Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 350

Comments

• maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    I have a 08 Acura TL with XM. And I have had similar issues with the XM stereo. Sometimes the titles stay on the screen but no sound comes for any station. I bought my car last July, it started happening about 3 months later in October 2008, and it's happened about 3-4 times since then. Hasn't happened to me in approx. the last 2 months though. Must be a problem with XM, not the car.
  • sjf74sjf74 Member Posts: 7
    Lexus Corp called last week to say that they were not going to do anything because they could not induce the problem when my car was being looked at by the regional rep. I am still frustrated. I am reassured that it is happening to other people and I know I am not imagining it, but it is frustrating to me that it is happening more frequently than others with this probem.
  • indycuindycu Member Posts: 5
    The XM problem happened again yesterday. Was close to the Lexus dealer so I stopped by with the engine running so they could witness it. The service tech that installs the XM radios thought that possibly a refresh was needed. She called XM and they told her that was not the case if the data was being received. XM asked her for me to call them which I did. They went through the usual checklist of signals are affected by tall buildings, clouds, etc., none of which were factors when the sound quit. They instructed me to try to do a factory default reset on the radio when the problem occurs. I am not sure how to do that or if I even have that capability. Will check with the dealer. The service tech did say that if it was not resolved with XM that they would replace the radio.
    Thank you very much for your reply. I am surprised that the Lexus tech stated they will replace the radio. After 8 months of my aggravation, Lexus decided that rather than appease me by replacing my radio, it was best for them to just buy back my entire car. Go figure!!! I am just waiting now for them to let me know when they will be picking it up. I really liked my car and am kind of sad about the whole situation, but good thing there are other cars just like mine for sale.
  • traderbgttraderbgt Member Posts: 2
    Is anybody able to pair an iphone with GS 350, even though it is not in the approved list of Lexus phones???
    They are buying your car back for an XM problem? That seems like a radical approach. Were there any other unresolved problems? I will approach the dealer this week about getting the radio replaced. When I changed channels yesterday the sound went static and then the same result.
    I have an iphone and it pairs fine with the GS.
    It is ridiculous indeed. The XM problem is the only problem I ever had with the car and all I wanted was a new radio, but they said a new radio would not fix the problem so as a courtesy to me they are buying back my car. I will be turning it in tomorrow. I am sad about it and hope that I will be able to find a used one just like I had. Good luck with your radio:)
  • carjunkie4carjunkie4 Member Posts: 7
    I own a GS350 AWD vehicle in need of new tires. The cost of new tires (run flats) are almost $300 each - same replacement from factory. Has anyone any suggestions... Replacement tires names - anyone replace not using run flats - issues.
  • nycjocnycjoc Member Posts: 1
    i too had the same noise from day one. recently there was another noise that i heard once in a while and i took it in for serivce and it turns out the second noise was from the cam gears.. they replaced the cam gears and now both noises are gone.. they said the org cam gears had too much space between the teeth and they replaced it with one that the space is smaller. not only did it fix the noise but the car runs alot better, performance wise.. there is a tsb for the cam gears..
  • ara3ara3 Member Posts: 10
    2008 GS 350 awd with factory installed Sirius satellite radio. It, too, would drop out, sometimes just sitting at a traffic light. Satellite service was so horrible (disappointing) that the dealer eventually removed the entire system and refunded my money. Nice of them, but I really wanted the system. I was told that the XM system was much better. Guess not. Meanwhile, I now have an HID headlight that goes off at will and with no warning light. The "fix" is to turn off the lights and turn back on. Meanwhile, the auto switch on start-up sometimes defers to manual and turns off the air conditioner compressor. So, no AC until you push the auto switch twice. Lexus response: normal. Absolutely insulting and insane. Shame because it's such a nice car. They don't want to admit fault. I just ask them to "fix it", but they don't know what to do!
    Got a 2008 GS 350 awd that on start-up, sometimes the auto light on the fresh air/recirculate switch goes off so that it's in manual mode. It also turns off the air conditioner compressor. So on a hot day, if this happens, you need to push the auto switch twice to get it back in the auto mode and turn the compressor back on. Without doing this, the car stays hot. Dealer has seen this happen, it's been video taped by me, but the famous Lexus customer service folks in California and their cracker jack technicians have no idea of how to fix it. The latest from Lexus now is that it's a "normal function". So, with it being "normal" there is nothing left to do. They have suggested I go to arbitration. I suggested changing things to see if any change/replacement would resolve this. Not happening. Customer service in Calif. apologizes in an endless loop. Sad. Dealer is awesome and their hands now are tied. It's some sense of false pride that keeps them from being better. Anyone else have this non-problem?
  • prema1prema1 Member Posts: 21
    I bought my GS460 in March as well. I managed to get a brand new 2008 GS460 with Mark Levinson (sticker just under 60k) for $43500.
  • jaymkjaymk Member Posts: 86
    Wow what an awsome deal. Congrats on your new ride. Any details of your buying experience and where did you buy it from?
    Thanks
  • mycaronlinemycaronline Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2007 GS 350 AWD with about 25k miles. I love the car so far. have noticed a steady tap or click at idle, listening in on the engine, it seems to be coming from the upper part of the passengers side towards the firewall. I'm going in for a few factor-recalls (brake caliper and fuel line) soon, not sure if I should be concerned about this tap noise though? Any help is appreciated.

When driving over bumps, I noticed a noise from the dashboard, almost sounds like something needs to be secured/scewed in better, not sure any one else has this too and if there is some thing that is recommened.

Also, not sure if anyone knows if an AUX port is easy installed for IPOD hook-up rather than the FM receiver/tape deck IPOD usage too. thank you.
  • vchustzvchustz Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the Dunlop run flats on my 2007 GS 350, after 44,800 miles. The ride was okay up until about 15K, when the road noise became a bother. I decided to replace them with Michelin Pilots, and the ride is now softer and quieter. The wear pattern on the run flats was strange. The tread was still good, however the steel belts started to poke through on the inside edge of each tire.I do not think I will buy them again.
  • ben721364ben721364 Member Posts: 22
    I have owned two cars with run flat tires. Both developed embarrassing noise at about 12k mi and in neither instance did the tires give me good feedback from the road surface. I will not buy another vehicle so equipped until I become convinced that a future generation of this 'technology' is far better than what is presently offered.
  • rgalluccirgallucci Member Posts: 16
    We dealer replaced the run flats on my 2007 GS350, 2 months after we purchased the car. We complained about the car pulling to either side of the road when we hit the crown or ruts in the road. Not enough tire to cushion the road The Michelins totally changed the ride for the better.
  • wets33wets33 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone else had problems with squealing brakes? My brakes on my GS350 squeal at low speed and usually after the car has been sitting for awhile. The service tech says they can't find anything wrong. It'a a bit nerve wreaking to hear the squeal. It goes away but comes back after car sits.
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    Tell your service tech perform TSB L-SB-0040-09
    It applies to 07/08GS350.
    They give you two front rotors & new pads.
    That would fix squealing noise in cold weather & excessive brake dust.

Mine was fixed 6 months ago. No more squealing noise & dust. One trade off though.
    The brakes do not feel strong as before. Or it's just me, a little soft on the brake
    pedal.
  • wets33wets33 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks chucko3. I'm scheduling an appointment now and hope this fix the problem becuase it's embarrassing pulling up to a stop and everyones looks because they can hear you coming before they see you.
  • kvaillancourtkvaillancourt Member Posts: 16
    I have read every post on Edmunds and all TSB's...But my big question??? I am looking at buying a NEW 09/10 have the brake issue and windshield issue been solved at the point of manufacturing, or can I expect to deal with this just like the 07, and 08 owners. Thanks for your help
    I have an 08 and I don't know if the brake issue has been solved or not. It is a very aggressive designed brake pad that really grabs. The side effect is heavy brake dust and eventually the squeal. I was told by one of the more technically saavy people at the dealer that I need to be more aggressive in braking to keep them from glazing over which leads to the squeal. I eventually opted to have them replaced via the technical service bulletin mentioned above. The brakes now are not as responsive but the dust is less and after a few weeks of driving I adapted to them. The braking is still excellent.

So if the design has not changed on the 09's or 10's it is simply a matter of having the pads replaced, nothing that drags out once you make the decision.

I have never experienced the windshield noise problem. Otherwise, it is a great car that I enjoy driving every day. The AWD is great in the snow.
    Do you still have the run flat tires on your GS AWD?
    My 07GS AWD still has the original RFT with over 38K miles on them. Tread depth is about
    5/32 left.
    The car had trouble stopping on wet snow (4 inch or more) a couple times.
  • rgalluccirgallucci Member Posts: 16
    I had trouble with the run flat tires from the day I drove the car off the lot. The car would pull to one side or the other with any inperfection in the road. The dealer replaced them with Michelin tires and the car handles beautifully in any weather condition or road surface.
    My 07GS350AWD does not pull on one side.
    The RFT tires are not that noisy as people said. I like them.
  • ben721364ben721364 Member Posts: 22
    I suppose that whether or not run flat tires are noisy depends upon one's perspective. I have had two cars with them and by the time the cars had 10000 miles on the clock, they were embarrassingly noisy to me. The first time I thought it was a fluke but two out of two convinced me that the noise is reason enough for me to not buy cars so equipped. They also do not provide acceptable (to me) communication from road surfaces.
  • gs350cogs350co Member Posts: 1
    I have had to take my 2008 gs 350AWD to the dealer twice for the same problem. In addition to the brakes, when the car was cold, it felt like there was a release lag in the brakes. Similar to the transmission slipping when you let off the brakes and then feeling the tranny kick in. When I took my car to the dealer they did a complete replacement of my brakes including the calipers. This fixed the squeak, however no the lag issue. Now my tranny seems to downshift harder and I still have the lag issue. Does anyone else have this issue? I had a 2006 GS 300 and never had any problems, but I am a little frustrated now that I think the brake issue on the 08 GS 350 might have caused other problems. The car is great, but I do not think all issues are taken care of at this point. Any response is appreciated.
  • lz4004lz4004 Member Posts: 37
    hi; are these replacements covered by warranty or recall? or do dealers have a special?

thanks,wk
    Warranty.
    You can ask for a good will.
    I bought my first lexus ls 400 new in 1990. I shopped 3 lexus dealers and was told no discounts. I bought another new lexus 2008 gs350 from the same dealer thinking they would deal because my second. Same thing 18 years later. NO DISCOUNTS! This is ct. I`m not going to las vegas because they discount!
  • hfry131hfry131 Member Posts: 1
    From the moment we drove the car off the dealers lot we had problems. The sound system was terrible, the Satellite radio would drop and then we went on to the screeching brakes and the rattle in the dashboard. The icing on the cake was the 3 ignition starters! We went to arbitration to get the brakes fixed; Lexus was dragging their feet until the 12000 mile warranty was up. They also tried to fix the rattle in the dash. One year later same problem,filed for arbitration again. Arbitration accepted our case and Lexus bought us out of the car!
    I did bring it to the dealer. They honored the warranty sb 0040, new pads, rotors and anti squeal shims. Problem fixed as well as brakedust too!
    Don`t bother finding another dealership for less than MSRP, unless it`s a previous year model or demo or late in current model year.
    Lexus (Toyota) is lacking in real pride of workmanship and character. I can relate to the story of the satellite radio not working, screeching brakes, and rattles. This is my second GS. First one bought back and they did it prior to arbitration to avoid that embarrassment. Second car went to arbitration because of electronic issues that they could not fix. Once they realized they could not fix, they stated that it was "normal" and that took care of that. Arbitration was denied, but arbitrators did put in writing that there is a defect (but does not affect safety, etc.). They lied during the arbitration (and quite professionally I might add). Someone needs for the powers to be to understand that they should truly be ashamed of themselves. They've been on top of the mountain too long and there's only one direction now for them to go: down. False pride and no shame. BTW, my car still has an electronic malfunction but no one dares to attempt any fix because it would go against management's ruling. Next car? Right...
    Can you tell us what kind of electronic malfunction your GS experiences.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    As the lease on my '07 GS350 expires soon, I'm leaning towards purchasing a 2010 GS350 (I'm aware new GS sheet metal is around the corner). I'll be turning my '07 in with 21,000 miles (ending a 3 year lease). With so few miles, do I have any additional wiggle room when negotiating a new car purchase? Thx.
    The climate control "auto" switch that when set to auto switches automatically (imagine that) between fresh air and recirculate, depending on demand, ambient conditions, etc. Once set to "auto", it should stay there and do its thing. With my car, on start-up, it comes on for a split second and then goes off, so that it then is in the "manual" position. No more "auto". So, it's then either recirculate or fresh air and stays there. As the outdoor temperature increases, this occurs more frequently. Winter = once or twice a week. Summer = once or twice a day, again, or start-up. All documented, and the dealer tried sincerely to correct the malfunction, but when Lexus realized that they could not/would not fix it, they decided it was "normal" and that was the end of that. The arbitrators did indicate in writing that there is a defect (that was the word they used), but during the arbitration, Lexus stated that this would happen in all GS cars. Believe me, that is just not true. So, when the "auto" light goes off, I push the switch two times and it's back to "normal" until the next time. Hope this helps. Shame they can't be honest and trustworthy, but then, who is these days?
  • nareshsnareshs Member Posts: 5
    Hi Guys ... new to the forum looking for advice. Looking to buy a 2009 GS350, the vehicle I am looking at has NAV, ML, Adaptive Variable Suspension and Pre-Collision. However, it is missing some of the more basic options such as park assist, adaptive head lamps with washers and rain sensing wipers ... how essential would you rate these features?
    If you are not used to having these features, then you will not miss them. Even having these features, I would not miss the adaptive head lamps or the rain sensing wipers, but I could not buy another car in the future without the parking assist. I use this feature daily from actually parking to just backing out of my garage to avoid other cars parked in my drive. Yes, I have backed around cars before, but I am able to do it quicker and with peace of mind that I am not too close or on the grass. I also have the back up camera and will not go without that feature either.
    Adaptive headlamps, cool, but not really dramatically important or noticeable. I really like the automatic wipers; they go one automatically, speed changes when it rains hard, and the intermittent "sensing" mode is very cool and works well...But.... If you don't have it you won't miss it. Park assist is great. Does the car have the rear (back-up) camera? Very, very cool and a great safety addition. That I love. Hope this helps.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    IMO, adaptive headlights only help if you drive canyon roads. But even so, the HID are so bright and wide, you won't miss not having the adaptives.

Park assist..once you have it, its tough to give up. The back up camera helps but the park assist is a nice compliment.

Rain sensing wipers...IMO just a gimmick. I wouldn't miss it.
    Thanks for your advice guys, my 2002 ES has rain sensing wipers and I think that is what I am going to miss the most.

The vehicle has 11K miles and equipment includes MV, CS, LR, LS, PS, VS. Price is 40K, is that a good price?
    I have the parking assist, rain sensing wipers, back up cameras and the adaptive headlights with headlamp washers. I can do without the headlight package. 40k sounds like a great price since i paid 54k new for my 2008.
    They are also offering a 4 year scratch/scuff warranty on the body and wheels for $650/4 Years ... worth it?

Warranty is through CertifiedPlus.
    That warranty is worthless and should be thrown in as part of your deal. It`s almost 100% profit for the dealer. The warranty requires you to apply a coating every 6 months. In the advent of a scratch claim, good luck even if they resond. Remember,this warranty is not backed by the car dealer. You deal direct through CertifiedPlus. They will probably give you a color wax stick like the stainmaster warranty on my couch, a bottle of stain remover, which was no help.
  • calcougcalcoug Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy a 2007 GS350, any chance you would want to sell me yours? I would like to buy one coming off a lease and make you a profit over your buy out price.
    Finally pulled the trigger on the '09 GS and I love the car with one exception. The ride is very harsh, feels like a 10 yr old car with no shocks on the smallest of bumps. It has the stock Dunlop runflats, the smallest speedbump on the road transfers a lot of force feedback into the cabin making for an extremely harsh ride. Is this normal, anyone have the same issue?
    Just purchased a '09 GS and have the same issue, have to hit Auto twice each time I start the car. Found any solution yet? Planning to take the car in to the dealer this week.
  • craig777craig777 Member Posts: 4
    this is Craig in Los Angeles ...pothole capital
    I own 2008 gs350

yes run flat tires are notorious for I Stiff ride.. especially if you running 245/40 x 18" wheels.

the only ride quality improvement would be to go to the other Lexus factory tire size of
    Non run flat tire .. 225 / 50 / 17"