all means, anyone trying to use this info, please do so with the cautions addressed by Steve, but hopefully the info will help..
    Sometimes just showing up with donuts or muffins works wonders too. :shades:

• bbc3bbc3 Posts: 1
    Just reading here today and found your post succinct. So I will do the same. I have a 2004 Z71 (about 101K miles) tAHhoe to which I have really not had any issues to date, OTHER THAN I GET ABOUT 12mpg and from DAY ONE with NO HELP FROM GMAC...

Anyways, before I get upset again, I was drving down the road yesterday on the interstate. I was going about 77mph I think, and all of the sudden the car jerked forward slightly and I soon realized the engine was not running. All sustems appeared on, but I dont recall it the radio stayed on cause I was talking on the phone and had the volume down. But then the MSG indicator came up saying something about "Service Brakes" or "Check Break system". All still rolling along at 75 MPH with no power. And the Radio went from the Pearl Jam Channel on XM to the ELvis Channel... So I pulled the hazards and started to creep off the road, but quickly realized I could start in neutral so moved to neutral and cranked it uppulled it back down in drive (still going 55) and just hit he gas and went.
    That was the first problem I have ever had with mine that was significant.
    Yes these cars are having serious issues. My Wife's 2003 has had electrical problems it entire like and I am starting to think it has to do with door switch failures or malfunctions. NOT HAPPY ///
  • i have been having electrical problems with my truck since the day i bought it. You name the problem and i got it. Anyway, just recently i had my driver side door lose complete power to it. Now this has happened before but was self fixed after shutting the truck off for a while. I checked the fuse box that is located on the driver side by your left knee and blew the DDM fuse (driver door module). I replaced fused and still didn't work. I then removed the console which houses the buttons for the door locks, windows, side mirror etc. and noticed that there were 5 harnesses going to the buttons. I removed the harness connector labeled J1 (the biggest of the 5 connectors) and saw that it was completely fried and had that burnt plastic smell. Now, has anyone seen this? or know why this happened? I'm assuming it was drawing too much current. New harness??
  • Check the terminating resistor located on the rear cross member next to the spare tire. Should read 120-125 ohms. Little stinker causes lots of problems. Good luck
  • I have an 09 Tahoe with same issues, headlights flickering, locks going up and down, transmission shifting up and going from 60mph to 25mph in 5 seconds. Brought to local chevy dealer, they spent 6hrs w/two technicans on it checking all electrical connections. They switched out the negitive battery cable with new one. Running ok for now. You would think chevy would step up to the plate and recall these Lemon Tahoes!
    Glad to hear that the technicians got it working for you, lwynia. Keep us posted!

• First off, I am replacing my second door lock actuator. My Tahoe only has 38000 miles and of course is just out of warranty. Now my truck is sitting dead after only five days out of the dealer for an electrical issue. The wipers ran slow so I replaced the wiper motor. Now the GPS is freaking out, I am getting a service code, the wipers are freaking again and running super slow...and the truck won't start. This CANNOT be a fluke GM. I'm about to contact an attorney.