Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Engine fires 3800 series II 1996-2003

Comments

• rob189rob189 Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 Grand Prix burned in December 2010, while I was driving home. There should be a class action suit, GM has told me too bad.
  • rob189rob189 Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 Gtp caught fire while I was driving home and burned in the street. The police had it towed to a salvage yard. I had no place to store it so I gave it to the salvage yard it was totaled. I wrote to GM but since I do not still have the car and can not produce evidence, they told me I am out of luck. I did not have full coverage insurance so it is a very expensive loss. We should do something.
  • blacknailblacknail Member Posts: 1
    I feel like I would just be posting the same story as everyone else here. Thank God my car was in the driveway and not the garage and the kids were inside with me having dinner. Insurance is offering to pay the replace the car, but because they have found that I wasn't negligent (I had the recall performed and brought the car into the dealer to have it checked out when I smelled a burning smell last year) they will not be paying 3rd party liability to my landlord for the damage to our rental house. We have to move because there is black toxic crap all over the place and the kids get covered in it when they go outside. When I called GM, the Customer service rep said things like "what do you expect, the car is 10 years old" and finished the conversation with "I don't know what else to say but good luck!".

Does anyone know what the foot long "missile" like projectiles are that come out of the front when the car is on fire? Very dangerous and put big dents in our garage door. I am all for a class action lawsuit. These cars should all be taken off the road and all owners should get a new car from GM.
  • tynebtyneb Member Posts: 1
    Hey Holly, I fall under the category of not the original owner I am actually still paying on my car. I bought this car in November 2008 it is a 2002 pontiac grand prix gt with a 3800 and I first started having problems with it in May of 2010. I went to start my car after work one night and my keys were locked up in the ignition and I had no power to my car at all. I called a friend to come see if he could help and he tightened the cable on the battery and it started up and ran just fine. I then was scheduled to go to school for the National Guard in mid June 2010 and my school was a month long and I stayed in the barracks there. I drove to and from class every day and about a week or so into the school I went to start my car and it locked up again and wouldn't start. I had a mechanic on post come and look at it and he couldn't pinpoint the problem but thought it had to do with my anti-theft system. While trying to determine the problem at one point the keys were not even in the ignition and the car started by itself! I couldn't move it out of park but it was running and they had to take the fuse out to get it to shut off. They put the fuse back in and it started a second time! They left it out a little longer this time and it didn't start back up. I was able to then take it to a mechanic who had several former pontiac mechanics working for him and when they tested the car they couldn't find anything wrong except that my abs needed replacing. After that, my car ran just fine until around mid september of 2010. I had gone to wal- mart with my mom about 20 minutes from us and gone grocery shopping then another 20 minutes back home and my mom asked me to run to town to pick something up for her throat and so I drove to rite aid about a 5 minute drive away, maybe 10 minutes. I had a friend with me and as I turned on the car to go back home I saw smoke coming from the hood. I turned off the car and popped the hood to see what was wrong and I saw flames coming from under the plastic cover as well as the front of my engine. My friend was able to put out the fire with his hat smacking down the flames and we had the car towed back to the house. My dad was able to fix the car but we had to go to different junk yards and get two of the parts off other cars and we had to replace the front 3 spark plugs and plug wires as well. It was the middle of march of 2011 when my car was back up and running again though I didn't drive it much. I moved to Nashville April 7th 2011 and my car would sometimes lock up again and would only start for me after I wiggled the front battery wire although the wire itself was on tight. Then on May 5th I had to go to wal- mart which was not even a 5 minute drive away and I was at a stop light behind a long line of cars and when we started moving I heard a pop and saw smoke under the hood so I pulled into the gas station right beside of a Firestone shop, grabbed a fire extinguisher from my back seat and popped the hood to put out the fire...I am very lucky the car didn't blow up and that nobody was hurt! The guys from the garage next door came running to help me but the fire was out by the time they got to me. I then called a tow truck to bring me and the car back home and the car now sits useless in my driveway...I dont know if anything can even be done to save my car at all but I honestly would like to take a sledgehammer to every inch of it than to trust my life with this car again...twice is enough for me!! Is there anything that can be done or anything at all?? I don't know if my story has helped any but at least mine is now added to the long list of those this has happened to! My best friend in high school had the same thing happen to hers too!">
  • pnwsonpnwson Member Posts: 1
    I ignored all the recall notices sent to me by GM, and never had a problem. Sorry for all you guys that did. I can say that I always was VERY careful in adding oil and checking the oil, and any oil that dripped back on the engine I wiped it up with a paper napkin. Then last year I had the entire engine and engine compartment professionally cleaned for only $75. It looked wonderful after that, and still is only just a bit more dusty.
  • mrb1125mrb1125 Member Posts: 1
    May 26, 2011

Around 2pm this afternoon I had just returned from a meeting and someone came into my office building and asked if anyone drove a red grand prix...I looked outside and the entire engine compartment was in flames. The car was totally destroyed. I contacted GM and surprise surprise, they have to "get back to me"...has anyone had any luck receiving any type of compensation for an issue like this? My car has been kept up to date with any recalls and fixed immediately.
  • bradleyjr136bradleyjr136 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    ok sounds like some of forget to wipe oil up after changing it cars don't just catch fire less there is some bad wires or fuel leak but that should be noticed be for a fire start so when you change the oil make sure to wipe the oil you spill off the hot parts it comman since ain't it also if you don't change your oil your self you should be looking at the shop you have do it for you. I've had two Pontiacs since I been driving and never had it catch fire. My first pontiac was a 1994 grand am never caught fire I changed the oil my self I wipe everthing down before taking off after oil change it ain't hard now I own my second pontiac it is a 2008 grand prix and I change my oil my self it hasn't caught fire. why is because I wipe it down and when I have a shop do it I check there work before leaving make sure they didn't spill any on the exaust pipe if they do I wipe it with a rag it not hard so don't give pontiac a bad name because you are dum not to check things like that. it is common since. I'm always at least once every week looking my car over checking for leaks and spills and **** that needs to be fixed before it comes to total lost. a car is like a baby you got to watch it and take care of it you don't just feed it gas but you got to change its oil check if it sick not acting right I say start checking your cars more and if you don't know what to look for take it to the shop I bought my 2008 january of 2011 no fire yet so what wrong with yours
  • kenm9kenm9 Member Posts: 2
    The electric window on my 1995 Grand Prix is intermittent. The motor has been replaced twice and the problem still remains unchanged. Generally when the window goes down 100% (especially if it went down in auto down mode). It will remain down. But if I wait 30 seconds or 1 minute it will come back up. If I only wait 15 or 20 seconds it will slowly come up a quarter or the way and then stop. Continue to wait another 30 seconds and it goes all the way up. Once it is working again, it continues to work. The problem seems to occur most commonly on warm/hot days, but sometimes even when it is cold outside the problem still occurs. It occurs most commonly after the car has been sitting for hours, but on rare occasions occurs even after I have been driving for a while. Any ideas?
  • kenm9kenm9 Member Posts: 2
    Posted this earlier today and still don't see it. Sorry if it ends up being a double post.

I have a 1995 Grand Prix SE with problems with the driver's electric window. The motor has been replaced twice and the problem still remains. The problem is that occasionally(but not always) the window sticks in the down position. This only happens maybe 1 in 3 times that the window is down. It almost always happens when the window is fully down and almost always when the auto down function has been used. It more often happens in warm or hot weather but also happens rarely in cold weather. When it sticks in the down position, if I wait a minute or so, it will go back up. Always. If I only wait 20 or 30 seconds, it comes up halfway slowly and then stops. If I wait another minute it goes all the way up. It has never been stuck in the down position for more than 5 minutes.

Anyone seen a problem like this?
  • grandprixzgrandprixz Member Posts: 12
    I am glad your daughter is okay...and sorry for the loss of the car.....
    gm needs to be accountable.....
  • kevinandtori1kevinandtori1 Member Posts: 1
    My car caught fire approx. 1 month ago. After our car was towed to be repaired, we were notified that the car was under recall and this was part of the recall. We were officially notified by GM the following day. When we contacted GM, we were told that our "Expired" Car Warranty should cover the repairs. Do they think we are that stupid. I contacted the Attorney General's office and they are looking into the matter. The funny part about this is the recall has been out for a few years and we were never notified.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
  • tennesseestormtennesseestorm Member Posts: 1
    Seems like the engine fires in these late 90s-early 2000s Grand Prix's are only effecting the ones with the optional 3800 Series II engine? Some of these have the 3.1L V6 and I dont think these have the engine fire problem?
  • stacyr420stacyr420 Member Posts: 1
    it could be the regulator...thats whats wrong with mine and it was intermittent until it just quit working for good. hope that helps. :)
  • codyaustyncodyaustyn Member Posts: 1
    I just experienced my 2002 grand prix engine go up in flames. I went to my son's townhome to have a birthday dinner prepared for me by him. We just sat down to eat and someone knocked at the door asking if someone here owned a grand prix. When I said I did he said it was in flames and he just called the fire department. We all ran outside to watch my car burn to the ground. Happy Birthday to me!!!! I am just grateful that I was not at home with the car sitting in the garage. The unfortunate part is that I just paid it off and dropped my insurance down to liability...this was a big loss.
  • jewels1510jewels1510 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I just purchased a 2001 Grand Prix 3 months ago. This morning the engine caught fire and the car is demolished. A firefighter mentioned the recall and so I have researched this and I am just floored with what I am reading. Wow, so many vehicles catching fires, complete toast... and no class action lawsuit !!! NEVER EVER will I buy a GM vehicle again with this kind of history !! Unbelievable !!
  • venusbug21venusbug21 Member Posts: 3
    my email is venusbug21@yahoo.com if you found what legal things can be done i did the recall and it just caught fire yesterday please help
    hi jewel my just got fire on dec 7 2011, are they willing to pay for anything. i did the recall work and everything i dont know what to do. venusbug21@yahoo.com. please help
    if anybody has what legal information i should do please help me. it just caught fire and destroyed on the 7th. i did the recall and everything. =) i just got the car 2 months ago.
  • drvettedrvette Member Posts: 99
    I'm pretty sure this is caused by a faulty circuit breaker.

On the windows, they are not "fused" but instead the motor has a breaker.

When it gets hot, it trips "open" and will not re-close until it cools down.

Have a new breaker installed in the door AFTER asking your dealer if this is related.

33000 VISIBILITY:POWER WINDOW DEVICES AND CONTROLS
    TSB Bulletin No: 531018
    04/25/1996

http://www.ownersite.com/TSB/tsbs.cfm/

Rusty Wrench
    aka DrVette
    Sorry for your loss.

AFAIK, posting legal advice is against Forum policy,
    I do reserve the right to be wrong though.

Try a Google Search

Rusty Wrench
    DrVette
    edited December 2011
    I'm not privy to the "statute-of-limitations" regarding "Recalls" concerning safety items like this, however I will post what little info I have found "so-far" regarding the subject.

GM Recalls Millions of Vehicles 1997-2003

April 12, 2009

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V116000

EA07008 NHTSA Action Number: EA07008

GM RECALL NO. 90047.

The recalled vehicles all have naturally aspirated 3.8 liter V6
    "Affected vehicles include:

1997-2003 Buick Regal;
    2000-’03 Chevrolet Impala;
    1998-’99 Chevrolet Lumina;
    1998-2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo;
    1998-’99 Oldsmobile Intrigue
    1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix.

GM said some of these vehicles have a condition in which drops of engine oil may be deposited on the exhaust manifold through hard braking. If the manifold is hot enough and the oil runs below the heat shield, it may ignite into a small flame and may spread to the plastic spark plug wire channel and beyond, increasing the risk of an engine compartment fire.

GM said dealers will remove the spark plug wire retention channel at the front of engine and install two new spark plug wire retainers free of charge.
    The recall is expected to begin this month and owners and technicians can
    contact
    Chevrolet at 1-800-630-2438,
    Oldsmobile at 1-800-630-6537,
    and Pontiac at 1-800-620-7668.

OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT
    1-888-327-4236
    (TTY 1-800-424-9153),
    or THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’">link title

Per CNN
    "GM issued a similar recall on a similar engine in 2008, according to the company's filing with the government. That problem was traced to a faulty gasket on the engine rocker cover."
    link title

You can "search" here for other Auto recalls

Look here for TSB's [Technical Service Bulletins]

I'm sorry for all the distress caused by this, I only hope that the auto mfg's association gets their act in line a bit better.
    *Note*
    Many other brands catch fire also, the automobile is a complicated piece, sometimes the engr dept cannot consider all factors in the design of each component.

Good Luck to Everyone
    Rusty Wrench
    aka DrVette
    edited December 2011
    Read my post #408
    Sorry, I do not e-mail folks I don't know, I worked for a Computer Tech help site for many years

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0e40ac/407#MSG407
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Legal advice is fine (but the reader should remember we don't have any way to verify that it's correct). We just don't permit using the forums to organize legal action (e.g., collecting names for a class action lawsuit).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• desi521desi521 Member Posts: 7
    I had a Monte Carlo Z w/a 3800 series engine that caught on fire while I was in the drive-thru of my bank. It took 2 fire trucks 45 mins to put it out & the car re-started itself w/o the keys in it!!! Amazingly enough, the interior was immaculate & except for the hood being bent cuz they had to use the "Jaws of Life" to open it as the cables burned thru, you couldn't even tell that the car had burned from the passenger side. However, the asinine insurance company that I had decided it was an electrical fire & I got royally screwed on the payout. I've had a Grand Prix w/a 3800 since & the 1st thing we did was change the intake manifold as that was supposedly what was the cause of the fires. So far, so good. :)
  • desi521desi521 Member Posts: 7
    Ray, it's not just Grand Pric's. My 98 Chevy Monte Carlo Z38 caught on fire while I was in the drive thru @ my bank! It took 2 fire trucks 45 mins to put the damned thing out & needless to say it was totalled. I got massively screwed by my insurance co on the payout. I fought them for almost a yr & got em to come up a bit but not near the value of the car. My son told me @ the time that there were 38 documented cases of fires in the 3800 series engines but GM was denying any responsibility. My fire happened on 11/20/2006. I know the exact date cuz I still have all of the paperwork. If you do manage to get a class action suit going, count me in. Not only could I have been seriously hurt but I could have burned down the bank. Plus, it was a fluke that I even pulled off the hwy & stopped @ the bank that day. They weren't a scheduled stop.
  • jgibdozerjgibdozer Member Posts: 1
    I deceided to check back on this post. I drove my 1998 GP-GTP off the show room floor and loved it !! Took great care of it even when my daughter took it over in 2005. In 2007 while at work in her hospital, the car burned to the ground in the concrete parking garage. Thank God no one was hurt. I saw previous posts where GM states this is not thier issue.
  • jorgechica710jorgechica710 Member Posts: 2
    i had my car catch on fire on Friday, same thing I did the recall over 2 years ago, but as i heard, this is the 3rd car around where I live that catches on fire in the last 6 months
  • jorgechica710jorgechica710 Member Posts: 2
    I agree, it just happen to me last friday, I am shock to see how many people have had the same issue..
  • randysmomrandysmom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 buick lasabre, which has the 3800 engine in it, never did get a recall, but it caught fire two weeks ago, and it was exactly where they said it would, melted all the stuff over the sparks plugs, just happened to be in a good spot where they got it out quickly but the car is probably beyond repair and we just had liabilty on it so it is a totat lost for us. I contacted buick but they said it would be breech of waranty since its is over four years old for them to do anything. So we are without a car. Are they any class action lawsuits going on ?
    Also, please remember to report your incident to the NHTSA - they are the government agency responsible for tracking issues and investigating defects.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I wonder how many of the people with problems due to oil seeps collecting and moving onto the hot exhaust have had their cars back to the dealer for servicing or for oil changes. I believe there was a recall for modifying the plastic loom for the spark plug wires.

If the owners have their oil changes done at QuickyCheap lube and don't follow the internet for recalls and TSBs, they may not have had proper checks and updates done to the vehicles. Also, the seeps would have given an oil smell occasionally from oil getting onto the exhaust area. That should have prompted a visit to a knowledgeable repair facility to check on the source.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• benajah1759benajah1759 Member Posts: 3
    Seems like nobody comes here to tell their Grand Prix fire stories any more. Maybe all the ones that were going to burn have burned. My 1999 is still alive. No fires.....yet.......
    Since this discussion covers 8 model years, the earliest of which is 17 years old, it's safe to assume that some of these vehicles have died peacefully of natural causes. Vehicle fires in this model aren't exactly what you'd call a common or expected occurrence - as mentioned, we're covering 8 model years here and given the number of complaints, your statistical likelihood is low.

May you have many more happy years!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• benajah1759benajah1759 Member Posts: 3
    kirstie, did or do you have one of these cars?
    No, I just host this discussion.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• diachrisdiachris Member Posts: 1
    I am shocked to see all of the Grand Prix's that have caught fire.

My car engine started on fire last week, 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix with the 3800 engine. I decided to google Pontiac fires because I was so confused why it started on fire.

Parked my car outside to go into a store and within a few minutes I overhear someone mentioning that an older Grand Prix has smoke coming from the engine and I go outside to see it was my car!

Car is totalled just lucky the car fire didn't injure anyone or anything else. Still a little freaked out that could have started in my garage.

Didn't realize there were all these issues with the 3800 engine.
  • zthomas91zthomas91 Member Posts: 1
    MY 97 grand prix caught fire back in September. the fire went out before it caused any serious damage. off instinct, I replaced the cat converter, spark plug wires, o2 sensor, and power steering hose, car still gives off burning smell but I won't drive it longer than 5 minutes for fear that it will catch on fire again. I called the dealer and they said that my car had already been serviced for the recall and they sent me a letter saying my car was out of warranty in 2007 so what next? I really would like to drive my car again.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    The dealer told you it had already been serviced for the recall by taking of the plastic part that would catch and hold oil drippings.

What I would do is replace the silicon valve cover seals with new ones. They tend to settle with age and not seal as tightly, allowing a little leakage. Replacing them stops the leak.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• blacbutterflyblacbutterfly Member Posts: 1
    I started a such of a lawsuit because Oct. 2008 I had expireanced this same problem. My engieng cought fire 3:00am on my way to work. Frist it stalled so I turned around to head back home. Soon as I made the u-turn that's when my engieng went up in smoke. I feild a police report but had the vehchile towed to the junk yard. Here it is 2013 and I am trying to get passed it but as a reminder GM keep sending me a Recall Card after the fact so I am S. O. L.' ed out of a car and a lawsuit. I had to acquire a car note (which I've never done before). It happened so fast. The car was running good one minute and then the next this fire. I lost everything as well. I almost didn't get out the car because all the power locks that I was used to stop working, I panically unlatched the manual lock though a prayer.
  • jessicalynnjessicalynn Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issue with my Pontiac grand prix 2002. My engine caught fire 10-15 minutes after it was turned off! i was shocked because i hadnt had prior engine problems and terrified because i was in the car ten minutes before it burst into flames. I couldnt get the fire out, eventually police and the fire department ended the fire before it spread to my house. This is a terribly dangerous situation and i am shocked. I was not notified when i bought the car used at a dealership. My insurance wont cover the damage and my car is totalled
  • willisthewaywillistheway Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 grand prix gt caught fire earlier part of this year, fortunately I saw the smoke and my car wasn't a total loss.
  • stargazer1954stargazer1954 Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone have a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix catch on fire? My Uncle has one and it was sheer luck that someone was driving by and saw the fire. If they hadn't then they would not have known until the car exploded. I have been looking and all I have seen are earlier model cars catching on fire. Please let me know!!
  • chele1179chele1179 Member Posts: 1
    I've read about all the fires and I'm wondering if anyone has had that happen to 2007 models?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    @Karen_CM love the new picture.

One of the Guys I golf with was just telling us about his sons cars engine started to smoke last year and it was on the GM recall list. Not sure if it was the Impala or Lumina. Sounds like a dangerous problem.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• angryowner2001angryowner2001 Member Posts: 3
    I recently received a recall notice from GM, recall# 15757, first week of March 2016 regarding the engine’s front valve cover and gasket to be replaced with new parts due to drops of engine oil that may deposit on the exhaust manifold which could cause an engine fire. I called dealership and was told parts were still not available and I was placed on a waiting list. On April 9, 2016, my car started on fire due to oil leak. The car was parked for 5 minutes before smoke and fire started to come from under the hood. The fire dept. did come out and put the fire out, however, the entire engine compartment is totaled. I contacted the dealership on April 11th, in which the dealership still did not have the recall parts available. I was given General Motor's phone#, contacted them and explained the situation, in which we were told that someone would come out in 48 hrs to assess damage. However, on April 13th, I received a phone call from an advisor stating that further information is needed from me. No one has come out to assess damage as originally stated, as well, I had to email several pictures and paperwork that was requested. When I attempt to contact the advisor through email or phone, she does not respond to any of my inquiries. I called again yesterday, 4/18/16, and spoke to a different advisor who stated that my current advisor will contact me within 24-48 hrs. This is completely frustrating and cause I have no idea what will take place with my car. I'm using someone else's vehicle as of now and I explained to the GM advisor that I don't have a car, however, I was told that is not their concern, as well, it could take 20-30 business days to determine anything. I'm not sure if I should entrust GM to take care of this situation or persue legal advice. Has anyone recently encountered an engine fire due to the recall and has GM stepped up and took fully responsibility for their issue?!?

Thanks much!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited April 2016
    I don't think there is much you can do until the vehicle is inspected, so if I were in your shoes, I'd devote all my energy to getting the car looked at by GM. What they determine from the inspection will determine what course of action you have to take. If GM decides that the fire isn't related to the oil leak then you'll have to decide if you want to pursue some legal remedy to prove them wrong. If, on the other hand, GM footed the bill, that would be great. Chances are your car is totaled so you should be prepared for a total write-off. If you have comprehensive coverage on your insurance policy you might contact your insurance company about how they might get involved.
  • angryowner2001angryowner2001 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, thanks for your response. As of today, GM has determined my car to be a loss from the photos that I have submitted. No one physically came out to inspect it. They are willing to repurchase my car for $1800, as well, give me $2000 loyalty certificate to use towards the purchase of a new car. This is completely insulting. Just the fact that they sent out a recall indicating parts were available and were not, disgusts me. This incident wouldn't have taken place if parts were available early March as indicated. I'm at a loss for words regarding the entire incident. They are accepting fault, however, surely aren't compensating me with anything! I will never purchase another GM product, just due to the fact that they have handled this so poorly. The stress and anxiety I have endured in regards to this incident is terrible and I consider myself and family very fortunate not to have had something serious occur. I have shared my story with my local news media, who seem to be interested in learning more of the situation. I will continue to appropriate action in regards to this. My car was in great condition, I loved my car, and I couldn't possibly find another car with the condition that my car was in, for $1800. I had no intention of replacing my car for a new car, nor should I have to even consider doing so now. I feel there should be a class action law suit, especially given the fact that over 1300 cars caught fire, mine being the latest statistic. This truly is a nightmare and I empathize with others that have endured this unfortunate situation.