Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 BMW X3 vs Acura RDX

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I didn't like: the rather coarse-sounding turbo, stiff ride, lack of memory seats, foot parking brake.
  • patentcad1patentcad1 Member Posts: 69
    The turbo is a bit coarse sounding, but that is somewhat subjective. Doesn't bother me.

The ride is stiff. Compared to a Ford Freestyle. The RDX handles like a sports car in SUV clothing. I can live with that tradeoff.

Lack of memory seats? Another relatively pointless feature to me. I'm always moving my seat around.

I personally HATE center handle emergency brakes. Love the foot pedal.

I just looked at the new Ford Edge on line. Too heavy, too slow, too pricey (similar pricing to Acura, a premium brand, they'll be giving them away soon like all their other cars). The RDX blows it away. And they wonder why American car manufacturers are sucking wind. Seems farily clear to me. Their cars usually SUCK.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Well, this is completely off-topic, but I'll play devil's advocate for a bit and defend the Edge, even though I'm quite happy with my CX-7.

First of all, no offense, but you are probably in the minority when it comes to pedal emergency brakes and memory seats. To each his own.

More importantly, the Edge is bigger than the RDX in almost every dimension. Not always incredibly so, but enough to prompt a closer look if we're talking about pound-per-pound value. I mean, you can option up a lot of vehicles to $34,000, but that doesn't mean they compete with the RDX. What I built on the Ford site for an RDX-ish price actualy had MORE content than a comparable Acura. There's no question which one is more luxurious, but again, I don't think the Edge is going to steal anyone away from Acura.

You are right that the Edge won't be selling for MSRP for long (if ever). But at this point, neither is the RDX, or the CX-7. Good for us.

I can't speculate on how "slow" the Edge will be. I haven't seen any numbers yet. I guess my point is, you never know. The RDX is quicker than it should be given its power and size, maybe the Edge will be too. Too early to call.

All in all, I probably wouldn't buy one, but it's got "not being completely ugly" going for it, at least. ;)
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    to put the Ford Edge up against the RDX would be by removing at least one front halfshaft and permanently coupling the rear driveline.

Now, if Ford were to put the FEH/MMH hybrid drive in the Edge...

That might be worth the effort.
    People like those auto dimming rear view mirrors too. I personally HATE them for a number of reasons. Yet another pointless 'luxury' feature I can do without. Lucky for me since the RDX has an old fashioned flip the mechanical button day/nite mirror. I love it.

Nothing is quite as entertaining as listening to car weenies whine about luxury features that cars don't have. 'Memory' on car seats? Whatever turns you on.
  • bikerjohnbikerjohn Member Posts: 52
    patentcad1,

What do you hate about the auto dimming mirror? I was considering getting one, when I buy the RDX, since others seem to like them so much.
    I love the one on my TL!
    Personal annoyance. It's like a Veil of Darkness descending over my rearview mirror at night. If the lights behind me are that annoying the little mechanical switch does it for me. I don't find reaching up to flip it burns too many driver calories....
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    The "car weenies" (maybe I'm one of them) usually have lived with the so-called luxury features and enjoyed them so much that they can't live without them. I guess everybody has their pressure points that make things "necessary..."

I used to think HomeLink was stupid, HID headlights were for upper-class twits, and auto A/C in a car was posh overkill. I can tell you now that I probably won't ever buy another vehicle without them...
    The Silliest Feature of All Time award goes to Acura's voice command brain on its recent cars. I have this feature on my 2004 TL. The energy necessary to memorize spoken commands far exceeds pushing the buttons on the dash.

But I'd agree that one man's superflous 'fluff' is another's 'can't live without'. Absolutely. I don't think Homelink is 'dumb' at all. Particularly the part where it dials '911' when your airbags deploy....
    "Particularly the part where it dials '911' when your airbags deploy...."

It does that??! :surprise: :blush:

Now, regarding voice command on the TL, I tend to agree with you on this one. I still feel kinda dumb when there are other passesngers in the car, when I suddenly bark out, in a loud, monotone, robotic voice, "Air Conditioner On", or "CD Play Disc 1", or "Fan Speed 2", or..... :blush:
    When airbags deploy on an On Star equipped vehicle a signal is sent to On Star. They call the car via the system. If you don't respond to tell them you're OK, they notify authorities with your location and tell them that there appears to have been an accident. Sounds like a great feature to me - one that could really save your bacon.
    are really handy for my wife and I. With the seat in her position I cannot even get into the RX, have to "reset" it to my position first.
  • billymaybillymay Member Posts: 59
    Good post. There is a feel to driving a European car that the Japanese just haven't decoded yet.

I know the RDX is the "right" vehicle to replace/upgrade my Jeep Liberty (which has been excellent) when it comes off lease next year, and I've had Hondas. But I'm likely going with the Land Rover LR2 or BMW X3 instead. A few trips to the dealer? A small price for something that gives me pleasure everytime I drive it.
    :)
  • edmundohedmundoh Member Posts: 35
    I'm considering replacement for my 2001 Lexus RX300. Thought RDX was logical because it is same size as the "old" RX 300, and I want something with a bit more in the "fun to drive" quotient. Thanks to the folks at Curry Acura in NYC suburbs, was able to take a 30 minute test drive today in a Tech-package RDX (gussied up with running boards, roof rack and odd wood grained dash pieces) in unbelievable "real world" conditions: torrential rains, twisties with wet leaves, interstates, parkways with ponded water.

Here are some impressions:

Pros: Phenomenal stability and acceleration, rock solid cornering, fantastic traction, intuitive ergonomics. Seems roomy enough for my family of 3.

Cons: Sorry, but the ride is simply too stiff for me... I felt every seam and bump in the road, and I can't imagine taking a really long ride on secondary roads, as I do when we visit in-laws in Vermont. Because of the turbo "bump" on the hood, had trouble seeing over it for good visibility. Thought the side view mirrors were way too small, compared to the Lexus.

So I'm back to square one... had really hoped this would be slam-dunk for me, but think that the stiff ride is a deal-breaker. Any thoughts from the group?

ed
  • rangerwalkerrangerwalker Member Posts: 18
    I have to agree on the value of memory seats. I park in NYC garages 5 days a week, and the seats and mirrors are always adjusted.
    The value of voice command depends on the features in the car (and the owner's willingness to learn how to use it). For cars equipped with navigation and satellite radio, speaking a few words is safer and easier than using the dials and buttons while driving.

Homelink, auto-dimming mirrors, auto climate control - of course none of it is absolutely necessary, but they are nice to have.
    Did the car you drove happen to have the 19" wheels? I think with the std 18" wheels, the ride is not as stiff. If you decide to go for a 2nd test drive, bring your tire pressure gauge to make sure the tires are not over inflated.
    I test drove one with the standard 18" wheels and thought the ride was plenty stiff. However, as you suggested, the tires may have been over-inflated.
    You're really not very likely to find an SUV that compares favorably with your RX300 insofar as ride comfort and softness are concerned. I keep vacilating between converting mine to rear biased AWD or going with the X3.
    Does the 07 X3 have a softer ride than the RDX?
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    The Silliest Feature of All Time award goes to Acura's voice command brain on its recent cars.

I couldn't disagree more. After driving my 06 TL for couple of months, I now talk to everybody like I do to my TL. Wait, that could be considered a drawback. BUT, I prefer voice commands to fiddling with buttons now. There are instances when the NAV forces me to use the buttons (to enter city/street number/name, that I wish could be done using voice too.

And I'm hoping moonroof and windows will also be tied to voice commands soon. :blush:
    But it will only get better with/as technology improves.

There are lots of distractions, way too many, in driving a car that would be best if that/those, ancillary functions requiring manual intervention, could go away. One of the reasons I dearly LOVE cruise control, allows me to devote more of my senses to actual driving issues.
  • wmdavis1wmdavis1 Member Posts: 14
    2007 X3 vs. RDX - I've looked at (but not driven) both vehicles. I actually prefer the exterior looks and interior ergonomics of the Acura, but think the "je ne sais quoi" of the X3 seems more luxurious/sophisticated in that European way (what's up with the tacky pinstripes on the RDX!). Based on what I've read, my main concern with the RDX is the inconsistent gas mileage (I can live with the rated EPA) and the reliability of a first year car. I know Acuras are generally at the top of reliability ranks, but does anyone know Acura's track record for first year products? What have new X3 buyers been experiencing with gas mileage? Also, I'm planning to purchase the vehicle for the long haul (8 to 10 years), and I have heard terrible things about BMW long term reliability and repair costs. The X3 receives an "average" reliability rating from Consumer Reports, being no better or worse than similar cars. What should I expect in terms of long term costs for the X3 vs. RDX? I heard BMW offers long term service contracts; if so, would this be a good idea? Thanks.
    "...inconsistent gas mileage..."

My son-in-law just bought a BMW convertible. After driving the one with manual transmission he chose the Tiptronic one because he felt that with the manual he would be too often tempted to "go for it".

I don't disagree.

Self-discipline.

Probably the same problem with a twin turbo engine.

I wonder if one could easily modify the RDX's onset of turbo boost to say, beyond half-throttle.
    "I wonder if one could easily modify the RDX's onset of turbo boost to say, beyond half-throttle."

That would be like getting a date with the prettiest girl in school, but promising her dad you wouldn't kiss her! :blush:
    No, that would just enable me to NOT kiss her in front of her dad.
    ...pinstripes on the RDX!

What pinstripes? I've been to several dealers in LA/OC area & non of the RDXs I've seen have pin stripes. It may be something your dealer is adding, or the region of the country your in.

...does anyone know Acura's track record for first year products?

Consumer Reports, October 2005 shows 1st, 2nd & 3rd year reliability for newly designed models from most car manufacturers. It does not list Acura separately from Honda.
    Their chart shows the average number of problems per 100 vehicles.

Honda had the fewest problems with 20 for the 1st yr & about the same for the 2nd & 3rd yr. BMW had the most problems with approx 80 for the 1st yr, 70 for the 2nd yr, & 35 for the 3rd yr.

The avg for all mfrs was 40 for the 1st yr, 35 for the 2nd yr & 30 for the 3rd yr.

So if you've got to have that BMW, wait until at least the 3rd model yr, when they are only slightly worse than avg.
    At the dealer near me in Baltimore, all RDX on lot have double pinstripes at top crease along body. The pinstripes are not color coded to body color and have an Acura "A" on front door panel within pinstripes.

Thanks for the helpful Consumer Reports info. I think that's a great testiment to expected reliability of Honda/Acura in first year and beyond. You have put that concern to rest for me.

Now, the gas mileage thing...

Any expectation that RDXs might be discounted by a few thousand sooner rather than later?
    $34.7k for the tech package, is the best I've seen so far. It was posted on another site.
    You wascally wabbit! :P
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    bikerjohn,

I cannot comment on the 07 X3 ride vs the RDX, but ride quality was a concern of ours when we were considering purchasing a 2006 X3 for my wife. I had read so many articles on the stiff ride of the X3 that I was not originally considering it. But the salesman at the BMW dealer convinced my wife and I to take a test drive, and we immediately liked the X3 and bought one (2006 model).

The X3 we test drove had the standard 17" wheels and no sport suspension. Tne one we bought has the optional 18" wheels but without the sport suspension which we purposely avoided.

I also have a 2006 330Xi, and on less than ideal roads, such as pot holes, construction anomolies, etc., my wife's X3 rides more comfortably than my 330Xi, as its more compliant and handles severe bumps better.

Bruce
    I've always liked the X3 very much. And in honesty, the RDX I purchased recently had more to do with not being able to afford the BMW price of entry on the X3 than anything else (I purchase/finance, no desire to lease). From that angle the RDX is a massive no-brainer. BMW's are pricey. The only Bimmer that I'd pay a premium for might be a 3 series sedan, which even @ $40K may be the best damn sedan on the planet.
    "(I purchase/finance, no desire to lease)."

BMWs often present a better deal thru leasing though.
    >>BMWs often present a better deal thru leasing though.<<

Not for me. Buy 'em, pay 'em off, drive 'em for 100-200K miles. Which will work with Japanese cars. Gets a bit dicey with some Euro cars unfortunately. Nothing is better than a high quality import that's PAID FOR. Quite a concept if you're into leasing. I used to be.

College costs loom. Try leasing THAT.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Nothing is better than a high quality import car that's PAID FOR.

I second that. As it stands now, bought a 1998 Accord nine years ago, paid it off in 2.5 years, and 163K miles later couldn't be happier. More so, not having to make a car payment in 6.5 years.

Looking forward to similar experience with 2006 TL (and Accord will continue to be driven on the side).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "While the U.S. is slowly moving away from big SUVs, Mercedes is losing market share to small SUVs like the BMW X3. With this new GLK it is hoping to get back on top again."

Spy Shots: Mercedes GLK Nabbed Outside HQ (Inside Line)

I stopped @ the BMW showroom today and gave the 2007 X3 a close look. GORGEOUS car. I can see why somebody might go for that over an RDX. Is it worth the $7K premium over a comparably equipped RDX? As always, it's your dough. But if I were leasing instead of buying that might be very tempting.

It's all good. I like my RDX too. Not quite as nice as a BMW in some respects - on the other hand within 3-4 years the car will be PAID FOR : ). An novel concept to half the BMW drivers out there I suspect (I was one of them, I leased my 2001 BMW 540i for 3 years).

By the way the RDX and the new 260hp BMW X3 are just about identical in performance specifications...
    Also keep in mind when weighting competitive values that the X3 is available with a manual transmission. And since it is rear torque biased it is therefore most definitely a much safer SUV choice than ANY front torque biased one

Biggest (only?) shortcoming for me is the inability of buying a set of actual BMW repair/shop manuals.
    >> And since it is rear torque biased it is therefore most definitely a much safer SUV choice than ANY front torque biased one <<

I really think that's mostly hooey. The SH AWD on the Acura is rock solid.
  • nobody3nobody3 Member Posts: 27
    Safer? Perhaps Peppy!
    I took a test drive in both vehicles today. The RDX is a nice vehicle at a reasonable price. I would call it upscale, perhaps more appealing to an upwardly mobile 30 something. The X3 is a clearly superior luxury vehicle for which you will pay a premium both at purchase and in long term maintenance (if you plan to keep vehicle) perhaps aimed at 40 somethings and empty nesters. I am going to bite the bullet and pay the premium price for the X3 as I liked it substantially more, particularly the smoothness of the powertrain and the more premium look of the vehicle inside and out. Gas mileage of the X3 is rated higher and appears to be more consistent based on what I've read. Additionally, after reading criticism of the X3's harsh ride, I was pleasantly surprised to find the ride quite smooth, even when I intentionally drove it over road imperfections to test it out. The RDX was stiffer by comparison.
    I looked at X3's in the showroom recently. Never test drove the car - out of my price range @ about $40K ($33K was a stretch for me at this point). The X3 is clearly superior in most respects. I suppose you get what you pay for. I'm very happy with the RDX to date and satisfied with the value delivered for the $. But I'd agree with the criticisms leveled @ the RDX to date (stiff ride, lousier mpgs than advertised). The car works for me. Also, I won't buy a pricey Euro import - I plan on keeping this car to at least 150K miles. If I were still leasing, I'd probably be driving an X3.

Fuel economy? On cars that cost $33-$40K+? I suppose you might have a more valid concern once gas hits $4 per gallon. Until then a 2-3mpg swing seems like the least of your worries after the $400-$600+ monthly car payment, insurance and maintenance.
  • nobody3nobody3 Member Posts: 27
    RDX is one of the 13 "safest" cars as per Insurance Institute. X3 is not one of them.
    http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/autos/iihs/index.html

(Note: I know, it all depends on the criteria chosen)
  • blundblund Member Posts: 6
    "(Note: I know, it all depends on the criteria chosen)"

Which they change constantly - a moving target for the auto makers
  • micckiemicckie Member Posts: 9
    Okay now, My head has been spinning! I have driven both vehicles and I'm at the purchase point for Acura, with the option of an X3 lease knocking on the back door! I agree, those are my options, and with a great finance percentage from acura, the deal is sweet er.
    I love a euro tight driving vehicle, and really thought my next car would be an audi. My V6 stick shift VW passat, now turning 9 years old, will stay on the road as a second car. The car is worth more on the road for me then trade in. Still tight as a drum and fun to drive with 125000 mi.

fact is, I'm in love with the exterior of the bimmer, and the silly sunroof (I'm a woman). But shocked that a car of that stature inside, could be so basic and frankly... unexciting. Turning forty, I can see myself behind the wheel. Just can't let myself lease a car when I could out right purchase The RDX that's just as fun to drive, and so much more luxurious inside. Not to mention tecky? Darn that car would be fun to own. A little concerned about the fact that Acura "Service engine" lights can only be turned off by Acura. I'm not too thrilled about the gas mileage either. It might be comparable to my hubby's full size V8 truck (hence why I'm keeping the VW).
    For kicks and comparisons, I drove the CRV, the ford edge, and the honda path finder also. The mazda CX7 was next, but I can't get past it's out right ugliness.
    The Edge brought Mazda and ford together to make a pretty loaded vehicle that would make a woman happy. I like the panoramic sunroof and the folding front seat option. The seats go down really easy and much flater then eith X3 or Rdx. You can't put this heavy weight in the same class however. It handles nice for a heavy SUV, but it's no sports car. It's bigger and feels it. The dash is way too big, and when driving it, I felt Like I couldn't get high enough in the seat to look over the monstrous dash. Low quality feel to the interior, but compartments and places to put stuff is adaquate like the RDX, I thought X3 lacked in that dept too. All in all, won't buy ford anyway, but on paper, the edge looks impressive for the price. Gas milage not so great, but the thing doesn't look too bad on the outside. I think my mother-in-law would love it!

Back to forum, sorry so long...I gotta get to Acura and buy this car!
    Not trying to make your head spin more, but I would vote for the X3. I have a TL which, in my opinion, is more luxurious than the RDX, and has most of the techy stuff. But I think a lot of that is window-dressing, and after the novelty wears off, the practical appeal is diminished. And on the luxury issue, I really don't honestly find the RDX to be luxurious. I think the Bimmer's luxury is more subtle. It may hold its appeal longer.
    Decision final. Will be picking up my new silver w/ black leather thursday after x-mas. Probably could have done better with the sale today, but there's only one dealer around my woods. I got $19000 off invoice, almost left to walk out, but I needed to beat this sweet 3.9% financing until 1/2/07. All in all, we could have done a bit better but I'm not gonna sweat it out. I feel comfortable buying over leasing a bimmer. In fact, I'm getting quite excited to get behind the wheel to remind me again why I go to work every day to make $!
    As far as luxury goes, there is no question that I was comfortable in the bimmer, but the pleather is stiffer, and somehow, less "comfy"... It feels like you hit the seat like a brick. I guess when I got in the RDX (first impression) I got in looking at it and sliding in. I'm not sure I can describe that tangibly. Maybe I used the wrong adjective.
    I did add the wind deflector for the sunroof and the roof rack. if you get these on purchase date, then they are also included in the full warrentee of the car (four years). get this, the dealer, who lives not far from me, is willing to DELIVER his demo car to my house whenever I need service, and take my car to the dealership to work with him. I'm thinking... what kind of world is this? Okay..maybe I DID pay too much, or thier service is more then coushy :)
  • ydoistayydoistay Member Posts: 3
    Wow, $19000 off invoice is a steal! :P

Assuming you meant $1900 under invoice, thats still a great deal. :) The best I am getting here in Idaho is about $1500 above invoice.

Have to probably consider an out of town purchase.
    sorry yup, my bad... I meant $1900 under invoice..love that eggnog. Merry christmas to all you lads and gals!
  • jirzleejirzlee Member Posts: 5
    great price, was that on a base or a tech package? so if I have this right the invoice was $30,774..then minus $1,900 = $28,874. or if it was a tech it would have been $33,290-$1,900=$31,390.... plus tax title registration.
This discussion has been closed.