Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer AWD 4WD Questions

Comments

• jtruckergirljtruckergirl Member Posts: 13
    Ok, if thats the case, it very well could be your shift motor on your transfer case....if you dont hear it, then its most likely bad...we unplugged ours to see if that was the problem and our shift motor happened to be fine...You can try to unplug it and then take it for a drive and see what happens..Thats how I was told to check it.
  • fwoernerfwoerner Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2007 Explorer 4WD new and at about 30,000 miles if starting making a grinding/rubbing noise in the front end when I turned either right or left. At first I thought is was a tire rubbing but it's not. It doesn't do it all the time and it can go from quiet to very loud. Ford dealership told me it was the tire pressure and that I needed new tires because when I turn the wheels the pressure is off so the auto 4WD is trying to kick in. They told me to put 37 lbs of air in the tires and they tried to sell me 4 new tires @ $200 per tire. Goodyear told me I had 40% tread left on my tires and didn't need new ones. The vehicle only has 50,000 miles on it now.
    Any ideas??? I'm at a total loss. :(
    Well for #1, the ford dealer sucks....they tried to sell me tires for that much too. I went to a local tire place an got a set of 4 mounted and balanced for $360 out the door for nexin's which are a real good beefy tire. If the tread if off jsut by a 1/4 of an inch it will cause your 4x4 to mess up. Dont let ford tell you that you need $800 in tires. They are nuts. The wheel hubs do go out at around 100,000. so check those out first. The driver side usually goes first. You can get the whole wheel bearing hub assembly at a auto parts store for around $130 and its real easy to change. ;)
  • fillr68fillr68 Member Posts: 22
    wheel bearing hubs most likely ....are the tire tread flat across the tread pattern any heavy wear on the inside or outside my cause this sound..but the noise sounds like the bearing hubs are going bad...a fairly easy job...and this will engage the automatic 4 wheel drive...
  • cdavis881cdavis881 Member Posts: 1
    when i drive down the road the 4wd low kicks in and i cant get it out then i drive it sometimes it made a big bang and released then idrove four about 2 hrs then it did it again kicked in
  • matt1232872605matt1232872605 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 01 exp-sport and i tried to put my 4x4 high on but it doesnt wanna turn on...no click or light on the dash comes on...any ideas why????? thanks..
    If you arent hearing any clicks then its most likely your shift motor on your transfer case. It has a plug going to it. It is a very easy fix. Not sure how much they cost but it isnt much if you buy online or at a parts store. It would be a waste of money to have ford change it for you cause its such an easy job. I was told to check that shift motor...have someone lay under the truck be very careful tho an while you are in it start the truck with foot on the brake an put in neutral then push your buttons if the person under the truck dont here the click or it engaging it is that shift motor....hope this helps.
  • matt1232872605matt1232872605 Member Posts: 2
    i have an 01 ford expl-sport and i wanted to kno is where is the 4x4 shift motor???thanks..
    Crawl under the truck and look straight up in between the driver an pass doors (middle of truck) see where the transfer case ends...look for the shift motor which looks like a windhshield wiper motor...very simular...it has a plug going to it, there are 3 bolts holding it on and the one plug...Its on the end of the transfer case...hope this helps...
  • renrag0renrag0 Member Posts: 1
    Was having intermittent problems with the light for the 4x4 system. Had the blinking problem for awhile. Now the blinking is back and stuck in 4 wheel.
    There is some sort of control box in the Jack compartment on the driver side rear wall. What is this box? When the lights blink , this is where there is a clicking noise. I also found some sort of reset switch or something on this box, but when i press it ,the lights on the dash will do different things. At one point there was a red light on next to the button. No longer on, but not sure if was always on before. :mad:
  • 02explorerlady02explorerlady Member Posts: 2
    I had the same issue with my 02 Ford Explorer XLT. Overdrive Light & 4 Wheel High Light blinking like crazy, and my 4 wheel drive wouldn't engage. I heard a loud clunk! Well the clunk was my bands in my tranny were burned out and a part that held it in broke right off, also my planetariums were gone. Had my tranny rebuilt for $1,200.00's by a local mechanic. Runs mint.

Now the 4 wheel drive issue was something different. Mine stopped working all of a sudden. Low and behold when we pulled the tranny out we noticed that on the transfer case there is a wiring clip that is near the 4 wheel drive motor. In this group of wires there is a brown ground wire. We found that this wire came off its original grounding point on the under body of the truck. So we re-grounded the wire to the cross member, and my 4 wheel drive works great not one problem. So before you spend lotsa money on modules etc. Please check for this wire, it could save you a lot of head aches. If not, you can purchase this module for about $80.00’s remanufactured.

Hope this can help someone.
  • tahoecctahoecc Member Posts: 2
    As it turns out it does not even have one! It is built into PCM so you have to replace whole thing, my new question is wheres the PCM located? :confuse:
  • shaunaromeroshaunaromero Member Posts: 3
    Hello we bought an 03 XLT about one month ago in very good condition with 71,000 and although i have no need for Auto 4WD right now i would like to know how to use it. Is there a dash light indicator for Auto 4WD? I notice one for Low and High?

If you press auto 4wd what happens? I pressed it once and nothing lit up. I just want to make sure everything works properly.

Any insight would be appreciated.
  • 02explorerlady02explorerlady Member Posts: 2
    Auto 4WD is when your vehicle needs to use it-it goes in automatically.
    The 4W high button is for when your really stuck or need extra power or even towing heavy objects. You shift it into Nuetral then press the 4W High button it should blink then it will go into 4W High, same goes for 4W Low. (Light should blink as well) if it's not lighting up you may need a new 4 Wheel Drive Control Module. On most explorers it's located in the Glove box. You can buy these aftermarket for about $80.00's. New, they are expensive.

Also if it's not going into 4 Wheel at all there is a wiring harness on the bell housing area of your transmission. If there is a ground wire that isn't connected that will cause your 4 wheel drive to not work at all. You can ground this wire to the cross member frame if needed.

Hope this helps.
    thanks for replying so do i have to press 4 auto for it to work or will it do it automaticallY>?
  • baragonabaragona Member Posts: 2
    The 4WD Explorer is built to run in Automatic 4WD on a 24/7 basis. You need do nothing unless you want to lock it in to 4 wheel high or low. Four wheel high simply requires that you go real slow on a slippery surface and press the button. Four wheel low is a totally different story - stop, put the tranny in neutral, depress the brake and push the 4WD Low button. Keep you foot on the brake as you put the tranny back into "drive" because the vehicle will lunge forward if you don't. Reverse the procedure to disengage - brake, tranny in neutral, press Automatic 4WD or 4 Wheel High, whichever the situation calls for.

Paul Baragona Raleigh
    Thanks for the info Paul you were very helpful :)
  • fishnjoerfishnjoer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 ford explorer and when i make a Sharp right or left it make a binding noise,when i took off the front drive shift it stop.I have 14 wires and pins on my shift motor and all i can find so far is a 7 wire shift motor thats what the auto store said the book call for,i'm not 100% sure it;s the shift motor yet i do have a back tire that looks copped on the inside.could a back tire cause this binding in the front?And when i have it in neutral i can hear it shift from 4 wheel high to low and back but i can't hear anything when i go back into auto. Please help Thank you
  • credlicredli Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with mine. I have change the four wheel drive motor and the switch. I have been told their are two wires that go into the front axle on the top left hand side. I haven't been able to get far enough under there to be able to see it. There might be a brown wire that comes off the transfer case motor that grounds its self to the transfer case cross member. I will relay messages to you on my progress so it can help you with yours. The chopped look on the tire is from a lack of rotation and or you are needing new rear shocks.
  • explorethebsexplorethebs Member Posts: 4
    Heres my situation.....I bought a used ford explorer with barely 60,000 miles on it...I have a 2,000 mile dealer warranty and I also purchased a 2yr 22,000 mile warranty.....I am still within that 2,000 mile 30 day warranty.......now heres my problem, when the transmission downshifts at 20 miles an hour it clunks.....I have brought this to the dealers attention and they are trying to say its normal....i personally think they want to pass the buck on the warranty company afterall its their time and money......how can a clunk on a twent mile an hour downshift be normal.....has anyone ever heard of this?...anyone have any viable ways to handle this.....im thinkin bout tellin the dealer im callin corporate and warning the warranty company of the obvious problem that the dealer hopes i make it past 2000 miles with......please i need ideas and advice quik
    I do not believe that clunk is normal..possible a adjustment ...if you have a code reader this may show up .Something like this maybe more power for you to prove to the dealer there is a problem........I have 210.000 on my 99 Explorer with no rebuild mine does not do this...hope this helps
    definitely helpfull to know im not crazy......i decided that if the trans was doing that on a twenty mile an hour downshift.......what would it do in 4x4 low.....heres a hint.........bang bang bang.....took it back to the dealer today and finally they are willing to recognize the problem......they are going to have a meeting as to either rebuild my trans for 3000.00 or find me a replacement vehichle
    oh......forgot to mention at no cost to me......theyll cover everything
    thanks again
  • barnos01barnos01 Member Posts: 3
    I have an '03 XLT that I have been hearing/feeling a thumping noise. It only appears to be happening while coasting. The noise stops when I apply the accelorator. It really seems to be worse at slower speeds and when going around turns. I have also noticed, sometimes, that there is a metalic grinding noise coming from the front (i think). I have had the brakes and wheel bearings checked out and they don't appear to be the problem.
    ok....heres the update...my explorer went in the shop....after doing a diagnostic on the trans it was found that there was a spike in the downshift at 20 mph......no kiddin, thats what ive been tellin them all along.....they removed and overhauled the valve body because the valves were gunked and sticking, they also said there was a peice of metal in one of the valves that was hangin up.......im happy to say the problem has been fixed and im rollin with pride....I hope this helps someone else because i hear its a very common problem on the explorers
  • explorer_watchexplorer_watch Member Posts: 1
    I've owned copious amounts of Ford Explorers from 1997-2006 and the same thing happens to me everytime. Depending on the dealership (most say the same that oh, it makes that sound, and so forth). thats full of [non-permissible content removed] and by law you have the right to make them switch it out. With the purchase of a warrenty you are entitled to have it switched out as many times as you would like while under contract. when i bought my first explorer in 97 in the first week it had that problem and i returned it and saying the tranny had a problem and i was younger at the time and they didnt take me serious, and i raised hell in there till they finally changed it (I even took the bosses and mechnics on tesst drives to hear the problem). but being the cheap and stingy [non-permissible content removed] they are at dealerships they replaced parts with old parts taken off a used tranny. in 7 years i had the tranny replaced 4 times on warrenty till i finally decided to have it done at Wally Transmissions. after that (my explorer was still on warrenty) i brought the bill back to ford and demanded reinversment, and after days of bsing with them i contacted a place in Sacramento and explained my scenero and not only did they extend my warrenty for another 7 years on the house they also reinversed me for the tranny, and that Ford dealership had an investigation opened into it and they had to pay several fines...

The point im trying to make is every state has a certain area that controls all the dealership lots and if you explain in great detail the problems with ur car, and the conversations being said they will open an investigation and if they see fraudlant things are going down, they will have that dealership pay for your car to be fixed properly, and if more clames come in like yours that lot will be shut down.
  • donnie70donnie70 Member Posts: 1
    My explorer both the 4 wheel drive lights come on at the same time and flash 5 times and then go off for a little while then come on and do the samething.When you try to engage the 4wheel with the switch it does not go in.
    most likely it is your shift motor located on the drivers side of the transmission right on the transfer case..try to unplug the motor first to make sure there is not bad contection .it is a little difficult to disconnect the plug my need a second pair of hands
  • gouldysongouldyson Member Posts: 1
    i think my 2003 explorer with 107,000 miles is stuck in 4 wheel drive but my 4 wheel drive light is not on. i went from getting 16-20 miles per gallon to 11.5 miles per gallon. i did a full tune up and put some fuel cleaner in it. any suggestions???
    you can disconnect the shift motor...this maybe the problem...mean while you will wear out your front tires really quick ..or cause some damage to the front differential
  • kaknobkaknob Member Posts: 1
    did you ever get your 4wd fixed and if so what was wrong. kaknob@hotmail.com
  • jkdotcomjkdotcom Member Posts: 1
    Exact smae problem here - any findings?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Why only the front tires....?

The ENTIRE driveline(***) will be under undue stress and overheating, inclusive of all four tires, with the center diff'l constantly locked.

*** Except the front diff'l.

I'm surprised he doesn't already have broken thumbs or fingers.
  • pahuntr76pahuntr76 Member Posts: 2
    Did this turn out to be a problem with the motor or the shift control module? I'm trying to use a volt meter and/or a test light to see if I am getting power to the motor. NOTHING. I even attempted to test the yellow wire going into or out of the SCM. NOTHING. Question: does the brake have to be depressed when testing. I am getting dash display when hit the buttons 4X4 Hi and 4X4 lo but I don't here the motor clicking or even the SCM clicking.
  • pahuntr76pahuntr76 Member Posts: 2
    Did this turn out to be a problem with the TC motor or the SCM?
  • fordpissedfordpissed Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I hope someone can help before I have to go back to the dealer again for this truck. I have an 05 Expedition and it was in 4WD it was slipping on the ice and was returned back to 2WD, but now the only way to get the truck to drive normal is with the overdrive light on,if the overdrive light is off the truck won't excel past 20 mph and just revs. Can anyone help. It was running just fine. Is there a safety that locks up??
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    How many miles are on the old girl? Is the OD light on steady, or flashing? The OD light flashing means your transmission is failing and will need serious service to recover. Even if it's not, sounds like your transmission is done for to me.
  • robb0929robb0929 Member Posts: 1
    Ok I have a 97 Explorer Sport 4WD, and the other day it started to make a dry/ grinding sound when I switched it into 4HI or 4Lo. So I put fluid in to Transfercase thinking it was just low. Now it (at 30mph) jerks / shimmys / and lurches. It got stuck in 4Lo and wouldnt switch back, untill I let it set for about 1/2 hour. I was told that the transfer case was out or going out. Is this correct? If not what else could it be?
    Could be your shift motor, they do go out about that time. IT's about a $400 repair unless you do it yourself.
  • twa1950twa1950 Member Posts: 1
    I didn't noticed this was a year old but what I read this is what it is suppose to do. You wrote that your wheels felt like they were binding when you made a sharp right or sharp left with your four wheel drive on but it does not do it when it is in auto. It is to do the fact that you are locking the wheels up when you have the 4 wheel drive on. If you put it in 4 wheel drive low it will be twice as bad. As for as the guys that has ones that won't go into 4 wheel drive low. You do have stoped and in nutural. That is the only way they will go into 4 wheel low. Unless your stuck or doing some serious off road 4 wheeling you will never use 4 wheel low. Last answer to the ones that are exciting about hearing it go into 4 wheel low and nothing in 4 wheel high. That is normal too.
  • rosa10rosa10 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1999 ford explore and every time i make a sharp turn it like bounces i was told it mike be running on the 4x4 its on auto i dont understand why its running on the 4x4 can some body tell me how to stop it how i can i run it normal
    Or you might have failing, failed, CV joint.
  • hidjohidjo Member Posts: 1
    This is my 1st time driving my 2004 Ford Explorer in the snow. I went to put in into 4 wheel drive this morning and there are no lights or anything that goes on my dash to let me know that i am in 4 wheel drive?? IS this normal?
    NO, it's not normal. Your 4WD isn't engaging, most likely the shift motor on the transfer case is stuck or no longer working. It's about a $400 repair, but fairly simple to do. Very common failure on aging Explorers.
  • milkman13milkman13 Member Posts: 2
    this may a little too late but your brobleem is a sensor on the back of the transfer case. you have to remove the 4wheel drive motor and then the 2 sensors I got mine from a junkyard for less than $10. it is an easy fix. good luck.
  • milkman13milkman13 Member Posts: 2
    On below freezing mornings I will try to start my ford explorer and when I turn the key it barely wants to crank. a couple of trys later and all it dose is crank until the battery dosent let it anymore. so I put cables to it from my wifes car and keep trying. In order for it to start I have to pump the gas peddal until it starts. After this ordeal which has taken almost an hour it will start the rest of the day with no problem. Just wanted to know if it could be the starter or the fuel supply? Can someone help? Thanks.
    It sounds more like the battery than the starter. It's possible that the starter is worn out and is pulling too much current from the battery, yet not spinning fast enough to start the engine, but cold temperature in the morning decreases the cold-cranking amps a battery has to begin with. If it's weak, it'll do what you're describing every time. As it warms up during the day, it would naturally do better. I would replace the battery first.
  • rwcrazyrwcrazy Member Posts: 2
    I have replaced the 4wd computer, the motor for the 4wd, but the lights still dont even tell me if its on 2wd or 4wd and the 4wd dont work?
    Thanks
    help!!!
  • balt0042balt0042 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    I have a 2003 Ford Explorer that has trouble getting into 4 wheel drive in the snow/rain. It will slip when accelerating in snow. Most issues are accelerating from low speeds but it has slipped going as fast as 60 MPH on a rainy day. This may have led to transmission failure, just replaced my transmission so I want to get to the root of this before it snows again. Until reading posts on here I honestly didn't even know there was a 4x4 light so I guess that does not come on ever.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Starter commutator brushes are to worn, $4.00 DIY repair. Poor or low battery and the starter solenoid would be clicking in and out.