Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura RDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• funken_afunken_a Member Posts: 5
    Here's what they are throwing at me

All of the Lynnwood RDX's have a protection package installed. Wheel Locks, Door edge film...

I was only able to beat them back to $39,800

The salesman at Bellevue said his invoice price was $38,100.00, and he could not and would not be able to get me that price. I'm guessing I could of negotiated $ $38,800

Seattle was similar. Upper $38's low $39's

Sales tax + doc and fees runs 11% out here. Frustrating, I so dislike
    talking with car salesman
  • troymichaeltroymichael Member Posts: 18
    Maybe try the coscto auto program and see what price you get.
    I i woud think the arrival of the 2014 MDX would drop the price of the remaining 2013 MDX models. But I am thinking this has little effect on the RDX.

Anyone wanna guess when the 2014 RDX will be out? Also do you think this will help lower the price point of the the 2013 RDX?
    I can't even find a leak of info on the 2014 RDX, as I was hoping it would have even better MPG.

But the RDX is a HOT Seller and getting the deals is obviously getting harder.

SO in my opinion I don't see the announcement of the 2014 having any real effect until the 2014 is actually showing up in dealers lots
    edited March 2013
    I am finding the Costco program to be a joke. You have to travel to the dealer to see the price.

one dealer brought out a laminated spread sheet and pointed to his Costco price which was $39, 500. How do I know that really is the Costco price.... They are supposed to show an official Costco document, but if that document is in the hands of the dealers 1st then they have the upper hand, and manipulation is still a possibility.

I am pretty sure I can get the price lower then that, but not much lower. The biggest problem is the 10% on top to cover the taxes and the fees and documents. WA Sales tax is high 9.5% - 9,8%, but we have no state income tax so you can't complain
  • karndkarnd Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I think you are right, destination might have not been included in that price $32.7k

Bought RDX AWD Base last month in NJ for $33500 incl destination with wheel lock,spash guard + fogs ( $450) + $399 dealer/doc ( no trade in )
  • alvaresalvares Member Posts: 75
    Of course Karn remember one thing dealers make money mainly on Doc fees and destination fees and of course the car sale but not a whole lot in most cases..
    I have got costco pricing from other cars i am looking at via email but not the rdx. I found that it was pretty close to invoice or below and a pretty good pricing.

I can totally see dealer try to steer you away from the costco price if its really good and not wanting to give out the price.

I think if you go through the costco website costco does some follow up so if you wanted to you could go back to costco and give them what the dealer gave you and probably have them check to see the dealer is BS on the costco price.

I am still working on my costco pricing.
    Not sure if this is the real costco price but this is what they told and showed me $35140. I got better pricing without costco for 34600 with an OTD of $3700. (tax here is about 5%. plus this dealer has 250 doc fee. and some DMV fees)

I also got costco pricing on a fully loaded Mazda CX 9 which was really good actually below invoice. OTD would be $35,500.

Personally like the RDX but my wife likes the CX9 more than the rdx mainly because it has power liftgate and more space. the only reason we ended looking at the RDX was we intially went in to see the MDX but it was over our price point.

Its my wife choice so based on the above price she gonna pick the CX9 more care more features and less money.

Does not seem like the deal with Acura here will go much lower. I ask edfor a 36000 OTD and they said they could not do it.

I am not in a rush i was kinda hoping the price of the RDX would drop with a future release of the 2014 model or maybe if the 2014 non tech would add power lift i could get my wife to like the car more.

Any feed back welcome.
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    Dealers do not make money on the destination fee. That is part of the MSRP price and is charged by the manufacturer to cover the actual cost of shipping the vehicle to the dealer. Of course any dealer attempting to charge a secondary destination fee is one I would avoid as such a practice is likely indicative of a less than ethical sales philosophy. If a dealer is pulling such a stunt I would wonder what else they are up too.

Documentation fees are essentially part of the selling price which includes dealer profit. Such fees certainly do not cover any dealer cost nor are they mandatory in any way. Buyers should consider such fees a component of the selling price of the vehicle. That fee certainly increases a dealer's profit.

Dealers discovered the documentation fee gambit many years ago to deceive unsuspecting buyers into thinking they actually pay less for the vehicle. Just goes to show how dealers really view their customers.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    2014s will probably not come out until September timeframe. So any markdowns so to speak on the 2013 models won't happen until probably August. Then again, if the RDX stays hot and the 2014 doesn't have many improvements, the release of the 2014 won't affect pricing on the 2013 all that much. Usually not too much changes the second year of a model at Honda/Acura and the third year is when they do some upgrades and major changes. It basically depends a lot on how much inventory they have as to whether dealers "deal" or not.
  • crv_or_rdxcrv_or_rdx Member Posts: 15
    The price of 2013 RDX and a CPO 2011 MDX is pretty much same. What would make a better buying sense?
  • rdxer1rdxer1 Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,

I am still price comparing but looking to pull the trigger on a lease early next week. Wanted to see if these number sound decent based on the specs:

2013 rdx awd tech, roof rack w crossbars, runnng boards, body side molding, all weather and trunk mat, wheel locks. 36 month, 12k per year

2000 down, 584 a month otd..it is with a very reputable nj dealer . Thank you
    Too much money rdxer1 for a lease. You should lease that car for 349.00 a month.For 584.00 a month and 2k down might as well buy
    Tell me where i can get that deal...i was quoted 635 by one dealer and the best quote was another guy at 584...granted i dont car shop every day but how much lower will adealer go from here..most dealerships are quoting well north of 600
  • ksrd13ksrd13 Member Posts: 2
    I am in Maryland and just leased a non tech RDX For $508 - 15k mi per year.
    Negotiated the price to 33,200 and dealer made the first Monty's pmnt of $508. I did not pay out of pocket for anything, added to the negotiated price. Money factor is vey low so it made sense
    Ok but did you see all of add ons and including tech? If you added the 2k down it would be about 640 a month all in..but i think we are not comparing apples to apples...anyway..im strongly considering the nontech and just mounting an ipad mini for nav
  • 4mercoachrick4mercoachrick Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2013
    Three fifty for a $40K vehicle? Where do I sign? I'd love to pay 'only' 12-14 grand to drive a $40K vehicle for three years!

Acura's no/no deal on the FWD Tech is $500/mo for 36. Add 40/mo for AWD, figure accessories and extra mileage and his/her deal is only off by the down payment, IMO.(Also depends on how sales tax was figured in)

(S)he should offer the monthly pmt but with nothing down...they'll counter with $1000 down and (s)he'll have to decide.
    Yeah, on a lease in Illinois you pay sales tax on the total of the sales price of the vehicle(not total of lease payments) up front(or prorated into the monthly payment). That is a lot of money and why many don't lease here unless you can claim as a business expense.
  • ksrd13ksrd13 Member Posts: 2
    Residual value on a non tech was higher which us better for a lease, plus 3k is away too much to pay for nav! Otherwise except for the power tailgating is the only difference
    About a 1% diff in residual, yes? The nav is convenient for certain applications; but don't forget the ELS, backup camera, HID lights, fogs...it all adds up. Would I 'buy' all of them separately? No, but as a package, it's not too bad. Got a nice vehicle...might as well make it nicer. Funny what we get used to. Our '01 Tribute ES didn't have any of the gee-gaws; but we thought it was great. The '06 Lexus RX didn't have most of the 'tech' package and it was an excellent vehicle. After a loaded XC60, I think we would have been a bit disappointed without 'Tech' in the RDX. Different strokes...
    I agree that the nav is an awesome feature for anyone..but my iphone app through bluetooth is arguably easier to use and doesnt cost me extra to use. Also my understanding is that backup camera is standard in all of the rdx models. The only difference of meaning to me is the power liftgate...which i think my wife will have to live without. As a follow up i did call another dealership about the 584 per month with 2000 down. They immediately matched it down from 635. I called another place excluding the 2k down and they didnt even come back w a counter. That said, i think the best deal i can get for a loaded to the gills rdx with 12k miles/yr is 584 otd after 1k down. To me, not a great deal for a great but unsexy car. Time to start pricing out the nontech.i have a a couple of weeks to figure it out and the end of the month is approaching.
    edited March 2013
    You get an 8" screen instead of a 5" screen which makes a big difference in looking at the back-up camera. The ELS sound is one of the best on the market and sounds tons better than the the non-tech system. The fog lights are about $400 installed as an option on the base model. The power liftgate is very handy and handier than I personally thought it would be. The HIDs are definitely much stronger lighting than my two other halogen lighted vehicles. The NAV is nice and is great seeing on a big 8" screen versus a 4" cell phone screen.

The tech package costs about $3700. With a dealer discount would probably add about $3000. Added resale value in 4-5 years would probably be around $1200-$1500. So all in all it would cost less than $2000 over 5 years or about $30 a month or a dollar a day. Everybody has to make up their own minds if it is worth it or not.
    I can see your reasoning. Sometimes we get going on these vehicles and can't stop! Good on ya for not paying for items you don't need/want. I shudder to think how much money we've 'thrown away' on leather seating over the last 10 vehicles; but it's one feature My Darling insists on. ;)

It's a shame the navs in many nicer vehicles aren't up to snuff. It's not like it costs a lot more to have a user-friendly unit. I don't hate ours; but we do end up using the iphone in conjunction with the nav. The big screen is a plus for me; but I'm not sure it's worth it from a pure dollars standpoint. We're traveling in areas of central Texas where we've never been before...need all the help we can get!
    Finally went to the dealership today. I was expecting and it did happen, they said we forgot to add the Destination cost. So, finally after further negotiations, these are the numbers I have

Sale Price 31878
    Cleaning 95
    Destination 895
    Window Etch 199
    Taxes 2314.69
    Registration 396
    Other fees 23
    Documentation 399

Total - 36200 (OTD)

No accessories added. No splash guard, no floor mats...nothing.

Let me know your comments as soon as you can.
    While some of the add-on charges are BS and high, the intitial sales price is so low that you are in effect getting the vehicle at invoice. Invoice includes destination but not all the dealer add-ons. It's a great price.
    Does that say "Cleaning" ??? :confuse: Ninety five bucks?

Four hundred for 'registration'?

Nothing matters but the bottom line; but it looks like they have a creative method of reaching it.
    edited March 2013
    If you see it comes to 33466+tax+title. The invoice price is 33541 (Assuming invoice price includes destination). So its just $75 under invoice. Doesnt sound like a great price, does it?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440
    invoice on a base AWD is more than that.

with you are in the low 33s for an AWD (MSRP ~ 36,500) you got a strong deal.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

According to both Cars.com and Edmunds the base AWD invoice price is $33,541 plus $895 destination for a total of $34,436. If you add up what they want you to pay minus tax and registration the total comes to $33,489. This appears to be $947 under invoice which IMO is a very, very good price. Tell me if I'm missing something. Plus you are getting the window etching which is probably worth $50.

Sale Price 31878
    Cleaning 95
    Destination 895
    Window Etch 199
    Taxes 2314.69
    Registration 396
    Other fees 23
    Documentation 399

Total - 36200 (OTD)
    edited March 2013
    Never heard of window etching? What is that? Something beneficial or just another add on money making trick?

Also with things like doc fee, cleaning, etch... although dealers break it down separate at the end of the day this all should be taxed right? Only the Vehicle reg would be a part that is not taxed?

Seem like at the end of it all the only legit "doc fee" is really the vehicle registration/license which generally should be $200 to $400?
    edited March 2013
    The etching, I believe but am not sure, is your VIN etched into all your window glass which makes less of a target for theft. It is another add-on money maker for the dealer but at least you're getting some value out of it but nothing close to what they charge. That's why I just threw out a number of $50. It's probably not worth even that unless your car is stolen. Then it may be worth something.......to your insurance company. I don't ever my insurance company asking me if my windows are etched!

Doc fees are different by state and regional custom and vary greatly. They are not required by law usually but in IL they are limited to about $161. Also in IL, if a dealer charges doc fees they have to be charged to all customers the same or charges of discrimination can result.

Registration fees can also vary greatly by state and some states are pretty expensive. As far as which items are taxable or not would depend on the particlular state. In this case even if add up all the junk and apply tax, the tax amount for just those items shouldn't amount to that much.

Really, it doesn't matter what they add in or what they call it. It's the bottom line that counts. I know people that will pay hundreds more for the car but they are so proud that they talked the dealer out of this fee or that. Go figure.
  • bliss5bliss5 Member Posts: 3
    I have been quoted a price of $37500 for 2013RDX AWD TECH with wheel lock and door guard. Price excludes title and taxes. Includes destination. Is this a good price? And what is the popular color?
    I was quoted 37310 for the sAme car with roof rack, running, boards, all weather mats. I am still trying to carve out something for a nontech all wheel drive lease. Im thinking a snowy day like today may be a time to strike at the dealerships with the rock bottom offers.
  • johnacurajohnacura Member Posts: 6
    FYI, the 2014 RDX's will be produced in Mid April for deliveries beginning in May.
    John
  • allaboutme1allaboutme1 Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2013
    I am hoping they will include fog lights with the 2014. My wifes CRV exl has them and her car cost $6K less then the RDX. Crazy to pay an extra $500 for something any luxury vehicle should have standard.

How do you know the 2014's are coming out in May? Dealer told me the fall.
    Do you know if they made any improvements?

I am debating between Subaru Outback 3.6 (what Icurrently drive) , Forester 2.0XT and RDX.
    I am a Honda/ Acura /Subaru guy (last car was a TSX). Switched to Subaru during recession.
    I think i am ready to switch back but it all hinges on the deals or lack there of that are out there.
    edited March 2013
    I was going on past history of Acura intros which is why I said "probably". Where did you get your info???
    edited March 2013
    wasn't your post i was responding to.
    I think and hope April makes sense.
    Local dealer in MA told me the fall.
    I know years back when I bought a TSX they added fog lights in the second year of production.
    Not sure if I am willing to wait more then another month or two.
    Someone posted that they got the dealer to install and bought an AWD for 33,500? That deal might work for me but i think i'll have a tough time duplicating it.
    lol. And it wasn't your post I was responding to. I still think it will be later this year as I haven't read or heard anything about the 2014s yet and if they are getting ready to put in production in a couple of weeks I think there would have been something leaked. The 2014 MDX is going to be shown at the NY auto show soon and there has been all kinds of info on that. To my knowledge that doesn't come out until summer or fall. I realize the MDX is complete redo but I'm sure they will make some changes(like maybe foglights) to the 2014.

I think they leave some things off the base that are really wanted in hopes that people will upgrade to the Tech to get them.
    edited March 2013
    I agree that they leave things off in the hope that people will upgrade to the tech. Everybody has a different opinion on this stuff but the only thing that's missing that i really care about is HID & fog. I can live without HID but it drives me crazy when cars have cutouts for fogs and they cover them with plastic covers. Risdual is also higher for non tech units. I guess i either need to wait or see if a dealer witll give up margin and include them in an agressive deal. If not then Subaru keeps me as a customer.
    I really want to keep to a budget of around 30K. I am willing to consider 33-34 but after that i get cold feet. I put 30K on a year and cars depreciate fast under that kind if mileage.
    Don't forget, it's not just the end of the month; but the end of the quarter for most dealers...time to MAKE THOSE NUMBERS!!! ;)

I'd be all over the best no/no lease I could find right now...fall in love with the vehicle and buy it in three years.
    "I agree that they leave things off in the hope that people will upgrade to the tech"
    That's the whole idea behind various trim levels. Volvo will build a vehicle for you exactly as you wish if you want to pick it up in Europe. I think Lexus and Acura(among others) are smart to have package(s) deals for combos of options. One buyer wants fogs no matter what; another, like me, couldn't care less about them. Same for 19" wheels that some think should be standard or even HID w/LED tail lights that some think are de rigeuer. Others feel that way about roof rails...can't please everybody for $30K. Build a bundle, discount it a bit, put it on the vehicle...smart marketing.(Flexibility to change the recipe in subsequent years...something may come along to replace in-dash Nav, for example).

BTW, the difference in the driving experience between the RDX and any Subaru, for me, puts them in different segments. I understand the appeal of the OB, but it ain't no RDX on the road.
  • westcoastipawestcoastipa Member Posts: 2
    This looks like a good price...can i get the dealer name please? Thanks
    How much is this worth? I notice that some RDX have it and other do not. Dealer says it adds 400 to the overall cost of a base RDX.

For base AWD RDX (no body side molding) i am at $34,600 plus tax and doc OTD would be $36,800.

My wife still favors the Mazda mainly cause she likes the power hatch and because the price we got was below invoice. By my calc the price i am at with the RDX is 4.4% above invoice.

What is worse is the color that she likes seems to be the on base RDX which has the molding which will add to the price. Is this something they could easily through in at No Charge?

The wife still favors the Mazda ( I don't) mainly cause she likes the power hatch and because the price we got was below invoice.

Wife says she would go for the rdx only if she can get the color she wants and that it would cost less or equal to the deal of the mazda which has a OTD just below $36,000. Or if we can get it with the power hatch (basically tech pack out of our bduget).

My wife favors the Mazda mainly cause she likes the power hatch and because the price we got was below invoice. Also because of rear AC vents and bigger car.
    What color she wants on the rdx. I know no rear vents is something that worries me on this car. They most likely leave it at invoice for you...
  • johnacurajohnacura Member Posts: 6
    I work for an Acura dealer in Cary, NC. The 2014's are being built in April. Delivery in May. No word on any changes. They tell us when they tell the public.
    John
    Side molding is a $250 option...Is the dealer charging $150 to install? Yikes.
    Tell your wife that the Acura RDX is final manufactured in USA< and has 65% of its parts made in the USA. She is supporting American Jobs

Mazda's are mostly foriegn with little USA parts or manufacturing

If it wasn't for this FACT I wouldn't even be considering the RDX.

If we want the country to get better we have to support Jobs for our brothers and sisters
  • krish123krish123 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased new acura rdx awd with tech package $39000 which includes tilte and taxes. my state tax is 6%
  • bliss5bliss5 Member Posts: 3
    That's a great deal. Are you from Michigan? It which dealer did you buy from? Does your price include destination charges?