Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion xB Windshield cracks

Comments

• scionmessscionmess Member Posts: 1
    The one thing worse then a politician or a lawyer is………….a car sales men or dealership. Had the same problem that all the rest of you complained about but found no satisfactions. Called Scion and they passed the buck like Bush at a cocaine frat party or as a congressman on a page holiday.
    Look this all stems as I call it from the Microsoft syndrome. Make a product and if it doesn’t work run for cover till the next version.
    Each “CUSTOMER SERVICE” person I talked to had the same canned line… a rock hit the window. This rock had to be the size of a needle head cause the hole was the size of a needle point. But did anyone really care HELL NO AS LONG AS WE CAN NOT BE SEEN BY A PERSPECTIVE CUSTOMERS…they could give a #@!#$$%^.
    SO what I say is rather then foruming or blogging be active go down to your dealership and complain in front on the perspective customer…I am this Saturday at Crown Toyota in Cali….I want to at least save one soul from this hell….think of it as your good deed for the day. You may even want to return each Saturday till those dumb [non-permissible content removed] salesmen get the point…..make a happy customer and you will get great returns…………………..a DUH!!!!!!!
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "... rather then foruming or blogging be active go down to your dealership and complain in front on the perspective customer…... You may even want to return each Saturday till those dumb [non-permissible content removed] salesmen get the point..."

Picketing the dealership to make them replace your cracked windshield?
    We are not permitted to discuss a certain other approach here. But if you will be needing reimbursement for your cracked windshield, you might be interested in how that could happen. allanatherton -at- yahoo -dot- com.
  • darthclutchdarthclutch Member Posts: 18
    I did get my windshield replaced for free. The regional rep was not a good negotiator. I had a 35 minute conversation with him, which started with him telling me that there was nothing he could do about the windshield and that the company policy is rocks hitting the windshield are NOT covered by any warranty anwhere. I kept telling him how dissatisfied I was with the windshiled and that my 35 year old Datsun had a seriously pitted factory windshield and no cracks. I just kept hitting him that and wore him down until he asked if I would accept a new windshield for free. I accepted, of course. HA HA!

However, the fun didn't end there. The dealership had me come in and drop off the car, only to call me back 5 hours later to tell me they had to give me the car back because the replacement glass was cracked in the box. At least the service manageropened the next box before calling me to tell me to come in. Monkeys CAN be trained after all.

I have noticed that many older xBs I see parked around town have cracked windshields. One even had three cracks. Yikes.
  • big_loubig_lou Member Posts: 4
    I've had my xB for 3 months. I got in it after work, and noticed the same "L" shaped crack that starts at the top of the windshield right behind the rear view mirror, that others are seeing. I called the dealership who right away figured it was caused by a road hazard. I see no chips or markings anywhere near the crack. I'll be stopping by tomorrow afternoon at their request so they can take a look.

Oh yeah, they haven't heard of this problem either before this.
    Well...the rest of the story, as they say...the service manager at Novato, CA Toyato Scion treated me like I was a complete idiot. I've owned cars for 25 years now, and have been dealing with dealers and their staff for 20 of those years, and never did I feel so belittled and humiliated as I did yesterday. I've been a proud member of the U.S. Coast Guard for over 20 years now, and our core values are Honor, Respect, Devotion to Duty...so I'm not one to start ranting and raving in public. What was fortuitous was having a couple of young sailors asking about my xB on Monday, Tuesday was the day I found the crack, Wednesday was the day the dealer treated me like they were happy to have my money already and had no further interest in me...Thursday was my day to steer those two young sailors away from that dealership. While I've submitted my input for the law firm collecting information for the class action law suit, I'm also a realist and realize the $300 for a new windshield is coming out of my and my families pocket. I had religiously bought American cars for the last two and a half decades...this being the first foreign car I purchased...and I believe in my heart that this was one of the dumbest mistakes I've made. Over the years, I've had very good luck dealing with American car dealers, most very willing to at least consider what you were presenting to them. Novato Scion Toyota pretty much told me up front on the phone that it was road hazard damage, sight unseen, then proceeded to try and convince me of how stupid I was. My automobile goal for the next few years is to unload this thing as soon as I'm able to break even, let any of my juniors know who care to listen about my experience, and to get back to buying cars from people who give a rats [non-permissible content removed] about me as a customer.
    ...by the way...to their credit, they did offer to replace the windshield for me...

...for $410, not yen, American dollars...

...hopefully that service manage knows where he can put his replacement quote...

...and you others who have experienced the same problem? You also are irrelevant according to my Novato, CA dealership. Because, "You can read anything you want on the Internet. It doesn't mean it's true." Shame on you for leading me astray! ::big laugh::
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Did you call your insurance agent and see if you were covered?

Dennis
    I carry a $500 deductible. I was transferred from Virginia to California this summer, and we were amazed at the cost of living difference. It was one of the ways we were able to save a bit of money...I wish I had dug a little deeper when I was researching this car, if I had still purchased it, I would have left the comprehensive deductible at $100. In 25 years of car ownership, I've only ever had to replace one windshield from a road hazard, so I wasn't really expecting something like this. My bad.
  • clemmons1953clemmons1953 Member Posts: 6
    I bought my Scion XB in August 2006 and I have a cracked windshield for the 2nd time. I want to drive the car to the lot and leave it. Do you know if there is somthing I can do besides just getting another windshield?
    Thx
    clemmons
    On my first windshield, the salesman told me it was a rock and after a very heated discussion, I got a new windshield because my insurance does not cover it unless I pay 250.00 deductible. I worked hard to get my new car and now I am so disgusted with it. I want them to give me a new car because I do not want to go through this every 2 months. I am going to the dealership tomorrow. Wish me luck
    Thx
    clemmons
    "... Do you know if there is somthing I can do besides just getting another windshield?"
    "... I got a new windshield because my insurance does not cover it unless I pay 250.00 deductible."
    You can do something that may eventually reimburse you, but cannot be discussed in this commercial forum. Send me an email at allanatherton (at) yahoo (dot) com.
  • joesbarjoesbar Member Posts: 20
    This thread has me very worried. Anyone NOT have a windshield crack? I haven't but then I have 300 miles on the vehicle.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I have a friend with an xB that doesn't have any cracks. Remember the the message boards tend to amplify negative stuff a bit since people who are simply happy withtheir vehicle don't tend to shout it from the roof tops as often as those who may be experiencing some kind of issue.
  • hondadave7hondadave7 Member Posts: 27
    Hello,
    I have an xB without a cracked windshield and no loose rods
    in the engine. As soon as I got it home, I made a one piece strut bar with no adjustments. I thought that possibly the
    front end and body was shifting, causing the windshield to flex and crack. I have read a couple of messages about loose
    rods after running 4000 rpm for several hours. That sounded like a lack of proper lubrication. I changed the oil from 5w-30 to 15w-40 Castrol Diesel oil. The fuel mileage did drop
    slightly, but no loose rods. If my windshield cracks it will
    be posted here. 43,161 miles.
  • lavariouslavarious Member Posts: 11
    Yeah, I know all about windshield cracks. I have had my 2006 xB for 6 months and in those 6 months I have had to replace my windshield 7 times. The first few times were from tiny rocks hitting and cracking the windshield, but there have also been 2 stress cracks that I noticed when nothing hit the windshield at all. In the last week I have had to replace the glass 3 times. Yeah, 3 times in one week is really no fun at all.

I understand that I live in Arizona, so of course there is going to be more rocks on the road, but I have never in my life had some many cracks on a windshield. It seems that the smallest particle of dust will cause the windshield to crack. I have lived here for 5 years and with my other vehicle I only had 1 chip. My wife has only had 1 crack. My parents have never had any problems, nor have my friends, coworkers, or friendly animated neighborhood muppets.

I know the glass installers on a first name basis and it is embarrassing to have your glass replaced every month, or for a week straight for that matter. I finally broke down and asked them if they see anybody else with this problem and they told me that the Scion xB is the largest volume of calls they get to replace the windshield. The runner-up is a jeep. This is a national company, so that is pretty alarming. They said because the windshield has such a steep grade and because the car sits so low to the ground it is asking to be cracked and chipped.

Not only did the glass installers tell me this, but people on the street, at the car wash, at the gas station, and even other Scion xB owners have this same problem. Most of the time people will just come up and look at the windshield to see if there are chips or cracks. You know you are speaking to either an xB owner or friend of an xB owner when that happens.

I called the Toyota/Scion dealership where I purchased the car and they said they had never heard anything about it and blamed it on where I lived. Yeah, nice try there guys but I have lived here 5 years and have never in my life had to replace 3 windshields in 1 week. You would think I was getting these tailgaiting people but most of the cracks have occured 5-10 car lenghts away from the car in front of me, with no cars around me, traveling at speeds between 40-70mph.

I finally gave up with the last crack that just happened yesterday. I am having the windshield replaced right now and after work I am heading to a Chevrolet dealership to look at the HHR. All I ever wanted was an xB and it was fun for a while, but sadly it is just turning into a big headache month after month. Yeah, I am going to take a loss on the car and even though it makes me mad at least I won't have to drive like I am in a ceramic egg. I am sure the HHR will have its own unique set of problems, but hopefully they won't be as frustrating as the xB. :mad:
  • darthclutchdarthclutch Member Posts: 18
    I understand your frustration... but I don't think that the answer is an HHR. Come on, it's a Chevy! If you want a cool looking wagon and don't care about rapid depreciation, that's where to start! Toyotas are known for holding their value over time.

I have to admit, three times in a week is ridiculous. I'd be pretty upset, too.

My windshield cracked at 16 days and I managed to harass my way through Toyota's coroprate ladder until they replaced it for free. The winning line was "My 35 year old Datsun still has the factory glass and it is covered in pits and chips, bu the xB's cracked in 16 days." That was over 8,000 miles ago, no more cracks.
    I am on my 4th windshield and on top of that I have an oil leak and this is the 2nd time I have had to replace gaskets. I got in touch with Governors Office of Consumer Affairs in GA (the Attorney Generals office)thru Lemon Law website in my state. They sent me some forms to fill out that you send to Toyota home office and your finance company. I am mailing those forms and also all receipts for work done back to Attorney Generals office. They send a large mail envelope with the papers that you use to return the forms to them. I was suppose to hear from my dealership Franklin Toyota Scion yesterday and they did not return my call. I am not letting them get away with this. We all have to fight back. The stress that this issue has put on me is horrendous. I will keep you posted. DON'T GIVE UP FIGHTING. I am to the point that I not only want a new car but it is going to be free!!! Bye
    Brenda
    I would think a lemon claim on a windshield is going to be a tough one to sell. It will be hard (impossible?) to prove a manufacturing defect caused any of the ones you have had to fail. In fact, unless you always had the dealer replace the glass with more Toyota OEM glass then they could make a case that some of the replacements do not even count toward a lemon defect. A rock flies up and hits your glass (for all anyone knows) and you want them to buy back your car? That is going to be a really, really tough one to sell.

The design of the car would make it seem a lot more prone to getting hit - and when it does the lack of a lot of angle/slope to the glass would seem to make it more vulnerable to getting a chip or break rather than just having the object bounce off. Is that a "defect" in design? Not really, that is the "style" or the car.

Now if there is a problem with some xB's that the frame is not made right or there is too much flex that is placed on the glass or something. Or maybe Toyota got a bad batch of glass and you have had several of those? Something like that would be a fault that might could be addressed via the lemon law.

If you are getting yourself stressed out over this, you need to calm down and relax.

As to getting a new, free, car - I think that is only in your dreams. The best you can hope for is for them to just buy yours back from you.

Dennis
  • cococadidicococadidi Member Posts: 1
    My wife got a small rock chip yesterday. This morning, as soon as she turned on the defrost, a crack went all the way across the windshield. I've never had a car do that in my life. And I've had a lot of cars. Is there anything toyota is doing about this design flaw? thanks for any help. Rich
  • hondadave7hondadave7 Member Posts: 27
    Yes, Toyota has addressed the design weakness. Look at the '08 xB. The windshield is probably 5 or 6 inches shorter. The body
    also looks beefier. It's obvious too anyone, except Toyota, that the windshield on the '03-'06 xB carries to much structural load. It's under constant stress load. One little nick, or sometimes nothing at all the windshield gives in the form of a crack to reduce the stress. David
  • scionowner2scionowner2 Member Posts: 2
    Not yet at 5000 miles and our windshield has the same crack as many others - starts behind the rear view mirrow and curves toward the drivers side. We will contact our dealer in Beaverton, Oregon with a copy of these forum messages and see if they will cover the replacement. Will report back...It seems obvious there is a design flaw that needs to be addressed...or they should warn people of the potential for problems...Otherwise, we love the car & have been happy with the purchase.
    I have some good news. I did not give up and Toyota has accepted my case. After they found out that I contacted my states consumer affairs and was going to proceed with the Lemon Law they decided listen to me. I know its tiring but you have to keep on until you get the answer you want. Contact:
    National Center for Dispute Settlement
    22500 Metropolitian Parkway - Suite 200
    Clinton Township, MI 48035

Good Luck
    clemmons1953
    I have good news. They did accept that there is a flaw in the car body style. When my Toyota dealership found out that I had started the Lemon Law process and I had records of complaint calls to Toyota and paperwork that the Office of Consumer Affairs sent me I was contacted by the National Center for Dispute Settlement in Michigan and they accepted my case and they also know that I will not accept anything but a new car. It takes a lot of effort to take something like this on but I am not paying $400 a month and always drive in fear. I will keep you abreast of their decision.
    clemmons1953
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Congrats on making it this far! It's good to know they are taking you seriously.
  • rcommerrcommer Member Posts: 1
    Last night as I was driving north on highway 17, a rock hit my windshield. I knew this would eventually happen but I didn't realize it would happen within two weeks of me owning the new car!!!

The rock chipped the glass just behind and kinda to the right of the rear view mirror... there is also a crack that runs from the chip to the top of the glass (about 2 inches) and from the chip down and curves across to the left, towards the driver's side (24+ inches)

Needless to say I was very bummed out when this happened but after I got over the shock of what happened, I made a few calls. My friend told me that auto insurance coverage out here in Arizona covers windshields... I called my insurance company and inquired about this "windshield" policy... they told me I had it, and tomorrow someone is coming out to replace the glass... for free!

I'm really stoked about that BUT...

After finding this forum and reading the posts, I am in shock to discover that Toyota has disclosed a design flaw in the scion xB.

This makes me wonder how many time I may have to replace the glass in my car...

I have two choices:

A. Just deal with what I have
    B. Make something happen

Please advise
  • wtbdwtbd Member Posts: 3
    I just got a windshield crack and there doesnt seem to be a point of any impact that should have caused this, and I have only had my car for eight months, and seeing your story really makes me concerned that this will be the start of a horrible story for me. I wanted to know what where the steps you took in order to get your case heard. If you could help I would greatly appreciate it. I also have a guy coming in tomorrow to fix it, would this be something i should wait on since i need proof of the damage ? or should i just take some photos?
  • scionskepticscionskeptic Member Posts: 11
    You may want to take it to a dealer before paying to have someone come out and fix it. I'm getting ready for my 3rd windshield. Is it one of the cracks that starts by the frame, then makes a 90 degree turn?
    I did take it to the dealer this morning they said that the warranty would not cover it, and quickly let me know that it would be $900.00 to fix. The crack starts at the right side of the frame then swirves toward the drivers side. There's no where on the car where there is a chip of some sort or anything. They did a pen test and said that because it doesnt pass it it would not be covered under warranty.
    shouldnt it be a manufactures flaw if the crack seems to start by the very edge beneath the rubber? even if it doesnt pass the pen test they do?
    Go ahead and get windshield replaced but take a picture also save all paper work. I will get back to you with phone numbers on how to start. The customer service # for Toyota complaints is 866-707-2466 and let them know that you have same problem and they will give you a case #. Save and document. Next investigate your lemon laws for your state by doing google Lemon Law search. I have a hearing at 10:00 in the morning with the mediator and Toyota. Wish me luck and I will let you know what happened.
    Ths
    bclemmons
    I am curious what the verdict will be in your arbitration, so please update us when you can. Did you go through the Toyota/Scion mediation service that they provide a number for in the Scion Owners Manual?
    "... After finding this forum and reading the posts, I am in shock to discover that Toyota has disclosed a design flaw in the scion xB."

I don't think that is correct. What did you see that? Even in the Nov 2006 settlement to reimburse Element owners for cracks, Toyota did not admit a flaw. There is no reason why Toyota should now admit or will ever admit a flaw in the xB. Even if they ever pay for the windshields.
  • dragonfishdragonfish Member Posts: 6
    A small rock hit my windshield a few days back and now I have a crack that seems to be extending everyday. I've had my xB for over a year now and never knew there was a problem with xB windshields until I Googl'ed "xb windshield" trying to see how much it would cost to replace the windshield without going through my insurance company. Now I'm wondering if I should argue design flaw because even though a small rock hit my windshield, it should not have resulted in such a large crack, which appears to be continually growing. Please advise.
    Also, has anyone contacted "Fazio Micheletti"?
  • erichderichd Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if it's specific tot he xB, but whenever you get a crack in ANY windshield, if you don't get it "plugged" or repaired immediately, the crack can spread, or spider web, rather quickly across the whole windshield.

It m,ay be that the xB's windshield allows a faster propagation of the crack, but if there aren't repair records, I can't see that Toyota or any manufacturer would replace the windshield.
    I finally had time to take my 2006 Scion XB ( 2nd 2006 Scion XB)to the dealership today regarding the crack (2nd one)that started at the frame behind the mirror and come down then turn towards the drivers side (we all know what that looks like). I took it to Lakeland Toyota here in Lakeland, Florida and was told by the service advisor, Mr. Jeffrey Davis, that they really don't replace the windshields there that you just call your insurance company and they come out and do it in your driveway. I responded with the verbiage "so your telling me that Lakeland Toyota does not replace the windshields here?" to which he responded "yes". I told him that rather than call my insurance company I would rather contact our local ABC news. I was then given the opportunity to come in and meet with the service manager because it seems he has this God like power to authorize Lakeland Toyota to replace the windshield if they determine it''s defective. I so don't trust Toyota (Scion) anymore I actually took video of the crack from every different direction possible cause I'm afraid they will take the car to the bay then call to show me a chip that has never been there before, in other words, I wouldn't put it past them to cause a chip in my windshield deliberately to get out of replacing another one.
    Toyota does not pay for cracked windshields, yet. Officially, they are due to rock damage. So if the dealer replaces a cracked windshield, they cannot get reimbursed for it by Toyota. Why should the dealer pay for cracked windshields when Toyota will not? What responsibility does the dealer have by himself for your crack? You need to follow the example of Honda Element owners who succeeded in getting reimbursed up to 60,000 miles for any cracked windshields regardless of circumstances.
  • pjsteinberg1pjsteinberg1 Member Posts: 2
    Scion less than one month old. Windshield hit by piece of gravel so small impact was almost inaudible. About one half hour later I noticed a crack. Started at the bottom of the windshield, went up about seven inches, made a right-hand turn about seven inches and stopped. Dealer has been notified, have not heard from service dept yet.
    I have also posted with law firm that was successful in it's class action suit re: Honda Element. Also the NHTSA. Just talking about this situation on these forums will not be enough to resolve this issue.
    Could you please post law firms contact information or email to thatnamesused@aol.com Thank you so much for your assistance!
    I would think a crack from a rock strike would not be something you would get replaced for from Toyota - I mean that happens ALL the time to lots of cars, there a dozens of auto glass places in town to take care of that.

Now if your glass was cracking due to stress or flex that is something else.

How to prove it either way could be a problem.

Next time I am talking with my agent I will ask how this is covered under my insurance - it is 100% covered or a deductible or what. What does your insurance say?

Dennis
    The rock impact causes a pit. In most windshields, this is not a problem and many pits are accumulated. The xB windshield is evidently under stress, such that the pit soon radiates a crack. Some windshields must have enough stress to crack without a pit, as cracks have happened while the car was parked in the sun, or parked in a garage.
  • pjsteinberg1pjsteinberg1 Member Posts: 2
    This is the firm that successfully negotiated a settlement with Honda. With enough input to them from Scion owners it is possible that we may also have a shot at fair and reasonable compensation.

http://www.fazmiclaw.com/classactions.html
    I just wanted to update everyone what has been going on with my xB and the windshield. Basically the dealership blew me off about the whole issue. Scion Customer Experience was worthless and mailed all of my windshield replacement invoices, 8 windshields in 6 months, to their Legal team. I wasn’t going to wait around to hear what they said so I contacted an attorney to get the lemon law case started.

I had a LOT of documentation that I provided to my lawyer along with audio recordings of Scion and Toyota representatives saying that the stress crack issue is a problem, but one they are not officially recognizing. This was just a few audio clips out of a dozen gems I have collected about this issue. All my attorney did was send a letter with my intent to take them to court over the issue and they caved. He didn’t even have to file a complaint.

What happened? Toyota repurchased my car. It took about 20 days for them to line up all the paperwork on their end. If anyone has questions please feel free to email me. lavarious@lavarious.com
    So Toyota repurchased the whole car rather than pay for all the windshields?
    As if the particular car itself was a lemon. This is more expedient and cheaper than admiting that all the cars have the inherent problem, and agreeing to replace any and all windshields that crack.
    It seems to indicate that Honda Element settlement approach will not go anywhere for our out-of-production xBs, and that people should collect windshield crack documentation in anticipation of when their crack may happen, so they have something to give their lawyer for a letter, in case the dealer does not agree to replace the windshield.
    Correct. In my opinion, and what has happened with my case, I believe that Toyota does indeed know about the problem but act as if they do not. They are weighing which will be more expensive:

A) Act like nothing is wrong and repurchase the cars of a few people who actually hire an attorney to take them to court.

or

B) Acknowledge there is a design defect in the vehicle and either replace/refund everyone for their windshields or have a class action suit to pay out to.

They could care less about their customers; they are more concerned about their bottom line. The 2008 xB is completely redesigned in terms of its windshield. It is 4" shorter and has a longer grade to help with deflection. I have a Scion rep recorded telling me they did this because of the windshield issue. I have all sorts of interesting audio clips and documentation. I will be launching a website shortly to show everyone exactly what I did to win my case, what I used to collect evidence, and who my attorney was in case you'd like some advice from him as well.

Scion/Toyota could have easily just taken care of this straight away, but instead they played games and pissed me off. I want to make sure those of you who are serious about this and want to hire an attorney have the evidence you need to win your case. I believe that if you use my attorney, or possibly one of his contacts in your local state, you can use the evidence I have already collected against them on this issue.

What do I get out of it? Satisfaction. That is all. My website will be completely free and used as an informational source. I know what a headache it was for me to go through this entire deal and how much stress I was under, so I want to help out fellow drivers who have done nothing wrong other than purchase a car that is obviously flawed.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    FWIW, windshields on practically all vehicles today are part of the structural integrity of the body design, and are designed to be under stress. Lose integrity of the windshield, and you lose structural integrity of the roof system.

The primary reason for the xB windshield cracks, etc. is the more vertical "stance" of its design. And, the probability of the tempering level of the safety glass.
    It is a big hunk of glass in a nearly vertical position. So any rocks or other road debris that hit it are much more likely to cause a chip, crack, or break. Most other modern cars have a ton more slope on the glass for aerodynamic (and style) reasons and the same hit would be a lot less likely to result in damage. Is this a design flaw or just the style of the xB? For the problems caused just by road debris, I would vote for style. A penalty you have to pay for having the box - you may be more prone to glass damage than on other cars.

But it seems that some folks either drive in the worst conditions constantly, have really rotten luck, or do have some flex or weakness in their xBs that cause them go through many, many windshields. I guess it could be that the OEM FACTORY glass works best at handling the stress and strain of the design, but once this breaks (maybe from road junk?) the aftermarket or OEM dealer replacement glass just can't hack it and breaks for both road junk and from stress and strain? I would be for cost reasons, the majority of folks have gone aftermarket for the glass and not even tried another OEM replacement. Even if they did, is the dealer installed glass the same as the factory glass?

There are plenty of xBs on the road with the original glass in them, so if it is a "design flaw" it does not affect that many of the cars. Maybe the problem comes in after you have had to replace the glass for any reason, then your box becomes a glass eater?

Just wondering.

Dennis
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Congrats, and thank you for taking the time to organize a site of that nature. I am sure it will be helpful to future xB owners.
    My xB had tons of OEM glass put into it and it cracked just the same. This wasn't caused by road debris or impacts; it was caused from sitting in the sun and the frame flexing. How do I know that caused the crack? I have spoken with several Toyota/Scion service people who have told me they have been standing next to the cars when it happens. Want to know the real kicker? I have it all recorded on audio.

I have used around 3 different makes of glass in the car and none of them would stop the cracking. I got it replaced through a 3rd party vendor because my dealership refused to replace the glass in it because they claimed it was caused by impacts, which it was not. It cracked the 2nd day I had it. They actually told me to use my insurance and a 3rd party vendor.

To give you an example of the cracking: I got into my car on a Monday, after the glass had been replaced on the following Friday, the car sat all weekend and was never moved. I got into the car and there is a crack in it running from center about 6 inches, taking a 90 degree turn heading towards the passengers side about 14 inches. We are talking like a 20 inch crack caused by nothing. Sure, I had impacts almost on a bi-weekly basis causing chips, pits, cracks, and stars, but these were always after the stress crack appeared. I finally gave up replacing the glass and decided I would just drive it until I could no longer see out of the windshield. Luckily I no longer own the car, but I am sure some sad sap is going to go to that dealership, purchase it, and have a big headache on his/her hands.
    My 1991 Mazda truck has a vertical windshield like the xB, which is why I got the xB -- ease of entry. The truck is on its third windshield in 150,000 miles, but only because large impacts did serious immediate damage. The windshields accumulate many audible small pebble strikes which cause numerous tiny pits but no cracking.

My 2006 xB windshield has not cracked in 12,000 miles only because I don't drive where it is likely to be hit by a pebble to make a pit, and the car is parked all day in a garage out of the sun.

If I was unable to protect my xB in these ways, and if/when I started replacing windshields, I would get another car.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    rocks flying off of truck and car tires here in SE Arizona than my state of birth, Washington state. In Washington state it seemed like I got a flying rock pitting my windshield every month. One time I was driving my '01 Kia Sportage 4X4 south on I-5 coming out of Mount Vernon towards Everett/Seattle.

I was going my normal 60-70mph in the Sportage. Suddenly some hick in a logging truck goes flying by me in the fast lane(I was in the middle lane). He was really accelerating to storm up a large and long hill just south of Mt.Vernon.

Pock! A good-sized rock, probably off of one of the logs on his truck, or his tires kicked it up, came flying into and off of my windshield. It was a bad ping-ding, one that started to spread soon after impact.

I notice here in Arizona that there are no flying rocks or even pebbles. Missouri had some but not like Washington and South Dakota also had very few. Driving in Washington state requires protective equipment for your rig. No kidding.

I am not kidding but I have not had a single pebble or rock(or a bone...that's right...once again, going south on I-5 in Everett, WA, north of Seattle, I was driving to work one morning and a loud SMACK bonks my windshield. An dork in a pickup truck with a dog in the back let loose somehow of a bone...talking cattle bones here. It bounced up high on the freeway and back in to the air again and found a nice place on my rig's windshield to bounce off of. Another crack that needed professional repair. I'm glad to be out of that state for more reasons than rocks, pebbles and bones)in Arizona bounce into and off of my windshield.

I should just drop it(pardon any pun)and hope that I don't find any window-pockers down here. I do feel bad for those that are having problems with their Scion windshields. A big boy company like Toyota/Scion should be stepping up to the plate and compensating you. Sounds like a bad design idea that's already out and they can't just pull the plug on the vehicle because it's out and sold already.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

This discussion has been closed.