Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Xterra Maintenance and Repair

124»

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to have a look at Maintenance Schedule.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Wild guess - engine mounts? Do you hear the noise when you go over bumps or dips in the road?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • cmalacmala Member Posts: 1
    Bite the bullet and have the timing belt replaced. They can do the water pump and replace all the belts at the same time. This is an "interference engine" which means that if your belt breaks (like mine did) you will be pulling the heads and replacing bent valves (like me)

Not an easy DIY job but about a $3000-$4000 job at the shop.
    Timing belt replacement is around $800 at the shop.
  • usssharpeusssharpe Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2002 SE 5 speed Xterra. LOVE IT!!! I just turned 90,000. No issues until last year. I have started to hear rattling, squeals and "metal screeching" from the engine. Cold mornings make it a definate action. At first notice I mentioned to my mechanic who started diagnosising belts...replaced all, then pulleys...replaced all, distributor rod (not replaced due to cost), and then the SuperCharger was mentioned. There was a Bulletin posted by Nissan (shown to me by mechanic) but the symptoms they describe do not seem to match mine. In last couple months power loss on loads has been very intermittent. The "Service Engine" light blinks but codes are not recorded. The noice seems to be getting loader and lasting longer. Now its being diagnosed as the SuperCharger bearings after disengaing the SC belt and not having the sounds. Replace it? Can SuperChargers be rebuilt?Anybody with any information? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading this long winded post.
  • pitadavispitadavis Member Posts: 2
    I too have had to replace my high pressure hose four times on my 2000 Xterra. I filed a request with Nissan to have them pay for my last repair because it was clear to me that this part should have been recalled, but was told that since I did not pay a dealer to fix my car the last three times (the first the dealer replaced while under warranty) that they would not repair it for free. I also had to fix my driver side window two years ago.
  • xtierraxtierra Member Posts: 55
    its a simple visual check, drive for 40 minutes and open the hood and see if the fluid is boiling inside the container...... if its boiling/bubling then its time to change. you can use nissan power steering fluid or nissan atf. if you cant afford to have it flushed, you can remove the fluid from the container using a turkey baster and add new fluid... then start engine and turn wheel left to right many times..... inspect color of fluid.. should look dirty.... stop engine / remove fluid in container again and start engine and turn wheel left to righ many times....... continue doing that untill you are satisfied with color in container. i also did that for my brake fluid... although you should never mix power steering fluid with brake fluid it can cause the seals to fail in the brake system..... so get another turkey baster.
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    Anybody knows how involving serpentin belt replacement on Xterra is? I have 2007 with 30K miles on it and i was told by the dealer that it's getting cracked. From visual inspection it looks like it does start to show signs of wear - nothing urgent but will need to be replaced relatively soon. I'm in CO and belts tend not to live too long because of dry climate.

Shops want too much for the service and I've done it before on other cars - wasn't a big deal, but I'm not sure if there are pulleys on Xterra which I can just depress to get the belt out and then snap the new belt in or I actually have to remove the components to replace it. Can't find any service manuals for that year to explain the process.

UPDATE: Found the manual: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/xterra/2007_Xterra/em.pdf

The question now is how difficult it is to remove the air duct and air cleaner assembly as required by the manual.
  • willowkatwillowkat Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys...

I'm new here but trying to figure out if my water pump is bad. What are the symptoms & signs that your water pump is going bad? When I come to a complete stop I hear a winding almost like a belt is too tight sound. Can't really describe it but I was by a Tire Kingdom yesterday and one of the mechanics said it sounded like someones water pump is going bad. Where is the water pump located in the 2005 Xterra's, we are hearing the noise from under the hood. Thank you for your help.... :)
  • doninil1doninil1 Member Posts: 2
    On the interstate with recirculation on (worse if it's not) my 2 right vents blow cool and the 2 left blow warm. It's not all the time and I can't figure out a pattern. Drove 200 miles yesterday that way. Stopped for 3 hours and drove 1 hour, it worked fine.
    Stopped for 3 hours and drove 1.5 hours it worked fine. Stopped for gas and then drove an hour with the problem. Turned it off while driving for about 10 minutes, turned it on and it worked fine. When it works it freezes you out! The dealer ship is looking at it this afternoon. I just wanted to see if anyone else has experience the problem.
  • grusongruson Member Posts: 17
    I have never owned a 4x4 before...do you have to do any additional maintenance on it?

Thinking of getting a 2009.

Thanks!
  • chukar1chukar1 Member Posts: 7
    took our 2009 xterra in for its first oil change at the local nissan dealer. We had bought it out of town. Drove it home, noticed smoke, I mean a lot of smoke coming out from under the engine. Popped the hood, spilled oil from the change all over the engine, but the oil cap was on. Whoever changed it was a total slob. Let the car cool and then checked the dip stick, WAY over filled, above the top line. Rechecked the receipt and they had put 6 qts in instead of the 5 3/8 max that Nissan calls for. I called them and on Monday took it down (of course this all happens on saturday pm). It was like pulling teeth to get them to drain the oil and put the appropriate amount in. Has anyone ever had a service manager tell them "it doesn't matter it its overfilled with 1/2 quart". I about dropped. Do you have to take it to the dealer to get regular oil change maintenence done and still have the warranty be in effect? I think our local Jiffy Lube does a better job. Anybody ideas?
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    It seems that many places overfill engine oil, dealers or other. Yep, it's hard on engine seals because the system overpressures. There's no excuse for a dealer though as they work on the same models all day long. I read a marketing statistic that said most people that change their own oil do so NOT to save money, but do so in order that the job is done right.

I let the dealer do all of the warranty-required oil changes to avert a warranty fight should an issue surface. The law is on your side if you let someone else do it or do it yourself, but you must keep all the receipts and be prepared for a bigger fight if something happens. I do all of my intermediate oil changes (every 3,750 Miles) myself and have for 30 years. I use factory filters to keep the changes I do a secret to the Dealer.
  • tuan9591tuan9591 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2002 nissan xterra. 125k miles. 6 cylinder. last nite while i was driving my car suddenly the (service engine soon) light on and @ the same time the overheat meter on to max hot. I really dont know wat is goin on. Anyone here has known this problem before please tell me wat to do.
    Sincerely
    tony
  • deecee5deecee5 Member Posts: 6
    Hi - I'm the original owner of a 2000 Xterra SE 4x4. Lately, my speedo, tach and temp gauge intermittantly stop working. I've heard this can be a circuit breaker in the instrument panel that goes bad. Any ideas? Has anybody had this problems and fixed it themselves or had the dealer do it. Thanks, DC
  • xtierraxtierra Member Posts: 55
    replacing the cerpentine belt is very easy..... you must remove the air filter box and the nissan plastic cover on top of engine if your model came with it..
    i used my cell phone to take a picture of how the belt went on...... (your manual has a drawing).
    i used a socket wrench (normal size)-the square piece where you put the various size fittings that attach to the wrench....will fit into the square hole on the pulley.... you simply push your square fitting into it and push down.... this will release the preassure and allow the belt to come off..... that is very easy.... it just takes a little time to remove air filter box and engine cover.
    Thanks! I was a bit concerned about removing the air filter assembly. It seems like it consists of a number of small components.
  • tjwolptjwolp Member Posts: 1
    So tired of these silly games...

I go in to talk about buying an Exterra and I end up being in there a couple hours because the salesman has to go back and forth to the "manager". Well the salesman, Damon, tells me we are close to a deal but I decide to take a day or two and think about the deal. I actually thought they would call me back, which they didn't. I end-up calling back over to Damon and ask for his best price and he tells me he will call me back. 30 minutes latter Jimmy, "the manager" calls me back to tell me how popular the car I want is and that dealers all over the area have asked specifically for this car and there won't be any more '09 Exterras delivered and bottom line....the car I want is now $2,000. more than it was a few days earlier with Damon.

What horseshit.
    Sometimes I think the greatest problem with the auto industry isn't it's products -- it's salespeople. We bought a car for my wife five years ago (not a Nissan) and dealt with a number of dealership people who had seemingly dropped out of school during the 8th Grade. It was maddening and I share your frustration.

Your Dealer is right that the '09s are no longer made. Most manufacturers shut down their assembly lines for a period during the summer to set up for the new model year and to let existing inventory sell off a bit more.

Good luck in your purchase, whatever you settle on.
    Even if '09 Xterras are not manufactured anymore (which probably is the case), it doesn't mean you have to pay 2K extra. It actually means you have to pay less as dealers have to clear their inventory for '10 models (which won't have the incentives of the '09 models).

Just go to another dealer and as them to "look around" - they can trade between themselves from around the state (or even neighboring states). You can also try carsdirect where they will find you the dealer with the car available.

I've gotten my '07 Xterra in September of 2007 and, naturally, '07 models were not made anymore. Well, my dealer wanted to make a deal so they looked around and got me 3 to choose from. I called several dealers and whoever gave me the best price for one of those 3 got my business.
    Shoppers can also visit Nissan USA and look at Dealer inventories anywhere. It's a great feature and you're not dependent on a salesperson's agenda.
  • steve702steve702 Member Posts: 1
    turn the key and you hear the starter just clicking. changed the ground cable and the positive terminal lug and tested the battery with a load (read good). still does the same, so i changed the starter and still does the same. i drove it saturday with no problems and i didn't show any signs of either going bad. now, i did have problems with it starting several weeks ago. i would turn the key and nothing would happen, then i would thump the stick in the park position and it would start fine......at my wits end trying to figure this one out...HELP!......just to add some more info....just found the valet key and it still did the same....rules out the sensored key being bad.
  • np250np250 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I too am having the exact same annoying issue with my 2008 Xterra. Had 7k miles on it when I bought it, and now has 20k . The VDC and slip lights have been coming on intermittently since I've owned it. Lights stay on for a few driving cycles, then reset themselves for about 2-3 weeks, then come back on. Been to the dealer numerous times. Initially, they replaced the steering angle sensor (all repairs are under warranty of course) and reset the lights. Lasted about 2 weeks. Upon return to the dealer, they said because we had aftermarket daytime running lights installed (US truck in Canada) they wouldn't repair it because of the "modified" electrical system and possible interference with the trucks computer (can't see the connection, but I'll play the game). So, the daytime running light module was removed, and about 2 weeks later, no surprise, the VDC and slip lights came back on. Back to the dealer, where the steering angle sensor was replaced for the second time. They said, maybe, the first replacement sensor was faulty(?). So far so good, no recurrence over 2 days driving, but we'll see in a few weeks.
    When the VDC and slip lights are on, the traction control system is disabled completely. I live in Canada and drive on snow covered roads for 4 months of the year. Believe me, 265hp, rear wheel drive, and snowy conditions without traction control can be exciting, to say the least! Serious safety issues with this recurring problem may lead to liability issues if someone gets hurt.
    If anybody knows of a sevice bulliten on this issue, please post the information.
    My dealer actually told me that there were NO reported cases of this same issue in North America!! Obviously, they don't read this forum.
  • brurties72brurties72 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 Exterra and intermittingly all of the gauges (speedo,temp,gas,rpm, all gauges) goes out for a few seconds then I have to hit the top of the dash to get them to come back on again. I wrnt to the dealer and they told me that it was possable that it was the computer that was out but they would have to take the dash apart to really know what is causing it. They said they havent heard of that happening b/f.
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    when you add to the auto matic fill on the tranny with recomemded say dextronii, does it go into the transfer case as well or do you need to open a plug and drain and refill it with dextron, just the transfer case? I never owned a 4 wheel drive before so my questions may sound off the wall, but if there is any to know about cars I been there done that. thanks
  • mysportmysport Member Posts: 19
    Ours went on a '06 manual 4x4. Had to spend $500 to fix to get the idiot lights to turn off. After a clutch replacement at 7K that wasn't covered under warrantee ($1200) CANNOT WAIT to get rid of it :lemon: while gas prices are low.....
  • wmiddywmiddy Member Posts: 1
    My Xterra recently hit the 100,000 mile mark. I ahve replace3d brakes, wheel bearings, alternator, starter, and most fo the fuel injectors. What preventive maintenance should I perform at this point ??
  • hmporritthmporritt Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: My 2006 Xterra has been making a whining noise only when I accelerate. It seems to be getting worse and has become very annoying. Does anyone know what this is and how it can be solved?
  • mlynn2003mlynn2003 Member Posts: 3
    Hey all! I was curious how the xterras handle on icy and snowy roads? I currently live in the mountains of Idaho. I am a previous owner of an Xterra but had it while I lived in a dry & warm climate. Loved my old xterra, not liking my 1yr old Rogue. Would appreciate any feedback on how the xterras handle the road conditions listed above. Thanks!
    it could be the timing chain tensioner
    well my pathfinder same basic type 4x4 does well in snow .
  • drewlak1drewlak1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a response from Xterra on this? I just swallowed a $422 bill for a truck with 52K miles on it for this issue. Frustrating...
    the guy is right vinyl magic ,if you have a severe problem the best restorers are made for fiberglass boat hulls i think its sold in boat shops
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I dunno, looks like spam when someone shows up for the first time and immediately links to a web site in response to a 3 year old question.
  • jvohnswitzjvohnswitz Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Nissan Xterra is running odd.
    It has 135,000 miles and no wrench has ever been on it
    except new spark plugs 40,000 miles ago.
    Now it is pinging and knocking
    and I do have a knock sensor error code.
    It comes and goes and sometimes so bad I
    want to shut it off. Im also missing some power
    and it has a deep sound when hitting the pedal
    maybe timing off? Starts great
    and idols ok but rough at times.

I read one guy has 160,000 miles and has a knock senor
    error and has ignored it for the last 60,000 miles.
    Im wonding if this is not true and my problem...

Also raunchy sound coming from
    distibutor last 2 years when you
    rev the motor and listen as it
    rpm's down. Had my hand on it
    and finally found the raucny sound
    in the cold mornings.

Thanks!
    your suppose to have a complete tune up at 100,000 miles.at least for a 2003 ,they may recommend it sooner for a 2001? I'm surprised that you have a distributor,any way if you cant replace the knock sensor ,then take it to a reputable shop or the dealer.lots of luck your between a rock and a hard place.
  • mudheadmudhead Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed Nissan is pretty definite about requiring their own ATF. Does anyone have any experience with other brands or recommendations of equivalent brands?

Also, does anyone know what size the hex is for the rear diff fill plug on an '08?

Thanks.
  • skiboatskiboat Member Posts: 1
    when switched over to ac the compressor runs on the first speed when changing to the other speeds the ac lights flicker --asssuming the comp is cycling . system was evacuated tested for leaks, and recharged --no difference --any help or on this guys
  • geoffmtgeoffmt Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to fix my friends nissan, v6, auto. when switching the transfer case to 4x4, the light just flashes and doesnt engage. tried while driving, tried in netural. it will not engage 4lo either. 4hi worked last winter but isnt working now. other issues are the slip light in the dash, code 0463 for the fuel voltage. the most important is the 4 wheel drive being in montana. is this just a relay switch? Any help or ideas? thanks
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Has anyone experienced this, cause I have no clue about this one: The air is not coming out of the two center stack vents but is coming out of the two side vents? The A/C is on, it's blowing cold, just that no air is coming out the middle vents, strangest thing? has anyone else experienced this problem? What was the solution to fix? Thanks.
  • tmowtmow Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Xterra XE V6 has the same problem. The cruise control also stops at the same time.
    Were you able to resolve it or does anyone else have an answer?
    Thanks-
  • yellownissanyellownissan Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out anything on this? Mine is now having the same problem but
  • charlie5186charlie5186 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Hi all,

I was at a red light today and my 02 Xterra suddenly shut off. I quickly put in neutral and it started right back up. The next two lights it tried to do the same thing but I put in neutral and gave some gas while waiting for the green light. When I got to my destination I turn the engine off and let sit for a few mins and then started right up again.

Does anyone know what the cause of this might be?

I recently had my timing belt replace and also a recalled steering issue was taken care of.
  • mesarch808mesarch808 Member Posts: 1
    When I look at my radiator for my 01 nissan xterra v6, I can see coolant around the rim of the top of the radiator! Should I get it replaced?
    If I replace my radiator with an aftermarket single row radiator, will it be enough to keep the engine cool or will the 1 row not be enough?
  • oufitzoufitz Member Posts: 1
    Hello Rockhead911. I have a 2005 Xterra with 38,000 miles & my "service engine light" comes on every so often. I took it to Auto Zone & they hooked up a tester under my steering wheel & it gave me 3 different fuel problems it could be. My gas gauge has been acting funny lately. I don't want to take it to the dealer so they can charge me an arm & a leg to fix it. Did you ever get your problem corrected and was it costly ? Thanks
  • darkinessdarkiness Member Posts: 1
    just changed my water pump reset timing but still runs like crap rpms sits at 1000 but in drive right at 850 rpms spark plugs are new plus new wires. runs up to 50 mph then acts like it don't wants to shift into cruising speed start to make nosies from front of engine. need some ideals before pulling my hair an bank account out lol
  • cferna27cferna27 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a V-6 Xterra that i did not drive for about 2 weeks. About 4 days ago when i did drove it i noticed that it seemed to struggle during idle and the "service engine light is on", but then went away after 5 mins. or so. In the next 3 days the car was switching from normal running to the same sluggish idle and the service light was now permanently on.

Today it took about 5 seconds for the engine to crank-up, but died after 10 seconds or so? i tried cranking it up 3 times. It finally started normally but the same struggling is still present during idle or in stop lights. ( It was fine before the 2 week of non usage. )

Could it be the (knock sensor or fuel pump) ?

Carlos.
  • repo123repo123 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 nissan xterra xe i have had it for 2 years and both of my manifolds are broken one is cracked and the other is broken does anyone know where i can get these at a good price
  • borik1234borik1234 Member Posts: 5
    '07 Off-Road... 80K miles... I noticed the weirdest problem lately... after stopping on a traffic light after driving for some time (usually not for too long) with the fan turned to a relatively high setting (2 or 3) and heat turned all the way in, the air coming from the vents would slowly change from hot to cold outside air. Messing with the temperature knob doesn't make any difference... turning the fan on/off doesn't do the trick either. The only thing that fixes it is to switch outside air intake (I usually have it on that setting) to inside intake. That does the trick and the heat comes back on.

It only happened three or four times over the last couple of months and only when it's cold outside. I'll mention it next time I drop it off for an oil change at local dealer, but there is no way to duplicate it on demand that I know of.
  • cdsparks04cdsparks04 Member Posts: 1
    2005 Xterra (150,000 miles) wakes up cold and then engine squeals all the way to work (20 miles or so). I have never repaired anything on my Xterra but i keep up on oil changes. Could it be time for new belts n hoses? I am at a loss but want it to stop.

I have the following issues and if you have any tips I would appreciate your sharing them. Thanks!
    - gas gauge doesn't work
    - lifts on rear door do not work
    edited October 2012
    yes it is time for new belts alternator and AC, plus power steering belt , you could do one at a time to eliminate the one that's squealing , how ever when yu have one off you may a well do them all . quick fix temporary tough they sell belt dressing spry on type that will stop it only for a while from squealing .