Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda CR-V Winter Driving

karkarkarkar Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Honda
What kind of tires come on the CRV?

Does it go good in the snow?

Comments

• Options
    mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    The stock tires are just that stock (Bridgestone)as soon as I purchased a new CRV in July i went over and traded them in two days later and received a($150 credit) towards a set a Goodyear Triple Treads. This was after reading this form and driving 200 miles on the stock tires that were very noisy. As soon as winter comes I will be getting a set of WINTER tires as I drive alot in winter conditions and want all the traction i can get. You can go over to the Tires and Wheels form and do a search also hope this helps..... M
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    CR-V worked fine in Buffalo winter last year, and that was with stock tires, Bridgestone Dueler HT. I have recently put on 225/60-16 Futura Touring HT from PepBoys and they are much quieter. They also improved the cornering greatley.

VSC keeps you going where you point the car in the snow. And AWD makes it easier to get out of snow drifts if you happen to be plowed in or what not.
  • Options
    practicalmanpracticalman Member Posts: 5
    I am considering buying a CR-V in a year or two and was wondering if a front-wheel drive model would be good enough for snow driving since the cr-vs all come with traction control. Does anyone have any experience with drive a FWD CR-V in snow?
  • Options
    saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    ... that my 2005 EX auto AWD with Goodrich tires weathered its first New England winter impeccably. However, the report above on the vehicle's ability in a Buffalo winter is the highest recommendation I can think of, since I once lived just down the road in Erie, Pa.

I'd venture to say that FWD with traction control would be sufficient for most drivers in winter, particularly since the CR-V's high GC keeps you out of most drifts. However, since the AWD can be had at a very reasonable price, why do without?

I suspect the lower 2007 model may be less of a Winter Warrior, but that remains to be seen.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Get the RT4WD. It is not that much more expensive, and why go with something that "may work" in snow, when you can have the use of the rear wheels.

FWIW, I have driven in snow with the Honda Odyssey, which had the traction control. It worked OK, but I had to go really slow.

However, I preferred the RT4WD in the CR-V. I still went at a reasonable speed.

But I have been in mud with the RT4WD and would not have made it out with FWD.
  • Options
    practicalmanpracticalman Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for your response.
    Sounds like it is worth getting the RT4WD.
    I live in Northeast Ohio and I'm sure I would make use of it.
    I've never owned any type of AWD or 4WD vehicle before, which leads me to another question. Is there any major extra expense involved with maintenance of the RT4WD CR-V? Is it a reliable system?
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Thank you for your response.
    Sounds like it is worth getting the RT4WD.
    I live in Northeast Ohio and I'm sure I would make use of it.
    I've never owned any type of AWD or 4WD vehicle before, which leads me to another question. Is there any major extra expense involved with maintenance of the RT4WD CR-V? Is it a reliable system?

The system itself is a proven system that first appeared on the 1987 Honda Civic Wagon AWD. Now in its modified form it is on the CR-V.

The only additional maintenance is the dual pump fluid replacement. Honda says 60,000 miles is OK, field says it needs to be replaced around 20,000 miles, depending on how much AWD you use and how deep you ford the rivers :-)
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I live in Northeast Ohio and I'm sure I would make use of it.
    I've never owned any type of AWD or 4WD vehicle before, which leads me to another question. Is there any major extra expense involved with maintenance of the RT4WD CR-V? Is it a reliable system?"

On the 2006 and earlier it is a simple mechanical device that works with a hydraulic clutch. (I don't know what the 2007 will use). It is very reliable. The book says change the rear differential fluid at 60K, but I changed mine at 30K. That is the only expense, other than the weight penalty. It gets about 1 MPG less than an FWD.
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    For a short period of time, I had a '00 CRV. Made it through some pretty wild snowstorms with it here in Mass. On one particular occasion, I was stuck in a big storm that dumped about 6 inches of snow and there were no plows on the highway. Cars and other SUV's were all over the breakdown lanes waiting for plows to come through but my wife at the time and I chugged right through and made it home safely (Roughly 30 miles). It was a 5 speed and we kept the speeds down but never felt endangered. Solid little vehicle, wish i still had it :(
  • Options
    dwightedwighte Member Posts: 5
    I have done various searches on this topic but have seen no specific responses. We are going to be doing a lot of driving in the Sierra Nevadas since we bought a cabin. I decided to buy some chains and went to Les Schawab and got some nicely designed and easy to install chains. THEN read the manual which does NOT recommend chains, but cables and says damage can result with "link type" chains. I looked at the chains again and they are rated "S" clearance, which Honda requires.

So...my question is has anyone actually used "link type" CHAINS on their CR-V without damage or had experience with this issue?

Thanks.
  • Options
    terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    The "damage" they refer to is undoubtedly what happens to metal-link chains if they break.

To demonstrate this for yourself, get a link of any size chain, stand over a piece of sheet metal, such as what cars are built from, and whip the chain down on it. Repeatedly. :P

It can happen, has happened to me. Chains are on, links break, and the chain is now a giant whip, loose and slamming into the car, underside, rear and sides, like a giant whip.

Newer, plastic-types are more forgiving on auto bodies, and easier to install, with Nylon cord holding them together. clipping to the sides, rather than having to get down on your hands and knees, on your back, to install when there is a blizzard outside, on the side of Highway 50 or I-80.

It simply depends on how often you will use them, and if you had the foresight to buy a AWD model, where you can sometimes be allowed through without chains. :)
  • Options
    The manual implies damage due to lack of clearance--damage to brake lines, body, and suspension elements. The cables are thinner than the chains. The manual says that "even if the chains seem tight" damage can still occur.

I agree a broken link would be diastrous, but that is not what the issue is in this case. It is the clearance, I believe.
  • Options
    Well, you would be the best judge of that, being able to physically inspect the clearance. If the cross links have play, the rotational force could cause them to lift somewhat higher and snag a line, as their warning implies.

I would ask ole Les to take them back, and you go buy the clip-ons.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think you are right.

I was hoping that maybe someone had actually used chains on a CRV and could speak from experience.

It is AWD. Maybe chains aren't necessary.
  • Options
    My business has one. It is AWD, but I have never put metal chains on it. Most of the time, going to Tahoe, the roads will be 4 Wheel drive OR snow tires/chains. It is rare they actually make you put on chains with AWD, only under conditions I really don't care to drive in.....
  • Options
    phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    You may want to check the laws in your state. In Oregon if they say you have to have chains going up the cascades and you get stuck with out them you get a hefty fine. If I remember correctly it was like $800 2-3 years ago. I thought it was strange that even though I had a 4X4 Ranger they still said I needed them. The laws might be different in your state but I would check to avoid the fine.
  • Options
    The law is the same in California. In the earlier stages, cars without FWD/AWD may proceed without chains, but you must carry them. There are other signs stating chains are required, however AWD/FWD may proceed, but must carry chains. :)
  • Options
    swvswv Member Posts: 7
    Don't remember what type of tires I have but I live in a snowy, hilly part of northeastern Ohio, and have put 148,500 miles on my 1999 CR-V with AWD. It has been wonderful for the amount of driving I do and the landscapes through which I travel. With AWD I never have to flick a switch, or to stop and consider whether or not now is a time to use it. The clearance is high enough that I have never once worried it would get stuck in snow. Am considering a move to a Camry Hybrid with traction control, but the CR-V has been nothing but dependable and great in all weathers.

swvsings
  • Options
    parkranger1parkranger1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Honda CRV with All wheel Drive (AWD) and it does very well in the snow. Drive slowly and carefully and your CRV will do great in the snow. :):):)

I have also used it for some light off road driving on muddy unpaved farm roads and while camping. ;)
  • Options
    camarracamarra Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2002 CRV with 120k miles that I bought brand new. I have never had a problem with the vehicle in the snow,and we live in a snowy, rural part of New Hampshire. I was running Hakkapelitta Ones for 5 years, and now have some brand new Winterforce tires. We just got 2.5 feet of snow, and I have a job which makes it mandatory for me to be at work when scheduled regardless of the weather, after a 40 mile drive. I have never worried that I would make it there. I will definitely consider buying another CRV when I am ready to replace this one (although I don't like the look of the 2007's all that much!)
  • Options
    parkranger1parkranger1 Member Posts: 2
    Go with the All Wheel Drive (AWD) model if you're in an area that gets snow.

FWD with traction control will only get you so far.
    I have driven both FWD and AWD and the AWD is much better in the snow. :)
  • Options
    topsidertopsider Member Posts: 10
    I live north of Boston, Ma and have 1998 Olds Intrigue with FWD and traction control. Never had an issue getting stuck on ice or snow. I leave the traction control on all the time.

Considering a 2007 Honda CRV or Rav4 and not sure if I should go with the AWD or FWD with traction control. The AWD has a little extra weight and slightly lower gas mileage. I don't do off roading.

Anyone have any input to help me with my decision.

Tks,
  • Options
    nearmspnearmsp Member Posts: 90
    We have a Odyssey with traction control. I just got my CRV EX-L AWD yesterday and we are having real foul winter weather in the upper mid-west and I was amazed how much more stable the AWD. I strongly recommend you doing a test drive on a snowy day to see the advantage of AWD. I had a breeze driving through snow today.
  • Options
    eforce2eforce2 Member Posts: 13
    Snow?? No problem, Yes they are good with stock tire which is BF Goodrich (Maryland area).
This discussion has been closed.