Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 350

Comments

• sjabsjab Member Posts: 2
    Last winter I had no problems with my brakes however, this winter my brakes squeal horribly in the cold weather . I had it in a few weeks ago and they said Lexus is aware of the problem but they offered no solution. Has anyone else had this issue? Were they able to solve it? It's embarassing to drive such a beautiful, expensive car and pull up to the stoplight and have people stare beacuse of the squealing.
  • datribdatrib Member Posts: 12
    There is a solution! I had the same problem last winter and my dealer supplied me with a quit brake pad. Call around if you need to but the solution is out there. If I hear your still having problems I forward you the specs.
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    Same here with my 07GS350AWD.
    Didn't happen 1st winter. Last winter started happenning.
    This year it already happened when the cold weather arrived.

Talked to service dealer today. Fix is on the way, probably in
    Jan 09. Hopefully it will fix the brake dust issue too. Hang in
    there.

Squealing brakes don't bother me much as the windshield ticking
    noise. But it will be taken care next month when I bring
    the car in.
  • carjunkie4carjunkie4 Member Posts: 7
    I own a 2008 GS AWD and noticed as the weather has gotten colder that my front doors and front window rattle and squeek. This sounds tends to become more pronounced as the drive the car longer periods of time.

I also notice that my brakes are beginning to make noise after only 8500 miles. Is there a fix for this and the great amount of brake dust?

Lastly has anyone been able to come across mud flaps for the vehicle?

Thank you
    http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/parts_detail.asp?id=90300&all=Y
    for mudguards.

Fix for brake squealing & dust coming next January.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Is that correct $300. for the mud guard set?
    Indeed, it is for a set of 4.
    Probably more at dealers.
    I'll pass on this one.
  • ractlcractlc Member Posts: 2
    My 07 GS 350 AWD has the same rattles and break squeak. The rattles happened last winter also. I took it to the dealer and they said the dash board was hitting the windshield. They installed a new gasket and didn't have another noise all last winter. The rattle has started up again this winter. I have an appointment to fix it again along with them looking at the squeaky breaks.
  • donsfandonsfan Member Posts: 3
    My '07 squeaks and creaks all over the dashboard/windscreen. Dealer replaced "gasket" last winter - problem still there - only happens when less than 50 degrees. Brakes squeal too.
    Tell your dealer to repair the windshield noise
    according to TSB NV005-06 (Upper/Lower Windshield Noise).

Mine is due for repair this week for the Lower noise.
    Windshield noise occurs when the temp is around 40F.
    The brakes squeal occurs around 30F. Lexus is working
    on this issue. Hopefully they'll have a fix in Jan 09 from what I
    heard.
  • njownernjowner Member Posts: 1
    Spoke to Lexus 4 times this week about brake screech.
    Only answer was "Japan is aware of the problem and their first try at a solution failed."
    I have a $60,000 automobile that sounds worse than a NYC taxicab with no date for any resolution.
    Very poor response.
    60K-WOW- I was offered $45,820 for a AWD with the NAV and every other accessories and option except the ML.
  • punapuna Member Posts: 3
    I recently got a 2008 GS-350, am very happy with the car, got it from one of the major dealers here in Atlanta, I wasnt very happy with the process and the way I was treated in the dealership when I picked up the car and I expressed my unhappiness to the GM.
    I never heard back from him or any one else...
    I was wondering how long it takes for Lexus to send the feedback survey?, is it a phone survey or a form?

Also are there any other things I should expect from Lexus after the purchase of the car?

Can I take my car for the 1K and 5K service to a different dealer?
    You can take your car to any Lexus dealership.
    What in particular you did not like about the dealership when you picked up your car?
  • acctprofacctprof Member Posts: 41
    Last year I bought an RX350 for my wife at Nalley Lexus. We had a good buying experience from them and felt good about the process. We have been back once for service and had a good experience then too.

The written survey should come in the first month. I'm surprise the GM didn't get back with you. Not very Lexus-like, but dealers vary in their service. I left the dealer in Macon because of poor service.

Where did you go in ATL?
  • ben721364ben721364 Member Posts: 22
    Could there be more to this story than we have seen?
  • neophiteneophite Member Posts: 1
    I've been chasing the break-screech for several months - same feedback. In late December I was told either new pads or spacers would be availalbe in January to correct the issue. NYC taxicab is a interesting description - I used School Bus and Dump Truck a few times.

I also have a squeak on the WIndshield / dash area that occurs in cold weather. Minor bumps in the road and turns into a parking lot that make the car flex create the noise. Inside Rearview mirror also vibrates (a lot) when the sun roof is open. Makes me wonder about the body handles flex.
  • v312155v312155 Member Posts: 14
    I own a 2007 GS 350 AWD - best car I've ever owned - I had the same problems a year ago and took it to a Wilkie Lexus, Haverford PA - the problems were repaired in a few hours - to stop the windshield squeak, techs need to remove the dash - I was told the brakes and windshield are a known problem and items available for repairs - call the Lexus Customer Service toll free number for advice - it's in your manual -
    The TSB for creaking windshield I posted previously did not fix
    the creaking noise. I inserted a soft foam as a cushion between
    the windshield & dashboard on both driver side & passenger side. The creaking noise is very much gone every time the
    car runs over a bump now. The insertion is between the vent
    hole & a small speaker on the dashboard, on each side.

The TSB for rearview mirror fixed the vibration. The dealer
    has to replace a mirror. The mirror costs a fortune, but it's
    covered under warranty.

Still waiting for a fix to the brake squealing noise. Dealer will let
    me know when the new parts arrive (ETA in late Jan 09).
    Today outside temperature is below 32F, and the brakes squeal
    every time I used them. Kinda annoying.
    Dealer let me know the new front pads and rotors are available to
    fix the brake squealing noise today.
    Did anyone have yours replaced?
    Have an appt to replace mine in 2 weeks.
  • sjabsjab Member Posts: 2
    I just took my car in today to have them replaced. Seems to have worked but I only drove it for about 30 minutes (drive home from the dealer) so my hope that is the quiet continues!! YEAH!!
    I hope the new pads will also fix the excessive dust issue.
  • highfoxhighfox Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2007 GS350, and have the dash rattle and brake screech problems. My dealer told me the dash is a 6 hour fix, and I have to make an appointment far in advance. As for the brakes, I have had a repair by the dealer (didn't work), and when I returned, the repair writer told me that there is nothing that can be done as no parts are available. I have called Lexus twice (latest time 1/14/08), and was told "the engineers in Japan are working on a solution" When I asked gor a time fram (eg a week?, month?, year?) I was told that they couldn't say. This is pure bull____ because they are still selling $50M cars with both of these defects, and when they do ever get a fix on the brake problem, there will be a serious time backlog.

I finally took the dealer to task, and told them I deserved a complete brake job right now under warranty, and if the problem arises again before a permanent fix, I should continue to get brake jobs under warranty. Who knows if they will ever fix this problem. By the way, the dealer agreed.

I think if all GS owners took this position, I would prove so costly to Lexus they might get off thier duff and solve the problem
  • jon75jon75 Member Posts: 7
    I have had the brake pads replaced(I believe they are ceramic, but not sure), and it did fix the "screech" problem. An added advantage is that the dust issue is now almost non-existent. This was done two months ago, so it appears that the fix is lasting.
    I had the dealer fix the ticking(or creaking) noise on the windshield, and it worked for a while. However, I noticed a little bit of ticking recently when it got really cold. Could you clarify where you placed the foam? Is it between the defroster vents and the windshield? Or is it on both sides in front of the speakers(there is no vent in that area). Or, are you saying the insertion point is midway between the defroster vents and the speakers(I think that is what you mean, but wanted to make sure)? Is it visible either from inside or outside the vehicle? Thanks.
    Your thought is correct.
    The insertion point is midway between the defroster vent &
    the speaker on each side.
    I used 6" (wide) x 1 1/4 (deep) x 1/4 (thickness) vibration
    damper pads, one on each side.
    With a little force, push the pad down the
    gap between the windshield & dashboard until it's not visible
    from the inside. No, it's not visible from the outside (that was the
    first thing I checked after I pushed it in).
    Foam may not work because it could still cause noise when the
    dashboard pushes against it when the car runs over bumps.
    The new pads & rotors don't come out until this month.
    Your squealing brake fix may fall into excessive dust fix.
    If the screeching noise comes back, tell dealer about new pads &
    rotors.
    I went back to my service records, they replaced the pads and calipers, machined the rotors. No brake dust, no squealing. Brake performance does not appear to be affected. Don't understand why they are telling you to wait, it appears they have the fix now. And this was done in November.
    They told me to wait more than a month ago. They said the new pads & rotors
    won't be available until late January 09.
    Already made an appointment for it in two weeks along with recent Lexus recalls/special service campaigns.
    Had the brake squealing fixed a week ago.
    Dealer thought Lexus came out with a new pad to fix the brake
    squealing noise, but new shims instead.
    So I requested alternative pads to fix the excessive brake dust.
    Dealer installed new shims & new pads. So far the squealing noise has gone away.

Dealer also serviced 2 recalls (fuel delivery pipe & rear booster
    pin). Lexus also paid for a full gas tank for fuel delivery pipe
    repair.
  • nisrkpnisrkp Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I am in market to buy a GS 350 with Navigation Package. Before I enter the dealership I really like to have my home work done.

The best price which was given to me was from Sterling Mc Call Lexus Dealership in Houston Tx

Luxury Performance Package w/Navigation: (includes)...
    6-Speed AT with Sequential Multi-Mode and Electronic Throttle Control with Intelligence (ETCS-I)
    (RS) Rain Sensing Wipers w/Mist Control, Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) and Headlamp Cleaners
    (SS) Power Rear Window Sunshde
    (VS) Ventilated Front Seats
    (LS) Wood and Leather Steering Wheel
    (FW) 18" Summer Tires with Spare
    (Z1) Preferred Accessory Package (Wheel Locks, Trunk Mat, & Cargo Net)
    (NV) Navigation System w/compass, EMV, and Rear Camera
    (RF) Rear Spoiler
    (BA) Rear Bumper Applique
    (IK) iPod Interface Kit

MSRP = $50,445 ... Internet Special = $47,531

Can someone provide me with some feedback. Thanks
  • shenghshengh Member Posts: 29
    drop me a note and I can forward you a name of a guy at Westside who can beat that deal and offer better after the sales service for you. I bought both of mine from there.
  • jngo1jngo1 Member Posts: 21
    Dear Shengh/board members:
    Hope you are doing great. What are some of reasonable offerings for NEW left over 08 gs350 [~100s mile] RWD, no nagivations. Does 42.5K Out the door sound reasonable in Dallas/Forthworth areas?
    thanks very much for your kind replays
    please email me if you have further questions/reasonable offerings
    [email protected]
  • h344077h344077 Member Posts: 1
    Just took delivery on '09 gs 350. Already noticed the windshield noise on both sides when hitting any bumps. Also, some unexpected dust residue on rear panel behind tire. Could this be from the infamous brake issue?

Biggest question is how and to whom to seek resolution. Obviously the dealer. But, what advice is out there on how to avoid the potholes in this discussion.

Thanks

hp 4077
  • bobbi5bobbi5 Member Posts: 2
    42.5K sound high for an 08 GS350, even though it's new. I bought an 09 about 6 weeks ago in So. Florida - RWD - no navigation - but with all the other "options" that come in on the cars for 44.6K (which included dealer fees). Good luck.
  • woodykwoodyk Member Posts: 1
    Did the dealer fix it under warranty or did they make you pay? Mine has the same issue and it looks like the front pades have worn down much more than the rear pads and the fronts had a lot of excessive dust.
  • mandfmandf Member Posts: 3
    I was thinking of buying a GS300, but when I went to the dealer to test drive one, I found that it wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be. Is this a case where I was expecting too much because I've read so many good reviews about the vehicle, is it my imagination or are the 300 series just bumpy rides. I felt almost every bump on the road. Does this have something to do with the run flat tires, are they making the vehicle more bumpy. The car was quiet, but bumpy.

Have other folks had the same experience, or did I simply get a bad vehicle. I read so may great things about comfort and smoothness that I thought the vehicle would glide, but I felt a very shaky bumpy ride. Do I need to go test drive a couple others or is this the way it is?
  • jaymkjaymk Member Posts: 86
    Hi Mandf,
    The GS is more on the sporty side so You will feel the bumps. If you really want a smooth ride I would recommend checking out the ES. Next time when you are at the dealership try out both cars back to back so you can feel the difference.
    Thankyou
    I got about the same deal in Atlanta. They only had one 2009 on the lot and were in no mood to haggle. I got $7,300 off the list. Tax, title, license, off the lot for $42,500. Navi, bluetooth, etc, but no Mark L. or Park Assist.
  • bobbi5bobbi5 Member Posts: 2
    Was the $42,500 for an '08 or an '09? If 2009, you did incredibly well.
    Regarding the windshield noise, my 07 was covered under a TSB, which may still be in effect for the 09, although it seems that they should have fixed the issue by now. I am not familiar with brake dust issues on the rear, it has always been on the front. Good luck.
    Fixed under warranty.
    It is an '08. The salesman (who also sold an RX350 to me for my wife) said nothing off their only 2009 GS.
  • ben721364ben721364 Member Posts: 22
    Find another salesperson or another dealer. Lexi are being bought every day for less than MSRP!
  • sjf74sjf74 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2008 GS 350. Since XM and Sirius began the merger in November, I have had problems with my XM service. The problem is, the sound will go to static and then no sound at all. The problem is not a loss of signal as the current song title will be displayed even as I change the stations, there is just no sound. The only way to get the sound back is to shut the car completely off and then restart. Powering off the radio will not fix the problem. This is dangerous to pull over onto the side of the road to turn your car off to listen to the radio that you pay for every month!! This is also not what you would expect to do when you pay $50,000 for a car. I have had the car in the dealer service dept at least 6 times since November. I have kept a log of when it occurs. I have sent a letter directly to Lexus Corp. I have verbally expressed my frustration to XM as well. Still no fix and still the problem persists. Up until yesterday, I was told I was the only person in the country this problem was happening to, but when I insisted for the 30th time that they replace the radio, I was finally told, "well maybe there are others with this issue" Any advice??
  • rgalluccirgallucci Member Posts: 16
    I purchased my 07 GS350 with chrome wheels from the dealer. About three months after delivery the service tech noticed the wheels were pitted. Lexus replaced them. It is now 2 1/2 years later and the wheels are pitted again. Even though the car is still under warranty the dealer said there is nothing they can do. they said it is caused by brake dust. The car gets regular washing. The rear wheels are also pitted and there isn't any brake dust on the rear wheels, so this is just a dealer story. I have escalated it to the Lexus zone representative and she also said they couldn't do anything. The dealer said this is the first time this problem was brough to their attention so I said then they must be defective. The zone rep said they would continue to address the issue.
    I have a 07 GS350 with alloy wheels. At 35,000 miles maintainence (May 20, 2009) I complainted to dealer about excessive brake debris on front wheels, which became difficult (for me) to remove. Dealer "updated" front pads and discs. Brake dust has been greatly reduced, a marked improvement. I was not charged.
    I have a 07 GS350 with alloy wheels. At 35,000 miles maintainence (May 20, 2009) I complainted to dealer about excessive brake debris on front wheels, which became difficult (for me) to remove. Dealer "updated" front pads and discs. Brake dust has been greatly reduced, a marked improvement. I was not charged.
  • indycuindycu Member Posts: 5
    I have an 08 GS350 which I got 2 months ago and this XM problem has ocurred 3 times on mine, exactly the way you describe. I have not had a chance to discuss it with the dealer yet but intend to do that soon. My car originally had a Sirius radio and the prior owner replaced it with an XM in January of this year. My plan is to drive it to the dealer the next time it occurs, leave the engine running and have them witness the problem.
  • sjf74sjf74 Member Posts: 7
    I think that would be a good idea for you to drive your car to the dealer when the problem occurs. I had my car again at the dealer last week so the regional rep could come look at it and of course, they could not induce the problem. I am still told I am the only one in Central Florida that is having this problem, but there are some other cases across the nation. Still no solution, just another stall that Lexus will get back to me. They did tell me though that this problem is occuring with most GM cars with XM installed. This statement does little to relieve my aggravation since I did not pay for a GM car. I will post the next response from Lexus when they get back to me. I hope you could reply if you learn anything about it from your dealer. Thank you very much for your reply.