Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inifiniti FX35 and FX45 Maintenance and Repair

13»

Comments

• shastasshastas Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. My tailgate already completely lacks assist from the struts, so no problem removing them for a while. Will have to get on it. Thanks again for posting.
  • susanfxsusanfx Member Posts: 1
    I have an '06 FX35 that will start right up 90% of the time but the other 10% will take 2-3 tries before it starts. The engine turns over but just doesn't start. I have had the battery replaced, an after market alarm removed (it was draining the battery), the B2 cam sensor and ECM replaced and finally the IPDM Fuel Pump relay replaced this past week. I was assured this fixed the problem but when I went out yesterday, the car wouldn't start again. When I take it in to the dealer it usually takes one to two weeks before they can replicate the problem before diagnosing. Has anyone had a similar problem that was fixed? :confuse:
  • nolicnolic Member Posts: 11
    Hi!

I've owned my 2004FX35 AWD with sport package for almost 6 years now and currently have about 80500 miles. Very happy with it and has not given me any problem except for the gas mileage consumption. I used to average 16 MPG but now it's down to 14 MPG. Tires are Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L (275/45/20) inflated to 34 PSI and used full synthetic (5W30) every 7500 miles. Does anybody have any recommendation to improve gas consumption? Any advise is appreciated.
  • stickyfeetstickyfeet Member Posts: 11
    Just bought an fx35 5 months ago after returning a bmw 525xi at lease end. very happy with the vehicle so far. The salesperson advised to use regular gas. What is everyone using....the filler tank read use premium gas only. Any thoughts?
    The regular gas works fine..no pinging. Will the lower octane damage the engine?
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    I have an '04 FX35 with about 85K miles on it. I used mid-grade for about six months out around 15K. Started having some engine roughness. Dealer said the cause was probably due to the lower octane. I switched back to premium and have never had another problem.

Do the math. If you use 1000 gal/yr and pay $0.30/gal more for premium over regular, that is only $300/yr. Why would you want to use low octane fuel that may cause deposits to build faster in your $45K automobile? In addition, I believe I get slightly better MPG using premium than mid-grade. It just doesn't seem cost efficient to use a non-recommended fuel grade.
  • dantedante Member Posts: 92
    I have a 2004 FX35 with 25,000 miles. Have always used medium-grade, runs perfectly well, no problems. Knock on wood. Still love the car (I have the sport package with the 20 inch wheels). Grips great, plenty fast, and good utility for what it is. And don't like the new re-design of the car so am keeping this one for a while... Good luck. Jon.
  • fxmercguyfxmercguy Member Posts: 7
    I also have an '04 FX35 with about 95,000 miles and have also always used middle grade (89 octane) gas. No problems at all. It runs fast and true. I get about 18mpg no matter how I drive, back roads or highway. Love the car! And I don't like the new redesign either, though I do like the upgraded dashboard layout, it's very similar to my wife's '07 M35X.
    I also have the same SUV (2004 FX 35 AWD Sport) and right side mirror is moving very slow. Did you ever find out what is wrong? Is it an electrical problem or maybe, the mechanism inside the rear view mirror may need some kind of lubrication. Please let me know.
    Sorry, never figured it out and since I am the only driver of my car, once the mirror is set it always works for me. Weird thing is that my driver seat memory now doesnt work, at least the front and back feature, everything else works? Good luck!
    Took my '04 FX35 in for the 90K service at the Houston dealer today. In addition to the prescribed maintenance, the tech recommended a brake fluid flush saying the fluid looked dirty. They did this same maintenance at 60K. Does anyone know if this is a normal maintenance item on an FX or are they just pumping the customer for extra maintenance dollars? I have never heard of cars needing brake fluid flushes unless there is air in the system. They also wanted to do a fuel injector flush saying the throttle body valve looked dirty when they tech cleaned it. I refused that saying I have seen no symptoms of injector fouling. The driver side air bag has also gone defective, which I have never heard of before. Replacement cost is $915. I do have an extended maintenance agreement, which covers that.
  • shastasshastas Member Posts: 3
    For the first several years we used premium. Then, reading the manual, I realized it said it was ok to use regular. I switched and my mpg went up more than 1mpg! Didn't notice any other changes. I was close to 20mpg for a while. Recently it has dropped a few tenths. Wondering if the car needs something.
  • kingandykingandy Member Posts: 5
    Sorry, you got taken for a ride. When you get bubbles, usually it's after maintenance - and you simply bleed the bubbles, not change the fluid. If brake fluid get's low, your pads are getting worn or you have a leak which needs to be fixed. If an airbag is defective, you get a dash light. I would write Infiniti a letter, personally.

Do be careful with brakes, if in doubt get a second opinion from a brake shop. I'm not a professional mechanic - but I do work on my own cars. Just sayin...
  • wolfie1wolfie1 Member Posts: 14
    I just had rear brakes done on my 08 fx35 awd sport (39k miles). They told me it only had 3.5mm left on the pads.

Cost was $330..to replace pads / cut rotors.

Seems high...anyone have a price to compare to (in the northeast)?

G
    Had my 2004 FX35 since 2004 and replaced the rear pads at 45K with a ceramic pad and now at 82K, need another one. Buy a Hawk PC pad for about $70.00 on the internet and have a repair shop install it for you for about $60.00. FYI, I replaced my front rotors and pads with EBC green stuff at 60K and so far it is still good, hope it last for 60K like the original. Infiniti dealership here in Virginia Beach, VA wants $290.00 to resurface and replace the rear pads.
    Thanks for the input, kingandy.

Since posting I have done some research. Googling "brake fluid flush" turns up a number of hits. Apparently, most manufacturers US and foreign, including Ford, but not GM, now recommend a brake fluid flush every two years or 30K miles. The reasoning is glycol-based fluids absorb water over time promoting corrosion and lowering boiling point. Modern ABS systems do not tolerate the rust well. Also, engine compartment temps are much higher today than in the past, which can exacerbate fluid degradation. Several references say brake fluid flushes are mandatory in many European countries.
  • twilliatwillia Member Posts: 29
    I have a '04 FX35. The vehicle will be six years old in a couple of weeks and it has around 68K miles. I took it in for its 67,500 maintenance and they told me the rack and pinion assembly needs to be replaced. They said it was starting to leak. I'm not overly knowledgeable on cars but I don't recall having to replace the rack and pinion assembly on either of my last two cars which each had over 100K miles when I got rid of them. Does it seem reasonable that at less than 70K miles the rack and pinion would need to be replaced? They quoted me $1650 for genuine Infiniti parts and $1150 for aftermarket parts. Do these prices seem reasonable?

Thanks.

Tony
  • jghayesjghayes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 FX35 with 90k miles. This car has cost a lot of money to keep running over time. It was fine for the first two years and was a lot of fun to drive. My suggestion is if you are planning on keeping it for any length of time then buy something else.

I am not hard on a car but here are a couple of the things that have gone wrong.
    Replaced the driver seat that broke (frame cracked, I am not that big)
    Sunroof broke
    Rear wiper replaced
    All 4 bearings went. My guess is they did not size them properly for the 20" wheels.
    Replaced all 4 rotors and calipers twice due to rusting (I just received an estimate of $2500.00 to repair)
    The gas gauge works intermittently (they want $300 to replace)
    Tie rods went bad.
    Heat shield on muffler rattles and had to be removed.

Go into it with your eyes open if you decide that this is the car for you. When I replace it I am going with a Jeep as my old Grand Cherokee cost me much less to keep running.
  • surfsupsurfsup Member Posts: 12
    Hi Susan. My FX35 has begun developing a similar condition. If it sits overnight, it's dificult to start the first time. I suspect it's the fuel pump. Did you ever diagnose and correct your problem?
  • audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    I have been having the same issue, have an '06 as well. With mine it seems to be directly tied to the temperature - the problem is much worse after sitting overnight in cold temperatures.

If it is 50 degrees or warmer it will either stutter a bit and then start or start normally. Or if the engine is warm from a previous drive in the past few hours the problem does not occur. But if the temp dipped overnight it may take 3 attempts to start.

Do you find it to be tied to the outside temperature as well?
  • audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    UPDATE

I had my battery tested today, and it did need replacement. Pep Boys said that it had been leaking. Since it was not actually dead yet they said that is why it did not have the classic "click, click" sound when it wouldn't turn over.

Anyway, looking forward to starting up the first time even in the cold :)
    I own an 04 FX35. About six weeks ago the rear hatch locked one day and could not be unlocked. The dealer replaced some type of controller card, and it worked OK for about two weeks. Then one day I opened the hatch, and it would not relock. The dealer replaced the latch mechanism, and it worked OK for about two weeks. Now the hatch latch will lock, but not snug the hatch up against the weather seals. The dealer is at a loss as to what is happening as is Infiniti tech service with whom they have been consulting. All this work has been done under my extended warranty.

Anyone out there had this problem and had it fixed successfully?
  • 04fx4504fx45 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 FX45, the rear latch is doing something similar, I can't get it to lock shut. The motor that pulls it tight and locks runs, and you can hear it pull the hatch, it just won't lock and keep it closed. I have been researching all over the internet about how to fix this, and can't find anything. Please let me know if you have found a way to fix this problem. Because I don't want to pay the dealership a ridiculous amount to fix it. Thanks for your help!
    Not sure I can tell you what to do. The dealer initially replaced some kind of controller card. Worked for while then failed again. Then they replaced the latching mechanism itself. On all visits if they took the controller card out and reset it, the problem went away. The dealer worked with Infiniti OEM tech support for two days they were at a loss. The dealer checked all grounds and circuits for continuity. It has been about two month since the problem last occurred. Neither the dealer nor I are completely convinced the problem is fixed, but you can't fix it, if it is not broken. Good luck.
  • koolingkooling Member Posts: 2
    I've reviewed some of the posting here and it has raised my intrest in the FX35. I'm looking for a used suv and ran across a 2003 FX35 with 141K @ $9000 is this a good deal? Besides the high miles what other types of problems have you owners seen? Currently I'm driving a 2000 Ford Taurus with 175K but want an SUV so this would be a step up but maybe not the best.

Note: The next 03 FX35 had 70k @ 17k.
  • fxmercguyfxmercguy Member Posts: 7
    I bought my 2004 FX35 in 2006 with 55,000 miles on it, now I have about 120k on it. It is a GREAT vehicle! The only issue I can say I have, since day 1, is the brakes. I believe they are undersized for the weight of this SUV. I often get warped rotors that need replacing and have done so a few times in the last 5 years. However, I finally just got smart and researched and replaced the rotors with aftermarket slotted and cross-drilled rotors and ceramic brake pads. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! So far, the new brakes are great. That said, the FX35 is great, FAST, very comfortable for long or short hauls, good for hauling stuff, very reliable, and great in the snow. I'd buy another....
  • koolingkooling Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the feedback FXMERCGUY.

Yes from all the post it seems that most if not all love the FX, I am a little scared of the mileage but I'm going to take it for a drive. So it seems the FX likes speed and to be driven.

The next FX for sale in my area is $16.9K with 70,000 miles, far different price but I think the FX at $9000 with the mileage may be a good value.

Again Thanks
  • gene28gene28 Member Posts: 9
    I have an EX35 2011 under warranty and I mentioned the sound that is made each time I break. I was told that cars just do this now that brake pads are not made out of asbestos! Nothing wrong with brakes. I find this hard to believe. I used this forum as it has more traffic than the Ex35 and I assume the brakes on all infinitis are the same. Anyone have any information on this? Thanks.
  • jmichelle12jmichelle12 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 FX 35. My dashboard looks like it has little bubbles all around the dash. Have you received a response from Infiniti about this issue? I want to know who to contact to get this resolved.
    Hi, I had a 2004 Infiniti FX35 that I loved but whose dashboard bubbled up like it had blisters. I was very unhappy about it as I otherwise loved the car. I called an Infiniti dealer to see if there had been a recall and they advised that Infiniti had agreed to fully replace the dashboard free of charge within certain timeframes from date of purchase, I believe. I was still within the allotted time frame and the dealer replaced the dashboard the next day. Looked a lot better but it does not perfectly match with the old dashboard and the leather on the passenger doors. It was explained to me that the original dashboard was made of leather and had a reaction with the glue so the replacement dashboard was of hard plastic, a slightly different color tone but definitely better than the bubbles. So, call your nearest Infiniti dealer and see if they can replace it for you. Jon.
  • skratkaskratka Member Posts: 6
    I have a 09 fx 35 with 32000 miles and technology package.
    The warning lights beep and flash on the dashboard for no reason. The traction control, iba, lane departure warning and a few other lights turn on and stay lit. Id think its a short circuit but its not kicking off a diagnostic code and dealer cant find.
    If i restart the car the lights go off but it happens again. The car drives ok though i dont know if the shorted out features are operating when lit.

Dealer is clueless and makes ip stories saying they "reset " the computers and other nonsense.
    Any ideas?
  • plw1529plw1529 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03' FX35 with 118k miles on it. I am having to add 5-6 qts of oil (5w-30 syth) every 1200 miles. This started around the 90k mark. The car is not leaking or burning oil from what i can tell and the dealership has not been any help. There are no other issues with the vehicle.

Is their anyone else out there having the same problem? Need to decide what my next action should be?