Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda CX-7 Visibility Problems

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited March 2014 in Mazda
Mazda CX-7 Visibility Problems

Comments

• Options
    cgartencgarten Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a new vehical and the cx-7 caught my eye. I have the problem of being 6'5" with a long torso so I have to try on vehicals and some that I can sit in the windshield is too low and I can't see out that well. I was wondering if the cx-7 is a legitimate choice or should I keep looking?
  • Options
    vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    I'm 6'4" and fit fairly well. You'll just have test drive it and see how it fits. Be sure to try one with the moon roof, as the MR requires extra space in the roof, thus reducing head room a bit.

Vince.
  • Options
    tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    I'm 6'3" and tested the GT w/moonroof, forgetaboutit, my head was literally touching the roof and my line of sight was directly into the sun visor. Moonroof is not an option for a tall driver, the roof is low to start with and they purposely raise the seat off the floor to give it more of a "commanding view."
  • Options
    taz6taz6 Member Posts: 19
    At 6'3" the moonroof was out, but I find this common on most vehicles. Tried one withoout the moonroof and it was fine.
  • Options
    I have the AWD GT W/moon roof and at 6'4" have no problems with head room. I just recline seatback slightly, which I find quite comfortable. If the seatback is straight up and down, of course your head will be touching the roof. Have no problems with visibility with windshield.

Vince
  • Options
    tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    "If the seatback is straight up and down, of course your head will be touching the roof." My brother has a Outback with moonroof and I've driven in his car with the seatback straight up and down and wasn't even close to the roof. That has nothing to do with it, again, SUVs raise the height on the seat above the floor to intentionally give 5'10" men and smaller soccer moms the "command seating" position. Unfortunately there are taller drivers that would appreciate a suv with a moonroof and shouldn't have to lean the seatback like a 18yr old boy cruising around trying to look cool to do it.
  • Options
    allen53flallen53fl Member Posts: 41
    NO headroom or visibility issues w/us, (btw, one driver is 6'3", the other is 5'7").

Came from a '03 Honda Accord EX-V6, and we can see MUCH better, (forward, sides and rear). The CX-7 is also much easier to backup into the garage compared to the Honda.

We are extremely happy w/the CX-7.
  • Options
    fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Would like to know what your gas mileage has been and have you had any problems with the 3 main issues that have popped up on this forum concerning the CX-7 including the check engine light (due to improper gas cap fit), luke-warm air-conditioning performance, and the transmission "clunking" when taking off from a standing start?
  • Options
    There are separate discussion groups for CEL, A/C and transmission issues. Please post your questions in the respective groups.

Vince.
  • Options
    markmad3markmad3 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if the wipers on the CX-7 are identical to wipers on another Mazda vehicle? I'm thinking of replacing my wipers but the CX-7 is not listed on any of the replacement wipers selector guides yet.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    They are different than any other Mazda. So only Mazda offers at this point($24/$19).
  • Options
    defreitasmdefreitasm Member Posts: 152
    Unless there is something unique about the blade you could probably just measure them and buy something off the shelf at Walmart or any autoparts dealer.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Or you can get the rubber replacement from Mazda ($7/$5).
  • Options
    I have been needing to get some wiper refills for my other vehicle and I noticed that many aftermarket places are only selling the whole blade and not refills. Also, the prices on the blades have gone up quite a bit to the point that they are nearly what the dealer is charging. I guess marketing everything as premium makes them worth more.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think Defreitasm's point was that you could buy any refill, just so long as the length was ok. Heck, you could probably buy the longest one in the parts store and cut it to fit with some snips.

The refills are pretty much universal for most cars - hopefully Mazda hasn't introduced some weird blade that won't accept a typical refill. The refills I got for my Subaru pictured below cost less than 1/2 what the whole arm assembly sold for.

See more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • Options
    The refills are pretty much universal for most cars

Except that widths of the blades can vary. Most OEMs now use a narrow witdth blade but there are exceptions. Also, some frames will not work well with a plastic rail refill so staying with a metal rail is best.

In my days in aftermarket parts, I'd typically suggest that you replace the complete wiper the first time and then just refill those.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I guess there are a few advantages to driving 10 year old cars then. ;)
  • Options
    defreitasmdefreitasm Member Posts: 152
    Walmart has both refills and whole blade kits. I'm not sure if they will fit the CX7. The only time you need to replace the whole thing is when it losses its spring tention.
This discussion has been closed.