Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New TSX Owner Reports

2»

Comments

• johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    Congrats on the car. The sound is normal.
  • taekwonv82taekwonv82 Member Posts: 3
    Purchased an 07 TSX w/ navi a few weeks ago. Love the car but it seems like some things are changing as more miles are being put on. The steering wheel does not feel as rigid as before and tends to follow the road. (Crowning of road, bumpy unpaved roads) Is this normal, and can I expect any more slight changes in other aspects of the car?
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    I would take it to the dealer, steering shouldn't change over time for any car. Might need an alignmemt or something.
    I'm not sure what you mean by the steering not being as rigid, but keep in mind that the TSX is prone to some tramlining, that is, the car will tend to move with grooving and other imperfections in the road. It's part of what gives it its sporting nature, and is not uncommon in other cars of its ilk.

So things like pronounced road crowns, grooves worn into highways by repeated passings of other cars, will feel like they are pulling on the steering a bit. At the same time, the TSX's quick and responsive steering will shine during periods of spirited driving.

You will find that you get used to it as you drive the car more. A softer, more sedate auto would not be as prone to these things. It's just the nature of the beast.
  • rakudramarakudrama Member Posts: 5
    It was a few degrees below freezing this morning and my two week old TSX had the following problems:

1. Windows would not open. They appeared to be frozen shut. They would only open once the cabin was warm. The window motors seem to be weak, even though the engine was running (i.e. not simply a cold battery)

2. Washer fluid was frozen in nozzles until after over 15 minutes of driving.
  • taekwonv82taekwonv82 Member Posts: 3
    Are the 07 alignment specs different from an 06? I brought it into a dealer yesterday only to receive a call saying that their computer didn't have the updated specs. I'm bringing it to another dealer monday and they said the specs are the same. whos wrong?
    Windows freezing shut happens to a lot of cars, and washer fluid nozzles freeze up on lots of cars too.

These are problems?
    I wouldn't think alignment specs are different. The only difference between '06 and '07 are tire pressure monitors. I don't think anything else has changed.

In fact, I'd bet alignment specs are the same for all four years of the cars run.
  • happytsxhappytsx Member Posts: 2
    Hi All - I thought I would post again now that my 06 TSX (navi/auto) is 7 months old with 9500 miles on it. Still flawless, in fact its as tight and solid and perfect feeling as the day I got it. Its a wonderful car in every single respect and worth every penny they ask for it. Its *THE* no brainer at this price point!
    Safe driving and fun to us all!
  • tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    If your washer fluid is freezing, you do not have the correct type of washer fluid. This has nothing to do with the car, other than the fact that they are not heated.
  • notjafonotjafo Member Posts: 63
    and I enjoy driving this car as much as I did on day one, if not more since I'm way past the getting used to how it works and feels. Absolutely no regrets in having purchased the car as I am convinced that it is a great balance of size, amenities, performance, and price.
  • kb1098kb1098 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a 2007 ahead of the model change. While supplies are starting to become limited for 6MT + Navi, I found and liked Carbon Gray / Ebony.

I'm only a few days in but having fun. Very engaging 6MT (which the wife also likes) and the car feels spirited but well-mannered at all times. I drive mostly in town but take an expressway to drop off a daughter at school, and the car is equally fun in either environment.

No doubt part of my excitement is coming from a 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue, which actually was very reliable and a good car for so long. But the TSX seems to weigh significantly less and be much quicker though numbers don't indicate. This is a fun car that is also responsible and grown-up.

Needless to say, two days isn't much experience but I wanted to share initial thoughts. Way better than I'd have hoped to believe, and that's after living with my wife's very nice MDX for awhile. TSX power is fine, transmission is excellent, and back seat and trunk spaces are surprisingly large.

I'm glad I didn't wait a year until the spring 08 MMC, and hopefully the "minor" MY08 changes are just that. Regardless, I'm glad I got into a great car (and at a good price).
  • theamusetheamuse Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in the frustrating HFL world. I bought my 06 TSX in January 07. All went great for three months, then the HFL starting doing something weird when receiving calls. What I hear is a couple of rings and then a "bee-boop" like it is hanging up. You mention it might be transferring the call to my actual phone (a RAZR) and that sounds possible. What have you come up with to solve this problem. The dealer is clueless and told me it was because my phone was in a magnetic case (which it had been from day one). So not much help there. All suggestions welcome! Hanging up on my friends and family is not good.
  • gdoctsx1gdoctsx1 Member Posts: 60
    I have 11,000km on my car and just put the A-spec nickel finish rims on the car. Makes a big difference in the look. Love the car and everyday driving I still look forward to. I crank it out on the highway and love the performance (wish the redline went to 8000:)

Great car choice!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi - welcome to CarSpace! That poster hasn't logged in for several months so I'm not sure that he/she will see your message. Did you notice that the fix he/she found was to delete the profiles from both the phone and the car and then pair them up again? Did you try that?

Maybe someone else here has other ideas.
  • theamusetheamuse Member Posts: 2
    Hi! Thank you for the Welcome! I spent a couple hours at the dealer last week. The person there tried everything he could think of (including deleting the profiles from both phone and car and re-pairing). He was able to pair his "test" phone with my car and all was good. So I was basically out in the cold as far as help from the dealer--which I thought sad. I went home and got on the phone to my cell phone provider. After trying to sell me a new phone, I was finally able to get the person into trying to solve the problem. It turns out, that my phone (a RAZR)has a setting for the number of rings allowed on the "headset" before it kicks back to the phone. Apparently, my phone considers the car my headset. Hence, after a couple rings, the call was going back to the phone. I have no idea how the setting got changed on my phone--likely the imp of the perverse. The good news, all is well now! Maybe this info will help someone else.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Glad to hear you found the problem - thanks for the info!
  • ego29isteego29iste Member Posts: 45
    Glad to hear you are enjoying your ride. I had the same ride except I had a manual. Great car - very reliable. I traded it in for a BMW just today and was definitely very sad to let it go. It served me very well for the last 4 years. Definitely got attached to it.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I am also the proud owner of a 06 Milano red 6MT/wnav tsx, bought new 11/17/06. It now has 113,000+problem free miles. I have all the service done by a acura dealer I think is excellent. The car still has the original brakes. :)
  • rmittalrmittal Member Posts: 3
    It's actually my fathers, I'm in college so I get to drive it whenever I'm back. but oh boy, it's just so much fun to drive! really tight suspension and rock solid acceleration (esp for a 4 cylinder it's mindblowing). I can rip it around an onramp at over 45mph and there's still more room for speed, i just don't want to ruin the tire tread.

if you're teetering on the edge of purchasing this car, consider yourself tipped over to the side of PURCHASING THE ACURA TSX.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    My 06 Gray 6MT w/Nav is coming up on 28K trouble free miles.
  • jude2jude2 Member Posts: 3
    My pearl white 2006 went out of warranty in Nov, 2010 with just 29,000 miles. Took car in and, under warranty, had a new glove compartment put in and received a new battery. Otherwise, all has been great. Dealer service dept. did suggest, and I accepted, a trans flush for $200.00. Not so sure that was needed, tho'. Have to beware of curbs because of low front end. Otherwise, this has been a great car, is beautiful, and offers a very nice ride.
    A new glove compartment? Someone was too zealous getting to the cabin filter?
  • jude2jude2 Member Posts: 3
    I didn't know about a cabin filter, but I don't think that was the problem. The latch on the glove compartment has been problematic for 4 years, but the dealership wouldn't fix it 'unless it was broken.' Just before the warranty was up in November I stopped by the dealership at a time when the compartment absolutely would not open and had a service rep go outside to witness the problem. Voila! Permission for a new glove compartment. Persistence on my part was the only reason the dealership conceded to resolve the issue.
    I have had the same problem with opening the glove compartment. I rarely use it so never thought to have it replaced. The warranty on my 06 tsx went out when the car was 18 months old (50,000 miles). I also bought my car new in November 06. It now has almost 118,000 problem free miles-love it.
    I just can't imagine regular opening of the glove box would ever damage it in any way. It is very easy for a hurried unexperienced person damage it when trying to replace the cabin filter.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    edited April 2011
    The car is a little over two years old now. It has around 9000 miles. It is fun to drive for long trips - or any trip. Very comfortable car. Best mpg has been 33.5. Just have to be careful with that low front end.
  • glassblower1glassblower1 Member Posts: 12
    I considering a tsx wagon for utility, economy and fun to drive nature. I have a 2004 TSX that is still running strong; my son now has it at college. I have heard the wagon tends to be a bit underpowered. I'm not going to race it or anything, but I like a responsive car that can get out of its own way. Any tsx wagon owners out there care to comment?
    thanks!
    The wagon is no more under powered than your 04 TSX. All of the performance numbers are almost the same - the wagon only has to carry around a bit more weight (120lbs). The only diff is a slightly lower hwy mileage due to it being less aerodynamic.
  • jimsimp3jimsimp3 Member Posts: 11
    I took delivery on June 26, 2012. Experienced CHECk TRANSMISSION warning and also an PO741 error at 300 miles. First trip back to the dealer was a waste of time. They did not find any problems. The error message happened again repeatedly the very next fews day (over the holiday). I took it back on the 5th of July and the dealer has not solved the problem. 15 days of ownership and it has been in the shop for 7 days. :mad:

The loaner car, a new MDX also has some weird error messages occasionally and the CD does not work. The navigation system locked up yesterday briefly too.

Acura quality ?????? Things sure have changed since the first Acura Legend.
    WOW-Happy to report my 06 6MT tsx, bought new 11/17/06, has been problem free (knock-on-wood) Excellent car after 142K+miles. Has the original brakes.
    The score so far on my new 2012 Acura TSX Sportwagon

Days of ownership = 20
    Days back at dealership for problem = 12 :mad:

And I almost chose a Subaru Outback before buying this ......... but decided Acura quality control and reliability would be better. Ha!
    Got it back today finally. Drove it a few miles and got the same CHECk TRANSMISSION message and a PO741 error code. The dealer and Acura said it was fixed.

900 miles and going back to the dealer for the 3rd time.
    I made a formal request on Tuesday (07/17/12) using Acura's client service procedure for a new replacement vehicle OR a full refund. The response is forthcoming.

The dealer suggested that the transmission may have to be replaced. Not sure if that would correct the problem. I said that is not acceptable on a new car with 300 miles or less when the problem first occurred. They have had the car now 15 days since June 26th.

It is going to be interesting to see how well Acura stands behind their product.
    Acura has advised the dealer to replace the transmission. (that might fix it !) I still stand by my request for new replacement car OR full refund. Should have their answer early next week.

It is going to be interesting to see how they handle this. 300 mile on a new car and the trans goes out. They expect me to keep a "refurbished" car.

Attorney on stand by for legal action.
    brings back memories of a 03 hyundai sonata we had. It had less than 100 miles on it when the transmission locked up. The dealer would plug the car into the computer which would show codes-they would replace the parts. It would be good and then the transmission would lock up again. At about 4,000 miles Hyundai Corp. rep. came to the dealer and authorized to replace the transmission. I never trusted that car so we eventually traded it for a elantra with manual transmission. That car had over 100K problem free miles when we traded it for another sonata but with manual transmission.
    edited July 2012
    They replaced the transmission and drove it an additional 400 miles to test it.
    I am still waiting to see if Acura is going to stand behind their product and reputation by replacing the car.

Here is a summary so far:
    Miles on car when problem first occurred: 298
    Days since delivery = 34
    Days back at dealer = 27
    Miles driven by service department = 644
    Miles driven by owner = 735 (not counting trips back & forth to service department)

Trips Back to Dealer = 3. ( not counting the trip back to get a copy of the service invoice)
  • tsx6mtoileatertsx6mtoileater Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2012
    In NJ, 20 days at dealer is an automatic lemon.
    It takes time to fill out the paperwork but, once there is a court date they will be calling you to buy back the car.
    It is hard to believe that car companies need to have legal action to do the right thing.
    Acura has agreed to replace my TSX with another vehicle. The paperwork was started today 08/01/12. :) I am happy they have decided to support their product. They have been very professional and understanding.
  • nefariousnigelnefariousnigel Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2012
    I own a 2011 TSX 6MT. I drive in downtown Chicago almost exclusively although a good part of my driving is on Lake Shore Drive which is a sort of a min-highway with some stoplights (of course it is parking lot in rush hour traffic). So I'd say 60% is stop and go (literally) and the rest zipping in and out of 40-60 mph traffic revving the K24 liberally.

Despite the bad roads, rough commute, ridiculous extremes in weather (about 100 to 110 degrees a year), I have had NO problems, NO rattles, and NO reliability issues.

Well, okay..there is one issue...extraneous humming, popping, and banging using my iPhone 4S through hands free Bluetooth. There is some sort of electrical issue that is not ideal...but my calls are still legible. The TSX is also a a loud vehicle - not displeasingly so, but loud enough that the cheap microphone used for hands free sometimes has a hard time with voice commands...I often have to yell in numbers or commands to get them right.

I use the car as my daily commuter and also to ferry my kids to school and after school events. It is as solid a vehicle as they come. I've only changed the oil 3 times going by the maintenance minder (the last at ~19,500 miles) and it has shown no evidence of oil burning. Just a great overall car.

If I had any worries, it would be about clutch durability...I've heard some first generation TSXes have had premature clutch failure. While that could be due to the driving style of the owners, it is still a concern of mine even though I don't ride the clutch in any way and try to rev match downshift when I can (impossible in city traffic but possible otherwise). It's a sweet clutch and shifter and the problem has yet to pop up on 2nd generation TSXes (maybe too soon). We'll see.
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I can't seem to get a new thread starter today. Hopefully someone here can help. Right now when I open the door of my new wagon, the two dome lights which are very dull go on. Is there a way to have the map lights go on and off automatically when the dome lights do?
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    What dog barriers will work with the TSX Sport Wagon?

( can anyone help me find where the thread starter is?). I get the feeling that Edmunds is making it harder to post or even get to the forums easily.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    If you go to the top-level (look near the top of the page and click on the "acura TSX" link), there's a "start a discussion link".

Here's the top level for Acura TSX:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef16647/

We haven't changed anything in at least 5 years with regard to starting discussions!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews