Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Compass Problems and Solutions

124»

Comments

• debwkdebwk Member Posts: 1
    THrilled to know someone else has that issue! No solution that I know of.
  • jennlikesyarnjennlikesyarn Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    If you don't feel like reading my whole post, this pretty much sums up my opinion of Jeeps right now: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

I just took my 2007 Jeep Compass in for inspection. As usual (which is sad), I expected at least $500 worth of repairs due to things other people have mentioned.

In previous years, it was the alignment being off and destroying my tires (I live in a very pothole-filled area, but being a Jeep, you'd think it would handle that well) and other similar issues. Last year, I was told my ball joints would need to be replaced by this year - which is true. $500 easily down the drain. But deep down, I knew there would be other problems because there always are.

In the past year, I've experienced other problems like my dome light leaking every time it rains, the car just randomly stopping while I'm driving, and the shift getting stuck in first gear and not being able to push it back up.

But on top of that, with just over 40,000 miles on the thing, I'm having transmission issues. Should a car that's five years old with 40,000 miles on it have transmission issues? Also, my brakes are dying and my front tires barely passed inspection - tires that I just got replaced last year - probably because of the alignment problems.

Someone else mentioned that it drives well in the winter, even without all-wheel drive. This much is true. But it's not worth the thousands of dollars I've now invested in repairs and the fact that every time it rains, I get poured on thanks to my dome light (which other people have posted about and there's no long-lasting fix for it).

Please tell me these common-for-a-Compass issues have been fixed in newer models because this is ridiculous.
  • rbortonerbortone Member Posts: 2
    I have an answer that I think will fix a whole range of Compass problems. I too have a 2012 Latitude 4x4. When the jeep was 4 weeks old I started experiencing all kinds of crazy problems. I would have to constantly re program the auto unlock feature-it would arbitrarily change from disabled to enabled almost on a daily basis. My low tire light would not go out even though I kept the tires at 32 psi. On top of that, I got poor 18 -19 mpg. I decided to go to the heart of everything, the engine compartment fuse block module. I tested all fuses with the ignition on but with the motor not running and I found many dead circuits. I removed the fuse block module (after having disconnected the battery) and checked all fuse block connectors which are on the bottom of the module. I found loose connector plugs and even a cheap one like the kind you can find on your computer motherboard. I examined the connectors, straightened out some bent pins and then made sure all connectors were tight and firm. Guess what, all the electrical problems went away and I now get 22 mpg around town. I'm sure that many Chryslers and not just Jeeps have this cheap fuse block syndrome. It's been one month since the fix and my compass is running beautifully.
  • rbortonerbortone Member Posts: 2
    #159 of 159 Re: 2012 Jeep Compass Latitude Bucking no power issue [cz33] by rbortone
    Nov 09, 2012 (8:52 pm)
    Replying to: cz33 (Jul 14, 2012 12:55 pm)
    I have an answer that I think will fix a whole range of Compass problems. I have a 2012 Latitude 4x4. When the jeep was 4 weeks old I started experiencing all kinds of crazy problems. I would have to constantly re program the auto unlock feature-it would arbitrarily change from disabled to enabled almost on a daily basis. My low tire light would not go out even though I kept the tires at 32 psi. On top of that, I got poor 18 -19 mpg. I decided to go to the heart of everything, the engine compartment fuse block module. I tested all fuses with the ignition on but with the motor not running and I found many dead circuits. I removed the fuse block module (after having disconnected the battery) and checked all fuse block connectors which are on the bottom of the module. I found loose connector plugs and even a cheap one like the kind you can find on your computer motherboard. I examined the connectors, straightened out some bent pins and then made sure all connectors were tight and firm. Guess what, all the electrical problems went away and I now get 22 mpg around town. I'm sure that many Chryslers and not just Jeeps have this cheap fuse block syndrome. It's been one month since the fix and my compass is running beautifully.
  • randifoxrandifox Member Posts: 2
    I just started a lease on a 2012 Jeep Compass on October 1, 2012 - about 2 weeks ago, I had the strangest thing happen. I went to put on my right blinker and my windshield wiper swiped once across the windshield. I thought I may have clicked the wiper by accident. I started driving with my left hand only, my right hand away from the wiper. It has happened numerous times since then, only swiping once across. Then the other night, I was turning right, the entire time I had my blinker on, my wipers were going. I turned off my blinker, the wipers stopped. What could this possibly be! Obviously a wiring issue, but has anyone else had this experience?? My service department at the dealership has AWFUL hours and I am having a hard time getting there for them to look at it.
  • christine32christine32 Member Posts: 1
    I have this same problem right now. It only happeneds when I am turning right. I happened to me 4 times today and i had to actually turn on my windshield wipers and then turn them back off in order to get them to go off. have you taken your jeep to the dealership to see what they say about it? When i took mine in the guy acted as if i was full of crap. They had my jeep all day and when I got it back later that day as I was turning right they started going again. The dealership claims that they changed out my turn signal which I hold the [non-permissible content removed] flag tall and high due to the fact when I bought the jeep it had a imperfection on the blinker knob. and guess what? its still there. Oh and to make matters even worse I bought this jeep brand new with 20 miles. I now only have 2200 and i got it in august.. so if you have any idea what it is please share. Thanks
  • randifoxrandifox Member Posts: 2
    Great! I'm not going crazy! It hasn't happened to me lately, but yes, it is only when I am turning right! And I've had it so bad that I, too, had to turn my wipers on and then turn them off to make it stop.

I haven't taken it to the dealer because my dealership has awful service hours (7:30-4:30 M-F only, Saturdays only for oil changes!) and with my job schedule, I haven't been able to get there during the week.

And yes, I started my lease in October and the problem started in late November! I wish I could help you figure out the problem, but if you do bring it back to the dealer with a successful end, please let me know what the cause is so I can hopefully let the dealer know in advance and hopefully skip having to leave my car there all day.

Or hopefully someone may have the solution in this forum!

Good luck!
  • pattik66pattik66 Member Posts: 1
    On January 3rd I brought my Jeep in to dealer because my 08 Compass would not shut off even after removing key. It would run and periodically the guages would all go crazy. After removing a battery connection, it finally stopped. Service did a flash to update pcm soft ware updated pcm voltage. $215.00

Ran ok for a week. Big rainstorm, and had the leaking map lights. Got to work again car wouldn't shut off. I didn't have the ability to pull any battery connectors so I called dealer and explained the car was doing the exact same thing the flash was supposed to fix. After a bit, they agreed to tow my car - as it was undrivable. Was bucking and lurching. While I was waiting for the tow, the engine began to overheat as I was sitting in the car _ big rainstorm going on outside. I popped hood to let the heat escape. When tow arrived, I observed the coolant boiling in the resevoir.

Next day, Dealer says that due to the leaking sunroof drains, it cuased a short in inte hpower connector - so they cleaned it all out. They did not charge me for this. Of note, a 26 power point inspection was completed.

Sorry this is a saga, but hang with me.

So I don't get car for a few days - it's a weekend...so I pick up car on Monday night, and it was very cold here in Texas. I only live a few miles away, so it drove home no problem...Go to work the next day and after driving for about 20 minute car starts overheating. I blast heat and open windows and this keeps the temp light off. If I turned down heat the temp light would come on.

After it cools off, I check the Antifreeze. There is none. Absolutely none. So much for the 26 point inspection (which they admitted was part of the inspection).

Here's my dilmena. They just called and told me the overheating caused the radiator cap to go bad, and that I need a radiator flush. It's not related to anything else, and is therefore not covered under my warranty (lifetime powertrain).

Is that correct? I can conclusively say that hte overheating was the direct result of the short which caused the car to run forever. If that hadn't been a problem, then this wouldn't be a problem. They are connected. they want to charge me $250 which I don't have.

I know this is long, but PLEASe if anyone can help me speak their language I would really appreciate it! And am I wrong? If I am, then ok, but ...I just don't think so.
  • jeepcompas2007jeepcompas2007 Member Posts: 1
    I need to boost my 2007 Jeep Compass (only -35 here in Ottawa, Canada) and car has been sitting in this weather since January 9th. I can't move the lever part that is under the hood. I have big hands so getting under the hood is a challenge.

Help, I really need to do this today.

Thanks,

Suzie

PS, I have read all of the posts and I've been lucky in that I bought mine in 2010 and all the repairs needed were done. I guess the previous owners got tired of spending so much money. To date I have been very lucky. Now if I can only get it going so I can make it to a doctors appointment.
  • randy124randy124 Member Posts: 1
    I am alittle worried after I just had this Electronic Throttle Control come on for the first time this Sat. afternoon. Just finished paying off my 2008 Jeep Compass North Edition in Dec.. No more warranty. Just getting off hwy and stopped at red light then when I went to go I had very low power to accelerate and notice ETC dash light on for the first time. Lucky enough the next street to turn off was very close as I very slowly drove to this next turn off.Then turned off Jeep - thinking it had over heated or maybe cruise control problem since I forgot to turn it off. I grabbed my owners manual to see what this dash light was to find out it was ETC. After waiting for over a minute I started Jeep since I had to get to a important meeting that was not to far from where I was. Jeep sat for about 1 hr. Drove around the city I was in with no problems. Then when I drove on hwy back home no problem until again getting off Hwy going home then exact same problem with same procedure to fix it. I took it into the Chrysler dealership here in my city to get fixed( Only $60) but when I looked at invoice there was no mention of work on Electronic Throttle Control but Flashed ABS module and no other codes and traction control light wasn't on when driven in shop. So I need to know if your Jeep got fixed and how. Please and Thank you.
  • mcjimbomcjimbo Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I bought a 2012 Compass Sport (2.0ltr, Auto 2wd model) in Nov last year and have had the same problem. My local dealership here in Australia have had the car 3 times since and haven't done anything to fix it as they 'can't find' the fault even after talking to Chryslers technical department. I'm going to be ringing Chryslers customer care and insist they take action by replacing the appropriate bits as I'm over it. Why I need to do this instead of my dealership is beyond me, as part of their customer service they should be doing it. I won't buy another car from them or Chrysler, despite actually liking the car. :mad:
  • alain2210alain2210 Member Posts: 1
    02/24/2013, Bay Area, I've got a 2007 Jeep Compass, 2.4, 4-cyl, automatic. After a 400 mile trip to Tahoe, the Electronic Throttle Control light and the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) lit at the light two blocks away from home. Engine made weird noises and almost no power. We made it home. I just started it today and there were no signals.

Any advice? Thanks.
  • jbpgh12jbpgh12 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same issue with my 2012 Compass. It started at around 2000 miles and took 4 dealers and many calls to Chrysler NA before the checked what I asked them to check. It wound up being the MULTI-SWITCH in the steering column. It is faulty. It won't show up when they scan the car for problems. It's a relatively easy part for them to replace and shouldn't take them long to replace it. Hope this helps.
  • jbpgh12jbpgh12 Member Posts: 2
    I absolutely can't stand my Compass. Bought brand spanking new and have nothing but problems with it. Now the issue is a strong smell of gasoline in the interior of the vehicle. It's really bad on the passenger side above the catalytic converter. My mechanic whom I've known my whole life says that there is no leak coming from anywhere. Since it's a closed system he is baffled as to where it's coming from. I've even had it professionally detailed with the carpets scrubbed, and I've removed the floor mats. Some days its worse than others but its getting unbearable. I've asked a few dealers but they say nothing is wrong with it because the computer scan isn't showing any codes. Didn't realize that computers could pick up smells, but that's what my local dealers think.
  • artyitalianartyitalian Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue !!! I brought it in to the dealership and they couldn't re-create it and no computer code comes up, so they said there's nothing they can do. Meanwhile, I'm scared to death when it happens. Everybody around me is accelerating, and my car is acting like a bucking bronco!! I don't know what to do.
  • james1979james1979 Member Posts: 1
    heelo, I have a 2008 jeep compass 4x4, and the red secutiy ligt and tpms light comes on and flashes and then goes out. the dealer has replaced the win module with no change and they don't know whats wrong. they say it is showing a fault for key 1 but the issue happens wioth both keys.. any help or ideas are apprec.
  • jc11compassjc11compass Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 compass and wondering if anyone else experiences this phenomenon. All factors being equal, correct tire pressure, using gas from the same station each time, no extra cargo, alignment okay, no A/C, etc. I get about 26-27 MPG in the city (freeway and city streets). But, when I've traveled from Orlando, FL to Savannah, GA the past 3 times my fuel mileage goes down, that's right goes down, to 24-25 MPG. The dealer can't find any codes in the computer or any malfunctioning parts. I've never owned a vehicle that gets lower MPG on the highway than in the city. Has anyone else experienced this or can tell me what might be affecting the highway MPG like this?
  • jc11compassjc11compass Member Posts: 2
    I tried cleaning the throttle body recently but was advised to no force open the butterfly to clean inside since it operates electronically. But, I was told if you don't clean inside that butterfly you haven't really cleaned the throttle body. Does anyone know how to safely open the throttle body to clean the inside without damaging the mechanism?
  • mpamovempamove Member Posts: 1
    Windshield Wipers go off for no apparent reason. Sometimes when I turn right, sometimes when I turn Left, sometimes just when I"m going straight. They go off mostly once, sometimes 2 to 4 times. It happens more in warmer weather. In winter they go of randomly every 200 to 400 miles. Now that its warm they go off randomly every 1 to 20 miles (even multiple times). Been to the Dealer twice and I'm bringing it back for a third time. The dealer is trying.... But Jeep doesn't seem to care.
  • ninja_7_1985ninja_7_1985 Member Posts: 1
    I have yet to experience a full loss of power as I just got my Jeep less than a month ago... However I have noticed the light flicker once and I seem to always have more of a lack of power rather than a loss when I really wanna get moving quickly... Seems to not be a fan of higher RPM's... Have you experienced this as well? :confuse:
  • shanbieseshanbiese Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 Compass (40k miles) last week and not even a couple days later I started having problems. I got drenched from the leaky map lights, the floor on the driver's side is soaked.. and it hasn't rained for at least three days, when it gets hot out the black plastic cover on the bumper warps and the liftgate won't open. I haven't been able to call the dealer yet due to work hours and their hours. Hopefully they're not complete dingbats about it (yeahh I can wish, right?) But by the looks of all these other problems, I'm not looking forward to dealing with it. Wish me luck! :confuse:
  • kramerelainekramerelaine Member Posts: 1
    I hope that I'm not too late to join this thread as I appear to have a similar problem with my 2013 Jeep Compass.

It currently has 3000 miles. Approximately 2 months ago, we noticed a 'whistling' sound while accelerating between 15-40mph. It is extremely annoying and we've been back to the Jeep dealer whom we bought it from several times. They assured us that the sound was 'normal' due to the CVT transmission. I've asked why the sound was NOT present when we purchased the vehicle and they assured us that it was due to the car 'settling in' and it having more miles on it. I have test driven several of the same dealer's 2013 Jeep Compasses and none have had the same whistling sound. All of their explanations and reasons for the whistling have been very vague and leads me to not believe what they are telling me.

After my last visit with the dealer, they recommended that I call Chrysler's customer service - which I did. They explained that they had NEVER heard this complaint before and that there was nothing that they could really do. They suggested that I get a 2nd opinion from a different Jeep dealership - which I did.

After visiting a 2nd Jeep dealership, they confirmed that they heard the same noise but that the sound was NOT normal. But because they cannot recreate the sound when the vehicle is sitting idle in the factory, that they could not identify much less repair the sound. Their only suggested was to drive the Jeep more miles and wait to see if the sound 'disappears by itself' or 'gets worse'.

Now, it appears that I'm left with literally no alternatives to have the whistling corrected OR even a correct diagnosis as to what it is because the 2 Jeep dealerships are telling me the exact opposite thing.

I've been told:
    •the transmission is fine
    •fluid levels are fine
    •no other seals, tubes, or vacuum system(s) have been jeopardized.

I would GREATLY appreciate anyone's feedback and suggestion with this. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Unhappy Jeep Compass Owner
  • compass12compass12 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know if anyone has the same issue im having with my 2012 compass. while the car is in drive and idling it vibrates on the steering wheel.Is this normal ? Also when I turn on the heater or the a/c the vibration increases . I had taken the car to two dealership and no one can find any problem with it. I sent an email to Chrysler and told me that they couldn't help me with the issue im having with the car and to try going to another dealer to get it check.
  • allwrappedupallwrappedup Member Posts: 1
    I have had numerous problems - windows not working, rust, light issues, balljoint issues,
    cat conv-eng light code off and on. , inside lights go off and on (knobs), and slow uphill kicks in randomly with stick?

DO NOT BUY

NO HELP FROM CHRYSLER DEALER AND LOW OFFER TO TRADE IN -THEY DONT WANT THEIR OWN JUNK BACK !!!

FAMILY ALWAYS HAD JEEPS BUT THIS IS BY FAR THE WORST and LAST....
    STILL LOOKS GOOD THOUGH AND LUV THE 4WHEEL DRIVE WHEN ITS NOT IN SHOP!!!

:lemon: :lemon:
  • user2600844user2600844 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 2012 Jeep Compass with the same problems. Could you please give me your last 8 on your VIN, so I can tell Chrysler customer service to look into yours for verification also, they told me the same no one else has complained, my info is down below.
    Everyone with this problem needs to call Chrysler Customer Service 1 800 334 9200 and report it, as CVT Transmission overheats, slows down, High RPM, and high pitch noise. The more we call the more they will look into it. Also ask them if there has been any others with similar problems on their computer, if they say no, they are lying. Tell them to look into the last 8 VIN number
    CD588748 , which is my vehicle, and then ask them why they are lying? We need to all come together on this. I know they are lying, because there are youtube videos and forum complaints. Now you know why they are replacing them on the 2014 models.

If anyone has fixed this through the dealer or by calling Chrysler, please post any and all information of your last 8 VIN, reference #, dealer, ect. so we can all reference off of it. Thank you.
  • grammielil4grammielil4 Member Posts: 1
    My new jeep compass first trip...the power outlet didn't work and most annoying "wind rushing through on drivers side. we checked id window was up and repeatly kept shutting door..no relief. somewhee either door or window doesn't create a seal. Ed Shultz seen it 3 times and Jeep juxt more or less says to bad. Anyone out there with same problem? Vacation/long trips are out. Shultz said all compasses have a sael problem..please any ideas?
  • bchaffin13bchaffin13 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I do feel you on this. I bought my 2013 jeep compass 50 days go it has 4000 miles. I have three window seals peeling away. When I brought this to Chryslers attention they said it was normal. Then not even a week later I noticed when my engine was cold and I started it then after a minute of running I turned it off it would shake the whole jeep and make clicking noises. I took it back to where I bought it they looked at it and told me Chrysler said it was normal for a 4cylinder to do this. I said that Ed not acceptable to me and took it to another dealership only to find out it is a computer problem. So now after a lot of fussing at Chrysler they are fixing the computer problem but will only fix one window seal. I will not stand for that either. Good luck I want to get a new jeep compass I think mine is defective
  • grammielil5grammielil5 Member Posts: 1
    I sincerely wish you luck. They wouldn't do anything for me even after 3 service trips and numerous e-mails and phone calls to Jeep. I took about 3000.00 loss and had to buy Subaru...I just think everone with these problems need to post it everywhere on internet and with the BBB. Eventually the people who rates cars will address this problem.
  • bluemeowbluemeow Member Posts: 1
    If I were you I would see if you can return you compass. mine did the same it was the transmission, the dealership didnt tell me what was actually wrong just tried to charge me a fortune to fix nothing that was actually wrong. The car eventually went and I was stuck on the side of a high way in the canadian rockies. NOT FUN. I will never buy a jeep or dodge ever again after being treated the way I was by the dealership. They actually laughed when I told them because they didn't do their job I was stranded, and offered no help not even calling ahead to another dealership to see if they could take good care of me for their mistake.
  • usacargirl3usacargirl3 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Compass in 08, it was a 07. Thinking I wouldn't have the problems I've been having right now.... I've almost overhauled the front end suspension.... Only have the inner tie rods to replace. That's not before the struts, rocker arms and outer tie rods.... Not only that, I'm having headlight problems and what I think window problems from what I've read. My husband and I are stumped on the these god forsaken headlights... WTF is going on? Low beams don't work now but high beams work. High beam has blown out on the other side(so thank god I'm not high beaming everyone while I drive). When my husband looks it up, it's this wallet gouging price to fix cause we can't find the tool to fix it ourselves other than going to dealer. What can I do?????HEEEEELLLPPPP!!!
  • jeep1122jeep1122 Member Posts: 2
    I too have 2012 Comapss and have that whistlig issue. I have taken it in several times...and I was lucky during the ride along it happened. But like you said they were unable to get it to do again. They told me that they made a report on this and hope that Jeep will see there IS a problem and to fix it !!! There are several other issues I have had with this. Also after the recall for the gas sensor my Jeep wont start the same. There are times it acts like it having a hard time starting. The Jeep dealer I took it to fix the recall said there is nothing wrong. I said it NEVER did that before and now it seems everytime I have Jeep touch my car something doesn't work the same. The muffler is louder and they said it all good. It is either people just do not want to take the time to fix it...Jeep says just do not touch it.
  • jeep1122jeep1122 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue...and the dealer told me that same thing. It is "normal" Would like to have it fixed !! I have serveral other issues with my jeep....grrrr
  • user2600844user2600844 Member Posts: 2
    kramerelaine, what is the last 8 of your VIN on your jeep, would like to reference your vehicle also, as they say they have never had any reports like this. Thank you
  • jhoelonjhoelon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 Compass with 17k miles and still under factory warranty, just purchased from a private owner. The issue I have is one similar to the one described above where something always "clicks/claps" for a few seconds every time I turn the engine off.

They told me at the dealership that it was normal function after that particular part comes to an full "off" state. I do not believe it. I does not make sense and I never experienced that with any other vehicle I have owned.

Any insight on this? Thanks in advance.
  • lbd317537lbd317537 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    Have had the vehicle for less than 6 months and it has more issues than any other vehicle I have owned.

Problem #1 High pitched whistling noise from the engine area, noticed the day after I bought it
    It took over 3 weeks to "fix" the problem and that was after they said it was fixed on two separate occasions. Final diagnosis was something with the throttle body but they had to call in a special mechanic from the manufacturer to get the noise to go away.

Problem #2 Noise when turning the steering wheel left
    Took the vehicle in a couple of days ago, they said it was because my power steering fluid was low.

Problem #3 Went to pick up the vehicle today and there was a loud noise coming from the engine area when I started it; this happened the other day but went away after the car warmed up. So I left the vehicle there for repair.

I am so fed up with this vehicle, it clearly is not a reliable car. I called the Chrysler Group LLC Customer Care line today (877-426-5337) and asked what my options were. The lady was very nice and was able to see my repair/problem history. She called the dealership and got the shop foreman involved. I'm sincerely hoping I have no more problems with this jeep but in the event that I do I will be demanding the vehicle be bought back.

I will never buy another jeep again. :mad:
  • frustrated007frustrated007 Member Posts: 1

Bought a Jeep 2012 Compass fully loaded and have numerous problems.
    1. Loss of power when accelerating. Started when vehicle was new, was told that it was normal and it was the transmission and thats how it worked. Vehicle at times was actually doing 25 on highway. Towed three times to dealership. (after third said a corroded wire in fender well. Vehicle under 20,000)
    2. Wont start, towed to dealership, replaced starter, happened again, replaced radio (no Kidding).
    3. squeak in rear end under 1,000 miles. Replaced suspension parts, told it would wear in. Still squeaks.
    4. shakes when at a stop sign, enough that the side mirror vibrates and you cant focus through it. Was told by service manager not normal, then after they had it for two days was told by same individual that the main plant told him to say it was normal.
    5. Option with tow package, no hitch only wiring harness. Found out that Jeep is the only one who could install because of computer configuration that needed done to vehicle, Cost additional $300.00 in labor to have installed.
    6. Blue tooth inop. Had same replaced under warranty, said vehicle wasn't equipped with right radio. Had it on my options I paid for but dealership had to be told by Main plant to do same. New radio (afore mentioned) out dated and has to be up graded. Still haven't received the up grade.
    7. Average 19mpg. Never has gone above. They said it was my driving habits. Wanted me to have a service to rectify the milage (service that wasn't due). Of course it was expensive as hell. Still 19mpg.
    9. Whistling noise from engine when accelerating from stop. Told normal.

I have owned three other Jeeps, and had no problems. I currently have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has 230,000 and love it. Sadly I will never buy another. Tried to trade this compass in and was floored by the loss in value. They are crap and the dealers know it! 35,000 miles and it's a paid off grocery getter, cant trust it for trips. No longer a Jeep fan!!

• jarteagajarteaga Member Posts: 1
    I am having an issue with a Jeep compass 4x4 2008 as the 4x4 has been turned on all by its self, I cannot find a way to turn it off and it is driving me crazy, any suggestions on what can be the cause of this and what steps should I take to disable the 4x4 feature?
  • pathoscafepathoscafe Member Posts: 1

I hope that I'm not too late to join this thread as I appear to have a similar problem with my 2013 Jeep Compass.

It currently has 3000 miles. Approximately 2 months ago, we noticed a 'whistling' sound while accelerating between 15-40mph. It is extremely annoying and we've been back to the Jeep dealer whom we bought it from several times. They assured us that the sound was 'normal' due to the CVT transmission. I've asked why the sound was NOT present when we purchased the vehicle and they assured us that it was due to the car 'settling in' and it having more miles on it. I have test driven several of the same dealer's 2013 Jeep Compasses and none have had the same whistling sound. All of their explanations and reasons for the whistling have been very vague and leads me to not believe what they are telling me.

After my last visit with the dealer, they recommended that I call Chrysler's customer service - which I did. They explained that they had NEVER heard this complaint before and that there was nothing that they could really do. They suggested that I get a 2nd opinion from a different Jeep dealership - which I did.

After visiting a 2nd Jeep dealership, they confirmed that they heard the same noise but that the sound was NOT normal. But because they cannot recreate the sound when the vehicle is sitting idle in the factory, that they could not identify much less repair the sound. Their only suggested was to drive the Jeep more miles and wait to see if the sound 'disappears by itself' or 'gets worse'.

Now, it appears that I'm left with literally no alternatives to have the whistling corrected OR even a correct diagnosis as to what it is because the 2 Jeep dealerships are telling me the exact opposite thing.

I've been told:
    •the transmission is fine
    •fluid levels are fine
    •no other seals, tubes, or vacuum system(s) have been jeopardized.

I would GREATLY appreciate anyone's feedback and suggestion with this. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Unhappy Jeep Compass Owner

Same problem with my 2013 Compass. Have the noise (I call it "whirring") over about 2 RPMs. Had to replace the transmission last summer (it wouldn't shift into first) at about 70,000 miles., Then transmission oil warning light started coming on this summer. Aamco said the CVT transmission needs an after-market transmission cooler--which I did, but the same light came on the next day. They told me to replace the transmission (again!)which I did--and light still comes on. (PCM also went out in the middle of all this.) I now think I didn't need a new transmission this time--I think transmission just overheats when weather is really hot! Still whirrs and acts weird over 2 RPMs but light has't gone back on since temperature has dropped. I keep it under 2 RPMs as much as I can... And now the ESC (electronic stability control) light is on and steering is weird. I hate this car!! Any thoughts on ESC or over-heating transmission oil welcomed!!
  • katlady777katlady777 Member Posts: 3
    New to this site. I have a 2014 Jeep Compass and I had the same whistling sound. I took it to dealer and was told it was the wind against the car. They adjusted the side molding and that was a wrap. I dont hear it now but I think its because I'm used to it and learned to block it out. My concern now is my muffler, at least thats what I think it is. I'm having loud rumbling sounds from under the back seats, it drives me crazy. It gets louder as I accelerate and the rumbling/groaning sound slows down with the vehicle and at a stop - nothing.
    What in the world? Does anyone know if this could be the muffler?
    jhoelon said:

I have a 2013 Compass with 17k miles and still under factory warranty, just purchased from a private owner. The issue I have is one similar to the one described above where something always "clicks/claps" for a few seconds every time I turn the engine off.

They told me at the dealership that it was normal function after that particular part comes to an full "off" state. I do not believe it. I does not make sense and I never experienced that with any other vehicle I have owned.

Any insight on this? Thanks in advance.

I hear the same thing in mine (2014). I know the noise you are talking about and I do believe its
    just "shutting down."
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yep, that's called "heat sink" and its various parts of the engine expanding and contracting a little bit.

New to this site. I have a 2014 Jeep Compass and I had the same whistling sound. I took it to dealer and was told it was the wind against the car. They adjusted the side molding and that was a wrap. I dont hear it now but I think its because I'm used to it and learned to block it out. My concern now is my muffler, at least thats what I think it is. I'm having loud rumbling sounds from under the back seats, it drives me crazy. It gets louder as I accelerate and the rumbling/groaning sound slows down with the vehicle and at a stop - nothing.
    What in the world? Does anyone know if this could be the muffler?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might have the truck run up on a lift and check for bad wheel bearings or differential bearings.
  • geert78geert78 Member Posts: 1
    hallo
  • shea123shea123 Member Posts: 1
    It seems I may be the only satisfied Compass owner here. I own a 2008 which has just under 160,000 miles. I do mostly highway driving and get up to 34 mpg, but 30 is more typical. I found this forum when I searched for longevity of the CVT transmission. Mine is being replaced as I type. THE air intake manifold also needed replacing this week to pass the CA smog test. Front brakes are original and back brakes were replaced about 12,000 miles ago. Sunroof doesn't leak....but we don't really get much rain. Haha. Based on my experience, I would recommend the Compass.
  • PhyllisjeanPhyllisjean Member Posts: 1
    My heat has went out in my 2015 Jeep Compass twice I took it to the dealer they fixed it now out again no warranty going to cost a lot to fix it with only 45,000 miles on it I am sick will not own another. Their have been a couple other things to go bad with it