Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura RDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tennis32801tennis32801 Member Posts: 6
    I only paid $31,500 plus ttl, nothing else. Good luck.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    I completely agree, bgillette79. I definitely would not purchase a 2008 model at this point unless it was a lot cheaper than a 2009 model. To me the '09s are the sweet spot on the MDX right now. They have decent dealer cash and special financing rates available on them, certainly better than what will be available on the 2010 models when they finally arrive at dealers. Plus, the '09 MDX doesn't have the new Acura styling.

As someone who has owned several Acuras in the past, I am completely perplexed by what Acura has done with the "beak" as some call it on the TL and RL. I realize that styling is subjective, but to me it looks absolutely terrible. I know many people who agree with me. I wonder if Acura did any focus groups or polls about the new look before rolling it out. I have yet to find a single person who likes the new look better than the old. Perhaps someone here does and they will chime in to defend it.

Acuras are great vehicles. They are reliable, have decent performance, and come loaded to the gills with neat options...I just don't like the new look at all.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi tommy. While cash is king in many types of transactions today, that still isn't the case at dealers. I suppose that the fact that a consumer can pay cash for their new vehicle assures dealers that any deal is reached will go through, but in most instances dealers would much rather have consumers finance or lease their new vehicle.

There are a number of reasons for this, from the small fees that dealers generate by running deals through manufacturers captive finance companies, to the marking up of rates to add additional profit to deals when then can, to getting consumers to focus on "the payment" rather than their vehicle's actual selling price. Most dealers I know would rather have someone finance their new vehicle, assuming that they qualify.

Car_man
    Host
  • ebcarbuyerebcarbuyer Member Posts: 17
    I bought mine for $31.4k, destination included, plus TT&L. No options except wheel locks and free first service.
  • tommy_gunntommy_gunn Member Posts: 38
    Car_man -

I agree with you on several points. The new grill designs are horrid, I cannot imagine they polled customers and did research at a high level, given the overall resounding NO that is coming as feedback on the new look. I hate it, and that is probably why I will pull the trigger here on an 09 RDX once I find my color and price match.

I am on my 4th Honda/Acura (s2000) and the RDX will be my 5th. Can't say enough good things about them, just hope they continue to boost the engines in the future to keep up with Lexus and Infiniti.

And I guess car buying with cash has positives and negatives. I think if you have 100% cash to buy a car, you have the ultimate edge, hands down. You can walk in and say "i can buy right this second if you give me the fair price i want". No worrying about qualifying or paperwork or whatever.
    But I suppose 100% financing customers are a close second because the interest rate margin supplies a lot of margin as well. But I truly don't know how much of that the local dealer actually gets. I mean if I borrow at 2.9%, there is not a lot of profit generated there to share. More than 0 if I pay cash of course, but still. And I guess most don't qualify for 2.9%, many are at 15-20%, which is a huge profit margin.

Of course there are always those consumers that still fall for the "payment" figure and the "four square" techniques, some never learn.
    >> does anyone know if the july 7 deadline for the $2500 dealer cash will be extended? I have to imagine they will extend it up until the 2010 models are out..?
  • drob012drob012 Member Posts: 2
    Where did you get one for 31.4? What market are you in? Lowest I can find is 32.5 in south fl.
  • sethknsethkn Member Posts: 2
    I actually think a cash deal sometimes doesnt work out to the dealer advantage. Even with the 2.9% financing offer Acura ran, the dealers were still making a couple hundred bucks on the transaction. Dont get me wrong, cash is king, and I think you have a lot more flexibility in your bargaining power with cash. I just bought an 09' RDX w/ tech in May, cash deal. The first dealer I went to really f**cked around with me, I bascially said this is a cash deal, I see through research (on sites like this) they are going for around 32, now give me your best deal and I will either say yes or no. Not being the salesmans fault (I really wanted to buy from them because of how good a salesman he was). but they really dicked around with me and started "haggling" (starting at $33,800, not exactly their best offer) so I walked out. I ended up going to the other area dealer and getting my RDX for around $32,500 including the wheel lock, cargo tray, and mud flaps.

Long story short, the dealer didnt really care that I had cash in hand ready to go, and I still needed to use conventional negotiating techniques to get the price that I wanted.
    seth, you are right in your findings. there are so many dealers, and some are willing to bargain and some aren't, no matter what. some try to stick to their guns like this is 1955 and it boggles me

I emailed 5 area dealers last week and one had the gusto to reply and quote $1 below MSRP at $37,000+ ... I replied laughing saying are you serious? And he replied saying absolutely. I don't know if he was f***ing with me because he thought I was just an internet time waster or if he really thinks he can get msrp for this vehicle in a recession. I don't know, but I told him to erase my info and go jump off a bridge.

Even my preferred local dealer, from whom my brother and father both have Acura's, won't go below $33,800 at this point. I have two bids under $32k with destination, before even going to the showrooms, of two other dealers a little farther away. I am hoping to print those out and have my preferred dealer match. If he doesn't, oh well.

Conventional negotiating techniques are certainly still in full effect!
  • acurashopperacurashopper Member Posts: 9
    I drove both and found the nav system too distracting - I kept wanting to watch the mpg meter instead of focusing my attention on the road.

Although I found an internet site for $29.5k, the local quotes I received ranged from $29.9k to $31.4k. It's amazing how how quickly the true market price (right around $30k here) will emerge once you start comparision shopping.

My best deal was $29.9 plus tax tag and title for a base model with the mats (carpet and all weather), mud flaps, trunk tray and wheel locks. I don't know where people bought their 2009 RDXs for $28-29k, but I offered a dealer $29k plus tax (cash) for one that's been in his inventory for a year and he passed on the offer. He said that he couldn't afford to sell it to me at that price. Oh well, it's still sitting in on his lot and I'm picking up my new RDX from another area dealer tomorrow.

RDX inventories are extremely limited in my area and if you want something other than white, black or gray, you'd better move fast. The law of supply and demand definitely works. Dealers were much more aggressive with their pricing on the tons of TLs and TSXs they had in their inventory.
  • daveydogdaveydog Member Posts: 4
    So after speaking with various dealers in obtaining a competitive price on a RDX w/tech I managed to purchase one today for 32,149 (destination included) plus ttl. I will be picking up the vehicle Monday. I'm scared these dealers will pull fast one on me the day I pick up the vehicle by adding additional fees. Have any of you ever had or heard of this possible scenerio?
  • ebcarbuyerebcarbuyer Member Posts: 17
    I'm in Northern Ca. Keep in mind I had dealers telling me they couldn't go below $33k-$34k. So depending on how far you want to travel, you have to find the right dealership who is willing to bargain. Some won't budge, some will. And don't talk to the sales staff. Go directly to the Fleet or Internet manager. If your ready to buy now, tell them that. If they think you're just wasting their time, they're less likely to get you a bottom line number. Good luck.
  • sethknsethkn Member Posts: 2
    Congrats Davey on your purchase. Not knowing if you financed/leased/paid cash for the RDX, I dont know what specifically you should look out for. You can research the title/registration fees with your state to see how much they cost, and you could even call other dealers to determine what their "standard" fees. The documentation fee (seperate from title/reg fees) should be negotiable (although in NC I think all dealers charge a state regulated fee). They are probably going to try to sell you lojack, extended warranties, scotchguarding, windows treatments, and other crap. I personally didnt buy any of these but bought the acuracare warranty online at bernardiwarranty.com. They are reputable honda/acura dealer in Massachusetts, and sold it right around dealer cost.
  • daveydogdaveydog Member Posts: 4
    Hey Thanks Sethkn. I will be financing my purchase. Will be picking up the vehicle tomorrow and will report the whole experience.
  • byerly0123byerly0123 Member Posts: 3
    Acura has no more incentives on the 2009 Acura RDX. NO $2500, NO Financing, NO special lease programs. And you can't find too many on dealer lots.
    that is ridiculous. there are plenty of RDX's on lots in so cal. we are in a recession, the worst auto makers have ever seen. it is truly confounding as to why Acura thinks they can play this type of game. pull the plug on great deals, in the middle of the summer, the best time to buy? before the 2010 model is even out yet?

if they don't continue the offers on the 09 rdx, they just lost a customer.
    I work for an Acura dealer and we were very shocked when this came through.
    We thought they might because there are very little amount of these in the midwest area.
  • acurashopperacurashopper Member Posts: 9
    That's too bad about the incentives going away. The Acura dealer I purchased my RDX from said the incentives were the main reason customer traffic had picked up since May.

RDX inventories are limited in the SE as well. Can't find a red one within 500 miles. When a blue one popped up on an area dealer's lot, I immediately went for a test drive. It's now mine.

Makes me very glad I pressed forward with closing the deal before the holiday weekend ended. I had a feeling the incentives might end and I needed to stay within a certain budget.
  • drumikdrumik Member Posts: 12
    Finally I started looking for new car

I got few quotes from the dealers

One of the quoted 2009 RDX Tech.... $35,450 plus tax and motor vehicle

I think that this is a little bit high,2010 will be out soon

What do think should I wait until August and try it again?
  • depdep Member Posts: 79
    ????? Unless you mean CND$35,450 the dealer is crazy. You should be looking at about $31,000-$32,000 for the 09 RDX Tech + TTL.

You can buy now at that price if you do it right.
    Thanks

Just got a new quote

dep, I agree that quote was crazy, but remember Acura pulled the $2500 cash incentive and interest rates, so 31-32k might be tough, even though we all know those are the numbers we have seen over the past few months ...

I too am finally ready to buy and will probably no longer consider the RDX because of Acura's dumb decision to take away the cash rebate

best bet is to wait till Aug/Sept when the 2010 comes out, then they have to blow out the 09s
  • shannon72781shannon72781 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought mine last night...I paid 34,450 for it which now seems to be above yours! I actually asked some dealers to match to beat it and they laughed. Sooo...thought I was doing a good job!

Oh well. I'm regretting missing out in June but at that time we were still considering the Highlander.
    Did that price included docs & destination? (paid 34,450)
  • arucaaruca Member Posts: 4
    I'm trying to decide whether to buy a new 2009 RDX now or wait until next month. The sales tax here in MA is increasing next month, however I figured there may be a chance at Acura incentives next month. Thoughts?
    Acura just released a $1500 dealer incentive on the RDX's. You might want to buy one now because there are very few out there.
    which dealers? I do not see anything on their website.
  • fadeoutmystarfadeoutmystar Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,

Anyone have any great experiences/deals down here in Souther California? I'm
    waiting on a price from a local dealer, but I'm not optimistic after reading some
    of the deals some of you got in July. Any help is appreciated!
    I am in the same location but stopped looking after the $2500 dealer cash and financing disappeared. But the best pricing I got was from Ball Honda in National City. They quoted me 31.5k right before the deals went away. I should have bought then.

KM Acura is the worst, the only others to compete with Ball were in temecula or tustin
    Yes that includes destination...docs was another 45 dollars
  • fuzzlefuzzle Member Posts: 5
    We bought an RDX last night, picking it up tonight.
    Paid $35K + free maintenance for 4 yr / 50K miles.

Another incentive that a lot of people don't about.... Car Sales Tax Deduction for 2009
    http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=204519,00.html

You can deduct the sales tax and local tax for a new vehicle purchased in 2009 :)
    What does the free maintenance include?
  • fuzzlefuzzle Member Posts: 5
    All scheduled maintenance (oil changes, tire rotations, change fluids in differential - transmission - transfer case - brake fluid, air filter, etc) there's probably more I'm missing.
    I have a question about the dealer incentive...can dealers choose to participate or not?

I bought one the day this was suppossedly released and my dealer never mentioned anything about it, which makes me mad.

Thanks all.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    When will the 2010 RDX arrive on dealer lots?
  • LisaDLisaD Member Posts: 50
    Hi shannon72781. All dealers receive the dealer cash from Acura to use as they see fit. They can either pocket the entire amount or use part or all of it to lower the selling price of a vehicle. This is why it is very important to thoroughly research any potential purchase to find out about any available cash incentives before pulling the trigger.

Car_man
    Host
  • sachse2009sachse2009 Member Posts: 2
    My lease on 2007 Acura is getting over by end of 2009 and I had it for 12K/yr miles and I have already logged 36 K miles. I have an option to buy if for 20K.
    The car is in good condition.
    SHould I give it back or buy it assuming the total miles will be around 42 K at that time.
    I am paying 600 dls/month for lease now and thankfully I am almost done
    your best chance not to eat a serious amount of cash is to buy the car and keep it or sell it yourself, or trade it in for another Acura (you can negotiate to "forgive" the overage on the miles if you buy/lease another Acura).

Otherwise good luck paying 15-20 cents or whatever on 20,000 miles. Not sure why you leased a car you were going to drive 20,000+ miles per year
  • sachse2009sachse2009 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Tommy_gunn for the input.
    I would have about 14K/Yr when the lease is over and I will be about 6K miles over and it may cost about 1000 bucks if I decide to return.
    Do you think the car will be worth less than 21 grand by the end of the year.
    it is in really good condition and I have spent 1100 bucks to replace the tires.
  • nakitdnanakitdna Member Posts: 5
    i got a quote today:
    Sales price the 2010 RDX Tech AWD $35,800. w/o destination of course.
  • stan229stan229 Member Posts: 6
    That sounds like a pretty good deal. Where was this?
  • renovarrenovar Member Posts: 1
    That sounds about right... We just bought our 2010 AWD tech pack today. One thing I learned from my buying experience at this stage is this: Do your homework, folks! I woulda gotten ripped off big if I havent. The negotiation process went like this:

MSRP for this car is 38.4k.
    The dealer's initial offer is 500 off MSRP, or 37.9k, saying big demands, relatively low supply, and that he doesn't have such a big mark up anymore, whine ^3, blah^3...
    The next 1/2 hour we basically went back and forth, but I just seem to unable to get him below 37.5k, which he said would be a "take it or leave it" final price.

Then, I pulled out an offer from another dealership 1 hour away showing a quote of 36550 including destination. I told him to make both of our lives easier - he make slightly less profit (but still a profit), and saves me a couple hours of driving to that dealership and back. The salesman told us that he'll only go up to his manager on the condition that if they match it, we'll buy it, which I agreed to (in retrospect, I should have asked them to BEAT it, but oh well...). After about 15 minute of back and forth with his manager, they begrudgingly matched it. Looking at his face afterwards was priceless... and tells us that the price is probably a competitive. It's CERTAINLY not a price I could have gotten without the credible leverage in hand. I probably saved nearly 1000 bucks for less than an hour worth of work, in between TV commercials the night before emailing a couple dealers for their quotes.

The moral of the story is: do your homework, come prepared with credible leverages in hand. I think the "TMV" feature is a good start. That, along with a couple quotes from dealers within an hour or two from you, should give you a good starting point for negotiations.

Happy hunting... It's a pretty sweet car that is geared to the teeth (the same gear that you will be paying a boatload for in a BM or a Lexus), for a reasonable price! From a purely economical standpoint, I would probably went with the 09 tech model (most dealers gives a 2k rebate, so you can probably get one for 32k), but my wife insisted on getting the '10 model for the looks... Oh well.. :lemon: :lemon:
    I agree. The way I do my homework is to first email the dealers around my area for their "out-of-the-door" price for the color and package I wanted. Next, I'd forward the quote I got to the other dealers to ask them to beat it.

I'd also check www.dealerrater.com for the quoter's rating for obvious reasons before visiting them.
  • markf68markf68 Member Posts: 2
    I've been emailing dealerships in my area and got a quote for
    2010 FWD RDX base= 32,850 (MSRP= 33,330) and tech 35, 056 (36,430). Do you think I can go lower or is this a good price I wanted to spend $35,000 for every thing (TTL). I'd need to get the price down another $1,700- do you think that's possible. this is the first time I am buying a car so I have no idea what it's like-
    Thanks for the help!
    Marianne
    I think those price are high. They are at least $500 more than the TMV suggested price.
  • markf68markf68 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! i've been trying to find the TMV for the 2010- where do you go to find that?
    Marianne