Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Exterior & Bodywork Questions

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
Honda Fit Paint Problems

Comments

• carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    Over on "Fit Freak" there are quite a few people complaining about paint peeling from there bumpers. Hasn't happened to me yet, although I really don't do that close of inspection. But I will soon.
  • crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    It has happened to me :cry:
    It seems as though the paint peeling by the bumper (where it meets the car panel) is increasing. Going to check mine everyday. Fitfreak.net has pictures.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    It seems as though the paint peeling by the bumper (where it meets the car panel) is increasing.

No worries. The paint that is peeling is high quality Honda paint. :P
    Moparbad, why do you have to be sarcastic all the time? Its getting old.
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    I don't know that he's being sarcastic; Honda is known far and wide for poor quality paint.
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    "far and wide..."
    Any particular models?
    Out of all the Hondas my family has had, we have never had problems with the original paint even on 17 or 18 year old cars. Knock on wood, no problems have appeared yet on the Fit.
    My last car however was a white Corolla made in a factory Toyota shares with GM. When I washed the car, the paint would come off in my hands.
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    I live in central Florida.

All you have to do is take a look around at the older Hondas. I see them all the time.

Also, lurk on the Honda enthusiast message boards around the Internet, and you'll find plenty of references to paint fading, delaminating, and chipping easily.
    Any particular models?

Civic Si 2002-2005 from the Swindon plant is known to have peeling paint problems. Specifically on the front bumper.
    Many manufacturers have experienced paint durability problems since environmentally safe paint facilities were mandated.
    Moparbad, why do you have to be sarcastic all the time? Its getting old.

Is there a Honda Fit problem you would care to discuss?

According to carfanatic Japanese cars do not have problems, therefore, there can be no Fit problems.
    "Civic Si 2002-2005 from the Swindon plant is known to have peeling paint problems."

I don't know why, but I was kind of suspecting it would be a model from the Swindon plant...I just had never heard of this being a major issue. I was looking at purchasing a Civic Si in 2005, but decided to hold out for the Fit when Honda finally announced it would be arriving.

So far no problems with the paint...yet. ;)

"Many manufacturers have experienced paint durability problems since environmentally safe paint facilities were mandated."
    Seems logical...thanks for the explanation.
    I'm not going to argue with you, I don't argue with people like you. Have fun.
    I'm not going to argue with you, I don't argue with people like you.

Good decision. Try using logic, reasoning, and use of relevant evidence to support a position instead of anecdotal experience and presenting opinion as fact and I won't correct people like you.

Regarding Fit problems, I posted in the general Fit topic about the Fit (Jazz) being awarded most reliable car in the UK, bodes well for the Fit.
  • frogdaddyfrogdaddy Member Posts: 33
    I read all the people over at "Fit Freak" complaining about paint peeling at the seam where the bumper meats the body.
    I then checked mine and yup it's peeling on one corner. Argh!!!! I called American Honda and filed a complaint which will go to someone. They then recommend going to dealer to repaint. Can a good repaint be done nowadays? I hate bad paint jobs. At least it's the plastic and nothing else. Anyone else? :cry:
  • hondafulhondaful Member Posts: 32
    Haven't got my Fit yet, but I've had repaints of plastic bumpers on previous Hondas due to minor scrapes. Never had a problem - looked good and held up well. The trick is to find a good body shop. My local Honda dealer has a good body shop, and is also the first place that my insurance company recommends I go, so it's a no-brainer.
  • inaudibleinaudible Member Posts: 9
    does anyone know what color these chips are occuring on? different pigments will chip under different circumstances, so the color is the major factor. (i have a black one and have seen no problems over the last 4 months/8k miles)

anyone remember the paint chipping fiasco with the first generation purple and white neons? lets hope it doesnt get to that point!
    Thanks to reading the forum on fitfreak I noticed paint peeling on two rear side panels where it meets the bumper. It's sucks after only having the car a couple of months. :cry:
    When you say "peeling", how much is actually coming off?
    I've had my Storm Silver for over 4 months now and nothing of the sort has happened.
  • knifeedge_2k1knifeedge_2k1 Member Posts: 15
    noooo hvn't even had teh car for a month yet ... and there's a big ding on the front hood, good thing the primer is still there so it wont rust over yet
  • elladineelladine Member Posts: 9
    i was going to order a blue fit sport, actually i did order one. and i was supposed to get it middle of august, when i went to check on it they said they ordered it every month and honda just wasn't sending any. they said they quit with the blue ones cause of the paint was chipping off them. so i ordered an orange one. the guy said so far no orange ones were brought back with that problem, only the blue ones. so i dunno if it's only those or what...

i'm pretty annoyed, now i have to wait another 3 months for it to come...that'll be a 6 long month wait for a new car already...
    well my dealer said that it's not the paint that is preventing blue fits from being shipped, but that honda just doesn't manufacture very many of them, even if they're ordered, which sounds like a crock...but we'll see i guess...
  • arlesarles Member Posts: 15
    I have had my blue Fit for four months. I have not seen any paint peeling problems.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I've owned several Hondas, and never had a paint problem. All of these came from the Ontario plant. Now, my wife's Dodge Grand Caravan ES is another story. The paint delamination problem is a BIG problem. It simply comes off in sheets when washing the car by hand.

I never had any problems with this when manufacturers were using oil-based primers. Now that they're using water-based primers, it seems like a number of manufacturers are having paint issues. We all should initiate a buyer's revolt! Heck, my 1985 SAAB's paint is still in excellent condition.
    well all the fits have to come from Japan yes? at least that's what my dealer said. so i dunno. my fit will hopefully be in my hands today, but i dunno for sure. so unfortunately i can't say too much more on the subject yet =\
  • crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    There's a gigantic thread on Fitfreak.net regarding the peeling paint. It happens on all trims, all colors. I have an Alabaster Silver with paint rubbing off on the rear bumper, both sides.

Ironically, since an incident with a curb and the front wheel, there's a slight gap 2mm between the front fender and front bumper that the service guys couldn't close 100%, meaning the paint on my front bumper is A OK
    There is a small dot of paint between the bumper and body of car. The seam where the two meat. The paint is described as somewhat "gummy" or smudgy like. It's flaking or peeling at the tightest point where they meet. The theory is that the paint was dry or they rushed to get these cars to market. At the point where they meet they rub causing the paint to peel. I don't want to have the bumpers repainted so the recommendation on the fitfreak.net forum was to use a 3/16 stainless washer between the bumper and body. I use a rubber one. 1 screw is all it takes to remove at that point. I've had mine since June.
  • tottot Member Posts: 3
    I cannot believe how easily the paint chips. My front end has hundreds of tiny little chips in the paint the expose a while color underneath the gray paint. I used touch up paint to 20-30 of them. Looks like crap. I have been driving for 30 years and never had this problem :mad:
  • fittmanfittman Member Posts: 7
    Hmmm!, After reading these postings, I've decided that one of the first things that I plan to get for my Fit upon arrival, is the 3m clear protective films (Google "clear bras")followed by side moldings, as I don't wish to pick up a severe case of parking lot rash! :-)
  • bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    Fittman,

Pls tell us where you plan to buy the side moldings. Thanks......

Bubba :)
  • fittmanfittman Member Posts: 7
    I found a company in the Phillipines, maxdax.com that advertises them; however, you have to email them for pricing info. Also, I've been aearching ebay.UK, and you can Google Honda "Jazz". The problem is the figuring whath the dollar exchange rate is, and whether the cost/shipping will be prohibitive! Oh, well, I don't even have the CAR yet, and I'm already figuring ways to spend MORE money on it. Am I having a "Fit" or what ?!? :-)
  • bmp956bmp956 Member Posts: 4
    Boy am I bumming. Brought my new ride home the day after snow, so needless to say had lots of road salt covering the beautiful NHBP finish. Went and got a sponge with a terry covering and Simonize car wash, cleaned off the muck, and when it dried I noticed I've now got a case of "The Swirlies". :cry: Not happy being into a mere 2 days of ownership. I did ask the salesman about care of the new paint, and he said business as usual, though maybe wait a month or so before waxing.

Anyone else have this experience? If so, does a good waxing bring back the original finish?
  • cindyjcindyj Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone experienced a crack on the windshield of their fit that was not from a rock hitting it? I am currently trying to get my windhield replaced under warranty and am looking to build my case as the dealership claims that Fits do not get stress fractures, yet that is exactly what it is. The crack is located on the lower passenger side of the windshield.
  • toebitustoebitus Member Posts: 5
    2007 model,it`s my wife`s car.she opened the garage door and started to back out-Boom-death of a window.has this happened to anybody else?
  • ringo3ringo3 Member Posts: 5
    I'm having the exact same problem as cindyj!!
    I have my Fit for one year now and I noticed a small stress fracture on the lower passenger side of the windsheild a few months ago. Then recently exact same fracture(like a half- moon shape) apperred on the driver's side, too. I have not been to a dealership yet, but they do look like stress fractures to me :(
    call-call-call,,,,honda america---i did.i took it back to dealer,they replaced it---no charge.they kinda acted like it might be a problem,said they had to call honda,they could tell i was little upset about it.they got a rental to get me home (thursday; note the rental guy wanted to sell extra "gap" insurance like 16.00/28.00 a day,15 mint.s out he calls me to say that the car will be ready friday night-wanting to see if i would buy the extra insurance i declined again) on friday i called honda america told them we had the car only 7100 miles/3.5 monthes.they said sounds like it should warantty,if dealer won`t-they will, to call them back---1.800.999.1009---Pacific time (9.00 am-5.00pm) dealer didn`t call me till lunch time friday to say it was ready.ok maybe a little too much info there anyhoos my 2 cents honda has a problem with the windshieds breaking for no reason. p.s. all yous gramer/spelling [non-permissible content removed] need to get out of the basement peace out/good luck (that is the correct #)...tony c.
  • reconman1reconman1 Member Posts: 2
    bmp956, im a detail manager at a honda dealership in new york, so i feel for you about the snow. the best thing i can recommend for you is #1. dont ask a salesperson about car care...lol.

#2 with a car that new you can wax it right away to bring back finish
  • gbw1gbw1 Member Posts: 6
    I have a blue fit, 14 months, and its chipping a lot. Will honda do anything?
  • aron5aron5 Member Posts: 3
    My Tidewater Blue Fit arrived today. I didn't get there until after dark, but it looked purple-ish! Can anyone else share their comments or photos? And can anyone else share first hand impression or photos of the blackberry pearl? Is it black? Purple? Blue?
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    its a very dark purpilish color. like a, well blackberry.
  • zombietom3zombietom3 Member Posts: 74
    I'm shopping slowly for a small wagon/hatchback for purchase next summer. I like the fit for it's great fuel economy and compact size for easy fit in a small garage. But I have a few nits. Is anyone else bothered by the non-availability of body side moldings? If not, how did you feel the first time you found a parking lot ding in your door? I don't buy a car very often so want one that I can be happy with for a very long time. Thanks for your input.
    I've owned my blue sport auto fit for 15 months (20,000) I cannot believe all the paint chips and pits. On top of that, I get 24 mpg in town - very little stop & go. Add that to the road noise, and highway speed buffeting above, and I would noy buy one.
    gary
    I've owned my blue sport auto fit for 15 months (20,000) I cannot believe all the paint chips and pits. On top of that, I get 24 mpg in town - very little stop & go. Add that to the road noise, and highway speed buffeting above, and I would not suggest this car to anyone.
    gary
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Body side moldings are available aftermarket. There's been some posts on Fit moldings in the past, but I can't locate them right now.

If you can wait a couple of more months, the next-gen Fit is due out next fall.
  • mankomanko Member Posts: 9
    If dings are a concern, then there's only one way to avoid them, and that's to not park where other people are or only in spaces that allow enough space so that the next person can't possibly open their door into you. I've done this for my Fit for a year and a half now and not one single ding, blemish, or scratch. Same with the xB I had before too. Better to walk a little further than have some careless twit damage the car.

As for moldings, you can get them after market like mentioned earlier, but a 1" strip of plastic isn't gonna do a whole lot quite honestly, and they're not particularly attractive either.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Unfortunately that doesn't work. I did the same thing when I owned the great-grandfather (?) of the Fit, a Civic S, many years ago. Always parked it far away from other cars. One day after about a year, I parked it at a bank, way off in a corner with no other cars around it, with a curb on its right side. Safe, yes? No. A huge old two-door car not only parked right next to it, but backed in so the driver's door was alongside my car. And it parked very close, although there were no other cars around it. And this car had a high, big side molding. So guess what happened? Huge dent on my car's door.

Side moldings won't ensure no dents, but they will protect the car from a lot of damage. Also, sometimes it's just not feasible to park where other cars aren't. Or it may not matter if you do.
  • charmedseedcharmedseed Member Posts: 6
    I have the silver and have noticed no paint peeling. Live in Colorado, so there's low moisture pretty much year round, but keep the vehicle outside, no garage. :)

Now, getting dinged by my jerk neighbors... that's another story. :sick:
  • cekirbycekirby Member Posts: 1
    Greetings..

Yep! Fit is about 15 months old. Fracture/crack on windshield...lower passenger side. No impact. Car just sitting in the driveway.

What steps did you take to secure remedy from Honda? Did you have success??

Thanks for your help!
    i already gave ya`ll the info to do it-just do it--honda has sold every single "fit" that they haven`t evan built yet---have you ever seen one advertised on TV other than the fit is go add.??? call them they will take care of you.email me and i`ll send you a pic of the broken window---saltydeadfish@yahoo.com">
  • brittany493brittany493 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2008 Honda Fit Sport. I have a small crescent-shaped crack in the bottom left corner of my windsheild. I'm not sure if a rock hit it or not. I kind of just looked and it was there. I'm suprised there are so many similar problems. I'm going to try and get the dealer to fix it.
  • gary80gary80 Member Posts: 4
    Same thing with my car. Fracture of the lower passenger corner. Dealer states this is not a problem with the fit and refuses to repair it. I will try to contact Honda directly. Anyone have any luck trying this to get it repaired?